Need your help - 10 question poll about jdrama

Talk about the culture and entertainment from Nihon.
rika-ika

Need your help - 10 question poll about jdrama

Post by rika-ika » Nov 20th, '07, 05:12

Hi,
for my japanese class I need to do a presentation and report about jdrama. Therefore I have to know other than mine opinion on jdrama, so if somebody has a little bit time, please take part and help me. :salut:

How often do you watch jdrama?

What kind of jdrama do you like?
(ex. drama, love, comedy, fighting, relationships, family, law, hospital and so on)

Beside jdrama, which other TV series do you watch?
(ex. American, Korean)

Why do you like jdrama? What´s the difference between other TV series?

Do you watch jdrama because a favorite actress/actor is taking part? If yes who is your favorite?

Do you have a most favorite jdrama? Which one?

Does somebody in your family watch jdrama too? If yes, who? How about your friends?

Recently many manga are made into jdrama, do you feel like reading the manga, if you like the jdrama?

After watching the jdrama on TV or Internet, do you plan to buy the DVDs?

Which country are you from?

Thank you!
Thank you!
Thank you for taking part!

zenitse

Post by zenitse » Nov 20th, '07, 11:15

1. Difficult to say. Sometimes I watch several episodes a day, sometimes I don't watch anything for a week.

2. Drama, Comedy, Romance, Mystery

3. Recently I started watching Korean series. And anime.

4. Just...that I like it? I can't think of a better reason, I just like the settings (I like Japan), the actors, the stories .. and for example American series don't attract me. Therefore jdorama.

5. No, I prefer choosing series to get based on synopsis/genre.

6. Probably Sekai no Chuushin de, Ai wo Sakebu.

7. Nobody in the family. And very few friends do. Many people in this country watch just American series and others which are on TV. Nobody knows asian dramas here.

8. No, I have never done this.

9. No, I don't. They are not sold here and shipping from America/Japan would cost me a fortune.

10. Czech Republic.

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Re: Need your help - 10 question poll about jdrama

Post by Keiko1981 » Nov 20th, '07, 11:48

rika-ika wrote:Hi,
for my japanese class I need to do a presentation and report about jdrama. Therefore I have to know other than mine opinion on jdrama, so if somebody has a little bit time, please take part and help me. :salut:
Daily

(ex. drama, love, comedy, fighting, relationships, family, law, hospital and so on)
Drama, love

(ex. American, Korean)
American: Dr. House

The seasons are shorter, usually about 11 episodes.
And the series isn't (usually?) as soap-opera like - He/she cheats etc etc.

Do you watch jdrama because a favorite actress/actor is taking part? If yes who is your favorite?
Most of the time I'll choose jdramas that I watch upon the summary of the serie. If it sounds interesting I'll watch it.

This is so hard, do I only get to choose one?
1. Koukou Kyoushi 2003

Does somebody in your family watch jdrama too? If yes, who? How about your friends?
No one else.

Recently many manga are made into jdrama, do you feel like reading the manga, if you like the jdrama?
It has been the other way around for me, I've recently read Life, the 5 first volumes. I was a little disappointed with the manga. Not liking the art style that much. But I loved the jdrama. Very good.

I would consider buying some series if they had English sub and were sold for a fair price.
Titles I would be interested in are: 1 Litre of Tears, Koukou Kyoushi 2003 and Asunaro Hakusho.

Sweden

battlegirlai

Post by battlegirlai » Nov 20th, '07, 12:02

1. How often do you watch jdrama?
usually every day

2.What kind of jdrama do you like?
comedy, action, drama, mystery

3.Beside jdrama, which other TV series do you watch?
I also watch American (Bones, Chuck, Law&Order,etc), British(Dr Who, Torchwood, Are you being served?, Waiting for God, etc), Chinese(KO One, Pawnshop No8, Ying Ye 3+1, Devil Beside You, etc), Canadian (Due South, Forever Knight, Earth:Final Conflict, etc), and Korean shows (Coffee Prince, Legend, Great Inheritance, Goong S, etc).

4.Why do you like jdrama? What´s the difference between other TV series?
I watch it because i like the stories and acting. I don't think its so very different from TV anywhere else in the world. Its just more stories and characters to enjoy.

5.Do you watch jdrama because a favorite actress/actor is taking part? If yes who is your favorite?
do i watch only jdramas with my favorite actors and actresses in it? no, i watch pretty much any show that has a plot that strikes my interest. If a show has actors and actresses that i like, yes, i'm more likely to check it out even if the plot doesn't sound too interesting. a good actor or actress can make a show worth watching. I like Atsuro Watabe, Ryoko Shinohara, Goro Kishitani, Ken Ishiguro, etc.

6.Do you have a most favorite jdrama? Which one?
i have many favorite dramas. I can't say i have one that tops any others tho. some of my top favorites are Keizoku, Saiyuuki, Ai Nante Irane Yo Natsu, Galileo, Remote, Kindaichi and Psychometrer Eiji.

7.Does somebody in your family watch jdrama too? If yes, who? How about your friends?
my sister, brother, and nieces watch jdramas. most of my friends watch it too.

8.Recently many manga are made into jdrama, do you feel like reading the manga, if you like the jdrama?
mangas being turned into jdramas is not a recent thing by any means. all thru the 80s and 90s there were many many shows that were based off manga series. that being said, yes, if i enjoy a series and haven't read the manga, i usually check it out. if i have read a manga and enjoyed it, i will usually check out the series.

9.After watching the jdrama on TV or Internet, do you plan to buy the DVDs?
absolutely. i purchase them more readily if they are available with english subs, if its a show i really enjoy a lot but doesn't come with english subs, i'll usually buy it anyway.

10.Which country are you from?
USA

Vercinex

Post by Vercinex » Nov 20th, '07, 13:04

1.How often do you watch jdrama?
Twice a day
Not especially
Amerika,Korea,Taiwan,and Chinesse
I don't know for sure, but it's maybe i'am like all about japanese more than other i like
the different is plot more real and suitable in "East Culture".
5.Do you watch jdrama because a favorite actress/actor is taking part? If yes who is your favorite?
Yes, sometimes.
My favorite actress - Masami nagasawa & Erika sawajiri
My favorite actor - Naohito fujiki & Abe hiroshi
Yes i've, Prodai
7.Does somebody in your family watch jdrama too? If yes, who? How about your friends?
No, most of my friends watched it
8.Recently many manga are made into jdrama, do you feel like reading the manga, if you like the jdrama?
Not
Yes, if i liked those dorama
Indonesia

Hanazawa Rui

Post by Hanazawa Rui » Nov 20th, '07, 13:30

everyday

all kinds

(ex. American, Korean)
Yes i watch Korean

well if u compare them to American series i say jdramas r the best ........ each drama has a different story ..........

Yes.... Jin .... Kame... Yamapi.... Toma... Ryo... Shige ... Junno ... and alot more

Nobuta wo produce
HYD
kurosagi
gokusen 1n 2
1 litre of tears
Anego
THNK

yes .. ma sisooo but not that much.... and ma friends

No

No

United Arab Emirates

RevRuby

Post by RevRuby » Nov 20th, '07, 13:33

almost daily. between dorama and anime my compy is always running

so far love, comedy, drama

british, some korean and some chinese, occaisionally i actuallly watch american tv

it is very helpful since i am studying japanese, but also i find american tv runs in cycles, most of the shows don't end til they are unpopular, and that can take years. since the dorama i watch is mostly based on manga it all ends, at least the ones i've seen so far, and without me becoming bored

i do follow a few, just aboout the whole cast of hana yori dango

hana yori dango 1&2

my b/f watches with me, sometimes my kids. altho they and my best friend prefer anime.

of course! and if i had th emoney i'd buy them! i can't stand reading manga online tho... so it would have to be licensed in the US and then be cheap cause i broke reaising a family and all

if i could find them in wal-mart.

the U.S.
Last edited by RevRuby on Nov 21st, '07, 13:33, edited 1 time in total.

Taiyou no ao

Post by Taiyou no ao » Nov 20th, '07, 13:39

Usually every day

Any kind of drama, if it sounds interesting I'll watch it

(ex. American, Korean)
Taiwan (Hana Kimi & It started with a kiss)

The dramas are shorter and usually doesn't go on for season after season but stops after 1 or 2 seasons and a couple of specials and maybe a movie.

Yes ussually I watch the dramas form my favorit actor but I also watch dramas that I think have a good stoy that interests me. My favorite actor is Yamashita Tomohisa

1 litre of tears

No, my parent doesn't understand English so they sadly can't watch them even if they wanted to. And I don't think that any of my friends are even interested in watching any.

No

If they were to be released with English subtitles the yes I might consider buying them if they weren't too expensive

Sweden

Maryvel

Post by Maryvel » Nov 20th, '07, 14:06

Practically every day

Romance and comedy, but I'd watch anything as long as it catches my attention.

Mostly American, Dr. House, Grey's Anatomy, Charmed, Queer as folk...

The length, mostly they run just for one or two seasons, but in exchange the episodes are longer.
Also the stories and characters are different, they value different things more and solve their problems in another way compared to American shows.

Yes, Ikuta Toma, Shibasaki Kou, Tsumabuki Satoshi and Takizawa Hideaki just to name a few.

Strawberry on the Shortcake, Orange Days

Only one friend and she's Japanese. Other than that I'm all alone with my addiction.

No, not really, because I'd feel like I already know the story.

No

Austria

marspeach

Post by marspeach » Nov 20th, '07, 21:09

Everyday now. It used to be a couple times a week.

Pretty much anything if it's good, except just fighting/action without story and sports. Not into sports. Also disease stories are not my thing although I've seen some.

Except for the British Doctor Who and Torchwood, just American shows- Heroes, Ugly Betty, Chuck, Pushing Daisies, Law and Order, Project Runway

It's a lot different from American shows. I don't know. I just started watching a little bit and got hooked.

Sometimes just out of curiosity but really just for the story.

Just one? I don't know, Trick I guess.

Some people in my Japanese class but no one I really know (except over the internet, obviously) watches as much as I do. My dad only saw the first episode of My Boss My Hero, which he liked.

No. I don't read manga or watch anime anymore, except for Fruits Basket.

I wish I could but it's not worth the money to me without subs since I still have a mediocre understanding of Japanese.

USA

nell123

Post by nell123 » Nov 20th, '07, 21:36

Every day.

Any kind. As long as it's interesting.

(ex. American, Korean)
American: Dr. House
Korean: too many to count.

They are short.I get bored after 25+ episode.

No.If the story doesn't grab my attention no actor can make me watch it.

HYD

My sister does sometimes.

No.

Usually not, but there are exceptions.

Bulgaria

Puppet Princess

Post by Puppet Princess » Nov 20th, '07, 21:42

Well I watch a drama about everyday as long as I have the time... how often it's a Jdrama varies. Depends what has caught my eye, but I guess you could average it out to at least a couple times a week.

drama, love, comedy, mystery, detective, some manga adaptations... I like lots of genres I guess.

Korean, Chinese, some British... very little American. >.<

umm I guess Jdrama's tend to have a good balance between the random silliness and the serious stuff.

Sure dramas with my favorite actors will catch my attention first but if the story sucks I won't continue to watch it and I do check out things that star people I've never heard of because they sound interesting.
(for Jdrama: YamaPi, Tanaka Koki, Ayase Haruka, Kaname Jun, Matsuda Shota, Fujiki Naohito, Takizawa Hideaki, Toda Erika, Domoto Koichi, Shibue Joji) I swear there are some girls in there somewhere. :P

It's always changing.

Not really. My mom would watch Kdramas with me when I lived at home. And my cousin and my brother's girlfriend will watch things with me but not on their own.

Sometimes. Depends on how much I loved the drama.

Actually the only dramas I own were purchased without seeing any of it beforehand.

America

giggle weed

Post by giggle weed » Nov 20th, '07, 22:05

If I have a drama available to watch, always right away. Unless of course, which I rarely do, have something better to do. xD

2. What kind of jdrama do you like?
Romance is a definate. Before everything, romance. ;D Comedy and action come next, but then family dramas are always sweet and cute. I'm a typical girl, I guess. xD

3. Beside jdrama, which other TV series do you watch?
(ex. American, Korean)
A few korean dramas, and whenever something is on TV and I have nothing to do, american.

4. Why do you like jdrama? What´s the difference between other TV series?
Why? Hmm, probably because they're short and don't drag on for hundreads(exaggerating abit xD) of episodes of slow developing love stories, or just stories (such as smallville, although I do like it.) Just refreshing in general to watch.

5. Do you watch jdrama because a favorite actress/actor is taking part? If yes who is your favorite?
Yes, the first ever j actor I fell in love with was Domoto Tsuyoshi in cummer snow. It made me need to watch all his other dramas, which led to other actors.
To list more, they would be Tomoya Nagase, Junichi Okada, Oguri Shun, Yamamoto Yusuke, Tsumabuki, Sorimachi Takashi, Imai Tsubasa, Matsujun, Miyake Ken, Takenouchi Yutaka, KimuTaku (of course) and waaay to many more. xD
But if a show is really utter crap and I can't finish it, I will drop it despite the actor. Vise versa, if a drama does not have a cute actor but a good story, I will give it a try.

6. Do you have a most favorite jdrama? Which one?
Cheap love, Merry xmas in summertime, Last Christmas, Kisarazu Cat's Eye, Long Vacation, hanakimi, summer snow, Brother Beat, and.. Well, those are just the types I like, but to say I have a favorite is impossible.

My brother first introduced me to dramas last summer, and from there I've got both my little sisters hooked along with me. My mom even watched Last christmas with me and enjoyed it. So yeah, all the 5 people in my family +my mom. I haven't bothered to show any of my school friends because I just get the impression they wouldn't be interested, but my little sister has and a bunch of their friends will watch it along with us if they're here.

8. Recently many manga are made into jdrama, do you feel like reading the manga, if you like the jdrama?
I'm not too into manga, so no. I have read manga before and enjoyed it, so if I had more time (days are too short. xDD) I most likely would.

I feel bad for saying it, but no. Most of the reason is that I don't have the money for it and there's no place for me to go buy it, but that's no excuse because of the internet. I may though, in the future, the really good dramas so I can go back and watch them when I'm old just for kicks.

Canada.
Last edited by giggle weed on Nov 20th, '07, 22:38, edited 1 time in total.

rikie_11

Post by rikie_11 » Nov 20th, '07, 22:08

Everyday

romance, comedy, drama, mystery, hospital

(ex. American, Korean)
American - CSI Las Vegas and Miami, House, E.R., Generally Korean and Taiwanese dramas.

I have a short attention span so watching approximately 11 episodes helps a lot. I am never that bored especially if the story is GOOD.

Sometimes. Recently, I've been addicted to Fujiki Naohito. I've never watched Galcir though cause they said that it's not good...Now, I'm trying to watch Kimura Takuya dramas just so to know if he's that great an actor.

I cannot choose! Sorry...

No one in my family does...But I got one friend hooked up! And the other one introduced me to it.

It's the other way around...Read the mangas before watching it. :P

Depends on the price and quality of English subtitle.

Philippines

Raspberry Latte

Post by Raspberry Latte » Nov 20th, '07, 22:18

Whenever I have time - and there is a good one around

drama, romance-comedy, action, family, sci-fi

(ex. American, Korean)
Taiwanese, Korean, some American, some others if they are interesting

It's not too long and draggy, it explores real life situations and people, and the main actors are not always gorgeous looking, but more average and realistic. Also I like that they show people not just in "black-white", but from many different angles, so there is no "perfect hero" or "bad guy"...
If the story doesn't catch my attention, I wouldn't waste my time...

It's hard to name a few, and even harder just to name one...

Everybody, except my husband. My friends? Very few..

Hard to say... In a lot of cases I've already read the manga...

I could buy if I want to watch something, but after I've already seen it, doesn't make much sense.

Russia / USA

TabooxNightmare

Post by TabooxNightmare » Nov 20th, '07, 22:28

If I have something to watch I'll watch every day until it's finished.

I's say romance and such that could be considered drama, I like ones that focus on someone having a career or trying to achieve something in their job...

American, British and (seldomly) Korean

Even though the acting often isn't the best, I think they puta lot of heart into it, as well as the setting, I often like the plots better compared to other countrie's shows, too, I don't mind if it gets a little cheesy.

It's a bit embarrassing to say yes, but well... yes. If a dorama features Tamaki Hiroshi, Sakai Masato or any SMAP member (Takuya Kimura, Katori Shingo, Kusanagi Tsuyoshi, Inagaki Goro in case you don't know them) I will definitely give it a try, but I will not continue to watch if the plot is bad. A nice actor doesn't necessarily make a good show.

I love Boku no aruku michi to bits as well as Suna no Utsuwa.

Ah~ apart from online friends I forced other friends to give it a try, so that doesn't really count, eh? xD

Depends, it really does, but it didn't happen to me too often, if I didn't know the manga already.

I may as well be honest here, often I don't I rarely watch anything more tha once unless I really love it, so I even delete many of the files after watching.

Germany.

(somehow this was fun :D)

queequeg

Post by queequeg » Nov 20th, '07, 22:29

I usually manage to fit in an episode or two a day.

Drama, mystery, comedy. Pretty open as long as it sounds interesting.

(ex. American, Korean)
Some kdrama and American ( CSI, Pushing Daisies, Heroes)

I like the plots and the length. Unlike most American shows the short length of the series means there is a definite ending, rather than a long, sometimes painful, fading away.

I will choose to watch a series because of a favorite actor, but will only keep with it if it is a good show. Others I choose to watch because of an interesting synopsis. Love Kimura Takuya, Sorimachi Takashi, Hiroshi Abe, Nakama Yukie, Nagase Tomoya.

I wouldn't say just one favorite. The ones I keep watching over and over are Trick, Nodame Cantabile, Million Stars falling from the sky, 1 litre of tears

Just me and a friend watch in my group. If they haven't caught the drama bug most everyone else thinks we're crazy.

I did that recently with Life. However, it could backfire. If I had watched Hana Kimi before I read the manga I never would have picked it up (and I love that manga).

If I really like the series I will buy the dvd

america

sky-ia

Post by sky-ia » Nov 20th, '07, 22:39

I'm always searching for some new titles and usually after downloading sth I watch it right away. I got few series I downloaded but because of work I left them for later. Sometimes when I have nothing to do I re-watch my favourite series.

No rule. If the plot sounds good or theres some actor I like in it, then I try one episode. If it's interesting I watch the whole series.

(ex. American, Korean)

I watch Taiwanese dramas but before dramas I used to watch american series like The Nanny, La Famme Nikita, Columbo, Ally McBeal, Love and Marriage etc

I guess i just like the japanese lifestyle and their problems are not irritating. What I hate about american, brazilian or polish soap operas is that their problem are mainly cheating on each others. Too obvious and boring, j-dramas often have this fresh feeling and what's more they don't last for +5000 episodes :p

5. Do you watch jdrama because a favorite actress/actor is taking part? If yes who is your favorite?
Yes, no matter what's the plot if only I see my fave actor I always get it esp if it's Vic Zhou (in Taiwanese dramas) or Domoto Koichi <3

My thirst thought is Remote but if I should enlist dramas I watched more than twice it would be also 1 Litre of Tears, Attention Please!, Liar Game and Mars (taiwanese)

7. Does somebody in your family watch jdrama too? If yes, who? How about your friends?
No, my family hates enything that's asian even without trying it, but my friend is about to watch Liar Game as soon as he gets Master degree and will have some free time.

8. Recently many manga are made into jdrama, do you feel like reading the manga, if you like the jdrama?
Yes, I've read Hana Yori Dango and also watched the anime (and all my respect for the j-drama cooled down because they were so much better, even the taiwanese version, Meteor Garden was much better, mainly because it was more mature and closer to the original) I also got Hotaru no Hikari, Hana Kimi and Mars manga after watching the drama but I didn't read them (I only got through Mars to check for some love scenes *^____^*). I prefer read the manga first and then watch the drama.

9. After watching the jdrama on TV or Internet, do you plan to buy the DVDs?
I'd love to because I love good quality videos but the shipping from HK would be ten times of the real price (I cannot afford buying a series for 1/7 of my month salary). I could buy them in Japan myself during next visit in some book offs but then again there would be no english subs :(

10. Which country are you from?
Poland

Sorry, for writing in too much details ^_^"

applebear

Post by applebear » Nov 20th, '07, 22:46

Average about once a week

romantic comedies or thriller type shows (Remote, Liar Game)

(ex. American, Korean)
Some Korean shows
British (mostly older ones, Avengers, Young Ones, Black Adder, Dr. Who)
American- Bones (the only show I actually try to watch every week)
I also like all of Gordan Ramsey's shows, lol

I like the length and structure of the shows

Sometimes, I like Eita

So far I think my favorite has been
Busu no Hitomi ni Koishiteru

My husband will watch the ones that aren't romance, but if it was a really exceptional romance show he might watch it.

If I haven't read it already, I always like to compare & contrast books to shows/movies

If it is available with English subtitles and in the correct region code.

United States

xvannie

Post by xvannie » Nov 20th, '07, 23:04

when i find a good one

comedy+romance is a must!

(ex. American, Korean)
korean & taiwanese.

jap are shorter than korean ones

yepp, favorite actress is Maki H.

hana kimi!

my friends watch 'em [:

not at that level yet hehe

usually not, i spaz about it [x

im viet but in the US :D

epi

Post by epi » Nov 20th, '07, 23:48

almost everyday

anything that have interesting plots

3. Beside jdrama, which other TV series do you watch? (ex. American, Korean)
yes i regularly watch American series like CSI, House and NCIS
sometimes i watch taiwanese and korean dramas too
but mostly i watch jdramas

well jdramas tend to have more interesting storylines and they are not too long
the actors and actresses are also better (acting wise) in jdramas in my opinion
kdramas tend to have typical storylines (sometimes ... don't want to generalize)
as for TW dramas i think i outgrow them ... i just have the feeling that the story is kinda stupid sometimes ... haha

i want to say no but i know that's not totally true ...
if my fav actor/actress is in a drama i usually watch it no matter how boring the drama is
but i'm willing to watch dramas that don't have my fav actor/actress if they have interesting storylines
edit: didn't see the second question there ...
my fav actors are yamapi, ryo, and kimutaku
my fav actresses are maki and ayase haruka

there are really quite a few great jdramas that it's pretty hard for me to pick one
among my favorites are THnK, pride, NwP, 1LOT, H2, hana kimi, and sekai no chuusin

7. Does somebody in your family watch jdrama too? If yes, who? How about your friends?
no one else ...

for me it's the other way around, usually i already have the manga first
then when they're made into dramas then i'll be hyper-excited ... haha

no

i am originally from indonesia but now i'm in the USA

anyway, this is a fun questionnaire to fill out ... :lol[/i]

Kazanko
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Kazanko » Nov 21st, '07, 00:13

lately not very much, but once a week

All kind of genre...it should be addicting, that't all

yes, I watched Gilmore Girls, Full House (Korean) and Goong (Korean)

I feel like in a different world for 50 mins. That's what i feel generally when i see any drama. Jdrama are for me more familiar then american dramas, cause i feel more home.

I get curious when my favorite Actors are in those dramas. But the most important thing is, that the story should be addicting and i hope the week gets fast away, so that I can watch the next episode. I like when the main actors have a good chemistry. As for my favorite Actor it is Nishikido Ryo, Matsumoto Jun, Yamashita Tomohisa, Ninomiya Kazunari and my favorite actress are Aya Ueto, Horikita Maki and Yuko Takeuchi.

Yes. My favorite jdramas are those from "golden Fall 2005", means Nobuta o produce, 1 Litre of Tears and Hana Yori Dango. I like Attention Please, Kurosagi, Hanazakiri kimi tachi e and Galileo too.

Yes, my sister and many friends

No. As for Manga i have my own favorite managakas, so it don't depend if there is a jdrama or not.

Yes, only the ones who are really special (about 2) . If there is a good drama, I want to buy them and support them by buying it. Mostly I end up to buy their soundtrack too.

mixed asian ^_^

Sakado

Post by Sakado » Nov 21st, '07, 00:16

Whenever I have time and feel like watching jdrama

It all depends on my mood, but I like pretty much anything that has a good plot.

(ex. American, Korean)
kdrama and American (Smallville, Heroes)

I like the setting & plot is often more realistic (though quite cheesy at times ~~~ :X)

Matsushima Nanako

The question that i hate the most :) Too many to count!

Unfortunately, this is my solitary activity. Try to get some friends, but it did not work out. :-(

I've usually read the manga before it was adapted into jdrama (still prefer the manga version over the jdrama in most cases)

Well, it would need to be subtitled in proper English and not be so expensive. There are very few series that i would watch over and over again.

U.S. / France
Last edited by Sakado on Nov 21st, '07, 03:56, edited 1 time in total.

deshou

Post by deshou » Nov 21st, '07, 01:14

Whenever I can, sometimes many episodes in a roll, sometimes none in weeks...

Hmm, guess I prefer love, relationships, drama, comedy... almost all genres except horror, illnesses or hospitals...

American and Korean

For one, the length; when you start watching you know that, whatever happens, the number of episodes won't exceed X episodes.
On the other hand, Jdramas tend to explore more other kind of factors (psychological, financial, etc), the scenarios are good and most lines are actually said for a reason, not just to fill the script and make the characters look cooler.

No, I usually choose the drama for the plot. However, I've seen dramas and movies because of some actor I was impress with, e.g. Matsumoto Jun and Ueto Aya

Right now, probably Nodame Cantabile, think it's a very complete drama...

Neither my friends or family watch Jdrama, they think it's silly and a waste of time (yes, even if they never watched an episode before... :x )...
I managed to make my older brother watch "Ima, Ai ni Yukimasu" with me, which he liked, but it was the movie (shorter...)

I may check them, feeling curious about the characters' appearance and such, some particular event, but I don't read the mangas anymore as I already know the story.
(Only HYD, I watched the anime, the dramas and read the manga.)

Bought 2 dramas so far.. would like to buy at least my favorites, but they are too expensive...

Portugal

wish you luck~ :-)

himeyume

Post by himeyume » Nov 21st, '07, 01:33

<b>everyday</b>

<b> drama, comedy, romance</b>

(ex. American, Korean)
<b> American, Korean, Taiwanese</b>

<b> I guess because of the actors or the plot of the show because often the reason people watch the drama coz of the actors.</b>

<b>Takizawa Hideaki, Jun Matsumoto, Oguri Shun, Koike Teppei, Yamashita Tomohisa,Nagase Tomoya ,Tegoshi Yuya, Nishikido Ryo and Tsumabuki Satoshi </b>

<b>Hana yori dango1&2, forbidden love, Hanazakari no Kimitachi e, 1 liter of Tears, Kurosagi, My boss my Hero,Gokusen </b>

<b>My mom and all of my friends</b>

<b>Sometimes I do want to read the manga.</b>

<B>Yes. if they are very cheap.</b>

<B>USA</B>

ecstazy

Post by ecstazy » Nov 21st, '07, 14:25

Everyday

About love and criminal ;-) I also like good comedies.

Sometimes I watch kdramas, hardly ever american series (right now I'm watching Prison Break)

Hmmmmm... I don't know? I don't think there's some special reasons. Maybe I like jdrama 'cause it can be about everything and has quite fast action. American series are too long for me and usually are about same things. By the way, in japanese series you can find more sexy guys.

YES! Favorite actors: Takizawa Hideaki, Matsumoto Jun, Takuya Kimura, Takeshi Kaneshiro, Takashi Sorimachi...
actresses: Nanako Matsushima, Fukada Kyoko...

Hmmm... Another hard question... I love so many dramas, I can't choose!

Yeah. It's my father, but he's only into taiga drama (samurai series)

Hmmm... Sometimes... But usually I don't want to read the same story as I saw in drama. I like reading manga, but I don't like reading story with knowing ending.

Ehhhh... No...

I'm from Poland.

princess_jime

Post by princess_jime » Nov 21st, '07, 22:33

usually everyday, whenever I get on the internet. But if I'm too busy, weekly.

I seem to always go for the romantic-comedy. But family oriented shows do it for me as well. Anything that is good, I'll give it a try though.

(ex. American, Korean)
Currently I'm watching Ugly Betty. I also watch The L word whenever it comes on tv. I don't watch much local (venezuelan) tv, I find it boring and sad. What I always end up watching is: cooking shows.

I like the format, they usually end quick, which gives each episode "substance", so to speak. I also love japanese culture, so anything that's to do with that, I'll give it a try.

If the drama is good, I'll watch it. But if it's not, it really doesn't matter if my favorite actors are in it, I'll stop watching it. I like Abe Hiroshi, Inoue Mao, Matsujun, Kazunari Ninomiya, Ito Misaki, etc. there's lots of actors I like.

Hana Yori Dango, but not because I find it to be the best... it's not, it's my favorite j-drama merely for personal, sentimental reasons.

I got my mother and older brother to watch 3 j-dramas with me. They liked them a lot.

If the story is good... why not check everything out? I do the same with books and movie versions.

If they were available to buy here, had english or spanish subs, and were affordable... I would. But that's never going to happen. XD

Venezuela.

Good luck!

MochaValencia

Post by MochaValencia » Nov 22nd, '07, 03:25

Almost everyday

2. What kind of jdrama do you like? (ex. drama, love, comedy, fighting, relationships, family, law, hospital and so on)
I’m more into comedy and dark/tragic dramas. Though I try to stay away from the teen flicks, I’d watch anything which sounds interesting.

I watch American dramas like Lost, but right now, I’m really more into jdramas.

For starters, jdramas tend to be shorter. With only an average of 9-12 episodes per series, I’m amazed at how well the characters and the plot are developed. The best feature of jdramas, for me, is the variety. There’s a jdrama for everybody. And yes, I love how dark some jdramas can get (even if they involve children).

There are actors/actresses I follow such as Jinnai Takanori, Oguri Shun, Shota Matsuda, Takenouchi Yutaka, Sorimachi Takashi, Abe Hiroshi, Takeuchi Yuko, Hara Sachie and Amami Yuki. Having favorites does have an effect on the selection and prioritizing of dramas to see, but I don’t limit what I watch to the jdramas they are part of (and there’re instances when I just “scan” the drama” when it’s so boring that not even one of my favorites can save it). One jdrama/actor/actress can lead you to another, and before you know it, you’ve seen a lot more jdramas then you’ve planned to.

I have a top 5 list, but if I have to name just one, I’d have to say Shiroi Kage.

Some of my friends do.

Yes. It would be interesting to know how the manga was translated into live action (just as in the case of American comicbooks, which I collect). It would also be nice to try reading the manga first, if possible.

Of course, and like the others, I’d prefer sets with English subtitles. But if there’s a drama (or a movie) which I’m really looking forward to watching, I’d buy it with or without the subs.

Philippines

rika-ika

Post by rika-ika » Nov 22nd, '07, 15:12

:cheers:
Thank you all for your answers!!! Your´re really helping me! :salut:
:cheers:

MitsukaiKuroi

Post by MitsukaiKuroi » Nov 22nd, '07, 17:00

I usually watch one or two episodes (sometimes from 2 different dramas) every night.

Comedy/Relationship (My Boss, My Hero, HYD, Gal Circle) and controversial (Byakoyakou, Kou Kou Kyoshi 1993, 14 Sai no Haha). Family ones are great to watch with my Mother however.

(ex. American, Korean)

House is the main one. Most things on American Tele are boring to me.

I loved My Name Is Kim Sam Soon but I find most Korean dramas a bit boring because so many of them follow "the formula" of poor girl/rich guy/left over nice guy/annoying girl. Too predictable for my taste.

The stories are varied, the characters are very unique, usually the acting is good and very realistic. Even the "over the top" Jdramas seem more realistic and believable than other dramas IMO.

I watch all types of dramas even if I don't recognize the actors and actresses. Actors careers that I have followed are Fujiki Naohito , Jun Matsumoto, Tomaya Nagase, Masaki Itoh, Atsushi Itoh, Ayase Haruka, Kamenashi Kazuya , Kaname Jun, Yamada Takayuki to name a few. I will check out a drama if they are in it but I have not seen "everything" that they have done.

I like too many dramas but at the moment my top three are Densha Otoko, Byakuyakou, and My Boss, My Hero. Honorable mention is Hana Yori Dango.

My Mother and my boyfriend are the only people in my family that watch dramas with me. For some reason none of my friends seem to be able to get into them. :(

I would love to read manga but unfortunately I do not know enough Japanese to be able to follow them.

I have bought a few of them but I will admit that I have not bought all of the ones that I watched. Some you just want to watch once and that is enough. Others you watch over and over!

U.S.A.

Thank you!
Thank you!
Thank you for taking part!

Shusen

Post by Shusen » Nov 22nd, '07, 17:56

I have some periods. Sometimes, 2 or 3 episodes per week, sometimes 5 or 6 per day... It depends on the drama (is it very interesting or not) and my free time.

Mystery, comedy, thriller, investigations...

(ex. American, Korean)

American and Korean, but it's pretty rare.

4 reasons :
- There are many kinds of jdramas and I think everyone can find the one he likes. That's my case too. I found in jdramas some series I didn't find somewhere else.
- Generally, there are just 9 to 12 episodes and the series are not repetitive or boring (although it happens sometimes).
- It makes me practice japanese.
- It's exotic. :lol I mean I'm tired of always seeing black and white people on TV, I also want to see asian people. :)

No, I watch jdramas for their synopsis. But I have some favorite actors, as Hiroshi Abe or Shibasaki Kou.

I think it's Trick, for the excellent two principal characters and for this mix of mystery and comedy.

In my family, I think nobody watch jdramas. Sometimes, I try to make a friend watching a jdrama, but I didn't succeed in making new fans.

No, it never happened. But I already felt like watching the drama if I liked the manga.

If one day, there are some french subtitled DVDs of jdramas, maybe yes. I buy lots of movies but I don't want to buy very expensive japanese DVDs that don't have subs (even english).

France, I think you can tell i'm not a native english-speaking by reading this post.
:-(

Kazeyama

Post by Kazeyama » Nov 23rd, '07, 00:46

Maybe twice a week.

Romantic comedies, relationship dramas.

American: 30 Rock, Anthony Bourdain No Reservations.

The story begins, then is neatly wrapped up in about 11 episodes. Also, I am of Japanese descent, so I guess it's a no-brainer that I'd be interested. It does intrigue me that so many non-Japanese people enjoy it. I, personally, would like to know why that is. I am not interested any other foreign dramas.

That is always the reason. I cannot choose one. If I see the following names in the cast, I definitely will watch: all SMAP members, Fujiki Naohito, Tsumabuki Satoshi, Odagiri Joe, Koizumi Kotaru, Sorimachi Takashi, Toyokawa Etsushi, Kanno Miho, Fukatsu Eri - and many more.

Again, cannot choose just one: Virgin Road, Over Time, Itoshi Kimi e, Konna Koi no Hanashi, Pure, Star no Koi, Slow Dance, Oishii Kankei, Haken no Hinkaku, Hotaru no Hikari - and many more.

I got my older sister hooked. One co-worker.

No.

No, unless it includes proper English subtitles.

USA

shannobi

Post by shannobi » Nov 23rd, '07, 01:12

<b>1.
How often do you watch jdrama?</b>
When I have time, usually at night.

<b>2.
What kind of jdrama do you like?</b>
Comedy, love, sometimes school if it has both of that.

<b>3.
Beside jdrama, which other TV series do you watch?</b>
(ex. American, Korean)
Heroes<333 and House.

<b>4.
Why do you like jdrama? What´s the difference between other TV series?</b>
I like it because they don't make out in every other episode like in the American soaps. And they have interesting plot lines, and most of them base out of manga, which was how I got into it.

<b>5.
Do you watch jdrama because a favorite actress/actor is taking part? If yes who is your favorite?</b>
Ninomiya Kazunari, although he doesn't have much series. And Teppei Koike, as well as Tsumabuki Satoshi.

<b>6.
Do you have a most favorite jdrama? Which one?</b>
Orange Days.

<b>7.
Does somebody in your family watch jdrama too? If yes, who? How about your friends?</b>
My sister. And some of my friends as well.

<b>8.
Recently many manga are made into jdrama, do you feel like reading the manga, if you like the jdrama?</b>
No. Unless the drama has an open ending, then yes. It's not like I'll read Hana Kimi again, or Hana Yori Dango.

<b>9.
After watching the jdrama on TV or Internet, do you plan to buy the DVDs?</b>
Not really. They're not available here, and I don't like buying online.

<b>10.
Which country are you from? </b>
Guam.

doink-chan
United States of America

Post by doink-chan » Nov 23rd, '07, 03:45

It depends on the amount of time doinkies has. I procrastinate a lot. ^^;;

Comedy, family, romance, school (I'm picky about this genre though), and 'social issues' dramas (I'm thinking of things like 14-sai no Haha or Watashi-tachi no Kyoukasho or LIFE that talk about social issues primarily, though there are some dramas in other genres that work issues into their plots - school ones in particular).

(ex. American, Korean)

I watch some K-dramas and, rarely, TW-dramas.

For what most people said. Most J-dramas don't go on for decades (though there are some exceptions like Wataru Seken wa Oni Bakari or Abarenbo Shogun but those are different from the primetime fare that makes up the bulk of what's posted on d-addicts) and so they don't have to stick in 30+ episodes of doinky filler to pad out the season.

I usually watch J-dramas based on synopses rather than actors though sometimes the actors can be part of it as well. For male actors I like Abe Hiroshi, Fujiki Naohito and Nagase Tomoya, and for actresses I like Aragaki Yui, Kanno Miho, Matsushima Nanako, Nagasawa Masami, Nakama Yukie and Takeuchi Yuko.

Ai Shite Iru to Itte Kure, Long Vacation, Heaven's Coins, Kekkon Dekinai Otoko, Orange Days, and Sekai no Chuushin de, Ai o Sakebu.

No one else in my family watches J-dramas. They don't really care much about them. Neither do my IRL friends.

Well, manga adaptations aren't new by any means (Asunaro Hakusho was based on a manga for instance). The majority of manga adaptations, I watch because either
A: I read the manga and liked it or
B: I'm interested in the story.

With manga adaptations I watch because of B, I often do read the original manga if I find the drama to be good.

If there was a company out there that did good-quality R1 DVD releases of J-dramas with accurate-but-still-understandable subtitles, and if the DVD releases weren't too expensive, then yes, doinkies would buy those DVDs if such a company licensed a series I like.

U.S.

tsukikageran

Post by tsukikageran » Dec 17th, '07, 01:48

Almost every day

Almost everything, it varies

I don't really..

The plots are interesting, the actors can be good

I don't have a #1, but Kanno Miho, Katori Shingo, etc.

It's always changing, but Shinsengumi, Churasan, etc.

My whole family, depending on what type. Some of my friends will watch as well.

Usually I've read the manga already...but I don't like to compare, so no, I won't.

Maybe, depends on the series.

Japan/Canada

baka-ranger
Location: Either in Jap Disneyland or at the JE building stalking or recruiting boybands to join my JE Yakuza

Post by baka-ranger » Dec 18th, '07, 08:03

Everyday usually at dinner until I go asleep because I got glued to the story=D

As long as I find the plot line interesting I'll like it but I tend to focus more in the drama, love and comedy genre sometimes fighting..but it has to be tasteful but really I'd just rather fighting in movies otherwise I might get sick of it throughtout the whole series?

ugh I kinda stopped watching anything on real tv..but I do still watch Korean and Chinese Dramas as well

The story's are much more original to me and they have a wide range of plots in jdorama, cept I find some American series to be a bit repetitive..I also like Asian actors better cause I'm more attracted to them? lmfao OH and the music is much better?(prob cause I only listen to asian musicX.X)

I don't only watch it just because my favourite actor/actress is in it..cause like what if they did a really bad drama and then my perfect image will be ruined O__O, but I guess they can make the drama all the more appealing. I don't really have a favourite actor or actress though I gotta say Oguri Shun is one, he's in so many of my fav Jdoramas

I guess it would be HYD 1 & 2, because it's basically my favourite manga as well. There might be better drmas but HYD is special cause its one of the first I watched and the first drama I bought. Though I change from time to time on which drama I'm most focused on ..if that makes sense..well like the one I'm researching the most into so I can own everything thats related to the drama=P.

Yeah my mum..but she only watches the stuff I've bought cause she has no life and can't go out by herself to the drama shop=___= Only one friend is really into dramas as well, I guess some converted this year but they're not into it so much yet...

Yeah I can watch a jdorama and want to read the manga later to see if it has an extended storyline, especially if the drama was good but had a gay storyline. But usually its the other way around, I usally read the manga THEN I want to watch the drama also if the manga has bad art but a good storyline, its all the more reason to watch the drama..unless the actors are VERY VERY ugly and they ruin the story..

Yup, if I consider it to be a favourite, I already buy the DVDs so I guess thats evidence? And sometimes I buy the DVDs if I know its good but can't be stuffed downloading it before I buy it...

Malay in Australia...=___= I WANT TO BE IN JAPAN and take over the JE building..YAY^____^

Namida Iro

Post by Namida Iro » Dec 18th, '07, 08:22

Not sure if you still need this, but I still did it anyway for the fun of it. xD

Nearly everyday. ^O^

Drama, love, comedy, mystery~ It depends on the overall plot.

(ex. American, Korean)
I don't really watch others anymore.. xD

Most of the plots are interesting and original (especially those from manga adaptations). ^O^ Of course, the actors/actresses play a part too. ;D

When my favorite actors are in it, of course I'll not miss the show, but I also watch others though they're not there if the plot is interesting enough. My favorites are Yamapi, Hiraoka Yuta, Horikita Maki, Inoue Mao, Fujiki Naohito, Kashiwabara Takashi and many others. xD

Kurosagi. x) And a few others, actually...

Yup. My sis, mum and grandmother. xD My friends only watch KDrama. D:

Most of the time, I like the dorama cause I've also read the manga before, but there are times when I'll read the manga after watching the dorama.

Not really... =x But I did buy 1 set of DVDs when I couldn't wait for the subbed episodes to come out anymore.

Indonesia. ^_^ But currently in Singapore. =/

emerica1123

Post by emerica1123 » Dec 31st, '07, 20:36

Hi,
for my japanese class I need to do a presentation and report about jdrama. Therefore I have to know other than mine opinion on jdrama, so if somebody has a little bit time, please take part and help me. salut

2 Hours a day avg.

drama, love, comedy, relationships

(ex. American, Korean)

Boondocks, A few anime, South Park.

Jdrama is more like a mini series and US dramas are just random episodes that can be watched in any order.

Yes,

Actor: Yamapi and Kame, Page from Akiba@DEEP
Actress: Horikita Maki, the Nodame actress, girl from Hana Yori Dango

Nodame Cantabile, Kurosagi

No. Friends in my Japanese class do.

Not really.

If they are in the U.S. which they aren't but if I realllly like them then maybe.

Florida, US

Ruka707

Post by Ruka707 » Aug 29th, '08, 00:44

Everyday, usually at night.

Nearly everything... I love school comedies and love tragedies too XD

No.

They never get boring, have interesting storyline (and the guys are hot XP)

Yes of course~ Kamenashi Kazuya and Nishikido Ryo <3

Too much to list it XD

My best friend... and sometimes my bro.

Yeah.

Yeah, of course, I have a big DVD collection ^^

Hungary

kgobea

Post by kgobea » Aug 29th, '08, 01:05

atleast 3 times a week

drama, love, comedy, relationships

(ex. American, Korean)
Korean, Taiwan, only reality American shows

the hot guys, the language, the quality of the shows.
the difference is the style. in twdrama they use wuxia [which i like, but dont prefer] and in jdrama its not like that. and in Korea they are more "americanized" meaning the dramas are more "sexy" rather than jdrama where if someone kisses I gasp/blush when its not a big deal. lol.

YES!!!! omg too many to name but if Matsumoto Jun was in a horrible drama i would watch it anyways. lol.

Hana Yori Dango!!! my all-time fav.!

no. friends watch anime.

if i can get it translated into English without losing the "Japanese feel".

only the one's i truly love

United States[/b]

hyteia

Post by hyteia » Aug 30th, '08, 14:37

everyday

the drama with good scenario

(ex. American, Korean)
Beside jdrama, other TV series I watch infrequently

Why do you like jdrama? What′s the difference between other TV series?
jdrama is very dapper and exquisite

Yes jin Akanishi is my favorite

Yes Ikebukuro West Exit Park

my sister and many of my friends

manga and jdrama give me different feelings i can enjoy both the manga and the jdrama

Internet, maybe

China

techie
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by techie » Aug 31st, '08, 22:37

As often I can...

Anything works...

(ex. American, Korean)

Swedish criminal stories perhaps. Not much besides Jdorama or C/K drama.

Cant explain it. It's just better than the US Style violent focus.

Sometimes, but no fav in particular. Good recurring ones include...
M) Sorimachi Takashi, Abe Hiroshi, Takeda Tetsuya, Kusanagi Tsuyoshi, Takenouchi Yutaka, Karasawa Toshiaki
F) Ito Misaki, Kanno Miho, Matsushima Nanako

Toshiie & Matsu, Taiga. Outstanding.

No way, they dont get it at all.

Would consider watching the animated version on film, reading is not my prefered media.

Sometimes (maybe, naaaaah, he he)

Sweden