The Official Football (Soccer) Thread

Discuss about anything here that doesn't fit in the other categories. Just don't spam.
sahansah

The Official Football (Soccer) Thread

Post by sahansah » Oct 18th, '07, 23:10

So the thing is football is the most popular game the world over....and I have no stats to back up that claim but just take my word for it :-)

That means people, there has to be footy/soccer mad fans on this forum? so come on you lads and lasses get your kit on and start posting about anything to do with football (soccer) from around the world...that way we can learn about football's (soccers) growth, popularity, up coming players...from around the world :D from people who know their stuff!

Hmmm right know I don't have time and I am pretty tired...was gonna write something on why the English national team is crap and it's not due to foreign players playing in the premiership...which is just ridiculous a claim...lets face it...apart from one world cup win in 1966 did England ever reach another final...hmmm? er i don't think so...and have they ever won the european championship? nope again....so what were England doing before the mass influx of foreign players into the league?...nothing much...didn't even qualify fopr the 1994 world cup!...yeah the fact is if an English player was good enough NO club would go looking for players abroad...they are just crap albeit a few...and the reason? GRASSROOTS...more needs to be done at grassroots levels to teach skill...one touch football..Little kids in England need to learn how to be creative and actually pass the ball...not to kick the ball forwards and hope for the best....Seriously we need to bring in continental coaches and someone needs to train coaches to allow kids individual freedom and how to pass!!!

BTW this is just hilarious:

its up on his wiki...Yeah and that my friends was the highlight of 1966...nothing can eclipse this...Go United babay!!!!
anyways people posting it would be nice if you stated the team/s you support!!!

YaGaMi82

Post by YaGaMi82 » Oct 19th, '07, 09:59

Finally a football thread! :salut:

Lol. That poster is a classic. I think it used to be on billboards around Euro 96. I really do miss the "Cantona" days. :mrgreen:

You're right there's not much talent coming through in the UK these days. I think there needs to be a system for athletes like they have in the US. In England if you want to take up a sports profession I dont know where you would go to follow it up.

skachild

Post by skachild » Oct 19th, '07, 10:19

England maybe out of euro 08... so pity... :cry:

Byakko

Post by Byakko » Oct 19th, '07, 10:28

o.o indeed.... England always have alot of talent players but they never work well as a team >.> so sad

sahansah

Post by sahansah » Oct 19th, '07, 18:49

YaGaMi82 wrote:Finally a football thread! :salut:

Lol. That poster is a classic. I think it used to be on billboards around Euro 96. I really do miss the "Cantona" days. :mrgreen:

You're right there's not much talent coming through in the UK these days. I think there needs to be a system for athletes like they have in the US. In England if you want to take up a sports profession I dont know where you would go to follow it up.
Sports Science :lol :lol :lol ...yeah your right don't think we have that scholarship programme that they do in America over here....

As of England going out of Euro 08...maybe thats whats needed...though no knee jerk reactions like limit foreign player into prem...if they do that....the whole league would become weaker...and I hate the media and their "England expects" mentality...is as if England are the best team in the world :lol what a Joke...England are average at best and always have been...

Oh does anyone know how Thierry Henry's progressing with Barcelona? wanna know if his banging in them goals lol

Some nice matches this weekend...Man Utd Vs Aston Villa that looks a juicy fixture :-) ...much better than the Merseyside Derby lol ... United need to win if they want to keep up with Arsenal...who have got an easy fixture at home against a managerless Bolton side...hmmm another sinking ship it seems....oh please middleborough destroy chesea :D :D

Ueda Jiro
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Ueda Jiro » Oct 20th, '07, 13:45

I am disappointed that Everton failed to beat Liverpool. Another case of bad refereeing. :x

sahansah

Post by sahansah » Oct 20th, '07, 15:05

Indeed it was poor refreeing...two possible spot kicks for Everton denied...hmmm but in any case was a good match....and Liverpool prob deserve the win... a little bit of good luck but they did create some chances....Voronin should have passed to Kuyt, when he was unmarked (Voronin may have been offside but still)...Lucas looked lively...and should have scored a goal...if it wasn't for the handball by neville...still Kuyt scored two penalties...and Howard should have done better to stop the second one...got a hand on it I believe....although taking off gerrard was a odd call....it paid off I guess...is it me or does Sissoko need to improve his passing...thats the only part of his game thats lacking...maybe finishing also

ephesus
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by ephesus » Oct 20th, '07, 15:09

I'm in Brazil right now on vacation, and I just saw Brazil trounce Ecuador in Rio de Janeiro during the World Cup Qualifiers. Brazil is retarded for soccer!
I'm going to a São Paulo game tomorrow (Oct 21) too which is the team Kaka came from and such. I've never cared at all about soccer, but going to live games is a hell of a lot of fun.

SP1CA

Post by SP1CA » Oct 20th, '07, 15:28

today i watched Everton-Liverpool match, too. :D a football thread is a good idea.

i support Galatasaray and my fav player is Hasan Sas. also i really like Fatih Terim, he's a great director.

By sp1ca

By sp1ca

By sp1ca

sahansah

Post by sahansah » Oct 20th, '07, 15:29

ephesus lol...yeah wish England had the same riches as brazil...have fun tomorrow and if you can give us a report!!! ha-ha...Soccer is the best game in the world...your gonna be sucked in for sure lol :D

sahansah

Post by sahansah » Oct 21st, '07, 17:44

hey SP1CA I don't know much about turkish football....there is Tuncay who now plays for Middlesbrough now in the prem I'm guessing since he played for Fenerbahce you may not like him lol....any exciting Turkish players?

Theres Nuri Sahin whose contracted to Dortmund I think...he seems a decent player from the clips I've seen and highly rated by Turks...Is he any good say for the top clubs in europe?

Elien

Post by Elien » Oct 21st, '07, 18:29

footbal, hmmm.. we have lot of excelent players in czech republic, handsome too :D
you definïtely know Milan Baros, Petr Nedved, Tomas Rosicky or Petr Cech, the best goalkeeper of 2005.. here i give u some pics
Petr cech and tomas rosicky

milan baros with coach bruckner

hope u enjoy :thumleft:

SP1CA

Post by SP1CA » Oct 21st, '07, 19:50

sahansah wrote:hey SP1CA I don't know much about turkish football....there is Tuncay who now plays for Middlesbrough now in the prem I'm guessing since he played for Fenerbahce you may not like him lol....any exciting Turkish players?

Theres Nuri Sahin whose contracted to Dortmund I think...he seems a decent player from the clips I've seen and highly rated by Turks...Is he any good say for the top clubs in europe?
but it sounds like you know about Turkish football :D well you're right, i don't like Fenerbahce players :D but Tuncay is a good player, i think. Nuri Sahin, he's a young one,new-beginner :D guess he's a bright one.

sahansah

Post by sahansah » Oct 21st, '07, 23:48

SP1CA LOL just don't ask me to name the Turkish national team!!!

Elien Yep...Baros though was a flop in the prem..Cech is a fine keeper and Chelsea fans would agree...LOL...okay erm I guess the pics were for the female fans!!!

:lol Maybe I should post pics of Tevez and Rooney? Everyones fav pin ups!!!

Yorokobi

Post by Yorokobi » Oct 22nd, '07, 00:14

I don't actually know a hell about professional soccer
but i watched every game of the last world cup which involved me getting up at ungoddly hours every morning despite school due to time differences.
But I wanted to post in this forum as a fan of the game. i love it, I love to play it(untalented as I am) and love to watch it. You people who get to see live games are so lucky ive never had the chance.

ephesus
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by ephesus » Oct 22nd, '07, 11:44

So, I went and returned from the São Paulo v. Cruzeiro game yesterday, #1 and #2 in the league. It was at this stadium:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Est%C3%A1dio_do_Morumbi
Which holds 80,000 people but I was in a VIP room where you could only really see the game, not the fans. Like this:

The fans certainly were crazy, although it's hard to hear because my camera doesnt pick up bass very well at all.

And the game was like this

The video quality is bad, which is why it seems far/dark.

To compare, this is a movie from a baseball game at the Nagoya Dome in Japan, and the Sao Paulo stadium holds TWICE as many people as the Nagoya Dome.

I'm starting to realize that I like the soccer fans more than the actual soccer game. haha

sahansah

Post by sahansah » Oct 22nd, '07, 23:20

:thumleft: ephesus bet it was an awe inspiring expereince! I've heard about the Brazilain fans they can go quite crazy...were there any instances of violent behavior?
Yeah the football fans are very passionate and vocal the world over thats waht makes football even more exciting the fans! and cheers for the videos! :D

Yorokobi hey!!! lol I don't think I could wake up at ungodly times to catch the world cup lol...respect where its due :thumright: you're from New Zealand right? if I'm not mistaken...Rugby (or Cricket) is probably thre favoured sport there right? How is Football's popularity over there?

Elien

Post by Elien » Oct 23rd, '07, 23:58

Slavia Prague lost to Arsenal 0:7 :crazy: is this possible?! worst game ever :thumbdown:

Yorokobi

Post by Yorokobi » Oct 24th, '07, 00:37

sahansah wrote:
Yorokobi hey!!! lol I don't think I could wake up at ungodly times to catch the world cup lol...respect where its due :thumright: you're from New Zealand right? if I'm not mistaken...Rugby (or Cricket) is probably thre favoured sport there right? How is Football's popularity over there?
Rugby is definatly number one over here (much to my dissapointment) and cricket is number two. Soccer is vaguly popular. But doesnt feature in the sport headlines too often ^_^ especially when there is non exciting rugby stuff going on

sahansah

Post by sahansah » Oct 25th, '07, 01:41

Elien LOL...go the gunners...that was just a great match of great football from Arsenal...everything just clicked for them and this season they are like man united were last season after they sold Ruud Van Nistelrooy (Arsenal sold their prolific goal scorer henry) and the goals are just flowing....Fabregas is like how Ronaldo was for united last season, on fire!!!! hmmmm uncanny

Man Arsenal Vs Liverpool...Liverpool lost again in eurpoe!!!! :O ...very unlike them...playing badly, very badly....its gonna be a bad day on Sunday Arsenal are cruising and Liverpool are just playing badly....gonna be a great match!!!! Oh but everybody knows that United are gonna end Arsenals unbeaten run :D

Yorokobi lol...not a rugby fan? same here...which one is played more in New Zealand...League or Union? cuz I dunno League is more popular up north in England and Union er South? but I'm not a rugby fan so thats how I see it over here...Union is prob more popular than League....

since Australia have moved to the Asian Football Confederation that means it gives New Zealand more of a chance to qualify for the world cup with ease...yeah and couple that with some New Zealand players playing in europe it could grow...hmmmm are there any new zealand players in europe?

Tettekete

Post by Tettekete » Oct 25th, '07, 08:40

Favorite club : BARCELONA FC ftw~ !!

