How to convert Softsubs to Hardsubs

Discuss fansubbing issues, problems, or learn how to create fansubs.
romantic_wish

How to convert Softsubs to Hardsubs

Postby romantic_wish » Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:49 am

heres a quick step by step to convert softsubs to hard subs

1. install / extract VirtualDub (search it at google, you'll have no problem finding it.)

2.Once VirtualDub is installed, install VobSub.

3.When installing VobSub, make sure that you includ the "VobSub for Virtual Dub" plugin and the "TextSub for Virtual Dub" plugin.

4. when done installing, load a video file into VirtualDub, by clicking File > Open Video File

5.Next, click Video > Filters from the drop down menu. Click the "Add" button and a new dialog box will appear with a list of filters. If TextSub is not available in the list, click the Load button and find the *.vdf file in the VobSub program files directory (Gabest).

6.Double click text subs

7.Click the "Open" button to load the subtitles appropriate to the movie, then click "OK" and "OK" again to get back to the main VirtualDub screen.

8.Click Video > compression... when a dialog box appears, Select Divx 5.11 codec ( or whichever Divx codec you have in the dialog box) then click OK.

9. Then click File> save as... to save your AVI movie

10. The process of encoding the subtitles to the movie will begin.. wait for a while.

AAAnd then atlast, enjoy the movie!

You can also visit these sites if youre still having trouble:

http://divxstation.com/article.asp?aId=100

http://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?s=dc4 ... try7532837

fathuze

Postby fathuze » Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:14 am

okay... i have 2 question here... FYI right now i'm using VirtualDubMod and Subtitle Workshop to convert from softsub subtitle files to hardsub subtitle files.

1) I try to edit the font in the .srt files to the colour version but when i'm try to save it into .ssa files it seem not working. same thing happen when i try to edit the font of .ssa files to colour version

2) how to make the subtiltle appear above and bottom of the video at the same time???
(to show the meaning of word, etc)

thank you guys

zindaka

Postby zindaka » Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:28 am

hey, does virtual dub have extra codecs in it?
i believe last time i installed it, all my codecs went wrong (i use CCCP). it may have been caused by something else, im just checking.

Cerviel

Postby Cerviel » Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:39 am

I've been translating the English subtitles of Yasha into German for some friends of mine.
However when I try to convert the softsubs into hardsubs (for one episode) it takes 30GB space O_o;

Anyone has a suggestion what went wrong? :7
(I was also considering to make the German subs available here but I'm not sure how to upload them here ._.)

naoto

Postby naoto » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:32 am

^you are forgetting to select compression codec, so it is encoding as raw avi.

this is posted in the help on fansubbing thread as well with screenshots, that's where I learned how to do it! :cheers:

xYuki

Postby xYuki » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:14 am

i tend to find this stuff difficult, so an easier way to do it is to use a freeware program called, AVI Recomp. you just choose the avi file and the soft sub then after u convert it, the file should be one.
Watching: Hanazari No Kimi Tachi E
join our yamapi group!

Cerviel

Postby Cerviel » Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:41 pm

o thank you very much =)

skeffington

Postby skeffington » Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:20 pm

I'm getting this error message when i try to upload a video:

'Couldn't locate decompressor for format 'XVID' (unkown)

'Virtualdub requires a Video for Windows (VFW) compatible codec to decompress video. DirectShows codecs, such as those used by Windows Media Player, are not suitable.'

Can anyone help?

sweetdreams1891

Postby sweetdreams1891 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:53 pm

skeffington wrote:I'm getting this error message when i try to upload a video:

'Couldn't locate decompressor for format 'XVID' (unkown)

'Virtualdub requires a Video for Windows (VFW) compatible codec to decompress video. DirectShows codecs, such as those used by Windows Media Player, are not suitable.'

Can anyone help?

im getting that exact same message...and i too dont know what is wrong...

dhmylene

Postby dhmylene » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:38 pm

Sweetdreams1891 & Skeffington,
You need to install XviD codec Visit http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Koepi_XviD.htm

sweetdreams1891

Postby sweetdreams1891 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:05 am

dhmylene wrote:Sweetdreams1891 & Skeffington,
You need to install XviD codec Visit http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Koepi_XviD.htm

wow...thanks sooooooooo much!! :D

dhmylene

Postby dhmylene » Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:58 pm

fathuze wrote:okay... i have 2 question here... FYI right now i'm using VirtualDubMod and Subtitle Workshop to convert from softsub subtitle files to hardsub subtitle files.

1) I try to edit the font in the .srt files to the colour version but when i'm try to save it into .ssa files it seem not working. same thing happen when i try to edit the font of .ssa files to colour version

2) how to make the subtiltle appear above and bottom of the video at the same time???
(to show the meaning of word, etc)

thank you guys

Dealing with font colors, some reason, using Subtitle Workshop feature settings does not work for me either, therefore I use DivXLand Media Subtitler . Contact me through PM if you need more asstance.

a_my_me

Question

Postby a_my_me » Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:23 pm

xYuki wrote:i tend to find this stuff difficult, so an easier way to do it is to use a freeware program called, AVI Recomp. you just choose the avi file and the soft sub then after u convert it, the file should be one.

I've found this software interesting. However, the file should be in AVI first or is it possible to make it from RMVB file??? Thanks for your advice :D

rambutan
Fansubber
Fansubber

Re: Question

Postby rambutan » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:12 am

a_my_me wrote:
xYuki wrote:i tend to find this stuff difficult, so an easier way to do it is to use a freeware program called, AVI Recomp. you just choose the avi file and the soft sub then after u convert it, the file should be one.

I've found this software interesting. However, the file should be in AVI first or is it possible to make it from RMVB file??? Thanks for your advice :D

I converted one rmbv file to avi then tried to hard-sub it with this AVI Recomp freeware. Something went terribly wrong; my MPC would not play subs any more! I had to delete and upload every thing again. What went wrong?

fathuze

Postby fathuze » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:24 am

I converted one rmbv file to avi then tried to hard-sub it with this AVI Recomp freeware

excuse me, may i know what converter do you use for that purpose??? i've search like hell for that kind of converter... RMVB to AVI... thank you

a_my_me

Postby a_my_me » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:39 am

fathuze wrote:
I converted one rmbv file to avi then tried to hard-sub it with this AVI Recomp freeware

excuse me, may i know what converter do you use for that purpose??? i've search like hell for that kind of converter... RMVB to AVI... thank you

I'm using Ultra RM Converter now and so far only can produce RAW AVI file (which consumes quite enomous file space :-( ) However I can burn it into CD with NERO. The sad part is that after NERO my file changed into MPEG instead (playable in many players) and cannot use AVI Recomp since this software only usable for AVI file I think :roll

my friend recommended me to use virtualdub instead. it should be OK to convert RMVB to AVI and add the subs as well :wub: However I haven't found time to try it yet :mrgreen:

rambutan
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby rambutan » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:51 am

a_my_me wrote:
fathuze wrote:

I'm using Ultra RM Converter now and so far only can produce RAW AVI file (which consumes quite enomous file space :-( ) However I can burn it into CD with NERO. The sad part is that after NERO my file changed into MPEG instead (playable in many players) and cannot use AVI Recomp since this software only usable for AVI file I think :roll

my friend recommended me to use virtualdub instead. it should be OK to convert RMVB to AVI and add the subs as well :wub: However I haven't found time to try it yet :mrgreen:

I use this freeware called MediaCoder. Easy to use. So far, only done conversion from rmbv to avi. No loss of quality, I see.

fathuze

Postby fathuze » Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:20 am

lucypcng wrote:
a_my_me wrote:
fathuze wrote:

I use this freeware called MediaCoder. Easy to use. So far, only done conversion from rmbv to avi. No loss of quality, I see.

to a_my_me, i dont think virtualdubmod can convert that RMVB file bcoz i already try it and it's not working... if MPEG or other files, i think it can...

Ueharaa

please help me !!

Postby Ueharaa » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:30 am

I wanted to convert soft subs into hard subs and I installed Avi ReComp .
the installation worked fine, but now i can't play soft subtitles when i'm playing a video into windows media player or media player classic. :-(
By installing, Avi Recomp, i installed these components: AviSynth, Xvid and VIrtualDubMob. AviRecomp also requires Vobsub to work fine, but I already have it .
I didn't change anything to my configuration but now it seems that vobsub won't recognize the subtitle file when I play a video, though they have the same name ...
And I uninstalled all Avi ReComp components ( except VobSub) but it still doesn't work....I uninstalled and reinstalled vobsub but it still doesn't work .... :scratch:
please , please, please, Can somebody help me ??????????

and i'm sorry for my bad english... :unsure:

rambutan
Fansubber
Fansubber

Re: please help me !!

Postby rambutan » Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:01 pm

Ueharaa wrote:I wanted to convert soft subs into hard subs and I installed Avi ReComp .
the installation worked fine, but now i can't play soft subtitles when i'm playing a video into windows media player or media player classic. :-(
By installing, Avi Recomp, i installed these components: AviSynth, Xvid and VIrtualDubMob. AviRecomp also requires Vobsub to work fine, but I already have it .
I didn't change anything to my configuration but now it seems that vobsub won't recognize the subtitle file when I play a video, though they have the same name ...
And I uninstalled all Avi ReComp components ( except VobSub) but it still doesn't work....I uninstalled and reinstalled vobsub but it still doesn't work .... :scratch:
please , please, please, Can somebody help me ??????????

and i'm sorry for my bad english... :unsure:

Met the same problem as you did. I deleted Avi Recomp software, uninstalled MPC and the attendant software K-Lite Codec, downloaded a fresh MPC and K-Lite Codec and installed them, and reinstalled Real Alternative (to play rm and rmvb files). Problem solved.

Ueharaa

Postby Ueharaa » Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:37 pm

thenk you so much lucypcng !!
this helped me a lot :D :D

a_my_me

Postby a_my_me » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:08 pm

fathuze wrote:
lucypcng wrote:
a_my_me wrote:
fathuze wrote:

to a_my_me, i dont think virtualdubmod can convert that RMVB file bcoz i already try it and it's not working... if MPEG or other files, i think it can...

really?? Never tried it myself, but my friend here always uses it and it works fine for her :scratch: are you sure about this? :O

noriko_kawada

Postby noriko_kawada » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:37 pm

Simple hard-subbing using MPlayer (http://mplayerhq.hu)

subtitle.bat

Code: Select all

mencoder -o "%3" -sub "%2" -font tahoma.ttf -subfont-encoding unicode -utf8 -ffactor 10 -subpos 100 -subalign 2 -subfont-autoscale 2 -subfont-blur 1.1 -subfont-outline 1.2 -subfont-text-scale 3 -subfont-osd-scale 4.2 -oac copy "%1"

usage:

Code: Select all

subtitle.bat input.avi input.srt output.avi

Result example:

habukie
AiRen
AiRen

Postby habukie » Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:43 am

a_my_me wrote:
fathuze wrote:to a_my_me, i dont think virtualdubmod can convert that RMVB file bcoz i already try it and it's not working... if MPEG or other files, i think it can...

really?? Never tried it myself, but my friend here always uses it and it works fine for her :scratch: are you sure about this? :O

you can use virtualdubmod to convert .rmvb....i do it all the time. you just need to use avisynth as well. there's a good tutorial over at videohelp.com for this method.

mari_

Postby mari_ » Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:09 pm

i've got a error msg when i reach step 3.. "cannot load filter module "C:\Program Files\Gabest\VobSub\textsub.vdf": %1 is not valid Win32 application"

what can i do?

aineliam

Postby aineliam » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:12 pm

Guys, I found this site really helpful adn was able to hardsub my file.

:)

meoinkie2

Re: How to convert Softsubs to Hardsubs

Postby meoinkie2 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:08 am

romantic_wish wrote:heres a quick step by step to convert softsubs to hard subs

1. install / extract VirtualDub (search it at google, you'll have no problem finding it.)

2.Once VirtualDub is installed, install VobSub.

3.When installing VobSub, make sure that you includ the "VobSub for Virtual Dub" plugin and the "TextSub for Virtual Dub" plugin.

4. when done installing, load a video file into VirtualDub, by clicking File > Open Video File

5.Next, click Video > Filters from the drop down menu. Click the "Add" button and a new dialog box will appear with a list of filters. If TextSub is not available in the list, click the Load button and find the *.vdf file in the VobSub program files directory (Gabest).

6.Double click text subs

7.Click the "Open" button to load the subtitles appropriate to the movie, then click "OK" and "OK" again to get back to the main VirtualDub screen.

8.Click Video > compression... when a dialog box appears, Select Divx 5.11 codec ( or whichever Divx codec you have in the dialog box) then click OK.

9. Then click File> save as... to save your AVI movie

10. The process of encoding the subtitles to the movie will begin.. wait for a while.

AAAnd then atlast, enjoy the movie!

You can also visit these sites if youre still having trouble:

http://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?s=dc4 ... try7532837

im having a big problem at step number 5.. whenever i click on the text subs.vdf, it says there's an error or some sorts, not a valid Win32 application something like that..now im totally stuck.. please help!!!!

ani01manga

Postby ani01manga » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:34 am

I try to combine iljimae episode 16 with the soft sub, but it wouldn't. Do anyone have any ideas what's wrong and why it won't allow it to put it together? If anyone knows, pls help me...^^

sungie

Postby sungie » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:20 pm

ani01manga wrote:I try to combine iljimae episode 16 with the soft sub, but it wouldn't. Do anyone have any ideas what's wrong and why it won't allow it to put it together? If anyone knows, pls help me...^^

It'd help a lot if you posted error message here, and also mentioned what version you have as a RAW. Also, what program are you using? VirtualDubMod?

And remember you cannot re-distribute the hardsub unless you subbed it yourself :)

aXn08cott

Postby aXn08cott » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:46 am

how long is the wait for it???

battlegirlai

Postby battlegirlai » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:54 am

aXn08cott wrote:

depending on your computer processing speed and the codec and settings you use to encode it and the size of the file, a 48 minute episode of a show can take anywhere from 2 hours to 9 hours...sometimes longer, but that has rarely happened for me. if you are running any other programs, it slows down the encoding a bit. generally its best to set something to encode right before you go to sleep so you aren't running as many extra programs

aXn08cott

Postby aXn08cott » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:08 am

battlegirlai wrote:
aXn08cott wrote:

depending on your computer processing speed and the codec and settings you use to encode it and the size of the file, a 48 minute episode of a show can take anywhere from 2 hours to 9 hours...sometimes longer, but that has rarely happened for me. if you are running any other programs, it slows down the encoding a bit. generally its best to set something to encode right before you go to sleep so you aren't running as many extra programs

damn that long wow my computers gonna heat up fast then...
man oh man this better be worth it or else it gonna suck and..

ani01manga

Postby ani01manga » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:03 pm

sungie wrote:
ani01manga wrote:I try to combine iljimae episode 16 with the soft sub, but it wouldn't. Do anyone have any ideas what's wrong and why it won't allow it to put it together? If anyone knows, pls help me...^^

It'd help a lot if you posted error message here, and also mentioned what version you have as a RAW. Also, what program are you using? VirtualDubMod?

And remember you cannot re-distribute the hardsub unless you subbed it yourself :)

Yes, I use VirtualDubMod to join the soft sub with the video?

RAW video: Iljimae.E16.080710.HDTV.XviD-Ental

Soft Sub: Iljimae.e16.kor.080710.hdtv.xviD-ental.kst.cichlid

jenpardeno

Postby jenpardeno » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:56 am

hi i've been converting soft sub to hard sub..i successfully converted it but when i play the video the hardsub has shadow..i cant read it clealy..

Anyone has a suggestion what went wrong?

lavenderMist234

Postby lavenderMist234 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:40 pm

I have a problem converting files. I was trying to convert the following file:

You're Beautiful.E02.091008.HDTV.X264.450p-HAN
then a error occur saying:

Couldn't locate decompressor for format 'H264'
VirtualDub requires aq Video for Windows (VFW) compatible codec to decompress video. DirectShow codecs, such as those used by Windows Media Player, are not suitable.

How do you solve this?

sungie

Postby sungie » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:35 am

lavenderMist234 wrote:I have a problem converting files. I was trying to convert the following file:

You're Beautiful.E02.091008.HDTV.X264.450p-HAN
then a error occur saying:

Couldn't locate decompressor for format 'H264'
VirtualDub requires aq Video for Windows (VFW) compatible codec to decompress video. DirectShow codecs, such as those used by Windows Media Player, are not suitable.

How do you solve this?

Open ffdshow VFW configuration and make sure you don't have "disabled" for H.264/AVC. In other words: change it to libavcodec.

AkumaX
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby AkumaX » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:36 am

I suggest downloading the XviD Ental rips, since VirtualDub can't (explicitly) handle the h.264 HAN files :)

msblia

Postby msblia » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:49 pm

I have a question.

I can load the .ssa subtitles onto the video, but when I tried converting the video with the subs, the subs with 2 lines dont show, in other words, when a person is talking, and there are 2 lines, one on top and one on bottom, the bottom line gets cut off. I tried resizing teh video, but that didnt work either.

so, does that mean that I have to go through all the subs and fix the subs into 1 long line? cos that will be a hassle for all 16 episodes!!

BTW, I am using Subtitle workshop to convert .srt to .ssa and Virtual Dub.
I dont know if I am missing any codecs or anything.

so, please, HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

AkumaX
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby AkumaX » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:14 am

why not just convert the video with the .srt?

msblia

Postby msblia » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:10 am

AkumaX wrote:why not just convert the video with the .srt?

I tried with the .srt file. but the subs are not showing up.
and if i convert the .srt to .ssa, the second line subs are getting cut off.
are there any other subbing programs besides VirtualDub that can put in hardsubs without the second line getting cut off?

hafizadam

Postby hafizadam » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:20 am

as for the .srt, do you have the VobSub filter installed?

msblia

Postby msblia » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:33 am

ahh, that's what i forgot to do.
it didnt work at first but it did now.
I installed vobSub, but there were no textsub so i had to reinstall the vobsub again.
it works now!!

thank you so much!!!

esmer86
Upload Addict
Upload Addict

Postby esmer86 » Tue May 11, 2010 10:37 pm

I've installed everything correctly and even tried one video to see it works but It degraded the video a little. Does anybody know a trick so it could keep its clearity? My MAJOR problem right now is that I have an video that gives me a VirtualDub Warning. it says that my AVI: stream 1(audio) has a non-zero start position of 534 samples (+33 ms). Virtual Dub does not currently suppost a non-zero start time and the stream will be interpreted as starting from zero.

umm...what does that mean? :scratch:

bmwracer

Postby bmwracer » Tue May 11, 2010 10:46 pm

esmer86 wrote:I've installed everything correctly and even tried one video to see it works but It degraded the video a little. Does anybody know a trick so it could keep its clearity? My MAJOR problem right now is that I have an video that gives me a VirtualDub Warning. it says that my AVI: stream 1(audio) has a non-zero start position of 534 samples (+33 ms). Virtual Dub does not currently suppost a non-zero start time and the stream will be interpreted as starting from zero.

It's just a warning... I think you can ignore it unless you see a audio/video sync problem.

I've seen the message in the past and have always ignored it. :)

To maintain video quality, you need to change the encoding settings for the encoder you're using... In my case, I typically choose anywhere from 1-4 in XviD with single-pass encoding.
If you need me to seed Ueno Juri-chan or Yonekura Ryoko-chan stuff, please PM me. :salut:

esmer86
Upload Addict
Upload Addict

Postby esmer86 » Tue May 11, 2010 10:59 pm

bmwracer wrote:
esmer86 wrote:I've installed everything correctly and even tried one video to see it works but It degraded the video a little. Does anybody know a trick so it could keep its clearity? My MAJOR problem right now is that I have an video that gives me a VirtualDub Warning. it says that my AVI: stream 1(audio) has a non-zero start position of 534 samples (+33 ms). Virtual Dub does not currently suppost a non-zero start time and the stream will be interpreted as starting from zero.

It's just a warning... I think you can ignore it unless you see a audio/video sync problem.

To maintain video quality, you need to change the encoding settings for the encoder you're using... In my case, I typically choose anywhere from 1-4 in XviD with single-pass encoding.

thanks after the warning i thought something was wrong with the video so i didnt try to do anything with it but now i'll give it a shot. For the quality purpose too! :salut:

bmwracer

Postby bmwracer » Tue May 11, 2010 11:06 pm

esmer86 wrote:
bmwracer wrote:

thanks after the warning i thought something was wrong with the video so i didnt try to do anything with it but now i'll give it a shot. For the quality purpose too! :salut:
Hope it works out for you... :thumright:
If you need me to seed Ueno Juri-chan or Yonekura Ryoko-chan stuff, please PM me. :salut:

Cici

Postby Cici » Sat May 29, 2010 2:13 pm

THanks so much for the explanation, I didn't know how to compress it, so my files always got REALLY BIG!!
But I was wondering one thing.. I have an .avi file I want to sub, but it sais it's not supported.. But it works with my other .avi files.. Is there anything I have to do??

And, I was wondering, what software do I use to convert .mkv files??

I'm sorry if it's been asked before.. Hehe..

If you can help me, I would be REALLY greatfull ^_^

bmwracer

Postby bmwracer » Sat May 29, 2010 10:00 pm

Cici wrote:THanks so much for the explanation, I didn't know how to compress it, so my files always got REALLY BIG!!

Yeah, if you don't encode it using DivX or XviD the file is really huge. :sweat:

But I was wondering one thing.. I have an .avi file I want to sub, but it sais it's not supported.. But it works with my other .avi files.. Is there anything I have to do??

What program are you using?

What file is it?

And, I was wondering, what software do I use to convert .mkv files??

The easiest program to use would be avidemux: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/AviDemux

Good luck. :thumright:

outcast_within

Postby outcast_within » Sat May 29, 2010 10:06 pm

http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/download.php?id=11221
http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/download.php?id=11261
http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/download.php?id=11276

could someone please convert these three srt subs for me into ssa?

I googled how to myself and learned how and succeeded a couple of times. But these files get an error and won't convert fully to ssa and another program works but it shows the subs on to up side of the screen.

Pleaaase _|O|o

bmwracer

Postby bmwracer » Sat May 29, 2010 10:40 pm

^ Why do you need to convert them to .ssa?

You should be able to use the .srt files without any problems...

outcast_within

Postby outcast_within » Sat May 29, 2010 10:46 pm

bmwracer wrote:^ Why do you need to convert them to .ssa?

cos that's how i got subtitles to work in vdub.

bmwracer

Postby bmwracer » Sat May 29, 2010 10:54 pm

outcast_within wrote:

VirtualDub will take .srt files as well... I use .srt files all the time. :)

nangdo

Postby nangdo » Sat May 29, 2010 11:35 pm

outcast_within wrote:

Well, assuming that for some reason you do need to change them into .ssa - it's easy enough to do. I use Jubler. It'll run under XP, Linux or OS X. Simply open the srt file, and save as an ssa file and there you are. I'm sure most of the other subtitling programs will do the same. I think in Aegisub it's one of the export options.

outcast_within

Postby outcast_within » Sun May 30, 2010 2:06 am

nangdo wrote:
outcast_within wrote:

Well, assuming that for some reason you do need to change them into .ssa - it's easy enough to do. I use Jubler. It'll run under XP, Linux or OS X. Simply open the srt file, and save as an ssa file and there you are. I'm sure most of the other subtitling programs will do the same. I think in Aegisub it's one of the export options.

I tried it in two different programs. One did half job and the other messed with sub placements.

porcupine

Postby porcupine » Sun May 30, 2010 2:38 am

outcast_within wrote:
nangdo wrote:
outcast_within wrote:

I tried it in two different programs. One did half job and the other messed with sub placements.

Outcast_within, I have done what bmwracer outlined hundreds of times to convert srt to .ssa or .ass files. If there is a problem, it is usually with an odd character in the dialogue that the program gets hung up on. Aegisub is the very best at overcoming any problems. Sabbu.exe will choke but usually tells you what it is choking on. You could also try opening with wordpad and saving as a Unicode text document then change .txt back to srt on the new file then open with one of the above programs. Good luck.

porcupine

Postby porcupine » Sun May 30, 2010 3:32 am

Actually, I just went back and downloaded the srt's you referenced and found that they had several problems that are choking the programs.

I had to load the file in wordpad and save it as MS-DOS format .txt file.
( After doing this, they must be in a different folder from the srt's or you must rename the srt to Tiger & Dragon RAW - ep09 (704x396).old.srt.)

Now change the extension on the saved file from txt to srt.

Now load (new) srt file with sabbu.exe, chose "save as", pick file type ssa and save. You're done.

sabbu.exe is available here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/sabbu/
Hope this helps. I would have just uploaded the files to you, but attaching files is not allowed in this forum.

Cici

Postby Cici » Sun May 30, 2010 4:49 am

bmwracer wrote: What program are you using?

For subbing? VirtualDub 1.9.9

What file is it?

The file I'm trying to sub is an .avi file.. "VLC Media File (.avi)" it sais when I click on it.. The same thing it sais on almost all my files..

The easiest program to use would be avidemux: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/AviDemux

Thanks ^_^ I'll dl and try it as soon as I get home from work ^_^

hh1974

Postby hh1974 » Sun May 30, 2010 5:01 am

Thanks very much!!!

outcast_within

Postby outcast_within » Sun May 30, 2010 7:06 pm

porcupine wrote:Actually, I just went back and downloaded the srt's you referenced and found that they had several problems that are choking the programs.

( After doing this, they must be in a different folder from the srt's or you must rename the srt to Tiger & Dragon RAW - ep09 (704x396).old.srt.)

Now load (new) srt file with sabbu.exe, chose "save as", pick file type ssa and save. You're done.

Hope this helps. I would have just uploaded the files to you, but attaching files is not allowed in this forum.

i tried this method and all went well untill i tried to put them on the avi. They were showing on the upper side of the screen again.
I did not have that problem with earlier episodes.

porcupine

Postby porcupine » Mon May 31, 2010 1:48 pm

outcast_within wrote:
porcupine wrote:Actually, I just went back and downloaded the srt's you referenced and found that they had several problems that are choking the programs.

i tried this method and all went well untill i tried to put them on the avi. They were showing on the upper side of the screen again.

It sounds as if you have a setting in vdub for default position that is causing the problem.

Try loading ssa in sabbu, clicking the video tab on the left near top. then click "transformations" tab in right panel. You will see three numbers for margins, should all be 20 by default.

Now change all three positions from 20 to 21. Save the file to disk. This will force a position to be written in the ssa rather than just default.

Try your video again. If it still doesn't work, there has to be a setting in vdub that positions the subs. I dont use that program, so I can't help you with it.
good luck.

bmwracer

Postby bmwracer » Mon May 31, 2010 3:03 pm

porcupine wrote:Try your video again. If it still doesn't work, there has to be a setting in vdub that positions the subs.

There is: In VirtualDub, it's Filters > Add > Text Sub

If that filter isn't there, you need to install VOBSub: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/VobSub

The defaults for the margins is 20. :)

outcast_within

Postby outcast_within » Mon May 31, 2010 9:54 pm

porcupine wrote:
outcast_within wrote:

It sounds as if you have a setting in vdub for default position that is causing the problem.

Try loading ssa in sabbu, clicking the video tab on the left near top. then click "transformations" tab in right panel. You will see three numbers for margins, should all be 20 by default.

Now change all three positions from 20 to 21. Save the file to disk. This will force a position to be written in the ssa rather than just default.

Try your video again. If it still doesn't work, there has to be a setting in vdub that positions the subs. I dont use that program, so I can't help you with it.
good luck.

all three files had errors in them but only ep nine was getting weird high subtitles. The others not. So iwatched nine on pc and the rest i can watch on my xbox :)

bmwracer

Postby bmwracer » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:29 pm

mtptl wrote:Thank you, that tutorial proved helpful when I tested it out with an .AVI + .srt but unfortunately that raises another question for me, how can I extract subs from an .mkv (matroska) file to .sub or .srt format? Any help would be much appreciated.

Use MKVextract: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MKVExtractGUI

BTW, I don't think you're supposed to be advertising for business sites. :scratch:

LonelyDummy

Postby LonelyDummy » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:30 pm

romantic_wish wrote:

this is the step that i got stuck at. when i "double click" on the textsub vdf file an error message pop up saying the file is not valid win32 application or something similar to that. please help. thanks.

Licia

Postby Licia » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:41 am

Hi, this is my first try at hardsubbing, so I'm a bit fidgety. Is it normal to not have sounds while the virtualdub is converting? thanks!

Oh, and to the post above, I encountered the same problem. What you have to do is to make sure the vobsub is installed in your virtualdub folder. During installation of Vobsub, choose the virtualdub folder to install the vobsub for virtualdub software and you're good to go.

Engelchen18
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby Engelchen18 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:39 am

Licia wrote:Hi, this is my first try at hardsubbing, so I'm a bit fidgety. Is it normal to not have sounds while the virtualdub is converting? thanks!

yes that is normal
Image Image
SunRise: Deutsche Subs SunRise Wikipage

lucus_clyne

Postby lucus_clyne » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:23 am

do you know any software that is not too difficult to manipulate? because i'm new into these stuffs. i just want to hardsub my videos with its corresponding .srt files so that i can watch it in my itouch and dvd player. thanks in advance.

dangoJr

Postby dangoJr » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:50 am

Hi. i am new here. Thanks for the tutorial. I am having some problems with Ogon no Buta . when i open the filiters Textsubs 2.23 n selecting the subs for the show, but for some reasons, the show's subs can be found but when i double click on it, i can see the subs. the subs is in notepad, but its says srt

ben13

Postby ben13 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:31 pm

best way to convert softsubs to hardsubs is converting the video file with softsubs to any other formoat or same format using any encoding app... i prefer StaxRip..:)

Lanigirl

Postby Lanigirl » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:02 am

Aloha,

I hope someone can assist me. I use Avi Recomp to make the soft subs hard subs so I can watch the drama on a big screen. Since yesterday Avi Recomp has been re syncing the subs. When I play the soft subs with the video file its fine when I try to hard sub the subs there is a delay in the speaking and the subs appearing. I used subtitle workshop to re-save it as a .srt file yet that did not help - I even deleted Avi recomp and re-installed it.

Help!

ikhwannisaa

Postby ikhwannisaa » Thu May 05, 2011 3:34 am

I got the audio delayed when I'm trying to add subtitle, I used XVID MPEG-4 Codec...
There's no DiVX option...

how to make it no delayed between pictures and audio?

ya1ya

Postby ya1ya » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:43 am

6.Double click text subs

I downloaded all the programs that were required and also that extra .Xvid codec since the video wasn't working at first....
I got as far as #7 and once i found the right subtitle (.srt) to go with the video the Textsub Setting (right after the filter pop-up) won't let me click "Ok"! The only buttons I can click are: Open or Cancel...
What am i doing wrong? Do I need to download another codec???? :-(

mcbainpc

Postby mcbainpc » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:07 am

ya1ya wrote:
6.Double click text subs

I downloaded all the programs that were required and also that extra .Xvid codec since the video wasn't working at first....
I got as far as #7 and once i found the right subtitle (.srt) to go with the video the Textsub Setting (right after the filter pop-up) won't let me click "Ok"! The only buttons I can click are: Open or Cancel...
What am i doing wrong? Do I need to download another codec???? :-(

I have the exact same problem and from everything I can find it seems to be a problem with Windows 7 64 bit and possibly Vista 64 bit. I'm dusting off an old 32 bit XP laptop from a desk drawer right now to test my theory. I'll let you know how it goes!

savedbygrace

Postby savedbygrace » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:10 am

Thank you for this tutorial. I downloaded the divX. It was successful. However the output video became 300MB from 600MB, thus it's not that clear, pixelizing. Any suggestions please?

mcbainpc

Postby mcbainpc » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:40 am

Well, scratch that theory. I really wish I could get this working. Does anyone know what to do?

Return to “Fansubbing”