Login Issue? Delete D-addicts cookie from your browser settings and login again.

How Those Around You React to Asian Dramas

Discuss about anything here that doesn't fit in the other categories. Just don't spam.
Post Reply

You like Asian Dramas but those around you

Don't know I watch them
10
20%
Don't care that I watch them
23
47%
Watch them with me
10
20%
Other (explain).
6
12%
 
Total votes: 49

User avatar
devillicious
Posts: 36
Joined: Feb 14th, '07, 22:58
Location: Computer, Living Room, House (Canada!)
Contact:

How Those Around You React to Asian Dramas

Post by devillicious » Jul 3rd, '07, 21:40

Okay. I have no clue if there is already a thread for this topic but thought I'd ask anyway.

What I want to know is how those around you (friends, family, classmates, co-workers, etc.) react to you watching Asian dramas.

They....
A. Don't know I watch them
B. Don't care that I watch them
C. Tease me to death for watching them
D. Watch them with me
E. Other (explain).


Mine would be C. My family teases me for watching them (all except my younger sister, Eileen). In fact, I have to be on guard when watching my dramas because my dad tends to sneak up on me and will read what the subtitles say. Then he (irriatingly) keeps repeating that line over, and over, and over, and over, and over again in a very annoying voice. He practically mocks my dramas (and even anime!).

However, it would be A for my friends since I've never told them that I watch the dramas. Even if they do know, they don't say anything about it.

Also, I take homeschooling so none of my "classmates" even know I exist let alone that I watch Asian Dramas o.O

P.S. Don't just vote in the poll. I want to hear your comments on this topic too.

User avatar
vulgarshudder
Posts: 47
Joined: Jan 14th, '07, 16:08
Location: Osaka

Post by vulgarshudder » Jul 3rd, '07, 21:56

Mmmm truthfully no one cares. My mum will ask what I'm doing and I'll say watching dramas, and she'll be oh right.

I'll talk about them with my friends who like dramas too, but I'm not bothered if anyone else knows or not.

But I'm 23 and I've had many wide and varied hobbies so this is just another thing to people, and at this age I think people just let you do what you want.

User avatar
devillicious
Posts: 36
Joined: Feb 14th, '07, 22:58
Location: Computer, Living Room, House (Canada!)
Contact:

Post by devillicious » Jul 3rd, '07, 22:06

vulgarshudder wrote:Mmmm truthfully no one cares. My mum will ask what I'm doing and I'll say watching dramas, and she'll be oh right.

I'll talk about them with my friends who like dramas too, but I'm not bothered if anyone else knows or not.

But I'm 23 and I've had many wide and varied hobbies so this is just another thing to people, and at this age I think people just let you do what you want.
I envy you. I don't think that will ever be the case for me. When I get older and even move out, I'm certain that my family will either continue to tease me about it or they will get disgusted, "You're still watching that kind of stuff?!" I'm going with both since each family member has a way of annoying me about it. It's because they aren't into it and think it's plain dumb. I get really annoyed by their stupid comments. My dad is famous for being a big tease and this is just one other reason for him to tease me (though I do my fair share of teasing o.O).

User avatar
vulgarshudder
Posts: 47
Joined: Jan 14th, '07, 16:08
Location: Osaka

Post by vulgarshudder » Jul 3rd, '07, 22:12

Well your dad is just teasing you cos that's what dad's do (yes mine does it as well STILL). He does it cos he loves you and just trying to get your attention. If it REALLY bothers you talk to him about it.

It's all about carving out your own identiy and people accepting you as an adult blah blah *takes talk show theapist hat off* :salut:

User avatar
InTr4nceWeTrust
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 715
Joined: Jan 31st, '06, 21:32
Location: San Clemente

Post by InTr4nceWeTrust » Jul 3rd, '07, 22:20

C. some watch with me. most dont care. 1 friend makes fun of me.

User avatar
devillicious
Posts: 36
Joined: Feb 14th, '07, 22:58
Location: Computer, Living Room, House (Canada!)
Contact:

Post by devillicious » Jul 3rd, '07, 22:23

vulgarshudder wrote:Well your dad is just teasing you cos that's what dad's do (yes mine does it as well STILL). He does it cos he loves you and just trying to get your attention. If it REALLY bothers you talk to him about it.

It's all about carving out your own identiy and people accepting you as an adult blah blah *takes talk show theapist hat off* :salut:
Nah. I know he loves me and it's not something I would hate him over (if there is such a person that would over something dumb like that). I just get back at him by teasing him afterwards :whistling: I just find it irritating but everytime I get mad about it, he laughs about it (immature much?).

Anyway, I see that many people have it good ( :cussing: ). I was hoping at least a couple had the same problem as me (...did I just say hoping?) *cough* Yes well back onto the topic :blink

User avatar
bitt3r--sweet
Posts: 32
Joined: Mar 17th, '07, 18:04

Re: How Those Around You React to Asian Dramas

Post by bitt3r--sweet » Jul 3rd, '07, 22:34

devillicious wrote:
In fact, I have to be on guard when watching my dramas because my dad tends to sneak up on me and will read what the subtitles say. Then he (irriatingly) keeps repeating that line over, and over, and over, and over, and over again in a very annoying voice. He practically mocks my dramas (and even anime!).

Hey, that's exactly what my dad does too :lol Except his English isn't very good, so he repeats everything with a slight accent. I guess that makes it sorta funny itself.

But I would choose D, because I usually watch with my friends. We're such addicts! :thumright:

User avatar
xox-Beautifully-Broken-xo
Posts: 258
Joined: Apr 27th, '06, 00:30
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Post by xox-Beautifully-Broken-xo » Jul 3rd, '07, 22:42

Mine would be B cuz none of my friends at school are Asian, so when I try to say something, they'd just ignore what I had said or tease me about it a little....
But the ones who are Asian are completely white-washed so they don't care at all and also ignore me, so I've stopped talking to them about Asian dramas...
I have one friend who watched dramas so we would discuss it together, lol; so much fun. ^^
She's usually way ahead of me when we watch the same Korean dramas though cuz her sister in Korea sends the episodes to her and she doesn't need subs like I do, lol.
Sometimes she would tell me a little teaser. xPP
But, she's changing school so I'm back to being alone at school with no one to talk to about Asian dramas... v.v
Hopefully I could make new friends, preferrably with people who are interested/watches Asian dramas too, when school starts again so I could at least have people to talk to with the same interests cuz all I watch and listen to are Asian. =P
Quite lonely when you don't have friends in real life to talk with who has the same interests as you...

User avatar
devillicious
Posts: 36
Joined: Feb 14th, '07, 22:58
Location: Computer, Living Room, House (Canada!)
Contact:

Post by devillicious » Jul 3rd, '07, 23:12

xox-Beautifully-Broken-xo wrote:Mine would be B cuz none of my friends at school are Asian, so when I try to say something, they'd just ignore what I had said or tease me about it a little....
But the ones who are Asian are completely white-washed so they don't care at all and also ignore me, so I've stopped talking to them about Asian dramas...
I have one friend who watched dramas so we would discuss it together, lol; so much fun. ^^
She's usually way ahead of me when we watch the same Korean dramas though cuz her sister in Korea sends the episodes to her and she doesn't need subs like I do, lol.
Sometimes she would tell me a little teaser. xPP
But, she's changing school so I'm back to being alone at school with no one to talk to about Asian dramas... v.v
Hopefully I could make new friends, preferrably with people who are interested/watches Asian dramas too, when school starts again so I could at least have people to talk to with the same interests cuz all I watch and listen to are Asian. =P
Quite lonely when you don't have friends in real life to talk with who has the same interests as you...
Yeah. I have a Korean friend too (at my church) but even though she moved here like three or four years ago, she has no interest in talking about Korea. It bugs me because she only talked to my other friend about it. Every now and then she'll talk about Korea but no matter how hard us girls try, she doesn't like having much to do with us. Although, I can't really talk about Korean Dramas since I've never watched any :blink ....yet.

Anyway, the only other person I can talk about Asian Dramas to is my younger sister (14 years old). I got her hooked on the shows too so now we talk about them a lot. Before it was manga now it's dramas :-) Thank goodness there's someone in my family who has similar interests as me :wub:

User avatar
devillicious
Posts: 36
Joined: Feb 14th, '07, 22:58
Location: Computer, Living Room, House (Canada!)
Contact:

Re: How Those Around You React to Asian Dramas

Post by devillicious » Jul 3rd, '07, 23:16

bitt3r--sweet wrote:
devillicious wrote:
In fact, I have to be on guard when watching my dramas because my dad tends to sneak up on me and will read what the subtitles say. Then he (irriatingly) keeps repeating that line over, and over, and over, and over, and over again in a very annoying voice. He practically mocks my dramas (and even anime!).

Hey, that's exactly what my dad does too :lol Except his English isn't very good, so he repeats everything with a slight accent. I guess that makes it sorta funny itself.

But I would choose D, because I usually watch with my friends. We're such addicts! :thumright:
lol Wow! I didn't know that someone had a dad who did the same thing. Though, your dad sounds funnier than mine (but my dad was acting pretty silly earlier when he read subtitles to a song on Why Why Love -- he was flapping his arms like an idiot while singing that part -- way off, I might add :lol ).

bunsie
Posts: 12
Joined: Apr 17th, '07, 18:50

Post by bunsie » Jul 3rd, '07, 23:29

I picked "don't care that I watch them" because that's what the majority of the people around me feel. However, I would also watch j-dramas with my friends. We usually end up watching something that one of us has already seen by ourselves, but it's still fun to rewatch/watch with a friend sitting next to you because you can have a running commentary on the plot.

Oh and when I was watching Goong on my laptop, my mom saw me and commented that she had watched it with my grandma (with Chinese dubs). Then she said, "The people in that show are very beautiful, eh!" That weirded me out a little bit haha... So I guess where I'm going with this is that obviously my family doesn't care because they watch drama themselves.

User avatar
daelite
Posts: 52
Joined: Mar 31st, '07, 21:23
Location: USA

Post by daelite » Jul 4th, '07, 04:22

Most people just don't care, in my situation. I talk about the series and sometimes people think it's interesting but they are never interested in watching it themselves. My mother is often more interested than my friends... ^^;;

I've met a lot of people who saw Winter Sonata or the GTO drama but they aren't necessarily interested in other drama...

mimmi
Posts: 573
Joined: Mar 19th, '05, 22:03
Location: wisconsin

Post by mimmi » Jul 4th, '07, 07:33

My husband watches what interests him, my daughter and her friends watch them too, they usually make it a night for it at my house :-)....my 2 sons don't give a crap about watching them, but they politely listened to it if I casually mentioned them during conversation time :-), some of my friends interested in listening to them and wanted to watch them when ever I talked about them; I think 'cause I make them sound interesting and intriguing when talking a little about some of them :-)....

User avatar
doink-chan
Posts: 249
Joined: May 17th, '05, 22:21
Location: The happy land of doinks
Contact:
United States of America

Post by doink-chan » Jul 4th, '07, 19:31

My family knows I like J-dramas and such but they don't really care about them, nor do they watch much of them. Though my mom once saw me watching some of SekaChuu and some other J-drama in the 'tragedy' genre, and then concluded that all J-dramas are like that. :scratch: Personally I think that the tragic K-dramas are way more over the top, but oh well...XD

User avatar
BabiiBue92
Posts: 33
Joined: Jul 5th, '07, 06:07

Post by BabiiBue92 » Jul 5th, '07, 08:51

lol...Uh, the reason I started watchin Asian Drama was because of mii friends(some of them)
but as for mii parents, well they dunt care...lol
I dunt get one thing thought why would ppl make fun of ppl for watchin Korean/Taiwan ect... dramas....I mean they are just Tv Shows, only form another country/in diff language. Doesnt mean anything is wrong with watchin it.

User avatar
Rasckita
Posts: 364
Joined: Feb 25th, '07, 01:01

Post by Rasckita » Jul 5th, '07, 11:03

B. Don't care that I watch them
That's my answer! It depends on the person though, BUT, most don't care.

Although, some say to me: "Why do you watch these stuff if you dont understand japanese, chinese or korean?" or "How can you stand spending 1 hour listening to people speaking these languages? Don't you get annoyed?" <-- I find these comments really rude! :glare:

And a few people get a little bit curious about it. I was able to convert a few people to asian drama fans. Only a few but better than nothing, neh? :lol

User avatar
MitsukaiKuroi
Posts: 382
Joined: Jan 16th, '07, 18:03
Location: Where Six Side Is Heaven And Nine Side Is Go...

Post by MitsukaiKuroi » Jul 5th, '07, 20:03

Hmmmmmm.....

My problem is that it depends on the person that I am talking to.

I am a bit older so I don't really care about peer pressure anymore. Most of my friends can't get into watching them but they really don't care if I do. They all know that I have been into Japanese music and culture so it is not a shock.

My family is divided... My mother LOVES to watch dramas with me and so we watch most of them together. My boyfriend has watched several of them with me as well and he loves funny dramas more than emotional ones.

My brother and sister think I am the "weirdo" of the family anyway so they just look at me and shrug but they refuse to watch it because they see it as "so foreign that they can not understand it." (I think that is completely ignorant BTW) :glare:

Associates and co-workers have given strange looks when they see Asian actors pasted on my walkman or desktop. (Especially because I am Black). They give me the "but you don't understand what they are saying and the culture is "against blacks" (more ignorance because there is prejudice and acceptance in every race) so why would you be interested in them?

Basically I ignore others because it is about my happiness and my personal enjoyment. If someone wants to enjoy it with me I am extremely happy to share the experience but if they can not get it to it then it is their loss.

Puppet Princess
Posts: 1480
Joined: Sep 3rd, '06, 15:27
Location: Hawaii

Post by Puppet Princess » Jul 5th, '07, 20:26

Well, my brother loves to make fun of me. He doesn't understand it and he mocks it endlessly.... I ignore him though. His girlfriend on the other hand will randomly comment on guy's cuteness or watch something with me if she's suddenly intrigued.

My dad buys dramas for me so he is awesome. And my mom would watch them with me when I lived at home. She would get mad at me though, because she had to go to work but I wasn't able to get out of bed so if I wasn't sleeping I'd get bored and start watching episodes without her. I couldn't help it.

Most of my other family doesn't really care. But I'm guessing it's because my cousins are really into anime so it's not that far off from what they watch. I've gotten my female cousin to watch stuff with me but she's kind of picky about what she will watch. And, it's funny, but I'll be watching something in the living room and my male cousin will come sit next to me to play a video game on the TV but he'll start watching at the same time. He gets curious and asks questions so he can catch up on what the hell is going on. :P

User avatar
vilankz
Posts: 26
Joined: Jul 5th, '07, 20:21
Location: California, USA
Contact:

Post by vilankz » Jul 5th, '07, 20:48

hmm. I dunno, for me it's kinda scattered if you know what I mean. I mean, there are a couple guys that are like, "oh my god, I can't believe you can bear to even look at that crap! they all look like girls!"
..teasingly, of course. still, that doesn't make it okay :[
but then there are guys that actually watch some of the dramas and we talk and stuff. like, "I liked My Girl, but I thought the ending was kind of funky.." etc etc.
but I've actually converted about five people to watching dramas, as well. like, I was watching it in Tech class and a couple of the girls got interested. I mean, in JApanese class we watched Gokusen [with subs, of course], but I mean. that's one of those pretty cheesy dramas, so a lot of people gave me heat for singing the theme song [...and for squealing when Sawada walked in the room rofl]. but after some of them saw Hanadan they had to admit that Matsumoto was a good actor & etc.

but my dad definitely mocks the dramas I watch. of course, in a love-hate relationship kind of way. I mean, I'm sure he's accepted the fact of my Asian obsession, but he still makes fun of it sometimes. my sister is a senior, so she doesn't really have time to watch with me anymore, but we used to watch stuff a lot. I mean, she's the one who got me into it in the first place! :] (her friend got her into it)
&my little brother, who's nine. well, he actually watches with me. lol
like, I was watching Liar Game yesterday and he saw it and was like, "YAY! LIAR GAME!" and he pulled up a chair and started watching. :] He's awesome <3;
my older brother actually started watching some stuff, too. even though before he always said he hated it.



ahah, I've ranted enough. I'll stop now XD

User avatar
ginny_lunallena
Posts: 87
Joined: Jul 2nd, '07, 21:31
Location: MoXiGe

Post by ginny_lunallena » Jul 5th, '07, 21:02

daelite wrote:Most people just don't care, in my situation. I talk about the series and sometimes people think it's interesting but they are never interested in watching it themselves. My mother is often more interested than my friends... ^^;;

I've met a lot of people who saw Winter Sonata or the GTO drama but they aren't necessarily interested in other drama...
what does GTO stand for?

and only my family knows I watch them, my siblings are always like.... "God, you're watching asian dramas again, damn chinese ppl" lol suckers ¬¬
only a few of my friends now (since i just started doing so like a week ago, hi everyone! :salut: ) and the other guy knows how much I'm in love with international ppl, international dramas, foreign cultures etc, so he doesn't mind :)

Sayumi
Posts: 195
Joined: Apr 27th, '06, 13:50
Location: UK

Post by Sayumi » Jul 5th, '07, 21:13

gto is great teacher onizuka, a well-known japanese schooldrama

my parents are already used to it, I used to watch anime before and then they commented, but since I grew out of it (I'm tired of watching 20min-episodes :P), they don't care anymore whether I watch jdrama or not (I watch it in my room anyway, so...)
my mom does tend to say that 'japanese are weird people', but I don't care, cuz I think it's true^-^
some of my friends watch with me sometimes, but not always. One girl who really isn't into japan or so, she was watching 'ai no uta' with me and she was really commenting and everything like 'why is she so sad' etc. -> that surprised me
but when I say 'yaaaah I got another epi of ...', the look on my friends' face is always like 'there she goes again...'

furthermore, as a comment on previous posts: I think it's great if you have someone to watch with and be able to talk about it and such... that's not in my case:P

User avatar
cjgohan2003
Posts: 26
Joined: Feb 8th, '07, 23:59

Post by cjgohan2003 » Jul 6th, '07, 13:09

I tell most of my asian friends that I watch kdramas. Either they don't care, or watch it with me :lol

My mother on the other hand teases me to death about it. She's like "isn't those types of shows for girls?" :glare: Gosh, i hate double standards :lol

Nonbirira
Posts: 149
Joined: May 12th, '07, 12:34
Location: Japan

Post by Nonbirira » Jul 6th, '07, 13:24

It's not so much that they don't know or don't care that I watch Korean dramas...they just haven't got the slightest idea what they are! (I live far away from my family.) Korean dramas simply don't compute! No concept! No interest! Nice to be left alone though - and it's nice to have a place like D-addicts to share my addiction! My husband thinks I'm a bit overboard on it - but he's addicted to his samurai dramas so we're even! :mrgreen:

btw, hello devillious! I'm originally from Alberta too! Missing Canadian summer - hot and sticky here! :D

namedx
Posts: 63
Joined: Jul 19th, '06, 17:16

Post by namedx » Jul 6th, '07, 21:37

Lol I saw this thread, and I just knew I had to reply to you guys!!! Thank God many of us are in the same camp hehe-woo hoo!
My brother and sister think I am the "weirdo" of the family anyway so they just look at me and shrug but they refuse to watch it because they see it as "so foreign that they can not understand it." (I think that is completely ignorant BTW)


The above statement sums it up for me-I am officially labelled the "weirdo"-lol even more so these past couple of days as I've started to listen to Jpop/Korean and Taiwanese music on loud vol whilst cleaning away in the kitchen etc. I was listening to Kanjani8 yesterday-my bro-a 14 yr old brat walks in, shouts "CRAZY" lol then walks away!! arrghhh-plus living in the UK not knowing many people except those online youtube and d-addicts, many don't understand my passion for Asian dramas. I thought I could get my older sister hooked, as she's a huge fan of Chinese/Korean films. She watched one soppy K drama-lol she never dared to watch another!! Even after I tried explaining to her that you get all types of genres and even if you don't have time, J dramas are sooo good as they only last till 10 or so eps!! My attempts to “convert” her have so far failed. Sigh-apart from that the rest of my family just don't understand. Only because they've never attempted to watch any with me-lol so I've made it my goal to get them interested!! (I know good luck to me!) In fact, because my ethnic background is of Indian origin, lol my mothers like "why on earth do you watch Asian dramas (those of a different language) when you've got plenty of Indian dramas to watch!! Sighs-Indian dramas do NOT compare-lol I've got to explain this to her!! I'm glad I have this passion for Asian dramas, I'm proud of my appreciation for world cinema and diverse cultures! But it is nice when you get people converted, just so you can talk to them about your latest drama obsession. PeAce out =)

brian55112
Posts: 15
Joined: Jul 25th, '06, 00:15

Post by brian55112 » Jul 8th, '07, 04:33

90% of ppl hate subs. if i could get ppl to be patient and watch i think they whould get hooked.

User avatar
Sakuranantogay
Posts: 39
Joined: Apr 3rd, '07, 19:41
Location: OzL0

Post by Sakuranantogay » Jul 8th, '07, 04:49

That's only in english speaking countries like America. For instance in Europe we grow up with subs.

Back to da topic: What my friends react to isn't that I watch them, but that I watch so many. Some of them watch dramas occasionally too, but that's like one drama every two months or so. But approximately all of my friends are filipinos, so maybe that's why they don't react negatively.

User avatar
rinchan089
Posts: 29
Joined: Jul 9th, '07, 01:11
Location: New Jersey

Post by rinchan089 » Jul 9th, '07, 02:02

My friends hate that for liking anything remotely Asian.

They always say, "Lauren... You're not asian..."

But I love this stuff anyway :D [/i]

User avatar
charming_khalela
Posts: 27
Joined: May 17th, '07, 04:04
Location: Philippines

Post by charming_khalela » Jul 10th, '07, 05:23

Same with Sakuranantogay my friends react to isn't that I watch them, but that I watch so many :D They sometimes they think I'm a bit overboard coz my PC is covered with korean actors. The people in the house sometimes watch it with me, my husband is really a darling he buys me DVD since he know I love to watch them. :-)

User avatar
Shadow Hexagram
Posts: 390
Joined: May 22nd, '05, 05:34
Location: Paca - France
Contact:

Post by Shadow Hexagram » Jul 10th, '07, 05:57

rinchan089 wrote:My friends hate that for liking anything remotely Asian.

They always say, "Lauren... You're not asian..."
Funny reactions I would say. It's like saying something like: "why eating at Mc Donald's, you're not even American", or people from abroad fancying my culture when they're not even French. Sorry to tell you this, but it is utterly stupid (unless, of course, you've given them the wrong impression by overdoing it a little bit too much, like them having an OD of hearing you talking about this over and over again.... Don't get it wrong, it's just an hypothesis here). You don't need to be native of a specific culture to enjoy their entertainment industry.

What about me watching dramas and the reaction of people around? Honestly those who don't like it have learnt to keep shut. The reason why? Back in the early 90's, in my country, we were only a handful struggling to have anime being recognised, and we were labelled as freaks. But nowadays, France has become a major Western country in term of manga and anime sales. It's not shameful to read one or watch one any longer, a bit like owning a video-game station... Funny reversal of fortune, I'd dare say...

So now that I've been into dramas, and that I grew up, I talk a bit about it when need be, everyone knows about this (except at work), but no one says anything unless they want to borrow a series or two...

User avatar
spokeydokey00
Posts: 107
Joined: Aug 1st, '06, 04:52

Post by spokeydokey00 » Jul 10th, '07, 06:08

my friends and family know i watch them. I only have a few friends that are into aspects of japanese culture like anime. but for the most part i figure my friends don't care, don't wanna read subtitles, and probably wouldn't go through the trouble of downloading a jdrama or jmovie. but for my friends who are into anime, i'm not sure if they would give jdrama a shot. I was into anime way before jdrama. now that i am into both i have a hard time finding time to watch both.

TofuQueen
Posts: 105
Joined: Nov 1st, '06, 02:28
Location: Idaho, USA

Post by TofuQueen » Jul 10th, '07, 06:40

I voted "other"...

Nobody I know really teases me about them, though some people just say, "uh..." and give me a blank stare when I say I watch Japanese TV. The responses are much more interesting when I tell people I'm trying to learn Japanese so I can read manga! :roll

My mom is mildly interested & actually watched the Tiger and Dragon first episode/special and enjoyed it, but she hasn't watched the rest (yet). My step-dad has seen some J-dorama, studied Japanese for several years, & is interested in the culture, but he's not particularly interested in watching more J-doramas. My brother's more into anime, except that he's so busy with "real life" right now that he's not watching much.

My two boys are very interested, but it's kind of hard to find things that are appropriate for 11-year-olds to watch! Liar Game will probably be ok, but it's hard for me to think of another one that would hold their interest & not inspire too many hard-to-answer questions. :lol My boys also like to watch concerts & like some J-pop/rock, though they DO tease me about being an Arashi fangirl (which is true, though I try to keep it under control :P ).

namedx
Posts: 63
Joined: Jul 19th, '06, 17:16

Post by namedx » Jul 10th, '07, 09:01

Lol the way I see it, appreciation of various other cultures is a celebration of diversity-particularly if you're living in parts of the West such as the UK (where I live), where ethnic minorities represent the majority. If the food culture of the West (MacD etc), the film industry- Hollywood, heck even Bollywood has become universal-I would love to see Asian cinema heading that way, whereby it becomes more of the 'norm wth people'. Well already here in the UK we have martial arts season, thanks to Jonathan Ross, who hosts the best of Chinese cinema, and film4 has shown a few Japanese films on rare occasion (I guess thats a step up!!). I'm however still hoping for the day that our Sky Digitial package will provide us with a few additional channels such as 'JTV' (C /Tw/ K) ---> lol O well, think i'm thinkin too far ahead!? sigh one can always hope :P

PeAce out

User avatar
Star Candy
Posts: 27
Joined: Jul 8th, '07, 11:28
Location: Neverland

Post by Star Candy » Jul 10th, '07, 09:26

When my friends first learned I can read russian, they were like :blink
when they heard that I learn japanese they were like: "ok, she's mad"
when they heard that I watch kdramas, jdramas, and also eastern type movies, they were like: "my, my, that's crazy :crazy: aren't our movies better than their?"

frankly speaking, I don't give a d*mn about it... since they don't like asian movies it would be better if they didn't insult other cultures, but what can I say, I heard from them many nasty speeches about asian cultures :glare: I wouldn't even dare post them here... it hurts to know that some peole treat Asia as an outcast from the entire world

It's wonderful that you can find so many different cultures and so many individuals in Asia... I love Asia and no one will change this. In future I intend to learn most of the languages spoken there. :salut:

User avatar
Noale
Posts: 133
Joined: May 27th, '07, 18:27
Location: Amsterdam

Post by Noale » Jul 10th, '07, 12:17

Mine tease me ^^ At least my father does. He finds it funny to shout "Ching Chang Chiong" through the room whenever he sees me watching it and then he still dares to call me crazy :scratch: Honestly, it's not my fault that TV can be so boring at times and Asian drama can be so addicting :whistling:

User avatar
rinchan089
Posts: 29
Joined: Jul 9th, '07, 01:11
Location: New Jersey

Post by rinchan089 » Jul 11th, '07, 02:46

Shadow Hexagram wrote:
rinchan089 wrote:My friends hate that for liking anything remotely Asian.

They always say, "Lauren... You're not asian..."
Funny reactions I would say. It's like saying something like: "why eating at Mc Donald's, you're not even American", or people from abroad fancying my culture when they're not even French. Sorry to tell you this, but it is utterly stupid (unless, of course, you've given them the wrong impression by overdoing it a little bit too much, like them having an OD of hearing you talking about this over and over again.... Don't get it wrong, it's just an hypothesis here). You don't need to be native of a specific culture to enjoy their entertainment industry.
I haven't talked about Japanese stuff all the time since, like 7th grade. It just really interests me. The culture, the manga, the dramas... I don't know why, but I'm completely drawn to it. My friends say that stuff knowing they can't change that about me but they wish they can. :)

I only discuss it now with people who I know have an interest in it so I don't get reactions like that. Also, my town is extremely image conscious. Being into Japanese stuff isn't really accepted.

User avatar
Shadow Hexagram
Posts: 390
Joined: May 22nd, '05, 05:34
Location: Paca - France
Contact:

Post by Shadow Hexagram » Jul 11th, '07, 04:31

rinchan089 wrote:I haven't talked about Japanese stuff all the time since, like 7th grade. It just really interests me. The culture, the manga, the dramas... I don't know why, but I'm completely drawn to it. My friends say that stuff knowing they can't change that about me but they wish they can. :)

I only discuss it now with people who I know have an interest in it so I don't get reactions like that. Also, my town is extremely image conscious. Being into Japanese stuff isn't really accepted.
indeed, better not talking when not asked in order to not stir troubles and disrupt the sacro-sanct order in your town....
And after all a town is a town and at the other end of the road there's always another one, with other people, other potential contacts that can share the love (in dramas I mean...)
But when you say "I don't know why, but I'm completely drawn to it", why do you think it is so? It's funny you know, because one of my good friends (who owns a manga store) and I had a very interesting, thorough conversation yesterday, about people who drown themselves into their passion for entertainment and also why....
Last edited by Shadow Hexagram on Jul 11th, '07, 05:37, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
horndogbuddhist
Posts: 245
Joined: Dec 11th, '05, 19:35
Location: USA
Contact:

Post by horndogbuddhist » Jul 11th, '07, 05:09

Ah too many people pick on me because I watch dramas....My friends think I'm a sissy for doing so...but I'm learning so much by watching them. Learned how to introduce myself to my current and hopefully GF/Wife by watching Korean dramas... So I guess that I really have the last laugh.

User avatar
christaluvsdrama
Posts: 396
Joined: Feb 3rd, '07, 09:20
Location: California
Contact:

Post by christaluvsdrama » Jul 11th, '07, 05:19

All my friends watch the same thing, but my mom likes to make fun of me becuz I'm becoming a fanatic in watching them becuz I spend too much time on the internet. Though, isn't better I be on the internet compared to other youths who are ruining their lives doing every wrong thing in the book? I luv what I like, always hehe

User avatar
rinchan089
Posts: 29
Joined: Jul 9th, '07, 01:11
Location: New Jersey

Post by rinchan089 » Jul 11th, '07, 18:19

Shadow Hexagram wrote:
rinchan089 wrote:I haven't talked about Japanese stuff all the time since, like 7th grade. It just really interests me. The culture, the manga, the dramas... I don't know why, but I'm completely drawn to it. My friends say that stuff knowing they can't change that about me but they wish they can. :)

I only discuss it now with people who I know have an interest in it so I don't get reactions like that. Also, my town is extremely image conscious. Being into Japanese stuff isn't really accepted.
But when you say "I don't know why, but I'm completely drawn to it", why do you think it is so?
I think it's because the Japanese entertainment industry is so imaginative and fun and creative and original. It's so cool to me. Also, I think sometimes that I must be a reincarnated Japanese person. Which is a strange thought, but I really do think that.

User avatar
Shadow Hexagram
Posts: 390
Joined: May 22nd, '05, 05:34
Location: Paca - France
Contact:

Post by Shadow Hexagram » Jul 11th, '07, 18:39

rinchan089 wrote: I think it's because the Japanese entertainment industry is so imaginative and fun and creative and original.
Like Great Britain's....

User avatar
rinchan089
Posts: 29
Joined: Jul 9th, '07, 01:11
Location: New Jersey

Post by rinchan089 » Jul 11th, '07, 18:41

Shadow Hexagram wrote:
rinchan089 wrote: I think it's because the Japanese entertainment industry is so imaginative and fun and creative and original.
Like Great Britain's....
I've heard a lot of their TV shows are boring. :)

User avatar
angel333
Posts: 28
Joined: Jun 11th, '07, 19:07
Location: USA/Europa

Post by angel333 » Jul 11th, '07, 18:44

Oh yes my parents teasing me. They were shocked that me coming back for summer from USA is watching Asian dramas.(Everything started from the drama Mars. After this drama the only series I watch are Asian). My dad is calling me sushi queen.
at the beginning my younger sister and her friends were making fun of me when I was trying to download or watch them,( I don't know but at home it is hard to download the drmas form d-addict.) They were saying that i start even to look Asian, however all of them were watching their stupid spaninsh soap operas.I can not imagine that I even watched them one day. But now my sister is not making anymore fun of me, now she like crazy is watching the dramas. Now she is worried because in a week she is leaving for her exchange program to USA and she will not see the last episode of liar game. So now at leat its not only me .

User avatar
Shadow Hexagram
Posts: 390
Joined: May 22nd, '05, 05:34
Location: Paca - France
Contact:

Post by Shadow Hexagram » Jul 11th, '07, 18:48

rinchan089 wrote: I've heard a lot of their TV shows are boring. :)
hearing about and actually watching them is like making your mind from what you've heard or what you've experienced.... experience always beats misconceptions. :whistling:

Farah_UK
Posts: 49
Joined: Jun 2nd, '07, 18:57
Location: London, England

Post by Farah_UK » Jul 11th, '07, 21:35

Well I must agree with some of the above posters about UK's TV being boring. I gave up watching British TV two years ago, I only follow some shows like Prison Break and Lost, British TV these days is all about reality TV, can't stand them to be honest :x and British soap operas like Eastenders and Coronation Street, not sure if people know them, are major bore and dull, that is why I turned to Japanese dramas, thank God for them. :lol

microsoftExcelExcel
Posts: 59
Joined: Apr 2nd, '07, 22:36
Location: Illinois

Post by microsoftExcelExcel » Jul 11th, '07, 21:48

My close friends don't care. My other friends don't know. But, my little brother teases me about it. I'm kinda addicted to dramas now, but only during summer breaks. I usually stay away from them during the school year. I still watch regular tv from time to time. I try to catch Monk, Scrubs, Prison Break, the Colbert Report, and House. I'm thankful that they're in English because most of the time I'm frustrated about the fact that I can't understand a single thing they're saying in dramas without subtitles.

User avatar
DramaholicxD
Posts: 107
Joined: Apr 11th, '07, 00:25
Location: Under Your Bed

Post by DramaholicxD » Jul 11th, '07, 22:22

hmm... My family doesn't really care that I watch Asian dramas but they do know that I watch them too much. xDD and sometimes my dad will come in my room and say that I watch too many jdramas that I should become Japanese and sometimes kid about stuff and I kid right back hahahaha it's so fun to do that with him xDD... we'll be all like making up stuff xDD..yeah and my friends well sometimes they watch it with me when I make the dramas seem intresting... I got my brother's friend hooked on dramas cause he watched Liar Game muhahahahaha. I'm very evil :lol

garnet07
Posts: 535
Joined: May 4th, '04, 04:18
Location: Cali, USA
Contact:

Post by garnet07 » Jul 11th, '07, 22:38

I love watching Asian Dramas. I have close friends and my mom who watches with me. But sometimes my mom is hard to discuss with especially those dramas that have thinking with them. I think the ones she gets is mostly crying ones like most Korean dramas. She easily forgets about the stories though because when I ask her about a scene later on, she's like

mom: "what are you talking about?"
me: "ehh, remember ..... oh nevermind"

Sometimes I get really annoyed when she does that when she just watched it like 2 weeks ago.

As for my close friends, its so fun discussing with them. I tend to choose the dramas and we watch it together. Sometimes, I also get my bro to watch some japanese dramas with me like Family dramas or mystery dramas like Ame To yume no ato ni, 1 Litre of Tears, liar game, shibuya 15, satorare. My other relatives do not know, my dad do not care and well its my hobby so I couldnt care less what other people think.

User avatar
Li-Mei
Posts: 61
Joined: Mar 4th, '06, 23:55

Post by Li-Mei » Jul 11th, '07, 22:58

No one knows that I watch dramas. Only my brother who doesn't care about it and my parents. I tell them that I watch them as a reference as to how to speak the language. Well, that's half the truth.

User avatar
vancouver927
Posts: 15
Joined: Jul 11th, '07, 22:36
Location: Vancouver, Canada

Post by vancouver927 » Jul 11th, '07, 23:28

I find it funny how some people are commenting that they are being made fun of watching asian television. I don't hear too many cat calls about people antagonizing others about watching asian film. Korean, Japanese and Chinese cinema seems to be very popular these days and now actors and films from asian countries are winning awards at a steady pace. It seems very clear a lot of non-asian people still trivialize the talent and the quality of art that asian people can produce. I'm not surprised.

As far as I'm concerned, there are a lot of K-dramas that are much better than the reality tv crap that has infested North America these days.

As for the original question, I would definitely say that there is a 100% chance that my immediate family members and friends would have no problem with me watching korean television because well...I'm Korean. Honestly, it would be incredibly annoying having someone over my shoulder poke fun at me watching what I wanted. A lot of the themes from Korean dramas hit more closely to home than say a north american tv show (even though I was born in Canada).

User avatar
Noale
Posts: 133
Joined: May 27th, '07, 18:27
Location: Amsterdam

Post by Noale » Jul 12th, '07, 09:56

Well, my friends - those who know anyway - don't tease me about it, because they're young and are aware that Asian tv is becoming more popular. In Holland we even have "Asian screen" on MTV, showing a couple of Asian movies every weekend. But when it comes to the old generation - my parents - they think it's pretty weird. What they should do though is watch tv more often, and not only sports and the news, and then decide if watching other cultures' tv is still weird. Besides, I'm 25% Asian, doesn't that give me the right to watch Asian drama 25% of my spare time? :scratchchin:
Last edited by Noale on Jul 12th, '07, 10:11, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Ore.Sama
Posts: 96
Joined: Mar 29th, '07, 11:02
Location: UAE

Post by Ore.Sama » Jul 12th, '07, 10:01

All my family, friends tease me abt it (except my sis).

Once a friend tried to watch HNYD & she couldnt stand it... she's like "i wanted to put it on mute... japanese is just annoying... they talk in the same tone weather they're being nice or insulting!" >_<

and 4 some reason they think that all asian languages sound like "shing hing hong" :scratch: ...

Tomorrowishes
Posts: 17
Joined: Jul 11th, '07, 02:01

Post by Tomorrowishes » Jul 12th, '07, 13:10

rinchan089 wrote:My friends hate that for liking anything remotely Asian.

They always say, "Lauren... You're not asian..."

But I love this stuff anyway :D [/i]
I soooo get that. When I saw this thread I was like OMG I can sooo relate. My school has a HUGE asian population and in my first year I made a few friends just because I liked asian dramas. They were like :goggle: that someone non-asian was watching asian dramas and we immediatly became friends. One of my closest friends is a guy however and he's always teasing me how maybe I wished my life would turn out like a drama (which I don't btw) and how I'm more asian washed than he is. From him and some of my other friends I guess I don't mind but from others....

But it hasn't stopped me. I'm slowly pushing dramas on to my friends. Even if they refuse to watch it sometimes I talk to my friends on msn while watching the drama every now and then giving them an update. They're kinda into it now. But you'll always get those few people who are going to be like :blink "Your life isn't going to turn out like that you know...or uh....okay...but you get you're not asian right?" The thing is most of us aren't trying to be. We just enjoy a little bit of their media (eg dramas).

My parents don't seem to care. Yeah they make fun. Like one time there was this girl crying next to this other guy (a breakup maybe?) in front of my house and my mom joked around saying that there's drama everywhere, no need to watch behind a computer screen. They only worry that it distracts me from school. Heck my mom ended up hanging around when I watched Goong.

So for all of you who have people giving you a tough time about this, remembering that some of them love you, FIGHT THE POWER! Fighting! :cheers:

User avatar
Bankai
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 90
Joined: Jan 15th, '06, 07:04
Location: Australia

Post by Bankai » Jul 12th, '07, 14:22

My friends don't really care, I've converted one of them though =]. I made him listen to asian music as well, and now he's really into it. One of my friends who doesn't really care is asian but almost completely white-washed and won't touch anything asian with a 50 foot pole (other than food or people). I also have one who teases me about it, but on an on-and-off basis, despite the fact that he's seen a few himself.

My parents watch a lot (I'm asian, so I was kinda brought up with watching dramas, but only started watching a lot recently) but in vietnamese (it's dubbed), but then they say I shouldn't watch so much because I should concentrate on my studies :glare: . I seriously don't do that badly though, I'm pretty smart actually, even if I do say so myself :lol I have a lot of cousins too, and they pretty much all grew up the same way I did, they're parents all watch a lot of asian dramas, and so do they. Pretty much all they're friends do as well.
I'm pretty much surrounded by all this asian-ness, my suburb basically has the largest congregation of asians (mainly vietnamese/chinese) in the state... Sort of an exaggeration lol. In the shopping area, you can't walk a block without seeing at least five vietnamese restaurants and a drama rental shop, but all dubbed in vietnamese though.

My school has a lot of asians too, I would say maybe 50 - 75% is asian, mainly because it's a selective high school, so the only we you can get in is by passing this "Selective Test". A lot of asian parents of my generation push they're kids to study, and that's why there are so many. I would estimate that quite a few of the people in my school have watched asian dramas as well.

Okay, I'll stop ranting now. I'd intended for this to be as short as possible, but it looks like that's now down the drain... :whistling:

User avatar
Hanazawa Rui
Posts: 187
Joined: Feb 4th, '07, 12:01
Location: U>A<E - Dubai

Post by Hanazawa Rui » Jul 12th, '07, 14:44

some tease me some ignore me but most tease -My friends they tease me alot and they go HOW DO U WATCH THOSE STUPID STUFF and i go like WAT THERE NOT STUPID .....and i ask them u have to watch it and they go like NO WAY

my other friends they dont say a thing so once i told them lets watch HYD - they went crazy and saw it with them again

and i gave my friends bro gokusen they went crazy too

but most ppl tease me - and say they alll look alike ------- *NO there different*


but i have a friend that watches Adrama and we take about it alot

namedx
Posts: 63
Joined: Jul 19th, '06, 17:16

Post by namedx » Jul 12th, '07, 14:48

...yes, I’m still hoping for that JTV channell!!!! lol one day :whistling:

Even though I’m Indian Asian, living in the UK many of my close friends come from various ethnic backgrounds-white and non-whites. So I still get the odd few dodge comments, lol all in good humour! Though I'm not going to deny that I prefer watching Asian dramas, in fact I’m intrigued by the Japanese pop culture, and I’m not weary of telling people about it!! (Well those who’ll listen)! I tend to embrace it as an additional hobby, and an added sensation to the dull British lifestyle that I normally lead. The reason why I like to spend my time watching various Asian dramas is simply because it's different-a change from the norm. And trust me, when you're surrounded by tonnes of reality British TV shows and other soaps such as Easterners which has made its fame by appearing on British TV for what seems like decades-lol a drama which can last up to 10 eps is pure genius!!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests