Who's watching Filipino dramas?

Discuss about other asian culture here.
wangbu

Who's watching Filipino dramas?

Post by wangbu » Sep 18th, '07, 04:26

Hi!

Just curious, but are there anybody here fond of watching Filipino dramas, especially for the non-Filipinos out there?

If so, what Filipino dramas have you watched? For the "kababayans", which Fil drama do you like the most?

I'd like to know if there is any drama that many would like to watch, and if they don't come in with English subtitles, we may take it as a project for subbing at Noypi Fansubs for you guys.

Thanks.

nagashi

Post by nagashi » Sep 23rd, '07, 02:21

I'm not watching any, but this is only because I've never been recommended one. Is there a good one on d-addicts with english subs (hard or soft) that would be a good one to start on? I'd be very interested!

kandieloli

Post by kandieloli » Sep 23rd, '07, 02:26

i mostly only found Filipino movies..all very hilarious

meann

Post by meann » Sep 23rd, '07, 02:54

yea there are good filipino dramas....right now I'm watching YSABELLA starring Judy Ann Santos, we should start subbing series... :-),pinoy dramas are draggy, sometimes they take up to a year....but most episodes only last up to 20 mins..so..i don't think its that bad...and I think they've improved a lot in terms of story, or just the way its made...why don't we give it a try?...

GlamourGirl40

Post by GlamourGirl40 » Sep 23rd, '07, 02:57

I'm Filipino myself and I just moved from Philippines 2 years ago. I don't mean to be mean to my fellow kababayans but Filipino dramas are very cliche and long. Might as well make 24 episode original story dramas, don't you think? That's the reason why imports from other Asian countries such as Meteor Garden and Goong became popular in the Philippines.

swabeng_unggoy

I'm in...

Post by swabeng_unggoy » Sep 23rd, '07, 03:05

I agree about filipino dramas being long.. even longer than chinese dramas. But movies are ok to sub.. some are funny.. some dramatic.. some are quite ok. But yeah, I've been thinking of subbing filipino movies.. but not dramas lol.

wangbu

Post by wangbu » Sep 23rd, '07, 03:53

GlamourGirl40 wrote:I'm Filipino myself and I just moved from Philippines 2 years ago. I don't mean to be mean to my fellow kababayans but Filipino dramas are very cliche and long. Might as well make 24 episode original story dramas, don't you think? That's the reason why imports from other Asian countries such as Meteor Garden and Goong became popular in the Philippines.
Just want to let you know that the trend towards Filipino dramas has changed from what they were 2 years ago. While it is true that we have very long dramas until now, television networks have started making short teleseryes that usually air in the afternoons (usually they're part of a single program, but they have a different story at a time that runs every 1-2 months.). Also, the length of the series have reduced considerably, from 2-3 years as with our popular soap operas, to roughly 6-12 months, depending on the ratings. Well, still quite long if you ask me, but at least we get new varieties more often than in the past. :roll

wangbu

Re: I'm in...

Post by wangbu » Sep 23rd, '07, 03:54

swabeng_unggoy wrote:I agree about filipino dramas being long.. even longer than chinese dramas. But movies are ok to sub.. some are funny.. some dramatic.. some are quite ok. But yeah, I've been thinking of subbing filipino movies.. but not dramas lol.
I'd like to let you know that my team (Noypi Fansubs) are also subbing Filipino movies. Check our FansubWiki at: http://fansub.d-addicts.com/Noypi_Fansubs :wub:

wangbu

Post by wangbu » Sep 23rd, '07, 04:00

nagashi wrote:I'm not watching any, but this is only because I've never been recommended one. Is there a good one on d-addicts with english subs (hard or soft) that would be a good one to start on? I'd be very interested!
Right now we don't have one at D-Addicts... but to tell you the truth our team's (Noypi Fansubs) discussing on what Filipino drama to sub and upload here.

We are currently subbing one Filipino drama but because the raws are low quality, we are hesitant to upload them here. Check out MariMar at:

http://chinkymovies.blogspot.com/2007/0 ... rimar.html

However, we have only completed Episode 1. We're currently working on upto Episode 6 right now, and the series is currently airing (25 episodes aired as of this writing).

Another Filipino fansub group, Halo-halo fansubs, have also been subbing dramas way before us, check their site at:

http://halo-halo-fansubs.blogspot.com

They're currently subbing Ysabella, and some of the ABS-CBN shows.

GlamourGirl40

Post by GlamourGirl40 » Sep 23rd, '07, 04:29

Movies are a little better than dramas in my opinion. We have to step it up more though. I guess the dramas have improved since I moved cuz my mom works for a girl named Melissa Ricks in the Philippines who knows a lot about ABSCBN stuff. But it would be nice to come up with better storylines... Not saying it's all bad.

shuurei

Post by shuurei » Sep 23rd, '07, 20:45

I'm Filipino but I don't watch teleseryes. They're too taxing to watch and most of the times, the storylines are just recycled and with almost no ingenuity at all. Although I must say that the actors are really good (at least some, most of whom are from ABS-CBN), its just that the plots are either lame or a mere rehash.

goongluver16

Post by goongluver16 » Sep 23rd, '07, 21:02

ya i do i watch things like isabella(i know my spelling is wrong) that is still airing i also watch other ones but i dont know what it is called... :D

GlamourGirl40

Post by GlamourGirl40 » Sep 26th, '07, 11:30

shuurei wrote:I'm Filipino but I don't watch teleseryes. They're too taxing to watch and most of the times, the storylines are just recycled and with almost no ingenuity at all. Although I must say that the actors are really good (at least some, most of whom are from ABS-CBN), its just that the plots are either lame or a mere rehash.
I'm seriously agreeing with shuurei. A lot of Filipino actors are good and the only thing that's so bad about them is if they get to scandals (naturally), run for a government position with some of them not even being fluent in English, and of course, starring in a cliche-storyline TV show. But there are other Filipino shows aside from teleseryes (filipino dramas) that are very good. If Bubble Gang is still on, I would love to list that as an example. If we don't make good storylines for dramas in Philippines, we should just stick to redoing a drama (Mari Mar for example) or basing a story from a manga.

wangbu

Post by wangbu » Sep 26th, '07, 15:35

GlamourGirl40 wrote:
shuurei wrote:I'm Filipino but I don't watch teleseryes. They're too taxing to watch and most of the times, the storylines are just recycled and with almost no ingenuity at all. Although I must say that the actors are really good (at least some, most of whom are from ABS-CBN), its just that the plots are either lame or a mere rehash.
I'm seriously agreeing with shuurei. A lot of Filipino actors are good and the only thing that's so bad about them is if they get to scandals (naturally), run for a government position with some of them not even being fluent in English, and of course, starring in a cliche-storyline TV show. But there are other Filipino shows aside from teleseryes (filipino dramas) that are very good. If Bubble Gang is still on, I would love to list that as an example. If we don't make good storylines for dramas in Philippines, we should just stick to redoing a drama (Mari Mar for example) or basing a story from a manga.
Well, the trend nowadays with the networks, are they're adapting to old Filipino stories (Maging Sino Ka Man, Bakekang, Mga Mata ni Angelita, Sana Maulit Muli, etc.) or adapting foreign stories (Lupin, Marimar, etc.)

But they still have original story dramas. I think Impostora's really good. My home's receiving GMA channels (7, 11) only so I couldn't check on the ABS-CBN shows.

Bubble Gang's still alive and strong, at their 11th year. Still makes me laugh especially with their commercial spoofs. :mrgreen:

The networks are also having a trend with reality-based shows like Pinoy Big Brother, Starstruck, Star Circle Quest, etc. Sitcoms seem to have reduced considerably and are being replaced with these reality based shows and game shows. Even the noon time shows are slowly shifting from a plain variety show into game shows (ABS-CBN now only shows game shows at noon, while GMA's Eat Bulaga is having more game shows than everything else.)

I can say the big networks are trying to redefine the trend... so I guess they're responding to their audiences.

GlamourGirl40

Post by GlamourGirl40 » Sep 27th, '07, 04:51

I do think that the reality and game shows are good in the Philippines. Way better than sitcoms, I guess. NOTHiNG BEATS BUBBLE GANG though... But I think it's a nice idea dramas are adapting old Filipino stories.

eirammm

Post by eirammm » Sep 27th, '07, 05:16

Last edited by eirammm on Jan 15th, '22, 02:23, edited 1 time in total.

scadoodle624

Post by scadoodle624 » Sep 27th, '07, 05:39

I watch Ysabella and Pangarap ng Bituin from ABS but I also watch Impostora and Marimar from GMA. I usually don't watch filipino dramas because they're always the same but the ones I'm watching now are not that bad.

Kataastaasang

Post by Kataastaasang » Oct 7th, '07, 02:50

I'm also watching Ysabella and Pangarap ng Bituin, but I can't tell the difference between Filipino dramas and Mexican telenovelas...

blue_smurf

Post by blue_smurf » Oct 8th, '07, 03:36

Kataastaasang wrote:I'm also watching Ysabella and Pangarap ng Bituin, but I can't tell the difference between Filipino dramas and Mexican telenovelas...
XD both, I guess, are too long XD

0015_jaja_1500

Post by 0015_jaja_1500 » Oct 8th, '07, 03:53

we dont get GMA here in australia so i watch 'kapamilya' dramas.. not complaining heehee

i am reeally loving YSABELLA.. the andrew/albert twist was really good. I was so surprised when they killed andrew's character off the show last month..

There's a new one coming on tonight, princesa ng banyera.. not looking forward to it though.. i dont like actress.

John lloyd cruz me likes as well... cant wait for MSKM book 2.. heehee

diOdio

Post by diOdio » Oct 18th, '07, 23:10

i want to watch berks. i <3 heart evangelista. (well i used to at least)

its true that fil-dramas have improved, but there are too many twists in the storylines and feel unfocused. im hoping they learn more from the asian dramas that get really popular there.

kirastar

Post by kirastar » Oct 19th, '07, 09:15

I'm Filipina, but I honestly don't like watching local dramas here.

The stories are never really that interesting for me, and I only find a few actors/actresses part of them actually 'good' at acting.

charming_khalela

Post by charming_khalela » Dec 6th, '07, 23:50

I do watch Filipino drama occasionally. Like Pangarap na Bituin and the other Sarah Geronimo drama before.The storyline is quite ok and it is not that long unlike other Fil-dramas that are too dragging because they keep adding characters like Judy Ann Santos drama.
I think it will be better if they will shorten the time frame of the Fil-dramas
. It's just too long and improve the storyline coz it is just to predictable.
You watch the first episode and you already know what will be the ending so you rather not waste your time watching it. :-)

Jesikawabbit

Post by Jesikawabbit » Dec 15th, '07, 19:23

Maging Sino Ka Man is good.....

radee14

Post by radee14 » Jan 1st, '08, 16:40

i also do watch Filipino dramas but selected only because most of the dramas here are getting boring and yes the storyline is very predictable ...but right now the story of Ysabella is getting better and better. i also recommend Pangarap na bituin starring sarah geronimo and Maging sino ka man Book 1.

jessbeehappy

Post by jessbeehappy » Jan 22nd, '08, 02:19

i don't watch any cause there too long
but some are very good

i prefer movies tho
one that i recommend
is
"Magnifico"

is a nice and inspiring movie :D

mallorn

Post by mallorn » Feb 10th, '08, 15:28

Is anyone else interested in Lobo? Angel Locsin has a tendency to overact in her comedic scenes, IMO, but it's pretty good so far.

distortia

Post by distortia » Feb 11th, '08, 04:49

I'm watching Lobo! I first read about it in one of those gossip magazines that a relative gave to me... the lead male looked good and the plot seemed interesting. I don't speak a lick of Tagalog, but I watch it on Youtube with my friend and have her translate :D Generally, I don't watch Filipino dramas (no TFC) but I used to watch all those cheesy Filipino comedy movies as a kid.

Star-Bolt

Post by Star-Bolt » Feb 11th, '08, 20:00

Hi! Im interested in watch some filipino movies. Can you recomend me one and where can I find with eng subtitles?

I was reading that you consider filipino dramas very long. Then you must watch argentinian dramas. My God! Now I know what the word "Eternal" means! Hahaha =D

Just to be curious, the filipino drama "Marimar" is based on the mexican one protagonized by the singer Thalia? I liked that drama. Very funny but too much cliche too =P. I love Thalia =D

sosushi2

Post by sosushi2 » Feb 11th, '08, 20:10

I just watched the movie "One More Chance" and really loved it. I've never seen a filipino drama. Are there places to download them?

kawaiimomo

Post by kawaiimomo » Feb 11th, '08, 21:02

ya i also want to know if Marimar is a remake of the mexican one with Thalia? anyways i've never seen any flilpino dramas or movies! but i tried watching sana multi muli (or however it was called) and it looked good but there were no subs! does anyone know where i can watch filipino dramas with subs? o and how come most of the time they speak filipino but then they say english words? sorry i'm really knew to filipino cinema!! :|

ReiKen

Post by ReiKen » Feb 11th, '08, 22:32

kawaiimomo wrote:ya i also want to know if Marimar is a remake of the mexican one with Thalia? anyways i've never seen any flilpino dramas or movies! but i tried watching sana multi muli (or however it was called) and it looked good but there were no subs! does anyone know where i can watch filipino dramas with subs? o and how come most of the time they speak filipino but then they say english words? sorry i'm really knew to filipino cinema!! :|
I'm not sure if the 'Marimar' currently being shown in the Philippines is a remake of the Marimar with Thalia.

English is the second official language of the Philippines. Filipinos will often use an English word instead of the Filipino equivalent since I suppose it's much easier to say the english equivalent than an awkward filipino word. It's also called 'Taglish' or code-switching in official terms. Filipinos will often use the English or Filipino equivalent whichever comes to mind first.

Sometimes you might notice some English words that has been 'Filipinized'.

shopping (English) - 'Magshopping tayo!' (Filipino sentence)

microsoftExcelExcel

Post by microsoftExcelExcel » Feb 17th, '08, 04:09

Star-Bolt wrote:Hi! Im interested in watch some filipino movies. Can you recomend me one and where can I find with eng subtitles?

I was reading that you consider filipino dramas very long. Then you must watch argentinian dramas. My God! Now I know what the word "Eternal" means! Hahaha =D

Just to be curious, the filipino drama "Marimar" is based on the mexican one protagonized by the singer Thalia? I liked that drama. Very funny but too much cliche too =P. I love Thalia =D
Yes, I believe it is a remake of the original one. I know that the original Marimar was popular in the Philippines because I remember watching it when I was younger. Or maybe it was Rosalinda?? :unsure: i can't really remember, but i know telenovelas used to be popular (Rosalinda, Muneca Brava, etc..) in the Philippines. Anyway, here's some info on the remake of Marimar: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MariMar_%2 ... _series%29.

nelo

Post by nelo » Feb 17th, '08, 04:31

Sometimes :-)

btw

sosushi2
One More Chance is a great movie i like it too , well you should watch : Close to You
its the same lead actor and actress.

Star-Bolt
I suggest , MAGNIFICO its an award wining movie
available in Avistaz website

Star-Bolt

Post by Star-Bolt » Feb 17th, '08, 13:03

Thanks Nelo. Im currently downloading Magnifico.

About Marimar, it was one of a series of 3 novelas of Thalia. They have in common that all the main characters are called "Maria" thats why that series were called "Las 3 Marias". The novelas are:

1) Marimar <-- The best for me. And the most funny because of the talking dog ^^u
2) Maria la del Barrio (Maria from the Downtown) <-- it was good at the begining but in my opinion, Maria become more evilish at the end -_-
3) Maria Mercedes <-- I didnt watch it. I started but it was very much cliche in my opinion

Thalia is a great singer. I really like her songs. Here are some links if you want to know her:

A quien le importa
Entre el Mar y una Estrella
Arrasando
Por Amor
Piel Morena <-- I think this is her first clip

About Mexican Marimar:
Opening
Marimar First Episode <Part1> <Part2> <Part3>

It has about 70 episodes.

katxx

Post by katxx » Feb 26th, '08, 11:43

MAGING SINO KA MAN FTW !

=D

Yorokobi

Post by Yorokobi » Feb 28th, '08, 02:31

what are philipino movies and dramas like? ive never seen any

mittens

Post by mittens » Mar 5th, '08, 15:13

Yorokobi wrote:what are philipino movies and dramas like? ive never seen any
the movies are more fun to watch than the dramas..
Most famous Filipino movies are mostly the romantic ones. But there are also a lot of good movies which talks about family and social issues. Also, the horror movies are ok but not all..

The thing about the dramas is that more often, they seem to be really long and draggy, most of the time it's about love and their families or friend and the enemy.

For starters, I recommend these:

for films: (romance)
1. Kailangan kita
2. a love story
3. Milan
4. All of my life
5. one more chance
6. Got to believe ( i almost forgot this.)

for dramas:
1. Lobo (its currently airing now)- and its really good..
2. Majika
3. maging sino ka man 1 and 2

for old dramas:
1. pangako sa yo
2. sana'y wala nang wakas
3. pangarap na bituin

I'm Filipino by the way.. and i'm not really addicted to our dramas here but some of them are good though and they've been improving a lot through the years. Just stay away from the really long ones bec. most of them were extended out of TV ratings and not sticking to their original plan.. but for those who haven't tried just try watching it.. i suggest u should start watching the movies first so that you will have an idea of what the culture is about and also expect that from the dramas. :D
Last edited by mittens on Mar 6th, '08, 15:13, edited 1 time in total.

Yorokobi

Post by Yorokobi » Mar 6th, '08, 00:40

mittens wrote:
Most famous Filipino movies are mostly the romantic ones. But there are also a lot of good movies which talks about family and social issues. Also, the horror movies are ok but not all..

The thing about the dramas is that more often, they seem to be really long and draggy, most of the time it's about love and their families or friend and the enemy.

1. Kailangan kita
2. a love story
3. Milan
4. All of my life
5. one more chance

for dramas:
2. Majika

for old dramas:
1. pangako sa yo
3. pangarap na bituin

I'm Filipino by the way.. and i'm not really addicted to our dramas here but some of them are good though and they've been improving a lot through the years. Just stay away from the really long ones bec. most of them were extended out of TV ratings and not sticking to their original plan.. but for those who haven't tried just try watching it.. i suggest u should start watching the movies first so that you will have an idea of what the culture is about and also expect that from the dramas. :D
Thanks for the information
i'll try and watch some as soon as I can.
Do you know where I can find some of those movies?

tarumpaw

Post by tarumpaw » Mar 6th, '08, 01:18

Most of GMA's series are fantasy/comic book hero stuff. So I am straying a bit from them. Right now I'm currently watching Lobo its quite good imho. I used to be a fan Maging Sino Ka Man, however the second book has too many characters it is just hard to follow.

Thats another thing about Filipino dramas, they want to promote younger actors/love teams, sometimes those characters are not necessarily needed. Still just because they are "up and coming" they get an episode's worth of air time.

nelo

Post by nelo » Mar 6th, '08, 12:39

i think ' Sana Maulit Muli ' of ABS-CBN2 is currently airing at Taiwan :D

its a nice drama :D

mittens

Post by mittens » Mar 6th, '08, 14:39

really in taiwan? i think sana maulit muli is of the same story as of the movie "if only" starring jennifer love.. :-)
Last edited by mittens on Mar 6th, '08, 14:46, edited 1 time in total.

mittens

Post by mittens » Mar 6th, '08, 14:41

Yorokobi wrote:
mittens wrote:

1. Kailangan kita
2. a love story
3. Milan
4. All of my life
5. one more chance

for dramas:
2. Majika

for old dramas:
1. pangako sa yo
3. pangarap na bituin

Thanks for the information
i'll try and watch some as soon as I can.
Do you know where I can find some of those movies?
I'm not sure but i think i saw some of them in crunchyroll. just try looking for it there.
:D

sosushi2

Pinoy

Post by sosushi2 » Mar 6th, '08, 15:47

I just watched "Paano Kita Iibigin" (movie) and thought it was really good. A love story with some humor sprinkled in here and there.

Anyone know of any reasonably priced place to purchase the movies or dramas with English Subtitles?

peppertrapped

Post by peppertrapped » Mar 8th, '08, 07:28

nelo wrote:i think ' Sana Maulit Muli ' of ABS-CBN2 is currently airing at Taiwan :D

That's nice to hear... It's great that Filipino dramas are now being seen by other countries, I hope they could see more (hopefully they get to see the good ones though, I'm just afraid that we're still not at par with the other Asian countries in terms of sustaining a particular storyline... we're quite known for extending the storylines if the show gets great ratings)...

Have you heard of any other Fil dramas being aired in other asian countries?

mittens

Post by mittens » Mar 8th, '08, 14:30

peppertrapped wrote:
nelo wrote:i think ' Sana Maulit Muli ' of ABS-CBN2 is currently airing at Taiwan :D

That's nice to hear... It's great that Filipino dramas are now being seen by other countries, I hope they could see more (hopefully they get to see the good ones though, I'm just afraid that we're still not at par with the other Asian countries in terms of sustaining a particular storyline... we're quite known for extending the storylines if the show gets great ratings)...

just i know "pangako sa yo was shown in malaysia i think or was it in indonesia i'm not sure but i saw it on TV.

cloudNINE.

Post by cloudNINE. » Mar 9th, '08, 19:14

I haven't seen any dramas yet, but I have a friend who has Walang Kapalit with Piolo and Claudine...so I think that'll be the first one I'll see. I've just got to borrow it from her lol.

I've seen a lot of Filipino movies though, mostly romances and romantic comedies. I've got maybe ten or so on DVD.

I'm Jamaican btw, so I'm kind of limited to what I can watch since I have to make sure they have English subs. :D

Star-Bolt

Post by Star-Bolt » Mar 16th, '08, 19:07

Ive been recomended to watch the filipino telenovela "Lobo". Do you know if this telenovela is english (or better spanish) subbed? Can someone make me a brief summary of this drama? Thanks a lot =)

nelo

Post by nelo » Mar 27th, '08, 13:23

peppertrapped wrote:

I think Pangako sa 'Yo (The Promise) became hit at Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, Cambodia, Namibia and Singapore. And unti nowl it was currently aired at some western part country.

I dunno else what other Fil-Series are currently airing. But one thing i know
Filipino Movies are gaining awards and recognition.
I preferred watching Movie than the series. :)

About the extending of the series, thats true.

have u heard the Marimar(fil-ver) it was 8 months long
there's a lot of HUGE changes from the original Marimar series just to grab the ratings.

Star-Bolt wrote:Ive been recomended to watch the filipino telenovela "Lobo". Do you know if this telenovela is english (or better spanish) subbed? Can someone make me a brief summary of this drama? Thanks a lot =)
How about this? i got it in some blog site :)

The hit show of ABS-CBN, “Lobo” starring Piolo Pascual (Noah) and Angel Locsin (Lyka), has created a lot of fans both in the Philippines and other countries where the ABS-CBN network channel is offered.

It’s a love story between two childhood friends Noah and Lyka, whose lives intersect again after being separated by tragic events. Lyka is descended from a mystical clan, who can transform themselves into wolves. Noah’s family hunted them for generations

What i knew is this LOBO series is airing at DUBAI right now.
Ive never heard yet about the english subbing. :)

@cloudNINE
have you watched the "One More Chance" its a nice movie
hope u watched it online , it was subbed in English :)

herbski

Post by herbski » Apr 16th, '08, 07:41

I usually don't watch Filipino teleseryes but I'm currently watching Lobo. I didn't like the remake of MariMar. Having watched the original starring Thalia in 1997, I found it too long with too many twists that were aimed to satisfy its lower-level target market, although it was a big hit for GMA 7.

I'm thinking of buying the DVDs of Lobo when they release it after the series ends. I may post them here, if it's allowed.

nelo

Post by nelo » Apr 16th, '08, 11:21

herbski wrote:I usually don't watch Filipino teleseryes but I'm currently watching Lobo. I didn't like the remake of MariMar. Having watched the original starring Thalia in 1997, I found it too long with too many twists that were aimed to satisfy its lower-level target market, although it was a big hit for GMA 7.

I'm thinking of buying the DVDs of Lobo when they release it after the series ends. I may post them here, if it's allowed.

i agree with you herbski, there TOO MANY twist on filipino-version marimar and too far from the original Marimar of mexico.

i think i saw some torrent file of Fil-Marimar here maybe Lobo will allowed too.

kat178

Post by kat178 » Apr 24th, '08, 10:09

hi there, can anyone help me..any sites for download of Philippine dramas?

nelo

Post by nelo » Apr 24th, '08, 13:12

kat178 wrote:hi there, can anyone help me..any sites for download of Philippine dramas?
i dont know where to find the dramas but if you like to DL the movie of Philippines

just look at the www.avistaz.com

peppertrapped

Post by peppertrapped » May 4th, '08, 10:35

I think the teleserye "Sana Maulit Muli" starring Kim Chiu and Gerald Andersen is being shown in Taiwan. I think they renamed the show "Chances"

enella09

Post by enella09 » May 19th, '08, 20:30

^ That KimXGerald teleserye was shown in vietnam, taiwan and cambodia according to the commercial in ABS..
I'm only watching Maligno, coz it's not scary at all, I'm just interested with the flow of the story and then caharacters growth

mitch16

Post by mitch16 » Jun 7th, '08, 15:58

i enjoy watchin lobo...its gettin better...

mallorn

Post by mallorn » Jul 6th, '08, 12:52

Lobo is currently being hardsubbed in English by Halo Halo Fansubs; the torrents can be found here. Just search for 'Lycanthrope'. :) Here's the link to the subtitle thread: http://www.d-addicts.com/forums/viewtop ... 33#1009433

kamiya

Post by kamiya » Jul 8th, '08, 07:35

crunchyroll.com is offering the hardsubs by HaloHalo Fansubs too. ^^

ackirom

Post by ackirom » Jul 10th, '08, 11:08

i do!!! Or at least, I'd like to watch more!!! I just started watching one called Marimar? It was funny!!! :lol cuz I haven't watched filipino shows in ages! So hearing it for the first time was hilarious.

So like eww, what's up w/that guy--he's cute, but he needs to cover up his chest cuz :crazy: it's like disgusting to look at. Napaka low-cut pa naman ng sando nya :glare:

It's so refreshing to watch dramas where I don't have to read subs :cheers: and Marimar was really low qual--like under 50mb!! so I didn't even notice it was dubbed from mexican spanish 'til the end. It just shows that Filipinos are the best at dubbing :P or I need to start wearing glasses, haha. I got the first 5 and I thought the 1st ep was slow. She kept repeating the same lines over and over and I was abt to delete all 5 eps when--it ended. Man, 30 minutes! not even. It was so short! If my dad hadn't made me get the pacman vs diaz fight, i might never have discovered Marimar :D

billiesm

IISA PA LAMANG feat. Gabby Concepcion and Claudine Barretto

Post by billiesm » Jul 11th, '08, 05:03

IISA PA LAMANG, Mr. Gabby Concepcion's most-awaited comeback teleserye premieres on July 14, Monday, 8pm (Manila time)

Register and watch the pilot episode for FREE!
Just go to www.abs-cbnnow.com[/list][/code]

xohhbiteme

Post by xohhbiteme » Jul 18th, '08, 22:16

Hmm, are there any Filipino dramas out there that are ORIGINAL? The ones that aren't Spanish-influenced, or remakes of Korean dramas. Because I'd like to see how a REAL Filipino drama is like :[[ It's like we're losing our culture, it makes me sad.

ackirom

Post by ackirom » Jul 21st, '08, 07:29

xohhbiteme wrote:Hmm, are there any Filipino dramas out there that are ORIGINAL? The ones that aren't Spanish-influenced, or remakes of Korean dramas. Because I'd like to see how a REAL Filipino drama is like :[[ It's like we're losing our culture, it makes me sad.
Maybe... Flor de Luna? Or something like that... I just remember the name Luna...

blackborne

Post by blackborne » Jul 22nd, '08, 13:20

Some of my beefs with Filipino dramas are:

1. Technical executions are minimal. Most of the camera shots are generic (long, medium, close-up). The cameras' placements are almost the same. The camera techniques are so minimal, you can actually jot them down in your palm. But it's so few that you won't even bother doing so.

2. Almost every drama has the lead characters romantically involved, just so they could bank on the concept of "love-team". If there is/was a Filipino drama that didn't have an element of romance, please let me know.

3. Generic lines. The antagonist will always have the line "Pahihirapan ko si _____" / "I will make ____ suffer". Why? Because "suffering" is worse than "dying". Like that antagonistic philosophical concept wasn't beaten so many times before. Or there'd be the character that would have to cry whenever she'd say "I love you".

*Also, they deliver lines like they're in a high schooler's drama: with long pauses in between lines. Sometimes the delivery pace are inconsistent/non-successive as to what the situation suggests.

**Another thing I observed when they deliver lines is that most of the times they conjure the acting emotions within the delivery. When they have no lines to deliver, they tend to hang the impression of the previous emotion up until the next delivery with a new suggested emotion. If there was none, then they'll be staring at the great beyond.

4. The extras. Most of them have no acting capabilities. It'd be obvious when they sound like they're just reading off a cue card. Though, at times, the same can be said about some of the pro actors.

One thing I remember about the Filipino Marimar though is that when the female antagonist was put in prison, she had make-up on. That was a bit awkward for me.

Oh, and can someone clarify this for me: Do rich people really wear gowns/dresses/formals, jewelries and make-ups inside their house even without the intention of going out?

ichi212

Post by ichi212 » Jul 31st, '08, 19:48

xohhbiteme wrote:Hmm, are there any Filipino dramas out there that are ORIGINAL? The ones that aren't Spanish-influenced, or remakes of Korean dramas. Because I'd like to see how a REAL Filipino drama is like :[[ It's like we're losing our culture, it makes me sad.
I personally enjoyed LOBO. Just finished airing about three weeks ago.

core2quadcore

Post by core2quadcore » Oct 18th, '08, 15:46

i don't have anything against my fellow Filipinos...but for me, those teledramas/teleserye's are all crappy (sorry if its offending to you, please dont flame me). Eversince, I haven't watched a single local teledramas ( I'm really not fond of watching them). Thanks to them I have a very good reason not to watch television anymore during afternoon and primetime which most of them are aired...I'd be happy if television networks air those primetime teleserye/drama on a late night timeslot and replaced their slots with those informative documentary programs like I Witness...But some of our local movies are good and quite ok, which are worth watching :-)

please don't flame me

kittykhatz20

Post by kittykhatz20 » Oct 18th, '08, 16:37

I'm pinoy but sadly I'm not very fond of filipino drama's because they can drag you to the next millenium and still not be finished... okay so maybe that's just an exaggeration but yah they're just a bit too draggy... It's like taking a story line that could probably be good for an episode or two and make it run for a couple of weeks... all though I've heard of some improvements because I do live in a house hold where my titas and grandma would watch those shows from their preferred networks of course and I would get a glimpse of them. I've seen a few episodes but they weren't that compelling enough for me to continue watching... I think the challenge here is to have better story lines... and not to make the stories too long... if the story line is too good then make a second season of it... and not drag the story line till it hurts the viewers from the stories lack of substance...

It's so true that documentaries and gag shows are a lot fun to watch...

I do hope we'll have better dramas and TV series in general.... I mean the remakes are okay but is that all we're good at? I've seen a few episodes of Lobo for example... I guess they would claim it's an all original concept but it sort of strikes me as something based on the Korean drama Forbidden Love without openly admitting it... but that could just be me... do accept my apologies for those who like watching fil dramas.. i'm just merely stating my opinion... i do hope that I would stumble upon a good drama that I could suggest to you guys one day.... oh wait I've seen some episode of Kim Sam Soon the fil remake... it was more of a comedy thing though.... slightly different from what happened in the Korean one... i wasn't able to see the whole thing though but I have to say it was funny... but not entirely an all Filipino concept....

chaz25

Post by chaz25 » Oct 20th, '08, 21:40

I agree that filipno dramas tend to be dragged till eternity for rating's sake... but that was before. Nowadays, the longest period a drama would run is 8months, with 3-6months usual time frame.

The best filipino drama I've seen is Kung Mawawala Ka. Though it run for a year (April 2002-July 2003), you wouldn't feel that it was dragged, because of excellent story telling and superb acting. Amongst the newer dramas, I prefer Impostora (though some scenes and the story line is quite improbable) and the heartbreaking Bakekang.

Kay Tagal Kang Hinintay is also good, though the first part was kind of a rip-off of the Televisa telenovela La Usurpadora. The second book, though, took a form of it's own, reaching a poignant climax and ending.

Sadly, I cant say the same with Pangako Sa'yo, with a story that is a run-off the mill.

