Hawaii D-Addicts

speak whatever language you like here.
ckh019
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by ckh019 » Sep 6th, '07, 10:28

there was a tsunami warning here? haha. i need to get out of my shell once in a while. :P

blueeyedwolf
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by blueeyedwolf » Sep 6th, '07, 20:47

ckh019 wrote:there was a tsunami warning here? haha. i need to get out of my shell once in a while.
LOL! Yeah, that's what we said. It must be a common response from Hilo people don't you think? :mrgreen:

ckh019
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by ckh019 » Sep 6th, '07, 23:59

blueeyedwolf wrote:
ckh019 wrote:there was a tsunami warning here? haha. i need to get out of my shell once in a while.
LOL! Yeah, that's what we said. It must be a common response from Hilo people don't you think? :mrgreen:
haha~ yup. oblivious of storm warnings and such :P.

lunch time~ :lol

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Sep 9th, '07, 05:24

brennan and the warriors scared the be-jeezus out of me!! what a game (vs louisiana tech). i hope this is a wake-up call for them.

out here, i can only listen to the hawaii warrior game on the internet, and the connection is pretty bad. it kept dropping off and re-buffering (lack of bandwidth). supposedly, i can watch it on espn360, but i need a verizon online name and pwd. anyone got a spare? haha.

well, glad they were able to pull it out at the end.

sarcasstik
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by sarcasstik » Sep 18th, '07, 20:03

jholic wrote:brennan and the warriors scared the be-jeezus out of me!! what a game (vs louisiana tech). i hope this is a wake-up call for them.

out here, i can only listen to the hawaii warrior game on the internet, and the connection is pretty bad. it kept dropping off and re-buffering (lack of bandwidth). supposedly, i can watch it on espn360, but i need a verizon online name and pwd. anyone got a spare? haha.

well, glad they were able to pull it out at the end.
have you seen any pictures of him recently? bleached all of his hair and has the Hawaiian island chain dyed in black on the side of his head. :blink

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Sep 19th, '07, 06:00

sarcasstik wrote:have you seen any pictures of him recently? bleached all of his hair and has the Hawaiian island chain dyed in black on the side of his head. :blink
unfortunately (or fortunately?) i haven't seen him. we don't catch the hawaii games on tv out here. i'm waiting for the san jose game in october to see them on espn.

there was an article about him in sports illustrated about a month ago. he said he went to get a nice haircut since he was told SI was going to take his pic. i guess after that interview, it was fair game on whatever he wanted to do with his hair! :lol

they did quite well vs unlv, but i didn't understand why jones had him bootleg so much with a sprained ankle? anyways, our opponents have not been the greatest, but we're going to get tested later in the season.

sarcasstik
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by sarcasstik » Sep 21st, '07, 04:37

jholic wrote: they did quite well vs unlv, but i didn't understand why jones had him bootleg so much with a sprained ankle? anyways, our opponents have not been the greatest, but we're going to get tested later in the season.
i think they fell some in the rankings after the close call against latech, so maybe he wanted to make a statement to make sure uh doesn't drop out of the radar. like you said, the schedule is kinda weak until later on in the season. who knows?

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Sep 25th, '07, 01:16

it was nice to see graunke get some playing time, although it's never a good statement to finally get the shot you're asking for, then struggle against a 1AA team. but i still thought it was premature for fans to boo him.

glad to know they got out with a win, but i'm anticipating the upcoming games against better opponents. it'll really show if we belong or not. i haven't been proud about being right about this, but i've always said ranking hawaii is a sure way of getting them to choke. i'm very glad their proving me wrong thus far.

gmak

Hawaii D-Addicts

Post by gmak » Sep 25th, '07, 01:45

Aloha! =D

I'm glad there' finally a Hawaii D-addicts thread.....AWESOME!

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Sep 26th, '07, 01:24

aloha gmak,

i'm pretty far from home, so whatever you post about hawaii would interest me.

kylagurl
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by kylagurl » Nov 3rd, '07, 13:38

haha, aloha jholic,

So you're a hawaii native. It must be beautiful there right?

I've heard from my teacher that Hawaii is an island which experiences lots of tsunamis, but it's like no one dies from it. It's cos of a very great warning system right? Has anyone actually seen a tsunami come towards them before when they are by the beach when a tsunami strikes? WAha... I guess it's still most accurate to hear the perspectives of native Hawaiians!

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Nov 6th, '07, 01:30

hi kyla: yes, i'm from hawaii, but i'm away from home right now.

hawaii does not get many tsunami's, but we're always in danger of one. if there's an earthquake near alaska, california, japan and in the pacific, hawaii could be in big trouble. but we've been lucky so far. (everyone knock on wood!).

anyways, how's the weather where you are?

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Nov 8th, '07, 00:54

is anyone going to the fresno state game this saturday?

mister

Post by mister » Nov 9th, '07, 06:26

No.

groink

Post by groink » Nov 9th, '07, 07:51

jholic wrote:is anyone going to the fresno state game this saturday?
Not me... I have to teach on Saturdays. But I do have tickets to the Boise St. game on Turkey Day.

--- groink

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Nov 10th, '07, 01:27

@mister: why not? sure wish i could be there.
groink wrote:
jholic wrote:is anyone going to the fresno state game this saturday?
Not me... I have to teach on Saturdays. But I do have tickets to the Boise St. game on Turkey Day.
oh, you lucky bum! i'm so jealous. scream your lungs out for me, alright?

i'll be yelling my head off here (waking the neighbors) at 2 in the morn! :lol

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Nov 17th, '07, 16:59

so who watched the nevada game? i went to bed at 3:30am. (for you young whippersnappers, that's nothing. for an old guy like me, it'll take me a week to recover).

dan kelly is the MAN!!

even with a backup qb, hawaii probably could have played a bit better. but it was quite a thriller. clocked ticked down with 11 seconds left. hawaii has no timeouts left, but nevada just called one to ice our kicker (kelly) in the middle of the field. let's absorb the extent of the situation:

game's on the line, a perfect season, wac championship, bcs bowl hopes, $4M payout, 45 yds, cold weather, hostile crowd, national tv ,,, :pale:

kelly kicks it. :unsure: looks accurate. :O MAY HAVE THE DISTANCE. :goggle: IT'S GOOD!! :cheers: :w000t: HAWAII WI ... wait. no. hold on. :blink nevada called another timeout just before the kick! :crazy: :x :cussing:

SO KELLY HAS TO DO IT AGAIN!! :cry:

same situation. :pray: kelly kicks it. AND IT'S BETTER THAN THE FIRST ONE!! hawaii wins.

:cheers: :w000t: :clap: :party: :dance:

dan kelly. dude is money. :notworthy:

blueeyedwolf
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by blueeyedwolf » Nov 17th, '07, 20:49

LOL!! jholic, you one crazy local!!! XD

Oh yeah, I'm not really following all this football stuff (since I'm a girl :P ), but one of my guy friends was telling me that he has tickets to the Boise game. Is it going to be televised? If so, I might watch if I have time :-)

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Nov 18th, '07, 16:44

blueeyedwolf wrote:LOL!! jholic, you one crazy local!!! XD
you'd think i was crazier if you saw me jumping up and down in my apt, stifling my yelling at 2am not to wake the neighbors - while celebrating on my cellphone with my friends! :lol
blueeyedwolf wrote:Oh yeah, I'm not really following all this football stuff (since I'm a girl :P ), but one of my guy friends was telling me that he has tickets to the Boise game. Is it going to be televised? If so, I might watch if I have time :-)
yes, it will be on friday, nov 23, 4pm Hawaii Standard Time on ESPN2.

i'm hoping it's going to be an awesome game, but i'm worried. bsu is an awesome team and in all honesty, we have not played very well in our last few games. we really need to step it up if we want to beat bsu. you might be able to hear me all the way from here!

just want to give you some perspective on this game. hawaii has a chance to go to two bowl games this year:

bcs bowl = $4.5 MILLION for UH
sheraton hawaii bowl = $390,000

we always have a tough time recruiting w/ a small budget and aging facilities. getting into the bcs bowl would benefit many hawaii students and residents - not just football players.

but to do this, we MUST WIN OUR LAST TWO GAMES and finish undefeated. this game vs boise is THE game. they are saying that the winner of this game will probably get into the bcs. boise went last year. hopefully, it's hawaii's year. tell your friend to make as much noise as humanly possible.

blueeyedwolf
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by blueeyedwolf » Nov 19th, '07, 21:32

jholic wrote:you'd think i was crazier if you saw me jumping up and down in my apt, stifling my yelling at 2am not to wake the neighbors - while celebrating on my cellphone with my friends!
LOL *imagines* LMAO ROFL XD Totally something the Nya!Posse would do~:mrgreen:
jholic wrote:tell your friend to make as much noise as humanly possible.
I already did. :mrgreen: He's just as excited as you are (and giving me the whole earful of how the whole game determines what). ^^

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Nov 20th, '07, 00:35

blueeyedwolf wrote:(and giving me the whole earful of how the whole game determines what)
i'm guessing you sat there like a bobble-head doll nodding away, all the while thinking "gee, i wonder what's on sale at macy's?"

it's only fair. when women start talking about purses, shoes and jewelry, my eyes glaze over and i wonder, "is she going to eat that?"

blueeyedwolf
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by blueeyedwolf » Nov 20th, '07, 19:59

jholic wrote:i'm guessing you sat there like a bobble-head doll nodding away, all the while thinking "gee, i wonder what's on sale at macy's?"
Actually....yeah, I was.^^ But instead of wondering what's on sale at Macy's, I was wondering if I could go over to Hime's to watch it this weekend :whistling:
jholic wrote:it's only fair. when women start talking about purses, shoes and jewelry, my eyes glaze over and i wonder, "is she going to eat that?"
LOL. I'm actually not like other girls. I don't torture my man when it comes to things I buy. I mean, he's a guy. He won't understand all the girlie stuff right? So why torture the poor soul? Instead, I save it for the Nya! Posse :mrgreen:

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Nov 21st, '07, 03:36

is hime and the other nya members going to cheer for the warriors at her house? bring lots of pupu's. man, i miss poke.

blueeyedwolf
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by blueeyedwolf » Nov 21st, '07, 04:44

It looks like it'll be just Hime (and her family) and I unless I give Momo-chan a ring. Cuz I don't think Setsuna even knows about this whole thing since she's in Japan and is going to a wedding instead.^^ I wonder if she can watch it online? :scratch:

Hmm...pupus...that's an idea. I wonder what we should get....*is becoming hungry by the thought* :P

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Nov 21st, '07, 23:41

blueeyedwolf wrote:I wonder if she can watch it online? :scratch:
if she can somehow get a stream of espn2, she can do it. the way i've had to do it since i've been away is listen on internet radio: http://www.sportsradio1420.com/
blueeyedwolf wrote:Hmm...pupus...that's an idea. I wonder what we should get....*is becoming hungry by the thought* :P
hm, might i suggest ahi poke, shrimp chips, and lomi lomi salmon. :wub:

blueeyedwolf
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by blueeyedwolf » Nov 24th, '07, 23:52

YAY!!!! WE WON!!! XD 39-27 was it? :scratch: Unfortunately we missed the beginning of the game, which I'm sure was the meaty part, but we were able to catch it from the 3rd quarter on. It was quite exciting for Hime and I who barely understand football. We caught ourselves cheering and yelling at the players on occasion, but I must say overall it was fun to watch^^ We were rolling on the floor when they dumped the ice water on June Jones before the game even ended. He looked pissed!! XD And I was a bit disturbed about some of our local fans, but I guess it comes with the territory of the game? *imagines jholic being one of the crazy fans shown on TV* :whistling:

Oh, and instead of the recommended pupu? We had a turkey dinner with Pasteles instead. It was yummy~ :mrgreen: :wub:

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Nov 28th, '07, 01:31

UNIVERSITY OF HAWAII WARRIORS = WAC CHAMPIONS!

yes, we won and we played an excellent game. there's none of that 'oh, we got lucky' or 'the calls went your way'. it was a great effort on both teams. i was so happy hawaii won.
blueeyedwolf wrote:It was quite exciting for Hime and I who barely understand football. We caught ourselves cheering and yelling at the players on occasion, but I must say overall it was fun to watch
i think you'll enjoy the next game as well - vs washington huskies. that should be good game. i'm not kidding when i say this will be the most important game of our program. if we lose, we lose a huuuuge amount of money for the school.
blueeyedwolf wrote:We were rolling on the floor when they dumped the ice water on June Jones before the game even ended. He looked pissed!! XD
thas' why i like jj. he lets the players play, but he's not going to be jumping up and down when he knows there's still business to take care of. in the after-game interview on the field, he look like he LOST the game. i was like, 'gee, brah, at least SMILE little bit.'
blueeyedwolf wrote:And I was a bit disturbed about some of our local fans, but I guess it comes with the territory of the game? *imagines jholic being one of the crazy fans shown on TV* :whistling:
i'm crazy and loud as can be when i'm at aloha stadium. but i still remember i'm representing hawaii. some of the local fans, especially when they drunk, forget that and they start behaving pretty bad. they get the idea like 'i paid for the ticket, so i can do what i like ... f the visitors, we no need them anyways.'

but that's poor judgment on their part. here we supposed to be the 'aloha state' and we not going represent that? that's wrong. i not saying we need for be quiet and sit down. we can be hostile, loud, aggressive, supportive, but still no need throw rubbish on the field and make um look pilau. no need get into fights with the visitors. heckle and joke with them with tact, but there's still a level of sportsmanship you need to display.
blueeyedwolf wrote:Oh, and instead of the recommended pupu? We had a turkey dinner with Pasteles instead. It was yummy~ :mrgreen: :wub:
i hate you. :P now you got me all hungry.

anyways, like i said, the atmosphere should be pretty similar with washington. we GOTTA beat them. it makes me nervous how some people talking like 'who we playing in the bcs bowl already'. eh, we play NOBODY in the bcs if we no beat UW.

go warriors!
go wac!

sarcasstik
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by sarcasstik » Nov 28th, '07, 03:13

blueeyedwolf wrote:We were rolling on the floor when they dumped the ice water on June Jones before the game even ended. He looked pissed!! XD
jholic wrote: thas' why i like jj. he lets the players play, but he's not going to be jumping up and down when he knows there's still business to take care of. in the after-game interview on the field, he look like he LOST the game. i was like, 'gee, brah, at least SMILE little bit.'
I was cracking up too. I bet he'll be smiling if they win a bowl game though. Even the most stoic break down eventually. I was following a lot of PAC-10 games too this year before Cal started to suck (went there for my undergrad), and Tedford is usually cool like a cucumber. But when the QB Riley tried to run from the 15 yard line with no timeouts, 10 seconds left and a field goal coulda tied it, Tedford started to scream and throw things like the incredible Hulk.
jholic wrote: anyways, like i said, the atmosphere should be pretty similar with washington. we GOTTA beat them. it makes me nervous how some people talking like 'who we playing in the bcs bowl already'. eh, we play NOBODY in the bcs if we no beat UW.
Yeah, I think UW is a better team than their record indicates based on the games I've seen. Can't look past them.

The Boise St. game was awesome though!

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Nov 29th, '07, 01:29

sarcasstik wrote:I was following a lot of PAC-10 games too this year before Cal started to suck (went there for my undergrad), and Tedford is usually cool like a cucumber. But when the QB Riley tried to run from the 15 yard line with no timeouts, 10 seconds left and a field goal coulda tied it, Tedford started to scream and throw things like the incredible Hulk.
saw that game too. true frosh qb, right? felt a little bad for him, since he made such a huuuuge error on national tv. even i couldn't believe he thought he could scramble. didn't even seem like there was a hole at all. anyways, he'll improve. tedford makes pretty darn good qb's. aaron rodgers' a grad, right? i think favre is gigantic shoes to be filling, but he has a good chance.
sarcasstik wrote:Yeah, I think UW is a better team than their record indicates based on the games I've seen. Can't look past them.
most definitely. although i'm happy for hawaii, i'm concerned that the level of celebration is almost to the point like we already there. i wonder how many of these bandwagon fans show up to the 'hawaii bowl' if we :crazy: lose to wash? u-dub's a good team with size. it's just cuz they gotta play usc, oregon and all those other guys that their record is bad. i have no idea how they can be planning celebration parties and stuff.
sarcasstik wrote:The Boise St. game was awesome though!
oh, yeah it was! :wub: :cheers:

blueeyedwolf
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by blueeyedwolf » Nov 29th, '07, 04:44

jholic wrote:some of the local fans, especially when they drunk, forget that and they start behaving pretty bad. they get the idea like 'i paid for the ticket, so i can do what i like ... f the visitors, we no need them anyways.'

but that's poor judgment on their part. here we supposed to be the 'aloha state' and we not going represent that? that's wrong. i not saying we need for be quiet and sit down. we can be hostile, loud, aggressive, supportive, but still no need throw rubbish on the field and make um look pilau. no need get into fights with the visitors. heckle and joke with them with tact, but there's still a level of sportsmanship you need to display.
Totally! XD That's what was disturbing for me. I was like "oh man...imagine what the nation thinks of us now!" :crazy: But then again, I figure they probably were never taught to respect the aina as well as our visitors like most of us were. Or they plainly "no kea". I don't know. I just don't get people like that. Cuz when I go anywhere, be it Japan or the mainland, people always compliment me about my attitude. They tell me that I'm very respectful towards others and that they can almost see a glow coming out of me. I always tell them, "it's the aloha in me". So that's what bums me out when some locals can't even show aloha in their own backyard. It's quite sad actually. :cry: But I guess that's just the way they are...
jholic wrote:i hate you. :P now you got me all hungry.
LOL! *looks at the Nov 21 post by jholic* Payback!!! XD (j/k) :P And no worry. I ate enough Pasteles for you too~! ^^ Man Hime's mom can cook!!! XD *is getting hungry again*

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Nov 30th, '07, 04:26

well, BEW, it's awesome that you have that kind of attitude. i'm sure a lot of people respect that.

everyone, remember, SATURDAY NIGHT, go warriors!!

sarcasstik
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by sarcasstik » Dec 3rd, '07, 01:55

SUGAR BOWL, BABY!! :cheers:

jyori

Post by jyori » Dec 3rd, '07, 01:57

hi everyone, i was just wondering if any of you know
if there are any japanese bookstores in honolulu? my
cousin is going there next week and she said she could
get me a couple of stuff if i can find one :]

groink

Post by groink » Dec 3rd, '07, 03:19

jyori wrote:hi everyone, i was just wondering if any of you know
The one book store I go to is Hakubundo. It is on Kapiolani Blvd across from Ala Moana Center. It is somewhat of a hole-in-the-wall with a limited selection - as they focus mostly on magazines, instructional books and novels.

If you're looking for manga, have her go to Shirokiya in Ala Moana Center. They also sell used books of all sorts at a substantial discount, so maybe she should go there first if she's filling out a list.

--- groink

jyori

Post by jyori » Dec 3rd, '07, 03:34

groink wrote:
jyori wrote:hi everyone, i was just wondering if any of you know
The one book store I go to is Hakubundo. It is on Kapiolani Blvd across from Ala Moana Center. It is somewhat of a hole-in-the-wall with a limited selection - as they focus mostly on magazines, instructional books and novels.

If you're looking for manga, have her go to Shirokiya in Ala Moana Center. They also sell used books of all sorts at a substantial discount, so maybe she should go there first if she's filling out a list.

--- groink
oh alright :D thank you!!

groink

Post by groink » Dec 3rd, '07, 03:38

What did you guys think about the Hawai'i / Washington game????

I'm right now staying at the Makaha Resort on the Waianae side of O'ahu. Watched the game in a ballroom during a company X-mas dinner. By the end of the game, I developed a migraine headache, and ended up going to bed early. That game was SO INTENSE!!!!! And it took a toll on me!

So Hawai'i's going to match up with Georgia. Personally I think Georgia's going to pound Hawai'i. I'm going to give +14 to Georgia. I also predict that Colt Brennen will finish 3rd in the Heismen race, with Tim Tebow winning it. I believe that by being out of action since Thanksgiving, that'll help Tebow as he didn't damage his chances and keep that 4-game winning streak. McFadden should be 2nd, followed by Brennen. Chase Daniel screwed up by losing to Oklahoma TWICE in the same season. Pat White - having WV losing to Pitt like they did, and with very little offense production, will affect his rating.

