Have a question about watching Japanese TV from overseas? Ask here!

Talk about the culture and entertainment from Nihon.
pato

Re: Comparing Options for Watching Japanese TV from Overseas

Post by pato » Jun 5th, '15, 09:52

risu wrote:
pato wrote:I would like to know if anyone is using there iHome2 tv box?
I have iHome tv box and i love it but i'm kind of interested in the iHome2 since it as more channels. Is it reliable as iHome?
Just read the current page, there's a lot of comments about it.
It was also called Raku TV.
More channels but less stable and worst image quality (no mystery if it requires half of the internet bandwith the Ihome requires).
It appears IHome > Uchi > IHome 2 (Raku) in terms of image quality.
Thanks for your reply!
I guess i wont order it and save money then. :-)

kdjtachi65

Post by kdjtachi65 » Jun 6th, '15, 21:24

risu wrote: It appears IHome > Uchi > IHome 2 (Raku) in terms of image quality.
Right now I believe it's iHome > (Uchi TV / WorldTV) > iHome II.

And iHome II, I've confirmed, has improved the BS and CS stream PQ lately. The UI has also been revamped to mimic IHome and Uchi TV (updated screenshots on Japannettv's website), which I'm of two minds about, because I find I actually prefer WorldTV's screen navigation. Oh well, it's called evolution for a reason.

If they also sharpen their Kanto and Kansai feeds (c'mon Tokyo MX!) I'll have to take another look at it.

supabakakun

Post by supabakakun » Jun 7th, '15, 13:34

pato wrote:About http://japannettv.com/
I would like to know if anyone is using there iHome2 tv box?
I have iHome tv box and i love it but i'm kind of interested in the iHome2 since it as more channels. Is it reliable as iHome?
Also does anyone knows about japannettv? Are they a reliable company?
Thank's in advance for your help!
Japannettv is a very reliable seller, and if the seller that I purchased my iHome from disappears, I will purchase a new one from them. I bought the iHome II setup box from Japannettv and it is reliable. iHome is used the most at our home the most, followed by MaigeTV 3, and then iHome 2. The iHome 2 image quality isn't as good as the other boxes.

pato

Post by pato » Jun 7th, '15, 14:33

supabakakun wrote:
pato wrote:About http://japannettv.com/
I would like to know if anyone is using there iHome2 tv box?
Also does anyone knows about japannettv? Are they a reliable company?
Thank's in advance for your help!
Japannettv is a very reliable seller, and if the seller that I purchased my iHome from disappears, I will purchase a new one from them. I bought the iHome II setup box from Japannettv and it is reliable. iHome is used the most at our home the most, followed by MaigeTV 3, and then iHome 2. The iHome 2 image quality isn't as good as the other boxes.
Thank you so much for your reply!
But the image quality is it really worst, i mean is there a really big difference between iHome and iHome 2?
Oh and also, can you record with iHome 2?

risu

Post by risu » Jun 8th, '15, 07:03

pato wrote:But the image quality is it really worst, i mean is there a really big difference between iHome and iHome 2?
Really depends on the size of the display you're using and the content you're watching.
For me, even IHome is not great with action movies on a 40 inches screen because of the macroblocks appearance. It's really ok for variety shows, documentaries, news or owarai stuff.

pato

Post by pato » Jun 8th, '15, 09:39

risu wrote:
pato wrote:But the image quality is it really worst, i mean is there a really big difference between iHome and iHome 2?
Really depends on the size of the display you're using and the content you're watching.
For me, even IHome is not great with action movies on a 40 inches screen because of the macroblocks appearance. It's really ok for variety shows, documentaries, news or owarai stuff.
Thank's for your reply!
I just wish i could put both next to each other and compare! :-)

kdjtachi65

Post by kdjtachi65 » Jun 8th, '15, 16:07

There's a new video on YouTube that might help: it showcases the iHome II's new UI and gives you a pretty good idea of the video quality. Just do a search on: "freesuntv ihome ii" and watch the vid titled "Ihome II Japanese iptv box with 72 live channels", dated May 25, 2015.

pato

Post by pato » Jun 9th, '15, 01:29

kdjtachi65 wrote:There's a new video on YouTube that might help: it showcases the iHome II's new UI and gives you a pretty good idea of the video quality. Just do a search on: "freesuntv ihome ii" and watch the vid titled "Ihome II Japanese iptv box with 72 live channels", dated May 25, 2015.
Thank's for sharing! Look's pretty good! They don't show price on Freesuntv website.
But now i wonder if i buy it, who should i buy it from? Freesuntv or Japannettv?
Can you record like iHome?

risu

Post by risu » Jun 9th, '15, 08:08

kdjtachi65 wrote:There's a new video on YouTube that might help: it showcases the iHome II's new UI and gives you a pretty good idea of the video quality. Just do a search on: "freesuntv ihome ii" and watch the vid titled "Ihome II Japanese iptv box with 72 live channels", dated May 25, 2015.
Don't know if watching it through YouTube is an accurate demo but i confirm the quality isn't as good as IHome. There's also an horrible stuttering ...

pato

Post by pato » Jun 9th, '15, 09:51

risu wrote:
Don't know if watching it through YouTube is an accurate demo but i confirm the quality isn't as good as IHome. There's also an horrible stuttering ...
It looks cheaper when i look at videos or pictures.
Humm should i buy! :unsure:

kenji321

Post by kenji321 » Jun 9th, '15, 19:39

I figured out a way to access the loop-back stream of WorldTV. When you play a channel the stream becomes available on port 9898. However, you need to know the exact url in order to stream it. A url typically looks like this: http://127.0.0.1:9898/54352349570234825345234.ts.

The down side is that there's no user friendly way to get the url. So, I made a small android app to test it out getting it automatically and was able to play back the stream in mx player. I've only tried this with WorldTV, but the other services may be similar. That said, recordings and such would then be possible to do.

If there's interest. I'd be willing to put something together for people to try.

Side note: I also want to try out making an android app for android tv's live channels framework, so that I can watch channels on my nexus player with the leanback interface. It would be way more appealing in that regard.

sbm888

Post by sbm888 » Jun 9th, '15, 23:57

kenji321 wrote:I figured out a way to access the loop-back stream of WorldTV. When you play a channel the stream becomes available on port 9898. However, you need to know the exact url in order to stream it. A url typically looks like this: http://127.0.0.1:9898/54352349570234825345234.ts.

The down side is that there's no user friendly way to get the url. So, I made a small android app to test it out getting it automatically and was able to play back the stream in mx player. I've only tried this with WorldTV, but the other services may be similar. That said, recordings and such would then be possible to do.

If there's interest. I'd be willing to put something together for people to try.

Side note: I also want to try out making an android app for android tv's live channels framework, so that I can watch channels on my nexus player with the leanback interface. It would be way more appealing in that regard.

interesting! I'd be interested in testing it for you, since I have issues playing the live streaming on my tablet. no issues with the recorded sessions. I've already rooted it, but still only plays for 1 second and blanks out. If there's another app that can access the stream directly, I'd love to try it out - thanks!

jsternbe

Post by jsternbe » Jun 10th, '15, 01:00

Has anyone tried the Hikari Sedai box? (https://japannettv.com/shop/index.php?r ... duct_id=41). It looks like it has an excellent channel lineup. Right now I have the original iHome IP900 box, and I wouldn't hesitate to renew the subscription, but this other box seems to have a better set of channels and it is now a lot cheaper than when I bought the iHome. The only thing I would be missing is Channel NECO, but maybe I could get my old drama / Booska fix somewhere else. Anyway, I am just not sure of how reliable it is or what the quality looks like, so I was hoping that someone has some experience with it.

risu

Post by risu » Jun 10th, '15, 06:57

IHome requires a minimum of 4mbps, Hikari 3mbps.
Hence, I suppose Hikari image quality is lower.

jsternbe

Post by jsternbe » Jun 10th, '15, 11:14

risu wrote:IHome requires a minimum of 4mbps, Hikari 3mbps.
Hence, I suppose Hikari image quality is lower.
That is what I would guess, but I don't know for sure. If iHome never really gets near 4 Mbps or if the Hikari has a more sophisticated MPEG decoder in it, then they could be the same. So far I can't find a review of the Hikari.

risu

Post by risu » Jun 10th, '15, 13:26

Sure, it depends on the profile used with the x264 compression and how powerfull is the box to decode it.
But, appart from this, another important critera is the number of servers they have and where they are located to provide the best service.
It is very difficult to have accurate information from the sellers/providers.

The best information you can have is the customers experience, i wouldn't trust anything else.
Hikari seems relatively new, should wait to read some reviews i guess ...

renarayne

Post by renarayne » Jun 10th, '15, 13:29

On the topic of mbps, is there a way to know how many mbps the Uchi stream is coming in as?
I'm guessing not as when asking the seller they only knew the minimum required rather than the actual.
It would be useful to know for when I record the stream to a Hauppauge HD PVR2, where you set how many mbps to record at. My M8 Android box is connected via Ethernet (100mbps I think).

kdjtachi65

Post by kdjtachi65 » Jun 10th, '15, 18:09

renarayne wrote:On the topic of mbps, is there a way to know how many mbps the Uchi stream is coming in as?
There's a free app called "Data counter widget" available on Google Play that tracks your android device's network utilization. I used it while I was testing iHome II and Uchi TV. Install it and let Uchi TV run for two hours. That'll give you a good idea.

I'm pretty sure Uchi TV was averaging ~900MBPS, but I don't have the spreadsheet I was tracking it with anymore. I'll reinstall the app and do a quick test.

renarayne

Post by renarayne » Jun 10th, '15, 19:37

Ah, I see, thank you, that's very useful! I'll have to look into that app.
I've been capturing at 3.80mbps but maybe that's overkill and just creating bloat, perhaps I can bump that down.

kdjtachi65

Post by kdjtachi65 » Jun 10th, '15, 20:41

Okay, I reinstalled Data counter widget.

To benchmark it, I created a 1GB binary file on my LAMP server and downloaded it using the box's built-in web browser. Data counter widget reported that 984MB had been transferred, which is a variance of approx. 4%. I can live with that for spitballing purposes.

I then reset the widget's counters and ran an Uchi TV stream for one hour. Data counter widget reported that 900MB had been transferred, which boils down to 2mbps: (900/3600)*8 = 2. Ah well, I knew I remembered that "900" from somewhere.

renarayne

Post by renarayne » Jun 10th, '15, 22:32

Wow awesome! Thank you for going to such effort, it's a huge help, I appreciate it. I suck at math XD
I'll definitely bump down my capture bitrate then, that'll save me a good chunk of hard drive space (which I'm always sorely in need of haha).

oosu

Post by oosu » Jun 11th, '15, 06:21

Hello all,

I'm a former NTKTV user looking for another program to use.
I think we all know why NTKTV went down as everyone including myself used the cracked software.

I found tonnes of alternatives to watch Japanese TV.
One website linking all current anime. Usually new link to a show uploads within 3 hours or so. Only problem it doesn't have the current Ultraman.
Another site that uploads current popular show like London Boots and stuff.
For my purposes this is good enough but I would like the freedom to watch other channels.

I am wondering if anybody would like to share a subscription to a new Japanese provider?
I would prefer a pc based program that has timeshifting.
I think this would be:
Skytv365
www.emankai.com

Is this all?
Do any of you know if there are trial periods for any of these?

I would like to do a month or any short trial periods if possible and I am sure I can have that extended like NTKTV.
Before the NTKTV trick, I did a different trick that worked for a year before the NTKTV files where released.
If this works, I would like to work with a small set of people so we don't do too much damage.

If anybody is interested, please send me a private message.

renarayne

Post by renarayne » Jun 11th, '15, 19:37

If you're looking for a free alternative then try the following:

mov3's Streams
http://mov3.co/en/
Individual channel links listed here:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=73546&p=1725911#p1725806

NIJI / BETV
NIJI has become a bit unstable recently, so some have combined it with BETV to get it functional.
Ana E. Hurtado-Maza wrote:Use BETV app instead of niji app, no registration required.
Install the latest Niji version and then install BETV (Download both from appnnn website), close the installer after installation, without initiating the programs.
Go to your Niji folder and copy the ppp.conf file (on your HDD) and paste it into the BETV folder.
Open the BETV software and that's all, enjoy your Japanese Television without registration. The only BUT is no Kansai channels in this version (Only Korean channels instead).
Here's a list of the correspondence between channels that someone kindly posted earlier!
Good luck

oosu

Post by oosu » Jun 11th, '15, 23:39

Nope not looking for free.
Looking for paid sub with monthly or less than monthly payment plan to share.
There will be some hardware requirements on the user's specific pc to be able to share the account.

Trying to give back to this community.
It's so hard to find a replacement for NTKTV.

kdjtachi65

Post by kdjtachi65 » Jun 13th, '15, 04:52

The only Windows-based IPTV solution with timeshifting I'm aware of is here: http://tv-ihome.com/windows/. I believe it's port of the linux iHome code. MisoraHibari recently referenced it and might have more information. They offer a 3-day trial.

sound

Post by sound » Jun 14th, '15, 01:00

Had my Maige TV HD3 now for a few days and it's fantastic (got it from maigetv.com) - took a day or two longer to arrive than I thought it would though - I got worried.
I also thought I'd have to pay import tax but nope, came through okay to me :P :D :dance:

As I promised earlier I'll do a writeup of what I found and my set up.

The picture quality is quite nice and as others have said the quality is better than the iHome.

What does it come with:

Maige TV HD 3 box,
Remote control (no batteries included - takes AAA batteries)
Power adapter (this has a Chinese plug (I think American plugs are the same) at the end of it so you'll need an adapter if you live in the UK - you can simply buy one online or buy a travel adapter from somewhere like Argos/Maplins.
HDMI cable (x1)
AV cable
Network cable (x1)
User Manual (pretty much useless)
1 Year subscription

I also bought the wireless adapter that they provide as an optional extra with it because I wanted to test it out (results for that are below).
You can also buy a powerline ethernet adapter as an optional extra (I didn't buy this from them and got it elsewhere though and is what I'm currently using as my TV/HD monitor is far away from my router).
Note that you you don't need either of these if you're just going to be plugging it in using a normal ethernet cable by the way (they provide one free with the order).

Activation:

You need to activate the box before they'll let you do anything with it. Unfortunately this isn't automated so to do that you just go to their site and click on Activate Service, type in your details and the MAC address which is at the bottom of your MaigeTV and they'll activate it within 24 hours and email you; mine took around 6 hours.

Language:

I'll talk about my set up as some people might be confused about what to choose/do with setting it up.

When you turn it on - as others have already said in this thread - the setting for the language is most likely going to be in Chinese. But the boxes all come with the option of choosing English, Chinese (traditional, simplified), Japanese, Korean in Settings.
If you ask them by email or something they'll probably just send you one with English already chosen for you. Contact them first though and find out.

If you want to change it to English yourself though pretty easy to do, just click the settings button on your remote (the one with the little cog at the the bottom) and choose the the third option down (屏幕输出) which is for Screen. Choose the first dropdown box and scroll until you see English and press OK on your remote to choose it. Then keep pressing down until you go the last button right at the bottom of the the screen which is 保存 (to save your settings).
After that it just restarts quickly and everything is always in English after that.

The main screen has:

Player - will (probably) play things from a hard drive you can put into one of the USB ports - haven't tried this yet,

Services - I think is to see some information about the box - I don't really know/care about that. I think it tells you how many days you have left though, which you can also see on the main screen anyway so it's kind of redundant.

Drama - Can choose drama shows from US, Japan, China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Korea to play back whenever you want. All of them I think seem to come with Chinese subtitles though (live Japanese TV or the 7 day playback for the channels don't have subtitles thankfully). There's 1998 drama shows altogether from all countries at the time of this post. However, there's 139 Japanese dramas to choose from here which is a decent amount but I'm not going to be using this option anyway.

TV - Watch Live TV or choose VOD playback for 7 days. The 7 day playback seems to be for all of their channels (which is pretty huge at over 400). There's options at the top to choose either HD, Comprehensive, News, Sports, Entertainment, Cartoon, Humanity, Japanese, Hong Kong, Taiwan, China, Korea.
Japanese channels list from counting them right now is 48, full list here: http://www.maigetv.com/HD3_Channels_List.pdf

If you want to choose the 7 day playback: choose the channel and click the Menu option on the remote control and choose Playback, it might take two or three seconds to load depending on your connection, then just choose the date/time you want. All of the times have the names of the shows in Japanese available if you want to know exactly what aired. You can also pause playback of this and fast forward through commercials, etc and rewind which is pretty cool :lol

If you want to adjust the volume on the MaigeTV itself: you need to have something playing first and then press back or forward buttons on your remote, there's also a mute option. I couldn't figure this out at first as I was playing the audio directly on a HD monitor and didn't have a way to adjust the audio on the monitor :D

On Demand - This is essentially movies to choose from to play back. At the time of writing it's at 5724 titles altogether (most of them from the US I think) but there's no real way to separate and see the Japanese titles as they're split into genres like Action, War, Comedy, etc. The titles are in Chinese too and these come with Chinese subtitles (does anyone know if the subtitles can be turned off?). Again, if anyone's confused there's thankfully no Chinese subtitles on Japanese live TV or the 7 day playback. From flicking through it has some new Japanese movies which is nice but again not really something I'll really be using this for; I just want the live TV and 7 day playback for the channels.

Help - Tells you what all of the buttons on the remote control does when you're in one of the screens.

Settings:
System - information like the version of firmware, mac address, local ip address, etc.
Network - where you can choose a server you always want (it's set to Automatic by default), Access Mode (choose between Wireless or Wired Connection), Connection Mode (Automatic by default - you can change your settings like IP address stuff here if you want to here - I guess maybe you could set up smart DNS if you wanted to),
Screen has System Language, Video Standard (can choose between PAL or NTSC), Resolution (1080i, 1080p, 720p, 480i, 480p, 576i, 576p), Time Zone (I'd recommend setting it to Tokyo time so you don't need to keep thinking about time zone differences when looking up TV listings somewhere else), Energy Saving (powers down when not in use). You can also change the brightness, contrast, saturation of the output picture here by clicking the appropriate colour on your remote (it gets a little annoying though because you need to keep clicking it to make it come back around again) - I've left everything at 50 and you can just adjust your TV/monitor if you need to anyway.
Network test - test to see if your connection is okay
Upgrade - I guess this is to upgrade firmware (stay away if you don't know what you're doing).
Help - Same as the Help that was described above.
Restart - Reboot it (I think - I'm not clicking it in case it resets everything :D You can just click the power button your remote anyway).

Network Connection:

I'm currently using it with a powerline ethernet adapter as the computer/TV stuff is far away from my router.

Results vary when using ethernet/powerline/wireless and I'll talk about each.

The Maige TV site says: "Internet connection requirements are 2M for regular and 4M for HD channels" but I don't know how accurate that is and what settings they were using.

Ethernet:
Everything is super fast on 1080p and 1080i and works perfectly with no buffering/stuttering for me, some people in the thread have said that it buffers a little every now and then but I guess it just depends on your connection speed.

Powerline Ethernet:
Same performance as ethernet with 1080p and 1080i and streams great. Good alternative to using a long ethernet cable if your TV/computer is far away from your router. It's also a steady network connection unlike wireless.
Used a different powerline ethernet adapter than the one they provide as an optional paid addon when you order a Maige TV HD3 (I'm using Netgear Powerline 500 XAVB5221 adapters) but the one they provide should work okay too.
When testing the connection speed of the adaptor though with a PC I noticed I was only getting around 15mbps download (I've got over 100mpbs connection but I'm using surge power connectors so there's going to be some loss there) but even with that loss everything streams nicely. Powerline adapters are actually very easy to set up but I guess they can be confusing for first time users. Tutorial for how to use the adapters: or

Wireless:
Using the wireless adaptor they provide with the MaigeTV as an optional paid addon - it just plugs into one of the two USB ports at the back.
Wireless didn't work well for me, only worked okay with 720p when plugged directly into a HD TV. However, when I plugged into a Hauppage HD PVR 2 to record, the audio was choppy. The recordings probably would have come out okay but it would be nice to actually listen to what's going on at the same time too. When the resolution for the MaigeTV was lowered to 480p it worked fine.

If you do have buffering issues just pause the video for a few seconds and then play it again or just wait for the live TV to fix itself by choosing a different server.

So if you want to record using a PVR either make sure you have either have a powerful wireless connection or use powerline, or even a long ethernet cable if your TV or HD monitor is far away from your router. I think all of these boxes are pretty much the same in that regard though - if you want a decent picture without frames being dropped/buffering issues wireless isn't the best thing.

Recording stuff:

You might have a different or better way of doing this but this is the easiest way I found with using a Hauppage HD PVR 2 to record it with (thanks to renarayne for suggesting that). Using the 1512 model but I guess the gaming edition should work okay too.

Put the HDMI from the MaigeTV into the HDMI In of the Hauppage HD PVR 2, then and connect the HDMI Out of the HD PVR 2 to the HDMI port of your HD TV or HD Monitor. Then simply put the USB cable from HD PVR 2 into a computer/laptop and start the software that Hauppage provides. Then you can either click the Start button to start recording or press the big button on the HD PVR 2 to record (if you use the big button make sure the software on your computer is running first).

Make sure the volume is up (doesn't have to be really loud) on your MaigeTV by the way as I messed up one of my recordings because I'd turned it down earlier :sweat:. To do that make sure something is playing first and then adjust the volume by clicking the right and left buttons your remote control.

I found this the best option because all of the stress/work goes to the HD PVR 2 and it doesn't affect your computer's performance at all so you don't need a fast computer, it's essentially just dumping what it records to the computer's hard drive (you can also change the location it saves it to in the recording software and save it to an external drive or something). When you're recording you can watch it back on your laptop/computer if you want to.

You can carry on using your computer without it affecting anything and can mute the Hauppage software if you want to (it won't affect the recording).
If audio is choppy while playing it back on your HD TV don't worry because the recordings themselves won't be, the audio should be fine though if you play it through your computer (but it has a delay of like 2 or 3 seconds because it's recording so you can just watch it on your computer if that's the case. It also might be because your network connection does seem to affect things if you plug it into a PVR so try using ethernet or powerline instead of wireless (more about that in the section above).

A note about the HD PVR 2's recording software: I tried using it on a Mac but they only provide a link to a third party application on their site which is...er...not great. It got frustrating so I just ended up using the official program on Windows and it works beautifully - you can even set how long to record for and choose MP4, TS, M2TS and even resize it automatically and stuff if you want to and adjust the quality settings of the recording. You can also export your TS or M2TS files to MP4 afterwards which doesn't re-encode anything but puts it into a nice MP4 container :clap:

Note that this isn't necessary but you can also play around with HDMI switches and so on if you want to mess around with using other monitors with your PC connected to it with HDMI, etc.

Other stuff:

I believe it also might come with playback software for computer/ipad/iphone that you can download, I haven't tried this stuff out though, I've just read what other people have posted about it so far on other sites. Will probably update this post if I try it. Also, if anyone wants me to go into how to cut out commericals, etc easily and without quality loss I can update this.

Anyway the Maige TV HD3 does everything I want it to do: play TV and I can choose 7 day playback and being able to record using a HD PVR 2.
Hope that helps. The subscription fees are pretty damn cheap too when compared to other ones.

It would be nice if I could schedule my recordings though, I'm hoping to find a way.

tl;dr: it's cool :D :wub:
Last edited by sound on Jun 14th, '15, 05:25, edited 4 times in total.

renarayne

Post by renarayne » Jun 14th, '15, 03:22

You can also export your TS or M2TS files to MP4 afterwards which doesn't re-encode anything but puts it into a nice MP4 container
Ooh really!?
I was avoiding the HD PVR 2's "Record as MP4" option since comparing it to the TS files seemed to reduce picture quality.
But I find it easier to cut commercials out with other software and they don't accept TS files, so I was creating MP4 containers via FFMPEG but it ends up with audio/video sync issues.
If there's no sync issues maybe I'll try the Hauppauge Capture option (Export to MP4 under Edit I guess).

sound

Post by sound » Jun 14th, '15, 03:43

renarayne wrote:
You can also export your TS or M2TS files to MP4 afterwards which doesn't re-encode anything but puts it into a nice MP4 container
Ooh really!?
I was avoiding the HD PVR 2's "Record as MP4" option since comparing it to the TS files seemed to reduce picture quality.
But I find it easier to cut commercials out with other software and they don't accept TS files, so I was creating MP4 containers via FFMPEG but it ends up with audio/video sync issues.
If there's no sync issues maybe I'll try the Hauppauge Capture option (Export to MP4 under Edit I guess).

Yeah, I think so. From their website (in the FAQ section):

http://hauppauge.co.uk/site/support/support_hdpvr2.html
What file formats are created by recording with the HD PVR 2?
Hauppauge Capture records in a TS file or M2TS file directly. TS is also called 'AVCHD' and is the native format for Blu-ray DVD discs. Also, Hauppauge Capture has an Export to MP4 function, which adds an index to the beginning of a TS recording and creates an MP4 file. This usually takes just a few seconds and does not change the video quality of your recording

What software are you using to cut the commercials by the way? I'm using Smart Cutter at the moment (doesn't re-encode anything) but that costs money in case anyone wants to use that. I'd originally tried just cutting using the -ss switch and copy (so it doesn't re-encode) for ffmpeg and then concatenating the files together but that's just too much work :D It's just easier to do it all in a GUI.

There's some alternatives here: http://superuser.com/questions/383161/l ... in-windows
Overview/tutorial for Smart Cutter:
I recommend if you do use Smart Cutter to choose all the parts you want to keep first and when you're all done and THEN click Add Batch and Start, otherwise if you click on Add Batch for each individual part that you want to keep separately it'll make lots of different files first and keep adding them to each other (takes longer too). If it doesn't work correctly choose the Link button first.
If you really don't want to pay for it though it seems to be available on torrent sites, one of them a bay for pirates ;) but I don't know if it's clean, etc.
It's not a pretty program but it works surprisingly well and you can go forward and back by seconds, choose a specific time, or go forward and back by frame to make sure you cut when a commercial is going to start.
They also have a Fix Video option which I think may correct some of the problems you might be having...I haven't ever tried using it though.

kenji321

Post by kenji321 » Jun 14th, '15, 08:28

sbm888 wrote:interesting! I'd be interested in testing it for you, since I have issues playing the live streaming on my tablet. no issues with the recorded sessions. I've already rooted it, but still only plays for 1 second and blanks out. If there's another app that can access the stream directly, I'd love to try it out - thanks!
can you give this a try? hopefully it works

Code: Select all

https://mega.co.nz/#!zEp3maaT!b_1JqqQgeT4geGlN-GU-uGRE1VuvV9LBeTDeIlEH15I
it's a very simple app. it only loads the channel list. select a channel and it should play, or android should ask what app to open the link with. unfortunately you still need to login as you would with worldtv. also, make sure that the worldtv app is not running, not even in the activity list.

question: with worldtv can you use different devices one at a time, or must it be the same device as the first one used always?

renarayne

Post by renarayne » Jun 14th, '15, 11:10

sound wrote:Yeah, I think so. From their website (in the FAQ section).
What software are you using to cut the commercials by the way? I'm using Smart Cutter at the moment (doesn't re-encode anything) but that costs money in case anyone wants to use that.
Ah that's great, thank you, I'll definitely have to give that a go for future recordings.

I'm using Machete, which also doesn't re-encode. It's not free either but I like how simple the interface is, just the video and cut controls. You can also do some simple edits like inserting another video (has to be encoded the same), exporting just the video or audio track, adding a different audio track etc.

By the way, you mentioned wanting to figure out a way of scheduling recordings. There's a software for Hauppauge called WinTV that might have some scheduling options. It's not free but some editions of HD PVR 2 came with a WinTV 7 CD which allows you to upgrade to WinTV 8. Alternatively I think others use the freeware software NextPVR. May want to research though because the scheduling may only be for cable/satellite, I don't know if it'll work for internet TV.
There may also be a way to automate the launching and clicking of buttons to start a recording in Hauppauge Capture with Action(s) + Windows Task Scheduler which I had done for recording NJI.
Personally, with the Uchi app, I've just been picking a day or two in the week to sit down and record all the shows I want to keep off the 7-day playback list.

facubsf

Post by facubsf » Jun 15th, '15, 13:41

Hello guys! I'm all new here into this world of trying to get something from japan in our homes, so i'm going to ask noobs questions now sorry.
I have read through some pages so i have a slight idea though.

The thing is that now i'm subscribed for a month to jpplayer, but i wanted something better as it's kinda expensive.

The thing is that i'm from Argentina, would i have any problem with that?
Then i have seen that many of you have recommended japannettv as a reliable site to buy, when i go there i see this options:

IPTV (hikari, ihome, ihome 2, skynet, etc)
APK (Ihome 2 raku tv, uchi tv, world tv, skylive, etc)
Android tv box (m8, mqx, etc)

If i'm not wrong, iptv means the box with the apk, and the others two are the apk on one side and the tv box on other right?

as far as i have read, ihome seems to be the best choice, and it seems to have its own system right? being different from the other ones that would use different apks such as raku or uchi

also ihome is the most expensive, so that's something to take into account.
And also i have seen that those apks on a phone or a tablet aren't working properly with live tv , and the chromecast support is unknown

So based on my location, what would you recommend? i know it's difficult to recommend but at least some tips to decide on choosing one or another.

thank you very much in advance!

oh also, is there some apks giving a free trial? so maybe i could try them before paying something....

and if any of you have some boxes that you don't use and want to sell, maybe i could buy an used one from one of you, anyway i don't know if that's possible but if possible maybe it could be an option.

thanks!

oosu

Post by oosu » Jun 15th, '15, 15:53

kdjtachi65 wrote:The only Windows-based IPTV solution with timeshifting I'm aware of is here: http://tv-ihome.com/windows/. I believe it's port of the linux iHome code. MisoraHibari recently referenced it and might have more information. They offer a 3-day trial.

WOW!@#$! Thanks! Gonna try this out when I get home. This wasn't in the first post? Hopefully we can update the first post of this page soon.

oosu

Post by oosu » Jun 15th, '15, 19:19

oosu wrote:
kdjtachi65 wrote:The only Windows-based IPTV solution with timeshifting I'm aware of is here: http://tv-ihome.com/windows/. I believe it's port of the linux iHome code. MisoraHibari recently referenced it and might have more information. They offer a 3-day trial.

WOW!@#$! Thanks! Gonna try this out when I get home. This wasn't in the first post? Hopefully we can update the first post of this page soon.

So far looking great! Got it up and running. Even though it is a trial, I wish it had a login feature on the program so I know I can exploit that option. But I will see if I can have this running more than three days!

I will see if I can track the downloaded files to a temp directory.

On an initial feel of the program its seems way better than NTKTV as the shows are divided up as individual shows instead of the hour block and label with the program name.

I feel soo spoiled as now I get 50 channels instead of just the main Tokyo channels.

kdjtachi65

Post by kdjtachi65 » Jun 15th, '15, 20:11

facubsf wrote:Hello guys! I'm all new here into this world of trying to get something from japan in our homes, so i'm going to ask noobs questions now sorry.
I have read through some pages so i have a slight idea though.
Welcome aboard, facubsf.

Short answer: Take some time and read this entire thread, especially the last five pages. Every question you've asked (and several you haven't yet) has been answered, usually more than once. I'm not trying to be condescending or snarky; there is a wealth of really good info here, and I'm glad I plowed through it all before making a decision. I learned a lot.

Even shorter answer: Get your hands on a rooted android TV box ($50-$70USD online just about everywhere) and request trial accounts from those fine folks at JapannetTV.com.

juno909

Post by juno909 » Jun 15th, '15, 21:30

oosu wrote:
oosu wrote:

So far looking great! Got it up and running. Even though it is a trial, I wish it had a login feature on the program so I know I can exploit that option. But I will see if I can have this running more than three days!

On an initial feel of the program its seems way better than NTKTV as the shows are divided up as individual shows instead of the hour block and label with the program name.

I feel soo spoiled as now I get 50 channels instead of just the main Tokyo channels.
I also find this.
http://www.pctvlab.com/forum.php?mod=vi ... a=page%3D1

This is 1 week trial. But only live stream.

renarayne

Post by renarayne » Jun 16th, '15, 00:13

facubsf wrote:The thing is that i'm from Argentina, would i have any problem with that?
Unless there's something specific I don't imagine so. I'm from England and Uchi app works fine for me.
IPTV (hikari, ihome, ihome 2, skynet, etc)
APK (Ihome 2 raku tv, uchi tv, world tv, skylive, etc)
Android tv box (m8, mqx, etc)
If i'm not wrong, iptv means the box with the apk, and the others two are the apk on one side and the tv box on other right?
IPTV stands for Internet Protocol Television and as all of these run via the internet I suppose that category just lists all solutions. Including those that do not use Android / APK app files, such as the iHome which is a Linux-based box.

APK stands for Android Application Package so that category will include Android app files you can buy separately and install on an Android box you've bought elsewhere (or a tablet, but as you read, some tablet hardware may not handle IPTV live streams or may need to be rooted, you will get the 7-day Catch Up though).

The Andoid TV Box category will have Android boxes (probably with an APK app pre-installed).
as far as i have read, ihome seems to be the best choice, and it seems to have its own system right? being different from the other ones that would use different apks such as raku or uchi. also ihome is the most expensive, so that's something to take into account.
It's Linux based which I'm guessing makes it a bit more flexible than an Android app.
But yeah you are paying extra for that privilege and so if you're on a budget you may find the other solutions more than satisfactory.
oh also, is there some apks giving a free trial? so maybe i could try them before paying something....
All the APK apps on japannettv have free trials, if you click into one of them and scroll down you should see a "Free Test" button near the bottom.
and if any of you have some boxes that you don't use and want to sell, maybe i could buy an used one from one of you, anyway i don't know if that's possible but if possible maybe it could be an option.
I bought an Android M8 box off Amazon and then the Uchi app + subscription from japannettv. So it's definitely possible to buy a box separately. I got mine new but you can look under Used sellers for Amazon, or on eBay etc.

Best of luck with the decision.

sound

Post by sound » Jun 16th, '15, 00:32

oosu wrote:
oosu wrote:

I'll give it a go at cracking it too :D

facubsf

Post by facubsf » Jun 16th, '15, 12:04

renarayne, thanks a lot for all your kind answer!.

I was making a little more research and i came across another site, called iptv talk, where they talk about a whole server nfps where there a lot of channels, and it's compatible with some android boxes and with kodi too. Unluckily there are no japanese channels at the moment.

isn't there a way to add channels to kodi the same way? i mean, a way to know the source of the streams that comes from apps like uchi and raku, so if we know the adress we could play it on vlc or kodi or any other soft , being them then free and with pvr too

i don't know if i'm talking about two different things here, but to have one box being able to handle all those channels plus the japanese channels that uchi ihome etc gives, that would be the best of both worlds.

Postmastur

Post by Postmastur » Jun 16th, '15, 14:22

risu wrote:
pato wrote: It appears IHome > Uchi > IHome 2 (Raku) in terms of image quality.

Actually, I have seen ihome in action and I can tell you ihome will blur pretty bad when the picture is in high motion. I am now using Maige 3 and you can take this high motion video that I capture from Maige 3 to compare if ihome can achieve this with the same clarity.

Remember to change to 1080P to watch.

renarayne

Post by renarayne » Jun 16th, '15, 19:49

facubsf wrote:isn't there a way to add channels to kodi the same way? i mean, a way to know the source of the streams that comes from apps like uchi and raku, so if we know the adress we could play it on vlc or kodi or any other soft , being them then free and with pvr too
i don't know if i'm talking about two different things here, but to have one box being able to handle all those channels plus the japanese channels that uchi ihome etc gives, that would be the best of both worlds.
I got NIJI running through VLC but unfortunately as a free service it is kind of unreliable. I tried to get Uchi running through VLC but couldn't really figure out the address. Either way you'd still need to pay a subscription to have the channels streamed to your ID. The M8 box I have had Kodi pre-installed but I haven't made much use of it I mainly use Uchi and an anime streaming app. You may have to ask around about if any Japanese Kodi channels are planned or you could try finding people streaming Japanese TV and use http://docs.livestreamer.io/ to watch it in VLC.

sound

Post by sound » Jun 17th, '15, 03:29

renarayne wrote: The M8 box I have had Kodi pre-installed...
http://torrentfreak.com/amazon-bans-kod ... ns-150616/ :crazy:
Amazon has removed the popular media center Kodi from the app store claiming it facilitates piracy. The software, formerly known as XBMC, doesn't link to or host any infringing content, but third-party add-ons are giving the software a bad reputation...
Also:
...Coincidentally, around the same time Amazon booted Kodi from their market, Google decided to include it in the Play Store. According to the Kodi team this is yet another reason for people to leave Amazon hardware behind.

“It’s going to be extraordinarily difficult for Kodi users to justify going down the Amazon hardware path and recommending the Amazon path to others,” Betzen concludes...
They're still selling boxes with Kodi on it on Amazon though (for now - probably not for long).

Coincidentally has anyone tried using Amazon Instant on Amazon's Japanese site? I have an account there but haven't tried any streaming from them before. If so, what's the content/streaming quality like?

renarayne

Post by renarayne » Jun 17th, '15, 10:41

Stuff in the Amazon app store is solely sold by Amazon but the Amazon product store these days has largely been handed over to other sellers and Amazon just 'fulfills' the orders. So I guess they're less concerned about getting flak on the product store due to not being solely responsible for those sales.

Ultimately though, even if they did remove the boxes with Kodi pre-installed, you could still just buy a box and grab the Kodi APK to install, similar to how you have to download a separate APK for Uchi / Raku / iHome 2 etc. Android apps don't rely on app stores.

frag2

Post by frag2 » Jun 17th, '15, 13:41

So I got myself a Tronsmart MXIII 2GB box [pretty much the same M8 MX3 box but with different badge and lifetime support] and ran World TV on it. I use only WIFI [have 50MBPS Fibre connection] and everything runs fine. Only annoying thing about the app is the PVR playback is a bit clunky.

Gonna try the other APKs to see if I commit to anything.

That Maige HD3 sample is nice though so I dunno...

jsternbe

Post by jsternbe » Jun 17th, '15, 19:36

Postmastur wrote:
risu wrote:
pato wrote: It appears IHome > Uchi > IHome 2 (Raku) in terms of image quality.

Actually, I have seen ihome in action and I can tell you ihome will blur pretty bad when the picture is in high motion. I am now using Maige 3 and you can take this high motion video that I capture from Maige 3 to compare if ihome can achieve this with the same clarity.

Remember to change to 1080P to watch.

I would love to see a clip from the beginning of the show "Music Station" (Asahi TV, Friday at 8 PM). There is always so much movement and flashing lights during the show that it looks like a disaster on the iHome.

supabakakun

Post by supabakakun » Jun 17th, '15, 23:41

I can vouche that MaigeTV 3 has excellent video and playback quality. The initial price is pushes into the iHome price territory, but the renewal is cheaper and easier. I feel the menu and channel navigation is frustrating, and the remote poorly designed. I have found that MaigeTV 3 seems to lose satellite signal sometimes, so it is frustrating when it occurs while watching a program. The remote is poor in my opinion. I will be renewing my MaigeTV subscription in December, though. I find it strange that MaigeTV doesn't have the Star channels.

sound

Post by sound » Jun 17th, '15, 23:49

jsternbe wrote:
I would love to see a clip from the beginning of the show "Music Station" (Asahi TV, Friday at 8 PM). There is always so much movement and flashing lights during the show that it looks like a disaster on the iHome.
If I remember tomorrow I'll try recording a clip for you from it as you requested from the Maige TV HD3 :-)

With something else though, I got a trial for the ihome pc version and have been poking around to see how it works, only really observed the files that it creates when installed and loading and come across where the tv listings are stored and the URLs they use for each stream which seem what looks like base64 encoded strings in the xml file on that server, haven't been able to make much of them so far and my trial will be running out soon. Hopefully oosu has more luck with it.
The quality of the ihome pc version doesn't look great by the way on a large monitor, it has a fairly convoluted setup procedure and there doesn't seem to be any options about choosing what sort of quality you want. I don't think it's streaming in HD either, at best it seems to be 480p or maybe 540p (I haven't tested all of the channels) which I guess is fine since most people will be using it on a computer but if someone is using a 1080p monitor it's gonna look okay but not great. One of the channels seems to be dead by the way, I guess they lost signal or something, I haven't tested them all.
It also seems to suffer from the 'ghosting' problem the ihome box has when there's movement.
Positives are that it has a bunch of channels and you can stream them directly on your PC, as long as you don't care that much about quality it's fine (you may need to purchase a VPN though like MisoraHibari did (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=73546&start=900#p1729724) if your connection is slow to their servers).

jsternbe

Post by jsternbe » Jun 18th, '15, 01:18

sound wrote:
jsternbe wrote:
If I remember tomorrow I'll try recording a clip for you from it as you requested from the Maige TV HD3 :-)

With something else though, I got a trial for the ihome pc version and have been poking around to see how it works, only really observed the files that it creates when installed and loading and come across where the tv listings are stored and the URLs they use for each stream which seem what looks like base64 encoded strings in the xml file on that server, haven't been able to make much of them so far and my trial will be running out soon. Hopefully oosu has more luck with it.
The quality of the ihome pc version doesn't look great by the way on a large monitor, it has a fairly convoluted setup procedure and there doesn't seem to be any options about choosing what sort of quality you want. I don't think it's streaming in HD either, at best it seems to be 480p or maybe 540p (I haven't tested all of the channels) which I guess is fine since most people will be using it on a computer but if someone is using a 1080p monitor it's gonna look okay but not great. One of the channels seems to be dead by the way, I guess they lost signal or something, I haven't tested them all.
It also seems to suffer from the 'ghosting' problem the ihome box has when there's movement.
Positives are that it has a bunch of channels and you can stream them directly on your PC, as long as you don't care that much about quality it's fine (you may need to purchase a VPN though like MisoraHibari did (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=73546&start=900#p1729724) if your connection is slow to their servers).
I also got a trial of iHome PC, but it looks a lot worse than the actual original iHome. I also noticed that some of the channels weren't actually working when I tried it out today. It is a neat service, though. If it wasn't about the same cost as all of the others I would think about it as a portable option.

frag2

Post by frag2 » Jun 18th, '15, 03:10

Just tested the Skylive TV Apk on the Tronsmart Android box I was talking about earlier and IMO, not worth it. You get a lot of channels but the video quality is anywhere from 360p to 480p. Theres a few channels [non Japanese] that are 720p or at least look the part. Also, initial channel changing takes a bit. Probably a buffering thing.

Despite being the lowest priced and greatest number of channels, I wouldn't get it. Way too temperamental

So far, I'm loving the World TV apk trial. I just requested iHome 2 apk trial so will report back later.

kenji321

Post by kenji321 » Jun 18th, '15, 18:50

sound wrote:
jsternbe wrote:

can you post a sample (on pastebin or similar) of the xml file? I'm curious if the implementation is similar to WorldTV since the ihome pc website also offers the WorldTV apk.

renarayne

Post by renarayne » Jun 18th, '15, 19:08

Someone recently informed me of a new free service like NIJI etc. It's on PC, Mac, Android and iOS. Anyone heard of this and seen how it compares?
http://www.tvapp.so/
Discussion thread on another forum:
http://en.miui.com/thread-93264-1-1.html

kenji321

Post by kenji321 » Jun 18th, '15, 22:23

looks good. channel switching is practically instant.

from what I can tell the streams are in 720p. With a little bit of effort I was able to get the stream to play in vlc.

the stream comes off from here:
livestream.exe -s stun.tvapp.so -t t.tvapp.so -u 2BACBDD31B0CF0BA -p 85D5279CC011443DEAA725D12205B0CB3F41F48F -l 50056 -o 47634

with control commands coming from the main app do the channel switching:
http://127.0.0.1:47634/ctrl/play?streamid=175

then the stream is opened:
http://127.0.0.1:47634/?t=1657829&k=e22 ... a1bde16322

channel switching can be done manually (without the main app) by just using the control command url. the stream is not interrupted due to channel switches.

I haven't looked at how the channel list is pulled, where or how the user/pass values are generated, or how the stream key is made. But it's worth looking into.

let's see how long this app lasts or remains free. honestly it looks like something that ppl should be paying for compared to options I've seen.

Postmastur

Post by Postmastur » Jun 19th, '15, 12:16

jsternbe wrote:

Please change to 1080P on the upper right before watching

Music station opening
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2ukweu

High speed motion test
http://dai.ly/x2ukwmp

pato

Post by pato » Jun 19th, '15, 15:08

One thing that i always wonder about iHome or iHome 2... Many sellers but do they all used same servers from China?

jsternbe

Post by jsternbe » Jun 19th, '15, 15:48

Postmastur wrote:
jsternbe wrote:

Music station opening

High speed motion test

Thanks! It looks like it isn't quite as sharp as the iHome, but it handles motion artifacts a lot better. My guess is that it is using more sophisticated mpeg4 encoding, but at a lower bitrate. I'll try to put the same clips up from the iHome when I get home.

Postmastur

Post by Postmastur » Jun 19th, '15, 16:16

jsternbe wrote:
Postmastur wrote:
jsternbe wrote:

Music station opening

High speed motion test

Thanks! It looks like it isn't quite as sharp as the iHome, but it handles motion artifacts a lot better. My guess is that it is using more sophisticated mpeg4 encoding, but at a lower bitrate. I'll try to put the same clips up from the iHome when I get home.
For a fair comparison, you might need to record a clip and then upload to dailymotion and view both on a PC.

jsternbe

Post by jsternbe » Jun 19th, '15, 17:42

Postmastur wrote:

For a fair comparison, you might need to record a clip and then upload to dailymotion and view both on a PC.
I plan to. Does Dailymotion re-encode? If not, how did you encode your videos so that I can match them?

Postmastur

Post by Postmastur » Jun 19th, '15, 19:06

jsternbe wrote:
Postmastur wrote:

I plan to. Does Dailymotion re-encode? If not, how did you encode your videos so that I can match them?

most likely it will re-encode. When you upload a video, it takes like more than 15 mins before it will be available. My original video was recorded in mp4 with 20Mb/s H264. And then upload this file directly to dailymotion.

moshimoshipuusan

Post by moshimoshipuusan » Jun 19th, '15, 19:09

renarayne wrote:Someone recently informed me of a new free service like NIJI etc. It's on PC, Mac, Android and iOS. Anyone heard of this and seen how it compares?
http://www.tvapp.so/
Discussion thread on another forum:
http://en.miui.com/thread-93264-1-1.html

I'm always a little wary of using some of these free streaming services. As the old saying goes, "If it seems to good to be true, it probably is."

I used to run NijiTV and fungyunzhibo in a sandbox just to be on the safe side in case there was any hidden malware.

However, I can't seem to get BeTV to run in a sandbox (Sandboxie and Comodo using the ppp.conf from a Niji install) which is odd since it looks like it's made by the same company that does NijiTV. And also can't get BeTV to run in a virtual machine (latest VMWare running XP/SP3 on a Windows 7 host). Plus VirusTotal report is showing that it might indeed contain malware so I can't risk installing it on any of my "good" machines.

I also couldn't get TVApp to run in a VM. Though TVApp seems to be "safe" as far as Virus scans go but it's still relatively new and future updates might change things...

I'm wondering what others think or how people are handling these types of services?

jsternbe

Post by jsternbe » Jun 20th, '15, 01:14

Postmastur wrote:
jsternbe wrote:
Postmastur wrote:

most likely it will re-encode. When you upload a video, it takes like more than 15 mins before it will be available. My original video was recorded in mp4 with 20Mb/s H264. And then upload this file directly to dailymotion.
After looking at your video with a better connection, I have to say that the Maige is better quality in pretty much every way than the iHome. Notice how you can see the pinstripes on Tamori's jacket on the Maige, but they are smoothed out on the iHome. I think that the iHome is probably just old technology now. It is too bad that the Maige is missing so many of the channels that I really like. Once I get some of my extra summer pay I think I am going to order the Hikari Sedai box. It is a newer service and hopefully looks better. It definitely has the best channel lineup (except that it is missing Channel NECO). Anyway, here is an example from the iHome.

renarayne

Post by renarayne » Jun 20th, '15, 01:42

moshimoshipuusan wrote:I'm always a little wary of using some of these free streaming services. As the old saying goes, "If it seems to good to be true, it probably is." I'm wondering what others think or how people are handling these types of services?
I think the main issue with free services is uptime reliability really.
It's possible the free apps/software are just creating a portal to other existing streams rather than hosting, if so they don't incur costs but also don't have much control when things go down. Like the old software that ran on free SopCast streams that seemed to die.

I have an antivirus, antispyware and antimalware which didn't have issue with NIJI but naturally anti-anything isn't gonna catch everything. You could try just using the Android or iOS app of the new service on a device you don't log into any highly sensitive accounts on.

Postmastur

Post by Postmastur » Jun 20th, '15, 07:52

jsternbe wrote:
Postmastur wrote:

After looking at your video with a better connection, I have to say that the Maige is better quality in pretty much every way than the iHome. Notice how you can see the pinstripes on Tamori's jacket on the Maige, but they are smoothed out on the iHome. I think that the iHome is probably just old technology now. It is too bad that the Maige is missing so many of the channels that I really like. Once I get some of my extra summer pay I think I am going to order the Hikari Sedai box. It is a newer service and hopefully looks better. It definitely has the best channel lineup (except that it is missing Channel NECO). Anyway, here is an example from the iHome.

Lets keep this as a record so that people can find the comparison.

Maige TV

iHome
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2untwe

BTW, the Hikari Sedai box is not new service . It was out around the time when Maige TV was released. The box was called 光世代. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_EsL_0euBc It has better selection on channel than Maige TV, but video quality should be about the same as ihome.

From what I have seen so far

Maige TV
Video Quality 5
Channel selection 3.5 http://i.imgur.com/DZv1fnS.jpg
Stability 4

ihome
Video Quality 3
Channel selection 4.5 http://i.imgur.com/w7lVv3L.jpg
Stability 5

Hikari Sedai 光世代
Video Quality 3.5
Channel selection 4.5 http://i.imgur.com/fGEi0Da.jpg
Stability 4

jsternbe

Post by jsternbe » Jun 20th, '15, 12:45

Postmastur wrote: BTW, the Hikari Sedai box is not new service . It was out around the time when Maige TV was released. The box was called 光世代. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_EsL_0euBc It has better selection on channel than Maige TV, but video quality should be about the same as ihome.
What I meant by "new" is that it is new compared to the iHome, which has been around for many years. It also might be a newly designed box (which won't affect the quality of the streams that it uses). Mark's HD IPTV still has the old design boxes (http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 55423.html). Anyway, I suspect that your quality assessment will be right. Hikari does have a better channel selection, though. It adds several drama networks [for drama fans], the Toei channel, Tokyo MX, AT-X and Cartoon Network Japan and really only loses Channel NECO. I'm not sure of why no one I can find has tried it yet. There is very little information on the internet about it.

supabakakun

Post by supabakakun » Jun 20th, '15, 12:51

I have a slight difference of opinion for the scoring, so I wanted to add my thoughts.

Maige TV
Video Quality [Post 5] [Supa 5]
Channel selection [Post 3.5] [Supa 4] http://i.imgur.com/DZv1fnS.jpg
Stability* [Post 4] [Supa 3.5]
VOD [Supa 5] *Chinese Subtitles
Playback - 7 Days

ihome
Video Quality [Post 3][Supa 4]
Channel selection [Post 5] [Supa 3] http://i.imgur.com/w7lVv3L.jpg
Stability [Post 5] [Supa 5]
VOD [NA]
Playback *** - 7.5 days

iHome II
Video Quality** [Supa 3.5]
Channel selection [Supa 5]
Stability [Supa 3]
VOD [Supa 2] *Chinese Subtitles
Playback - 7 Days

* For stability I took in account buffering, video availability, and playback schedule availability. 2 times I had MaigeTV show me a blank screen when attempting to play recorded video (Capture occurred but didn't record), 1 time where a large part of the day was missing for a channel for recorded content, and multiple occurances loss of satellite signal (luckily this message occurs for about 1 minute and then the video resumes.

** iHome II has less pixellation during high action scene than iHome, but there is some detectable pixelation through all scenes. With the improvements over the past year, I have hope that it will reach the level of MaigeTV video quality.

*** iHome channels that have 7 day playback often times will have overlapping days. Meaning that while it is recording today's (Saturday) programing last Saturday programming will be available to watch as long as the current time of day doesn't exceeded the time of day. For example: If the current time of day in Japan is 7:00 am, programming recorded after 8:00 am last week will still be available to view. It has saved my butt many times. iHome II and MaigeTV drops the 7th or 5th day.
Last edited by supabakakun on Jun 21st, '15, 01:09, edited 2 times in total.

supabakakun

Post by supabakakun » Jun 20th, '15, 12:57

jsternbe wrote:
Postmastur wrote: BTW, the Hikari Sedai box is not new service . It was out around the time when Maige TV was released. The box was called 光世代. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_EsL_0euBc It has better selection on channel than Maige TV, but video quality should be about the same as ihome.
What I meant by "new" is that it is new compared to the iHome, which has been around for many years. It also might be a newly designed box (which won't affect the quality of the streams that it uses). Mark's HD IPTV still has the old design boxes (http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 55423.html). Anyway, I suspect that your quality assessment will be right. Hikari does have a better channel selection, though. It adds several drama networks [for drama fans], the Toei channel, Tokyo MX, AT-X and Cartoon Network Japan and really only loses Channel NECO. I'm not sure of why no one I can find has tried it yet. There is very little information on the internet about it.
Some of the channels missing 7 day playback is a deal breaker for me.

jsternbe

Post by jsternbe » Jun 20th, '15, 13:08

supabakakun wrote: Some of the channels missing 7 day playback is a deal breaker for me.
I do wish that all of the channels had 7 day playback and I thought about that. In the end, the channels that don't have 7 day playback on the Hikari that do on the iHome are the Kansai channels. Forunately, most of them are "network" channels. I think that the only independent station Kansai station on any of the services is Sun TV. The rest share programming with the Kanto stations. I wonder if you can set it to record to a hard drive like the iHome. If it can do that, it won't matter.

Postmastur

Post by Postmastur » Jun 20th, '15, 14:44

supabakakun wrote:I have a slight difference of opinion for the scoring, so I wanted to add my thoughts.

Maige TV
Playback - 5 Days

Actually, it is 7 days. The time of posting is Jun 20 11:45pm JST, and here is the earliest playback I can get on テレビ朝日

sound

Post by sound » Jun 20th, '15, 16:14

Postmastur wrote:
supabakakun wrote:I have a slight difference of opinion for the scoring, so I wanted to add my thoughts.

Maige TV
Playback - 5 Days

Actually, it is 7 days. The time of posting is Jun 20 11:45pm JST, and here is the earliest playback I can get on テレビ朝日

I checked again too and it is indeed 7 day playback for the Maige HD3, not 5. This seems to be for all channels.

There's 3 sections you can choose from the main menu:
The first is TV (which is where you can also get the 7 day playback from for all shows including dramas and movies that have aired on TV that week.
Then there's another two bonus sections called Drama, TV, On Demand (movies) that you can choose from the main menu.

The TV section does not have Chinese subtitles for the Japanese channels, and there's none on the 7 day playback either if anyone is confused. The playback has each show labelled with the time like in Postmastur's screenshot.

The separate Drama and On Demand (movies) sections you can choose from the main menu have nothing to do with the 7 day playback but these have Chinese subtitles but episodes and movies seem to be added to those later anyway and I don't use them. These sections just seem to be there as an added bonus for people.

renarayne

Post by renarayne » Jun 20th, '15, 17:52

By the way, I forgot, thank you kenji321 for gong through the trouble of figuring out a way to play that app through VLC, much appreciated. It does look like a really good alternative to NIJI. I've still got an Uchi app subscription running so I should use that to get my money's worth but if it hasn't bitten the dust after that, might consider it.

sound

Post by sound » Jun 20th, '15, 18:33

renarayne wrote:By the way, I forgot, thank you kenji321 for gong through the trouble of figuring out a way to play that app through VLC, much appreciated. It does look like a really good alternative to NIJI. I've still got an Uchi app subscription running so I should use that to get my money's worth but if it hasn't bitten the dust after that, might consider it.
Yes, thank you kenji321 and to you too renarayne for the link to it, and thanks to everyone else sharing info in this thread :heart:
This is by far the best place I've come across for info on getting Japanese TV on the net.

oosu

Post by oosu » Jun 20th, '15, 18:58

Hello all,

I'll give it a go at cracking it too :D[/quote]

I got the VM box on the PC working good. Just trying to download the correct windows through MSDN sub took forever.
During that time I tried to install it on my virtual VM on AZURE, I notice that there was no date count down timer on the bottom. Then I thought maybe because my AZURE has windows server. Tried windows server on oracle VM but that wasn't it. Will see what is the difference. If I can figure it out we can all get free Japanese TV again. Tried to watch it through AZURE VM SERVER but it was too horrible to watch.

Does anybody else have MSDN AZURE Service to play with?

frag2

Post by frag2 » Jun 20th, '15, 20:33

Anyone here notice this?

https://japannettv.com/shop/index.php?r ... duct_id=73

Seems like a recent Android TV box add. It says its based on TVpad4 meaning its definitely running full fledged android and not some hacked Linux kernal. I wonder if there an apk for the japanese TV streams here.

supabakakun

Post by supabakakun » Jun 21st, '15, 01:09

sound wrote:
Postmastur wrote:

Maige TV
Playback - 5 Days

I checked again too and it is indeed 7 day playback for the Maige HD3, not 5. This seems to be for all channels.

There's 3 sections you can choose from the main menu:
The first is TV (which is where you can also get the 7 day playback from for all shows including dramas and movies that have aired on TV that week.
Then there's another two bonus sections called Drama, TV, On Demand (movies) that you can choose from the main menu.

The TV section does not have Chinese subtitles for the Japanese channels, and there's none on the 7 day playback either if anyone is confused. The playback has each show labelled with the time like in Postmastur's screenshot.

The separate Drama and On Demand (movies) sections you can choose from the main menu have nothing to do with the 7 day playback but these have Chinese subtitles but episodes and movies seem to be added to those later anyway and I don't use them. These sections just seem to be there as an added bonus for people.
I thought it was 7, but I do recall a time when I wanted to watch something and the listing didn't go back but 5 days. I wanted to watch Wednesday downtown (TBS), but it was already off of the listing. It may have an issue where I sometimes see with the channel listing. I updated my post to reflect 7. When I speak of VoD, it the section outside of the TV section where you can see the movies and drama. While the 7 day play back is consider VoD, I kept is separate. I think most people with have that same expectation, but thank you for clarifying. The Japanese Drama section is very weak for the VoD>. :)

Baster

Post by Baster » Jun 21st, '15, 11:30

Hi

I Just came across this topic while looking for Japanese Slingbox on google

Reading some of the most recent posts got me curious, so I took a moment to read this entire thread. I am totally new to IPTV and was wandering if someone can help me out

I have a few questions for those of you who've been watching Japanese TV from overseas these past few years using IPTV:

as far as I know There are currently 6 Japanese IPTV apk/boxes on the market
Ihome, ihomeII, uchi, hikari, skylive and worldtv,

is hikari related to FLET'S HIKARI ? Klick

Ihome 2 seems perfectly fits my needs.

to those who use it :

will more Channel Lists be added in the future

is it possible to switch the interface language to englisch

from what I read in this topic Ihome II dont offer the recording Option right? but is it a hardware or a software issue?

and are someone possibly working on a solution to get this working

pato

Post by pato » Jun 21st, '15, 16:03

Can anyone tell me if there iHome is working well?
When i open my iHome, i can only see white screen.

kdjtachi65

Post by kdjtachi65 » Jun 21st, '15, 16:31

Isn't a white screen displaying after the initial loading screen a symptom of a failing SD Card? I'm sure I read that on this thread.