[Discussion] Yama-onna Kabe-onna - Itoh Misaki

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
jump

[Discussion] Yama-onna Kabe-onna - Itoh Misaki

Post by jump » May 18th, '07, 11:47

New drama starting at July starring Itoh Misaki!!!!!!!!!!!!

Title: 山おんな壁おんな (Yama-onna Kabe-onna)
Time: Thursday 10pm
Cast: Itoh Misaki
Info: http://wwwz.fujitv.co.jp/fujitv/news/pu ... 7-136.html

Synopsis: Based on the manga of the same title by, Atsuko Takakura. The story revolves around a woman working in a department store Itoh whose meager bust has earned her the nickname of "kabe onna" ("kabe" means "wall" and "onna" means "woman"). Unfortunately for her, a well-endowed "yama onna" ("yama" meaning "mountain") gets assigned to the same department, heightening her insecurity. (from drama wiki)

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » Jul 1st, '07, 15:11

cant wait for this series ^^ looking for translator too ^^ visit my thread in the fansubbing forum ;)

Bodhi

Post by Bodhi » Jul 4th, '07, 21:14

I'd really love to see Yama Onna Kabe Onna, they are my two favorite actresses. I just hope that it's really a great first episode so someone feels like subbing it!

joeboygo

Post by joeboygo » Jul 4th, '07, 21:23

I'm going to check this one out as well. Imagine that, a dorama with a breast fixation! So far this is the only show on my download que this season.

Edit: Whoa. I thought Koike Eiko was gonna be the yama onna. Instead, we get Kyoko the clusterFuk-ada? She's not particularly well stacked, is she?

Ok, by asian standards, perhaps, but in most places where English is widely spoken she's barely average, hardly mountainous at all. I suppose even an average girl will look impressively cantilevered standing beside Itoh Misaki, but I had been looking forward to somebody more bounteous. Somebody along the lines of Harada Ourei or Hanai Miri. It's not as if Kyoko can act any better than those two.

Anyway, this will probably be a "guys only" thread. So gentlemen, don't you find the English translation of the title too literal? Personally, I would have translated it along the lines of "Interesting Woman, Invisible Woman" or "Dearest Friend Woman, Casual Acquaintance Woman" or "Fortunate Woman, Always Striving Woman" or even "Box of Chocolates Woman, Hallmark Greeting Card Woman."

What do you guys think?

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » Jul 5th, '07, 01:06

^ i dont really care.. i just want to watch it!

slashersam016

Post by slashersam016 » Jul 5th, '07, 08:05

^ same here.. i wish you gud luck in finding some translator... ^_^

Itoh Misaki fan here..

chokubi

Post by chokubi » Jul 6th, '07, 08:32

LOL @ 19:50 -> 21:35 dialogue (ep01).

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » Jul 6th, '07, 10:54

ahahah that part is hilarious... she mistook her breasts with the bag.. this drama is really funny :D!

cant believe it.. fukakyon's boobs are really big :O!! did they use some pillow or something or is it really natural?? but i never thought it would be that big

hepcat05

Post by hepcat05 » Jul 6th, '07, 15:02

I decided to watch this without subs, and I agree that it was quite funny. I hope someone subs it too, but with Misaki Itoh, Kyoko Fukada and Eiko Koike starring, I’m going to keep watching either way. :P

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » Jul 6th, '07, 15:05

the sound effect they used for kyoko's boobs :D is funny too

chokubi

Post by chokubi » Jul 6th, '07, 19:40

furransu wrote:did they use some pillow or something or is it really natural??
I'm quite sure they did. If not she prolly undergone surgery, but that's highly unlikely.

sweet-apple

Post by sweet-apple » Jul 10th, '07, 17:12

hahah this serie is pretty funny!! i really like itoh misaki and kyoko!! there are great actresses. I can't wait to watch the rest! :lol

microsoftExcelExcel

Post by microsoftExcelExcel » Jul 10th, '07, 23:29

The relationship chart for this drama is so complicated. :lol
It looks interesting. I'm looking forward to the softsubs.

chokubi

Post by chokubi » Jul 11th, '07, 20:22

Love the sfx they use in this one, comical but subtle.

celticmoon

Post by celticmoon » Jul 12th, '07, 06:34

I totally do not like Ito Misaki or Fukada Kyoko (although I don't hate them), but I was very satisfied with the first episode of the drama. I found it quite funny, although it isn't the most tasteful humor. Lol.

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » Jul 12th, '07, 07:01

i think this drama will be enjoyed more by guys than girls, guys will get struct by the funny parts more than girls..

i believe almost all the scenes are hillarious.. that part where the girl with the air boobs approached the director's son.. and the air boobs deflated.. LOL, the buttons scene xD, the flashback scene where the director's son hit on Ooyama.. hahaha

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » Jul 12th, '07, 07:50

Actually, girls can get quite a laugh out of guys acting like bakas over boobs. Plus, we generally all know at least one person with a breast complex, so I'm finding it very enjoyable. It's probably my favorite drama so far this season.

I loved the deflating bra scene and so did my mom! Apparently, my great aunt had an inflatable bra when my mom was young... and it did indeed go flat frequently. Though mom said it didn't make such a fabulous noise from what she remembers.

And as much as I love Oikawa Mitsuhiro's reactions and the scene starting at 19:48, I particularly adore the bits before that when he's at the counter hitting on Megumi through the ensuing conversation with Mr. Nosehair Toupe.
It's hilarious to see them talking about Marie's cupsize and making all those comparsions. Watermelons. Boing Boing. And the hand gestures! LMAO

Megumi's reaction was great, and the looks on their faces after they realize she heard all of that.... Priceless!

Crazy Penguin

Post by Crazy Penguin » Jul 12th, '07, 08:26

Oh, it's funny, but hell... Some of the jokes are so damn cheap and so typical male. Pie-in-the-face looks like great comedy compared to them.

And Kyoko with those... life-rafts... oivech... Honestly... jeez... I'd like to be at the set with a needle *eyeshift* Gotta find out whether they're balloons or pillows *cackle* I still think her natural size looks better, then again, I don't like big'uns.

However, within all the fun... I think there's also a, somewhat, sad message. The woman gets reduced to her boobs. Oivech.

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » Jul 12th, '07, 08:34

im glad many people like this drama :D and it really worth being subbed ~~!! im being the editor, i have to keep repeating scenes and correcting mistakes etc.. i cant stop laughing everytime lol..

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » Jul 12th, '07, 15:31

Crazy Penguin wrote:However, within all the fun... I think there's also a, somewhat, sad message. The woman gets reduced to her boobs. Oivech.

I'd say it's more like the fact that we all have insecurities, and there will always be someone/something around to remind you of them. You have to first be able to just like yourself. It doesn't matter if it's men ogling a girl with bigger boobs, your boyfriend saying a size 2 super model has a fat *** when you know your size 7 butt is a good deal larger, or somebody with the same talent as you making you feel replacable in a niche you thought you filled. They're all normal human experiences. Our personal insecurities are what magnifies the importance these things have on us. It's good to laugh at it now and again.

So if the women get reduced to our boobs, does that mean we should be suggesting something like....

Worm Man Tree Man

for the sequel? LOL

Here are a couple questions about the drama:

So when it comes to Megumi's nightmare, who does everyone think the person cutting her lifeline is?

Also, I'm figuring Iguchi is the source of her highschool trauma. Any ideas on exactly what happened? I'm gonna say that "wall woman" was probably something he's called her since some embarrassing incident in highschool. I'm curious how she first got that nickname though.

LeperColony
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by LeperColony » Jul 12th, '07, 21:58

Personally, I don't find this show particularly amusing. I have nothing against physical comedy, but I don't think absurd situations can substitute for actual substance. It was a chore to just get through the first episode; how they intend to fill 12 shows with breast related mishaps isn't exactly clear to me.

There's a lot of potential for comedy related to people's various insecurities, but I don't think this is well achieved by reducing characters to characitures. Of course I have only seen the first episode, so things could change as time goes on. But for now, I can't really say I'd recommend this show unless you are looking for cheap, brainless laughs.

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » Jul 13th, '07, 02:10

wow ep2 is so funny!!! and we'll get the sub done by Sunday or Saturday

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » Jul 13th, '07, 02:16

You deserve much thanks and cookies, furransu. You've just made my weekend. I'm watching the raw now. :D Love this show!

chokubi

Post by chokubi » Jul 13th, '07, 04:59

EP2 is so much more funnier than the 1st! :lol
Itou Misaki blurting out "不倫" (furin) @ 34:54; boy did I burst out into laughter on that one.
And the toilet scene @ 39:41. :rofl:
Anyway, I have to say that Itou Misaki's acting has improved a notch.
Can't wait till EP3!

rickt

Post by rickt » Jul 13th, '07, 08:49

just watched ep 1 and I love it! even with this season full of interesting dramas to watch I still look forward to this one the most. haven't seen Kyoko Fukada for a while and glad to see her as a likeable character for a change! although her huge breasts don't seem natural at all...

love the ending theme~ is that the one by EXILE? and I'm curious about this Iguchi character's role between the two leading ladies..

overall, that was a satisfying first episode! can't wait to watch the second one~

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » Jul 13th, '07, 09:33

i think iguchi's role is just to initialize the terms yama and kabe in the series lol... he is not even in ep2.. haha

homemade

Post by homemade » Jul 13th, '07, 16:06

very funny serie! looking forward to it...

Daish

Post by Daish » Jul 14th, '07, 02:21

um, just watched ep1 not long ago. I'm a comedy drama type of guy, I laugh (hard) at almost all sorts of stuff. But i found ep 1 to be not as awesome as everyone say it is...... like the button joke was used 4 or 5 times
I did LOL'd irl when she coughed out the button
. Like someone said before, its ok for comedy but I really don't know how they are going to fill all the episodes with breast jokes to be honest.

And clearly, fukada is stuffed too, to emphasize the "difference"

I hope i enjoy the future episodes better and thanks for the subs as always.

mtrxneo01

Post by mtrxneo01 » Jul 15th, '07, 04:21

hi
i just watched the first episode it was funny and i liked it a lot but just what was the song being played in the background when she goes to buy the dvd really liked it.

homemade

Post by homemade » Jul 15th, '07, 20:40

this is getting better and better...

chokubi

Post by chokubi » Jul 20th, '07, 06:24

Ep3 was absolutely hilarious.
The flying padding scene.
The "disappearing bag" scene (with Megumi's eyes going :shocked:).

And ESPecially Matsubara celebrating his prayers answered (man that has to be the funniest scene ever).:rofl:

niwa1985

Post by niwa1985 » Jul 20th, '07, 17:56

Could anyone tell me, what kind of dialect Iguchi (and Megumi) is (are) speaking?

Megumi says in Episode 1 that it's Tsugaru-ben, but in Episode 2, when she talks with this guy at the gokon, it is said that she comes from Aomori prefecture. So is the latter a part of a larger region, eventually called Tsugaru?

I just want to know for sure (my Geography skills are really bad, to look this up on my own), because I think that it sounds very cool. Might like it better than Ôsaka-ben. ^^

Does anyone know a website dealing with this dialect?

quashlo
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by quashlo » Jul 20th, '07, 22:24

^Aomori is the prefecture. Tsugaru is simply the name for the western part of the prefecture, usually in reference to the Tsugaru Peninsula, which juts into the Tsugaru Strait between Honshuu (the main island of Japan) and Hokkaidou.

As for learning the dialect, it might sound cool, but it's extremely difficult to understand for even native speakers of "standard" Japanese, which means few people, if any, will be able to understand you (assuming you get good enough at using it). Kansai dialects like Oosaka-ben are much more intelligible to the average Japanese.

hepcat05

Post by hepcat05 » Jul 21st, '07, 01:12

Re: Ep3 -- Another hilarious episode. This is the funniest J-drama I've seen since Densha Otoko.

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » Jul 21st, '07, 15:51

lol at aoyagi's "Date"

kyoshin

Post by kyoshin » Aug 5th, '07, 15:04

I wondering does kyoko fukada breast is really that big? I'm mean i watch some of its drama and movie but they were not that big.

Kanin

Post by Kanin » Aug 7th, '07, 20:08

Wow Kyoko and Misaki together. :wub:

I totally love Misaki and Kyoko and it was long time I saw a drama with Kyoko so I'll check this out for sure.

westthen

Post by westthen » Sep 14th, '07, 12:19

Misaki is like OMGWTFGGGG to me haha...i just like her so much...

Yorokobi

Post by Yorokobi » Sep 15th, '07, 00:37

wow this thread hasn't been that active huh?
i just thought id pop in and say that i rather enjoy this series. Ive missed a few of the recent episodes so i was a little shocked to come back into it to find
The mean girl getting married to some random and then our good old kabe-onna get four marriage proposals its crazy.I hope she rejects them all though and just goes of to france with yama-onna but from the spoiler it didnt look that way.

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » Sep 15th, '07, 16:44

Yorokobi, I'm still surprised how little discussion there is considering how much I love this series. *chuckle* Anyhow,
Kazu's not completely random. He's Megumi's cousin, and he's been in something like 3 episodes, I think. It would be surprising to come back to the show now though, because since around episode 7 the plot started taking off more. Ooyama had a lot going on for the last few episodes for sure.

Megumi's wedding nightmare in this episode had me laughing and cringing at the same time. Kuzunuma totally cracks me up! Loved it when he was calling his son after proposing too!

I'm pulling for Masayuki, but just heading off to France with Marie would be good and funny too.

I'm hoping that they're just playing up Iguchi because he's the rival for Masayuki. Afterall, they sure did plenty with Masayuki's jealousy in episode 11. (Those dirty looks that Baby was giving Iguchi at the wedding could've killed! And when he was going to her with the pink roses, but Iguchi got in the way. Love it!) Plus, Megumi seems to be looking at him more seriously now, though she doesn't seem to realize it yet because she's distracted by Iguchi and a few wrong conclusions. Just my take, and I don't mind if I'm wrong.

Matsubara seemed pretty bummed out in one scene of the promo, and I'm wondering if he's gonna finally make a serious move for Marie. His character is another one that's made of pure win.

moderagio

Post by moderagio » Sep 15th, '07, 18:05

ryoko11 wrote:Yorokobi, I'm still surprised how little discussion there is considering how much I love this series. *chuckle* Anyhow,
Kazu's not completely random. He's Megumi's cousin, and he's been in something like 3 episodes, I think. It would be surprising to come back to the show now though, because since around episode 7 the plot started taking off more. Ooyama had a lot going on for the last few episodes for sure.

Megumi's wedding nightmare in this episode had me laughing and cringing at the same time. Kuzunuma totally cracks me up! Loved it when he was calling his son after proposing too!

I'm pulling for Masayuki, but just heading off to France with Marie would be good and funny too.

I'm hoping that they're just playing up Iguchi because he's the rival for Masayuki. Afterall, they sure did plenty with Masayuki's jealousy in episode 11. (Those dirty looks that Baby was giving Iguchi at the wedding could've killed! And when he was going to her with the pink roses, but Iguchi got in the way. Love it!) Plus, Megumi seems to be looking at him more seriously now, though she doesn't seem to realize it yet because she's distracted by Iguchi and a few wrong conclusions. Just my take, and I don't mind if I'm wrong.

Matsubara seemed pretty bummed out in one scene of the promo, and I'm wondering if he's gonna finally make a serious move for Marie. His character is another one that's made of pure win.
I hope so too. Masayuki is really a fun character and has improved a bit during the last episodes. But honestly, i don't believe it. From the preview, if i did understand it well, it seems she will reject Iguchi once and then let him have a second chance. I hope Matsubara will make his move... I mean he was the only one to care about Marie before seeing her breasts :-)

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » Sep 15th, '07, 22:34

moderagio wrote:
I hope so too. Masayuki is really a fun character and has improved a bit during the last episodes. But honestly, i don't believe it. From the preview, if i did understand it well, it seems she will reject Iguchi once and then let him have a second chance. I hope Matsubara will make his move... I mean he was the only one to care about Marie before seeing her breasts :-)

Yeah, but I can think of a few other scenarios that would lead to her asking Iguchi to "propose once more" without her necessarily ending up with him. Especially, if she's trying to sound out his feelings to see whose proposal actually moves her the most, or if she's going to accept him at first only to realize he's not the right one. Previews can be notoriously misleading, otherwise there's no need to watch the episode. :whistling: :lol I'm okay with pretty much any outcome. Heck, she could marry Kuzunuma (impossible!), and I'd probably laugh so hard that I could find it worthwhile.

I'm just really glad that both of her main love rivals have developed personalities in this show. Mostly, I seem to watch shows and find that they have one interesting guy and one guy with as much personality as a cardboard cutout.

Here's my list of pro Baby (nickname for Masayuki since ep 7) scenes/hints:

He's made it onto her radar as of the scene where she saw him sweaty and talking to the security guard. Comedy relief guys don't get on the radar. And in love triangles, it seems the feelings for the rival get spotlighted around the middle of the series (Iguchi). The lead who has been there all along doesn't get to make his big move till the end (Masayuki). :wink:

She looks disappointed when Baby's too busy to talk to her at work after becoming president.

Megumi and Masayuki were both constantly checking the other out at Ooyama's wedding. Masayuki got so jealous of Iguchi he had to leave. I think Megumi initially thought he was uncomfortable because he used to date Ooyama, but my Japanese is extremely limited so feel free to correct me. They got to share a moment highlighted by music when he left too. Contrast that with the fact that she only looked to Iguchi so she could yell at him when frustrated with the group from back home.

Her reaction to him in the store after his daddy proposes for him. She's pensive and awkward rather than just writing such an idea off the way she used to in episode 1.

Baby's proposal is followed up with romantic music, an emotional/awkward reaction, and a prominent cut to remind viewers of the lucky buta. (Iguchi's plays more to shock value, even stopping the upbeat music for a beat. It's not played as romantically.)

Pink--notice just how much pink is associated with him. He's often wearing pink shirts or ties with pink (pink tie while asking her out in the same episode that she thought the pink tie from the goukon guy was a sign), and he even has pink roses for her in episode 11.

Baby is shown becoming a better man because of her influence. Pretty common affect between main couples in Jdramas. While Iguchi seems like he could do without her, Masayuki seems to have more of a built up need for her in the series.

Anyhow, that's a sample of where I'm coming from on why I'm favoring his chances as the final love interest. Right or wrong, at least this is an interesting love triangle. Maybe they could janken for her? LOL

I totally agree about Matsubara. His heart went doki doki from her face alone, and he's been so devoted! :heart: I will forever love his "rain dance".

moderagio

Post by moderagio » Sep 16th, '07, 12:12

ryoko11 wrote:
Yeah, but I can think of a few other scenarios that would lead to her asking Iguchi to "propose once more" without her necessarily ending up with him. Especially, if she's trying to sound out his feelings to see whose proposal actually moves her the most, or if she's going to accept him at first only to realize he's not the right one. Previews can be notoriously misleading, otherwise there's no need to watch the episode. :whistling: :lol I'm okay with pretty much any outcome. Heck, she could marry Kuzunuma (impossible!), and I'd probably laugh so hard that I could find it worthwhile.

I'm just really glad that both of her main love rivals have developed personalities in this show. Mostly, I seem to watch shows and find that they have one interesting guy and one guy with as much personality as a cardboard cutout.

Here's my list of pro Baby (nickname for Masayuki since ep 7) scenes/hints:

He's made it onto her radar as of the scene where she saw him sweaty and talking to the security guard. Comedy relief guys don't get on the radar. And in love triangles, it seems the feelings for the rival get spotlighted around the middle of the series (Iguchi). The lead who has been there all along doesn't get to make his big move till the end (Masayuki). :wink:

She looks disappointed when Baby's too busy to talk to her at work after becoming president.

Megumi and Masayuki were both constantly checking the other out at Ooyama's wedding. Masayuki got so jealous of Iguchi he had to leave. I think Megumi initially thought he was uncomfortable because he used to date Ooyama, but my Japanese is extremely limited so feel free to correct me. They got to share a moment highlighted by music when he left too. Contrast that with the fact that she only looked to Iguchi so she could yell at him when frustrated with the group from back home.

Her reaction to him in the store after his daddy proposes for him. She's pensive and awkward rather than just writing such an idea off the way she used to in episode 1.

Baby's proposal is followed up with romantic music, an emotional/awkward reaction, and a prominent cut to remind viewers of the lucky buta. (Iguchi's plays more to shock value, even stopping the upbeat music for a beat. It's not played as romantically.)

Pink--notice just how much pink is associated with him. He's often wearing pink shirts or ties with pink (pink tie while asking her out in the same episode that she thought the pink tie from the goukon guy was a sign), and he even has pink roses for her in episode 11.

Baby is shown becoming a better man because of her influence. Pretty common affect between main couples in Jdramas. While Iguchi seems like he could do without her, Masayuki seems to have more of a built up need for her in the series.

Anyhow, that's a sample of where I'm coming from on why I'm favoring his chances as the final love interest. Right or wrong, at least this is an interesting love triangle. Maybe they could janken for her? LOL

I totally agree about Matsubara. His heart went doki doki from her face alone, and he's been so devoted! :heart: I will forever love his "rain dance".
Yes Masayuki did make it onto her radar in the 10th episode. But, I beg to differ. Masayuki is the rival here and Iguchi is the lead since Iguchi was the first to be noticed.

When Masayuki leaves the wedding, indeed there's some music in the background. But i won't put too much weight on the music here. Even Kuzunuma has a song when he proposes... And he doesn't have much hope honestly. Yelling and arguments are a part of Iguchi and Aoyagi's relationship. It's pretty usual in a couple in drama (like Proposal daisakusen or Kekkon dekinai Otoko) or anime. Usually, that shows how much they like each other. By the way, she doesn't look really troubled by the fact that he isn't here anymore.

After Masayuki proposes, she indeed thinks about it. The proposal is a romantic scene too. But, the pig isn't a "lucky pig". Actually, that's quite the contrary. Furthermore, the show has made a point to show how ridiculous Feng shui and other superstitions could be. Si i wouldn't either put much thoughts on Masayuki clothes color. (and he actually wears 3 neckties in the episode : a purple, a blue and a pink one)

I agree with the last part. he is a better man and that's important here. But, on the other hand, Aoyagi saw that Iguchi was more than she thought. And there's the childhood friend thing : a pretty common cliche.

blueseeker

Post by blueseeker » Sep 17th, '07, 19:24

Ah you guys are so lucky, am just to episode 8 and am just dying to see some romance happening already. Thank you for the spoiler though, it gives a lot of hope for those of us waiting...hehe.

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » Sep 17th, '07, 21:03

blueseeker wrote:Ah you guys are so lucky, am just to episode 8 and am just dying to see some romance happening already. Thank you for the spoiler though, it gives a lot of hope for those of us waiting...hehe.
There is definitely romance in the second half of the series, and it's been really fun to watch. The series really gets better each week, so you've got lots to look forward to!

@moderagio
I could agree about Iguchi being the lead if it weren't for the fact that Masayuki's feelings for Megumi are the first ones to be established in the series. Masayuki is already established as part of a love triangle involving Megumi and Ooyama before Iguchi ever hits the scene.

The male love rival's main job in these types of shows basically is to distract the female lead from the right guy until she can finally realize her true feelings at the end. He's the guy she initially "thinks" she should be with. Rei thinks she should be with Tada because he expresses his feelings openly. Sumire thinks she should be with Hasumi because he meets the criteria she's set in her head for the perfect guy (not to mention her previous crush on him). Tsukushi originally thinks she should be with Rui because he's the quiet mysterious type who came to her rescue. Aki thinks she should be with her long-distance architect because she's romanticized the idea of waiting for someone.

Jdramas are generally very formulaic about these things. The pattern for romantic comedies seems to be:

Right guy is there from the start --> Girl fixates on wrong guy --> Right guy wins...

So far Masayuki hasn't served as an obstacle to Iguchi at all. In fact, Iguchi does not even know Masayuki exists and by the end of episode 11 it looks like a straight shot for Iguchi. So unless Masayuki manages brilliantly to distract Megumi from Iguchi during much of the last episode, I'd classify Masayuki as a total failure as a rival. Iguchi however fits the role of rival wonderfully. Being a childhoodfriend who fights with Megumi just makes him that much stronger as a rival.

Masayuki could still be the lead who loses the girl, if they want to have a more bittersweet type end. Or he could have been the comedy relief love, but those don't get on the radar generally because viewers are more sympathetic to them. *shrug*

My point isn't just that there's music in the proposal or wedding scene. It's what the choice of music is for each proposal. Music is a big marker for how the audience is meant to react to a scene. Kuzunuma gets comedic music with an over the top wedding march and do wap song. The music reinforces that his proposal is a joke. Masayuki gets the same music that plays when he finally makes progress with Megumi in the scene about the guard. (That's also the music that plays in their moment at the wedding. And later sections of that same song are used when Matsubara and Maria have their romantic moments at the festival and tutoring.) Iguchi gets the upbeat ending theme of the drama to punctuate his proposal, which is the same thing they did in Kimi wa Petto during Hasumi's proposal at the end of episode 7. It's an audio cue that says "plot complication" rather than "romance" to my ears.

And the series seems to both poke fun at and validate superstitions. Notice how calamities really do occur when she's mean to pinky, or the storm comes when Matsubara prays for it. The joke about all the feng shui could turn out to be that it did work, but she was looking at it the wrong way all along. If two guys with pink ties ask you out at the same time when a fortune says you have a chance for a nice date and your lucky color is pink and you have a bad date with one of them, was the fortune wrong or did you just pick the wrong guy? *chuckle*

I don't mind wearing the dunce's hat if I'm wrong, and I certainly think Iguchi has a chance to end up with her. She could still end up single and pick her career too, imo. I can think of a series that just ended that had a very misleading final promo, too. I'm really excited to see how all of this one finally ties up!

moderagio

Post by moderagio » Sep 18th, '07, 11:09

Blueseeker, romance is almost there. The drama is actually getting better when they stop making boob jokes.
ryoko11 wrote:@moderagio
I could agree about Iguchi being the lead if it weren't for the fact that Masayuki's feelings for Megumi are the first ones to be established in the series. Masayuki is already established as part of a love triangle involving Megumi and Ooyama before Iguchi ever hits the scene.

The male love rival's main job in these types of shows basically is to distract the female lead from the right guy until she can finally realize her true feelings at the end. He's the guy she initially "thinks" she should be with. Rei thinks she should be with Tada because he expresses his feelings openly. Sumire thinks she should be with Hasumi because he meets the criteria she's set in her head for the perfect guy (not to mention her previous crush on him). Tsukushi originally thinks she should be with Rui because he's the quiet mysterious type who came to her rescue. Aki thinks she should be with her long-distance architect because she's romanticized the idea of waiting for someone.

Jdramas are generally very formulaic about these things. The pattern for romantic comedies seems to be:

Right guy is there from the start --> Girl fixates on wrong guy --> Right guy wins...

So far Masayuki hasn't served as an obstacle to Iguchi at all. In fact, Iguchi does not even know Masayuki exists and by the end of episode 11 it looks like a straight shot for Iguchi. So unless Masayuki manages brilliantly to distract Megumi from Iguchi during much of the last episode, I'd classify Masayuki as a total failure as a rival. Iguchi however fits the role of rival wonderfully. Being a childhoodfriend who fights with Megumi just makes him that much stronger as a rival.

Masayuki could still be the lead who loses the girl, if they want to have a more bittersweet type end. Or he could have been the comedy relief love, but those don't get on the radar generally because viewers are more sympathetic to them. *shrug*

My point isn't just that there's music in the proposal or wedding scene. It's what the choice of music is for each proposal. Music is a big marker for how the audience is meant to react to a scene. Kuzunuma gets comedic music with an over the top wedding march and do wap song. The music reinforces that his proposal is a joke. Masayuki gets the same music that plays when he finally makes progress with Megumi in the scene about the guard. (That's also the music that plays in their moment at the wedding. And later sections of that same song are used when Matsubara and Maria have their romantic moments at the festival and tutoring.) Iguchi gets the upbeat ending theme of the drama to punctuate his proposal, which is the same thing they did in Kimi wa Petto during Hasumi's proposal at the end of episode 7. It's an audio cue that says "plot complication" rather than "romance" to my ears.

And the series seems to both poke fun at and validate superstitions. Notice how calamities really do occur when she's mean to pinky, or the storm comes when Matsubara prays for it. The joke about all the feng shui could turn out to be that it did work, but she was looking at it the wrong way all along. If two guys with pink ties ask you out at the same time when a fortune says you have a chance for a nice date and your lucky color is pink and you have a bad date with one of them, was the fortune wrong or did you just pick the wrong guy? *chuckle*

I don't mind wearing the dunce's hat if I'm wrong, and I certainly think Iguchi has a chance to end up with her. She could still end up single and pick her career too, imo. I can think of a series that just ended that had a very misleading final promo, too. I'm really excited to see how all of this one finally ties up!
You have some really great argument here. I can see hope for him now :-) Can't wait to see how that will end.
Actually, you're right. There were lot of misleading in the previews this season both in First kiss or Yamada Tarou... But this one is really damn revealing imho. well, wait and see.
Anyway, I'm happy to see the thread "alive".

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » Sep 19th, '07, 21:40

It's great to see life on the thread. The boob jokes really have been replaced by the story now, and it's good. Since most folks are probably watching with the subs, maybe we should back the conversation up to the most recently subbed episodes.

Episode 7:
I knew I had to see Megumi's mom since the episode where Megumi's dad calls her all beaten up after the misunderstanding with Same-onna. She didn't disappoint! She and the dad were hilarious together, and she is a deeply cool character. The little old deaf doctor was a great touch too, and Kazu is funny. It's nice to see more Aomori folks introduced here.

I'm still trying to picture Kokubo-sempai the way he was in highschool, because he really couldn't be any different from the description he gave while talking at the bar. *chuckle* I would have to imagine the shock of meeting him again after such a dramatic change would be quite the trauma for Megumi. As if, she didn't have enough traumas! He was actually pretty cool, and I wouldn't mind seeing him again. Maybe he could be a bridesmaid if Megumi ever gets married.

I really like all the characters in this series, so it's awesome to see Ooyama's story arc starting to take off here. We certainly know why she's frustrated with her career presently. She and Megumi are great foils, so I'm totally digging the way that their stories mirror each other here. Megumi's frustrated, so she considers throwing herself into a miai, and Ooyama courts switching to another store where she can get ahead faster. Neither feels like they are being recognized for their talents at Marukoshi during the episode, so it's quite interesting to see how alike the two women really are under their chest sizes. While Megumi gets all those lovely phone calls, Ooyama's really doesn't have all the close friends that Megumi does.

I thought the miai guy was kinda creepy, but the conclusion was pretty funny and rather inevitable. The sparks are starting to get more serious here between Megumi and Iguchi too. I like the way he seems to be trying to prod her along out of the excuse of her old highschool traumas, and her revenge with the plaster was funny when she got mad at him. Meanwhile, Masayuki couldn't have looked more pleased about the fact that Megumi didn't hook up at the miai. He's adorable as ever in this episode.

Maria did great with the Bon lady. She makes a great manager.
Episode 8:
These are getting so good! Hooray for the return of Pinky! Seriously, there's something about that darned pig that's really adorable. I'd love one of those, since the boob bag would be waaaay to embarrassing to actually use around here.

So Tamura-buchou is heading off to Shanghai, and he wants to take Megumi with him. Ooyama is leaving for Belgary. Kuzunuma is becoming 1st Floor Manager. Some nice shifts are happening to shake everything up.

Tengu no Kanabu always gives me a laugh! I adore the way Tamura gives that dopey little grin when he's drinking it with Shacho. LOL He's like a naughty little boy. I also liked the trick they played about all this in the preview for this episode, where they took Tamura's "I need you" from the job offer totally out of context and played it during the bridge scene instead. That was nicely evil of them.

It played beautifully when Megumi tried to pass the bad-luck buta off to Iguchi, but instead she had her romantic moment watching him in his work. Loved Megumi trying to exorcise Pinky! "Pinky is drowning" *chuckle* That scene was great.

I also loved Kuzunuma celebrating in the bathroom and dancing around with Matsubara. They've both got wonderful timing and expressions. Great comedic ensemble!

Matsubara was quite funny at the restaurant scene too. The turning table was cute, when he realizes just who is taking too much food. I also loved everyone's hangover the next morning and the bit about Matsubara when they took him home.

Masayuki's scene confronting Tamura was one of my favorites. Blackmailing him with the Tengu no Kanabu was cute. Then they decided to settle it the manly way... with janken. LOL I'm wondering just how long the battle raged. Apparently Masayuki won, but I'm wondering just how Megumi would react if she knew about the whole thing. I've actually got a lot of questions about exactly what happened with him trying to stop her transfer.

With Kuzunuma taking over as 1st Floor Director, I would think that Megumi should have at least been promoted to Kuzunuma's old position, but Shacho didn't say anything to her about it.

Loved Kuzunuma's first morning meeting, but I'm still trying to figure out exactly what his "mistake" was. The reaction makes it look like he says something dirty. From the response I'd expect "chinchin" or "shishi" or something in there, but I'm not hearing anything that I recognize. My eternal gratitude goes out to anyone who can clear that scene up for me.
Finale airs tomorrow. I'm so excited! No clue what I'm gonna do without this show to look forward to every week. :unsure:

Gir

Post by Gir » Oct 10th, '07, 03:41

I was just wondering if anyone knew the name of this actress? She looks familiar, but I can't figure out who she is.

Image[/img]

atskv9

Post by atskv9 » Oct 10th, '07, 04:12

Gir wrote:I was just wondering if anyone knew the name of this actress? She looks familiar, but I can't figure out who she is.

Image[/img]
Is this the girl? http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Uehara_Misa
There are two girls in this drama that look a ton alike. One of Aoyagi's friends and one of Ooyama's friends. That girl is definitely one of them.

kamkar1

Post by kamkar1 » Oct 10th, '07, 04:20

My personal opinion only:
I think the boobs jokes are hilarious, original and funny. I am a kabe onna and that who I am. This is one of few dramas that even though there are a lot of sexual comments and stares and gestures I as a female do not get offended. This drama has everything and nothing is a cliché. If you pay attention there is no prince charming or a perfect princess in this drama everyone has a flaw and that is what makes it so real and funny.
I just finish watching episodes 9 and I think up to now this was the best episode. Did't you loved the heating part and ice packs?
cheers

Gir

Post by Gir » Oct 10th, '07, 17:56

atskv9 wrote:
Is this the girl? http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Uehara_Misa
There are two girls in this drama that look a ton alike. One of Aoyagi's friends and one of Ooyama's friends. That girl is definitely one of them.
Nope, Misa Uehara is one of Aoyagi's friends, the one I'm wondering about is the friend of Ooyama. But thanks for trying,

atskv9

Post by atskv9 » Oct 10th, '07, 19:37

Gir wrote:Nope, Misa Uehara is one of Aoyagi's friends, the one I'm wondering about is the friend of Ooyama. But thanks for trying,
I tried looking through the wiki but I couldnt find much. I guess you've probably been through it too.

MitsukaiKuroi

Post by MitsukaiKuroi » Oct 10th, '07, 21:52

kamkar1 wrote:My personal opinion only:
I think the boobs jokes are hilarious, original and funny. I am a kabe onna and that who I am. This is one of few dramas that even though there are a lot of sexual comments and stares and gestures I as a female do not get offended. <snip>
cheers
Same here!!! I am not offended at all with this drama! I die laughing every time that button goes flying across the room! Itoh Masaki cracks me up in this one and I think that it is a nice departure from many of the roles that I have seen her in.

All of the characters (even the jerky ones!) are genuinely likable. That is hard to do in a series. This has become one of my faves from this Summer's lineup but I am waiting for the subs for the last two eps. to finish it! (Desperately trying not to watch it without the subs! :P )

frashdi87

Post by frashdi87 » Oct 10th, '07, 22:14

really?
i thought girl will offended to the series..
but i wonder is kyoko fukada is that big..

atskv9

Post by atskv9 » Oct 10th, '07, 23:47

MitsukaiKuroi wrote:This has become one of my faves from this Summer's lineup but I am waiting for the subs for the last two eps. to finish it! (Desperately trying not to watch it without the subs! :P )
Uhh, three more eps right? since 9 was just released and there are 12 eps. unless you have a different subbing source!
frashdi87 wrote:really?
i thought girl will offended to the series..
but i wonder is kyoko fukada is that big..
I don't think Kyoko Fukada is that big. I think she has larger ones to begin with, but they probably use a lot of padding and push up to reach the size they are on the drama.

kamkar1

Post by kamkar1 » Oct 11th, '07, 00:05

MitsukaiKuroi wrote:
kamkar1 wrote:My personal opinion only:

Same here!!! I am not offended at all with this drama! I die laughing every time that button goes flying across the room! Itoh Masaki cracks me up in this one and I think that it is a nice departure from many of the roles that I have seen her in.
:P )
wow you are so right I was thinking the same I was so tired of her playing the same role agian and again it is a nice change...and I have a hard time not watching the rest of the episodes in raw.
:roll

Qri

Post by Qri » Nov 9th, '07, 20:12

Anyone knows what is the artist/song playing at background in Episode 1 @ 49:33 - 50:00 ?

atskv9

Post by atskv9 » Nov 9th, '07, 21:48

Qri wrote:Anyone knows what is the artist/song playing at background in Episode 1 @ 49:33 - 50:00 ?
Sounds really familiar. Could be Avril Lavigne...

Qri

Post by Qri » Nov 9th, '07, 22:23

atskv9 wrote:Sounds really familiar. Could be Avril Lavigne...
Yeah you're right, it's a song from her new album.
Last edited by Qri on Jan 12th, '08, 21:48, edited 1 time in total.

karin-chan

Post by karin-chan » Nov 10th, '07, 16:59

hey guys how do you find the drama? i think this is comedy so im gonna watch this one

atskv9

Post by atskv9 » Nov 10th, '07, 23:44

karin-chan wrote:hey guys how do you find the drama? i think this is comedy so im gonna watch this one
Download the RAW video files off this site: http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/torrents ... =yama+onna
you're going to need to do torrents for it
then download the sub files at the first page of this thread: http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_50618.htm
Last edited by atskv9 on Nov 19th, '07, 22:14, edited 2 times in total.

karin-chan

Post by karin-chan » Nov 19th, '07, 13:45

^^^

wow thats super atskv9... thanks!!!... is it worth watching?

atskv9

Post by atskv9 » Nov 19th, '07, 22:17

karin-chan wrote:^^^

wow thats super atskv9... thanks!!!... is it worth watching?
yes it is worth watching :thumleft: The show is very funny and the interaction between everyone is great. All the roles are pretty believable too which is nice. At first the drama is pretty light-hearted but towards the end, it's focusing on some more adult situations such as love.

Note that I changed my above post since I posted it incomplete. Everything should be correct now.

irish_robz

Marie's breasts

Post by irish_robz » Feb 22nd, '08, 08:04

Can someone confirm to me that Mariya Marie's breasts are actually fake i.e. they're just large for this drama, right? Because Fukada Kyoko's are nowhere like Marie's in real life? :nuts:

atskv9

Post by atskv9 » Feb 22nd, '08, 08:10

I think everyone pretty much agreed that they had to be fake. The size was ridiculous and they were bigger than Fukada's in real life (even though hers are large to begin with). I think the point with her character was to make her look comical so artificial enhancement was definitely required. If you are looking concrete evidence, then that might take some digging and it probably won't be in English.

TerryBogard

Post by TerryBogard » Apr 19th, '08, 23:40

Just finished watching it today. I enjoyed this series. Honestly though, I think they could've done a better ending.
I don't like the part where Aoyagi sacrificed her training and Iguchi left for Dubai. It kinda gave me the impression that only aoyagi was thinking about thier relationship and Iguchi wasn't because he just left without even telling her in advance.
But all in all, I enjoyed the series. I also love the soundtrack. I love the music(BGM) they used for this show. Its really catchy. I still hum it up to now while typing. What the?!!!

Is the soundtrack available for download? I can't seem to find it anywhere. :(

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » Apr 22nd, '08, 02:25

TerryBogard wrote:Just finished watching it today. I enjoyed this series. Honestly though, I think they could've done a better ending.
I don't like the part where Aoyagi sacrificed her training and Iguchi left for Dubai. It kinda gave me the impression that only aoyagi was thinking about thier relationship and Iguchi wasn't because he just left without even telling her in advance.
But all in all, I enjoyed the series. I also love the soundtrack. I love the music(BGM) they used for this show. Its really catchy. I still hum it up to now while typing. What the?!!!

Is the soundtrack available for download? I can't seem to find it anywhere. :(
The background music was fab! I always end up humming 05-ピンクの豚 (Pinku no Buta) and number 12-哀愁のデパガ. Those are the songs that usually play when things are frantic or when people are sneaking around and plotting. :lol (I love the romantic songs too.) Here's a link for the soundtrack:

OST
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WGPAK4US

About the ending:

The series is based on a manga, which is still running. I think there were about 6 volumes out last summer when they were working on the drama. Volume 8 comes out April 23, 2008. No clue how long it's going to continue running, but I suspect that contributed to them using a mechanism that ensured the ending still remained open.
I felt it made Iguchi less endearing too to have him just take off after her sacrificing France, but since Masayuki is refusing to give up on her it kind of made me happy too. :whistling:

You could probably make a case for it being Iguchi's way of trying to make her feel better about going to France, since he didn't know about her decision to not go. Even so, I don't like how he didn't even talk to her about it before just showing up and announcing he was off. He didn't feel as serious about a relationship as she was to me either.

I try not to overanalyze that one too much though, since I think it was mostly a comic device to leave the ending open while giving viewers some kind of development too.
The messageboard on the official site has lots of the viewers asking for a continuation. I wouldn't mind that at all, provided they have enough manga to work from and don't just leave us hanging again.

Gir

Post by Gir » Apr 22nd, '08, 02:53

I watched this a little while ago, and then I just watched Ringu 2 the other day.
And I was wondering who the an actress was, it was Fukada Kyoko, I didn't even recognize her. Of course there were 8 years in between, but I was surprised when I saw it was the same actress for Mariya Marie.
Attachments
Fukada Kyoko in  Ringu 2
Fukada Kyoko in Ringu 2
snapshot20080421224619.jpg (21.59 KiB) Viewed 4476 times

underdose

Post by underdose » Apr 25th, '08, 08:00

The background music was fab! I always end up humming 05-ピンクの豚 (Pinku no Buta) and number 12-哀愁のデパガ. Those are the songs that usually play when things are frantic or when people are sneaking around and plotting. :lol (I love the romantic songs too.) Here's a link for the soundtrack:

OST
Oh thanks a lot for the OST !
i've been looking for it so long time.

love this dorama ...
just finished it the third time today :O

my beloved misaki-san is incredible :wub:

TerryBogard

Post by TerryBogard » Apr 25th, '08, 19:09

ryoko11 wrote:
TerryBogard wrote:Just finished watching it today. I enjoyed this series. Honestly though, I think they could've done a better ending.

OST

About the ending:

The series is based on a manga, which is still running. I think there were about 6 volumes out last summer when they were working on the drama. Volume 8 comes out April 23, 2008. No clue how long it's going to continue running, but I suspect that contributed to them using a mechanism that ensured the ending still remained open.
I felt it made Iguchi less endearing too to have him just take off after her sacrificing France, but since Masayuki is refusing to give up on her it kind of made me happy too. :whistling:

You could probably make a case for it being Iguchi's way of trying to make her feel better about going to France, since he didn't know about her decision to not go. Even so, I don't like how he didn't even talk to her about it before just showing up and announcing he was off. He didn't feel as serious about a relationship as she was to me either.

I try not to overanalyze that one too much though, since I think it was mostly a comic device to leave the ending open while giving viewers some kind of development too.
The messageboard on the official site has lots of the viewers asking for a continuation. I wouldn't mind that at all, provided they have enough manga to work from and don't just leave us hanging again.
Thanks for the link ryoko11! But I can't seem to download from megaupload. That country limit is a pain.

If anyone could upload it on a different site (or torrent it), Please do. I will be greatly indebted to you. :)

I hope I did not sound like I'm overanalyzing the ending. Believe me I didn't. That was just the impression it gave me and I just didn't like it. But hopefully, there will be a season 2 for this series.

underdose

Post by underdose » Apr 26th, '08, 07:16

Thanks for the link ryoko11! But I can't seem to download from megaupload. That country limit is a pain.

If anyone could upload it on a different site (or torrent it), Please do. I will be greatly indebted to you.
http://rapidshare.com/files/110479135/Y ... T.rar.html

hopefully, rapidshare works for you

it's such a great OST :wub:

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » Apr 26th, '08, 15:41

TerryBogard wrote: I hope I did not sound like I'm overanalyzing the ending. Believe me I didn't. That was just the impression it gave me and I just didn't like it. But hopefully, there will be a season 2 for this series.
I don't think you sounded like you're overanalyzing the ending. I just think I had a tendancy to do so after seeing the drama. I finally had to stop, though I'd still love to track down the manga to see how similar/different the two are.

TerryBogard

Post by TerryBogard » Apr 26th, '08, 18:57

underdose wrote:

If anyone could upload it on a different site (or torrent it), Please do. I will be greatly indebted to you.
http://rapidshare.com/files/110479135/Y ... T.rar.html

hopefully, rapidshare works for you

it's such a great OST :wub:
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANKYOU!!!!

Rapid share works fine! ^_^

Its really a very good OST. Its one of those OSTs where I like every single track. My favorites among the tracks are toki no kakera instrumental (piano version is really beautiful) and Aisho no Tepaga (哀愁のデパガ).

I'm definitely going ask my friend to get me a copy of this.

Again, many thanks to you and ryoko11. ^_^

Lookign forward to a second season for this (although I have a gut feeling there won't be). :(

silencio

Post by silencio » Sep 29th, '08, 07:47

watched ep 1 through Youtube. very Hilarious!

misaki fan here!

silencio

Post by silencio » Oct 5th, '08, 09:12

very nice Ending Credits, Misaki is so kawaii posing as a saleslady.

very simple plot, slice of life is a retail store drama. Im enjoying this series