[Discussion] Ashita no Kita Yoshio

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
auroragb

[Discussion] Ashita no Kita Yoshio

Post by auroragb » Jan 14th, '08, 16:52

I didn't see a thread for this in the first 3 pages of the jDrama forum, so I thought I should start one. Please merge if it already exists

Just watched a bunch of the first episodes for Winter 2008 season. This is the one that really caught my eye. Aside from the generous use of young flesh. The story is quite interesting.

This is based on a book Jiyuu Shikei. About a guy who's been mistreated by life and decided to end his life in 11 days. Although I think that this reminds me more of a movie where a guy was about to end his life but ends up meeting this gangster who shows him things life has to offer (anyone remember the title?)

I thought that this is an interesting parallel that we just had papa to musume no nanatokan and now we have the last 11 days of Yoshio.

jazky2002

ashita

Post by jazky2002 » Jan 15th, '08, 02:29

:roll
* Kohinata Fumiyo as Kita Yoshio
* Matsuda Ryuhei as Yashiro Heita
* Konishi Manami as Washizu Mizuho
* Kuriyama Chiaki as Hasegawa Rika
* Namase Katsuhisa as Sugimoto Masaru
* Kaname Jun as Moriwaki Daisuke
* Yoshitaka Yuriko as Yoimachi Shinobu
* Imai Masayuki as Minami Takao
* Iwamatsu Ryo as Ebata Eiji
Story: Yoshio Kita is a debt-laden man whose wife has left him. With his close friend's death anniversary only 11 days away, Yoshio chooses that date for his own death. However, a string of encounters and incidents makes those 11 days far from peaceful. But can those events save him from his death and show him how to live again?

I was anticipating this drama for the sake of this couple *_*

Episode one was unbelievably good and interesting... I'm looking forward to it, hopes the subber continue this project.
:wub:

auroragb

Post by auroragb » Jan 15th, '08, 05:45

Eh? I thought there were no e-subs for this series. I've watched the c-subs and it was awesome!

jazky2002

sub

Post by jazky2002 » Jan 15th, '08, 15:27

yeah, NBZK and furransu (did I get the name wrong?) subbed the first episode of this drama already, you can get the soft sub from ashita no kita yoshio ep 01 download thread. :wub:

GhstDreamer

Post by GhstDreamer » Jan 15th, '08, 15:56

quote from "nbkz" on the torrent page of ashita no kita yoshio:
Just to let you guys know, I only did this translation for pratical reason. I simply wanted to know how far I could go~ This was my first project, and probably my last for Ashita no Yoshio. Hopefully Querbeet Fansubs or other groups will pick up the project >___<
from what i understand, there will be no more english subs for this series. i checked the fansub wiki and no announcement has been made if Querbeet or other english subbing groups will be picking up this title. on the wiki, there is a french subtitling group picking it up " KnD na Sekai" (announced dec 27 2007).

it's quite unfortunate no english subbing group will be picking up this title. amongst the rampant idol dramas aired on television, this one showed potential and the only drama of this year that caught my eye (last year was a disaster but that's another story).

i'm excited to wait for the french subs so i can continue to watch this drama. at least then, i'd understand about 60-70% of it.

congrats and good luck to KnD na Sekai for choosing this project! :thumright:

and good luck to nbkz & furransu for their other two projects.

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » Jan 15th, '08, 16:08

i found a different translator for this, we will continue it~ so don't worry :)

WroW
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by WroW » Jan 15th, '08, 16:13

furransu wrote:i found a different translator for this, we will continue it~ so don't worry :)
Good job, thanks!...you have found lots of translators this season :D

ecstazy

Post by ecstazy » Jan 15th, '08, 16:18

Arigatou :cheers:

jazky2002

Post by jazky2002 » Jan 16th, '08, 00:02

OMG... I'm so glad you guys are still translating this... I probably only understand half the dram w/o any sub... yay!

GhstDreamer

Post by GhstDreamer » Jan 16th, '08, 00:08

furransu wrote:i found a different translator for this, we will continue it~ so don't worry :)
thanks so much! you've just made my night after a hard day at work. much appreciated! :thumright:

lenrasoon

Post by lenrasoon » Jan 16th, '08, 00:39

thank you for subbing this dorama!
i really enjoyed the first episode it looks promising^^

Rikayla

Post by Rikayla » Jan 16th, '08, 02:29

Yay! :D Thanks so much.

Episode 2 seems to add quite a bit to the plot. Ahhh~ I'm not sure if I like Ryuhei's character or not. Haha.

lzydata

Post by lzydata » Jan 16th, '08, 12:01

Ashita no, Kita Yoshio is one of the brighter spots in a generally poor season for me so far. Most of the credit has to go to Kohinata Fumiyo. He rarely gets big roles in dramas, but here he shows he can handle it very well indeed. So I'm glad to see that furransu has found someone to translate it. I considered doing it myself, if no one else is available :D

"The miraculous 11 days of the unluckiest man in the world": Call me a cynic, but the obvious reason why it's 11 days is that it fits the TV station's schedule (11 episodes). Heh.

Some comments and speculation (up to ep2):
The part where Sugimoto insists on using Japanese names for English shows - Nijuuyon for 24, Kumo-otoko for Spiderman etc. - was pretty funny. And I can't help thinking of him as Yabe from Trick.

Is it just me or does the "negative Yoshio" that pops up every night to terrorize Yoshio seem like some kind of split personality within him, like the Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde story? That may explain why he doesn't appear to have any bad memories of his first night, while Mizuho is having nightmares about it. Maybe not the most original resolution of this psychological thriller, but it works. That's how it looks for now.

