Unofficial Copy vs. Official Copy--What to Do?

Discuss about all aspect of KDramas on DVD and other commerical medium.
poetry_maven

Unofficial Copy vs. Official Copy--What to Do?

Post by poetry_maven » Jan 25th, '13, 02:34

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to write and ask anyone--if they would buy homemade dvds of dramas over official copies?

I wanted to buy the Taiwanese drama "In Time with You," but the only copy I could find with English subtitles is listed here.

See this link:

http://www.ioffer.com/i/in-time-with-yo ... -518331767

Please respond,

poetry_maven

gubule

Post by gubule » Jan 25th, '13, 03:36

Hi poetry_maven,

I do not understand why would someone buy a bootleg over official copies :scratch: ... Unless, you really cannot afford to buy the official ones and no fansubbed version is available.

In the case of this "homemade version of "In Time with You" I would say, based on the screenshots, that it is probably a re-encoded version of the rmvb files available on D-addicts combined with fanmade softsubs, maybe ViKi / Zenith Subs ?

At $27 it is really an impressive rip off :glare:

el_canuck

Post by el_canuck » Jan 25th, '13, 04:30

We live in an area of the US that has a large Hmong population, so I went and took a look what there was available at the Hmong Mall or flea market as they call it. There was everything in Korean Drama there. It all looked official with seals, but I know they are not official, not $20.00 for Coffee Prince or Secret Garden. The video quality is great but the subtitles are horrible though the Japanese Dramas had much better subtitles.
I bought Coffee Price on-line through MBC America and paid around $80-90.00 dollars, a big difference from the $20.00 at the flea market. Every once in a while I will buy JDrama because there is much that I do not see on D-Addicts but I stay away from KDrama.

I believe most of the bootleg dramas come from Taiwan, when in the Navy we were told that copyright laws are very weak, loose or non-existent there.

Hope this helps or kind of answers your question.

poetry_maven

Post by poetry_maven » Jan 25th, '13, 06:23

Hi gubule,

Thanks for the reply. I can afford some of the official versions. For example, I own the YA Entertainment versions of "City Hall," "My Lovely Sam-Soon," and "Tamra Island." However, all of the official versions of "In Time with You" don't seem to have English Subtitles. I checked both YesAsia.com and eBay.

I've noticed you have files here on D-addicts. :) However, I have NO idea how to download them...Each time I've tried, I can't seem to open the files. If you or someone could explain that to me---it would be a HUGE help. :)

Warm Regards,
poetry_maven

P.S. el cunuk..I'll post a new reply for your response. However, I wanted to thank you, in advance! :)

gubule

Post by gubule » Jan 25th, '13, 12:46

Hi,

If there are no official subbed versions, than fansubs ( http://fansub.d-addicts.com/ ) are your only hope.

None of the files « listed » on daddicts are actually hosted on this website. We use those small “links” ( torrents) to download & share the files on a network of computer and servers ( bitorrent ).

To do so we use a small software aka a "bittorent client" such as Utorrent > Utorrent main page

- Here is a short video explanation on how this works :
- Utorrent faq / guide : http://www.utorrent.com/help/guides

*** You may want to check Daddicts FAQfor more informations.

> Most files uploaded here are raw files but some are available with various subtitles either hardsubbed or softsubbed ( Subtititles index ).

Sometimes you will find those subtitles & files on other websites available in Direct download. For instance, in the case of in time with you subtitles : http://zenithsubs.wordpress.com/2011/11 ... -softsubs/ .

There is obviously no guaranty regarding the quality of those files & subs since its fan-made, but at least it is free. Most fansubs "productions" offer however better english / europeans subtitles than taiwan/HK/singapour's bootlegs. The cheapest dramas on ioffer are mosty copies of the fansubbed releases, nothing more.