Favorite players : Messi + Henry

:cheers:

sahansah

Post by sahansah » Oct 25th, '07, 21:32

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 063013.stm

Martin Jol steps down...hmmm so lets see Mourinho leaves Chelsea, then Sammy Lee and now Jol for Spurs...hmmm...crazy ain't it? Look at man Utd and Arsenal...and then people will realise what stability brings...its like hire a manager then fire the manager use them as scapegoats...sure Spurs are at the bottom end of the table and leaking goals but the guy got Spurs to 5th place finshes...at least wait til end of season...I for one don't like managers just being fired like that....people are saying Benitez is not right man for liverpool..give the guy a chance 2 Champions league finals in 3years is a respectable run...something that Fergie would jump at lol...and compare that to Wenger's I think only one Champions league final. Clubs have to forget about the short term and think long term...bring in a manager and let him build...sure there may be bumps but as Man Utd, Arsenal have shown its best in the long term...lol at one point Ferige was close to being sacked as crazy as that may sound but look at them now!!!!

Yeah on other hand change may be a good thing :thumright: ...a new manager could get spurs ticking and working better....well I guess it depends on the manager and how good he is....but imagine if spurs go down that would be funny :lol before the season they were touted to be challenging Arsenal for 4th place..ha-ha crazy the media actually thought Arsenal would struggle :roll ....Wenger is a genius people...look on how much he spends in the transfer window not alot...and then compare that to was it over 30million? that Spurs spent this season :lol 16mil for Bent...ha-ha what a joke

Tettekete how are barca doing? they drew against rangers in the champions league and lost against Villarreal...hmmm how is Henry faring for barca so far, do the fans think his progressing as he should or are they not that convinced? anyways Bojan seems a future propect

YaGaMi82

Post by YaGaMi82 » Oct 29th, '07, 23:02

I've not been at d-addicts for a week or so but I'm pleasently suprised to find this thread on the second page. :thumright:

I tell you what the Tevez and Rooney partnership is looking deadly! I've been saying for 8 years now that United are gonna win the Champions League but I think this really is the year.

sahansah

Post by sahansah » Oct 30th, '07, 00:44

This thread is going slow....considering the amount of footballing action that takes place around the world.....but the Gunners are just phenomenal....I think they should have won agasint Liverpool, totally outclassed them and just dominated. Maybe they are a litttle over confident and if they tighten on set pieces and resist the temptation of over elaboration near their penanlty box I think it may be difficult for any team to match them this season but we shall see. Its gonna be a big test for United against the gunners and it should be a cracker of a game :thumright: can't wait!!!!! Please let it be a total goalfest and please let it be a really open game!!!!!

Yep YaGaMi82 Tevez and Rooney are looking deadly lets see if it continues....but no scholes :-( a great loss I think its gonna be a two horse race between Arsenal and Man Utd....but can't really count Chelsea out...or Liverpool who are still unbeaten. lol lets hope so I was thinking last yr was sooo united's yr to win treble again but damn things didn't wrk out :-( ...

YaGaMi82

Post by YaGaMi82 » Oct 30th, '07, 19:45

Yeah. Big game over the weekend. The game should be open and fast paced. Both teams play attractive football. Scholes is a big loss but thankfully we got cover with Anderson settling in and Hargreaves back.

sahansah

Post by sahansah » Oct 30th, '07, 21:44

though with such a big game I'd rather have Scholes pulling the strings in midfield....not too sure bout Anderson yet....roll on the weekend cant wait!!!!

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Nov 1st, '07, 00:57

ok, i got a question for you guys:

do any of you play 'fantasy soccer (futbol)'??
http://uk.premiership.fantasysports.yahoo.com/

i was asked by one of my co-workers to join this league and play. i researched a few players, and i'm actually doing fairly well. HOWEVER, unlike fantasy (US) football, there isn't much news on players and teams. sometimes, i get a player and the dude doesn't even play! just wondering if you guys would have the inside scoop on this.

sahansah

Post by sahansah » Nov 5th, '07, 17:27

jholic nope don't play fantasy football, so how are you doing? Who's in your team? how does it all work? I ain't the best but I'll try to help

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Nov 6th, '07, 01:45

sahansah: i am actually doing pretty well, but i think i could use a bit of expertise to make my team a bit better.

fantasy soccer works like 'salary cap football'. at the beginning of the season, all premiere league soccer players are assigned a dollar value (if they're really good, then they are worth $20 or something).

you are then given $100 to 'buy' a team (3 fwds, 3 middle guys, 2 defenders and a goalie - i think). if they do good in a game, you get some points. if they don't do well, you don't get points.

ALSO, after the week is over, if your guys did well or not, their dollar value gets changed. if sahansah was only worth $1 at the beginning of the season, but did well for the past 10 wks, he may be worth $15-20 by now! also, if jholic was worth $10 at the start, but did very poorly for the past 10 wks, he might be only worth $1 by now.

sahansah

Post by sahansah » Nov 6th, '07, 02:48

I see but only 9 players?

So what players did you buy?

mysggirls.com

Post by mysggirls.com » Nov 6th, '07, 17:59

May i ask fantasy football is an online game or what? I heard my friends whispers to each other about the game, but i didnt really know what it is and how can we play. Can anyone help? I am quite interested in it too, i am football fans too!

sahansah

Post by sahansah » Nov 6th, '07, 22:01

8 freaking nil to Liverpool WOOOOT!!!! a new highest scoring Champions league game record against Basiktas and of all the teams Liverpool?! lets be honest they don't exactly have the most potent front line in Europe...congrats to them...played well, but Basiktas played really bad...defense was non-existant for them.....

Still confidence boaster for Liverpool lets see if they can build on this

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Nov 7th, '07, 01:47

mysggirls.com wrote:May i ask fantasy football is an online game or what? I heard my friends whispers to each other about the game, but i didnt really know what it is and how can we play. Can anyone help? I am quite interested in it too, i am football fans too!
depends if you're talking about AMERICAN FOOTBALL, or SOCCER (FUTBOL or FOOTBALL).

in either case, you can read more about fantasy sports here

fantasy football (american)
fantasy premiership league (soccer)

sahansah: i gotta run, but i will post my team later.

mysggirls.com

Post by mysggirls.com » Nov 7th, '07, 16:16

thankz thankz!! I am Liverpool fans too, i watched the match and i thats the most happy match i have watched this season for liverpool!

