Why do guys love pretty girls?

The real life drama forum. Discuss your relationships or get to know the other members here.
TIticamara

Why do guys love pretty girls?

Post by TIticamara » Sep 29th, '07, 01:06

I was asked this question point blank the other day by another girl. It caught me so off guard that I can't think of an answer. I wanted to give her a very smart explanation but honestly speaking I can't think of anything. So give/share/donate me your ideas my fellow d-addicts. Thanks.
Well ask her back, why do girls like pretty/handsome boys??
She had already answered this question. She said pretty girls don't really necessary go for pretty/handsome boys. What really matters for them or what they find attractive in guys are the guy's status and personality. That is why she is very puzzled why guys long for pretty girls so much.
Last edited by TIticamara on Sep 29th, '07, 04:26, edited 2 times in total.

Ayulyn

Post by Ayulyn » Sep 29th, '07, 01:38

Im not sure Its something that can be simply answered.

I mean because everyone has their own definition of beauty, but usually the media influences some people's tastes.

TeAsEy0shi

Post by TeAsEy0shi » Sep 29th, '07, 01:42

Well ask her back, why do girls like pretty/handsome boys?? :whistling:

vitalone

my answer

Post by vitalone » Sep 29th, '07, 01:47

Um...because they are pretty maybe? thats obvious right, but if you really want me to put some effort into an answer then...

I think that everyone (not just guys, girls too) has an idea of what is "pretty" to them. i think it has a lot to do with what society a person grows up in. if we all lived in a society that being "pretty" means to be overweight, then all the guys would be all over them thick girls. big girls need lovin' too.

blehhhhh my 2 cents.. this girl who asked you this question is either in a psych class or shes not one of them "pretty" girls.

Puppet Princess

Post by Puppet Princess » Sep 29th, '07, 02:03

TeAsEy0shi stole my answer. :lol

Obviously people are attracted to things (people and inanimate objects) that look nice. If given a choice who would pick the bruised and brown flower over the fresh, fragrant and bright one. We like what is aesthetically pleasing.

groink

Post by groink » Sep 29th, '07, 02:18

I'm not totally convinced that all guys like pretty girls, and vise versa. Try sitting in a shopping mall and observe the couples who walk by. I'd say that most of the couples I've seen are not all that pretty or good looking. Some of them even scare me, but still they've found their soul mates.

As I've learned on D-Addicts, most people don't fall in love through their sexual organs. Many of the fangirls and fanboys here have told me again and again that they simply like pretty/handsome/cute people, but at the same time they don't want to have sex with them. I still find that hard to believe, but that's what they say (or they're BS'ing us for one reason or another.)

So tell your friend that the statement isn't true by any means. People fall in love for better reasons than looks.

--- groink

scaturan

Post by scaturan » Sep 29th, '07, 02:21

groink wrote:I'm not totally convinced that all guys like pretty girls, and vise versa. Try sitting in a shopping mall and observe the couples who walk by. I'd say that most of the couples I've seen are not all that pretty or good looking. Some of them even scare me, but still they've found their soul mates.

As I've learned on D-Addicts, most people don't fall in love through their sexual organs. Many of the fangirls and fanboys here have told me again and again that they simply like pretty/handsome/cute people, but at the same time they don't want to have sex with them. I still find that hard to believe, but that's what they say (or they're BS'ing us for one reason or another.)

So tell your friend that the statement isn't true by any means. People fall in love for better reasons than looks.

--- groink
bullseye! :)

Simple_Insecurities

Post by Simple_Insecurities » Sep 29th, '07, 02:51

o.0.. personally... The guy must be attractive to my eyes for me to date them.. everyone has their own perception of attractive.ness for themselves.. and i think.. if i dont find that person "good looking" or whatever.. then.. truly.. how in the WORLD can i stay with them for the rest of my life...?.. i mean.. can you REALLY truly make out with someone you think is ugly?.. eh.... i unno about you.. I can't.. they have to be SOMETHING to me... cute hot.. whatever.. i don't need them to be attractive to others.. but.. they have to be to me...

I like pretty things.. I know that myself...
and even my aunt that i see once every like a few years said
she noticed that about the pictures I take....
and when people say.. they don't care what the other person looks like..
I personally think it's bs.. yes personality counts..
but I think you have to be attracted to the person SOMEHOW..
...and that attractive.ness can grow over time too..
maybe their personality make them look really cute?
I unno.. I guess I sound really shallow..
but that's my two cents..

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Sep 29th, '07, 13:58

Because men are visual creatures and see women as objects of gratification.

NOTE: This is NOT how I personally feel, but if you're looking for a generic answer, then there you have it.

But a far better - and politically correct answer - would be exactly what groink said.

Solarplexis

Post by Solarplexis » Sep 29th, '07, 14:20

Simple_Insecurities wrote:o.0.. personally... The guy must be attractive to my eyes for me to date them.. everyone has their own perception of attractive.ness for themselves.. and i think.. if i dont find that person "good looking" or whatever.. then.. truly.. how in the WORLD can i stay with them for the rest of my life...?.. i mean.. can you REALLY truly make out with someone you think is ugly?.. eh.... i unno about you.. I can't.. they have to be SOMETHING to me... cute hot.. whatever.. i don't need them to be attractive to others.. but.. they have to be to me...

I like pretty things.. I know that myself...
and even my aunt that i see once every like a few years said
she noticed that about the pictures I take....
and when people say.. they don't care what the other person looks like..
I personally think it's bs.. yes personality counts..
but I think you have to be attracted to the person SOMEHOW..
...and that attractive.ness can grow over time too..
maybe their personality make them look really cute?
I unno.. I guess I sound really shallow..
but that's my two cents..
I completely agree with you. I believe that if the guy isn't attractive in my eyes, then why go out with him. I'm not going to want to kiss him. Personality counts for only so much, the rest has to be physical attraction.
We had a conversation about this at work in which all the guys told me that I was snobby because I had to think the guy was cute before I would date him. We can be friends first, and maybe your persona will make me think you're cure.
One of the guys said he didn't think his ex-girlfriend was that cute, but was with her because he loved her personality, so I guess it's all up to the guy as to if they only want pretty girls.

I have noticed however, that people who are considered good looking, typically only want other good looking people (mainly on guys sides) I've rarely seen a good looking guy with an ugly girl, but I've seen alot pretty girls with ugly guys. Maybe guys want pretty girls because they want other guys to be jealous of what they have. Hmmm....basically there's a looks scale....which is sad. Those on the less than pretty side have to date those that are the same, or have one hell of a personality in order to snag those better looking. I think guys just want pretty things.

miclye

Post by miclye » Sep 29th, '07, 14:38

Hmm, I understand the part of one being attracted to pretty things.

but then.. what about the pretty but overweight?

Firehawk

Post by Firehawk » Sep 29th, '07, 19:52

A lot of people are shallow (note: people, not men or women). That's all there is to it. Personally I will admit I don't think I could date someone who I didn't find at least reasonably pleasing to look at, but I definitely don't consider myself picky or shallow by any means.

A big thing for me is you can judge a person to some extent by their appearance. If a girl has, say, really bad acne, or unkempt hair, or is carelessly dressed, it sends the message they don't even care enough to tend to their appearance. Obviously everyone has a bad day now and then, but there's a famous saying, "the clothes make the man," and I really do believe in that. Anyone can clean up nicely with a little effort, and you don't have to be a stunning beauty to find someone nice.

In some ways you're almost better off being average looking I think, because then you're getting passed up by most shallow individuals, and a lot more likely to be dated for who you are than how you look.

techie
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by techie » Sep 29th, '07, 20:02

Someone once told me we should be lucky that children get 90% of their IQ from the mothers side.

In other words, girls should focus on finding guys who are making them laugh and lead a happy life, while guys should focus on finding girls who are smarter than themselves.

A bl**dy dilemma when you're a guy with 140 in IQ, but then again, it might explain why stupid guys only go for girls wh are pretty on the outside.