I love Sa Sandaling Kailangan Mo Ako, because of superb acting, smooth story telling and it is fast paced. Thanks to the "1 1/2 hour a week" episodes that run for only 4 months (both book 1 and 2)...

Among the so called "fantaseryes or telefantasya", the only one I really enjoyed watching is Encantadia, due to it's wonderful story line and superb acting from the actors. Though it boasts of a multi-million peso budget, Im not quite happy with the effects, but the set and costumes are really good.

Ako si Kim Sam Soon had me rolling on the floor laughing. The only thing I did not like is too much revision on the story.

Now, Lalola is currently making waves. I just hope they maintain the main storyline and do not go too far.

ananda_everingham

fdramas

Post by ananda_everingham » Oct 31st, '08, 14:01

im half thai and half filipino but i am living here in the philippines so im more exposed to the filipino cultures

im watching filipino dramas, or teleseryes

ill just give you an overview of the 2 major stations in the philippines--GMA and ABS-CBN
these two are rival networks competing for the viewership and ratings. so they are the ones who control the philippines entertainment industry.

according to media studies here in the Philippines, GMA gets the lower level market, class DE so theyre more on producing Fantasy genres and stupid remakes. their curretn lineup for the primetime dramas are 100% remakes, franchise and import
while their rival network ABS-CBN gets the affluent markets of ABC, thats why they always do their usual dramas.

here are some filipino dramas i recommend
theyre the one who usually deviate from the stereotyped filipino dramas

1. Lobo
2. Maging SIno Ka Man
3. Bituing Walang Ningning --remake
4. My Girl - Pinoy Version
5. Maria Flordeluna - pinoy old style drama, but really really good. depressing ending.
6. Betty La fea

-------
for the movies
you should check out the recent blockbuster movies and the independent movies

1. One More Chance - last years top grosser
2. A Very Special Love - this years top grosser
3. Got To Believe
4. Nassan Ka Man
5. Kailangan Kita
6. Milan
7. Magnifico
8. Pagdadalaga ni Maximo Oliveros

--------
for the actors, John Lloyd Cruz is the most bankable, for being the box office king and the best actor

rhianne

Post by rhianne » Nov 4th, '08, 06:12

.,`mE.. im watchiNG kaPusO. DRamAs..! hOw ABoUT YoU GuYs?

natureboy

Post by natureboy » Nov 6th, '08, 02:00

my family here is watching kapamilya dramas, but (no offense) there are crappy dramas, but not all are. also one thing, the movies they make in are actually good hehe as recommended by ananda

fjnoheart

Re: Who's watching Filipino dramas?

Post by fjnoheart » Jan 28th, '09, 07:59

wangbu wrote:Hi!

Just curious, but are there anybody here fond of watching Filipino dramas, especially for the non-Filipinos out there?

If so, what Filipino dramas have you watched? For the "kababayans", which Fil drama do you like the most?

I'd like to know if there is any drama that many would like to watch, and if they don't come in with English subtitles, we may take it as a project for subbing at Noypi Fansubs for you guys.

Thanks.
yo im a fellow noypi but as for now...as my opinion i dont recommend filipino dramas. dont take this much, its just an opinion anyways., im just up into the quality and content. because filipino dramas are kinda.., uhm doesnt have conccrete plot they just go with the flow of the story and outcome then think afterwards what's next making it progressively annoying (lots of filler..unneccessary scenes., poor editing like at one scene its night then switch to daylight then night again..and it is supposed to happen at the same time *sigh*) but i must say the remakes that filipino did are good though the original is far more better....and i must say too that filipino documentaries and indipendent films are really awesome... :cheers:

jamesbigdaddy

Post by jamesbigdaddy » Jan 28th, '09, 08:29

where can we download philippines drama?

yumenostalgic

Post by yumenostalgic » Jan 28th, '09, 09:24

jamesbigdaddy wrote:where can we download philippines drama?
You can watch here: http://www.veoh.com/users/Tatak-Pinoy/

Some torrents are also in d-addicts. I'm not sure if someone's seedng it:

http://fansub.d-addicts.com/Tatak_Pinoy

That's some of the dramas my sub team (Tatak Pinoy) did. Currently we're on hiatus due to busy schedule and personal obligations.

nelo

Post by nelo » Jan 28th, '09, 10:43

ive watched Valiente and Mara Clara 8) lufet!

Machihxh

Post by Machihxh » Feb 8th, '09, 10:36

I have a question for anyone who is Filipino and knows about Filipino dramas and movies. I started to watch the "One More Chance" movie and I realized that they mix Tagalog and English together? Now is that common with Filipino movies or was it only for that movie? Also do they do that with Filipino dramas as well? I just thought it was a bit awkward as I'm used to watching Japanese/Korean dramas/movies. It reminds me of how some young ones talk to their parents or ones that don't know the language really well or feel it's easier just to mix the lang's. Any help with this would be great, Thank you! :D