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Nov 8th, '07, 01:12

sahansah: so here it is....

i have 3 fwds, 4 midfielders, 3 defenders, and one goalie. my team is as follows:

Forwards
C. Tevez (MAN - F)
F. Torres (LIV - F)
R. Santa Cruz (BLA - F)
Midfielders
F. Malouda (CHE - M)
J. Utaka (POR - M)
F. Fabregas (ARS - M)
Nani (MAN - M)
Defenders
R. Ferdinand (MAN - D)
Z. Knight (AST - D)
M. Richards (MAC - D)
Goalkeepers
K. Schmeichel (MAC - G)

this guy schmeichel is the man! he's been getting fantasy points like crazy!

anyways, i guess the help i need is whether you know any of these guys are injured or will not play. are any of these guys going to have a tough matchup? also, do you know of any powerful team that may play a weak team? i can get some players on the power team and hopefully, they can get good fantasy points.

sahansah

Post by sahansah » Nov 8th, '07, 01:51

hmmm nice team!!!!

lets see is it just the prem?

Schmeichel has gone out on loan to Cardiff city (play in second tier not in prem, the championship) for a month so he won't be playing for man City at moment

I believe Torres is injured and don't know how long his gonna be out for.....lets see what happens towards the weekend

For some reason Zak Knight is one player I'm worried about not to all sure fabout him but Martin o Neil knows best and he has been his first choice for Aston Villa...although Laursen another Villa defender is the more solid of the two...Ferdinand and Vidic best defensive partnership in prem - get Vidic :thumleft:

Fabregas :thumright: he is on fire!!!! well done snagging him!!!

Yeah so lets see easy games? Derby are like the whipping boys at moment and they play West Ham a club with serious injury probs so by no means will West Ham have it easy but there should be able to wim them....

Spurs vs Wigan....Spurs playing badly but new manager and wigan have lost like alot of their previous games...so Spurs have a decent shot there

out of the big 4 the fixtures look by no means easy for them...Liverpool will be confident after the 8-0 win in Eurpoe yesterda.y. play at home to Fulham they gonna be wanting to win that one after drawing their previous games..so it should be interesting...

Man Utd vs Blackburn - ...hmmmm United on fire but Blackburn will not be walk overs I'm sure of it...but with united's front 4 of Tevez, Rooeny, Ronaldo and Giigs/Nani anything can happen

Chelsea at home to Everton...Chelsea are formidable at home....Lampard and Drogba if they play well Chelsea will win but not sure if it will be a high winning game....I hope Chelski lose :x - but I bet Lampard and drogba one or the other will score :glare:

Arsenal play reading.....I have a feeling the gunners gonna win that one expect fabragas to score again! lol

but lets see what happens leading to the wekend

portsmouth play Man city that is going ot be a tight game.....for city it will depend on Elano (another midfielder - he is on fire for them)

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Nov 9th, '07, 01:57

yes, it's just the premiership.
sahansah wrote:Schmeichel has gone out on loan to Cardiff city (play in second tier not in prem, the championship) for a month so he won't be playing for man City at moment
what?!?! that's probably why i didn't get many points this week. didn't know he's NOT playing!
I believe Torres is injured and don't know how long his gonna be out for.....lets see what happens towards the weekend
thanks for the info. i think i'll take him out too.
For some reason Zak Knight is one player I'm worried about not to all sure fabout him but Martin o Neil knows best and he has been his first choice for Aston Villa...although Laursen another Villa defender is the more solid of the two...Ferdinand and Vidic best defensive partnership in prem - get Vidic :thumleft:
am i glad i found you! no idea who any of these guys are. i'll have to see if i can pick some of them up.
Fabregas :thumright: he is on fire!!!! well done snagging him!!!
at a hefty price! i had to drop quite a few players to get him.

thanks for the rest of the info. this will be helpful. i have to pick my players by tomorrow, but i'll let you know who i come up with.

sahansah

Post by sahansah » Nov 9th, '07, 02:05

lol hope my advise dont end up bad advise I'm not all sure but Torres may be fit by the weekend...but not 100% on that on fire Striker seems to be Benjami for Porthmouth, scored the most goals, Adebayor (arsenal) is 2nd but his hot and cold...plays really good a couple of games and then goes cold his due a good game so lol

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Nov 10th, '07, 01:43

sahansah:
Forwards
C. Tevez (MAN - F) BLA 13.24
R. Santa Cruz (BLA - F) @MAN 8.83

Midfielders
F. Malouda (CHE - M) EVE 5.83
C. Dempsey (FUL - M) @LIV 8.91
F. Fabregas (ARS - M) @RED 16.69
Elano (MAC - M) @POR 10.04
L. Bowyer (WHU - M) @DER 5.88

Defenders
A. Granqvist (WIG - D) @TOT 7.63
Z. Knight (AST - D) @BIR 8.00
N. Vidic (MAN - D) BLA 8.57

Goalkeepers
M. Almunia (ARS - G) @RED 10.16
the numbers next to their names are the price for the players. i have 100 for the whole team. i think the value of this team is like 99.48 (now you know how much fabregas costs!!)

i noticed my opponent changed his 'formation' to 2 fwd, 5 mids, and 3 defs. i think it's cuz most mids cost less, but score more.

first thing i did was to sell schmeichel. if dude's not earning me points for one month, i can't keep him. thanks for letting me know.

