How Do You Watch Your Dramas

Discuss about anything here that doesn't fit in the other categories. Just don't spam.
releanoyed

How Do You Watch Your Dramas

Post by releanoyed » Mar 23rd, '07, 02:03

I am interested in how different people usually watch the dramas they download. What I mean is that while many people simply watch the shows directly on their computer, there have to be other people who prefer the experience of watching the dramas on their televisions.

For instance while all the computers in my house are Macs, we use a Modified Xbox (first gen, not Xbox360) hooked up via componant to our Sony CRT HDTV to play dramas and anime fansubs. We use a program called Xbox Media Center to play the files and it will handle just about any media file type (although it does not much like .rmvb, playback can be choppy) including softsubs. Mostly I burn shows to DVD to save harddrive space but we can also play the shows streaming over our home network from the Macs to the Xbox.

My brother wanted to be able to play shows on his television but needed a simpler solution so we found a upconnverting LG DVD player that will also play Dixv (.avi) files including softsub support. Not nearly as versatile, since you have to burn to DVD first and it will only handle a limited number of files types, but very easy to use and only cost about $80.00 at a big box retailer.

I am real curious about the methods people have come up with to watch their dramas.Particularly several friends of mine are interested in a set up of their own, but it is hard to know what to recommend for a given person with so many different levels of interest and tech savvy between each of them. I figure the more solutions I can find out about the better I can help.

Thanks to anybody who takes the time to reply. :glare:

Big China
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Big China » Mar 23rd, '07, 02:09

I also watch the majority of dramas via my modded xbox1. I stream the 350MB versions and ftp the 700MB+ files to the HDD.

I'm hoping for the day that I'll be able to mod my xbox360...hopefully it'll support higher resolution (720p) that the dramas are being uploaded as recently.
Last edited by Big China on Mar 23rd, '07, 03:56, edited 1 time in total.

christaluvsdrama

Post by christaluvsdrama » Mar 23rd, '07, 02:18

My flatscreen tv is connected to the internet so I can watch my dramas on the television. I download my dramas/movies I also watch them on streaming sites. It sounds sort of complicated the way you watch yours. I wonder how I could do that for my friends pc tho. I use external hard drives for files i can't fit on my pc drive, but I should start burning them so I can keep track of them. I don't know why, but I prefer watching it on my pc more than on my tv even tho im able to. The disadvantage of internet on the tv is that the keyboard is freaking big and weird size.

Aprisea

Post by Aprisea » Mar 23rd, '07, 02:22

I watch it in my computer because the screen 21' is bigger than my tv! XDD anb better resolution^^ Sometimes I burn it on a DVD to watch it on tv although I have a DVD player with Divx subs are really small and I ended blind XD

christaluvsdrama

Post by christaluvsdrama » Mar 23rd, '07, 02:32

Aprisea wrote:I watch it in my computer because the screen 21' is bigger than my tv! XDD anb better resolution^^ Sometimes I burn it on a DVD to watch it on tv although I have a DVD player with Divx subs are really small and I ended blind XD

My screen is that size too :lol but my tv is bigger than that. My tv is collecting dust because I'm always watching it on my pc. I the only time I want to watch dramas on my flatscreen is when i want to watch :wub: ISWAK :roll :wub: so I can have a better look hahahahahaha :mrgreen:

releanoyed

Post by releanoyed » Mar 23rd, '07, 03:41

Actually there is not anything particularly complicated about the set up we use with the Xbox. I download shows to one of two Macs. If I want a hard copy of a show (which I pretty much always do) I burn it off to a DVD. I can pop the DVD in my Xbox and play any shows as simply as playing a conventional movie DVD. If I do not want to mess with DVDs the Xbox can access any media from our Macs' hard drives and play the file over the network. The Xbox is set up to boot directly into the Media Player when you turn it on so watching any show is just a click or two away. The Xbox controller works as a remote (we use a wireless one). The really nice thing is that our Macs are free to do other things (usually look up stuff on dramawiki) while a show is on. The downside of it as a solution for others is that costs at least $180.00 to set up and involves soldering and a complex software installation process. Although I love the way it all works Ithink most people would want a more casual solution.

gtxtom

Post by gtxtom » Mar 23rd, '07, 03:49

I have Dell's 24" widescreen monitor. Perfect for the 16x9 aspect ratio that a lot of dramas are airing at.

steam

Post by steam » Mar 23rd, '07, 03:53

i dump them onto my usbkey(i have a couple of 4gigers) and then pop it into my ps2 and watch them; output onto my plasma.

releanoyed

Post by releanoyed » Mar 23rd, '07, 04:15

Steam,

I asume it is a modded ps2. What software are you using to playback the files on a ps2? Does it require having a hard drive hooked to the ps2 or is the software on a chip? Your solution is exactly the type I am curious about since I am unfamiliar with how it would work using a ps2. Please explain if you have a chance.

To anybody, is anybody using WIndows XP Media Center Edition or VIsta to output shows to their television? Having used Macs since the same year XP came out I have not had a chance to try this funtionality out. I have not, however, heard good things (ease of use mainly) about Windows Media Center.

A solution one friend of mine occasionally uses with his ibook is to plug it into his Sony CRT HDTV (same model as mine) via a minidv to hdmi cable with the sound pluged from his ibook directly into his surround sound system. The he just tells the Mac to treat the television as a second display and plays shows with VLC. The solution works but is seriously inelegent. Plus the sound is less than ideal since the ibook lacks optical audio out.

christaluvsdrama

Post by christaluvsdrama » Mar 23rd, '07, 04:19

releanoyed wrote:Actually there is not anything particularly complicated about the set up we use with the Xbox. I download shows to one of two Macs. If I want a hard copy of a show (which I pretty much always do) I burn it off to a DVD. I can pop the DVD in my Xbox and play any shows as simply as playing a conventional movie DVD. If I do not want to mess with DVDs the Xbox can access any media from our Macs' hard drives and play the file over the network. The Xbox is set up to boot directly into the Media Player when you turn it on so watching any show is just a click or two away. The Xbox controller works as a remote (we use a wireless one). The really nice thing is that our Macs are free to do other things (usually look up stuff on dramawiki) while a show is on. The downside of it as a solution for others is that costs at least $180.00 to set up and involves soldering and a complex software installation process. Although I love the way it all works Ithink most people would want a more casual solution.
oook i understand now. I think I'll try that with my Xbox, but you said the picture comes in choppy with rmvb files? Awwww :cry: I have a lot of dramas that are rmvb files.(ISWAK) I like tho the fact that you said it will play soft subs. So when I burn the drama along with the soft subs It will play in the XBox media player? That sounds kewl. I haven't burned any dramas on to a disc before, so I don't know how that'll turn out. I'm going to try it this week and see if its like you said.

christaluvsdrama

Post by christaluvsdrama » Mar 23rd, '07, 04:29

He's just saving them to a USB(universal serial bus) a portable drive that you can put on almost any pc, video game console, and PDA's and just runs it on the PS2. lol why haven't I thought of that? That sounds so simple and I never thought to use my USB's for that hahaha forget burning I'm going to use my USB's

Big China
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Big China » Mar 23rd, '07, 04:37

christaluvsdrama wrote:He's just saving them to a USB(universal serial bus) a portable drive that you can put on almost any pc, video game console, and PDA's and just runs it on the PS2. lol why haven't I thought of that? That sounds so simple and I never thought to use my USB's for that hahaha forget burning I'm going to use my USB's
I'm pretty sure that you'd still need the ps2 chipped/modded with some sort of 3rd party application running on top of it in order to play any kind of media...But I'm no expert at PS2...

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/3615.cfm

christaluvsdrama

Post by christaluvsdrama » Mar 23rd, '07, 04:43

Big China wrote:
christaluvsdrama wrote:He's just saving them to a USB(universal serial bus) a portable drive that you can put on almost any pc, video game console, and PDA's and just runs it on the PS2. lol why haven't I thought of that? That sounds so simple and I never thought to use my USB's for that hahaha forget burning I'm going to use my USB's
I'm pretty sure that you'd still need the ps2 chipped/modded with some sort of 3rd party application running on top of it in order to play any kind of media...But I'm no expert at PS2...

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/3615.cfm[/i]
Yeah I guess you're right unless he's just watching avi files and without subs, because PS2 does have a media player.

Big China
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Big China » Mar 23rd, '07, 04:46

christaluvsdrama wrote:
Big China wrote:

Yeah I guess you're right unless he's just watching avi files and without subs, because PS2 does have a media player.
There was a guy in San Francisco that I brought my xbox to and he modded it on the spot for $70 ($20 for the chip and $50 for the work). I also brought him a 300GB drive which he installed for free. He was done in 30 minutes.

christaluvsdrama

Post by christaluvsdrama » Mar 23rd, '07, 04:56

Big China wrote:
christaluvsdrama wrote:
Big China wrote:

There was a guy in San Francisco that I brought my xbox to and he modded it on the spot for $70 ($20 for the chip and $50 for the work). I also brought him a 300GB drive which he installed for free. He was done in 30 minutes.
What??? :w00t: I want mine done too :-( Thats a nice price :-) All my friends with that status are away at other colleges and I don't know anyone around school who would know how. :x ur lucky

releanoyed

Post by releanoyed » Mar 23rd, '07, 05:22

Christaluvdrama,

I hope I made it clear that for an Xbox to work like I use it it must be modded. A standard Xbox will only play regular DVDs (with a DVD remote) and audio CDs. To play a burned DVD with media files like .avis, .mkv and .rmvb the Xbox must be modded and have media player software installed. Modding an Xbox involves buying a chip, soldering it properly to the board, reflashing the bios (most tricky part for most people) and installing software to the reformated hard drive. Many people(myself included) stick in a bigger hard drive while they are at it. Sometimes you can find people to hire that do the mod for you(I am not making a sales pitch, I could not do the soldering myself, I had a friend help with much of the work) but the chips seem to run from like 20 to 50 dollars. All the software is free, but can be a little tricky to find.

Real media files can be a concern when it comes to using a modded Xbox the latest version of Xbox Media Center will run .rm and .rmvb files and will run them with .srt softsubs as well. I have however had mixed luck with the playback being choppy. Also, the files are prone to lock up if you fast forward, rewind, or skip around. We are watching Magicians of Love with few problems, but the Smiling Pasta files I have are pretty much unwatchable. However, I solved that by using a program named ffmpegX to turn the Smiling Pasta files from .rm to .avi which I found out how to do here on these forums.

I hope that makes the usefullness (or not) of an Xbox clear for you.

Bruno

Post by Bruno » Mar 23rd, '07, 05:32

I watch this way

I have a DVD Divx Player (LG9913N with Xypro alternative firmware)
with this DivX player, I can watch almost all dramas
it also read subtitles (srt, and ssa), so i watch kdramas with srt subs.

To watch h264 files, i'm thinking in do this:

buy a 15m cable, to plug my PC on TV
what is showing on monitor, will be show at my TV

I save all of my files in DVD-Rs
they're cheap and confiable
a have amost 300 DVD-R :D

o/

releanoyed

Post by releanoyed » Mar 23rd, '07, 05:50

I am actually scared to count my DVD-R collection. I cannot see not backing up all the shows. I never know when a friend might want to see something or I might feel nostolgic.Plus, it makes more sense to go ahead a grab a show when the torrent is young and healthy then to wait until I am ready to watch the show. Often I check out one episode to see if I am interested than collect the rest of the series to the end before watching. We like to watch in marathon sessions. If I did not use DVDs I would never have enough space. 220 gigs of DVD=9.99. 220 gig hard drive=significantly more than 9.99. At least I finally got them sorted by anime and live action and name. I think there is around 500.

InTr4nceWeTrust
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by InTr4nceWeTrust » Mar 23rd, '07, 06:16

for the ones asking about USB drive to PS2, no mod is needed. a media player disc is needed tho. i know that gameshark will allow media to be played via USB drive.

christaluvsdrama

Post by christaluvsdrama » Mar 23rd, '07, 06:22

@releanoyed

yeah i got what u said. I'm not sure I want to do that now tho. I think I rather find other alternatives

christaluvsdrama

Post by christaluvsdrama » Mar 23rd, '07, 06:24

Bruno wrote:I watch this way

I have a DVD Divx Player (LG9913N with Xypro alternative firmware)
with this DivX player, I can watch almost all dramas
it also read subtitles (srt, and ssa), so i watch kdramas with srt subs.

To watch h264 files, i'm thinking in do this:

buy a 15m cable, to plug my PC on TV
what is showing on monitor, will be show at my TV

I save all of my files in DVD-Rs
they're cheap and confiable
a have amost 300 DVD-R :D

o/
how much did you pay for your DVD DivX Player?

releanoyed

Post by releanoyed » Mar 23rd, '07, 07:24

Christaluvsdrama,

Obviously I don't know what bruno payed but the Divx playing LG DVD player I bought my brother was $100 on sale for $80 in January. I found it at Best Buy and have seen Divx capable DVD players at most stores like that (i.e Circuit City, Rex, etc). I found it was easier to first look for upscaling DVD players as they are usually grouped together and thencheck the boxes to see if they are also Divx capable. Upscaling isn't necessary for Divx playback, but upscaling DVD players are considered the fancier DVD players by the general consumer market right now (not counting HD players) and I have never seen a DVD with Divx feaures that was not also an upscaler. As always in electronics retail, never expect the sales people to have a clue, just read the boxes and check models online.

christaluvsdrama

Post by christaluvsdrama » Mar 23rd, '07, 08:21

@releanoyed

Thx so much :) I'm going to best buy tommorow for RAM so I'll check that out. I'll check online for models first, because thats so true about sales ppl in electronics not knowing anything. It pisses me off when I go in best buy and ask about software or be it anything and they have freaking computer to check in there face and they still don't know how to help me.

Kuwa-Jiji

Post by Kuwa-Jiji » Mar 23rd, '07, 11:03

Speaking of Xboxes, when I first heard about the new feature they were adding to the 360, being able to stream video files from a connected PC, I was excited because I thought I'd be able to watch my dramas through it. When it finally come out, it was a disappointment to see it only supported WMV files. That's Micro$oft for you.

vulcan300
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by vulcan300 » Mar 23rd, '07, 12:17

I went to town and built a full on media PC to watch dorama and anime via component HD on my 53" tv.

dual core pentium
oodles of ram
256 meg HD video card
passive liquid cooling
and a slick black metal component case that looks good in the stereo cabinet

All that and over 2K spent and I find out that I can do the same thing for 200 with an old modded XBox :D

So I did the XBox thing too, it works quite nicely. But streaming media via wireless G to the media server is way more elegant.

Both setups are good, the main deciding factor is budget.. The dorama is enjoyable either way

Neji-sama

Post by Neji-sama » Mar 23rd, '07, 12:20

On my bed watching the comp screen ;P

Ked

Post by Ked » Mar 23rd, '07, 13:13

On computer, Cowon or TV (with my Cowon) : That depends where I am.

releanoyed

Post by releanoyed » Mar 23rd, '07, 14:04

Vulcan300,

Nice setup, I'm curious as to what software solution you are using for your media center pc. How stable is it? How easy to use? (Particularly for a casual user, as in those not able to built the PC themselves. A lot of my friends are at the websurf and email level. Just explaining torrents usually takes several sessions before they can find and download them on their own properly.) are there any media center pc software solutions you would avoid? Being a full on Mac head surrounded by PC users has left me real short of advice in this area.

Ked,

Sweet littles players. I had not heard of Cowon until you posted but they look really cool. I'd definately consider picking up a Cowon D2 if I had some money to throw around. Disability retirement sucks. Would you recommend the Cowon media players?

Ked

Post by Ked » Mar 23rd, '07, 14:57

releanoyed wrote:Ked,

Sweet littles players. I had not heard of Cowon until you posted but they look really cool. I'd definately consider picking up a Cowon D2 if I had some money to throw around. Disability retirement sucks. Would you recommend the Cowon media players?
I have a Cowon A2 (with 20Go). Very nice ! :wub:
No problem with subtitle files after an easy firmware upgrade (at first it could use only smi files, now I can use srt files too). Very few avi files can't be played (so I transcode them).
On the other hand, it doesn't manage DRMs. So, some wmv files don't work.
A bit expensive, but I don't regret to have bought it.
I use it when I take public transport (1 hour to go to work).
Very useful to watch movies or dramas on TV (NTSC and PAL) : I don't need to burn CDs or DVDs.

madlandyman

Post by madlandyman » Mar 23rd, '07, 15:31

I watch straight off the pc via a vga cable hooked up to the back of my 27" widescreen LCD TV, screen res 1280*720, sound is by optical cable to a big 5.1 surround amp.
I have tried using my dvd player as it will play the dvix files and the srt, but the quality is better off the pc (the graphics card is optimised for media/video rather than 3D for games). I still use the dvd player for DVD discs as it plays them better than the PC

for those that like tech details my set up is:
Cambridge Audio azur 540R AV receiver
Cambridge Audio DVD86 DVD player
Phiilips media center PC MCP 9350i - K-lite codec pack installed, watching with media center classic (better quality and more stable - i have used media center but it is just a front end for media player and uses more resources and so can give choppy playback.)
Tannoy surround speakers and sub woofer
Logik 27" widescreen LCD TV
PS2

pc hooked up to tv via vga port, dvd and ps2 hooked up via amp with componant cables
all audio by optical cable

also have a big stereo amp and speakers hooked up to the pc for playing my music through

releanoyed

Post by releanoyed » Mar 23rd, '07, 20:50

It sounds like the best approuch for a pc to tv set up is to simply treat the tv as a second moniter and bypass Windows media center usage altogether. What concerns me for many of my friends is the age of their tvs. Few have HD sets and thus most probably lack component hook ups. I know there are video cards with s-video out but I would be concerned about what that does to the display quality. Particularly if they need to buy a new video card to make it work, it would suck if the shows took an image quality hit.

vulcan300
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by vulcan300 » Mar 24th, '07, 01:26

Releanoyed

I'm just using XP with the codec and media player pack from cccp-project.net. All of the computers on my network have file sharing enabled so they are available through the Network Neighborhood and I use a Remote Wonder from ATI to wirelessly control the media server. This way I can surf to any folder on any computer and stream the media of my choice, video or music. And likie madlandyman I have my machine connected to my surround receiver via digital coax cable. So I get dolby digital sound all the time :)

I have Microsoft Media Center on one of my machines, but I don't like it. I don't like watching my media the way bill gates thinks I should. And it's slow even on a blazing fast computer. Bottom line, use whatever works best for you. In my case simple works best. And if one is on a budget the modded Xbox is a great way to go. And it should play nice on a network, even with Macs as its really designed to be used by FTP file delivery and some folder sharing.

releanoyed

Post by releanoyed » Mar 24th, '07, 04:11

For audio I have the Xbox connected with optical cable to a Yamaha surround system. It is amazing the difference surround sound can make on a movie. Less relevent to most dramas, but some of the newer ones have had nice sound encoding.

madlandyman

Post by madlandyman » Mar 24th, '07, 04:53

releanoyed wrote:. I know there are video cards with s-video out but I would be concerned about what that does to the display quality. Particularly if they need to buy a new video card to make it work, it would suck if the shows took an image quality hit.
my last PC had a card with S-video out and it was fine, comparable quality with a dvd player putting out through an S-video port, though it also depended on the encode, i have some files that show no difference being put down s-video or the vga cable.
I noticed one good feature that most graphics cards with S-video have, they will output any video feed fullscreen down the s-video cable, so no need to run the media full screen on the pc, i found this useful as my last pc used about 60% cpu power to play an average divx file, but would rise to nealry 90% cpu time if i ran it full screen, start running other programmes such as bittorent :roll and i started running into problems

Kataastaasang

Post by Kataastaasang » Mar 25th, '07, 20:05

Yep, I run an s-video cable from my computer to TV and I prefer it because of the lower resolution the video quality doesn't look so bad on TV. It's easiest because I can watch with softsubs, watch PPstream or anything else

aj2005uk

Post by aj2005uk » May 7th, '07, 12:45

I watch my drama's on my computer (in my bedroom :D) but... I using Windows Vista, MediaPortal (with lastest SVN), 2.1 Speakers, lastest ffdshow (drevil_xxl version), 17" CRT Monitor (:thumbdown: :thumbdown:), ATi Radeon X1550 512MB and the drama's stored on a 250GB SATA HDD.

fayewolf

How do you watch your J-doramas or K-dramas? PC? Stand Alone

Post by fayewolf » Sep 7th, '07, 15:49

Do you watch your dramas with PC or Stand Alone DVD Player?

If you watch with Stand Alone player, do you mind sharing the make and model? I can't stand the Philips 5982 I got at Costco since it cuts off most of the subtitles, and for some reason it's not even showing the 2nd line when I use subtitle workshop to edit it.

drkazndragon

Post by drkazndragon » Sep 7th, '07, 19:08

IMHO as of this moment, nothing is better at playing dramas than XBMC.

yoda smgee

Post by yoda smgee » Sep 8th, '07, 02:52

Buy a 1080p capable lcd tv. You can use them as a regular tv to play games and whatnot and it can double as a computer monitor at the same time.

fayewolf

Post by fayewolf » Sep 8th, '07, 02:59

yoda smgee wrote:Buy a 1080p capable lcd tv. You can use them as a regular tv to play games and whatnot and it can double as a computer monitor at the same time.
You mean using a 1080p capable lcd will not cut off subtitles?

gelmar

Post by gelmar » Sep 9th, '07, 12:52

I them from my PC, because I still haven't find the cable which is used to connect the two devices.

yoda smgee

Post by yoda smgee » Sep 9th, '07, 18:07

It doesn't cut off my subtitles. I'm using two LCD's. A 19" 720p and a 46" 1080p. Samsung models 1953H for the 19" and 4665F for the 46." Got the 19" for free with the purchase of the 46." The 19" retails for about $400 and the 46" for $2200.

There are no downsides that I see so far with the 46" but with the 19" there's no way to display in high resolution. I can use the full 1920x1080 to view PC output on the 46" but on the 19" I have to use 1024x728 compared to using 1280x1024 on my old CRT monitor. I like displaying things in higher resolution so that I can fit more things in the screen so having objects bigger than they used to be is kind of irritating. Having better video quality is small, small plus, too =P. It is a big plus upgrading from a 15" monitor to a 19" though. I'm currently using vga and component for video but I'll be upgrading to hdmi and optical to try and get the best results once a buy a PS3.
Last edited by yoda smgee on Sep 9th, '07, 18:54, edited 1 time in total.

rxvien

Post by rxvien » Sep 9th, '07, 18:25

I watch them on my philips dvp5982 divx player; player comes w/usb port so I can either burn shows on a disc or connect my external hard drive to the player. It doesn't play all the dramas/anime but it plays a good majority of it. Still a happy camper =)

Marieluna

Post by Marieluna » Sep 9th, '07, 18:35

Well I do the burn the data in a dvd (so my computer doesnt get to full) then I watch them using my x-box :lol so im not the only one that does that :P Its the best! Even taught I do watch them here too since my monitor is 17" so I dont mind much, but that happens when I cant wait to much! Like Why Why Love thats a Drama I have to watch as soon as it finish downloading yey :wub:

oro

Post by oro » Sep 9th, '07, 18:44

i like to watch dramas on my comp, simply b/c i have 2 screens going... so can have one screen dedicated to watching drama... while still see what's going on with my skype & msn

ranmasama

Post by ranmasama » Sep 10th, '07, 15:48

Xbox media center is the best way, I even leave it on the whole day sometimes. Best thing I ever got!

Ponice

Post by Ponice » Sep 10th, '07, 22:59

i stream it through the wireless net on my PS3 <- PC.
works real well and i can enjoy the HD quality on my LCD :)

<3

fayewolf

Post by fayewolf » Sep 11th, '07, 23:20

For those doing the ps2 and usb drive, what programs do you need? I searched and the directions very unclear, some say swap magic, some say Game shark, and some said the ps2 does no need to be modded, but some says if your console is not modded then you can't run game shark? I'm so confused....

itsukiD

Post by itsukiD » Sep 11th, '07, 23:58

question for those of you runnin xbox media center, how often do they supply updates? I was jus wondering cuz of the newer codecs that are being used to encode dramas. I really want to go xbmc but im wary that i'd have to re-encode files in order to watch them.

you mentioned that it will play mkv, avi, and on occasion rvmb, what about ogg/ogm files?

sakr0

Post by sakr0 » Sep 12th, '07, 16:20

I have a 37" HDTV LCD that I hook up to my desktop as a monitor/tv. It helps me conserve space in the living room since I have my computer and tv combined together (I used to have a computer AND a CRT tv in the same room which made the room look smaller). Plus I mostly watch dramas and anime anyway (and not that much actual tv). I'm also a designer, so having a big monitor for certain projects really does help. :wub:

And yes, watching the higher resolution files from D-Addicts really does look nice on my monitor! :thumleft: Thanks to those who provide such large resolution files! :salut:

southbound

Post by southbound » Sep 12th, '07, 19:07

I mostly watch dramas on my laptop, but when more than one person wants to watch I will hook my laptop up to my TV via S-cable. For sound (since my laptop sound is very underwhelming) we use my brother's guitar amp, but that is rough going. There is a lot of feedback so it sounds pretty crappy.

Either way though, I always transfer any drama I download to my external hard drive. I have so little space on my laptop. Sigh!

Myque

Post by Myque » Oct 19th, '07, 21:40

I was lucky and got a good deal on 2 samsung 37" hdtvs and use 1 as a desktop monitor and other to hook up to consoles etc. Unfortunately the tvs are not 1080p and only have 720p but the higher res dramas still look good, so thank you to all the uploaders with HD resolutions :cheers: As an avid fps/mmo pc gamer, big targets are a plus lol. I convert a couple of dramas I like alot to ps3 format to watch if I don't want to leave my computer on, but after watching my brother in law use xbox media center to run dramas from my external hd, it makes me feel like getting one. He a ran a couple and it just downloaded the codecs and ran them without any trouble. I hate having to reencode stuff for ps3. :cussing:

Frick

Post by Frick » Oct 19th, '07, 22:29

I have a 19” computer screen
And a Lcd projector 110”
In my living room
both are directly connected to my computer

I mostly watch on the big screen

arvin_sf

Post by arvin_sf » Nov 1st, '07, 08:05

Xbox media center is the best way
yup, or just from pc to my tv:

southbound

Post by southbound » Nov 1st, '07, 19:40

Wow, dramas on a TV like that... you're making me jealous lol!

Yukumushio

Post by Yukumushio » Nov 9th, '07, 23:33

same here, same here. I just dl or stream on the comp. Like a NORMAL person!!!!

Raspberry Latte

Post by Raspberry Latte » Nov 20th, '07, 00:02

I watch them on my PC first, and the ones I like, I burn on DVD. Also I can download it onto PSP and connect it to my TV screen (really cool, and good quality too). :)

AkumaX
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by AkumaX » Nov 20th, '07, 18:45

Raspberry Latte wrote:I watch them on my PC first, and the ones I like, I burn on DVD. Also I can download it onto PSP and connect it to my TV screen (really cool, and good quality too). :)
haha that's cool Raspberry, i filled up my PSP with dramas too. Can't wait to bite the bullet and get a slim also. The PSP is definitely an underrated device.