Just my humble oppinion.

iceprincess88

Post by iceprincess88 » Sep 29th, '07, 20:29

I gotta say this whoever asks this question is a dumb-ass, because who doesn't like pretty things? Let me ask this if there is a pretty/cute toy and an ugly one, which one you choose? For humans' desire, they will choose pretty one...However, there will always an exception in this; but you got to admit this. If you're walking down the street, there is a pretty boy/girl you will definitely take a look at them for sure. Even though that girl asks that question and did answered back, I believe she did once take a look at a pretty boy and thinking that he is cute. Don't you agree? That's all I got to say, this life is full with unfair. So deal with it! Tell her that.

knuts

Post by knuts » Sep 29th, '07, 21:16

I read somewhere that men go for pretty girls, because pretty is associated with healthy ...and intelligent (?), so they can have healthy offspring and women look for men that can provide and take care of her and her kids, so power, literally and figuratively, and means to do that. Men and women nowadays basically still choose their partner the way they did thousands years ago when they still lived in caves. Well, something along those lines.

ephesus
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by ephesus » Oct 20th, '07, 15:01

Why is water wet?

Seriously though people, it's a hard coded physiological response from millions of years of evolution. Healthy people in general look better than unhealthy people, and you should be thankful that it's hardcoded into us to find healthy partners, or our species might have died out years ago. It's the same reason a peacock is attracted to the biggest brightest tail feathers.

The real question lies in the fact that Humans are for the most part no longer evolving, so does that mean that we could eventually eliminate some of these natural tendencies that developed over the years that originally aided in the propagation of the species but are no longer needed?

Didn't you guys go to science class in high school? Big Smile

SP1CA

Post by SP1CA » Oct 20th, '07, 15:25

if a boy says ''i like you because you're pretty'' to me, i think that as an insult; i got other qualities,too. i have a nice character and a brain :D

ethidda
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by ethidda » Oct 20th, '07, 15:42

For me, I don't think it's valid to say "I like you because you're pretty" but it is valid to say "I don't like you because you're not pretty."

Honestly, there very, very, very few people who are TRULY ugly. The rest of the "ugly" people just either don't know how to dress or don't bother to take the time to do it.

I had a friend who was very pretty and had very long hair. But she never brushed it out (took too much time). And she wore really old, unfitting clothes. I asked her why she doesn't dress up if she wanted a boyfriend, and she said that he should like her for who she is. But if she dressed up, she could have very easily become gordeous.

sakr0

Post by sakr0 » Oct 20th, '07, 16:37

ethidda wrote:Honestly, there very, very, very few people who are TRULY ugly. The rest of the "ugly" people just either don't know how to dress or don't bother to take the time to do it.
That is so true ethidda! I mean, I don't really think that anyone is really "ugly" since beauty is only in the eye of the beholder anyway, but some people who think that they're "ugly" they can usually look better by either just looking more confident/social or just changing their hair or the way that they dress, etc. Basically, I think that everyone has the potential to be "pretty" if they want to.

I had a really tomboyish friend at school who would probably give off more of a friend vibe to guys than girlfriend material, but she sure cleaned herself up for prom!

But I don't think that anyone should be just fixated on how they look. Remember, it doesn't matter how good you look if you have a nasty personality :crazy:

Elien

Post by Elien » Oct 20th, '07, 16:42

it´s true, that if i see a handsome boy (doesnt metter if its my classmate or idol) i became somehow happy. but most of my friends are telling me, that my way of choosing guys i like is strange. last boy that catched my eye was skinny guy with long hair and a bit grown beard, but his blue eyes are, like Domyoji Tsukasa said, outta this world :wub:

ehm, about my look... i´ve got dark long hair but i hate when they got into my face so i tie them up, dont have time or dont feel like to do make up, dressing mostly like a boy and cause i´m doing sports, most of time i spend in tracksuit :rambo:

sooo, i think that the most important thing is to see something interesting on a man :dopey:

jaded20

Post by jaded20 » Oct 21st, '07, 03:23

i think girls like pretty boys and guys like pretty girls for the same reason ... to show each other off and make others feel so bad about their pathetic loneliness ... i think everyone - whether pretty or not by any standard - looks to fall in true love with that perfect someone. perfect face, body, heart, and the list goes on ... but you know what? i have decided that whoever i date will not be a pretty boy. because they are just so damn ****. that is all. goodbye world^^~

wewa

Post by wewa » Oct 21st, '07, 04:00

If you study psychology and sociology, you will find the answer.

my cliff notes response, is that we learn our values, from those around us and the influences in your culture.
Beauty, religion, morality, sexuality, appetite, and practically everything else in your life comes from others.
Parents, uncles, aunties, friends, those you spend time with, and look up to.

I have dozens of friends and family that are perfect examples of this phenomenon. Look around you, I'm sure you can find patterns, if you know where to look, and what to observe.

I have nieces that are obessed by 'hot' guys, and will do anything to try and get their attention. And guess what? Their mother is always reading National Enquirer, People, and watching e! TV and Entertainment Tonight. That is the household they grew up in. The mom is always talking to them about which celeb just got implants, and who's trading up and dumping whom, etc. See the correlation?

Then I have other nieces, who, were home schooled, they didn't own a TV, and so had little media influence for much of their youth. They went to church regularly, and now, the are studying to be a doctor and vet. They are kind, polite, take care of their grandma, and are the sweetest girls in our family. And guess what? They are slender, tall and very attractive. Except they wear glasses (easily solved by contacts). :D

I can give other examples of nephews, friends kids, and more, but I'm trying to keep it short here.

Of course, just like in nature and biology, you will always find exceptions, (like hermaphroditic fish that can be difficult for scientists to categorize in taxonomy, the hibiscus flower, marsupials, etc.), but as in science, you can make some broad generalizations, and find that it is a 'rule of thumb' that will apply to most situations.

So that is the explanation for you, who was asked the 'pretty' question, by the girl.

But the response you want to give to THAT girl, that you might have used, if you were quick to the draw, could have been a quip such as:

- not me, i like them fat and fugly, (thats why I hang wit u), :o
- for the same reasons that girls go for guys; [with] money, power, fame,
- its in the male genetic potential, to find a attractive mate, 'survival of the fittest,'
- men are more visual than women, women are more emotional, like peacocks, but in reverse,
- its more fun that way, after all, who wants to be with a 'fatty?!' :P
- and probably a hundred other one liners.

Hope this helps.
take care.

taiwanesebrothaz

Post by taiwanesebrothaz » Oct 30th, '07, 02:10

why?

people are attracted to pretty things, simple as that... you idolize people who have strong attributes and GOOD looks, because thats what you would want to be or seek in ur significant other.

a pretty face/cute face is the first thing you see, so when a pretty girl walks by... you'll eye her longer than someone less pretty, because its attractive, just like how you would look at a cute guy alot more than some less handsome guy.

some people say looks dont matter

but in fact they DO to some point.

but to me personality matters more in the end.

exiguel88

Post by exiguel88 » Oct 30th, '07, 09:21

My guess is that we got those 'attraction' gens from the animal kingdom.
Girl birds are supposed to find someone they can imagine to spend their life with this
attractive bird http://www.mittsverige.com/Fotogallery/PåfågelHJ.jpg .

To bad in the human world, after a while the attractive man doesn't think like the woman, but he still attracts her. The divorce papers are in reach. :-(

mimmi

Post by mimmi » Nov 4th, '07, 04:59

kobe23 wrote:Because men are visual creatures and see women as objects of gratification.

NOTE: This is NOT how I personally feel, but if you're looking for a generic answer, then there you have it.

But a far better - and politically correct answer - would be exactly what groink said.
Agree with that, and just goes the same for women too on how they see men....but I won't say that men/women love pretty guys/gals; I'd say they're attracted to them because everybody likes/attracted to what's looks pretty, but then you start dissecting down that pretty/handsome face to what's beneath that pretty face and you find out what's really there....is it to keep or to discard, is it to love or not to love? So just like groink wrote, some couples don't look pretty, they look scary; something like that....

ackirom

Post by ackirom » Nov 8th, '07, 00:00

You've got a lot of answers here. Any update? How'd your friend respond?

I think "the guys who love pretty girls" are blinded by their looks, temporarily. Looks are the first thing you notice on a person. Why else would girls dress up and try to look pretty if they wouldn't get noticed by doing so (and vice versa)? Plus I think people just like pretty things in general for the many reasons that were said up there already. It's up to the person whether they wanna dig deeper in that pretty person and find if they truly like them, can just tolerate them, or just can't stand them and decide for themselves.

Of course, when personality's not enough, then a little more effort on the exterior is needed. It's the same thing when you go in a job interview: you dress up depending on how much you want that job.

Then again, I know some girls who don't wanna date hotter guys cuz they don't want other people whispering about how the guy is so much hotter than they are. But I've never heard of guys not wanting to date a hotter girl for the same reason though :scratchchin:

TIticamara

Post by TIticamara » Nov 10th, '07, 15:25

ackirom wrote:You've got a lot of answers here. Any update? How'd your friend respond?
Haha...We totally forgot about this topic since then. It was just one of those frivolous chats we all had with our friends at one point or another, but thanks alot for all your replies, it was intriguing to read nonetheless.

reine

Post by reine » Nov 22nd, '07, 11:43

well my answer is.....

it depends...
usually guys love pretty girls.. yeah yeah.. almost.. but there are guys who don't go for pretty ones..coz some of them aren't handsome/pretty... they feel they will not be accepted by pretty ones bcos they dont look that handsome. me, (i mean, not being arrogant or what,)im kinda pretty and i dont go for someone i think is kinda ugly..

my point is almost all of the guys do look for pretty girls but some who dont look handsome enough dont really go for pretty ones, its just their fantasy. but guys who do look good in a way really go and flirt with pretty girls bcos they have the confidence to flirt with pretty ones bcos they know they have the looks.
am i out of the topic already? LOLS... :glare:

isbes83

Post by isbes83 » Nov 22nd, '07, 11:50

2 word HUMAN NATURE

Chabasse

Post by Chabasse » Dec 2nd, '07, 22:30

i would say its because its the first thing we see when we approach a girl before we getta know the girl, but in the end its personality that matters

Leib

Post by Leib » Dec 3rd, '07, 06:46

I think everyone should see Akira Kurosawa's 1962 film Sanjuro (aka Tzubaki Sanjuro) to see how determining one's opinion of a person mostly on looks can pan out...

murokeksi

Post by murokeksi » Dec 9th, '07, 19:54

Just as we girls love pretty/good looking boys :whistling: I know I like good looking men :wub:

melonyhappy

Post by melonyhappy » Dec 12th, '07, 22:22

lol what a weird question.... i would assume the answer is.. because she's pretty? I like pretty boy XD

AnbuItachi

Post by AnbuItachi » Dec 25th, '07, 04:47

cause of peer pressure.

briancharliee

Post by briancharliee » Dec 31st, '07, 14:33

Yes I agree it is mean. Don't take those immature boys to heart. They are just immature yet. You might just be a late bloomer. Guys are so cruel. Even if they like u its hard to tell. Don't get your feeling hurt though. Just take time. You feel like u need someone but there is plenty of time. I know its hard to wait. Especially if u have someone in your sights. Guys just don't mature as quickly as girls. When they all see u and you are twenty. They will Fall to your feet. Trust me. I've seen this before. And please don't do any thing rash. or crazy yet. Take your time.

OneMore

Post by OneMore » Jan 5th, '08, 05:36

isbes83 wrote:2 word HUMAN NATURE
BINGO!
Its like being asked;
Do you want $20 or $10? Do you want 1 cheesecake or 2 cheesecakes? Do you want to be with a sexiest woman of the year winner or a 4th runner up?

Easy to answer

But what if u were told the $20 is a forgery, the 2 cheesecakes are a long time out of date and the choice was between sexiest woman of the year 1950 and 4th runner up 2008 (Happy New Year by the way)
Kinda changes things.

Do you like pretty girls? Easy answer.

But liking the pretty face of someone and what your GF 'has to be' are different. Many things overrule prettiness. But it sure does help. Away for some cheesecake. :-)

i4ybrid

Post by i4ybrid » Jan 29th, '08, 00:52

Evolutionary instincts...very simple.
You want to have good looking kids (or healthy as someone else posted), so you go for good looking people.
I think it's weird that some girls go for very feminine men, but there's also an instinctive reason for that... =)

saki-chan

Post by saki-chan » Jan 29th, '08, 01:16

well, isn't it instinctual? it's built in our genes to go for people that are pretty because then offspring produced with that person would also be pretty. most of the time, our brains think pretty=symmetrical. and facial symmetry is something our bodies developed to portray the good genes inside. it's all about fertility, basically: pretty people are usually more fertile and healthy. so men are instinctually attracted to pretty women because they are more able to reproduce healthy offspring with them. that's the scientific answer.
less scientifically, guys want a pretty girlfriend for their egos a lot of the time. someone to show off to their friends. it makes them feel more like a man, i guess.
but then again, everyone is pretty in some aspect or another to some one somewhere. as much as the media wants us to believe pretty people look one way, that's not the case. if i were you, i'd make sure your friend understood that, and also tell her how it's just natures way of saying "i'm good", like a nice ripe apple is pretty to show it tastes good, humans are pretty to show we breed good..

dreamerboy

Post by dreamerboy » Feb 3rd, '08, 22:55

reine wrote: it depends...
usually guys love pretty girls.. yeah yeah.. almost.. but there are guys who don't go for pretty ones..coz some of them aren't handsome/pretty... they feel they will not be accepted by pretty ones bcos they dont look that handsome. me, (i mean, not being arrogant or what,)im kinda pretty and i dont go for someone i think is kinda ugly..
LOL like me. my standards are pretty low when it comes to judging girls who I think are attractive. I know my limitations and i'm not a handsome guy so i usually go for women who are average and below average looking because chances are i'll probably get shot down if i try to talk to an attractive looking lady vs an unattractive one :lol

ooijanice

Post by ooijanice » Feb 3rd, '08, 23:18

I believe in this quote " Beauty is to the beholder". :P

dabogy

Post by dabogy » Jul 15th, '09, 03:03

U C..ITS AN EGO BOOSTING!! WHO'S GONNA BE ASHAMED TO HAVE A LOVELY GF/BF.

nobody!!! aha...

mauisplash

Post by mauisplash » Jul 18th, '09, 03:28

Blah Blah Blah

nuff said :P

4everU

Post by 4everU » Jul 18th, '09, 04:46

LOL!! i think its really simple!! hahaha...."PRETTY THINGS ARE ATTRACTIVE AND PEOPLE WANT THEM!" ...and a guy seeing a pretty girl..they get attracted and say to them selves "hey shes cute"...and they smile..lol...... its just something we all do i believe...whether ur a boy or girl.... AND ITS CUZ U WANNA LOOK AT IT!! lol

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by aNToK » Jul 23rd, '09, 05:05

removed
Last edited by aNToK on Jul 23rd, '09, 23:09, edited 1 time in total.

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by aNToK » Jul 23rd, '09, 05:07

On the looks thing, I remember someone saying this, "If a guy sees a pretty girl, I don't care if she's at the counter at Burger King wearing one of those paper hats, he'll ask her out. If a girl sees a good-looking guy at that same counter, she'll say, 'he's kind of cute, too bad he's such a loser.'"

Being overly general, there's a lot of truth there....

mrthong

Post by mrthong » Jul 23rd, '09, 22:22

not all guys go for the pretty girls, and everyone has different meanings to "pretty"

if you made one man on an island, he stayed there all his life alone, until you let a women on the island shes ugly, but to the man shes the prettiest lady his ever seen.

EDIT: sorry for bad english xD

fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy » Jul 23rd, '09, 22:45

Why do men go for pretty girls?
This is pretty simple sexual desire.
The prettier your gf is, the more other guys envy you.

It other words-
Lust
Superiority
Greed

popoycanton

Post by popoycanton » Jul 23rd, '09, 23:19

A few from a billion possible answers would be:
Because society dictates it.
Human are attracted to beauty.

krayfi

Post by krayfi » Aug 16th, '09, 04:18

Because it's a fact that prettier ones get the attention first. After that, then guys start to evaluate them, but I would think their beauty will somewhat cloud their judgement lol :)

XrayZ

Post by XrayZ » Aug 16th, '09, 05:22

Surely we love them because we desperately want to dress like them?

RyuNoKami

Post by RyuNoKami » Aug 16th, '09, 06:07

well think of it this way: lets just say beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

so it doesn't matter how you define beauty but hey its beauty. It is the why not that you should be asking. Of course you would prefer someone who is better looking because that is the first thing you see. I read somewhere that it is actually part of our whole animal aspect and evolutionary theory thing. The better attractive the mate, the more chance of you wanting to be with that person. As humans, we can convey other signals as well but until you can actually talk to that person, its going to be about looks first.

nankasento

Post by nankasento » Aug 20th, '09, 15:56

Let's throw in another perspective, what about the visually impaired? For example blind people, do you really think they are attractive to visually pretty things? They don't have to be born with it, not all blind people are born blind, there's quite a lot that became blind from an accident, people born with defects probably apply to the exceptions in this case because we are talking in general, or at least that's my understanding. People who were within general before their accident don't necessarily go for visual pretty after their accident as they would before, why is that?

I also would like to throw in attitude in the conversation, I've seen plenty of cases that guys who have the same kind of attitude but on the opposite of the looks scale get just as far as the other. The most funniest one is with an identical twin, they each have a boyfriend, now husbands, but one's a pretty-boy and the other, to be very rude, ugly, but they have the same attitude, and these girls are pretty girls, once a model and the other is fitness instructor. But that's not all, when I was at their place for a BBQ something interesting came up when we had a similar conversation about pretty because for someone reason when people are asked who they find prettier of the two twins people that don't know them generally pick the model but everyone who knew them generally pick the fitness instructor, why? Because their attitude is very different.

As for pretty-boys with "ugly" girls, I know some couples like that but they are far less then the other way around but it's usually is for various reasons, money, power, cheating.
A friend of mine he's a pretty-boy but he's not that "smart", he does factory work, which is of course very important and not degrading at all, but it doesn't bring in that much money, his wife is not that beautiful, actually I find her more in the lines of those who can be but she just doesn't take the time to do so, she doesn't care but she's very successful in what she does and has quite a career.
You can see where this is going can't you?
He can get and has had much prettier girlfriends but eventually they all go where the money's at. At one point, which I think was one of the smartest things he ever did, is just to not waste time building on visual pretty but on solid attitude and personality.

Pretty fades away quickly with the years, before you know it you're old and wrinkled, and for the rest of the time your "stuck" with personality and attitude.

I also agree that the media plays a big role and what we perceive as pretty, someone mentioned that if fat would be considered pretty then all the men would go for that, actually there was a period in time this was the case and even today in some cultures being fat is considered pretty and healthy / wealthy and a good status to be and quite some men go for it.

But in the end, what does it matter right? I always enjoyed the following expression, whatever floats your boat.

lollercopter

Post by lollercopter » Oct 6th, '09, 18:29

I don't know why this thread made it to four pages. The answer is biology: beauty signifies good reproductive health (as does youth). That's all there is to it.

xyxablink

Hi there guys...

Post by xyxablink » Oct 20th, '09, 05:01

As for me, in my own point of view with that.. I am a girl.... and I think ...
guys... some are really longing for a beautiful partner, in any form, wife,girlfriend...
for they were deceive by beauty..and they do care about what other people will
say... although thinking, that if they were with a beautiful woman, they think that
this person is perfect..

But in general, I see it,as an object to be displayed... no offense but that's how it was..
I just don't know what other guy thinks...

Ivy Sharmaine

Why boys like pretty girls?

Post by Ivy Sharmaine » Apr 25th, '13, 04:25

Actually, so that they can boast to public that they got a beautiful girl, they are proud to say that this girl isn't just pretty, but has a good attitude too.
this answer is based on my relationship now. my live-in partner has a beautiful ex.i'm not pretty as she is. i'm insecure of course.

if they chose not beautiful girls, they can be easily judge by their choice of girl.

alexk777

Post by alexk777 » Dec 22nd, '13, 01:59

Mainly because healthy beautiful offspring. Men always think about his legacy

fictionalistic

Post by fictionalistic » Feb 9th, '14, 00:54

I can't speak for guys, but as a lady-lover, I gotta say that a lot of the time, it's not the pretty girl you're in love with, but the idea of being in love with a pretty girl. Um, if that makes sense. nn;

J-zavislak

Post by J-zavislak » Mar 21st, '14, 21:21

Huh? There are girls who are not pretty?

prz

Post by prz » Mar 25th, '14, 03:56

nankasento wrote: As for pretty-boys with "ugly" girls, I know some couples like that but they are far less then the other way around but it's usually is for various reasons, money, power, cheating.
A friend of mine he's a pretty-boy but he's not that "smart", he does factory work, which is of course very important and not degrading at all, but it doesn't bring in that much money, his wife is not that beautiful, actually I find her more in the lines of those who can be but she just doesn't take the time to do so, she doesn't care but she's very successful in what she does and has quite a career.
You can see where this is going can't you?
He can get and has had much prettier girlfriends but eventually they all go where the money's at. At one point, which I think was one of the smartest things he ever did, is just to not waste time building on visual pretty but on solid attitude and personality.

Pretty fades away quickly with the years, before you know it you're old and wrinkled, and for the rest of the time your "stuck" with personality and attitude.

I also agree that the media plays a big role and what we perceive as pretty, someone mentioned that if fat would be considered pretty then all the men would go for that, actually there was a period in time this was the case and even today in some cultures being fat is considered pretty and healthy / wealthy and a good status to be and quite some men go for it.
I've had various girl friends before and they've all been completely different in looks, personality, intellect, etc.
The problem I had with the most attractive of them was she had no real concept of money (parents had paid for anything she needed) and she wasn't very bright, so having a deep conversation with her was an issue.
Another girl wasn't as attractive, had a good working life, but valued school and work more than having a relationship (which is good for her as she has a masters and is working).
The one I chose in the end was someone that was good with money (as in investing rather than working), very bright, willing to try new things (e.g. making soap, common products rather than buying them), cooks great food. I wouldn't call her a "pretty girl" and when she says she wants to work harder to be attractive (which would be buying more expensive clothes and makeup) I tell her that isn't my priority in a lady.

I know that looks don't last forever and I'd rather get old with someone I can spend quality time with than someone I just reminiscence on how attractive they were when they were younger.
Even if I see some "pretty girl" somewhere, I don't consider wanting to fall in love with her. There is likely a flaw that outweighs those looks and she is probably good at covering it up for long enough to get a guy / maybe get married.

(sorry for continuing posting to a 7-year thread)

Raziel_Avernus

Post by Raziel_Avernus » Mar 25th, '14, 05:04

i actually don`t like pretty girls that much, i tend to ignore looks and i like someone smart and a little crazy, also i hate makeup so i prefer a girl who doesn`t wear much or at all

Wilcoxs

Re: Why do guys love pretty girls?

Post by Wilcoxs » Sep 30th, '19, 12:55

IF you have pretty girl, And pretty girl is your first love, so I have some quotes for your pretty girl.

ccfj

Post by ccfj » Oct 10th, '20, 06:49

People in general tend to be more attracted to healthier individuals and people who take care of themselves

istorzka
Virgin Islands (Brit)

Post by istorzka » Nov 11th, '20, 19:27

The answer is evident — these ladies please your eyes, and you start to imagine you can get a very good, nice “prize” — almost a perfect woman. Ladies also do not admire ugly fat men; even if they tell you they do not care, they lie.

mrvx
Malaysia

Post by mrvx » Apr 13th, '22, 01:28

all guys love pretty girl accept gay :D