--- groink

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Dec 6th, '07, 00:52

sarcasstik: what smells so sweet? it's the SUGAR BOWL, BABY!!!
groink wrote:What did you guys think about the Hawai'i / Washington game????
dude, i stayed up to 4:15 AM. it was crazy. i almost had a heart attack when they gave up 21 pts in the first five minutes. but i stuck with them for the whole game. it paid off. i was trying not for scream and jump and holler during the game, but was hard!!

i just heard the newspapers say that brennan's a finalist. i'm very happy for him. i also do not believe he's going to win. if he had LAST year's stats, with THIS year's record, he would be an automatic. no question. but i'm just glad he's gonna get an invite.

on paper, georgia should wipe the floor with hawaii. plus too, they pissed they never get the title game. but there's a reason they call it the wackity wac. i think hawaii get chance as long as they can move the offense. we not virginia tech. our defense isn't gonna shut out anybody. we need our offense to MOVE and PUT POINTS UP. the upside to the game is that we got nothing for lose! that's so different from how we felt for the last twelve games. we've had our back to the wall. now, there's nothing but for go for broke!

go warriors!!

blueeyedwolf
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by blueeyedwolf » Dec 6th, '07, 20:12

jyori wrote:
hi everyone, i was just wondering if any of you know

--- groink

oh alright Big Smile thank you!!
I normally go to Book Off in Shirokiya too. (Used to work there one summer while going to summer school at Manoa. ^^) They have an awesome selection of everything from mangas, books, magazines, to CDs, DVDs and other cool Japanese things.^^ Though everything is used, I think their prices are reasonable. They have a section that's all $1 too that I always stalk when I'm in town. ^^

There's another place near Daiei (not sure if that's the name still) right around the corner from Ala Moana. I think it's call "Nippon Books". It's another hole-in-the-wall used book store, but it's also pretty reasonable. I think their base price is $1.88 and up depending on the type of book. But ya, they have a huge collection to choose from too. You should check it out as well.^^

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Dec 8th, '07, 00:38

hey, just a reminder. colt brennan's on the heisman show this saturday. it's a very long shot that he'll win, but i'm very proud this adopted son of ours is representing hawaii. he's done so well and kept out of trouble as jj gave him a second chance. i still consider it a moral victory in itself that he was invited.

groink

Post by groink » Dec 8th, '07, 01:22

jholic wrote:hey, just a reminder. colt brennan's on the heisman show this saturday. it's a very long shot that he'll win, but i'm very proud this adopted son of ours is representing hawaii. he's done so well and kept out of trouble as jj gave him a second chance. i still consider it a moral victory in itself that he was invited.
Hey, do you think Tim Tebow will stay with Florida for his Junior year? Have you seen this guy? He's HUGE!!!!! No wonder the guy racked up 51 touchdowns. It's only Colt's luck to be matched up with Tim this year... Its like being the number-2 golfer in the world - and have to deal with Tiger.

Personally, I think part of the criteria for being the so-called "best player in football" is the success of the team you play for. Winning the conference title, being in a BCS bowl, etc. should count. I mean, look at the defensive player for Michigan who won the Heisman a few years ago. Imagine - a guy who plays DEFENSE won the Heisman! If just racking up scores separate Tim from Colt, then they should address what those scores amounted to. In Florida's case, not that much. Hawaii still finished higher than Florida in all but one poll. IMHO, the scores in which you rack up should amount to something.

--- groink

sakura.kw

Post by sakura.kw » Dec 8th, '07, 01:44

blueeyedwolf wrote:

--- groink

oh alright Big Smile thank you!!
I normally go to Book Off in Shirokiya too. (Used to work there one summer while going to summer school at Manoa. ^^) They have an awesome selection of everything from mangas, books, magazines, to CDs, DVDs and other cool Japanese things.^^ Though everything is used, I think their prices are reasonable. They have a section that's all $1 too that I always stalk when I'm in town. ^^

There's another place near Daiei (not sure if that's the name still) right around the corner from Ala Moana. I think it's call "Nippon Books". It's another hole-in-the-wall used book store, but it's also pretty reasonable. I think their base price is $1.88 and up depending on the type of book. But ya, they have a huge collection to choose from too. You should check it out as well.^^
Yup, that's another bookstore and I'm quite sure that they are still there...it's connected to Nippon Video....just a word of caution...don't go too far to the back of the room, you will be surprised and it may not be a pleasant one. I did that by mistake once. >.<

groink

Post by groink » Dec 8th, '07, 02:15

sakura.kw wrote:Yup, that's another bookstore and I'm quite sure that they are still there...it's connected to Nippon Video....just a word of caution...don't go too far to the back of the room, you will be surprised and it may not be a pleasant one. I did that by mistake once. >.<
Although I did know about that store, I didn't recommend it for one reason: they're bootleggers!!!! Other than the magazines, the porn and the manga, I wouldn't guarantee that everything else is official. For the heck of it, I bought a Misora Hibari DVD from there (took the risk seeing her stuff is rare.) It ended up being a dup. And they didn't even print on the label of the DVD - it was totally blank! Looking through their inventory now - it is clear that virtually all of their DVDs and VHS tapes are copies. And I'm not talking about the rental VHS tapes - their finished goods are copies. This may be a regular everyday thing for other parts of the mainland U.S. But for Hawaii, this isn't an everyday thing. Just watch yourself when shopping there.

--- groink

blueeyedwolf
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by blueeyedwolf » Dec 9th, '07, 23:40

sakura.kw wrote:Yup, that's another bookstore and I'm quite sure that they are still there...it's connected to Nippon Video....just a word of caution...don't go too far to the back of the room, you will be surprised and it may not be a pleasant one. I did that by mistake once.
LOL! Yeah, Setsuna and I did that once too come to think about it. (Though she voluntarily walked in, I accidentally did XD ) I completely forgot about that "back room" since I only stalk the manga sections... :P
groink wrote:Although I did know about that store, I didn't recommend it for one reason: they're bootleggers!!!! Other than the magazines, the porn and the manga, I wouldn't guarantee that everything else is official. For the heck of it, I bought a Misora Hibari DVD from there (took the risk seeing her stuff is rare.) It ended up being a dup. And they didn't even print on the label of the DVD - it was totally blank! Looking through their inventory now - it is clear that virtually all of their DVDs and VHS tapes are copies. And I'm not talking about the rental VHS tapes - their finished goods are copies. This may be a regular everyday thing for other parts of the mainland U.S. But for Hawaii, this isn't an everyday thing. Just watch yourself when shopping there.
They sell bootleggers?!O.O I didn't know that... I never buy video/DVD/CD stuff from them so I didn't know...this is good to know. Thanks for the heads up groink.^^ I'll make sure to warn my friends when they shop there too~^^

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Dec 10th, '07, 04:29

well, it looks like brennan took third. that's still an admirable accomplishment.
groink wrote:Hey, do you think Tim Tebow will stay with Florida for his Junior year? Have you seen this guy? He's HUGE!!!!! No wonder the guy racked up 51 touchdowns. It's only Colt's luck to be matched up with Tim this year... Its like being the number-2 golfer in the world - and have to deal with Tiger.
tebow has no choice but to stay. the nfl has stated that they will not accept sophomores or younger. (that was the whole maurice clarrett and that receiver who played for detroit - thing). so tebow will be happily throwing td's vs us next year (first game).

tebow's huge, but i think that jake locker dude is bigger.
groink wrote:Personally, I think part of the criteria for being the so-called "best player in football" is the success of the team you play for. Winning the conference title, being in a BCS bowl, etc. should count. I mean, look at the defensive player for Michigan who won the Heisman a few years ago. Imagine - a guy who plays DEFENSE won the Heisman! If just racking up scores separate Tim from Colt, then they should address what those scores amounted to. In Florida's case, not that much. Hawaii still finished higher than Florida in all but one poll. IMHO, the scores in which you rack up should amount to something.
it's tough to say. i think the team's success is already accounted for. i mean there's a ton of guys who really kick major butt on cr*ppy teams, but they never get to smell the heisman. look at jerry rice, randy moss, etc. who were prolific in college ball, but never got the heisman.

doesn't matter anyways. most heismans rarely do well in the nfl. it's mostly politics. i was just happy for colt since it's still an accomplishment and a nice achievement for all he's done. i think he's got a good chance in the nfl.

hey, anybody thinking of going to the hawaii bowl w/ boise state and cheering our fellow wac team on? :thumright:

sarcasstik
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by sarcasstik » Dec 11th, '07, 09:13

groink wrote: Personally, I think part of the criteria for being the so-called "best player in football" is the success of the team you play for. Winning the conference title, being in a BCS bowl, etc. should count. I mean, look at the defensive player for Michigan who won the Heisman a few years ago. Imagine - a guy who plays DEFENSE won the Heisman! If just racking up scores separate Tim from Colt, then they should address what those scores amounted to. In Florida's case, not that much. Hawaii still finished higher than Florida in all but one poll. IMHO, the scores in which you rack up should amount to something.
I agree. Tebow is huge, and he's talented, but I don't think he really deserved it. I actually kind of hope Michigan beats them in the whatever bowl? If I was voting based on "winning doesn't really matter but we just want to know who the most valuable college player is" I'm not too sure that I would put Tebow above Dennis Dixon even. I mean, Oregon basically fell apart without him. Before he got injured, people were talking NC. But it's all political, so what can you do anyway? It's cool that someone outside the BCS even got recognized as a finalist though.
jholic wrote: tebow's huge, but i think that jake locker dude is bigger.
Yeah, and fast. If he learns how to control his 90 mph fast ball arm, he'll be a pretty darn good quarterback in my estimation.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Dec 12th, '07, 05:39

sarcasstik wrote:
groink wrote:Personally, I think part of the criteria for being the so-called "best player in football" is the success of the team you play for.
I agree. Tebow is huge, and he's talented, but I don't think he really deserved it. I actually kind of hope Michigan beats them in the whatever bowl? If I was voting based on "winning doesn't really matter but we just want to know who the most valuable college player is" I'm not too sure that I would put Tebow above Dennis Dixon even. I mean, Oregon basically fell apart without him. Before he got injured, people were talking NC. But it's all political, so what can you do anyway? It's cool that someone outside the BCS even got recognized as a finalist though.
i like dixon too. i think he should have gotten a better chance at it, but unfortunately, the heisman is not the mvp. dixon was definitely the mvp for ncaa2007, but i'm not sure about the heisman. heisman is for the 'best collegiate player', but it's fk'd up in a sense that it's usually just qb's, rb's and wr's. what about defensive players? what about dominant offensive linemen? let's face it, the heisman's basically an exciting player that shows up on tv a lot on a good team with a great marketing campaign.
sarcasstik wrote:
jholic wrote:tebow's huge, but i think that jake locker dude is bigger.
Yeah, and fast. If he learns how to control his 90 mph fast ball arm, he'll be a pretty darn good quarterback in my estimation.
would love to play them again in the next three years, and i'm sure they'd love to have another crack at us. we'll see how locker does without rankin. though i feel he'll be fine.

so anybody you guys know going to the sugar bowl?

honestly, i'd really like to go because if you think about it, how many times in our lifetime is hawaii actually going to get into the bcs? and this will be our FIRST EVER. it's something you can tell your grandkids about.

money wouldn't be an issue, but i'm kicking out over $1200 to fly back for the holidays. then i'd have to dish out another $2k for louisiana and back? sorry, but i want to be able to afford a roof over my head for this upcoming year.

but i heard a lot of people are going!

sarcasstik
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by sarcasstik » Dec 18th, '07, 19:43

jholic wrote: so anybody you guys know going to the sugar bowl?

honestly, i'd really like to go because if you think about it, how many times in our lifetime is hawaii actually going to get into the bcs? and this will be our FIRST EVER. it's something you can tell your grandkids about.

money wouldn't be an issue, but i'm kicking out over $1200 to fly back for the holidays. then i'd have to dish out another $2k for louisiana and back? sorry, but i want to be able to afford a roof over my head for this upcoming year.

but i heard a lot of people are going!
I wish I could go too. The packages advertised by Hawaiian and Aloha are like $3500+, which includes the hotel and game ticket. But seriously, 4K (after counting spending money)? I'm just a poor grad student. :blink

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Dec 22nd, '07, 10:56

i heard the prices for the sheraton hawaii bowl dropped to half price.

sarcasstik: it would have been pretty cool if the university could have gotten a discount pkg for students to attend the game. after all, this is a COLLEGE bowl game and the college students from both universities should have a pretty fair chance to attend. i can imagine how hard it must be for east carolina students to afford trips to hawaii.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Dec 23rd, '07, 20:47

anyone going to the sheraton hawaii bowl? in about five hours, i'll be there, cheering our fellow wac comrades on. unlike some other colleges, i actually like boise state, even though they're one of our fiercest rivals.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Dec 25th, '07, 20:28

mele kalikimaka and hauoli makahiki hou to all here!!

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Dec 28th, '07, 12:08

i heard from someone that it's close to meiohsetsuna's birthday? happy birthday, meioh!

meiohsetsuna
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by meiohsetsuna » Dec 29th, '07, 11:38

Ack! Who snooping the StandUp threads? 8)

Me birthday is in two weeks... :alcoholic:

Thanks for the wishes... I am 21 again! :mrgreen:

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jan 1st, '08, 04:08

mele kalikimaka & hauoli maka hiki hou to everyone!

root for the warriors in the sugar bowl tomorrow!!

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jan 5th, '08, 14:55

ah, shucks. a disappointing end to a great season. i wasn't so much disappointed at the score as i was the lack of effort by the offensive side of the ball. i felt they ran out of enthusiasm and energy very early in the game. hopefully, the warriors will be able to build on this game.

meiohsetsuna
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by meiohsetsuna » Jan 5th, '08, 19:39

I personally didnt care for the refs.

Felt awful sorry for the main quarterback tho... they really pounded him. :cry:

Goodluck to them next year!

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jan 8th, '08, 02:56

... and we're going to need luck next year. june jones is leaving for smu. uh is in huuuuuge trouble - and frazier should be fired.

i agree that the refs were not helping. several OBVIOUS calls completely blown.

meioh, 'pounded' is a very nice term for the beating brennan took. i think it definitely affected his decision-making later in the game.

personally, it would be nice to have a good name like norm chow take over the program. perhaps the admin will learn it's lesson? but i doubt it.

murdocknakashima

Post by murdocknakashima » Jan 13th, '08, 01:31

To keep up-to-date with everything going on with the UH football program, you guys should check the Warrior Beat blog from the Honolulu Advertiser site.

All indicators point that Greg McMackin (the defensive coordinator this past season ... and back in '99 ... coincidentally, the only two seasons that UH won the WAC title under Jones) will be named the HC this coming Wednesday. Still no talk about who will replace Frazier. Looks like it will be Jim Donovan (the guy that started the Hawaii Bowl because UH got screwed out of a bowl game back when they thrashed #9 BYU and finished 9-4), but Dick Tomey's name is still floating around. I doubt Tomey will get the job, even if he showed interest though, because he initially applied back when Frazier got the job ... would look bad because it shows that the administration should've hired him in the first place. Oh well.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jan 22nd, '08, 03:08

how did i miss this post?

anyways, thanks for joining the discussion, murdock.

i'm glad to hear frazier is gone. i can't think of any accomplishments he's done while he was there, and i heard his track record with uab wasn't stellar either.

after reviewing all the candidates, i think mcmackin is the coach for us. i do not have a high opinion of cal lee, so i don't think he could lead the team. gilbride is still coaching the ny giants (in super bowl), so we couldn't wait for him. and i was VERY disappointed that chow did not even apply for the position. i think he would have been perfect, but his absence from the candidate list kind of showed that he did not want to be our coach. ironically, he's fired from tennessee a few days later.

anyways, although i think mcmackin is a decent candidate, i think we are paying him a bit too much. jones made about $800k and stood to get a WELL-DESERVED raise to about $1.5 mil. mcmackin hasn't done anything, but he's getting $1.1mil. i'm not so sure we should have jumped the gun on that.

one jewel in the recruiting class is the cb from utah. but i don't see anyone else that's outstanding (from the mainland). it's got me a bit worried.

murdocknakashima

Post by murdocknakashima » Jan 27th, '08, 17:31

anyways, although i think mcmackin is a decent candidate, i think we are paying him a bit too much. jones made about $800k and stood to get a WELL-DESERVED raise to about $1.5 mil. mcmackin hasn't done anything, but he's getting $1.1mil. i'm not so sure we should have jumped the gun on that.
Yes, admin may have offered a bit much to Big Mack, but I think UH did make the right decision with not trying to low ball him like they did with Jones. One offer and get it out of the way.

In two years, though, we should see what McMackin can really do. Back in '99 he was coaching up Von Appen's recruits and this past year, Glanville's. Based on the recruiting class this year we'll see how we'll do. It seems to me that he's more keen on speed than size. I know that was one of his biggest adjustments to the roster when he joined in '99 and '07 ... he shifted guys around to maximize on the overall defensive speed ... also rotating a lot of the players to keep them fresh (and giving them much needed PT that will greatly help them this upcoming season).

As much as Jones has done for the program, I'm not too heart-broken over him leaving. It seems that most of the bigger recruits were brought in from Coach Miano. Jones hardly made any house calls and it was Miano doing most of the legwork with that.

Recruiting wise we'll have a very good idea of how the team will look after this weekend. It's reported that there are roughly 15 guys in this weekend for an official recruiting trip. We already lost Levi Bo-Mitchell, but we should be able to recruit much more local talent and mainland Polynesian talent. I have a lot of confidence that we'll finish bowl-eligible at the end of next season. Hopefully we can bring in a Juco transfer QB to compliment Graunke.
i was VERY disappointed that chow did not even apply for the position. i think he would have been perfect, but his absence from the candidate list kind of showed that he did not want to be our coach. ironically, he's fired from tennessee a few days later.
I was actually surprised that he took the job at UCLA. I figured he may look for an NFL job since he only needed to coach one more year to be eligible for the league's pension benefits. Maybe not as an OC, but at least as a QB coach. Jeff Fisher really screwed him over though by not even giving him notice that they were going to let him go.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jan 29th, '08, 04:59

woah, a guy who really knows his football. glad you're here! :)
murdocknakashima wrote:Yes, admin may have offered a bit much to Big Mack, but I think UH did make the right decision with not trying to low ball him like they did with Jones. One offer and get it out of the way.
great point. i thought they could have been fancy with a $900k contract loaded w/ incentives, but you're right, w/ the hoopla, they would've looked a bit silly.
murdocknakashima wrote:In two years, though, we should see what McMackin can really do. Back in '99 he was coaching up Von Appen's recruits and this past year, Glanville's. Based on the recruiting class this year we'll see how we'll do. It seems to me that he's more keen on speed than size. I know that was one of his biggest adjustments to the roster when he joined in '99 and '07 ... he shifted guys around to maximize on the overall defensive speed ... also rotating a lot of the players to keep them fresh (and giving them much needed PT that will greatly help them this upcoming season).
and like you've mentioned, i think he's already shown success. our defense has rarely been dominant over any season, but each time mac's been here, we've done VERY well. based on what i've seen, no one's gonna throw the ball on us. i think i counted six new db's on the commit list. that's like an entire dime pkg.

i hope i don't ruffle your feathers, but i am not at all keen on cal lee. i don't think he's that great of a coach, and every time he's mentioned as a head coaching candidate, i shudder. honestly, if you watch the lb's (which he's in charge of), they're not that great. mac came in and had ulbrich (sf) and tinoisamoa (stl). since then, cal's been in charge of the lb's and who has been good. adam leonard? oddly, mac came back....

i'm also a bit skeptical about all these young alums that they're hiring as asst coaches. yes, they know the system, but ron lee's system is a bit different and it's good to have a mixture of experience. what do you think?

one thing we're missing is a good qb recruit. i'm not really worried just yet since we've got graunke and funaki backing him up. that should be at least a year or two. people may say mac's got a few years to show what he can do, but the realistic timeline is shorter than that. let's face it, we went to the sugar bowl. expectations are high. if mac falters badly in his first season, the recruiting will be more difficult than now.

but you can bet your butt i'll be up at 2am in the morn cheering them on! imua warriors!

murdocknakashima

Post by murdocknakashima » Jan 29th, '08, 07:40

i'm also a bit skeptical about all these young alums that they're hiring as asst coaches. yes, they know the system, but ron lee's system is a bit different and it's good to have a mixture of experience. what do you think?
I think having these young guys as coaches are fine so long they previously ran/were under the same system. Although, Hawaii will be running the R&S, it won't be the same was when Jones was here. I know that the WR's will have more responsibilities with reading coverages and the QB has to have a quick release. OLine blocking schemes will be made easier for them by just having them focus on the guy in front of them. They will be doing less zone blocking so it'll be up to the wideouts and qb to recognize blitzes at the line. What should help a lot more is that Hawaii will run the ball more. Pilares isn't as explosive as George Ornellas (remember him?), but at least Ron Lee has some experience with working with smaller backs. I know they prefer bigger backs like Chris Fuatamu-Maafala, but give them one more year to recruit (had a bit of a late start this year with uncertainty of position coaches) and they should do fine.

My biggest concern this year is depth at QB and WR. It's a good thing we had enough blowout games earlier in the year that Salas, Lane, and Linkler could play. Actually, depending on how the development of Farmer and LWJ works out, Pilares might be able to move to slot next season. But I am concerned that Funaki is the only back-up to Graunke. The good thing about those two is that they are both mobile so that should help a little more with faster defenses.

It seems we also "lost" out on another Juco QB, Kevin Craft. UCLA picked him up. Wasn't a real loss, since he never actually verbally commited to UH. No other words on who UH is eyeing out for a Juco QB. Mack and Miano did make a mainland visit last weekend, but right now, aren't allowed to say anything about recruits unless they verbally commited.

I think if they can stay somewhere in the neighborhood of .500 next season and depending on how they end the season, I don't think recruiting will take that big of a hit. Especially if improvements really start going in motion with the facilities. But like I said, I'm confident that we should finish bowl-eligible next season. I know there is a big contingency going up to Gainesville next year and we should sell out of our allotment.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Feb 1st, '08, 01:25

murdocknakashima wrote:What should help a lot more is that Hawaii will run the ball more. Pilares isn't as explosive as George Ornellas (remember him?), but at least Ron Lee has some experience with working with smaller backs. I know they prefer bigger backs like Chris Fuatamu-Maafala, but give them one more year to recruit (had a bit of a late start this year with uncertainty of position coaches) and they should do fine.
i do remember ornellas, but did he last long? i thought he left very quickly?

anyways, it will be interesting to see how they do at offense with more of a running game. i think one advantage is having a full time play-caller. jj called his own plays and i think that limited him. ron may be able to mix it up more.
My biggest concern this year is depth at QB and WR. ....... But I am concerned that Funaki is the only back-up to Graunke. The good thing about those two is that they are both mobile so that should help a little more with faster defenses.
i'm not worried about graunke. i know many warrior fans would kill me, but at times he played better than colt. he just needed more game experience, and he's gonna get it.
It seems we also "lost" out on another Juco QB, Kevin Craft. UCLA picked him up. ..... but right now, aren't allowed to say anything about recruits unless they verbally commited.
you can see the list of verbal commits on tsai's blog on the advertiser. i think the bigger loss was that wr snipes. i was hoping he'd come in to be the next lelie.
I don't think recruiting will take that big of a hit. Especially if improvements really start going in motion with the facilities. But like I said, I'm confident that we should finish bowl-eligible next season.
i'm a pessimist. it worries me that we are not able to get a commit from a good qb right after an undefeated season and going to the sugar bowl. reality says we will not perform as well next year, so i can't imagine us improving our chances of landing a qb.

they just posted the AD opening. who do you think is going to get it? i know a lot of hype has been placed on the fball program, but the AD needs to consider ALL aspects of uh sports. our women's softball team did quite well and it didn't even cause a blip.

murdocknakashima

Post by murdocknakashima » Feb 2nd, '08, 00:02

First off, jholic ... what part of Hawaii were you from and where you living now? Just curious.
i do remember ornellas, but did he last long? i thought he left very quickly?
He actually did play for Hawaii, but only for one season. Then he transferred to Iowa State. Can't blame him because the team was terrible. If he stayed on, he would've gotten killed.

That'll probably be the biggest change with RL's offense ... a more "balanced" attack. I'm thinking it'll probably be a 65/35 or 60/40 pass/run split. I don't think he'll chuck it down field too much though.
i'm not worried about graunke. i know many warrior fans would kill me, but at times he played better than colt. he just needed more game experience, and he's gonna get it.
I think that's what a lot of "arm-chair" fans forgot ... Graunke was the original starter back in the 2005 season before Colt eventually took over in the season opener that year. All I can say is that he showed a whole lot of guts in that Nevada game. I think that's a game that he'll never forget.

We have another "commit" as of today ... Steve Christian, but a big loss on special teams ... Guyton Caldeira. Whole bunch of defensive recruits this season. Also, word is we got another 20 recruits making a visit this weekend with only 5 offers left. Should be a very interesting weekend. Check out Tsai's blog on Monday. He'll have a pretty accurate list of who is committing.

My best guess for AD and AAD is the combo of Jim Donovan/Keith Amemiya or Rick Blangiardi/Keith Amemiya. Neither Donovan or Blangiardi verbally expressed interest for the position, but I think either man should do the job well.

Donovan should be a good fit because he was previously an Associate AD ... back in the Yoshida days. He's done wonderful things with the Hawaii Bowl. I think he's pretty innovative and well-connected in the community.

I like Blangiardi's business sense. He's also pretty loyal to his people. Another well-connected guy. I think he's a long shot though. I don't see him leaving Emmis to take over the AD job. I like Donovan's odds better ... more so because his wife is already affiliated with the athletic department.

I like Amemiya for Associate AD because of his work with the HHSAA. If he can manage high school athletics, he can handle UH. I'm sure his operating budget is much less than what UH has to offer with just as much red tape. I think under the UH system long enough, he could become a great AD in the future.

I hope with all the attention that the legislature is giving the UHAD, it should be a prime opportunity for anyone wanting to move up within the system. It's already a given that Clapp isn't going to take over since he's from the previous "regime." I'm almost certain no one from the current staff will be bumped up to take that role.

Who do you like for the job?

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Feb 7th, '08, 04:51

murdocknakashima wrote:First off, jholic ... what part of Hawaii were you from and where you living now? Just curious.
wassup, murdock. i'm from honolulu (near the stadium side) and now living in the east coast (near dc). where are you?
That'll probably be the biggest change with RL's offense ... a more "balanced" attack. I'm thinking it'll probably be a 65/35 or 60/40 pass/run split. I don't think he'll chuck it down field too much though.
it's going to be tough to gauge. i would prefer the old jj style of 90/10 or 80/20. 75/25 would be nice. i'm not all about the pass, but i think jj realized hawaii did not have the players to execute a good running game. we might be able to pull it off vs idaho, new mexico, etc. but vs florida? usc? even boise st? i really think we need to be very pass heavy, but run when the opportunity presents itself.
I think that's what a lot of "arm-chair" fans forgot ... Graunke was the original starter back in the 2005 season before Colt eventually took over in the season opener that year. All I can say is that he showed a whole lot of guts in that Nevada game. I think that's a game that he'll never forget.
i was very impressed by the nevada game as well. he didn't have spectacular stats, but the one that counted: NO interceptions. barring unforeseen circumstances, he should be our starter next season. funaki might surprise, but i don't see any of the recruits taking over this offense quickly. graunke won't have the four wr's colt had, but he will have a heck of a defense!
We have another "commit" as of today ... Steve Christian, but a big loss on special teams ... Guyton Caldeira. Whole bunch of defensive recruits this season.
db's up the wazoo. the 2 good lb's from kahuku too. i'd be really stoked if we can get that one big qb they're talking about from cali? 6'5, 240. if you like seeing the recruits of schools, you should check out rivals . com, run by yahoo. first day of LOI was today.
My best guess for AD and AAD is the combo of Jim Donovan/Keith Amemiya or Rick Blangiardi/Keith Amemiya. Neither Donovan or Blangiardi verbally expressed interest for the position, but I think either man should do the job well.
i'm gonna defer to your expertise on the AD/AAD. i met amemiya in person before, and maybe he had a bad day, but didn't seem too personable. but if he does a good job, i think we could work on his people skills. i also met wagner in person, and he's very professional. didn't seem condescending. but good coaches don't always make good ADs. i know he was AD for kamehameha schools, but i wonder about uh.

anyone following the basketball or vball?

murdocknakashima

Post by murdocknakashima » Feb 8th, '08, 05:36

Sorry gang for "hogging" this thread with jholic (I'll PM you my thoughts on the sports situation) ... so to get off of sports for a while ...

what do you guys think of the proposed 24 hour traffic channel (on the am dial) and the fixed guide rail from Kapolei to Ala Moana? I know a lot of the east side folks are somewhat pissy that it doesn't include them stating that they are paying taxes for this project, but they are kind of forgetting that the west side folks paid taxes for the H3 that mostly benefited the east siders. I live in town, so either way, I don't use either project enough to make up for my tax payer money.

I would actually prefer that the C&C sets up a toll system for the west side guys for not carpooling. I understand that families have different situations, but I highly doubt that every family needs to have one car per person (it sure seems like that when you drive to the west side during rush hour traffic). My proposed toll system would only cost non-carpooling (different rates for cars with less than 4 passengers ... 4 or more ride free) commuters and all the monies raised could either go to mass transit or fixing those death traps that the C&C calls roads. With the toll system, no new roads will have to be constructed, just a toll booth. The easiest place to put it is right after the Waimalu offramp west bound. That way, it wouldn't affect the Aiea/PC residents (which far outnumber the residents that live past that point). The state and C&C needs to do something to get more cars off of the road because it seems like cars are just multiplying as each year passes.

Ideally, I'd like the C&C to set up a subway system kind of like Japan. My only fear is that if we could get funding and actually go through with that, I don't think they'd be able to maintain it. Doesn't seem like they can maintain anything nowadays.

Any thoughts on this?

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Feb 16th, '08, 05:26

well, it doesn't look like anyone else is replying, so you can groan cuz here i am again.

the traffic situation in hawaii needs to improve (stating the obvious). a toll system would be a way to begin. anyone who's been to dc, japan, nyc, or another major city with a good subway or rail system knows its benefits. i really think hawaii could use it.

i remember in high school (waaaaaaaay back), we could jump into my friend's car on a saturday and go from stadium to waikiki w/o much traffic. nowadays, you're lucky if you can make it under an hour. traffic is horrendous, and i think a train system would help alleviate the problem.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Feb 18th, '08, 05:08

oh, btw, i don't know if anyone listens to his music, but i just finished watching a concert with jake shimabukuro (ukulele virtuoso). he's in dc playing with the usaf band and he has gotten better. i've watched and met him a number of times around hawaii, but this concert was a treat. it goes without saying that jake wow'd everyone with his uke skills, but give a ton of credit to the usaf band who complimented his music flawlessly.

hawaii represent! (even in the east coast....)

groink

Post by groink » Feb 18th, '08, 09:08

jholic wrote:oh, btw, i don't know if anyone listens to his music, but i just finished watching a concert with jake shimabukuro (ukulele virtuoso).
I had dinner with him and his lady friend about six month or so ago. We ate at Momomo on Waialae Ave. Interesting considering she and I dressed up, but he wore baggy jeans and a t-shirt. :roll

My dad was a semi-professional ukulele player. He played along with guys like Otousan, Peter Moon, among others. And I can play the ukulele myself - although much of what I can play are either WWII battle songs my dad taught me, or songs from guys like Sunday Manoa (Pua Lilia, for example.) With that, I'm more of a traditionalist when it comes to the ukulele. Although Jake can play the traditional songs, I wish he would focus more on that than the heavy metal/fusion ukulele. He appeared on NHK's Live in Shibuya a few months ago, and I was displeased that he didn't play the really nice Hawaiian songs he used to play when he was with Pure Heart.

--- groink

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Feb 19th, '08, 05:00

groink wrote:I had dinner with him and his lady friend about six month or so ago. We ate at Momomo on Waialae Ave. Interesting considering she and I dressed up, but he wore baggy jeans and a t-shirt. :roll
ha, and that's how he showed up to the concert. even the announcer made a (nice) remark about it. hey, i would've done the same thing. you can take the boy out of hawaii....
groink wrote:Although Jake can play the traditional songs, I wish he would focus more on that than the heavy metal/fusion ukulele. He appeared on NHK's Live in Shibuya a few months ago, and I was displeased that he didn't play the really nice Hawaiian songs he used to play when he was with Pure Heart.
another friend of mine made the same comment. it's a tough issue. jake has taken ukulele playing to a new level that i almost feel as if he's had to make that tough choice. one thing that i'm most proud of is that many music-lovers (here on the mainland) look at the ukulele as a (i don't want to say subpar, but) recreational instrument. jake has shown that he can play anything on that ukulele. i was waiting for the rap and hip-hop songs to bust out. he played country, bluegrass, rock, anthems, etc. everyone was quite impressed.

i love hawaiian music, so i hope no one takes this as disrespect, but i really don't think jake could have gone as far as he has by mainly playing hawaiian music. i'm sure some will disagree. it also doesn't help that he's not a good singer.

in any case, i know jake has hawaii in his heart, and i'm very proud of how he represents hawaii and the ukulele. but it would be nice if he strummed some good ol hawaiian songs every so often.

groink

Post by groink » Feb 19th, '08, 05:03

Just found out that Jake will be on Conan O'Brien Tueday. If any of you haven't seen him play, now is the time to catch him.

--- groink

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Aug 20th, '08, 23:10

anyone watching colt brennan, now of the redskins?

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Aug 29th, '08, 01:09

i hardly see the dude around here anymore, but a happy birthday goes out to groink.

hope you're doing well wherever you are. have a good one, bruddah!

groink

Post by groink » Aug 29th, '08, 04:20

jholic wrote:i hardly see the dude around here anymore, but a happy birthday goes out to groink.

hope you're doing well wherever you are. have a good one, bruddah!
Thanks bruddah! I'm going to spend me b-day by:

1. Taking a day off from work!

2. Do some shopping at Hakubundo and Ala Moana (Kokiku time!!!)

3. Pick up Saburo and Kayoko, and do some serious sushi at Mitch's Fish Market. Not sure if I'll try the uni just yet.

4. KARAOKE!!!!!!

--- groink

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Sep 8th, '08, 23:04

uh sports fans?

i understand getting pummeled by florida, but falling behind to weber state was pretty bad. mcmack needs to put more stability at the qb position. i'm glad graunke came around.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Oct 16th, '08, 04:26

hey, so anyone got opinions on uh's chances vs boise state this fri?