Japan // hm.. what to bring.. what to bring

Discuss about travelling to or living in another country.
bluemoo21

Japan // hm.. what to bring.. what to bring

Post by bluemoo21 » Apr 1st, '07, 19:32

I'm planning on going to Japan. I've taken Japanese classes and I think I'm pretty fine with the language, but I really don't know what to bring or what to do before I actually get there.. I know almost everything is expensive over there.. Help? :unsure:

spacecommand

Post by spacecommand » Apr 1st, '07, 20:03

We'll you'll need a passport.
Going to Japan for what? School?
Where are you from? (might need a proper visa depending on what you plan to do)
I know almost everything is expensive over there
Myth depending on where you're coming from, and the items you want to get. Yes some things are more expensive, but others are not expensive. Depends on the traveler, you can stay 1,000 USD a night in a 5 star hotel or 30bux in a hostel.

bluemoo21

Post by bluemoo21 » Apr 2nd, '07, 08:05

im going to Japan to visit.. I'm still thinking of schooling there, but I don't think I'd be able to stay there that long.. I'm from the U.S.(Cali to be exact).. i'd probably have to save up for a hotel...
ahh.. it would be soo nice if I knew someone there....

spacecommand

Post by spacecommand » Apr 3rd, '07, 00:28

If you're 16 as your profile says, you might run into a few snags.

First the airline would probably need parental permission to allow you to fly alone. But then when you arrive in Japan, I'm not too sure what Immigration Inspector would say to a minor traveling alone.

bluemoo21

Post by bluemoo21 » Apr 3rd, '07, 02:09

spacecommand wrote:If you're 16 as your profile says, you might run into a few snags.

First the airline would probably need parental permission to allow you to fly alone. But then when you arrive in Japan, I'm not too sure what Immigration Inspector would say to a minor traveling alone.
oh.. no :lol im not going to be traveling alone. i'm going to be traveling with someone older but just as clueless as I am about going.

spacecommand

Post by spacecommand » Apr 3rd, '07, 06:23

Is that person a relative? if not, you still have those snags.

bluemoo21

Post by bluemoo21 » Apr 3rd, '07, 14:38

yes she's a relative :lol

merou

heya

Post by merou » May 17th, '07, 21:53

Where will you be going in Japan? If ya tell me that, I might be of help.

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » May 17th, '07, 21:58

Bring money, of course!! Beware of trying to stock up on some commodity, like U.S. made skateboarding gear, and reselling it over there... Unless you have an "in" with some retailer over there who can move it for you you'll get stuck with it.

bluemoo21

Re: heya

Post by bluemoo21 » May 19th, '07, 20:13

merou wrote:Where will you be going in Japan? If ya tell me that, I might be of help.
i was thinking of going to tokyo.. probably one of the busiest and most crowded cities?

spacecommand

Post by spacecommand » May 19th, '07, 20:23

Not one of the busiest or crowded cities, it is the busiest and crowded metropolis.

As I mentioned before you can get most things, that you would need for living in Tokyo.

merou

Noobs guide to Tokyo!

Post by merou » May 19th, '07, 21:03

Ok, since your going to Tokyo, I know it like the back of my hand. I'm assuming you have never been to Japan, and since you are planning on going to Tokyo, then you are more than likely going to arrive at Narita Airport. Once there, you do your usual stuff, and pick up your luggage, from there I would send your luggage along to your hotel, I recommend you reserve a hotel way in advance.

Now you need to get out of the airport, one way, I found most comfortable was to take the Skyliner, its a really nice train, that goes to Tokyo. It is around 20 bucks I think, not sure, correct my if I'm wrong. I think every hour it comes and goes, so you might have to wait a while. Once you get on the train, its around a hour trip, its really nice and comfortable. : D

At the last stop of the train in Ueno, you have to exit the Skyliner station and walk a few blocks down to another train station, where you catch the Yamanote Line(green stripe, I think) headed in the direction of Uguisudani. And from there, you can choose basically many locations at where to stop throughout most of Tokyo. I recommend finding your hotel, then from there knowing your location.

If you want a focal point from where to start your exploring, I would recommend the Shinjuku Eki(station), since its the biggest station in the world i think. This station has many trains leading everywhere basically. I have attached a map of the train system in Tokyo, i know its a bit blurry, scanner is kinda crappy. (if you want high quality one pm me)

Tokyo subway map: http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i116/ ... subway.jpg
And also a map of Akihabara the eletronic district:
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i116/ ... akimap.jpg

I also have a Harajuku map, but its a bit hard for me to scan, since its big, but if u really want it pm me.

Oh yeah, and about buying tickets, you just simply go to the machines, careful which machines, some are used for certain trains. I recommend buying the cheapest train ticket, and if you overexceed the limit in the ticket, pay a fare exchange at a machine, dont worry i know this sound confusing but there is tons of English signs there to help the foreigner, haha. Well that about wraps it up. Hope this helps. Oh, pack light, i can't stress this enough, pack light, or your gonna regret it. I don't recommend bringing a laptop, unless you really need it! You can easily go to a cyber cafe, they are really cheap there. See ya!

spacecommand

Post by spacecommand » May 19th, '07, 21:52

[quote]Now you need to get out of the airport, one way, I found most comfortable was to take the Skyliner, its a really nice train, that goes to Tokyo. It is around 20 bucks I think, not sure, correct my if I'm wrong. I think every hour it comes and goes, so you might have to wait a while. Once you get on the train, its around a hour trip, its really nice and comfortable. : D

At the last stop of the train in Ueno, you have to exit the Skyliner station and walk a few blocks down to another train station, where you catch the Yamanote Line(green stripe, I think) headed in the direction of Uguisudani. And from there, you can choose basically many locations at where to stop throughout most of Tokyo. I recommend finding your hotel, then from there knowing your location.[/quote]

merou information's on top will work, but if you are looking for options that work out better, here they are, I'm in and out of Tokyo a lot and have personaly done each of the items listed below:

I've already covered transportation to Tokyo from Narita airport in other threads on this forum, I'll just repeat them.

First, JR offers a package called Suica & NEX, it costs 3500 yen, it gets you a 1500yen Narita Express ticket (The Narita Express train will get you to most points in Tokyo such as Shinjuku, Ikebukuro etc or outside of Tokyo such as Yokohama, it is fast and comfortable train), the package they also give you a 1500yen SUICA card.

As I mention in the other threads, the SUICA card can be used for virtually all trains in the Kanto area, subways, JR, private rail you name it it works, it saves you time from actually purchasing a ticket each time you ride a train. Thus no need to figure out the fare and purchasing a minimal fare card or doing exit fare.

Next, the Suica card can be used to make purchases at convience stores, vending machines, shopping malls etc anywhere it is accepted. The package for 3500 yen is a great deal and I recommend you get it when coming from Narita Airport.

If you have lots of luggage, you can also take the Airport Limousine bus, it costs about 3000yen, but will take you to the front door of most major hotels, so you don't have to worry about transfer trains or walking through busy stations. Also they give you a one day Tokyo Metro pass to use.

If you are on a budget, you can take the Keisei Skyliner or Keisei Limited Express train.

BUT dont transfer at UENO station. Transfer at NIPPORI station, at Nippori station you can change directly to the JR Yamanote Line much much faster than changing at Keisei ueno to JR Ueno. The Limited express train costs only 1000yen, while the skyliner costs 1920yen, the morning skyliner has a slighty discounted price so its good in the morning as well. JR also runs an hourly rapid train back to narita airport via the Yokosuka, chuo sobu lines, costing around 1200-1300yen. All good options for returning back to Narita Airport if you are on a budget.

There is already a budget thread, in regards to traveling to Japan.

merou

Post by merou » May 20th, '07, 07:53

I never did find out out where to get the Suica card. Where can you buy it?

spacecommand

Post by spacecommand » May 20th, '07, 17:14

Sure you know Tokyo that well? It can be purchased at vending machines at virtually all JR stations in the Kanto area, the PASMO card can be purchased at virtually all the Subway and commuter rail stations in the Kanto area. (PASMO supplies are low at the moment, so you may not be able to find PASMO at local subway stations) Ever since its intergration with Suica/Pasmo two months ago they've been promoting it like crazy with posters, free tissues etc.
When you get a SUICA card the initial payment is 500yen deposit on the card, so if you purchased one for 2000yen, you get 1500yen worth of credits to spend.

If you have a mobile phone and a credit card and bank account many mobile phones are suica/pasmo enabled, so you program your phone to do payment for you as well.

Pasmo/Suica can be used as payment for most convienence stores and kiosks in and around stations, and in major stores like BIC Camera and Yodobashi camera, just to name a few.

If the original poster plans on living in Tokyo for a bit, and riding to and from school every day on the same route, then they should get a Commuter Pass instead of a regular tickets or regular versions of the Suica/Pasmo (depending on where they live), since its cheaper with a commuter pass if you are going the same route every day.

But I digress the Poster is asking if there is anything or what they should do BEFORE they move or visit.

The key thing is to have your Passport, and any appropriate visas you may need. Since you can't move over and simply start working or going to school under a normal tourist/temporary visitor status. Read up on Japanese culture, traditions etc. Basic things like that should be a start.

merou

Post by merou » May 21st, '07, 02:14

//Sure you know Tokyo that well?//
I try my best, yeah, never really found interest in suica card. Handy as it is.

spacecommand

Post by spacecommand » May 21st, '07, 02:45

No interest in the card?

Ever since its intergration with PASMO, it is the greatest thing since sliced bread to come to the mobility of people in the entire kanto region. No more need to purchase seperate tickets each time you ride a different train company, saves time, touch and go, worry free.

I used it for everything from purchasing small snacks at Newsdays to purchasing camera stuff at Yodobashi camera. If you have mobile suica you can prebook tickets for Toho theatres, show up at theatre, wave your phone over the sensor and get your ticket printed, fast and easy.

If you get the card registered, its safer than carrying cash, lose it, report it, get a new card with all your money credit restored.

bluemoo21

Post by bluemoo21 » May 21st, '07, 06:38

thnk u both soo much!!