Karawhite

Post by Karawhite » Jan 16th, '08, 12:51

I quite like the first episode. I downloaded it because i was bored but it turned out to be a nice little surprise. Considering that i don't really know the cast, i was thinking this would be a flop. But its a great. The actor who plays the suicidal main character is very good. He's great as a pushover with that soft voice and his wimpy way of saying things. Even the way he holds himself makes him look like a wuss but
when we are shown the nega version of him his acting is awesome. He's so convincing despite making me completely believe that he was a complete and utter wimp
So far the cast match their given roles and i like watching this thinking that they chose the right people for these roles instead of trying to squeeze some johnnys into them just for the sake of eye candy. I love eye candy but i prefer good solid acting for a series like this, where acting will make or break the show. Put the wrong actor in there and the whole atmosphere would be ruined.

raven_frost

Post by raven_frost » Jan 16th, '08, 13:45

lzydata wrote:"The miraculous 11 days of the unluckiest man in the world": Call me a cynic, but the obvious reason why it's 11 days is that it fits the TV station's schedule (11 episodes). Heh.
Haha yeah spot on!
lzydata wrote:Some comments and speculation (up to ep2):
Is it just me or does the "negative Yoshio" that pops up every night to terrorize Yoshio seem like some kind of split personality within him, like the Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde story? That may explain why he doesn't appear to have any bad memories of his first night, while Mizuho is having nightmares about it. Maybe not the most original resolution of this psychological thriller, but it works. That's how it looks for now.
I haven't seen Ep 2 but watching Ep 1, I was convinced that he had a split personality when the other Yoshio appeared. That explained Mizuho's comments about Yoshio when she was with the counsellor and also a "cryptic" line in introduction on the official website.

Rikayla

Post by Rikayla » Jan 16th, '08, 14:39

Karawhite wrote:So far the cast match their given roles and i like watching this thinking that they chose the right people for these roles instead of trying to squeeze some johnnys into them just for the sake of eye candy. I love eye candy but i prefer good solid acting for a series like this, where acting will make or break the show. Put the wrong actor in there and the whole atmosphere would be ruined.
Agreeeed. I don't think any of the Johnny's people would be able to pull off such a dramatic drama like this.

And Ryuhei Matsuda and Jun Kaname are good enough eye candy for me in this one. (Ryuhei especially. *O*)

TabooxNightmare

Post by TabooxNightmare » Jan 16th, '08, 19:05

This drama is SO good. I'm definitely happy I gave it a try.
I admit originally wanting to watch this for the sake of Kaname Jun, but Kohinata Fumiyo surprised me so much... I've seen him in a lot of doramas in the supporting cast, so I was plesantly surprised to see he could pull the elading role off so well.
I really like him, I think this drama is full of good actors and the story in my eyes is something unusual compared to the other stuff... we usually get.

The rating for the dorama could be better, though! :-(

Neji-sama

Post by Neji-sama » Jan 17th, '08, 12:07

As usual such good shows like this isn't popular in this forum.

This show rocks! Really funny and a very good story.

jazky2002

I agree

Post by jazky2002 » Jan 17th, '08, 15:39

:roll He did carry his role pretty well for a lead character and Ryuhei OMG, he's just sooo bad in this movie but also so cute, I've seen ep 2, it was quite mysterious....

i like Ryuhei and Chiaki together, they seem like a mysterious couple... its the one reason why I try this drama in the first place...
Attachments
I like this couple...*_*
I like this couple...*_*
PDVD_096.JPG (16.75 KiB) Viewed 5363 times

raven_frost

Post by raven_frost » Jan 20th, '08, 01:21

I really loved the part where Sugimoto
insists on giving Japanese names to English movies. And his rejoinders when Yoda tosses him some titles.

I'm wondering whether Yoshio really has a split personality or whether that alternate Yoshio is just an imaginary person he has conjured up. When Yoimachi Shinobu appeared in his room I was half expecting him to morph into the alternate Yoshio and pounce on her ... maybe that would have explained Mizuho's rather extreme reaction towards him.

In any case, did anyone notice that Mizuho's behaviour and speech changes whenever she's at her counselling session?

chokubi

Post by chokubi » Jan 21st, '08, 06:05

Wow I love this drama!
Totally didn't know what to expect, but it came out really good, especially episode 1.
I think the best parts of this show has to be the randomness and the surreal scenes.
And personally I love the jazz bgm (and omg jazz rendition of Gilbert O'Sullivan's Alone Again @ 38:38, ep1).
Also, Yoshitaka Yuriko for eye candy! XD

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » Jan 21st, '08, 16:51

I wasn't originally going to watch this, because the description on the drama wiki didn't appeal to me. After reading everybody's posts about the show itself, I realized it wasn't what I was expecting though and decided to give it a look.

I'm really glad I did, because this has become my favorite "serious" drama of the season. It's actually got quite a good sense of humor, while still dealing with serious subjects. The actors are excellent. (Kohinata Fumiyo is amazing here.) And the characters all seem to be something more or different than what they first appear, which is something I really love to see in dramas.
I really felt bad for his mother in episode 2, and I found it interesting how much Yoshio just doesn't get about her. At the same time, it's interesting to see the change in him after that first day. And not just him--Heita, Mizuho, Sugimoto... there's lots of character evolution and revelation going on.
The pacing so far seem really good, so I hope it continues like this.

auroragb

Post by auroragb » Jan 22nd, '08, 03:01

I think that the story is awesome so far. But the ratings are doing AWFUL! It went from 12% in the first wk to 8.7%. Making it the biggest wk to wk drop of this season. :(

I hope that this will not cause any desperation changes to the story that would ruin it

So, NO one knows the name of the movie I'm referring to?

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » Jan 22nd, '08, 03:38

auroragb wrote:I think that the story is awesome so far. But the ratings are doing AWFUL! It went from 12% in the first wk to 8.7%. Making it the biggest wk to wk drop of this season. :(

I hope that this will not cause any desperation changes to the story that would ruin it

So, NO one knows the name of the movie I'm referring to?
I noticed the ratings drop too. I was wondering if there was anything really popular on against it like some kind of sports special or something. I think the second episode was really quite good, and the promo for it didn't do it justice. That still doesn't seem like reason enough to justify that drop though. :scratch:

Desperation changes to the story would suck. It doesn't need them.
I'm really wondering about Mizuho, so I'm excited about him meeting her next week. She seems like such a strange character. She changes so completely from when she's working to when she's around her therapist. Her version of the relationship is completely different from Yoshio's. She's being investigated for the "suspicious" death of hubby two, from whom she's set to inherit big bucks. Yet the investigator could be setting her up for blackmail even if she's not guilty. It's all very mysterious when added together. So hopefully episode 3 will shed a little light on the enigma.

I've never seen the movie you were asking about, but if anyone comes up with the name it sounds like something I'd like to watch.

japysia

Post by japysia » Jan 22nd, '08, 04:30

ryoko11 wrote:
I noticed the ratings drop too. I was wondering if there was anything really popular on against it like some kind of sports special or something. I think the second episode was really quite good, and the promo for it didn't do it justice. That still doesn't seem like reason enough to justify that drop though. :scratch:
Binbou Danshi ep1 and Lincoln.

auroragb

Post by auroragb » Jan 23rd, '08, 04:24

Is there no end to the bad ratings news for this drama? Ep 3 dropped to 7.3. So, it's 12.7->8.0->7.3. I used to really have faith in ingenious j-dramas winning the day. But the past few seasons has shown that it's all about ikimen power :(

marienella_m

Post by marienella_m » Jan 23rd, '08, 23:56

for people interested on the ratings of the other shows in the same timeslot as Ashita no Kita Yoshio and Hachikuro:

Jan 22
火9
15.9% 21:00-21:54 TBS ズバリ言うわよ! www.tbs.co.jp/zubariiuwayo/
13.4% 21:00-21:54 EX__ ロンドンハーツ www.tv-asahi.co.jp/londonhearts/
12.9% 20:54-21:54 TX__ 開運!なんでも鑑定団 http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/kantei/
11.2% 21:00-21:54 NTV 週刊オリラジ経済白書 http://www.ntv.co.jp/oriradi/
*9.8% 21:00-21:54 CX* ハチミツとクローバー
*9.4% 21:00-22:00 NHK ニュースウオッチ9 www.nhk.or.jp/nw9/

火10
15.1% 21:54-23:10 EX__ 報道ステーション http://www.tv-asahi.co.jp/hst/
13.2% 22:00-22:54 NTV 火曜ドラマ・貧乏男子 ボンビーメン Binbo Danshi
11.2% 22:00-22:45 NHK プロフェッショナル・仕事の流儀 http://www.nhk.or.jp/professional/
11.2% 22:00-22:54 TBS リンカーン www.tbs.co.jp/lincoln05/
*7.7% 22:00-22:54 TX__ ガイアの夜明け http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/gaia/
*7.3% 22:00-22:54 CX* あしたの、喜多善男~世界一不運な男の、奇跡の11日間~

auroragb

Post by auroragb » Jan 24th, '08, 02:54

ratings for Jan 15th--> Jan 22nd in the same sequence as this wks for comparison
13.4% --> 15.1% 21:54-23:10 EX__ 報道ステーション
16.5% --> 13.2% 22:00-23:09 NTV [新]火曜ドラマ・貧乏男子 ボンビーメン
*8.6% --> 11.2% 22:00-23:00 NHK プロフェッショナル 仕事の流儀「坂東玉三郎スペシャル」
12.4% --> 11.2%22:00-22:54 TBS リンカーン
*8.4% --> 7.7% 22:00-22:54 TX__ ガイアの夜明け
*8.0% 22:00-22:54 CX* あしたの喜多善男~世界一不運な男の、奇跡の11日間~
------------
Basically, the docu-news shows increased whereas the dramas declines

kvertand

Post by kvertand » Jan 26th, '08, 15:10

Spoilers for ep 3
I don't believe what Mizuho says, I believe her reaction towards him comes from something more than "you're a nice guy and I hate nice guys". That wouldn't explain her irrational hatred or why she's still having dreams about him eleven years later.

I really think the root of her problems is GUILT. She doesn't loathe him, she loathes herself because of what she did to him. This is why she's so desperate to forget, why she begs him to go find another woman, why she's unable to accept that Kita hasn't moved on with his life.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's another revelation in store for us about their marriage, perhaps involving an extra-marital affair (with the dead president maybe) that left her so overcome with remorse that she needed to get away from him, not because she blames him but because she betrayed his good nature.

lzydata

Post by lzydata » Jan 27th, '08, 12:15

kvertand wrote:Spoilers for ep 3
I don't believe what Mizuho says, I believe her reaction towards him comes from something more than "you're a nice guy and I hate nice guys". That wouldn't explain her irrational hatred or why she's still having dreams about him eleven years later.

I really think the root of her problems is GUILT. She doesn't loathe him, she loathes herself because of what she did to him. This is why she's so desperate to forget, why she begs him to go find another woman, why she's unable to accept that Kita hasn't moved on with his life.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's another revelation in store for us about their marriage, perhaps involving an extra-marital affair (with the dead president maybe) that left her so overcome with remorse that she needed to get away from him, not because she blames him but because she betrayed his good nature.
My thoughts on ep1-3 too:
Yeah there are still so many unsolved mysteries revolving around Mizuho. The hint ep3 gives us is surely guilt, as what she was saying to her staff before fainting on seeing Kita Yoshio: It is at this crucial moment that all of us must conduct ourselves with fortitude. We must not waver no matter what happens. I ask you to firmly pledge that here. We have nothing to be guilty about. Absolutely nothing. Absolutely... (...Watashi-tachi ni wa, nanimo ushirometai koto wa arimasen. Issai arimasen. Issai...)

"Back when she was young and naive she married Kita Yoshio, but left him soon after because she felt herself undeserving and, frankly, she was too ambitious to be able to spend the rest of her life with a loserish guy like him. Even as she manipulated her way into this nice marriage, she had nothing to do with her husband's death, and now she's just trying to hold the company together. Yet the stress is overwhelming and that's why she breaks down when in therapy."

That's the simplest interpretation of what's been happening so far, right? But as to why she really married Kita Yoshio then left him, and what happened to her in the subsequent 11 years - as she says, 11 years is a long time... Hmm. It also leaves no room for my theory that Kita Yoshio has split personality disorder and "negative Yoshio" was the one who drove her away and is now driving Yoshio to suicide.

Oh well, I'm just trying to let the story unfold itself slowly, while enjoying the acting from Kohinata and Konishi. And the jazzy BGM.

By the way, what the heck is that Waycys slogan, non vêtements non ma vie? "Not clothing, not my life"??

kidmigz
Fansubber
Fansubber

Re: [Discussion] Ashita no Kita Yoshio

Post by kidmigz » Jan 28th, '08, 03:58

auroragb wrote:Although I think that this reminds me more of a movie where a guy was about to end his life but ends up meeting this gangster who shows him things life has to offer (anyone remember the title?)
There are probably quite a few of these, but the most recent one I can think of is GROW (directed by Hideo Sakaki).

blablabla

Post by blablabla » Jan 28th, '08, 04:13

reaction to spoiler
By the way, what the heck is that Waycys slogan, non vêtements non ma vie? "Not clothing, not my life"??[/quote]
like many many things in Japan, it doesn't make sense at all in french......your english translation is too... understandable :D

lzydata

Post by lzydata » Feb 5th, '08, 13:44

Eh? No reactions to ep4?
Well, OK, granted nothing much happened.

Besides Shinobu showing some thigh. :P

Neji-sama

Post by Neji-sama » Feb 5th, '08, 15:47

Hey, what is the ratings for this show?

auroragb

Post by auroragb » Feb 5th, '08, 18:05

lzydata wrote:Eh? No reactions to ep4?
Well, OK, granted nothing much happened.

Besides Shinobu showing some thigh. :P
Agreed on Shinobu :P
She is quite an interesting character.

I like how this episode is setting a lot of stuff in motion.

Still my fave this season

Ratings are back up to 8.2 for ep 4 (from 7.3) It remains to be seen if it has stabilized

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » Feb 5th, '08, 21:47

Glad to hear the ratings have come up a bit. Still deserves to be higher, but there are so many shows we could say that about. This one is still my fave too.

Shinobu was entertaining in this episode. She just skirts the border shy of being annoying for me, but remains safely inside likable.
I'd rather we had some of Daisuke or Heita's thigh, but oh well. LOL

Rika struck me as pretty interesting in this episode. Originally, she seemed like she'd be the one holding Heita back from harming Yoshio. Once again we get the character reversal, and she's the one upping the hit that Heita cancelled for being on the wrong day. Still trying to resist the lure of the shiny new raw on my desktop.... :whistling:

auroragb

Post by auroragb » Feb 6th, '08, 21:26

ep 5 ratings:5.2 :crazy: :crazy:
What's wrong with everyone? Don't they recognize a great drama when they see it? :x
This is the worst rating I've ever seen for a drama :(

marspeach

Post by marspeach » Feb 6th, '08, 21:51

auroragb wrote:ep 5 ratings:5.2 :crazy: :crazy:
What's wrong with everyone? Don't they recognize a great drama when they see it? :x
There have been worse (Kodoku no Kake, Regatta) but neither of those were as great as Ashita no Kita Yoshio!!! It's either my favorite or second favorite so far this season. Why aren't they watching it?

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » Feb 7th, '08, 00:56

marspeach wrote:
There have been worse (Kodoku no Kake, Regatta) but neither of those were as great as Ashita no Kita Yoshio!!! It's either my favorite or second favorite so far this season. Why aren't they watching it?
Kodoku no Kake didn't drop to 5.1 until episode 10 though. At episode 5 it was still 7.6%. I think KnK kinda changed focus from what viewers may have been initially tuning in for and had some pacing issues, though I enjoyed Ito in it. (Can't speak for Regatta, not having seen it.)

Ashita no Kita Yoshio hasn't disappointed me once, its twists have been interesting, and it seems perfectly on track for pacing. I just honestly can't understand the low ratings on this one. The acting is superb in this show too. Best performances this season! (Bara no nai Hanaya, Sasaki Fusai no Jingi Naki Tatakai, and Shikaotoko Awoniyoshi also have great performances coming out of them.)

TabooxNightmare

Post by TabooxNightmare » Feb 7th, '08, 11:34

I still think it's because of some competition in that time slot and, even though i don't know exactly about this... It's an adult drama that may have some questionable contents for Japanese viewers, the whole suicide issue and Shinobu/Yoshio, maybe they're uncomfortable with that, but as Is aid, I can't know for sure.

wapuro

Post by wapuro » Feb 10th, '08, 04:14

anyone know where i can find pic of Yoshitaka Yuriko (cast of Yoimachi Shinobu)
thx u

raven_frost

Post by raven_frost » Feb 10th, '08, 05:00

What is the significance of
Andrew Wyeth's Christina's World in Mizuho's marrying Yoshio? I didn't quite get it.

If Yoshio is such a nice guy, why was Mizuho having nightmares of him and reacting so strongly towards him? I'm suspecting that Mikami's death had something to do with it. And I'm wondering if Yoshio's character will change over the course of the next few episodes.

kidmigz
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by kidmigz » Feb 10th, '08, 09:19

I love the series, but it seems it's just too different from typical dramas, which probably turned off a lot of the Japanese viewers. It doesn't really follow any formulas, doesn't fall into a standard genre, doesn't have any real gimmicks, there are no "must-see" events in the episodes... and Kohinata obviously doesn't have the star power of other actors to bring in ratings.

All in all, it's a unique adventure focusing mainly on human psyches and emotions, with some semblance of a background mystery to help move the plot. In other words, it's a niche drama that most people are simply going to find confusing.

I just hope the staff continues with the original vision and doesn't resort to wrecking the show just for ratings.

hey9

Post by hey9 » Feb 12th, '08, 06:31

^Yeah, I think the combination of middle-aged pathetic guy + lack of a climax in most episodes turns people off. I also think the issue of suicide doesn't help, because the show does not seem to be going along the straight path of "he's going to find out that life is worth living."
In fact, it seems to be kind of the opposite, with him surrounded by people wanting to exploit his situation and not seeming to care that he wants to die. It's weird, none of the characters are particularly likeable, including Yoshio, but I still am really enjoying the drama.
To be honest, I had no idea this show was going to be centred on Yoshio, when I saw the promo pic on wiki I thought it was gonna be focused on Ryuhei and Chiaki. I didn't even notice Fumiyo in the background lol ^_^;

auroragb

Post by auroragb » Feb 12th, '08, 15:42

I just watched ep 5. I think that the subber schedules are impacted by Chinese New Year...

Yet another GREAT episode. I'm really enjoying this because there are lots of things happening and there are LOTS of subtle details I'm noticing each time. I'm really caring about whether or not Yoshio would or would not off himself at the end.
To be honest, I had no idea this show was going to be centred on Yoshio, when I saw the promo pic on wiki I thought it was gonna be focused on Ryuhei and Chiaki. I didn't even notice Fumiyo in the background lol ^_^;
I agree! I thought so too. But the drama is MUCH more interesting in this way.

jigenbakuda

Post by jigenbakuda » Feb 14th, '08, 00:46

Wow just watched the first episode, it was so good. The jazz towards the end was superb, and the vocalist was amazing! I think the story it teribly interesting. I'm sorry japanese don't feel the same. Plus it has chiaki.... oh how I swoon.

jazky2002

Post by jazky2002 » Feb 16th, '08, 17:31

Just saw episode 6....the climax is probably swinging in any time now... but its getting interesting.

Erdbeerbox

Post by Erdbeerbox » Feb 17th, '08, 16:06

This is by far the best show I've seen in a long time!
I love the soundtrack and the story but most of all do I love the cast. Unnecessary to mention that Matsuda Ryuuhei is freaking hot! :wub:

But what's with the poor ratings?!

Erdbeerbox

Post by Erdbeerbox » Feb 19th, '08, 20:59

I want episode 7. Now. :cry: I wish I could at least support them and watch it on tv...

Btw, is there a download link or anything for the ending song? It's so totally addictive.

auroragb

Post by auroragb » Feb 20th, '08, 15:23

Yoshio just can't catch a break. Ep 7 ratings were 6.0
This is probably why he wants to kill himself ;)

Erdbeerbox

Post by Erdbeerbox » Feb 20th, '08, 20:25

I really don't get this. It's such a good show. Suspenseful story, great soundtrack, flawless acting... Can the Japanese specators really be that dense about good stuff? I'm a little irritated that "some shows" get far better ratings even though they are just the same as many others before.

Referring to the most recent episode,
does it make you guys kind of sad, too? There were some nice new twists in this but I'm kind of disappointed with the new ending clip. It looks like Rika is one of the bad guys now. :( When Heita took out the knife I was like: Please make Rika come and stop him so he won't have to betray her or kill Yoshio. Aww... :alcoholic:
Edit:
After watching the new ending like 10 times it finally grew on me. Also I think Rika doesn't turn out to be that bad as she doesn't finish Yoshio off but instead even pushes him forward. I really like her (and Heita) which is why I'm happy she appears to remain one of the good guys after all. Well, I haven't watched the preview because I don't like the spoilers in it, so I could be completely wrong. I'm just hoping for her not to become all freaky or anything. Btw, isn't Kaname Jun so totally cool, too? It's the first time I've seen him fighting. Until today I only saw in him Nao's nerdy elder brother in 'Tatta hitotsu no koi'. :P Surprise, surprise...
Anyways, the second ending is just like the first one full of symbols which I really like. It's cool how the sky behind Minami changes from blue to a creepy grayish black when Yoshio passes him. I think it's also interesting how he passes Mizuho as if having a new goal. I LOVE the show! :wub:
Btw, anyone noticed what Sugimoto is reading? Lol

unclehock

Post by unclehock » Feb 24th, '08, 02:52

haha i like the way you've analysed even just the ending clip. it was such a pleasant surprise to see a new one! doesn't usually happen in jdoramas. i find the kung-fu scenes really pleasant, i have to admit.

i love this jdorama, i think it absolutely rocks, considering i've watch like 30+ dramas in my short addiction, and i still think it's darn good.
so why on earth does it have such horrible ratings!? :(

i HOPE and PRAY that it doesn't get shortened cos of that, though its not really possible since he MUST have 4 days left :p

Erdbeerbox

Post by Erdbeerbox » Feb 24th, '08, 03:38

Yay, finally a new post!! :clap:
unclehock wrote:i HOPE and PRAY that it doesn't get shortened cos of that, though its not really possible since he MUST have 4 days left :p
I don't think they will shorten it. Did something like this ever happen before? They even shot a new ending clip which means they put some more bucks than necessary into it, too. :mrgreen:

Btw. after watching all 7 episodes again I would find quite a couple of hints that lead to my first guess
that Rika's father could be Minami.
What do you guys think? It would be so drama-ish, too.

kvertand

Post by kvertand » Feb 24th, '08, 08:55

Here I thought this was going to be a simple drama :lol

The story is getting strange (in a good way). I can't re-watch all the eps right now so I'm going from memory here, but tell me if you think this is accurate *spoilers through ep 7*:
Minami was a psychologist that could suss out people's true characters very quickly. He has been released from his cushy university gig and his import business fails. He needs money...

He immediately recognizes Yoshio as a person that is susceptible to suggestion. He pretends to befriend Yoshio and plants the seeds of negative Yoshio (hypnosis? at least that's what I think they're getting at) to ensure that he will eventually kill himself.

Minami arranges a wedding between his lover (Mizuho) and Yoshio so that when he dies she will collect his life insurance as next of kin. Whether or not she knew the full extent of the plan beforehand isn't quite clear yet.

Minami apparently dies (at least, everyone thinks so) at which point Mizuho assumes that the plan is bust and leaves Yoshio. Minami remains in hiding from everyone, even his pawn Mizuho (why? The only explanation I can think of is that it was a plan to collect his own life insurance [via an intermediary] thus requiring that he change his identity).

Fast forward eleven years, Mizuho comes to control a successful business after the previous CEO mysteriously dies...His death is almost certainly connected to her whether she knows it or not (Minami working behind the scenes?). Meanwhile, negative Yoshio surfaces at last and convinces the real Yoshio to carry out the plan from eleven years ago. That brings us to episode one.

Question: Is Mizuho's shrink connected to Minami in any way? Or, more outlandishly, is possible that he IS Minami (after plastic surgery maybe)? I'm trying really hard to think of a reason to include this character at all, unless he has a bigger role than we're led to believe.

lzydata

Post by lzydata » Feb 24th, '08, 15:45

kvertand wrote:Here I thought this was going to be a simple drama :lol

The story is getting strange (in a good way). I can't re-watch all the eps right now so I'm going from memory here, but tell me if you think this is accurate *spoilers through ep 7*:
Minami was a psychologist that could suss out people's true characters very quickly. He has been released from his cushy university gig and his import business fails. He needs money...

He immediately recognizes Yoshio as a person that is susceptible to suggestion. He pretends to befriend Yoshio and plants the seeds of negative Yoshio (hypnosis? at least that's what I think they're getting at) to ensure that he will eventually kill himself.

Minami arranges a wedding between his lover (Mizuho) and Yoshio so that when he dies she will collect his life insurance as next of kin. Whether or not she knew the full extent of the plan beforehand isn't quite clear yet.

Minami apparently dies (at least, everyone thinks so) at which point Mizuho assumes that the plan is bust and leaves Yoshio. Minami remains in hiding from everyone, even his pawn Mizuho (why? The only explanation I can think of is that it was a plan to collect his own life insurance [via an intermediary] thus requiring that he change his identity).

Fast forward eleven years, Mizuho comes to control a successful business after the previous CEO mysteriously dies...His death is almost certainly connected to her whether she knows it or not (Minami working behind the scenes?). Meanwhile, negative Yoshio surfaces at last and convinces the real Yoshio to carry out the plan from eleven years ago. That brings us to episode one.

Question: Is Mizuho's shrink connected to Minami in any way? Or, more outlandishly, is possible that he IS Minami (after plastic surgery maybe)? I'm trying really hard to think of a reason to include this character at all, unless he has a bigger role than we're led to believe.
That's generally right, although I am quite confused too...
It's like, so now there's a life insurance scam between Heita, Rika and Yoshio AND another one between Minami, Mizuho and Yoshio? While the big baddie Minami appears to be interested in this theory of creating a negative anti-personality in someone for therapeutic purposes, what he really wants is to drive his patients to suicide? To collect insurance money... 11 years later?! I have to say, I wasn't half this confused a few episodes back.

ALSO, if all this isn't enough, what is the role of Mr. Pinky-biting Fetish in connecting Shinobu and Mizuho? Although I was quite surprised to see Hiraizumi Sei appear after they made fun of him in ep1.

jazky2002

Post by jazky2002 » Feb 24th, '08, 19:16

I have to say this drama is getting much suspenseful and turning into a psychological drama.

Erdbeerbox

Post by Erdbeerbox » Feb 25th, '08, 18:58

I dont know but plastic surgery sounds a little too drama-ish to me. :P Judging Mizuho's psychologist from the episode when, uhm... "Kaname Jun" bribed him I'd say he's not connected in any way to the main characters aside from being a reason to let us know that there is a weak side of Mizuho, too.

As for the rest, I pretty much agree. But that's mostly because it has been said in the 6th and 7th episode already...

I'm curious about the politician, too. What a weird character!
And I'm still convinced that Rika's father is Minami. It would be just so weird to have 2 similar stories in one and the same show without any connection whatsoever.

unclehock

Post by unclehock » Feb 25th, '08, 23:36

yeah they've actually stopped shows early. one that i can vividly recall would be horikita maki's "teppan shoujo akane" which did receive horrible ratings, and got cut one episode and ended at 9 eps.

but i suspect a show like "ashita no kita yoshio" shouldn't suffer the same fate given the type of show it is.

still love how every details matters in this show :)

Erdbeerbox

Post by Erdbeerbox » Feb 26th, '08, 08:27

unclehock wrote:yeah they've actually stopped shows early. one that i can vividly recall would be horikita maki's "teppan shoujo akane" which did receive horrible ratings, and got cut one episode and ended at 9 eps
but everyone says the show was really boring, too which Ashita no Kita Yoshi is definitely not. there's a certain romance drama in this season that I'd really like to get stopped though. :roll
unclehock wrote:still love how every details matters in this show
yeah, that's what I also like about "Nana", anime and manga. every single detail matters in some way. both Nana's mangaka and Ashita no Kita Yoshio's screenwriter must be brilliant! but Ashita no Kita's cinematography is also one of the main reasons why it's so great.

auroragb

Post by auroragb » Feb 27th, '08, 15:49

Ratings are 5.8 for ep 8. At this rate it's avg ratings will fall below the 4 sisters show and be the lowest of this season.

Basically, anything with less than a 10 avg ratings will not be able to get a award. because they are popularity contests (voted on by readers) and something with < 10 rating will not have enough watchers to give it a chance.

It's strange tho, is there such a large disconnect between foreign viewers who've seen this drama and the viewers in Japan?

lzydata

Post by lzydata » Feb 28th, '08, 14:54

Erdbeerbox wrote:but everyone says the show was really boring, too which Ashita no Kita Yoshi is definitely not. there's a certain romance drama in this season that I'd really like to get stopped though. :roll
Oh, come on, which one is it? :lol

Funny that auroragb mentioned 4-shimai Tanteidan. For a while I thought there's some connection between that drama and Kita Yoshio, what with Namase pulling double duty and then Muroi Shigeru coming in for ep7 (as Minami's old girlfriend/wife). Apparently not.

Although I am still following the 4 sisters, I can understand why that show is struggling. It may have plenty of eye candy, but for a suspense/mystery detective drama it has very little suspense or mystery. I don't really know why I'm still following it, actually.

hey9

Post by hey9 » Mar 1st, '08, 04:57

Did they change the end credits?
So I guess Kita has DID (dissociative identity disorder)? That would explain why Mizuho keeps freaking out at the psychiatrist's office when she starts talking about him if she was around his "bad" side a lot. I kind of like her, though, and I don't why. The only people I really dislike so far is the pinky-biter, Mizuho's assistant, and Minami.

Erdbeerbox

Post by Erdbeerbox » Mar 1st, '08, 11:27

@lzydata: Alright, but don't tell anyone. I think Bara no nai Hanaya really sucks. :fear: Soo predictable and corny, too.

@hey9: Why of all characters do you like the "pinky biter" and Minami? :crazy:
As for the DID:
They already explained when and why Yoshio became like this so I hardly doubt his personality disorder has anything to do with her leaving him. Besides, she got married to him only because Minami wanted her to do so in the first place. When she heard of the plane crash she left Yoshio (whom she never loved at all) right away.

TabooxNightmare

Post by TabooxNightmare » Mar 1st, '08, 14:58

Don't worry, Erdbeerbox, Bara no nai hanaya is quite predicatble (I just don't care xD), it's a fact. Also, yeah, pretty corny *lol*
I think Ashita no Kita Yoshio just got better and better with each episode.
Therew as something coming, but you couldn't quite tell, i would probably not have predicted this turn until the latest two or three episodes ago, but then again, the dramam is pretty unique. :-)

hey9

Post by hey9 » Mar 1st, '08, 16:15

Erdbeerbox wrote:@lzydata: Alright, but don't tell anyone. I think Bara no nai Hanaya really sucks. :fear: Soo predictable and corny, too.

@hey9: Why of all characters do you like the "pinky biter" and Minami? :crazy:
As for the DID:
They already explained when and why Yoshio became like this so I hardly doubt his personality disorder has anything to do with her leaving him. Besides, she got married to him only because Minami wanted her to do so in the first place. When she heard of the plane crash she left Yoshio (whom she never loved at all) right away.
I said I dislike the characters, not liked them lol that would be a little weird :lol

auroragb

Post by auroragb » Mar 6th, '08, 18:56

Ep 9, ratings 5.8.
sigh...
Barring major increase from the 4 sisters, it looks like Yoshio has a chance of staying out of last place
Honestly, this season's drama were better than they've been in the past couple of seasons. On the whole, they're the best they've been for 5-6 seasons (there are individually brilliant titles, but overall, dramas were weak) but the ratings have been horrible. This season has the most number of sub-10 ratings I've ever seen for a drama season. I think that they are being punished for having two lousy seasons...

chickenruns

Post by chickenruns » Mar 9th, '08, 22:48

it turns out scary.. Yoshio suffers from MPD. interesting but scary :crazy:
Last edited by chickenruns on Mar 10th, '08, 08:25, edited 1 time in total.

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » Mar 10th, '08, 01:14

@chickenruns

You really need to spoiler tag that. People who haven't seen it yet won't appreciate having that kind of info out in the open.
As far as the MPD goes, people have been discussing that probability from the first episode. Since we all seem to have been expecting it, the bigger surprise for me was the origin of it arising with Minami and his theory on how to create such a negative aspect in a person. In the initial episodes there was actually plenty of theory on how Mizuho may have been abused in some fashion by negative Yoshio, so the reality so far is much less scary than the conjecture was.

After seeing negative Yoshio take control of Yoshio's body briefly in front of Mizuho, I'm very curious about how much ability he has to do such things. Particularly, if he would have the power to take control if it looked like Yoshio wasn't going to commit suicide.

I'm wondering if Minami has planted some post hypnotic suggestions on Mizuho. She also seems quite impressionable... particularly in the flashback where Minami first describes the book as a "trigger" to her. Of course, I think it would take massive hypnotic influence for anyone to want Minami over Daisuke! LOL

Looks like Mizuho is being set up but good right now, in any case.

chickenruns

Post by chickenruns » Mar 10th, '08, 08:21

ok ryoko, but i think that people'd know it right away at ep1 just as my case.. i'm attacking ep 2, maybe i'll be thrilled

marienella_m

Post by marienella_m » Mar 13th, '08, 20:19

Erdbeerbox wrote:
Btw, is there a download link or anything for the ending song? It's so totally addictive.
the single was just released recently, so here it is:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=F2AQSI6T

kvertand

Post by kvertand » Mar 18th, '08, 15:01

finale spoilers
Am I the only one completely underwhelmed by the ending? Okay, we all knew he wasn't going to die but...I guess I just expected something a bit more clever after the amazing build-up. Then there are the loose ends (that may not actually be loose ends but they sure feel that way). No reunion between Kita and Shinobu? And what becomes of her? She just kind of disappears. Then Kita and Mizuho's final stare, they just...walk away?

One thing I didn't expect was Rika's decision at the end, and that's because it doesn't make any sense :glare: It seems like that was written in only to make the ending seem bittersweet. I realize this was based on a novel and have no idea how closely they followed the original story, maybe there was a better explanation for this in the book?

Shinobu's little soliloquy thing was probably the high point of the episode, just lovely. It's a shame we never see her again after :-(

It's possible I'm being over-critical here :P I mean, I'd still rate this show highly, I just can help thinking that it feels unfinished. Could have benefited a lot from an epilogue IMO.

hey9

Post by hey9 » Mar 21st, '08, 05:13

kvertand wrote:finale spoilers
Am I the only one completely underwhelmed by the ending? Okay, we all knew he wasn't going to die but...I guess I just expected something a bit more clever after the amazing build-up. Then there are the loose ends (that may not actually be loose ends but they sure feel that way). No reunion between Kita and Shinobu? And what becomes of her? She just kind of disappears. Then Kita and Mizuho's final stare, they just...walk away?

One thing I didn't expect was Rika's decision at the end, and that's because it doesn't make any sense :glare: It seems like that was written in only to make the ending seem bittersweet. I realize this was based on a novel and have no idea how closely they followed the original story, maybe there was a better explanation for this in the book?

Shinobu's little soliloquy thing was probably the high point of the episode, just lovely. It's a shame we never see her again after :-(

It's possible I'm being over-critical here :P I mean, I'd still rate this show highly, I just can help thinking that it feels unfinished. Could have benefited a lot from an epilogue IMO.
Spoilers for ending:
Yeah, I think there were a few things iffy about the final episode, but overall I loved it. I thought it stayed true to the series - no big highs, no big lows, but left me feeling satisfied. Some of the acting was a little too understated or not emotional enough, mainly Heita talking to Yoshio on the roof.

I was also wondering what happened to Shinobu. I wish it was a more popular series so the last episode would be an hour and a half and the loose ends could be tied up. I didn't think one hour was enough. I want more, dagnabbit!

As for Kita and Mizuho staring and then walking away from one another, I really liked it. I thought it was them acknowledging each other with no more animosity or regrets, and each letting the other move on.

Finally, with Rika, I think she broke up with Heita because they were enabling each other to do bad things, even though they weren't bad people. At first Heita was encouraging Rika about the scheme to get Kita's money, then later it was the other way around. That's how I saw it, anyways. They really did need to explain this though, the breakup seemed to come out of nowhere.
Seriously, I really want to read the book now lol. If someone finds an english translation, be sure to post links here :D

kvertand

Post by kvertand » Mar 21st, '08, 06:36

hey9
Yeah, when I watched the raw I misunderstood somewhat about them being kind of codependent in crime, haruspex's subs cleared it up nicely. It still seems very sudden though, probably the only really quirky thing about the whole episode :P

I guess I understand the Kita/Mizuho scene too but after that sort of epiphany she had just before with the shrink I expected some kind of confession or apology or something out of her.

docsnoek

Post by docsnoek » Mar 21st, '08, 12:14

I also felt cheated by not having Shinobu show up in the final scenes. Okay, I guess having her and Kita-san ride happily towards sunset would have been too much, but at least some scene with her... I hope we will get more of her in some drama in the future... something longer than "Konno-san to asobou" *g*

Rikayla

Post by Rikayla » Mar 21st, '08, 13:26

Mannnnnnn. When I picked up this drama to watch, I didn't think it would become my all-time favourite drama (Orange Days coming a close second), but it has done it. Serious kudos to the staff and actors who did a great job. I love the director. He did both "Death Note" movies fantastically, and this drama just as fantastic.

I'm terribly disappointed that this drama didn't get the ratings it deserves.
Like kvertand says, Shinobu's soliloquy near the middle was the high point of the episode. She did an amazing job saying that. When her voice started breaking, I actually started crying because there was so much emotion put in her voice. Gosh. <3

But like hey9 said, some parts of the episode lacked emotions, especially the part when Heita called Kita off the roof. I was majorly disappointed with Ryuhei's acting for that scene, but still love his character. <3

I too wish that this drama received an 1.5 hour finale to wrap up loose ends. I didn't like Shinobu at the beginning because she was so annoying with her whining and her using Kita but after the press conference she held, she won me over.

Was anyone a fan of the bikini-clad girls? I thought they were really amusing characters to watch! They added such a quirky touch to this drama.
Ah, great stuff. I'm tempted to buy the DVD set now.