Which Kdramas are Underrated?

Discuss Korean drama series here.
melonyhappy

Which Kdramas are Underrated?

Post by melonyhappy » Feb 27th, '07, 06:02

Has this been discussed :scratch:

Anyways, which dramas do you think deserved more attention than it received?

I think super rookie is underrated... it's quite funny and not always about romance <- which i didn't really care for. I think Eric's did a great job (but my eyes were glued on Oh Ji Ho the entire time :lol )

18 vs. 29... Its unique compared to some of the drama's I've seen.. and it's cute too. Park Sun Young... she was pretty good at acting serious and being "18" ... lots of cute flashbacks (though i found Park Min Ji stealing the scenes from Shi Won in the young flashbacks.. oh who cares. he's eye candy :P)

Please Come Back, Soon-Ae
hilarious show... both actresses were pretty good at playing both sides. Shim Hye Jin is really different from the character she played in Goong.

finally and Hello God.. Eye candy and great storyline...

edit:
I have to add 9 Ends 2 Outs - I absolutely loved this drama... though i was hoping that it would remain more unique that they remain best friends but it was interesting to watch
Last edited by melonyhappy on May 23rd, '08, 17:39, edited 1 time in total.

Auty
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Auty » Feb 27th, '07, 06:10

The Vineyard Man- I hardly ever hear it being talked about or anything.. I think its very humorous and it has a interesting storyline.. not the typical kdrama, well atleast to me. Yun Eun Hye does an excellent job.. and she is realllly hilarious most of the time.. especially in the beginning! :lol

beertax

Post by beertax » Feb 27th, '07, 17:36

Ruler of Your Own World.

Although it's been 5 years since it last aired, it has a near perfect pace, chemistry, and even a wonderful ending. Its writing is mature, clever, and balanced between emotion and humor. Plus it has very few, if any, cheesy moments and stupid cliffhangers. It's a clear cut above the rest of the KDrama pack.

Shame if you missed it

AboutDrama

Post by AboutDrama » Feb 27th, '07, 21:35

beertax wrote:

Ruler of Your Own World.

Although it's been 5 years since it last aired, it has a near perfect pace, chemistry, and even a wonderful ending. Its writing is mature, clever, and balanced between emotion and humor. Plus it has very few, if any, cheesy moments and stupid cliffhangers. It's a clear cut above the rest of the KDrama pack.
Was my third K-drama... Watch it long time ago after Sandglass. Love the drama...

vickimak

Post by vickimak » Mar 2nd, '07, 16:41

i agree with auty.. vineyard is underrated. i like it so much but i havent ever heard of anyone talking about it ...

TerryBogard

Post by TerryBogard » Mar 3rd, '07, 18:56

I haven't watched much, but I also think Vineyard man was underrated. I enjoyed watching it more than Goong (No offense goong fans). Its probably because Vineyard man was more "realistic" in some sense.

majing_28

Post by majing_28 » Mar 4th, '07, 13:46

i guess wonderful life its very nice and eugene is good in it plus the kid there is very cute

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Mar 4th, '07, 14:37

I have to agree with the original poster. Come Back, Soon Ae is underrated. I'm currenlty watching it and it's hilarious.

And of course Soulmate, Soulmate, SOULMATE!

I thought it was the best drama of 2006, but people tend to ignore this gem.

furelise
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furelise » Mar 5th, '07, 12:17

Néa Vanille wrote: And of course Soulmate, Soulmate, SOULMATE!

I thought it was the best drama of 2006, but people tend to ignore this gem.
Totally agree. I don't know why Soulmate didn't get much attention. I loved it.

pansiu

Post by pansiu » Mar 5th, '07, 22:16

Bad Family, I really do not get it, good acting, even the childs, original story, nice soundtrack.

PJB

Post by PJB » Mar 5th, '07, 22:30

Second Bad Family!

Annessa

Post by Annessa » Mar 6th, '07, 19:24

I watched Come Back Soon Ae last summer. I even caught the Ya Shim Man Man special with the cast... hilarious! I wouldn't say it was "underrated" unless you meant so on here (and other forums discussing kdrama topics). The show did pretty well over in Korea... ratings were mostly well above 20 percent. Wonderful casting... although, I still would've preferred that Jung Woong In played SoonAe's husband (Yoon Il Seok)... instead of Yoon Da Hoon. But I guess he dropped out of the project due to other projects or something... can't remember the reason. I loved Park Jin Hee in this role... I think she's one of the most underrated young actresses. She's been in a handful of films, but I really hope to see her in more dramas. And of course, Shim Hye Jin is a veteran actress... she's always great to watch. I didn't care for the actors in the smaller roles (stewardesses--some of them need to work on their acting skills), but i loved Soon Ae's best friends and Cho-Eun's uncle.

Super Rookie-- I didn't care for it... it started off pretty good, though.

Bad Family was fun family drama... but still, I found much of the storyline to be rather typical. It was enjoyable for me anyway.

I thought Someday was pretty good. I also liked Soulmate... it's not my favorite or anything, but I'd still recommend it.

7654321friend

Post by 7654321friend » Mar 7th, '07, 01:47

oso fee tat the vineyard man is underrated...
its such a nice drama... i thought yoon eun hye did better here than she was in Goong
the chemistry with the Eric-lookalike is good...

sveta

Post by sveta » Mar 7th, '07, 01:58

Bad Family. Its the 2nd KDrama i watched. It is a very unique drama and i loved watching it and laughing my butt off :D

Willow

Post by Willow » Mar 7th, '07, 02:05

I believe Emperor of the Sea was underrated. It was a very well made historical drama with great cast, beautiful scenery, moving music, nice costumes, well-choreographed action scenes and well-written plot with lots of twists. It didn't get its fair share of viewers and publicity as due to a drama of its caliber.

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Mar 7th, '07, 03:06

Annessa wrote:I didn't care for the actors in the smaller roles (stewardesses--some of them need to work on their acting skills), but i loved Soon Ae's best friends and Cho-Eun's uncle.
Hehe, one of the stewardesses was played by Hyun Bin's girlfriend. The one named So Young and involved with Tae Woong (Cho Eun's brother), I believe. She's going to get bigger roles from now on because of her famous boy...

AboutDrama

Post by AboutDrama » Mar 7th, '07, 03:44

Willow wrote: I believe Emperor of the Sea was underrated. It was a very well made historical drama with great cast, beautiful scenery, moving music, nice costumes, well-choreographed action scenes and well-written plot with lots of twists. It didn't get its fair share of viewers and publicity as due to a drama of its caliber.
It's true that this drama has great cast, nice scenery, nice cinematography, well-choreographed action scenes, nice costumes, nice music, and the story is well plotted.

However, My problem with this drama is the pace is very slow... and many times, those previous scenes keep popping up and wasted a lot of time. That's why I lose interest with this drama quickly and I have to drag myself, many times, to finish the drama since I want to know the whole story. The company should decrease the number of episodes and make the pace quicker.

AboutDrama

Post by AboutDrama » Mar 7th, '07, 03:47

Are there any Kdramas that are NOT comedy and are underrated?

Willow

Post by Willow » Mar 7th, '07, 04:10

AboutDrama wrote:
Willow wrote: I believe Emperor of the Sea was underrated. It was a very well made historical drama with great cast, beautiful scenery, moving music, nice costumes, well-choreographed action scenes and well-written plot with lots of twists. It didn't get its fair share of viewers and publicity as due to a drama of its caliber.
It's true that this drama has great cast, nice scenery, nice cinematography, well-choreographed action scenes, nice costumes, nice music, and the story is well plotted.

However, My problem with this drama is the pace is very slow... and many times, those previous scenes keep popping up and wasted a lot of time. That's why I lose interest with this drama quickly and I have to drag myself, many times, to finish the drama since I want to know the whole story. The company should decrease the number of episodes and make the pace quicker.
I agree with you that it could have been better (and shorter) if the flashbacks and the beside-the-sea meditations were cut down but I just thought of them as "creators' prerogative" and enjoyed the music and scenery that came with such scenes :P

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Mar 7th, '07, 04:37

AboutDrama wrote:Are there any Kdramas that are NOT comedy and are underrated?
Ruler of Your Own World was mentioned here. It is not a comedy.

Another underrated non-comedy would be Goodbye Solo.

Annessa

Post by Annessa » Mar 7th, '07, 07:20

Néa Vanille wrote: Hehe, one of the stewardesses was played by Hyun Bin's girlfriend. The one named So Young and involved with Tae Woong (Cho Eun's brother), I believe. She's going to get bigger roles from now on because of her famous boy...
ah... Hwang Ji Hyun. i think i've seen her on a new x-man episode not too long ago too. i'm not really all that impressed... she doesn't stand much in terms of acting ability or looks. i think she's somewhat pretty, i guess. i'm not much of a fan of Hyun Bin either... sure, he's attractive, but i'm not fawning over him like so many other girls i know... lol. i didn't know they were together... i really have not followed much entertainment news or gossip lately.

i believe she's cast in the upcoming drama in a minor role... Witch Yoo Hee w/ Han Ga In and Jae Hee, and others. but i know what you mean about her likely getting bigger roles in the future... the same thing with Park Si Yeon, she was pretty much unknown before her relationship with Eric went public... i honestly don't think the girl can act and she's already been in a few dramas,. but oddly enough, i actually like her. i think she and Eric make a nice couple.

habukie
AiRen
AiRen

Post by habukie » Mar 8th, '07, 02:28

well it had average ratings, but i thought Alone in Love was superb. great acting all around.

melonyhappy

Post by melonyhappy » Mar 8th, '07, 07:34

oh yeah.. I forgot about Bad Family..

Annessa- oh really? Come back soon-ae did well? My sense of popularity isn't in the ratings (I don't know them) just the hype around Soompi and d-addicts fans. Perhaps because the series hasn't been fully uploaded on bt yet.

sorry, I tend to watch comedies over dramas... Well. Hello god's my only non-comedy that I've recommended.

maakopla

Post by maakopla » Mar 9th, '07, 18:27

Yeah Super Rookie is one of my favorite dramas! The plot is great! Cast is perfect! All side characters were really funny and amusing. There were so many small funny things... I must watch it again soon!

Yeah and Bad Family, it´s pretty good after all. Plot is ok, it´s funny and cast is good. Usually kids are bad at acting but thsi girl was so cute^^ and good at acting...

Over The Rainbow was really good drama in my opinion, good cast, good music and entertaining plot.

Also Goong S is pretty good. Everyone hates it cuz it´s spin off. But in my opinion cast is better and plot more interesting than in goong

tanteikun

Post by tanteikun » Mar 10th, '07, 19:13

Definitely White Tower

korel

Post by korel » Mar 23rd, '07, 10:02

the most underrated k-drama for me is danpatppang or red bean buns..the one with park kwang hyun and choi kang hee.

i don't know why i haven't seen some raves about it.i thought is was pretty good. a light romantic drama. one that made me laugh, made me cry without making me feel so sad that i would go to sleep feeling that i was carrying a heavy burden.. hahaha! does that make sense? :lol

Filmfan

Soulmate all the way for me!

Post by Filmfan » Mar 30th, '07, 14:24

I think "Soulmate" is one of the most if not the most underrated show for me. So far as I have seen. But then if I would see something that comes along and it's better, I think I would still love "Soulmate" as well and never forget it cause it's that entertaining.

azndgn26

Post by azndgn26 » Mar 31st, '07, 15:47

Let's Go to School Sang Doo - Many of those who watch Full House don't even give this drama a chance. It's Bi's debut drama and has the best acting. It's number one on my list.

Alone in Love - Too many people prefer a typical teen drama over a mature drama. This drama might have started out a bit slow but after a while, it's something you can't just stop watching. There's so many great factors that make this drama worth watching.

Mr. Goodbye - Although some people would rather prefer watching young actors, Ahn Jae Wook has definitely got the acting skills to make this drama enjoyable. Just because there were many well known actors in this drama, people didn't even give it a chance.

thootshe_roll

Post by thootshe_roll » Mar 31st, '07, 15:57

Definitely Bad Family, Fantasy Couple, and Alone In-Love are underrated drama :-( . I HIGHLY RECOMMENT THEM :thumleft: :wub: :salut: .

biancs

Post by biancs » May 27th, '07, 06:19

Winter Sonata was quite underrated. :roll

senakun

Post by senakun » May 27th, '07, 06:40

Ruler of Your Own World....

Lee Na Young~~~ :wub:

why do people hate it? :lol

starryeyed

Post by starryeyed » May 27th, '07, 13:24

Here's my two cents :-

Lovers is Prague -
the chemistry between the two leads were wonderful.Perhaps imagining a romance between the daughter-of president with a police officer is way over the top but this story was really good.

Alone in Love -
Not your typical run of the mill Korean drama. The story has this 'Japanese drama' sort of mood. You wont find exagerated expressions here.(even if you do it wont bother you the slightest). The soundtrack is awesome, The monologues were thought provoking! Wonderful acting from the two leads (Son Ye Jin was nasty in this one )! A must watch if you're tired of the run-of the mill Korean dramas.

Fashion 70's
I do think this drama is underrated. I'm not sure of the ratings and all. But it certainly deserves more attention. The story was beautiful. Those two child actors will steal your heart!

Fantasy Couple
Good story from the Hong sisters. Although it has the typical Korean plot of amnesia/memory loss, the story builds up with the premise of how a one person can change for the better. Go watch it!

Biscuit Candy
Not sure whether this is the correct title. Story about teacher and student relationship. Not yuckky at all. Definitely underated.

bean

Post by bean » Jun 18th, '07, 09:11

ARGH

Goong S is definetly underated... I think they shuold give it a chance coz after all its se7en first drama.. AND FOR ME ITS BETTER THAN GOONG..

fifimimi

Post by fifimimi » Jun 18th, '07, 19:38

AboutDrama wrote:Are there any Kdramas that are NOT comedy and are underrated?
I'm not a fan of comedies.
I think Spring Waltz was under rated! I LOVED the drama, it was so comfortable and beautiful!

Also..Jumong was big in korea but I think internationally and in online forums its not very well recognised...its a SUPERB drama..absolutely stunning and captivating every single one of the 81 episodes!!

prismatic_star

Post by prismatic_star » Jun 18th, '07, 19:45

Bad Family!!! I laughed and cried and fell in love with each character.

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Jun 18th, '07, 19:57

Historical dramas tend to be underappreciated here (at D-Addicts). Dae Jang Geum was an absolutely brilliant show, with much that would appeal to the D-Addicts demographic, and yet it languishes in relative obscurity here.

fifimimi

Post by fifimimi » Jun 18th, '07, 23:00

pokute wrote:Historical dramas tend to be underappreciated here (at D-Addicts). Dae Jang Geum was an absolutely brilliant show, with much that would appeal to the D-Addicts demographic, and yet it languishes in relative obscurity here.
I couldn't agree more!! DJG is my all time fav drama...however, I think the world-wide success of it (in real world, not d-addict) already makes up for just how good it is. Jumong is almost on par with DJG except that I would have preferred a little bit more love in it but that's completely faded..its not even sweeping the other asian countries like DJG! Sad, people are really missing out!!

infiniti512

Post by infiniti512 » Jun 20th, '07, 03:40

Soulmate!!

ah-pi

Post by ah-pi » Jun 20th, '07, 15:26

infiniti512 wrote:Soulmate!!
I've never heard of this drama. Can you please tell me a little about this drama and who were the stars.

anhnie

Post by anhnie » Jun 20th, '07, 19:33

i think Resurrection is pretty underrated even though it was the BEST suspenseful detective mystery/thriller i've ever seen!` The plot was very well put together to where you cant really figure out or predict what's gonna happen next..every new episode brought a new twist and keeps u excited and hanging on 'til u find out what happens in the upcoming episode. This series kept me on the edge the entire time, it was very suspenseful! Even until the end, totally couldnt predict what would happen.
The cast did a wonderful job all around..especially the lead male, Uhm Tae Woong, he gave an incredible portrayal of his character! I could totally feel all of his emotions. The scenery and kiss scenes were breathtaking and the OST was beautiful, totally matched with the mood of the story. I totally love this series and would recommend it to anyone!

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Jun 21st, '07, 16:17

pokute wrote:Historical dramas tend to be underappreciated here (at D-Addicts). Dae Jang Geum was an absolutely brilliant show, with much that would appeal to the D-Addicts demographic, and yet it languishes in relative obscurity here.
I think it's not so much that we don't appreciate historical dramas, but I'm sure some of us are put off by the fact that most of these dramas run for like 360 episodes. Not really worth investing so much time even if it is potentially good.

HQLover

Post by HQLover » Jun 22nd, '07, 04:46

Defintely----
SOULMATE---it was very clever sitcom
OVER the Rainbow---Very entertaining

XiaoPauli
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by XiaoPauli » Jun 22nd, '07, 05:16

Full House.

Oh wait, the thread topic was underrated, not overrated, right? My bad. :P

Honestly, I don't think there really is such thing as an underrated K-drama. Pretty much any K-drama has a touch of gold in Asia outside of Korea, IMHO.

nophankh

Post by nophankh » Jun 22nd, '07, 05:28

ah-pi wrote:
I've never heard of this drama. Can you please tell me a little about this drama and who were the stars.
Here kid because I love you, a site where you can directly download the drama through Megaupload http://idols-unlimited.com/kdrama-soulmate Join the site so that you don't have to be bothered with annoying ads.

It's not really a drama, but rather a sitcom.
Basically, it's about 4 couple looking to find their soulmate. It's really funny and realistic and not cheesy like some dramas.

What's awesome about this drama is that:
no one dies
no illnesses
no first loves
no bizarre love triangles or squares
no gambling problems
....it's just straight up funny.

Here's a pic of the two leads.

Shin Dong Wook is currently co-starring in WAR OF MONEY.

franchosa

Post by franchosa » Jun 22nd, '07, 06:18

Second Proposal

lilxchinesegrl

Post by lilxchinesegrl » Jun 22nd, '07, 06:25

soulmates.. that drama was hilarious

pongalong

Post by pongalong » Jun 22nd, '07, 06:50

i think that "All In" and "Beautiful Days" are both way way way underrated.. Lee Byung Hun is like Mel Gibson or if you don't like Mel Gibson, Johnny Depp. and if you don't like either, to put it simply, LBH is a brilliant actor. the dramas themselves are written beautifully. i love them both, no one important dies... well minor characters do but eh who cares about them and the actresses are amazing as well. Choi Ji Woo and Song Hye Gyo, i mean how could you go wrong? i'm so sad that LBH isn't in any more dramas, but you should really check him out. he's not the greatest looking guy, but he can sure pull off that "mr. cool aura."
again.. can't stress it enough, you have to watch it.. you won't regret it!

Bam-Bam

Post by Bam-Bam » Jun 25th, '07, 01:53

"Flowers in My Life"

This new drama that's getting great critical reviews but poor ratings in Korea. Ain't that always the case?

http://javabeans.wordpress.com/2007/05/ ... f-flowers/

*Javabeans, isn't she a subber here? :scratch:

Britneylover3

Post by Britneylover3 » Jun 29th, '07, 23:27

I think that "Miss Kim's 1 Million Dollars Quest" is pretty underrated.

Nonbirira

LOVERS!!

Post by Nonbirira » Jul 7th, '07, 13:02

Just finished Lovers! Why hadn't I heard of this? Watched because I had just finished Damo and loved Lee Seo Jin but other than that had heard no buzz at all. WOW! I've watched over 15 Kdramas and this has to be my favorite. Pretty intense (violent) final episode but other than that, EVERYTHING worked for me...

namedx

Post by namedx » Jul 7th, '07, 13:28

True!!! Lovers is perhaps one of the few Kdramas that I wouldn't tire of-in fact I remember enjoying every single ep!!! it kept me hanging till the very end! =)

bjharm

Post by bjharm » Jul 22nd, '07, 13:20

My Sweet Spy, can not really say why, but it is one of the few K-Dramas I have watched twice all the way through

popoycanton

Post by popoycanton » Jul 22nd, '07, 13:36

que sera sera definitely underrated.

cjgohan2003

Post by cjgohan2003 » Jul 22nd, '07, 14:35

Capital Scandal is pretty underrated. It's the perfect blend of classic and contemporary themes, and it doesn't drag like most historical dramas.

I'm surprised it got such low ratings :blink
Last edited by cjgohan2003 on Jul 25th, '07, 01:53, edited 1 time in total.

ooijanice

Post by ooijanice » Jul 22nd, '07, 15:02

I'm with you, popoycanton!
Beautiful Days & All In are definately my all time favourite but underrated.

Superkyle

Post by Superkyle » Jul 22nd, '07, 15:15

im going to say that All In is pretty underrated...
that drama was pretty dope, something different than what i usually saw in dramas...
maybe because of all the action and seriousness of it, but it was good!

Over the Rainbow, it was somewhat serious, it had its cracks and the seriousness when it needed to be there, i liked the drama it wasnt very ordinary, half entertainment biz and half struggle/love story, i just really liked it, it was a good go for all the actors, especially Hwan hee, since it was his first drama and the role was just perfect for him...

christ_freak

Post by christ_freak » Jul 24th, '07, 18:59

definitely Soulmate. I think Hello Miss and Witch Yoo Hee are overrated

Starfire12

Post by Starfire12 » Jul 27th, '07, 08:24

The Sandglass. Even here ast d-addicts almost no one seems to have watched it.

thtlam

Post by thtlam » Jul 31st, '07, 21:35

cjgohan2003 wrote:Capital Scandal is pretty underrated. It's the perfect blend of classic and contemporary themes, and it doesn't drag like most historical dramas.

I'm surprised it got such low ratings :blink
I agree with you Capital Scandal is such a great drama and yet the ratings are low :cry:

uglyamerican

Totally agree........Soulmate was just plain good...

Post by uglyamerican » Aug 2nd, '07, 02:29

nophankh wrote:
ah-pi wrote:
Here kid because I love you, a site where you can directly download the drama through Megaupload http://idols-unlimited.com/kdrama-soulmate Join the site so that you don't have to be bothered with annoying ads.

Basically, it's about 4 couple looking to find their soulmate. It's really funny and realistic and not cheesy like some dramas.

no one dies
no illnesses
no first loves
no gambling problems

nophankh

Post by nophankh » Aug 2nd, '07, 02:41

wow, my earlier post looks like an Ad...ahha. I still protest that Soulmate is underrated. It's freaking hilarious.

mikaila

Post by mikaila » Aug 2nd, '07, 02:46

The Devil - interesting plot with lot of twists, but the ratings are quite low.
Let's go to school, Sangdoo - I think Bi is excellent in this drama. Personally, I like it better than Full House.

melonyhappy

Post by melonyhappy » Aug 2nd, '07, 02:55

nophankh wrote:
ah-pi wrote:

no one dies
no illnesses
no first loves
no gambling problems

You serious? no cliches from kdramas? and it's a comedy?! thanks for the recommendation :D

Tyrea

Post by Tyrea » Aug 3rd, '07, 00:25

nobody mentioned dal ja's spring...maybe i'm wrong but i find it to be sorta underrated here. or well at least not getting the attention it deserves. it's funny,romantic, touching in many ways, rather refreshing since it's not totally cliched and typical, and unlike the majority of other romantic kdramas this one actually has some depth (no offence intended, i'm a huge kdrama fan but the truth is that they're shallow/brainless entertainment). not to mention that it's not focused only and only on love, but on work and friendship too...a bit of a slice-of-life
the thing i liked the most about it is the fact that all characters grow on you...even those that you hated in the beginning. they're just too charming, each has their own motivations, problems and fears, and is ultimately human...you can't help but love them all. the only exception is kang tae bong's ex and it's only because she appears so late, so there wasn't time to develop her character more.

i hope that by being mentioned here it will get a little more attention ^-^ i think it's the only drama i've seen so far that i felt like watching all over again the moment i finished it. it's not flawless (but no kdrama is), and it does get slightly draggy ocassionally, but overall it's just...charming. i really really love it.

oh and lee min ki as kang tae bong is the cutest and most teddy bear-like thing that has appeared in an asian drama :wub: :wub: :wub:

fizzlex3mh

Post by fizzlex3mh » Aug 3rd, '07, 06:10

Tyrea wrote:nobody mentioned dal ja's spring...maybe i'm wrong but i find it to be sorta underrated here. or well at least not getting the attention it deserves. it's funny,romantic, touching in many ways, rather refreshing since it's not totally cliched and typical, and unlike the majority of other romantic kdramas this one actually has some depth (no offence intended, i'm a huge kdrama fan but the truth is that they're shallow/brainless entertainment). not to mention that it's not focused only and only on love, but on work and friendship too...a bit of a slice-of-life
the thing i liked the most about it is the fact that all characters grow on you...even those that you hated in the beginning. they're just too charming, each has their own motivations, problems and fears, and is ultimately human...you can't help but love them all. the only exception is kang tae bong's ex and it's only because she appears so late, so there wasn't time to develop her character more.

i hope that by being mentioned here it will get a little more attention ^-^ i think it's the only drama i've seen so far that i felt like watching all over again the moment i finished it. it's not flawless (but no kdrama is), and it does get slightly draggy ocassionally, but overall it's just...charming. i really really love it.
I couldn't agree with you more. :D Especially the part about the characters. That's the thing about this drama that I love, and makes it different from any other drama i know of. Well said, Tyrea.

emceelegs

Post by emceelegs » Aug 5th, '07, 06:10

QUEEN OF THE GAME, vineyard man

It's one of the best k-drama joo-jin-moo is best and Lee Bo Yeong is very good in this drama aside of course that she is so beautiful..Every episode really gets into you...Ijust wonder why it is seldom mentioned..try watching and you'll get hooked..yes..vineyard man i agree with you guys..its a good drama..oh man seok though not good looking but his role is really good he has a good heart....

Kumaxell
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Kumaxell » Aug 5th, '07, 15:52

The Devil aka Mawang. I think it's because of its genre. It's full of suspense, mystery, of course, psychometry. As one character comes to term with his inner evil, another character is finding his long-lost humanity. It has a good start and a good ending. Not a happy ending but an ending that is fitting for this kind of show. I love it all around.

littledraci

Post by littledraci » Aug 5th, '07, 16:18

Ah, Kumaxell was faster ^-^
But I totally agree with it, Mawang is pretty much underrated.. and I think Flowers for my Life,too..
I wasn't much into this suspense before, but they really did a good and addicting work with the devil... was like :faint: at the end, but I love how they ended this series..
Flowers for my Life..Haven't finished it til now, but read the summaries from javabeans *btw pretty good writing*. But as far as I've watched it's a drama with a pretty good cast, plot and music..I like how it's going on ^-^

tracycutie

Post by tracycutie » Aug 5th, '07, 16:32

recent Kdramas I've watched that I think are underrated are:

- Queen of the Game
- Thank You
- The Devil
- Capital Scandal

i think this is due to the more mature themes of the drama and lack of eye candies of the younger crowd...though i personally think Joo Jin Mo, Jang Hyuk and even Kang Ji Hwan and Ryu Jin are eyecandies myself...the soompi and daddicts crowds are usually more in the teenage bracket and are into romantic comedies and cutesy dramas that better plotted and themed dramas are not given much hype...

cjgohan2003

Post by cjgohan2003 » Aug 5th, '07, 17:20

tracycutie wrote: i think this is due to the more mature themes of the drama and lack of eye candies of the younger crowd...though i personally think Joo Jin Mo, Jang Hyuk and even Kang Ji Hwan and Ryu Jin are eyecandies myself...the soompi and daddicts crowds are usually more in the teenage bracket and are into romantic comedies and cutesy dramas that better plotted and themed dramas are not given much hype...
Yea I know what you mean. There's nothing wrong with the cute-sweet kdramas but too much of it makes my teeth rott :lol

Im surprised even this demographic doesnt like capital scandal, it has a lot of the cute-light hearted fluff that you see in kdramas like full house (the fighting, han ji min's resemblance to SHK :lol ), but still manages to keep its dark, serious tones.

starryeyed

Post by starryeyed » Sep 16th, '07, 00:51

cjgohan2003 wrote:
tracycutie wrote: i think this is due to the more mature themes of the drama and lack of eye candies of the younger crowd...though i personally think Joo Jin Mo, Jang Hyuk and even Kang Ji Hwan and Ryu Jin are eyecandies myself...the soompi and daddicts crowds are usually more in the teenage bracket and are into romantic comedies and cutesy dramas that better plotted and themed dramas are not given much hype...
Spot on observation. I couldnt agree with you more. Look at Capital Scandal for example, except for KJH, the other actors arent your typical crowd pullers in d-addicts. So that probably explains why this drama is not getting the attention it deserves.

If it werent for forums like this people wouldnt know what they're missing.

mewific

Post by mewific » Sep 16th, '07, 01:02

Soulmate is definitely underrated. It's such a shame because this is one of the best k-dramas/sitcoms i've seen. it's unique, refreshing, and hilarious. i love it!!!

littledraci

Post by littledraci » Sep 16th, '07, 21:01

adding Que Sera,Sera... finished it some hours ago...searched for the thread here and...wtf only 3 pages? Even when Eric from Shinhwa is a member of the cast and this was his last drama before his military service :scratch: ?
Aaahh, no matter.. I recommend it :D It's probably due to the more mature themes of the drama and lack of eye candies of the younger crowd, like tracycutie wrote.
But this year there are a lot more dramas with this theme airing, I think ... for what I've seen til know 8)

belleza

Post by belleza » Sep 17th, '07, 08:05

Capital Scandal is easily the most underrated drama of the year. CS was matched against SBS's Money Warfare, and got absolutely killed in the ratings. This is a real shame because this was the freshest production KBS did this year. They put a lot of money into recreating old Seoul and adapting the novel.

CS is probably the closest thing stylistically to a Korean mainstream movie, in that there's a little bit of everything -- action, comedy, history, film noir, melodrama, even a dance number -- and especially there's radical shifts in tone; one gravely scene may be followed by something completely silly and involve the same characters. CS also has the same virtue of a good J-drama -- the story is very intricate, a lot of the gags are set up by the director using witty edits and visual gags, the show mostly keeps to its 4 main characters.

Fans of Korean romantic comedy will also enjoy how a different historical period, very evocatively done, enlivens the same gags and idioms they're seen a 100 times. Fans of J-drama comedies will pick up on the "wink at camera" cartoony banter of the cast. Fans of historical dramas will enjoy how well it surveys both sides of the Japanese occupation, and how each character comes to represent different points of experience and opinion toward the occupation, all done without heavy handed posturing. Little bit for everybody and consistently entertaining.

elaidiosa

Post by elaidiosa » Sep 17th, '07, 08:34

it's been said, but i'll say it again... SOULMATE! not your typicak K-drama... :D

just hope season two would push through..