DramaWiki - Information Repository for Asian Dramas UPDATE

Data, images, links, competition and er other stuff are here.
Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

DramaWiki - Information Repository for Asian Dramas UPDATE

Post by Ruroshin » Mar 16th, '05, 01:45

DramaWiki — http://wiki.d-addicts.com/

Updated the mediawiki software for DramaWiki to the latest version. I've added the captcha and spamblacklist extension to it so I want to try opening up account creation to the public again. You can now create accounts without the need to email an admin.

edit by MoerkJ: Please, when you apply for an account, state how you want to contribute to DramaWiki as an editor.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It seems we have outgrown our current server, we're now using more bandwidth than what we are allocated and the server is starting to experience high load more than often. So I am currently in the process of setting up a bigger server in both bandwidth and processing power. Its likely this will be done in the next few days, after that we will make the switch over.

DramaWiki will be temporarly offline for an hour or so during the move. The new server will also be located in the same datacenter as the forum so there will be an IP address change. I will post more details closer to the change over date.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ANNOUNCEMENT:
As of April 18, 2007, new accounts in Drama Wiki have been locked. You do not need an account to browse the Wiki, but if you want to edit entries, please read the following threads:

http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Help:Contents
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/DramaWiki:Style_guide
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/DramaWiki:DramaWiki_is_not

Once you read and understand these threads, please pm Ruroshin, gryzze, mizune, or MoerkJ for a new account.

Please provide a reason and purpose for requesting an account. Your justification should include what you intend to edit and what you propose to contribute. (Yes, you still need to read the threads above....)
Last edited by Ruroshin on Aug 15th, '09, 10:51, edited 6 times in total.

groink

Post by groink » Mar 16th, '05, 02:00

The word "wiki" was actually derived from the Hawaiian word "wiki-wiki", which means "quick", "speedy" or "fast". Wiki became such a popular term, it was added to the 2004 American Heritage Dictionary. The following is the definition that was added:

[wiki, name given in 1995 by American computer programmer Ward Cunningham to his new code, which permits the easy development of collaborative websites whose content can be edited by anyone with access to them. From Hawaiian wikiwiki “fast, speedy”, reduplication of wiki “fast”, akin to Tahitian viti and vitiviti, “deft, alert, well done”, both from Proto-Eastern-Polynesian *witi.]

--- groink

cococrust
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by cococrust » Mar 16th, '05, 02:13

Thats great

I was actually having a preliminary discussion with Touya and wondering if we should have someting like jdorama.com for Kdramas.

:D

Jannah
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by Jannah » Mar 16th, '05, 02:18

Hey, what a great idea! I've been wanting to contribute to a wiki, but was too lazy. :P Now, a Asian drama wiki is just perfect! Thanks Ruro. :)

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Mar 16th, '05, 02:36

groink wrote:The word "wiki" was actually derived from the Hawaiian word "wiki-wiki", which means "quick", "speedy" or "fast". Wiki became such a popular term, it was added to the 2004 American Heritage Dictionary. The following is the definition that was added:

[wiki, name given in 1995 by American computer programmer Ward Cunningham to his new code, which permits the easy development of collaborative websites whose content can be edited by anyone with access to them. From Hawaiian wikiwiki “fast, speedy”, reduplication of wiki “fast”, akin to Tahitian viti and vitiviti, “deft, alert, well done”, both from Proto-Eastern-Polynesian *witi.]

--- groink
from wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki :D

groink

Post by groink » Mar 16th, '05, 03:05

Ruroshin wrote:from wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki :D
Yes, it can be found there, too. The reason I knew about wikiwiki was that I took four years of Hawaiian language at the U. of Hawaii @ Manoa. I really should've taken Japanese instead, but back then I was playing Hawaiian music and didn't yet discover Nori-P.

zahiri

WIKI NANDA YOO!?

Post by zahiri » Mar 18th, '05, 05:18

Ano... this WIKI thingie just pop up at my upper panel beside TORRENT. What in the world is it?
:O

iceberri
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by iceberri » Mar 18th, '05, 05:26

the dramaWiki will serve as a database for information about dramas -- similar to what jdorama has except this will encompass asian dramas in general. You can add short synopses of series th at you've watched along with links to actors -- hopefully over time, a web of dramas connected by actors will allow a more complete database to exist. It's rather empty looking right now. ^_^ You can also add your own personal review of the drama there too. :)

edit --- merged the two topics. :o)

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Mar 19th, '05, 11:58

I've enabled image uploading, try and keep the images below 256kb though.

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by lilswtangel » Mar 23rd, '05, 09:37

ooh....i was wondering what it was ever since it appeared in the tab section at the "home" index.

now i'm excited to be able to write about the dramas that i've watched and the artists from those dramas. :-)

apples

Post by apples » Mar 25th, '05, 09:54

such a cool feature!! so, just one picture for each artist/drama? well, it's just starting out anyway. but it's going to be great!

DarReNz
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by DarReNz » Mar 25th, '05, 10:10

yeah cool now we have our own japanese, korean and chinese database ...... 8)

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Mar 25th, '05, 10:50

Just a little "warning" before you all start adding content. There is a common wiki-etiquette to add only self-written content and properly quoted stuff to prevent copyright violations. I just want to say this because some authors might have something against using their material (e.g. articles, reviews, pictures) without their permission.

Well, happy wiki-writing then...

:fear:

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Mar 25th, '05, 12:32

apples wrote:such a cool feature!! so, just one picture for each artist/drama? well, it's just starting out anyway. but it's going to be great!
there is no such restriction, you can have more than one picture but at the same time don't go nuts and turn it into an image gallery. Its meant to be an information repository after all.

apples

Post by apples » Mar 25th, '05, 13:20

whooops.. i thought it'll have a gallery also. but it'll be a useful resource. althoug i've watched more kdramas than jdramas, except for my favorites, i can hardly remember their names.. jdorama's database helped me remember the actors/actresses.

DarReNz
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by DarReNz » Mar 25th, '05, 13:22

apples wrote:whooops.. i thought it'll have a gallery also. but it'll be a useful resource. althoug i've watched more kdramas than jdramas, except for my favorites, i can hardly remember their names.. jdorama's database helped me remember the actors/actresses.
hmm are we transferring jdorama database here as well ??

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Mar 25th, '05, 16:30

apples wrote:whooops.. i thought it'll have a gallery also.
you can add links to existing galleries on the web. There are lots of actor galleries as well as drama related galleries already. I'm afraid we don't have the webspace for a own huge gallery. After all we will probably have hundreds of drama and actor pages some day. Btw, www.koreanwiz.org with about 300 pages is about 50MB big. Just to give you an impression.
DarReNz wrote:hmm are we transferring jdorama database here as well ??
hmm, be careful that you don't steal other peoples work after all. I don't think that we can decide that. All the well know facts that you can find everywhere are surely no problem, like actor data (e.g. age, body measurements, awards, filmography) and drama information (e.g. cast, weblinks, etc.). Just have a look what we already have. The interesting (and not really trivial) is that we actually link everything together. I have just added a few pages myself. I'm more happy about how the pages are linked together than what they actually contain. The contents can be edited later anytime. :mrgreen:

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Mar 25th, '05, 22:31

No we are not transfering jdorama's database, links to jdorama is good enough.

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Mar 26th, '05, 03:40

After some more playing around as a wiki-n00b I want to give some more short feedback...

You will notice soon that you can only add new pages and edit existing ones. Generally this means users can only add stuff. Adding pages is very easy. All you need to do is to click on a dead link and add text. This means you better check twice if a page does exist already under another name. (The search function come in very handy here). I just want to say this because you cannot delete duplicate pages or merge pages at all. All you can do is redirect duplicate or wrong entries to the proper ones. Maybe a wiki-admin can do some more editing.

This is especially imortant for the users who want add info about korean drama and actors because of the so many different wordings. We already have a "Ha Ji Won" and a "Ha Ji-Won" page, and that's an easy name. It isn't a problem actually. You can see how it can be fixed. It took me a while to find this out. XD

dochira

Post by dochira » Mar 28th, '05, 22:11

Would the wiki be a good place to include completed series and have the links to download them? In this way, users will be able to add entries as they finish. I'm not sure how difficult it is to keep the Completed Series thread up to date.

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Mar 28th, '05, 22:48

MoerkJ wrote:
This is especially imortant for the users who want add info about korean drama and actors because of the so many different wordings. We already have a "Ha Ji Won" and a "Ha Ji-Won" page, and that's an easy name. It isn't a problem actually. You can see how it can be fixed. It took me a while to find this out. XD
Actually, its a good thing to have the missed spelt/alternative spelling there and redirect instead of deleting it because if you delete it sooner or later someone else will come along and add another entry with the alternative spelling.

I'm also wondering if we are duplicating effort since there are some entries at wikipedia for asian artist and dramas

Such as an entry for Cho Ji Woo seems good...then again their entry for Stairway to Heaven is a bit lacking. Hrmm.
dochira wrote:Would the wiki be a good place to include completed series and have the links to download them? In this way, users will be able to add entries as they finish. I'm not sure how difficult it is to keep the Completed Series thread up to date.
Hrm...maybe...wouldn't be hard to post in that topic either.

iceberri
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by iceberri » Mar 29th, '05, 01:10

Ruroshin wrote:Such as an entry for Cho Ji Woo seems good...then again their entry for Stairway to Heaven is a bit lacking. Hrmm.
Korean TV series

Stairway to Heaven was also the English title of a Korean television drama called Chunguk ui Gyehdan.
:lol :lol :lol Anyways, I think it's better if we have our own separate one that consolidates dramas/actorsl. It's easier to standardize things and I prefer having things in one place. :) Besides, our collection is growing nicely, yes? (Albeit a bit lopsidedly... :P)

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Mar 29th, '05, 01:16

iceberri wrote:
Ruroshin wrote:Such as an entry for Cho Ji Woo seems good...then again their entry for Stairway to Heaven is a bit lacking. Hrmm.
Korean TV series

Stairway to Heaven was also the English title of a Korean television drama called Chunguk ui Gyehdan.
:lol :lol :lol Anyways, I think it's better if we have our own separate one that consolidates dramas/actorsl. It's easier to standardize things and I prefer having things in one place. :) Besides, our collection is growing nicely, yes? (Albeit a bit lopsidedly... :P)
Yeah its growing nicely on the Korean side :lol come on where are the Chinese series addicts? You're being left behind by the Korean addicts :P

Kai Lien
AiRen
AiRen

Post by Kai Lien » Mar 29th, '05, 02:03

Ruroshin wrote:Yeah its growing nicely on the Korean side :lol come on where are the Chinese series addicts? You're being left behind by the Korean addicts :P
I'm comin', I'm comin'!! I've been on vacation and I just have to study for a few tests. I have two days off this week...can't wait to put in all my favorites! :w00t: :lol

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Mar 29th, '05, 08:36

Ruroshin wrote:I'm also wondering if we are duplicating effort since there are some entries at wikipedia for asian artist and dramas
Man, you gave me a shock... At first I thought there is already a drama database within wikipedia. But when I saw their Korean drama category, their List of Korean television shows, and their Korean actors category I felt much better. :mrgreen:

dochira wrote:Would the wiki be a good place to include completed series and have the links to download them?
IMHO, it doesn't make much sense to add data that can easily change (e.g. URLs of torrents). You have to update or remove those links too often. Somebody already added some torrentsearch links to 2 or 3 pages. Perhaps not the best idea. The forum and the tracker is a much better place to list or search torrents. It's not that I use the wiki to download anything. :lol

:sleeping:

Calcifer
AiRen
AiRen

Post by Calcifer » Mar 29th, '05, 16:29

Ruroshin wrote: :lol come on where are the Chinese series addicts? You're being left behind by the Korean addicts :P
We'll catch up, don't worry! I can't wait till this dangblasted semester's over and I can get to watching and reviewing!

Kai Lien
AiRen
AiRen

Post by Kai Lien » Mar 31st, '05, 11:01

Can someone please tell me how to add a letter (A,B,C)? I have wrote up an entry but I dunno how to make the letter for it to put in the alphabetical category. Muchos gracias.

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Mar 31st, '05, 11:13

Kai Lien wrote:Can someone please tell me how to add a letter (A,B,C)? I have wrote up an entry but I dunno how to make the letter for it to put in the alphabetical category. Muchos gracias.
The alphabetical category is done automatic as soon as you just tag that entry you made with the proper category.

For example if you just created an entry for a chinese actor then just insert this line in your entry:

Code: Select all

[[Category:CActor]]
and it'll automatically appear under that category.

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Mar 31st, '05, 11:45

Hey, it's growing nicely... Looks like the category thingy is a bit confusing for some at first. Haha, just don't touch the category pages. :wink:

Dunno if it is helpful at all... but here are my 'templates' I use for the korean dramas and artists. You can use them to start new pages. Just remove all sections you don't need. First the drama template:

(hangul title) / (romanized title)

[[Image:PictureIfAvailable.jpg]]

'''Also Known As:''' (alternative english titles)

'''Producer:''' ?<br>
'''Writer:''' ?<br>

'''Cast:'''<br>
[[?]] as ?<br>

'''Episodes:''' ?<br>
'''Broadcasted by:''' ?<br>
'''Broadcast period:''' DD.Mmm.YYYY to DD.Mmm.YYYY<br>

== Synopsis ==

== Other Resources ==

[[Category:KDrama]]
And here is an example for an korean artist. Most important is to change the category at the end of the page so that the entry gets listed in the right category page. :wink:

(hangul name)

[[Image:blabla.jpg]]

'''Also Known As:''' (different romanization)<br>
'''Birth Name:''' (real name)<br>
'''Date of Birth:''' Month ?th, 19??<br>
'''Place of Birth:''' (town), (country)<br>
'''Height:''' 1?? cm<br>
'''Weight:''' ?? kg<br>
'''Blood Type:''' ?<br>
'''Family:''' ???<br>
'''Occupation:''' Actress, Singer<br>
'''Hobby:''' <br>
'''Speciality:''' <br>

== TV Series ==
studio : [[series]] (2005)<br>

== Movies ==
title (2005)<br>

== Awards ==
2005 Awardtitle<br>

== Trivia ==
*(bla)<br>

== Other Resources ==
[http:// Gallery]<br>
[http:// Article]<br>

[[Category:KActress]]
[[Category:KSinger]]

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Mar 31st, '05, 12:14

I'm just currently playing around with apache rules so you may get some errors right now.

edit: Alright I'm done now. http://wiki.d-addicts.com should work now :-)

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Apr 2nd, '05, 08:05

Ruro: hope you don't mind, but i edited the subject line of this thread, and your first post still had the original site address. changed that too.

d-addict members:

check out our new WikiDrama site. it contains reviews and info about asian dramas, actors, actresses, singers, directors and script writers.

if you're interested in contributing, there's a very simple help page and a thorough user guide.

perform a thorough search for your drama/artist/etc before adding pages, since some things may already exist, or listed under an alternate spelling.
The only restriction for content is that it must either relate to an asian tv drama series or an artist who appears in an asian drama series.

apples

Post by apples » Apr 3rd, '05, 17:59

There's no review/discussion forums anymore. I refreshed the main page a few times, but it's gone. So I was wondering if y'all transferred everything to wikiDrama. Or if Ruro is still working it out and the forums didn't really disappear but it was just a temporary error.

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Apr 3rd, '05, 18:05

yep, all reviews were transferred to the Wiki. The review team saw no point in having the review section at the same time with the wiki. The discussion threads were moved to the appropriate entertainment sections. New reviews will be added to the Wiki in the future.
:salut:

apples

Post by apples » Apr 3rd, '05, 21:21

errr.. my stupid brother just had to delete the reply i wrote.. :x

anyway, yeah that makes sense. it's just that the discussion threads are mixed up with other topics/threads now. it's going to be separated and spread out. especially that discussion threads don't get posts as often as other threads do, it'll be tougher to find them. i see the index of reviews is still a sticky, could you make a sticky for an index of discussion as well? i'm being lazy i know, but it'll help others avoid creating new discussion threads when there are ones existing already.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Apr 4th, '05, 06:19

apples wrote:i see the index of reviews is still a sticky, could you make a sticky for an index of discussion as well? i'm being lazy i know, but it'll help others avoid creating new discussion threads when there are ones existing already.
i'm not sure if MoerkJ might be able to do that, but i know that if you go to the drama that you want on WikiDrama, it usually has a link to the relevant discussion thread.

apples

Post by apples » Apr 4th, '05, 06:43

thanks jholic. i found it. got confused when i saw the page for beautiful days cos there wasn't any discussion link except for the one on top. and that one doesn't link to the forum's discussion page. but damo has one. anyway, i'll try to check out more of wiki so i can get used to it. it looks really nice, and has tons of info. one feautre i liked was the other dramas that the director also directed.

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Apr 4th, '05, 06:54

I'm trying to come up with some sort of semi standard way we do the drama and artist entries.

Let start with the artist entry.

So far I suggest this format:

[[Image:an artist image]]

== Profile ==
'''a type''': value

=== Hobbies and Interests ===
*a hobbie or interest

== TV Series ==
#[[A series]] (year in descending order) 

== Movies ==
#A Movie (year)

== Awards ==
*An Award

== Other Resources ==
*Another resource

[[Category(s)]]

Under Personal Information you would have artist's name, birthday, blood type, height, weight etc
You can have many sub category of Personal Information, they would have three "="

and each point would be preceded by "*" to turn it into dot points.

For TV Series and Movies, each one would be preceded by a "#" so that it would be turned into a numbered list. The year of the series or movie can be placed in brackets after it. For TV Series each item must be inside a "[[" and "]]" so that the series can be internally linked.

Awards and Other Resources are dot point list so precede each item with a "*"

A couple of examples:
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Bae_Yong_Jun
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Vicki_Zhao_Wei

What do you think? Anything to add/remove/change?

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Apr 5th, '05, 16:26

Ruroshin wrote:What do you think? Anything to add/remove/change?
I like it. :D

But I'd prefer unnumbered lists for Dramas and Movies because (1) the entries are in descending order and (2) the order isn't always correct for the entries within one year. So the numbers don't reflect the correct order anyway. Also the numbers may look as a part of the name for some ppl with rather bad eyesight, hehe.

...and for the drama pages, I saw some good ideas yesterday already, I suggest a credit section (devided in staff, cast, and optionally extended cast) and a detail section (episodes, tv station, broadcast period). The rest would be as it already is (synopsis, review, other resources/extern links). Should we settle to a common date format? I was a bit unsure which one to use. I usually prefer a sortable format like YYYY-MM-DD, but anything else is fine as long as you cannot mix up the month and the day. :mrgreen:

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Apr 5th, '05, 21:49

I too prefer YYYY-MM-DD since its the international standard.

For dramas, here's an example format http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Long_Vacation

Kai Lien
AiRen
AiRen

Post by Kai Lien » Apr 6th, '05, 03:02

Ruroshin wrote:I'm trying to come up with some sort of semi standard way we do the drama and artist entries.

Let start with the artist entry.

So far I suggest this format:

[[Image:an artist image]]

== Profile ==
'''a type''': value

*a hobbie or interest

== TV Series ==
#[[A series]] (year in descending order) 

== Movies ==
#A Movie (year)

== Awards ==
*An Award

== Other Resources ==
*Another resource

[[Category(s)]]

Under Personal Information you would have artist's name, birthday, blood type, height, weight etc
You can have many sub category of Personal Information, they would have three "="

and each point would be preceded by "*" to turn it into dot points.

For TV Series and Movies, each one would be preceded by a "#" so that it would be turned into a numbered list. The year of the series or movie can be placed in brackets after it. For TV Series each item must be inside a "[[" and "]]" so that the series can be internally linked.

Awards and Other Resources are dot point list so precede each item with a "*"

A couple of examples:
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Bae_Yong_Jun
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Vicki_Zhao_Wei

What do you think? Anything to add/remove/change?
Cool. This will come in handy. For the numbers, sometimes I don't know what movie or show goes in what order. I will try to find the dates.

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Apr 6th, '05, 03:17

ok for movies and dramas we will use "*" instead of "#" so it will create dot points instead of numbered list.

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Apr 7th, '05, 11:16

hey what do you think about putting the images on the right?

like this http://wiki.d-addicts.com/So_Ji_Sup

mt877

Post by mt877 » Apr 7th, '05, 12:17

I think it would be better to have the pic on the right and the profile immediately to the left of the pic. That way the pic
will line up directly under the actor name. Also moving the profile to the left of the pic will use some of the free space
that would otherwise be wasted. Not sure how to create the code to create a simple 2 section table for that purpose,
but I've been thinking about that format for a couple days now.

One other thing is with the pic on the right, the flow of the page is disrupted, because everything else is left justified
and your eye wants to read the page straight down. Putting the pic on the right forces you to look to the right for the pic,
but then back to the left for the rest of the data. Anyway just my feedback.

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Apr 7th, '05, 18:24

the right alignment of the frame is wiki standard. (It is probably defined in the skin you chose in your preferences.) You just add the frame option to get the border. And you can even add a caption text. IMHO, it looks better on the right. Less scrolling for me. :mrgreen:

the picture within text

[[Image:Artist.jpg]]
the picture in a frame (right aligned by default)

[[Image:Artist.jpg|frame]]
with an additional caption =)

[[Image:Artist.jpg|frame|some caption text]]

iceberri
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by iceberri » Apr 7th, '05, 23:16

Hmm I like the profile pic on the right hand side, but I think it looks kinda weird if you do that for the drama pictures (pics are wider generally).

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Apr 8th, '05, 00:47

iceberri wrote:Hmm I like the profile pic on the right hand side, but I think it looks kinda weird if you do that for the drama pictures (pics are wider generally).
hrm yeah true, perhaps for dramas wide pics can be placed on top and tall pics can be put on the side.

wide -> http://wiki.d-addicts.com/One_Percent_of_Anything
tall -> http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Love_Story_in_Harvard

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Apr 8th, '05, 01:16

true, i just saw it too. You should put only small pictures in those frames. There is also a "thumb" feature. Maybe you try it. It works like the "frame" option. I havent tried it on bigger pictures yet.

edit: IMO, many of the pictures are too big for a wiki. Both, filesize-wise and compression-wise. Do we really need images in photo quality. Some pictures can be easily reduced to the 5th of their size in photoshop for example. I mean those ones bigger than 100kB.

JadedAngel

Post by JadedAngel » Apr 11th, '05, 01:34

Ruroshin wrote: Yeah its growing nicely on the Korean side :lol come on where are the Chinese series addicts? You're being left behind by the Korean addicts :P
:lol Its a little skimpy on both the Japanese and Chinese sides. But I'm working on it trying to get them to catch up a little bit. I've put up info for Trick and hope to put up info for atleast 3 more series by Friday.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Apr 11th, '05, 08:08

great work, JadedAngel! :D

and don't forget, people. we have a WikiDrama Logo Competition going on!

Kai Lien
AiRen
AiRen

Post by Kai Lien » Apr 14th, '05, 01:05

I wanted to do add some dramas but I got really confused what category the drama is supposed to be in? Some unpopular dramas like with actors from all over the country, I have no idea where to put them... :blink And its not like you can find the info on a website or something. I will just it to the best of my knowledge or just put them in the c-drama (if its got a tw, hk, sg collabo thingy going on) section; unless someone has a better suggestion.

Also, there are two Madam White Snake topics. One is in the TW section the other in the SG section. Should it be in two sections or just 1?

I hope we can have discussions there. I really wanna talk about my favorite dramas! I dunno how to set that part up though...

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Apr 14th, '05, 01:09

Kai Lien wrote:I wanted to do add some dramas but I got really confused what category the drama is supposed to be in? Some unpopular dramas like with actors from all over the country, I have no idea where to put them... :blink And its not like you can find the info on a website or something. I will just it to the best of my knowledge or just put them in the c-drama (if its got a tw, hk, sg collabo thingy going on) section; unless someone has a better suggestion.

Also, there are two Madam White Snake topics. One is in the TW section the other in the SG section. Should it be in two sections or just 1?

I hope we can have discussions there. I really wanna talk about my favorite dramas! I dunno how to set that part up though...
You put the series depending on which country produced it. If its a collaboration then you can add them to however many categories you need too. A series can have many categories.

DarReNz
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by DarReNz » Apr 14th, '05, 01:10

probably could come up with a collabo drama in wiki and put those dramas in there .....

Kai Lien
AiRen
AiRen

Post by Kai Lien » Apr 14th, '05, 01:19

Ruroshin wrote: You put the series depending on which country produced it. If its a collaboration then you can add them to however many categories you need too. A series can have many categories.
I don't know which country produced it either. :O I can barely find a website on it.

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Apr 14th, '05, 01:36

Kai Lien wrote:
Ruroshin wrote: You put the series depending on which country produced it. If its a collaboration then you can add them to however many categories you need too. A series can have many categories.
I don't know which country produced it either. :O I can barely find a website on it.
well what is it?

If you don't know you can always add it to one that you THINK it is and anybody who actually knows can change it. Thats the beauty of wiki, people can correct you if you're wrong.

JadedAngel

Post by JadedAngel » Apr 14th, '05, 01:53

jholic wrote:great work, JadedAngel! :D
Thanks!

Question: While making up a few of the pages (namely Lavender and Marmalade Boy), I added theme song info, is that ok or does it matter? :idea:

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Apr 14th, '05, 02:03

JadedAngel wrote:
Thanks!

Question: While making up a few of the pages (namely Lavender and Marmalade Boy), I added theme song info, is that ok or does it matter? :idea:
The more information the better :-)

JadedAngel

Post by JadedAngel » Apr 14th, '05, 02:55

Ruroshin wrote:
JadedAngel wrote:
Thanks!

The more information the better :-)
Ok, good! I thought so, but I kept wondering if I was messing up any particular format......Like when I also signature/time stamp the synopsis I write up, I was wondering about that too.

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Apr 14th, '05, 03:34

You probably shouldn't signature any stuff in the content of the page, if you want you can add some comments in the dicussion tab of that page and stamp your signature there.

JadedAngel

Post by JadedAngel » Apr 14th, '05, 12:34

Ruroshin wrote:You probably shouldn't signature any stuff in the content of the page, if you want you can add some comments in the dicussion tab of that page and stamp your signature there.
Ok, I'll remove it....I just wasn't sure, since on a lot of the pages for the synopsis people cite the source of the info. But since the words are all mine I didn't know what to put so I cited myself... :lol

groink

Post by groink » May 21st, '05, 01:32

For those of you who like drama soundtracks or theme songs... I've added a OST category to the wiki. The OST category is listed along with the other categories (actor, actress, writer, producer, etc.) I've already created the categories for all the drama types.

I've already added four songs to the Japanese OST category, so please use them as examples on formatting and such. I'm right now including both the kana and romaji versions in the lyrics. One exception is Aoi Usagi, where I also added the English translation seeing it was already available. Don't stress yourself out trying to find the kana/romaji/translation... If you do find them, that's great. If not, the kana or romaji alone is just fine. Someone else can come along later and add to it.

Scans of the CDs and CD-singles are available all over the Internet. Google's image search tool is a great thing. Fortunately, I own all the OSTs I've posted so far, so I simply scanned the covers myself.

--- groink

xiaryx
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by xiaryx » May 21st, '05, 19:45

I have started to work on the Wikiboard and it is so cool :w00t:
I cant believe there isnt a page about Ryoko Hirosue...anyway, Gambalematsu!

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Regarding korean artist pages

Post by MoerkJ » Jun 15th, '05, 20:01

First I must say that I'm not familiar with the korean language at all. I have learned most things here during working on the wiki. The purpose of the following is to make the design of the wikipages a bit more aligned and less error-prone. Feel free to correct any errors or improve my ideas. I'm only thinking loud here. :wink:

The wiki editors who are working in the korean section have probably noticed a few difficulties in naming, linking, or finding some pages properly. The problem is that due to different Korean romanizations and spelling variants there is often no clear way to name wikipages of korean artists. This may lead to creation of redundant pages (can be fixed later, but double work isn't nice). Also finding artist pages through the wikisearch can be difficult when using a different spelling than on the wikipages.

Example: Choi Moon Suk is the same as Choi Mun Seok just different romanized. :sweat:

There are even more possible spelling variants when using dashes, lowercase lettering, and mixing of different romanizations. :sweat: :sweat:

I suggest the following naming conventions for wikipages of korean artists (and for links to those pages, hehe):
  • using McCune-Reischauer Romanization instead of Revised Korean Romanization: the latter one is the officially used romanization in Korea now. But the first one is more commonly used outside of Korea. Also many popular websites and most of our wikipages use already the McCune-Reischauer romanization. Those romanizations are not very hard to distingush, even for beginners.
  • no dashes in names: nothing wrong with using them but please not in wikipage names and links. Hint: a link can have an alternative appearance if you prefer the dashes (e.g. when writing [[Ha Ji Won|Ha Ji-won]] the link to the wikipage "Ha Ji Won" is displayed as "Ha Ji-won")
  • all names begin with capital letters: nothing wrong with lowercase name spelling, but... (see "dash"-rule above)
  • a complete artist profile should contain the name in hangul letters and in both romanizations. This is basically meant to improve the searching for artists names. It is very recommended to do a search before creating a new page to check if it already exists under a different name (romanization).
example profile wrote: Name: 최문숙 / Choi Moon Suk
Also credited as: Choi Mun-Seok
(more profile entries)
Ok, that's it. It would be nice to get some feedback from someone who is familiar with the korean language. Because this spelling problem is sometimes really annoying. Once a page is created it is not very nice to have to rename, move, redirect, or delete it just because of some quick thinking/editing.

ina

Post by ina » Jun 18th, '05, 05:47

I love to help and since I just got my DSL back after a move, I started to make a few new pages. Hope they are okay.

Someone named YT changed my unnumbered drama list into a numbered list. I thought we decided not to do that. I don't know if I should just change them back again.

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Jun 18th, '05, 13:42

It's always nice to have new editors. :D

You are right about the layout matter. I don't know why YT changed to an older layout. Btw, her forum name is Y_T. I guess she never read through this thread and perhaps she just copied the layout from some older page.

Y_T

Post by Y_T » Jun 18th, '05, 14:27

--------------
Last edited by Y_T on Aug 15th, '05, 19:35, edited 1 time in total.

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Jun 18th, '05, 15:55

Y_T wrote:Hehe... I've been upping a lot of stubs lately :P
Thought it would be easier for inexperienced editors to fill out the gaps.
so true... creating new pages requires often a bit more responsibility and experience than the later editing of existing pages. :mrgreen:
I really appreciate your efforts, perhaps a bit heavy on the images sometimes... but maybe it's just me. :mrgreen:

have fun...

ina

Post by ina » Jun 18th, '05, 16:07

regarding the numbered posts, I probably saw an older layout post and liked
it. At a glance you can see how many dramas, movies they've done.
Probably works best with those that have done alot of dramas as opposed to those
who only done a few... whatever you's prefer...
That is true, but in my opinion it gives a false sense of completeness and like it was said a few post earlier, it only makes sense if you also have them in the right order within a year too.

groink

Post by groink » Jun 19th, '05, 02:34

I'm seeing numbers being added to the artist listings I created as well. And it SUCKS! It makes absolutely no sense having the dramas numbered like that. If the numbers were in descending order, then it would look a bit better. If a person wants to know the number of dramas the artist has been in, he can easily count them with his finger!

Like it or not, I'm fixing all the ones I created!!!!

--- groink

Y_T

Post by Y_T » Jun 19th, '05, 02:47

Yikes, if I knew you created it, I wouldn't have touched it at all...

EWwww, gross, Clean my hands :pale:

Kai Lien
AiRen
AiRen

Post by Kai Lien » Jun 21st, '05, 10:35

How do you delete pages and pictures? I have uploaded a few pics that don't look that good so I decided to toss em and use new ones.

Say an actor has been in a Singapore, Korean, & Hong Kong drama do we list them as an actor for all the sections? :blink

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Jun 21st, '05, 14:16

Kai Lien wrote:How do you delete pages and pictures?
only Admins can delete stuff. That's why you should think twice (or even more) before uploading data or creating new pages. XD (Actually, nothing gets really deleted but moved to a "quarantaine" from where admins can undelete it again). Just upload a new picture and use that. Btw, unused images can be listed through the Special Pages List.
I will add a "Vote for Deletion" and a "Report Vandalism" service soon, similiar to that on wikipedia.
Kai Lien wrote:Say an actor has been in a Singapore, Korean, & Hong Kong drama do we list them as an actor for all the sections? :blink
yes, put him into the categories KActor, HKActor, SGActor :D

Kai Lien
AiRen
AiRen

Post by Kai Lien » Jun 27th, '05, 11:49

Thanks for the reply. I've encountered something new today. There is a k-drama that shares the exact same name as a c-drama. :blink I.E. [[Only You]]

Should we change the name of one of the dramas, like go by the romanization or what? :scratch:

guenny

Post by guenny » Jun 27th, '05, 12:27

The most simple solution would be to make a disambiguation page like wikipedia does. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Disambiguation. For example [[Only You (c-drama)]] and [[Only You (k-drama)]] with the disambiguation page [[Only You]] pointing to those two separate pages.

Kai Lien
AiRen
AiRen

Post by Kai Lien » Jun 27th, '05, 21:00

good idea! guess I should check out the wikipedia more often :sweat:

groink

Post by groink » Jul 3rd, '05, 04:53

Here's something very strange...

I noticed that each time I touch an artist entry, the Wiki software removes two blank lines from the bottom of the edited section. For example:

*[[Miracle World - 10th Anniversary]]
{1 blank line}
{2 blank line}
{3 blank line}
== Movies ==
*Whiteout (2000)
However, after editing, it comes out as:

*[[Miracle World - 10th Anniversary]]
{1 blank line}
== Movies ==
*Whiteout (2000)
Here's why: Usually, instead of using the "Edit" feature at the top of a page, I use the "Edit" feature for just the section of the page. Each section (Details, Cast, Links, etc.) has its own "Edit" feature. So when I use this, it removes all blank lines from the bottom. I use the "Edit" within the section so that it automatically fills in the section name in the comments, providing better documentation on the edit.

So for the person who keeps coming back and coming back again to add those two blank lines, this is why it's happening. The Wiki software itself is fighting the two blank lines. Others do the same thing I do, so in summary adding those two blank lines over and over again is basically fighting a battle that will never end. I'd just give up on adding those two blank lines and let it go.

--- groink