Watching 24 in Japan

Talk about the culture and entertainment from Nihon.
richardli

Watching 24 in Japan

Post by richardli » Dec 26th, '06, 12:21

I just watched it and it was dubbed in Japanese. It was wierd to here Jack's voice in Japanese but still fun to watch. I found some really funny Japanese comedy skits about 24 - they are sooo funny. Who says Japanese people don't have a sense of humor?
http://japansugoi.com/wordpress/japanes ... mmercials/

SAmmie-Chan

Post by SAmmie-Chan » Dec 26th, '06, 12:37

~ I had no iudea 24 had even beeen dubbenin to Japanese ~ What sereise are they up to?

Keymaker

Post by Keymaker » Dec 26th, '06, 14:21

According to my Japanese classmates, they haven't shown Season 5 yet.

SAmmie-Chan

Post by SAmmie-Chan » Dec 26th, '06, 18:30

~ It sucked after season 2 anyway.

captain-nippon

Post by captain-nippon » Dec 27th, '06, 00:44

this is the reason why japanese are not going anywhere with the drama and low budget movies. Having american imports to complete with the Domestic MARKET is a BAD IDEA.

I don't see the Japanese dramas on Fox or CBS...

Sometime i question the stupidity of Japanese people..

Keymaker

Post by Keymaker » Dec 27th, '06, 08:15

SAmmie-Chan wrote:~ It sucked after season 2 anyway.
The Japanese seem to disagree. They thought Season 4 was the best season of the bunch thus far.
captain-nippon wrote:this is the reason why japanese are not going anywhere with the drama and low budget movies. Having american imports to complete with the Domestic MARKET is a BAD IDEA.

Well, they do broadcast 24 in other parts of Asia too besides Japan, heh.

SAmmie-Chan

Post by SAmmie-Chan » Dec 27th, '06, 13:44

~grumbles~ Sometimes I wonder about it too captain-nippon don't worry. Though its much more of the fact I can't believe they bought 24... It was good in the UK until end end of S2 ~ Then the digital company bought it (the same company has now bought LOST the tits) and turned it in to a big marketing thing to sell there stupid satalight dishes (of which my mother would not get) so yeah no more LOST or 24. All the decent shows here are bought up by Digital companies and those with out digital TV are left behind.

Is it any wonder I've started watching Asian Dramas?

PJB

Post by PJB » Dec 27th, '06, 14:59

I hate dubbing the most. Any show should be kept in it's original language. I'll never watch Korean stuff that's dubbed, or English stuff that's dubbed. It sounds weird, looks weird, and IS weird. Watching Lost with dubbing. Eww. Subtitles are the best way to be fully dipped into the story! Voices are VERY important to the delivery of some lines. Unless you can't read!

SAmmie-Chan

Post by SAmmie-Chan » Dec 27th, '06, 17:12

And thus you begin the adge old Sub vs Dub argument :wub:

mun78

yeah

Post by mun78 » Dec 27th, '06, 17:24

PJB wrote:I hate dubbing the most. Any show should be kept in it's original language. I'll never watch Korean stuff that's dubbed, or English stuff that's dubbed. It sounds weird, looks weird, and IS weird. Watching Lost with dubbing. Eww. Subtitles are the best way to be fully dipped into the story! Voices are VERY important to the delivery of some lines. Unless you can't read!

yeah i don't like dubs, it's better to read the subtitles, it's just that it's not good for people who are blind, and also it doesn't promote the series well, because most people are too lazy to read the bottom of the screen and watch video. So, they have to dub it, which sucks . Funny thing, they never dub things in english, they always seem to dub for the other language, which is funny. lol.

SAmmie-Chan

Post by SAmmie-Chan » Dec 27th, '06, 17:31

~ I personaly do not like dubs mostly because I believe it takes away the shows charm.

Also when they dub them they have to edit it diffrently and change some stuff etc etc so I personaly believe that it changes the origonal context of the show, there for the origonal work is runed and the whole point of she show thown out the window. I would rather see it the way the writers and directors intened it to be. After all that is the way it is ment to be seen and ever little camera angle changes and small secene shifts can effect the way you percive the program and there for the message it is trying to give you.

And thus the show is rendered utterly useless.

Oh jesus you can tell I've studyed drama cant you XD XP!

richardli

Post by richardli » Jan 23rd, '07, 08:13

just like most westerners don't like reading subtitles, japanese don't either. Dubbing is the only way but if they get the voices wrong they it sounds silly but Japan has a whole training system of voice actors called seiyu

nikochanr3

Post by nikochanr3 » Jan 23rd, '07, 13:20

captain-nippon wrote:this is the reason why japanese are not going anywhere with the drama and low budget movies. Having american imports to complete with the Domestic MARKET is a BAD IDEA.

:P they WANT to watch 24. the people i know in japan LIKE watching 24. should they restrict their choices to help their tv companies?

sometimes i question the stupidity of captain nippon, although seeing you say something not racist against koreans is a plus for once.

Prince of Moles

Post by Prince of Moles » Jan 23rd, '07, 22:11

Competition is good. If it (whatever the product is) can't survive the competition it's second rate and should go away anyway.

My friend in Japan loves 24. I think she watches it in English. I believe that it is possible to watch the show in the original language (whatever it may be) if you switch to the Fukuonsei (the 2ndary audio channel). When I am in Japan and an English language show is on that I want to watch, I just turn on the Fukuonsei. Of course if the original language is Chinese or German then I have to sit through the dubs.

Sadly I don't think there's an easy method to watch with subtitles.

Personally I like Battlestar Galactica more. :p

nikochanr3

Post by nikochanr3 » Jan 24th, '07, 01:57

Prince of Moles wrote:Competition is good. If it (whatever the product is) can't survive the competition it's second rate and should go away anyway.

My friend in Japan loves 24. I think she watches it in English. I believe that it is possible to watch the show in the original language (whatever it may be) if you switch to the Fukuonsei (the 2ndary audio channel). When I am in Japan and an English language show is on that I want to watch, I just turn on the Fukuonsei. Of course if the original language is Chinese or German then I have to sit through the dubs.

Sadly I don't think there's an easy method to watch with subtitles.

Personally I like Battlestar Galactica more. :p
they have all the seasons on dvd, my wife watches in english with japanese subtitles.

hepcat05

Post by hepcat05 » Jan 24th, '07, 02:38

24 is my favorite US show. The skit with Carlos Bernard was hysterical. He had this look on his face like, "what the hell are you people doing" half the time.

Toward the end, he tries to say a few Japanese words and everyone starts laughing. I couldn't tell if they were laughing at what he said or the way he pronounced it.

I was telling one of my Japanese friends about 24 recently and I asked her how to say "We are running out of time!" and "set up a perimeter!" When she asked why, I explained that those two lines make up half the script of each episode. :P

Acke

Post by Acke » Jan 24th, '07, 16:53

Haha i watched it too haha
quite funny

richardli

Post by richardli » Feb 28th, '07, 06:32

SAmmie-Chan wrote:~ I had no iudea 24 had even beeen dubbenin to Japanese ~ What sereise are they up to?
Just finished season 4

crazylife123
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by crazylife123 » Feb 28th, '07, 06:53

just wondering...does any of japan's production have the same budget as 24?