[Discussion] Hotaru no Hikari (All Seasons)

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
lzydata

Post by lzydata » Aug 2nd, '07, 14:58

Just finished episode 4. "Royal box seat premium pair tickets" :crazy:

I feared the worst, but Hotaru no hikari is still going strong. Indeed, there's plenty of excellent Hotaru-Buchou action in ep4, and I'm personally glad to see Buchou's flowerly way with words make a reappearance (at the very beginning).
So much of the funny dialogue and interaction between these two unlikely roommates rests on the crucial fact that Hotaru seems unable to think of her Buchou as anybody but the Buchou, her boss at work, even though she now sees him day in day out. Not a man, certainly not one who writes love letters to people. Recall in ep3 she had to read out the name on the postcard, "Takano Seiichi. Yeah, that's Buchou's name." I can see these two become great friends, but lovers? - hmm...

Of course, you could have reasoned the same thing after a few episodes of Long Vacation, and be totally wrong :P
I thought the actor playing Makoto just didn't have "presence", but even he is now starting to show some life. Kuninaka Ryoko is also well cast as the suteki-joshi - "lovely lady"? - and Hotaru's rival. As a Yada Akiko fan, it's my duty to point out that were she available, she would have done well too - this is her "native territory".

The more time passes, the more comfortable Ayase seems in the role of the himono-onna. She conveys Hotaru's alternate happiness, depression, pain and bewilderment towards the relationship with Makoto in a way that's sometimes sad, almost always funny, and totally believable. The last ten minutes were especially well done, practically perfect. I rate ep4 the best of the four. (And ep3 the worst - the gags felt a little forced.)

XrayMind
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by XrayMind » Aug 2nd, '07, 18:53

From her Buchou's point of view, he just coming off a separation/divorce. He might he either don't want to get into a new love relationship or get back with his ex.

PopGilligan

Post by PopGilligan » Aug 2nd, '07, 18:54

I'm glad Makoto is starting to have a personality. Haven't watched ep four yet, but he's just had no substance. I didn't hate him, and I didn't think he was worthy of all the office ladies fawning, either.

That being said, I really don't know how they're going to end this one. In my mind it's 50-50 with the two guys (course I'm all on Buchou's side!).

TG3

Post by TG3 » Aug 2nd, '07, 21:51

We still don't know how buchou's meeting with his (soon to be ex) went. My money is on "it went bad" and he and Hotaru will commiserate and become better friends.
I believe that buchou will support Hotaru in her quest to win Makoto up to the end, when he'll start to have 2nd thoughts and want Hotaru for himself.

wachi

Post by wachi » Aug 3rd, '07, 02:19

Why can't he just support her all the way to the end? :-( I'm not a shipper of either couples; I just want buchou and Hotaru to be friends. They seem to be better off as friends than lovers.

It's too early to tell anyway.

Yorokobi

Post by Yorokobi » Aug 4th, '07, 02:56

does anybody know where i can find the most recent episode being streamed??

watersmeet256

Post by watersmeet256 » Aug 5th, '07, 12:22

Yorokobi wrote:does anybody know where i can find the most recent episode being streamed??
You can try watching it on VEOH~
Here's the link to part 1 of episode 4.
http://www.veoh.com/videos/v9002073eqG35qq

I personally thought episode 4 was going too fast for me. It was one minute Makoto liking Hotaru and the next minute he's acting like nothing happened. D: But, Kazuki's awesome as always~Grins* Am biased.
I do quite like the Hotaru/Boss interactions though. Really cute. :cheers:

kezianthei

Post by kezianthei » Aug 8th, '07, 05:21

anyone has like, summary or something of episodes 3 & 4??

just saw epi 4.. love it.. just wondering what makoto said to hotaru when she ddnt show up in their date.. he's like cold to her afterwards(in the preview)..

anyone care to explain the episode?thanks!

kezianthei

Post by kezianthei » Aug 8th, '07, 08:07

epi 3 hardsubbed already available..

Yorokobi

Post by Yorokobi » Aug 8th, '07, 09:16

kezianthei wrote:anyone has like, summary or something of episodes 3 & 4??

just saw epi 4.. love it.. just wondering what makoto said to hotaru when she ddnt show up in their date.. he's like cold to her afterwards(in the preview)..

makoto says something along the lines of (my japanese isnt that good so dont quote me on this
Amemiya start to apologise but he says
no dont worry about it
(this line im not sure but maybe) im sure you had something to do
im sorry about that kiss that day
i liked you
goodbye

cherryaddict

Post by cherryaddict » Aug 8th, '07, 12:45

BEST DRAMA I'VE SEEN FOR AYASE....
I just fin her sooo freakn' cut in this drama, and OMG Naohito look soo sily and funny in this drama, just LOVE his roll here.....

and one more thing I love i this Drama....
ITADAKIMAMBOOO~
SOOO FREAKN' CUTE XD XD XD XD XD

Tass

Post by Tass » Aug 8th, '07, 16:56

I have to disagree here...

I just went through the agony of watching Episode 3 and these long wannabe-comedy dialogues are getting on my nerves.
Since Episode 1 nothing improves and the whole dorama is wrapped around Ayase Haruka being silly and posing her butt into the camera.

In byakuyakou she was awesome insidious and I still have this image of her in my mind.
Probably thats why I can't cope with her in a comedy.

Maybe my attention would rise if she starts backstabbing one or two people... poison is also ok *G*
This is pretty hard for me but when I have one particular image in my mind regarding one actor I still expect a similar behavior.... :cry:

Anyone feel the same way?

Puppet Princess

Post by Puppet Princess » Aug 8th, '07, 17:36

Typecasting does tend to ruin some things.

PopGilligan

Post by PopGilligan » Aug 8th, '07, 17:50

I know what you mean Tass, but I've never associated Ayase with one particular type of character. I haven't seen Byakuyakou yet, but in all the other roles I've seen her, I've just been impressed with how I don't relate her other characters to the one I'm currently watching (unlike, say, Mao Inoue who will always be Makino to me, no matter how good an actress she becomes).

I'm still enjoying this drama, but the thing that I can't get out of my head is how much certain things are like Nodame Cantabile. Lots of Hotaru's expressions and reactions (Itadakimambo?) are so much like Nodame, and the comedic parts have very much an "anime" feel to me just because they're so out-there. It's not a bad thing by any means, just that I don't see any similarities between the two comics (excluding the messiness of the protagonist), but it's a different story with the dramas.

Magicus

Post by Magicus » Aug 8th, '07, 18:19

Yeah the whole story does have a Nodame Cantabile feel to it, I think it's because the scriptwriter is taking the best parts of the manga (the comedy) and adding his / her own additions (making the story and characters more realistic). The problem with most manga adaptations is that it's just a straight port which doesn't really allow the viewer to care about the characters because we can't really relate to anything they are doing (I don't remember ever gang raping a girl when I was in high school *cough*). Nodame did the same thing that Hotaru no Hikari is doing, using ridiculous manga style comedy throughout while still being very realistic in the drama parts of the show.

Puppet Princess

Post by Puppet Princess » Aug 8th, '07, 18:56

Magicus wrote: (I don't remember ever gang raping a girl when I was in high school *cough*).
:blink What kind of manga to you read?!?!

Noi

Post by Noi » Aug 9th, '07, 01:52

Okay, so has anyone finished downloading episode 5?

....so they can explain to me what's going on here?

This is the last scene... the websites put some sort of image or whatever:

Yorokobi

Post by Yorokobi » Aug 9th, '07, 02:34

was episode 5 last nights cause i really have to idea what number we are up to
but i surprisingly really enjoyed last nights more than most i think

@Noi
did you want the picture translated or what??

Noi

Post by Noi » Aug 9th, '07, 03:21

...yeah, a translation would be nice :lol

caitlincoffee
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by caitlincoffee » Aug 9th, '07, 04:30

Noi wrote:Okay, so has anyone finished downloading episode 5?

GOD!!! I shouldn't have clicked that. My download still has a few hours to go. Hope i'm not the only one, but that picture looks like a 'lovers(:pray:) farewell (:pale:)' kinda thing is going on.

Yorokobi

Post by Yorokobi » Aug 9th, '07, 04:31

Noi wrote:...yeah, a translation would be nice :lol
ill do what i can cant promise anything though cause my japanese aint top notch

Noi

Post by Noi » Aug 9th, '07, 05:23

caitlincoffee wrote:

GOD!!! I shouldn't have clicked that. My download still has a few hours to go. Hope i'm not the only one, but that picture looks like a 'lovers(:pray:) farewell (:pale:)' kinda thing is going on.
OMG, doesn't it?
I'm sure it isn't though. It's probably Hotaru moaning about Makoto and Takano doing what he can to encourage her with his SUPER-KNOWLEDGE, or something :mrgreen:

@Yorokobi: Thanks a lot for trying... :lol

caitlincoffee
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by caitlincoffee » Aug 9th, '07, 05:31

Noi wrote:
caitlincoffee wrote:

OMG, doesn't it?
I'm sure it isn't though. It's probably Hotaru moaning about Makoto and Takano doing what he can to encourage her with his SUPER-KNOWLEDGE, or something :mrgreen:

@Yorokobi: Thanks a lot for trying... :lol
My download should be done in 10 more minutes so hopefully i'll be able to watch and see if I can understand the situation at all. :w000t:
Maybe Bucho's moving out like in the manga and Hotaru's sad. Then she'll realize how much she misses him yelling at her and all the cute things they do together. Then they get together and it's happily ever after. :P

Yorokobi

Post by Yorokobi » Aug 9th, '07, 05:36

I havent finished translating yet (almost) but i have watched the episode so heres what i gather from that bit
hotaru is locked in the coference room with makoto again and she gets a phone call from buchou where he tells her this is her chance to tell makoto her feelings and give her words of support so she can muster up the courage to do it

Yorokobi

Post by Yorokobi » Aug 9th, '07, 06:32

Noi wrote:
ok I did what i could to transate, some bits i wasnt quite sure about so it wont be completely right
Hotaru is shut in the conference room with only Makoto and for the third time!
「From a romantic love not going well, to a friendship that is going well」
And as Hotaru disguises her thoughts towards Makoto, Buchou calls...

「I don't know how you've driven love away but
It must be a long time scince you fell in love right?」

Buchou spoke kindly to Hotaru

「If you come to like a person after a long time you must please do what you are thinking」

「I am thinking of the words but I can't convey them」
(These lines im sure is wrong but i struggled with it sorry)

When I seperated from my wife, I never told her the words I was thinking.
Buchou's words to Hotaru came all at once.

Everyone won't you also try and think of what you want to say? Surely the God of Love will lend his power to you.
Well thats what I got
Sorry its a bit weird as this is one of my first proper translations

kezianthei

Post by kezianthei » Aug 9th, '07, 07:49

Yorokobi wrote:
kezianthei wrote:anyone has like, summary or something of episodes 3 & 4??

makoto says something along the lines of (my japanese isnt that good so dont quote me on this
Amemiya start to apologise but he says
no dont worry about it
(this line im not sure but maybe) im sure you had something to do
im sorry about that kiss that day
i liked you
goodbye
cant help but quote you.. :D
thanks for that.. it made my day.. :lol

lzydata

Post by lzydata » Aug 9th, '07, 10:48

Yorokobi wrote:
Noi wrote:
ok I did what i could to transate, some bits i wasnt quite sure about so it wont be completely right

「If you come to like a person after a long time you must please do what you are thinking」

Everyone won't you also try and think of what you want to say? Surely the God of Love will lend his power to you.
Well thats what I got
This is actually the fifth "Message to Himono-onna" - not so much the synopsis of the episode but some "wise words" from ep5. I decided to wait until I had watched it before commenting on this, and it was helpful, because before this I didn't understand parts like "the third time".

Yorokobi, nice work! Although I have to correct your translations of the important two lines in the middle (in the graphic they're in blue). Actually, what he says before these words of encouragement to Hotaru, beginning at around 36:30, is actually pretty sad. I have a rough translation of the whole thing below. It's fabulous screenwriting.
So you say you want a friendship that works rather than a romance that doesn't. But this may be your last chance!

Alright, as a boss speaking to his subordinate, it's aesthetically improper for me to be chattering about these private things to you. But although I haven't said this up to now, I actually do regret that I have to be separated from my wife.

No, to be more accurate, while I think a man's attitude to this should be to quietly accept his wife's request, I do regret doing this. I actually want to tell her: "No, I don't want this."

Because I don't want us to separate.
Because I want to be with you.
Because I love you.
Because I don't want to lose you.

I wanted to say all this, but I couldn't. If I poured out my feelings and they weren't accepted, I would be deeply scarred by the ugly memory.

But you are young! Isn't it better for you to have ugly memories, than to have nothing at all?

I don't care how long it's been for you, but you have fallen in love after a long while, haven't you? You like him, don't you?

Treasure those feelings of yours. Treasure yourself, for being able to fall in love with someone after such a long time.

[A touched Hotaru goes: Buchou...]

To convey your feelings, you must express them in words.
Of course there are other valid ways of translating 「思いは、言葉にしなければ、伝わらないんだ」. For one, I've translated omoi as feelings rather than thoughts because it feels more appropriate. The most literally correct but not so elegant translation might be: Feelings are such that if you do not express them in words they cannot be conveyed. The simplest, most casual translation might be: "You gotta tell him how you feel!" :P
Ep5 is another very satisfying episode. Both Hotaru and Buchou face down their respective demons and feel better for it - okay, less in Buchou's case. Yuuka is remarkably gracious about her "victory" in Round One - of the Royal Box Seat Premium Pair Tickets - as you would expect a suteki-joshi to do. As usual, all the scenes in the house are the funniest. And towards the end, after Buchou's tease, he points out a discomforting fact:
That if or when Hotaru stops being a himono-onna, suceeding in her love life and achieving suteki-joshi-ness, as she swears she will do, she will have to move out, either to live on her own or with Makoto. This logic is so like Long Vacation's it's getting creepy.
Last edited by lzydata on Aug 9th, '07, 15:16, edited 1 time in total.

chickenruns

Post by chickenruns » Aug 9th, '07, 15:11

i guess that i already knew the ending.. but what a surprise that Ayase Haruka could be that good, quite a big step forward comparing to sekai no chuusin de.. (the drama i dislike). every scene she's in brings me loads of laughs

Noi

Post by Noi » Aug 9th, '07, 17:13

Izydata and Yorokobi, thanks for the translations! I wish my japanese was better...

I can't wait to watch the episode!
Last edited by Noi on Aug 10th, '07, 01:42, edited 1 time in total.

kezianthei

Post by kezianthei » Aug 10th, '07, 01:42

lzydata wrote:
Yorokobi wrote:
Noi wrote:

Well thats what I got
This is actually the fifth "Message to Himono-onna" - not so much the synopsis of the episode but some "wise words" from ep5. I decided to wait until I had watched it before commenting on this, and it was helpful, because before this I didn't understand parts like "the third time".

Yorokobi, nice work! Although I have to correct your translations of the important two lines in the middle (in the graphic they're in blue). Actually, what he says before these words of encouragement to Hotaru, beginning at around 36:30, is actually pretty sad. I have a rough translation of the whole thing below. It's fabulous screenwriting.
So you say you want a friendship that works rather than a romance that doesn't. But this may be your last chance!

Alright, as a boss speaking to his subordinate, it's aesthetically improper for me to be chattering about these private things to you. But although I haven't said this up to now, I actually do regret that I have to be separated from my wife.

No, to be more accurate, while I think a man's attitude to this should be to quietly accept his wife's request, I do regret doing this. I actually want to tell her: "No, I don't want this."

Because I don't want us to separate.
Because I want to be with you.
Because I love you.
Because I don't want to lose you.

I wanted to say all this, but I couldn't. If I poured out my feelings and they weren't accepted, I would be deeply scarred by the ugly memory.

But you are young! Isn't it better for you to have ugly memories, than to have nothing at all?

I don't care how long it's been for you, but you have fallen in love after a long while, haven't you? You like him, don't you?

Treasure those feelings of yours. Treasure yourself, for being able to fall in love with someone after such a long time.

[A touched Hotaru goes: Buchou...]

To convey your feelings, you must express them in words.
Of course there are other valid ways of translating 「思いは、言葉にしなければ、伝わらないんだ」. For one, I've translated omoi as feelings rather than thoughts because it feels more appropriate. The most literally correct but not so elegant translation might be: Feelings are such that if you do not express them in words they cannot be conveyed. The simplest, most casual translation might be: "You gotta tell him how you feel!" :P
Ep5 is another very satisfying episode. Both Hotaru and Buchou face down their respective demons and feel better for it - okay, less in Buchou's case. Yuuka is remarkably gracious about her "victory" in Round One - of the Royal Box Seat Premium Pair Tickets - as you would expect a suteki-joshi to do. As usual, all the scenes in the house are the funniest. And towards the end, after Buchou's tease, he points out a discomforting fact:
That if or when Hotaru stops being a himono-onna, suceeding in her love life and achieving suteki-joshi-ness, as she swears she will do, she will have to move out, either to live on her own or with Makoto. This logic is so like Long Vacation's it's getting creepy.
thanks so much! now i can at least understand some parts once i watch the episode! :lol :lol

eaachh

Post by eaachh » Aug 10th, '07, 15:28

TG3 wrote:We still don't know how buchou's meeting with his (soon to be ex) went. My money is on "it went bad" and he and Hotaru will commiserate and become better friends.
I believe that buchou will support Hotaru in her quest to win Makoto up to the end, when he'll start to have 2nd thoughts and want Hotaru for himself.
I don't think Hotaru will end up with the boss. They are likely to help each other improving and developing themselves to end up with the one they like.

MitsukaiKuroi

Post by MitsukaiKuroi » Aug 11th, '07, 02:27

Just saying that I am really enjoying this drama so far! I am watching it with subs so I am only on episode 3 at the time of this posting! I love the chemistry between Himono-Onna and Manager! They crack me up! Like a male-female odd couple! :lol (Like Oscar and Felix from the American TV show if anyone remembers that! )

And what is up with the Manager's best friend!?! He is SO gay for him that it cracks me up! :lol

I haven't read any of the spoilers but so far this drama has pulled me in! :D

Shinigami

Post by Shinigami » Aug 11th, '07, 02:58

eaachh wrote:
I don't think Hotaru will end up with the boss. They are likely to help each other improving and developing themselves to end up with the one they like.
Yupe me too.
I think they are like bro and sis ^_^
Really cute. I watch only the hardsubbed Dorama so I watched only the first three Episodes.
And until now I didn't see any love connection Hotaru-Manager

watersmeet256

Post by watersmeet256 » Aug 11th, '07, 03:24

I just finished watching episode 5 too and I must say there were some parts that I felt so fustrated with the Hotaru/Makoto pairing, I wanted to shout, " Go and confess already!" XDD. But I really liked how the boss ecouraged her to profess her love and to go for it. :D

I'm really swayed now. I was initially rooting for a Hotaru/Boss ending but on second thoughts I really like the relationship they have now like brother and sister and I really don't want it to go into the romantic kind. Or maybe it's just me.

And I think they laid off the powder on Kazuki/Makoto. In the first few episodes, he looked whiter than usual. Or maybe it's just me again. Oh well.

kezianthei

Post by kezianthei » Aug 11th, '07, 13:26

anyone care to give some summary about episode 5.. especially the scene in which hotaru was like
confessing to makoto or sth.. what did she say and what did makoto say in reply??
i also would wanna know what the preview is all about.. hehe

thanks so much!!

koyar

Post by koyar » Aug 11th, '07, 20:47

kezianthei wrote:anyone care to give some summary about episode 5.. especially the scene in which hotaru was like
confessing to makoto or sth.. what did she say and what did makoto say in reply??
Hotaru failed her date, so it got awkward facing Teshima. She tried to act normal with him, and eventually decided to become friends with Teshima. Buchou wanted her to face her own true feelings so he locked Hotaru and Teshima in a conference room. Somehow they kept getting locked in the same room over and over again by the god of love, who turned out to be Futatsugi by accident.
Hotaru said that Teshima's kiss was like the sleeping beauty getting an awakening kiss from the prince on a white horse, and then she confessed her love :3
Teshima's reply was "I will call you" and he called her at the end.

Can someone tell me what exactly did Futatsugi said to buchou in episode 5? I have problem understanding what he said ^_^;;;
He mentioned something when they were still young/students? I can't help but to think that may be Futatsugi is having an affair with buchou's wife... even if he's so gay...
watersmeet256 wrote:And I think they laid off the powder on Kazuki/Makoto. In the first few episodes, he looked whiter than usual. Or maybe it's just me again. Oh well.
I was kinda thinking about the same thing too. Like, OMG I can see Kato's moles in episode 5!

zooey
Philippines

Post by zooey » Aug 12th, '07, 01:49

watersmeet256 wrote: I'm really swayed now. I was initially rooting for a Hotaru/Boss ending but on second thoughts I really like the relationship they have now like brother and sister and I really don't want it to go into the romantic kind. Or maybe it's just me.

And I think they laid off the powder on Kazuki/Makoto. In the first few episodes, he looked whiter than usual. Or maybe it's just me again. Oh well.
I watch the hardsubs, so I've seen only till episode 3. Just wanted to say that I share your sentiments about Hotaru and the boss... they're more like brother and sister. It'll be weird if they suddenly got romantic (I don't think they have that kind of chemistry). But then again, we can never tell. Anything can happen in 6 episodes. :unsure:

wachi

Post by wachi » Aug 12th, '07, 03:07

^ Yeah, but they built up so much on Hotaru/Makoto these past 5 episodes, are they just going to call it quits and move on to Hotaru/Buchou? I hardly think that's likely and acceptable. All I ask is for no open ending!

PopGilligan

Post by PopGilligan » Aug 12th, '07, 05:22

wachi wrote:^ Yeah, but they built up so much on Hotaru/Makoto these past 5 episodes, are they just going to call it quits and move on to Hotaru/Buchou? I hardly think that's likely and acceptable. All I ask is for no open ending!
See, I think that's why Hotaru/Makoto isn't going to happen by the end of the series. I kind of see him as the guy who awakens Hotaru back to love, but isn't THE one. I don't really think she'll end up with Buchou (even though I would like it), but an open ending wouldn't surprise me. At all. And I would be completely okay with that.

Yorokobi

Post by Yorokobi » Aug 12th, '07, 05:25

PopGilligan wrote:
wachi wrote:^ Yeah, but they built up so much on Hotaru/Makoto these past 5 episodes, are they just going to call it quits and move on to Hotaru/Buchou? I hardly think that's likely and acceptable. All I ask is for no open ending!
See, I think that's why Hotaru/Makoto isn't going to happen by the end of the series. I kind of see him as the guy who awakens Hotaru back to love, but isn't THE one. I don't really think she'll end up with Buchou (even though I would like it), but an open ending wouldn't surprise me. At all. And I would be completely okay with that.
Hmm i can see where both of you are coming from and i think thats whats gonna make this drama so interesting is that we just cant be sure what is going to happen. It is deffinatly not predictable

kezianthei

Post by kezianthei » Aug 12th, '07, 15:22

koyar wrote:
kezianthei wrote:anyone care to give some summary about episode 5.. especially the scene in which hotaru was like
Hotaru failed her date, so it got awkward facing Teshima. She tried to act normal with him, and eventually decided to become friends with Teshima. Buchou wanted her to face her own true feelings so he locked Hotaru and Teshima in a conference room. Somehow they kept getting locked in the same room over and over again by the god of love, who turned out to be Futatsugi by accident.
Hotaru said that Teshima's kiss was like the sleeping beauty getting an awakening kiss from the prince on a white horse, and then she confessed her love :3
Teshima's reply was "I will call you" and he called her at the end.

!
thanks so much for the explanation.. i cant wait till episode 6 airs!! :D im just so in love with this drama.. :wub:

harukaya

Post by harukaya » Aug 12th, '07, 16:06

Can someone tell me what exactly did Futatsugi said to buchou in episode 5? I have problem understanding what he said ^_^;;;
He mentioned something when they were still young/students? I can't help but to think that may be Futatsugi is having an affair with buchou's wife... even if he's so gay...
i thought Futatsugi told buchou that his wife was living with one of their senior from college/university...so you see, Futatsugi can still be gay.. :P

PopGilligan

Post by PopGilligan » Aug 12th, '07, 16:44

Yorokobi wrote:Hmm i can see where both of you are coming from and i think thats whats gonna make this drama so interesting is that we just cant be sure what is going to happen. It is deffinatly not predictable
Definetely. The more that I'm on the edge of my seat, the better! : D

auroragb

Post by auroragb » Aug 13th, '07, 02:06

koyar wrote:Can someone tell me what exactly did Futatsugi said to buchou in episode 5? I have problem understanding what he said ^_^;;;
All I remember is that it was something about a woman wouldn't leave her house without having a plan and that she was living with one of their kouhai from college

lzydata

Post by lzydata » Aug 13th, '07, 10:32

auroragb wrote:
koyar wrote:Can someone tell me what exactly did Futatsugi said to buchou in episode 5? I have problem understanding what he said ^_^;;;
All I remember is that it was something about a woman wouldn't leave her house without having a plan and that she was living with one of their kouhai from college
Yes, although I couldn't help thinking Futatsugi should have told Takano earlier rather than have him go on hoping like that, even if he knew about the wife's affair only after she left the house. And it must have been doubly shocking and painful for Takano - not only did she have a lover, but he's their junior too. Well, just my two cents on the issue.

kezianthei

Post by kezianthei » Aug 15th, '07, 00:40

yay! episode 6 today?!

Yorokobi

Post by Yorokobi » Aug 15th, '07, 01:09

yup!!! I wonder what gonna happen???

Yorokobi

Post by Yorokobi » Aug 15th, '07, 13:30

haha half way through this episode and its a good one! really really funny!
right now hikaru has both dead drunk buchou and tejima in her house!
What's she gonna do??

Yorokobi

Post by Yorokobi » Aug 15th, '07, 13:52

sorry for the many posts
this episode we get another kiss
AND someone finally finds out they are living together!!!

caitlincoffee
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by caitlincoffee » Aug 15th, '07, 14:05

Yorokobi wrote:haha half way through this episode and its a good one! really really funny!
What's she gonna do??
Gasp!! :faint:
Yorokobi wrote:sorry for the many posts
Double gasp!!!! :w000t:
I know this is a stupid questioin, but I just want to make sure because i'm about to have a heart attack.
Was the kiss was between Hotaru and Matoko?

auroragb

Post by auroragb » Aug 15th, '07, 18:46

Yorokobi wrote:haha half way through this episode and its a good one! really really funny!
What's she gonna do??
1. Strip them and put them in bed together.
2. Take pictures
3. Extort them for $$$$
4. Profit
:P

kotatsulove

Post by kotatsulove » Aug 15th, '07, 19:45

haha, i'm glad that's hidden.

wow, awesome spoilers! i can't wait to see this episode...watching raws aren't half as painful as i thought it would be. i'm loving this drama, so its worth it.
oh, we appreciate it. i love reading spoilers :P

kezianthei

Post by kezianthei » Aug 16th, '07, 01:33

What's she gonna do??
thanks so much! i love reading spoilers too esp with this drama!! :w00t:
can i ask who gets to kiss who??
any lil summary anyone?? :cry:

Yorokobi

Post by Yorokobi » Aug 16th, '07, 02:25

ok even though i cant actually remember that much ill do what i can in term of a summary
Makoto and Hotaru agree to go on a date during the holidays
People at work are happy cause from the next day is the obon holiday so they get 3 days off, somebody mentions having a BBQ and when asking Makoto if hes interested he's like "I have plans with Hotaru" which makes everyone curious and staring at the two of them (what a silly boy!)
Hotaru is waiting at an arranged place for Makoto and Kaname comes and makes it a double date with Yuuka as well. They all go to the amusement park but Yuuka is really embarrassed that Kaname did that.
That night Hotaru recieves message from Makoto asking if she wants to go for a drive while shes deciding how best to answer this to pull of being an amazing girl she recieves another message saying you live alone right? and she panics and is trying to get buchou to tell her what to do and then she gets another message say I guess your asleep already, goodnight.
The next day she goes for a drive with Makoto but falls asleep!
Makoto is worried cause she never lets him take her to her house and gets him to drop her off away from it.
Buchou and Makoto go drinking (i missed a lot of important talk here) and Makoto tells him about his worries with Hotaru.
Hotaru recieves a call from buchou (cant actually remember what he said sorry) she comes to the front door and buchou is standing there and Makoto is dead druk in the taxi.
Buchou and Hotaru are discussing what to do, Hotaru goes away for a second and comes back to find buchou stacking stones by the pond. When she asks him what he's doing he kinda turns around and snuggles into her lap saying "miyuki miyuki" (his wifes name) Hotaru manages to push him off and just the the taxi driver brings makoto in so she has two dead drunks to deal with.
She puts Makoto in a spare room? and buchou in her room. She eventually wakes buchou up and together they run around the house hiding buchous things to make it look like only hotaru lives there. Hotaru goes to sleep holding Makotos hand.
The next day after a cute goodbye where Hotaru said lets go for a drive again and lets go to the amusement park again Makoto runs back grabs her hand and says lets go now, so they go to the amusement park. Afterwards he asks if he can call her Hotaru-san and she asks if she can call him Makoto-san. And then they do this (sicking) thing where she goes Makoto-san and he goes Hotaru-san over and over and then he stops and kisses her.
Shouji was taking a watermelon to buchou but no one was home.
Hotaru catches up with buchou on his way home from shopping and together the go into the house which Shouji hiding sees.
Ok thats it from me, hope it satisfies you. Sorry i missed out a lot reguarding buchou and his wife and what he told Hotaru cause i didnt understand
I think he was signing divorce papers though???

reverie_ppoh

Post by reverie_ppoh » Aug 16th, '07, 03:01

Yorokobi, thank you for your spoiler ^_^ at last...they have a date!
I'm more to Hotaru Makoto rather than Hotaru Takano.
The first pair, both cute and silly in their own way. Great pair.
Prefer Takano take the lead as a big brother only. *my wish. Is it still in book 9?

kezianthei

Post by kezianthei » Aug 16th, '07, 03:30

Yorokobi wrote:ok even though i cant actually remember that much ill do what i can in term of a summary
Makoto and Hotaru agree to go on a date during the holidays
People at work are happy cause from the next day is the obon holiday so they get 3 days off, somebody mentions having a BBQ and when asking Makoto if hes interested he's like "I have plans with Hotaru" which makes everyone curious and staring at the two of them (what a silly boy!)
Hotaru is waiting at an arranged place for Makoto and Kaname comes and makes it a double date with Yuuka as well. They all go to the amusement park but Yuuka is really embarrassed that Kaname did that.
That night Hotaru recieves message from Makoto asking if she wants to go for a drive while shes deciding how best to answer this to pull of being an amazing girl she recieves another message saying you live alone right? and she panics and is trying to get buchou to tell her what to do and then she gets another message say I guess your asleep already, goodnight.
The next day she goes for a drive with Makoto but falls asleep!
Makoto is worried cause she never lets him take her to her house and gets him to drop her off away from it.
Buchou and Makoto go drinking (i missed a lot of important talk here) and Makoto tells him about his worries with Hotaru.
Hotaru recieves a call from buchou (cant actually remember what he said sorry) she comes to the front door and buchou is standing there and Makoto is dead druk in the taxi.
Buchou and Hotaru are discussing what to do, Hotaru goes away for a second and comes back to find buchou stacking stones by the pond. When she asks him what he's doing he kinda turns around and snuggles into her lap saying "miyuki miyuki" (his wifes name) Hotaru manages to push him off and just the the taxi driver brings makoto in so she has two dead drunks to deal with.
She puts Makoto in a spare room? and buchou in her room. She eventually wakes buchou up and together they run around the house hiding buchous things to make it look like only hotaru lives there. Hotaru goes to sleep holding Makotos hand.
The next day after a cute goodbye where Hotaru said lets go for a drive again and lets go to the amusement park again Makoto runs back grabs her hand and says lets go now, so they go to the amusement park. Afterwards he asks if he can call her Hotaru-san and she asks if she can call him Makoto-san. And then they do this (sicking) thing where she goes Makoto-san and he goes Hotaru-san over and over and then he stops and kisses her.
Shouji was taking a watermelon to buchou but no one was home.
Hotaru catches up with buchou on his way home from shopping and together the go into the house which Shouji hiding sees.
Ok thats it from me, hope it satisfies you. Sorry i missed out a lot reguarding buchou and his wife and what he told Hotaru cause i didnt understand
I think he was signing divorce papers though???
omigosh Yorokobi, you are heaven-sent!!! :cheers:
thanks so much for that summary.. i really appreciate it.. :D you made my day again!!!
wow, now i cant wait till my DL finishes..

watersmeet256

Post by watersmeet256 » Aug 16th, '07, 08:43

I just watched finished episode 6 raw too~ Gawd. The interactions between this new couple is so cute~ :DD I am totally a Hotaru/Makoto convert now.

>This was one of the cutest parts of the episode, besides the neoprints taking part and the date at the amusement park.

>I feel sad for the buchou though. DD: Pats* Poor thing. Hope the issues with his wife gets better.

Yorokobi

Post by Yorokobi » Aug 16th, '07, 08:44

uh should that be in a spoiler for people who havent watched it yet ^_^

kezianthei

Post by kezianthei » Aug 16th, '07, 09:46

watersmeet256 wrote:I just watched finished episode 6 raw too~ Gawd. The interactions between this new couple is so cute~ :DD I am totally a Hotaru/Makoto convert now.

>This was one of the cutest parts of the episode, besides the neoprints taking part and the date at the amusement park.

>I feel sad for the buchou though. DD: Pats* Poor thing. Hope the issues with his wife gets better.
i almost jumped off my seat!!! :w00t: thanks for the cap..im glad a lot likes hotaru/makoto.. :wub:
my DL aint done yet.. :glare:

oh and Yorokobi, did i mention i was smiling(a very big one) the whole time i read your summary?! :lol

watersmeet256

Post by watersmeet256 » Aug 16th, '07, 14:18

uh should that be in a spoiler for people who havent watched it yet ^_^
Gomen ne, posted it in a state of hurry. I do hope it looks hidden for now. ^^;[/quote]

lzydata

Post by lzydata » Aug 16th, '07, 16:59

Thank you Yorokobi and others for the summaries and spoilers. Now that my download is complete I simply couldn't wait - I skipped to the interesting scenes :P

1. That conversation between Makoto and Buchou. The sense I got from this is: they make him out to be a real ikemen, but Makoto seems awfully green when it comes to love.
B: Amemiya's living with a man?!
M: Yes, when I called her it just felt like there was someone else there.
B: You're imagining things.
M: I also heard before that she has a boyfriend.
B: The hell she does.
M: Why are you so sure?
B: .. Because you're her boyfriend, isn't it? Spending the summer holiday together and all.
M: She didn't look like she enjoyed herself though.
B: Maybe she was just nervous.
M: And when I offered to send her home she said no. I hate this.
B: You hate her already?!
M: I hate myself for worrying about such things one by one.
The second bit was when Makoto recalled Buchou's advice:
He said that somehow along the way he's forgotten the times when he was going out with his wife, their first date and the first time he held her hand. "I was probably very nervous and my heart pounding, but I don't remember anymore. I don't wish I could go back to that time, or rather, even if I did I couldn't, so if I were you right now, I would hold her hand and never let go."
2. Not to say "I told you so," but I kind of predicted this part. More precisely I said this part should happen first before Hotaru-Buchou fans get their hopes up, and now it has, so...
H: Just now you mistook me for your wife and hugged me.
B: What?!
H: You hugged my slender body and called me Miyuki. [Actually Buchou said "Miyuki, you've grown fatter."]
B: No way...
H: Your wife must be like me, a gorgeous mature lady. [suteki-na otona no josei: this could be translated in many ways]
B: The power of alcohol is frightening indeed.
H: But...
B: What?
H: My heart was pounding a little.
B: What...
H: "So Buchou's a man too," I thought.
And a very... ambiguous look on his face at the end of this scene.

3. Sorry for doing this every week, but I simply have to heap praises on Hotaru no Hikari once again. They have so far steered clear of the problem with so many romance dramas and movies where the male and female leads are just preordained to fall in love and be together because they are the male and female leads, rather than after mutual attraction, common interests, a period of courtship etc. - the stuff of more realistic relationships. At this point both the Hotaru-Buchou and Hotaru-Makoto camps have good reasons for why they should be together, but it's not so clear what will eventually happen. (Okay, maybe after the final episode I will look at this post again and say, How could I not have seen what was coming? Well, whatever the outcome is, I didn't.)

We're about halfway through the drama now, and this is my take on the situation:

Hotaru-Makoto: Lust - physical attraction - surely. Plus, Buchou may have been the one who physically intruded into Hotaru's daily life, but it was only when Makoto showed up and emerged as a romantic interest that she changed her mind about her lifestyle, after God knows how long, and try to be a worthy girlfriend to him. A good relationship is one where you get all heart-poundingly excited and you aim to become something more than yourself when you're with him/her.

Hotaru-Buchou: They're the leads, so "structurally" they have the advantage. Plus, after this period of living together, Buchou is the only man in Hotaru's life who sees all the sides to her, from pretty to ugly and everything in between. Although he still grumbles, he has learnt to accept her for who she is. On her part, Hotaru does not freak out and screw up big-time when she's with Buchou, like she did with her dates. She can and does dress and behave any way she likes in front of him. A good relationship is one where you can feel relaxed and be true to yourself when you're with him/her.

Perhaps which camp you support depends on what you think a relationship should be about, apart from whether you like Kato Kazuki or Fujiki Naohito more.

Noi

Post by Noi » Aug 16th, '07, 22:29

Usually when I choose a pairing, I stick to it until the very end. I doubt I'll switch sides when it comes to Hotaru no Hikari... so, it's still Hotaru/Takano for me :mrgreen:

I still haven't watched the episode... I will tomorrow, though.

Thanks for the spoilers!

kiki

Post by kiki » Aug 17th, '07, 05:49

me too, i just love their scene together. i don't really care for makoto somehow, he seems so bland to me. she doesn't seem herself when she with him.

Khai77

Post by Khai77 » Aug 17th, '07, 09:03

I really love Hotaru and her boss... She totally being herself with him. I think girl like hotaru need a man like her boss cuz the way he treat her. He also give her confident when she down, know how to comfort her, and sometime he also become childlish like hotaru like divide area / thing, doing what she told playing around. They just look comfortable together, I think that was important think for love last longer.

Yorokobi

Post by Yorokobi » Aug 17th, '07, 10:33

Khai77 wrote:I really love Hotaru and her boss... She totally being herself with him. I think girl like hotaru need a man like her boss cuz the way he treat her. He also give her confident when she down, know how to comfort her, and sometime he also become childlish like hotaru like divide area / thing, doing what she told playing around. They just look comfortable together, I think that was important think for love last longer.
Im really for Hotaru and buchou too however what you've described here is kindof like a family member or a best friend because there is no physical attraction between the two.
Thats where Makoto comes in unfortunatly!

Noi

Post by Noi » Aug 17th, '07, 19:02

I really don't know why I've come to like Buchou so much in comparison to Makoto. I mean, Buchou is like ten kinds of awesome while Makoto, cute as he is, is just.... meh. :unsure:

Oh, I just answered myself.
:lol

PopGilligan

Post by PopGilligan » Aug 18th, '07, 08:08

Noi wrote:I really don't know why I've come to like Buchou so much in comparison to Makoto. I mean, Buchou is like ten kinds of awesome while Makoto, cute as he is, is just.... meh. :unsure:
Oh, I just answered myself.
:lol
Yep. That's how I feel about him. I can't decide if it's because it's the way the character is written in the drama, because I DO like him better in the manga (but not as much as Buchou), or it's the acting. He's just blah...we don't have any reason to CARE for him yet. He likes Hotaru, okay. Nice. But, what else? There's nothing behind his character.

wachi

Post by wachi » Aug 18th, '07, 09:39

How many episodes does this drama have?

Strange, even though this is a romcom, I'm not rooting for either side.. matter of fact, I don't think I care that much.. I rather go with the flow.. whoever ends up together is fine with me. Although, I don't see really see any Hotaru x Boss like almost everyone here is hoping for. :scratch:

kotatsulove

Post by kotatsulove » Aug 19th, '07, 21:39

i'm kind of in between right now. as it is right now in the drama, i'm kind of for either side (but hoping they develop makato's character a whole lot), but if there's any progression between Hotaru and Buchou (which there probably will be) then i'd be happier.

watersmeet256

Post by watersmeet256 » Aug 20th, '07, 01:16

But actually thinking about it, I wouldn't be surprised if the ending ended up like Hotaru ending up with no one at all and sort of "maturing" in the process. I have seen J-dramas in the past like that before and it might be possible for the same plot device to be used.

Haha, although it will be interesting if you had a 3p ending. Gets whacked*

And whoa, next week's episode preview...
マコト(加藤和树)の家での 「お泊り」 が决定した蛍(绫瀬はるか)。しかし自分の腹肉が怖くなり逃げ帰ってしまった。再び、1周间後のお泊りを実现させるべくダイエット计画を决行する蛍だったが、怠け体质の干物女ゆえに全く前进せず…。そんな干物女のダイエットとお泊りは果たして成功するのか!?そして一方、离婚届を送った部长(藤木直人)の元に、别居中の妻・深雪が突然访ねて来た。 蛍が一绪に暮らしていることを知った深雪は、部长に蛍のことを问いつめるのだが・・・。

If, I'm not wrong, it roughly mentions that Hotaru runs out of Makoto's house even though she previously had the intention of spending the night over because she felt fat. She decides to go on a diet to fufill her wish of spending a night at Makoto's house. On the other hand, the boss's wife who recieved the divorce documents pays a visit and finds out that Hotaru is staying with him. To which she is curious about and questions.

I also read somewhere that Hotaru and Makoto actually plan to move in together for a week but when Hotaru reaches and opens the door, she finds....

Wow. The plot is sure moving fast. But this is typical of some dramas...
If they ever follow the manga and let Makoto sleep with Hotaru, I think I just as well die.0_0 And of shock, mind you.

I do hope this isn't too off topic, but people who like the ending song of Hotaru No Hikari should check out Aiko's PV here where she sings that song. It's really nice and I do like her voice~ ^^

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/Vd_PAemn7fU/

People can also check out the mini Tv interview here where in the middle of the clip, shows Naohito and the other office interns voicing their thoughts and opinions about Kazuki. I think it's really nice of them to take care of him because he's the youngest. Lol.

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/33ckgm-5UKU/
Last edited by watersmeet256 on Aug 20th, '07, 11:41, edited 2 times in total.

kezianthei

Post by kezianthei » Aug 20th, '07, 01:50

watersmeet256 wrote:But actually thinking about it, I wouldn't be surprised if the ending ended up like Hotaru ending up with no one at all and sort of "maturing" in the process. I have seen J-dramas in the past like that before and it might be possible for the same plot device to be used.

マコト(加藤和树)の家での 「お泊り」 が决定した蛍(绫瀬はるか)。しかし自分の腹肉が怖くなり逃げ帰ってしまった。再び、1周间後のお泊りを実现させるべくダイエット计画を决行する蛍だったが、怠け体质の干物女ゆえに全く前进せず…。そんな干物女のダイエットとお泊りは果たして成功するのか!?そして一方、离婚届を送った部长(藤木直人)の元に、别居中の妻・深雪が突然访ねて来た。 蛍が一绪に暮らしていることを知った深雪は、部长に蛍のことを问いつめるのだが・・・。

If, I'm not wrong, it roughly mentions that Hotaru runs out of Makoto's house even though she previously had the intention of spending the night over because she felt fat. She decides to go on a diet to fufill her wish of spending a night at Makoto's house. On the other hand, the boss's wife who recieved the divorce documents pays a visit and finds out that Hotaru is staying with him. To which she is curious about and questions.

I also read somewhere that Hotaru and Makoto actually plan to move in together for a week but when Hotaru reaches and opens the door, she finds....

If they ever follow the manga and let Makoto sleep with Hotaru, I think I just as well die.0_0 And of shock, mind you.

I do hope this isn't too off topic, but people who like the ending song of Hotaru No Hikari should check out Aiko's PV here where she sings that song. It's really nice and I do like her voice~ ^^

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/Vd_PAemn7fU

People can also check out the mini Tv interview here where in the middle of the clip, shows Naohito and the other office interns voicing their thoughts and opinions about Kazuki. I think it's really nice of them to take care of him because he's the youngest. Lol.

thanks for the preview.. :D

i just wanted to know more about this..

what happened in the manga? if i may ask..

:-)

Noi

Post by Noi » Aug 20th, '07, 02:44

kezianthei wrote:
watersmeet256 wrote:But actually thinking about it, I wouldn't be surprised if the ending ended up like Hotaru ending up with no one at all and sort of "maturing" in the process. I have seen J-dramas in the past like that before and it might be possible for the same plot device to be used.

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/Vd_PAemn7fU

thanks for the preview.. :D

i just wanted to know more about this..

what happened in the manga? if i may ask..

:-)
They do sleep together, but a few chapters later, I think...

The Artist

Post by The Artist » Aug 20th, '07, 04:05

You know at the beginning of this summer session I thought there were no good jdrama to watch there goes 3 awesome dramas Juken no kamisama , Yama Onna kabe Onna and Hotaru no Hikari. Hotaru is hot yet goofy at the same time. The show so far has been a blast to watch , like many of you I prefer Hotaru wiht the boss because she doesn't have to put a front and can be herself at all times. The girls on that show are very cute as well. I can't wait to see more.

PopGilligan

Post by PopGilligan » Aug 20th, '07, 16:39

Yeah....that wouldn't surprise me at all. It's becoming the "popular" ending, and Hotaru definetely has that feel to it. Hm. I guess I'd like it better than her ending up with Makoto (unless he becomes ridiculously developed), but it would feel a little like a cop-out to me.

Thanks for the links! I've been wondering who sang the theme!

Noi

Post by Noi » Aug 20th, '07, 18:38

For those who don't have it:

Aiko- Yokogao

Download link under spoiler