i wasn't sure if you meant to KEEP ferdinand and GET vidic, but i couldn't afford both, so i sold ferd and got vidic.

i didn't want to sell torres, but he's hurt, so....

i got elano, but i had so little points left, i could only afford a REALLY unknown mid. since you said west ham should do well vs derby, i decided to get a west ham guy (bowyer).

anyways, i don't think i'll have time to change them before the games start tomorrow, but in the future, i'll see if i can post before fridays, so you can let me know if any of these dudes are hurt or gonna have a tough time.

what do you think of this team?

sahansah

Post by sahansah » Nov 10th, '07, 22:19

well don't know about selling Torres...because he played today...and scored...but 5-0 to West ham good thing you included Bowyer scored twice, otherwise I would have questioned that choice

Hope Tevez scores tomorrow! hmmm since Blackburn are playing Man Utd tomorrow its going to be a tough game for both teams

Good job with vidic I feel his the better defender then Ferdinand but to bad yo can't get both....

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Nov 13th, '07, 01:03

ah, shucks! did torres score? dangit! well, i noticed bowyer was a diamond! he went up to 9-10pts in ONE WEEK! wow! wish he could play der every week! haha!

well, it's not against the rules to get both ferd and vidic, but i can't afford both. hopefully, i can get more money later.

sahansah

Post by sahansah » Nov 13th, '07, 13:23

yeah torres came on as sub and scored lol how'd you fare in all jholic?

sahansah

Post by sahansah » Nov 13th, '07, 13:26

So a fan is shot by the police accidently I think is offical statement on Suday following violence. Condolences to the shot fan's family....but the violence associated with Italian football is getting out of hand....Serie A is one of the best leagues in the world, all this violence is just tainting it..... :-(
Last edited by sahansah on Nov 14th, '07, 11:02, edited 1 time in total.

mysggirls.com

Post by mysggirls.com » Nov 14th, '07, 11:00

yaya, i just hate violence happening here and there. What has been the fans or spectators doing wrong? Y are they killed? Because of soccer? thats funny.....

sahansah

Post by sahansah » Nov 14th, '07, 11:06

yeah...I think the police were trying to diffuse violence and a fan got accidentally shot when the police fired nto the air or something....it just has gone even more crazy with riots by hooligans just using the death of the fan as an excuse to cause more harm

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Nov 15th, '07, 01:37

condolences to the family of the fallen soccer fan. truly sad when an event that is supposed to highlight athleticism and good sportsmanship ends in tragedy.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Nov 15th, '07, 01:42

sahansah, as i was saying, here's my latest lineup:
Forwards
C. Tevez (MAN - F) @BOL 13.65
R. Santa Cruz (BLA - F) AST,@FUL 8.06
Midfielders
F. Malouda (CHE - M) @DER 5.96
C. Dempsey (FUL - M) BLA 7.17
F. Fabregas (ARS - M) WIG 16.09
Elano (MAC - M) RED 9.39
D. Dunn (BLA - M) AST,@FUL 3.01
Defenders
J. Terry (CHE - D) @DER 8.64
Z. Knight (AST - D) @BLA,@MID 7.95
N. Vidic (MAN - D) @BOL 9.84
Goalkeepers
M. Almunia (ARS - G) WIG 10.21
i noticed the rankings of the different teams, and saw that derby is quite bad. wig is not much better, and since they're playing ars, i figure it should be a good game for ars.

i sold bowyer (since i do not believe he'll repeat), and got this dude dunn. and i also got terry since he's playing der.

are any of these guys hurt or not going to play? who's your fave team, btw?

sahansah

Post by sahansah » Nov 18th, '07, 22:31

My fav team is Man Utd, right now most players are on international duty so the prem shall restart on the 24th, a weeks time. I'll check up the injuries around then but your team don't seem bad...yeah Arsenal should hav a good game against Wigan although Fabregas won't be playing against Wigan cuz his suspended for one game after collecting 5 yellow cards but don't go selling him its only a one match ban....that guys on fire and I predict him to continue this good vein of form.

Maryvel

Post by Maryvel » Nov 18th, '07, 22:52

Yay, a soccer thread! :lol

I'm Austrian and I'm sooo exited about the Euro next year. Especially since I'm half-greek, so I can cheer for two teams. :cheers:

Sadly the Austrian team really sucks, but one can still hope, right? :unsure:

sahansah

Post by sahansah » Nov 18th, '07, 23:02

LOL - welcome Maryvel well good that Austria are co-hosts!!! automatic place.....well its sad cuz I'm an England fan...and the fact that they have done sooo badly during the campaign its crazy....should have finished top of group but noooo and thank god that Israel beat Russia theres still hope for England to qualify if they can beat Croatia at home...which I think they may mess up as always...*sigh* England are one of the crapest teams in the world...the sooner the people understand that over here the better off we will be and not get our expectations set too high....1 world cup is not good enough to be considered world beaters

Maryvel

Post by Maryvel » Nov 19th, '07, 06:53

I don't think England has such a bad team. You have great players, they are just not playing well at the moment...

Of course it was more than enough to beat the Austrian team in that friendly mach last week. Maybe they gained some confidence from that. :lol

sahansah

Post by sahansah » Nov 19th, '07, 11:12

lol England haven't been playing well for a long time....XD
Gained confidence and lost owen :-( lol

yeah they have some decent players but lack firepower up front, I mean Rooney is class but not a natural goal scorer, Owen is always injured, Crouch good as he is, is not even first choice at Liverpool, same goes with Bent and Defoe at spurs.

I'm tempted to say England should have picked Agbonlahor or Walcott instead of Bent...Walcott seems to be playing with confidence and has done well with the appearences his made for Arsenal and Agbonlahor has shown some good form recently but hope that knock he sustained with the under 21's isn't serious.

btw Maryvel what team/s do you support?

Maryvel

Post by Maryvel » Nov 19th, '07, 20:33

For Austrian team I like "Austria Wien", they are playing in the UEFA Cup right now. The only Austrian team btw. Our only hope. :lol
But I fear I already know where they are going to end up. :cry:

So, no good teams in Austria.... but I have 5 greek teams in the UEFA Cup and "Olympiakos Piraeus", which is the favourite greek team of me and my father, in the Champions Leage. :cheers:

But at least some cool teams are coming to Austria to play, because of the UEFA Cup even if we don't win anything. It's hard to live in a country that has absolutely no good teams at all. If you were here you would probably stop complaining about england in no time. :-(

Maryvel

Post by Maryvel » Nov 19th, '07, 20:35

Oh, and sorry 'bout Owen. But Crouch knocked out our goalkeeper. :cussing:

sahansah

Post by sahansah » Nov 19th, '07, 23:24

XD - it was an accident... :roll ....anyways Owen is like needed by England without him we doomed, doomed I tell ya DOOMED!!! btw the goalie still injured?

ha-ha go Austria wien :cheers:

good luck to Olympiakos....ouch group with Real Madrid...who do you guys play next? 3rd but practically tied with Lazio....so theres still hope for them to qualify

LOL....yeah true what you say about Austria's league.....though its ironic in a sense England and Spain have the two strongest leagues in the world and both underachieve internationally...Okay forget Italy strong league and national team...although hmmm their league is in decline due to the violence at mo....and look at Greece they won the euro cup and England still haven't!!!!! :thumleft: respect the reigning champs....although i wish Turkey would qualify from your group dunno does Nuri Sahin play for their first team? wanna see him play

Man Utd for the champions league!!!! United Vs Olympiakos in the next round lol

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Nov 20th, '07, 00:44

sahansah: thanks for the update. i just found out that they did not play at all this week, so maybe i shouldn't have rushed to change my lineup.

hey, did you hear about the soccer team purchased by an internet fans?

it's pretty cool that fans can own a soccer team. furthermore, i actually know a guy who is a co-owner!

sahansah

Post by sahansah » Nov 20th, '07, 01:00

yeah yeah I've heard about the fans who bought a club....I was thinking of maybe investing but thought against it....the problem is from what I hear is the people who now own the club have a say in the team selection process to be honest I don't think this would work. I mean how many people own a share in the club?
In a way it undermines the manager/coach who is in a better position to assess the players then say the numerous shareholders and the team I think is a non-league team so how are the people who now own a part of the club going to have the capability to themselves assess the players, not like the teams match's are going to be shown on T.V. and not everyone is going to be able to travel to watch such a team.
hmmmm you have any inside info on how its all gonna wrk? I know probably going to have something to do with voting for the team selection or something but yeah just wouldn't work say in the prem or with a bigger club.

Damn international fixures because of snow or something the match between Serbia and Kazakhstan was abandoned and now is going to be played when United travel to Bolton. The problem is Vidic is Serbian....grrrh :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: Damn you snow, stupid international games....good thing though Ferige united's manager will have the right to not allow Vidic to play for Serbia because the game is going to be played outside the international window :cheers: Fergie say no and :P to Fifa

Btw jholic what team have you come to or already support?

Maryvel

Post by Maryvel » Nov 20th, '07, 13:42

sahansah wrote:XD - it was an accident... :roll ....anyways Owen is like needed by England without him we doomed, doomed I tell ya DOOMED!!! btw the goalie still injured?
Doomed, I get it. :lol And no way is he still injured, it wasn't that bad, but thanks for asking.

I think the fact that Greece won the Euro cup really gave hope to all countries with weak national teams, because it was so surprising, it gives you the feeling that everybody has a chance. I want to believe! :cry:

I just hope Olympiakos wins the next game against Lazio. It will be on the 28th I think. I'm still mad the trainer used such a stupid strategy in the first champions leage mach. He played without any real attackers.
Nobody understood what he was thinking. :cussing:

We could have done much better, if only he hadn't been such a coward.

sahansah

Post by sahansah » Nov 20th, '07, 21:23

Maryvel LOL Greece winning has given me hope that even England stands a slight chance of maybe winning something..... :cry:

I dunno much about Olympiakos or Lazio, how are Olympiakos faring in their home league? Just had a quick look at Serie A and well you play Lazio away right? Well they lost three of their last Serie A games, and out of 5 have only won once at home and lost 3. In all they have played 11 games and languish in 15th place. Olympiakos did draw against Real Madrid at home and gave it their all at the Bernabeu...I didn't see the match but how well were Olympiakos against them? Oh against who did he use no real attackers? was it against Real Madrid home or away match? maybe injuries forced him to, dunno....So Olympiakos do stand some chance of qualifying however its easier siad then done....

Tomorrow England's fututre is decided against Croatia....with no real strikers I'm tempted to say Mclaran should play 5 in Midfield and crouch up front, with Barry as holding midfielder and Lampard and Gerrard given the freedom to bomb forwards....Gerrard can play in the hole just behind Crouch....hmmmm or maybe 4-4-2 with Crouch and Defoe up front....

Maryvel

Post by Maryvel » Nov 20th, '07, 23:17

I think we'll win against Lazio. :lol We're doing fine up until now, better than I expected. Olympiakos is faring alright in their home league, but champions leage is always a different matter...

And the first game was against Real Madrid at home. It wasn't because of injuries, he just didn't use any attackers for whatever kind of reason. I watched the game in greece actually with some greek friends and family and everybody was cursing the trainer. :pale:
We were lucky it ended in a draw, but maybe we could have scored a goal if only.... Well, forget about it.

Anyway best of luck for tomorrow! I definitely want the english team to come to Austria next year. :wub:

sahansah

Post by sahansah » Nov 20th, '07, 23:25

:thumright: hope your team wins against Lazio and all the best with Olympiakos if I had to choose a team to support in greece it would be...Panathinaikos XD jkin totally would support Olympiakos

LOL who in the England team do you like :O ...not Shrek..I mean Rooney XD ha-ha I bet its Beckham....

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Nov 21st, '07, 03:54

sahansah wrote:In a way it undermines the manager/coach who is in a better position to assess the players then say the numerous shareholders and the team I think is a non-league team so how are the people who now own a part of the club going to have the capability to themselves assess the players
you make good points. i brought it up because it was interesting to see it occur. i'll have to ask my friend about the specifics.
sahansah wrote:Btw jholic what team have you come to or already support?
sorry, sahansah, i don't know enough about futbol to have a favorite team. but i have to admit that my friend talks about arsenal so much, i guess that's my default team. am i now your sworn enemy? :lol

Maryvel

Post by Maryvel » Nov 21st, '07, 11:16

sahansah wrote::thumright: hope your team wins against Lazio and all the best with Olympiakos if I had to choose a team to support in greece it would be...Panathinaikos XD jkin totally would support Olympiakos
:cussing: :lol

Actually, the english player I alwas liked most was Owen Hargreaves. Although I'm a girl, I never quite understood what the fuss was about Beckham. It's probably his clothes, they are stylish. :P
But I also like Owen and Crouch, he stands out. :D

Haha, Shrek... :mrgreen:

sahansah

Post by sahansah » Nov 21st, '07, 12:56

jholic yeah it would be intriguing to see how the club develops. Could end up a success!

lol.....It makes us bitter rivals thats for sure.... :x - but I won't begrudge Arsenal the premership title as long as Manchester United win the European Champions league :-)
and if Chelsea win nothing it would be :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Maryvel Beckham is a cash cow thats all he is now, okay he may posess some footballing skills but thats all long gone

Owen Hargreaves is a Man Utd player :cheers: yep and Crouch sure does stand out :lol

Who do you think is going to win Euro 2008?

Maryvel

Post by Maryvel » Nov 21st, '07, 15:24

I haven't really thought about it yet to be honest.

But somehow I have the feeling like it's going to be neither France nor Italy, but I couldn't explain why. Not just because they had a hard time qualifying.
Women's intuition. :lol

Maybe it will be a surprise again. But as much as I'd love to see it, I think it will be hard for Greece to pull such a stunt again... :cry:

Of course I will be more than satisfied if Austria makes it past the first round and that's already going to be difficult for us. But Switzerland has a very determined team, I'm interested already in how far they are gonna make it. Playing a european championship at home will surely inspire them.

England has chances too. France played horrible during the world cup preliminary round, but suddenly woke up then and made it to the finals. Something like that can happen to every team during such a tournament.
World cups and Euros are always special. 8)

Hard to say... What do you think?

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Nov 21st, '07, 23:45

sahansah wrote:jholic lol.....It makes us bitter rivals thats for sure.... :x - but I won't begrudge Arsenal the premership title as long as Manchester United win the European Champions league :-)
haha! got it. ok, since you're helping me out, i'm now pulling for manchester united. :lol
Maryvel wrote:Although I'm a girl, I never quite understood what the fuss was about Beckham. It's probably his clothes, they are stylish.
woah! did i read this right? a girl that's NOT smitten by beckham? that's a first! haha. just kidding!

sahansah

Post by sahansah » Nov 21st, '07, 23:54

Maryvel wrote: England has chances too.
:-( Not any more they don't.....I knew it they were going to lose and they did....2-3 at home non the less. To top it all England played extremely badly I mean very, very, very badly. They were like nobodies. First half in the first 10mins or so England had 2 chances and then after a goal keeping error from Carson England were 1-0 down.....second Croatia goal was down to bad defending. England were outplayed, Croatia payed really good, pressed England and kept the ball. England never even closed down, they let Croatia play. Every player was awful except for Crouch. Players like Gerrard, Lampard never produced. The English defenders were very poor, esp the right back Bridge.
Second half England came out changed system from 4-5-1 to 4-4-2. Replaced Wright-Philips with Beckham and brought on Defoe for barry and Beckham hats off to the guy delivered. First goal England scored was a penalty don't know what the Croatia player was doing pulling on Defoes shirt in Penalty box when the Goalkeeper clearly had the cross covered. Lampard scored and England back in it. Some decent Carson saves and a quality Beckham cross to Crouch who controlled the ball nicely on his chest and cooly shot for goal to equalise. What did England do? Step back and allow Croatia to keep on playing and the 3rd Croatia goal was well a soft goal, noone closed down Petric and he had the space to shot from distance to make it 3-2. England out. End of.

And England deserved to lose to be honest. Croatia deserved to win and England are out of Euro 2008 and a good thing. The manager has to take alot of the blame, he made poor decisions throughout the campaign and when a teamsof Englands calibre had to reply on Israel to hold or defeat Russia for them to still have a chance to qualify well that just says it all. England should have easily won this group and Israel having defeated Russia on Saturday gave England hope and put England's qualification back into their own hands. A important match the England players had to perform with their hearts and they never. They were nervous throughout. I have no idea way Carson was in nets in the first place, sure paul robinson had a couple of bad games then why not play David James? A important game like this and giving Carson a chance was asking for trouble.
Sack the manager, bring in someone with more experience and replace the whole Senior England squad with the England under 21's at least they have more pride in playing for England then most of the overrated Primadonna's in the senior side who believe its there God-given right to play.

England need players who can pass the ball, who can play. England need more options in attack, someone who would succeed Beckham on the right of midfield. We need players who can score out of nothing and practically win games single-handedly. We need players like Messi, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho. Another quality forward and a set of players who don't switch off and play til the last. Now its the time for England to reflect not go crazy and impose quota's on foreign players playing in the Premier league, which I fear might happen as a knee-jerk reaction. Since 1966 (won World cup) what have England achieved when the number of foreign players in top flight football was at a minimum nothing. Its not that English players are not getting the chance to play if they are good enough they will play. Its because they are not good enough. You don't see many english players playing in foreign leagues, thats one problem. The other is the coaching system at grass-roots. Kids should be encouraged to be creative, to be footballers not forced into a system and discouraged to be creative.

boy a long rant....its cuz I'm really, really gutted and very, very mad :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: at the English players..... :-(

I'm gonna be supporting France now lol, who I believe have the talent to win Euro 08 but you can never know.....
Last edited by sahansah on Nov 22nd, '07, 00:04, edited 1 time in total.

sahansah

Post by sahansah » Nov 22nd, '07, 00:00

jholic wrote: haha! got it. ok, since you're helping me out, i'm now pulling for manchester united. :lol
LOL...nah Arsenal are wonderful to watch...I secretly support them shhh lol. Well I'll try my best to help but my footballing knowledge is not all that compared to others....btw buy Ronaldo :D ...in fact buy the whole Man Utd team!!!!
jholic wrote: woah! did i read this right? a girl that's NOT smitten by beckham? that's a first! haha. just kidding!
LOL...it truely is strange ne?.....but she prefers hargreaves...must be the curly long hair :whistling: or him being canadian

Hmmm I would have thought that football being the game it is there would be more people but wow...come on people.....Euro 08!!!!

YaGaMi82

Post by YaGaMi82 » Nov 22nd, '07, 00:09

England are out! We won't be going to the England camp next year when Euro 2008 programmes are on. I can't believe they didn't qualify from that group with the players available. Scotland on the otherhand fought like true lions in their group of death and were really unlucky not to make it. Oh well looks like they gotta get their act together for World Cup qualifiers now.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Nov 22nd, '07, 00:14

sahansah: the thread does have some interest. when you first started it, i was a bit concerned because of what i've heard of some soccer fans (hooligans). it sometimes goes too far (sometimes happens in american sports too, so we're not innocent).

i don't mind a good discussion and friendly trash-talking, but i just don't want any all-out flame wars.

thanks for all your help. will they be playing this weekend?

sahansah

Post by sahansah » Nov 22nd, '07, 01:58

YaGaMi82 yeah....I blame the manager who was not the right man to lead....let's face it alot of the English players have big egos...they were over-confident and maybe I guess injuries to key players when we needed them....but now all concentration on blooding new players from the under 21's and letting them flourish for the next world cup.

Scotland were unlucky...if England were drawn agasint France and Italy I'd have doubt it they would have done as good as Scotland.... :salut: to Scots

jholic yeah the prem restarts this weekend and yeah I never thought about potential flamers...I guess in the heat of things esp passinate fans it can get out of hand....I won't say I'm a passionate Man Utd fan and I recognise the achievements of other teams....even Chelsea :glare: lol

Maryvel

Post by Maryvel » Nov 22nd, '07, 10:36

sahansah I'm so sorry. :cry: I watched the results on teletext all the time during the Austria-Tunesia game and then the wrap-up of the games of the day and I cheered when the score changed to 2:2. I thought that maybe they'll make it after all, but well...

I can understand that you're mad. The first two croatian goals really happend because of bad mistakes on Englands part.
So now I guess we'll organize the first Euro without England in like a century or something like that. :blink

And Scotland really deserves a lot of respect. The world is not fair.
sahansah wrote:
jholic wrote: woah! did i read this right? a girl that's NOT smitten by beckham? that's a first! haha. just kidding!
LOL...it truely is strange ne?.....but she prefers hargreaves...must be the curly long hair :whistling: or him being canadian
It's his name. :lol Hargreaves soundes kind of sexy to me. :wub:

sahansah

Post by sahansah » Nov 22nd, '07, 16:40

Maryvel You see the thing is England lost on purpose because heres the deal they wanted to give other teams the chance of winning Euro 08 because obviously if England qualified they would hvae won it :roll .....Thats what I keep telling myself

LOL well Maryvel you've proved Shakespeare wrong...whats in a name apparently for you everything!...what about Sahansah? how does that rate with you? he-he

England don't think they qualified for the Euro 1984, well least there won't be any English Hooligans spoiling it for everyone :-)
Another plus point it has meant that Steve McLaren has been fired as Englands manager :party: :cheers:

Now who do people think is going to replace him? I think its a job for the "special one" Mourinho...his got a massive ego and he will kick the english players up their asses and bring them back to Earth.

sahansah

Post by sahansah » Nov 23rd, '07, 15:10

jholic Your team line up....Dunn is going to be suspended for one match as is Fabregas so these two won't be playing this weekend. Terry may be fit enough to play but vidic's participation is in doubt after a back problem. Don't know if his going to be fit enough to play on Saturday, we'll find that out on Saturday....

Maryvel

Post by Maryvel » Nov 23rd, '07, 21:14

I'm sure they lost on purpose too. Because the hosts this time don't stand a chance anyway so they were friendly enough to not make it any harder for us than it already is. :lol

And I read in the newspaper today that at least 40.000 English fans are planning to come anyway. That's a good thing. :cheers: