What do you rank as the most SADDEST KOREAN drama?

Discuss Korean drama series here.
FishyMan

What do you rank as the most SADDEST KOREAN drama?

Post by FishyMan » Mar 29th, '07, 07:37

I am trying to DL but I am having trouble finding which ones. I have not watched KOREAN drama before.

christaluvsdrama

Post by christaluvsdrama » Mar 29th, '07, 07:43

1 Autumn Tale :cry:
2)Tree of Heaven :cry:
3)Stairway To Heaven :cry:

These are all so sad I could cry :cry: :cry: :cry: :-(

FishyMan

Post by FishyMan » Mar 29th, '07, 07:44

Do you know where I can DL them?

christaluvsdrama

Post by christaluvsdrama » Mar 29th, '07, 07:48

FishyMan wrote:Do you know where I can DL them?
they're licensed so you can't download them anymore.

FishyMan

Post by FishyMan » Mar 29th, '07, 08:20

oh so what can i do?
which ones are available to DL ?

shin-bi

Post by shin-bi » Mar 29th, '07, 08:52

The saddest korean movie is "Tree of Heaven".
Attachments
imagesCAH0TI35.jpg
imagesCAH0TI35.jpg (4.72 KiB) Viewed 13928 times

hacksign

Post by hacksign » Mar 29th, '07, 09:34

I'll agree with all the one mentioned already and I'll add I'm Sorry, I Love You to the list. Technically it only gets sad in the last half of the drama but the whole theme is pretty much depressing.

Because of licensing issues you can't download most of them here. Still, you can get them off of clubbox if you know how to use it. Might take a while since they're not being download as much now but they're still there if you want. I think http://clubbox.co.kr/japaneseguy has most of what were mentioned. If not, I'm sure there are some good, sad dramas available here that I haven't seen yet.

CaritoAgu

Post by CaritoAgu » Mar 29th, '07, 14:19

Please add The Snow Queen also! Makes you cry in every episode!! But still, it is sooo sweet! :P

tisa

Post by tisa » Mar 29th, '07, 14:32

FishyMan wrote:oh so what can i do?
which ones are available to DL ?
If you're ok with LQ you can also get these dramas here:
Autumn tale
Tree of heaven
Stairway to heaven

Superkyle

Post by Superkyle » Mar 29th, '07, 14:51

1) Sad Love Story
2) I'm Sorry, I Love You

beertax

Post by beertax » Mar 29th, '07, 14:59

I think it depends on the viewer. Personally, I do not find dramas that are overly dramatic to be truly tear jerking. For example, Autumn Tale, known as one of the more famously tragic love stories, had moments that made me shed a few tears here and there, but because the story had way too many such scenes, because the story tried too hard, and because the story played on the same theme one too many times, I felt the overall tragedy weakened.

Also, I found Stairway to Heaven not sad because I could not get over the fact that the two female leads were so one-dimensional. The good female lead was too good, while the evil female lead was, simply put, almost purely evil. Instead of being full human beings, they were almost wholly caricatures of good and evil whose interactions ended up being comical rather than humanly tragic.

I think truly sad stories are stories that portray fully human characters who defy tragedy to the end and try to live beautiful lives in spite of the harsh reality surrounding them. So may I recommend "A Ruler of Your Own World." It is one of maybe three KDrama that make me proud of the whole KDrama genre. Unfortunately, you will most likely have to purchase it over ebay or on yesasia.com. But google this drama and read the reviews. They are almost universally positive and glowing.

maakopla

Post by maakopla » Mar 29th, '07, 20:17

I think Sang Doo was the saddes one I´ve seen. I like comedy much more so I haven´t seen any other sad one except A Love to Kill. But Sang Doo was the one and only drama that made me really cry.

christaluvsdrama

Post by christaluvsdrama » Mar 29th, '07, 21:59

beertax wrote:I think it depends on the viewer. Personally, I do not find dramas that are overly dramatic to be truly tear jerking. For example, Autumn Tale, known as one of the more famously tragic love stories, had moments that made me shed a few tears here and there, but because the story had way too many such scenes, because the story tried too hard, and because the story played on the same theme one too many times, I felt the overall tragedy weakened.

Also, I found Stairway to Heaven not sad because I could not get over the fact that the two female leads were so one-dimensional. The good female lead was too good, while the evil female lead was, simply put, almost purely evil. Instead of being full human beings, they were almost wholly caricatures of good and evil whose interactions ended up being comical rather than humanly tragic.

I think truly sad stories are stories that portray fully human characters who defy tragedy to the end and try to live beautiful lives in spite of the harsh reality surrounding them. So may I recommend "A Ruler of Your Own World." It is one of maybe three KDrama that make me proud of the whole KDrama genre. Unfortunately, you will most likely have to purchase it over ebay or on yesasia.com. But google this drama and read the reviews. They are almost universally positive and glowing.
Speaking of 'Ruler of Your Own World/As You Wish' for those who have AznTV Channel at home. Its suppose to show again on TV if you guys want to watch it. It has English Subtitles btw.

I liked 'As You Wish' too, but the things about the drama's we watch here majority of them are unrealistic. We as fans appreciate them for that fact. Our escapist personalities prefer to see things that don't happen in our real lives, because we want to get away from reality for a while. Drama's like these just simply make us happy.

beertax

Post by beertax » Mar 30th, '07, 01:14

christaluvsdrama wrote:
beertax wrote:I think it depends on the viewer. Personally, I do not find dramas that are overly dramatic to be truly tear jerking. For example, Autumn Tale, known as one of the more famously tragic love stories, had moments that made me shed a few tears here and there, but because the story had way too many such scenes, because the story tried too hard, and because the story played on the same theme one too many times, I felt the overall tragedy weakened.

Speaking of 'Ruler of Your Own World/As You Wish' for those who have AznTV Channel at home. Its suppose to show again on TV if you guys want to watch it. It has English Subtitles btw.

I liked 'As You Wish' too, but the things about the drama's we watch here majority of them are unrealistic. We as fans appreciate them for that fact. Our escapist personalities prefer to see things that don't happen in our real lives, because we want to get away from reality for a while. Drama's like these just simply make us happy.
That's true. Ultimately, ROYOW made me all warm and tingly inside when I watched the final scene.

I guess what makes me tear up are the beautiful moments sprinkled within the sea of harsh and sad reality that dramas depict, because such moments are rare and therefore precious. That's why a pre-requisite for my tearing up would be a storyline that is both logical and within the realm of mathematical likelihood (as opposed to two siblings being separated at birth, and becoming opponents for the same love interest twenty years later... or God forbid, lovers :crazy: ) I just have to be able to swallow the plot before anything.

Hachiko-chan

Post by Hachiko-chan » Mar 30th, '07, 14:17

Autumn tale and I'm sorry i love you :cry:

Lavendar

Post by Lavendar » Mar 30th, '07, 14:38

Hi there..

i havn't seen alot of the korean dramas..
But so as the most SADDEST KOREAN drama so far is : Save The Last Dance For Me ..

i like it alot ! yet i feel sad when i remember it :cry: :wub: !

XD

snowstrutt

Post by snowstrutt » Apr 24th, '07, 08:00

1. Stairway to Heaven.
2. Sorry I love you

arabian

Post by arabian » Apr 24th, '07, 08:17

There are a lot: :cry:

Heaven's tree..
I'm sorry I love you..
Snow Queen..
stairway to heaven..

donna8157

Post by donna8157 » Apr 24th, '07, 15:42

I'm Sorry I Love You
Autumn Tale (I only cried in the beginning 3 episodes with the little kids)
Stairway to Heaven

wuff

Post by wuff » Apr 24th, '07, 16:16

i have not seen the previously mentioned dramas and movies, but which was very very sad to me was the Crazy for you. i have cried a lot at the beginning and i think there were not any funny scenes.

eUxaZnxRo

Post by eUxaZnxRo » Apr 24th, '07, 16:32

i haven't seen that many Kdramas, but i think that Stairway to Heaven was just soo depressing... I cried and cried and cried :cry: :cry: :cry:
"OPPA!!!"

isbes83

Post by isbes83 » Apr 24th, '07, 16:42

the saddest would be Stairway to heaven. i cried in every episode i thinked. and i'm sorry i love you is like the korean version of romeo and juliet. some of my friend think winter sonata and autumn in my heart were the saddest korean drama. but it's up to you.

Superkyle

Post by Superkyle » Apr 24th, '07, 21:39

I'm Sorry I Love You
Sad Love Song

those are what i said before but i think even though it had a
happy ending
Delifghtful Girl Choon hyang, it made me cry so much, why couldnt the people let them be
together, why! Why! WHY!!!

luwaring

Post by luwaring » Apr 26th, '07, 02:12

A lot of male friends told me that they rarely cry while watching movies and dramas but that they did during "Sorry I Love You".

nophankh

Post by nophankh » Apr 26th, '07, 02:27

I'm not emotional robotic, but I laughed while watching the "notebook" in the theater. I have no patience for sad k-dramas or any sentimental movies or shows. I hated watching autumn in my heart. Seriously, I just wanted to kill someone when I watched that drama. If it's sad and it ends poorly, I can't tolerate that ****.
Last edited by nophankh on Apr 26th, '07, 02:35, edited 1 time in total.

zooey
Philippines

Post by zooey » Apr 26th, '07, 02:31

Hard to say which one is the saddest because there are a lot of melodramatic elements in a korean drama combined with the usual plot of having one or more of the characters meet an untimely death due to an accident or an incurable disease. But here's my shortlist:

1. Autumn Tale
2. Sorry, I Love You
3. It Happened in Bali or Memories in Bali (not so sure if you can consider this sad as it is tragic)

nayti05

stairway to heaven, and snow queen

Post by nayti05 » Apr 26th, '07, 02:52

meera

Post by meera » Apr 27th, '07, 23:50

d saddest kdrama...im sorry i love you....
autumn in my heart/autumn tale

kliquey

Post by kliquey » May 2nd, '07, 02:24

Stairway to Heaven, Autumn Tale, I'm Sorry I Love You.

Not a sad drama but, in fantasy couple

*Spoiler*
When the lead female was gonna leave and went to say goodbye to the kids, I thought that was a tear jerking moment =x

babyxdorkii

Post by babyxdorkii » May 2nd, '07, 02:33

let's go to school sangdoo.

make me cried heaps.

kliquey

Post by kliquey » May 2nd, '07, 02:44

^ Oh yes that one too

Fin_gurly

Post by Fin_gurly » Jun 8th, '07, 20:28

MISA one of my fav k-drama :cry: Tree of heaven :cry: there where also 90 days, Time to love(it was kinda sad,especially the end..) :cry:

cherillyn

Post by cherillyn » Jun 11th, '07, 07:40

My comment would be limited to those I have watched since I have a weak heart and can't bear to watch too many tear-jerking dramas unless drawn to it by my favourite actors/actresses hehe

My vote goes to:
1. Stairway to Heaven
2. MISA
3. Wonderful Life
4. My 19 year old sister in law
5. Gumiho

I'll be watching Snow Queen very soon and I heard that Tree of Heaven was heart wrenching too and rather similar to STH.

Bam-Bam

Post by Bam-Bam » Jun 11th, '07, 20:18

Winter Sonata is still my favorite. Almost perfect.

What is it about Winter Sonata that touches so many women of all ages throughout Asia? Upon a closer scrutiny, this Korean TV drama series offers more than a complex love story, intriguing plot twists, good acting, memorable scenes and lines, not to mention, breathtaking winter scenery backed up by melancholic music tunes. Under the crafty direction of Yun Seok Ho, the series presented a mastery of cinematic techniques tugging at one's heartstrings, like the sound and visual effects of a big screen effectively capturing one's imagination. Moreover, it addressed the perennial theme of love in all its complexity in our ever-changing society.

Unlike most tragedies with a sad ending, Winter Sonata reached a bittersweet conclusion even though everyone who had intimate connection with the two main characters paid the heavy price of emotional and mental agony. The story opened with Joon Sang portrayed by Bae Yong Jun in his finest performance and Yu Jin, played by the talented Choi Ji Woo, as two high school students who fell in love for the first time. Unfortunately, their ill-fated love suffered a cruel blow as our hero soon died in a car accident, leaving our heroine heart-broken and dispirited. Ten years later, Yu Jin found herself working on a ski resort project with Min Yeong who looked exactly like Joon Sang. Oddly enough, he was courting Yu Jin's high school rival, Chae Lin, deftly played by Park Sol Mi. Consequently, Yu Jin's uncontrollable attraction to Min Yeong jeopardized her engagement to her childhood admirer, Sang Hyuk, played by Park Yong Ha, who in conspiracy with Chae Lin, tried everything to separate the two destined lovers. When the truth came out that Min Yeong and Joon Sang were the same person and worse still, the suspicion that Joon Sang and Yu Jin were half-brother and sister, everyone involved was thrown into utter confusion, resulting in grief and detrimental pain.

http://koreanfilm.org/tvdramas/wintersonata.html
Last edited by Bam-Bam on Jun 11th, '07, 20:35, edited 1 time in total.

silencefan123

Post by silencefan123 » Jun 11th, '07, 20:31

Tree of heaven

littledraci

Post by littledraci » Jun 11th, '07, 21:18

I watched Autumn Tale and Tree of heaven because of the pics and discussions here at the forum.. but after watching it I was -more or less- disappointed..
The ending of Autumn tale... boring...and Tree of heaven.. good start but then it was just draggy...
My favorite in this category is MISA at the end, but right after that comes A Love to Kill, Save the last Dance and Let's go to school, Sang-Doo..these were tear yerking... my luck, I watched them in my holidays ^-^

krnonthak0b

Post by krnonthak0b » Jun 17th, '07, 06:42

honestly i felt that autumn tale tried a little too hard. i was disappointed when he died in the end... it would've been a bit more depressing if he went through life without her lol i sound evil hahaha but yea him dying was kinda retarded. i found winter sonata much more sad because the ending was bittersweet.. all the stress they went through was almost for nothing but yea only really good one in the endless love series (spring waltz was ok imo)

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Jun 17th, '07, 16:35

I personal feel a lot of people are a bit too critical of Autumn Tale. You have to realize this series aired no less than seven years ago and is still discussed today - It has stood the test of time. It was also the first Korean drama that was introduced to the non-korean market and pretty much instigated the 'Korean Wave'.

Autumn Tale was my first 'terminal illness' based drama and I thought the story was heart-wrenching and very sentimental. It also assembled the finest looking cast. In terms of looks, I don't think this cast will ever be beaten: Song Hye Kyo, Song Seung Hun, Won Bin, Han Chae Young. They all became super stars after this series and let's not forget Moon Geun Young as well. Of course, looks is only one aspect, but all of the aforementioned names have shown - and proven - that they can act very well.

Up until now I still feel Autumn Tale is the saddest k-drama for me.

littledraci

Post by littledraci » Jun 17th, '07, 18:17

kobe23 wrote:I personal feel a lot of people are a bit too critical of Autumn Tale. You have to realize this series aired no less than seven years ago and is still discussed today - It has stood the test of time. It was also the first Korean drama that was introduced to the non-korean market and pretty much instigated the 'Korean Wave'.

Autumn Tale was my first 'terminal illness' based drama and I thought the story was heart-wrenching and very sentimental. It also assembled the finest looking cast. In terms of looks, I don't think this cast will ever be beaten: Song Hye Kyo, Song Seung Hun, Won Bin, Han Chae Young. They all became super stars after this series and let's not forget Moon Geun Young as well. Of course, looks is only one aspect, but all of the aforementioned names have shown - and proven - that they can act very well.
That might be true, but like you said it was the first k-drama for the whole market.. therefor it has to get his regards, of course. :salut: And at this time... well, there were no other drama to compare with, so it has to be the saddest then...

To your statement with the actors...you said yourself that they can act very well, so... for me, I think, they would became stars with any other good drama... so Autumn Tale was the first and get the credits for their success..

But I think, during the time til now there are other dramas which should get the title saddest drama, at least at the point of how the story goes on.
Well, and - I've mentioned it before- Autumn Tale for me was a little to draggy.. like krnonthak0b said:
honestly i felt that autumn tale tried a little too hard
Oh, and it was my first 'terminal illness' based drama,too .. well my first k-drama at all.

bean

Post by bean » Jun 18th, '07, 09:16

Well, thats only one drama that manage to make me cry almost all the episode not all but almost is SORRY I LOVE YOU aka MIsa......

Others is Thank You and winter sonata...

fizzlex3mh

Post by fizzlex3mh » Jun 18th, '07, 15:35

I'm Sorry I Love You
It was my first melodrama and left me depressed for 2 weeks after watching. Sometimes just thinking about it brings tears to my eyes. The scene in episode 16 at the metrostation kills me. I have watched that scene so many times and it never fails to make me cry.
I agree that Autumn Tale is a sad series too. I think it made me cry more than MiSa did, actually. But for some reason, MiSa was more heartbreaking. I guess maybe because Autumn Tale had 1) a verrrry slow pace that sometimes made it boring and 2) incest, which made it harder for me to sympathize with the characters. And now that I think back, I can't imagine why Autumn Tale made me cry so much :scratch:

Shunbaby

Post by Shunbaby » Jun 18th, '07, 16:05

Autumn Tale :cry: :cry: :cry:
Sad Love Story :cry: :cry:
Stairways to Heaven :cry:

nophankh

Post by nophankh » Jun 18th, '07, 16:37

None, I hate sad dramas with someone dying at the end. I usually start laughing half-way or stop at the beginning if there are hints that one lead character is gonna die. Usually, sad dramas are cheesy and all so boring because they are trying to make it serious.

Speaking of Autumn tales, I hate that drama with a passion. It's not about her dying or her pathetic bad-luck life, but rather the story didn't make sense. How in the hell can you fall for you brother? I don't care if it's not blood related; you were raised as siblings. Those feelings don't go away.

1aco

Post by 1aco » Jun 18th, '07, 20:58

Snow Queen Was THE Drama for me.. That really made me cry and cry and cry more...

kimmy12

Post by kimmy12 » Jun 19th, '07, 11:07

SAD LOVE STORY
STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN
AUTUMN TALE.

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Jun 19th, '07, 14:04

nophankh wrote:Speaking of Autumn tales, I hate that drama with a passion. It's not about her dying or her pathetic bad-luck life, but rather the story didn't make sense. How in the hell can you fall for you brother? I don't care if it's not blood related; you were raised as siblings. Those feelings don't go away.
I agree with you in a way as I hate incestuous story lines more than anyone, but I have seen a documentary in the past where they claimed humans are genetically predisposed to seeking a mate who is not in the same blood line as our own. Whether that's true or not I don't know, but it does help us understand how the relationship between Jun-suh and Eun-suh came about, because biologically they "knew" they weren't blood related even though they were raised like they were.

huesofsunday

Post by huesofsunday » Jun 19th, '07, 16:54

MiSa I'm Sorry, I Love You is probably the saddest Korean Drama to me.
I cried buckets, and that's something I usually don't do.

beertax

Post by beertax » Jun 19th, '07, 18:45

Saddest drama I've ever watched is Spring Waltz. It was just so sad.

Wait, you mean sad as in... emotionally sad? Err than nvm.

ah-pi

Post by ah-pi » Jun 22nd, '07, 16:49

Jang Dong Gun's Medical Brothers. The ending is a bit similar to Tree in Heaven - truly tragic!

EpikLow

Post by EpikLow » Jun 26th, '07, 18:53

1. Love To Kill
2. I'm Sorry I Love You
3. Tree Of Heaven

littledraci

Post by littledraci » Jun 29th, '07, 12:34

EpikLow wrote:1. Love To Kill
:salut: :wub:

EpikLow

Post by EpikLow » Jun 29th, '07, 18:59

littledraci wrote:
EpikLow wrote:1. Love To Kill
:salut: :wub:
lolz hi again! :salut:

yea... love to kill was really sad :cry:

artistickc

Post by artistickc » Jun 29th, '07, 23:36

I have to say tree of heaven I had tears in my eyes through the whole show

JadedAngel

Post by JadedAngel » Jul 5th, '07, 13:22

The saddest to me? It takes a lot to make me cry, but these had me bawling my eyes out.

1) Autumn Tale
2) What Happened in Bali
3) Stairway to Heaven

JadedAngel

Post by JadedAngel » Jul 5th, '07, 13:26

nophankh wrote:Speaking of Autumn tales, I hate that drama with a passion. It's not about her dying or her pathetic bad-luck life, but rather the story didn't make sense. How in the hell can you fall for you brother? I don't care if it's not blood related; you were raised as siblings. Those feelings don't go away.
Yeah, but these things have been known to happen. Its actually not as uncommon as people think, and is similar to what all the psychology books lists as the "Oedipus Complex".

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Jul 6th, '07, 16:04

JadedAngel wrote:
Yeah, but these things have been known to happen. Its actually not as uncommon as people think, and is similar to what all the psychology books lists as the "Oedipus Complex".
I didn't know what that meant and had to google it. Now I regret it. Makes me feel a bit sick actually :x

AlfieNJ

Post by AlfieNJ » Jul 7th, '07, 14:39

I agree that all of the KD's mentioned were sad. But I think that the saddest KD that I have seen so far is DID WE REALLY LOVE. It's one of the older Bae Yoon Jun's KD and has more episodes than the KD's listed.

blue.berrii

Post by blue.berrii » Aug 1st, '07, 00:17

Autumn tale is the only drama that's made me cry, but then again i was nine when i watched it...

pinklover27

Post by pinklover27 » Aug 2nd, '07, 22:10

MiSA is definitely on top of my list...even though from the start i knew that it will be a really sad ending i still cried buckets...

Tree of heaven was sad but in a way touching...

Autumn in my Heart was sad as well but i juz can't take the idea of incest eventhough they were really not related

Satirway in heaven was really sad too, but it somehow dragged me to the ennd..

physics223

Post by physics223 » Aug 3rd, '07, 14:07

Err...

I haven't watched much, but was Resurrection sad. Not sad because of the relationships, it was just ... really sad.

2RR

Post by 2RR » Aug 3rd, '07, 14:14

"I'm Sorry I love You" is the saddest Korean Drama for me. :-(

haywon

Post by haywon » Aug 5th, '07, 19:51

stairway to heaven and autumn in my heart :-(

goongluver16

Post by goongluver16 » Aug 7th, '07, 22:53

haywon wrote:stairway to heaven and autumn in my heart :-(
I agree with you Stairway to hevean all the way!

floakatrixie

Post by floakatrixie » Aug 8th, '07, 00:32

I think the top three are:-

1) Love Letter
2) Crazy for You
3) Tree of Heaven

I haven't seen Stairway to Heaven so I cannot comment on that one. I am surprised no one think Love Letter was sad ! :-(

Blindsight

Post by Blindsight » Aug 8th, '07, 09:07

i think the saddest is I'm sorry i love you.. but it's true... even Love Letter is soooo sad ç_ç

Amber111

Post by Amber111 » Aug 15th, '07, 04:36

1.) Tree of Heaven is the saddest drama for me, I cried so much :cry:
2.) Snow Queen was also so sad, I absolutely loved it :-(
Those were the only two korean dramas that I ever cried in

melphoen

Post by melphoen » Aug 15th, '07, 04:50

Love to Kill was pretty moving. And I've heard that I'm sorry, I love you is too.

[sweet.surrender]

Post by [sweet.surrender] » Aug 15th, '07, 05:04

the saddest k-dramas for me would have to be

Autumn in my Heart && Snow Queen

casey101a

Post by casey101a » Aug 15th, '07, 05:07

1. i'm sorry i love you :cry:
2. heaven's tree :-(
3. snow queen :-(

amazinfarah

Post by amazinfarah » Aug 15th, '07, 05:17

i would say autumn tale and im sorry, i love you

emrams

Post by emrams » Aug 15th, '07, 05:23

Tress of Heaven all the way. It was such a good story and the actors were awesome.

jooliepoolie

Post by jooliepoolie » Aug 24th, '07, 17:31

autumn fairytale&i'm sorry i love you
i cried like every other episode while watching these dramas.....sooooo sad

JlovesVan

Post by JlovesVan » Sep 11th, '07, 17:31

Sangdoo made me cry my eyes out. I usually don't cry if it is over the top dramatic because I get tired and numb. Sangdoo, because it was mixed with comedy just broke my heart. I'm sorry I love you was a bit over the top with the dramatic but it was another one that I cried a bunch in. So Ji Sup has a way of tearing at the heart strings though *sigh* just thinking about those two dramas make me teary eyed...

lovelots

Post by lovelots » Dec 31st, '07, 14:51

stairway to heaven :D

hitomisan
Morocco

Post by hitomisan » Jan 1st, '08, 15:54

Sorry I Love you. it makes you cry until the last scene and even a week after :cry: