mkv/ogm files?

Read the FAQ in here first then post your questions here if it doesn't help you.
wallflower

mkv/ogm files?

Post by wallflower » May 9th, '07, 03:04

I have a question regarding mkv and ogm files -- it seems like the subtitles aren't hardsubbed in it.. Although I'm not 100% because it's not like softsubs where it has a seperate file. But I can tell it's softsubbed due to the font - I can change it manually on my player. Well, anyway, for both of those files, how do you remove the subtitles when converting it to, say, an avi?

daelite

Post by daelite » May 9th, '07, 03:11

If they subtitles are not hardsubbed in, I would think you could just turn them off and then copy it. If you're playing a mkv/ogm in VideoLan (VLC) there's an option under the video tab to turn subtitles on and off.
...or did you already try that?

InTr4nceWeTrust
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by InTr4nceWeTrust » May 9th, '07, 03:26

using virtualdubmod, go to streams and you'll see that the subtitles are in there.

alternatively, there are OGM splitters on videohelp.com that will demux(separate) the file into video, audio, and i THINK srt.

you should be able to do a direct copy w/o any conversion. however, i think the audio will be in OGM or something so you might want to convert it to mp3 or something.

it's been a while since i've touched virtualdub, so all of this is being pulled from the back of my head. you may have to do some tinkering beyond what i've mentioned.

wallflower

Post by wallflower » May 11th, '07, 23:38

Thanks a bunch. Your memory is quite reliable. :lol

Hey, adding on to my question, and I hope you don't mind, I wanted to know how to make it convert WITH sound. I'm basically making a fanvid, so no sound needed, but there's a part where she talks and I enable sound. However, I have a subsitute way on how to get sound there, but it's a lot of work, so I was wondering if there's a shortcut by just converting w/ sound.
Oh, and, can vdub convert in batches?

InTr4nceWeTrust
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by InTr4nceWeTrust » May 12th, '07, 15:08

lol, glad my memory still serves me well. you mean convert the OGM audio to MP3 from within virtualdub? i think you right click the audio stream, set it to full conversion or something, and change the compression to what you want. i dont remember it being able to use the LAME mp3 codec that a lot of people use, though. if it doesnt, rip the audio and convert it with some other program...audacity i think is the popular free audio program. if you convert the audio before the video conversion, add the stream in. if you convert the audio after you already did your video converion, just open the video, add the audio stream, set both to direct stream copy, and it'll just mux them together with no additional encoding. should take like 10 seconds to depending on your system.

let's hope my memory was still good when i wrote this reply ^_~

Masumi-chan

Post by Masumi-chan » Jun 1st, '08, 18:08

is their a way to convert mkv & ogm files to an avi using virtualDub 1.4?

arabian

Post by arabian » Jun 2nd, '08, 06:57

Masumi-chan wrote:is their a way to convert mkv & ogm files to an avi using virtualDub 1.4?
Din't try to convert MKV or OGM but I usually used this way to convert files.. try it it may works with u..
Open the file u want to convert in Virtualdub >> Video >> comperssion >> then choose the codec ( Xvid , x264 , Divx) then when u choose the codec there is a button ( configuration) here u need to fill more info about the file to minimize the output but if u don't know what to fill in just choose the codec >> ok & go to file >> save as avi .. It'll take a time depend on the codec u have been choosen :-)

Masumi-chan

Post by Masumi-chan » Jun 2nd, '08, 14:47

the mkv file will not open in virtualDub 1.4 it says "cannot detect file type"

arabian

Post by arabian » Jun 2nd, '08, 15:38

Masumi-chan wrote:the mkv file will not open in virtualDub 1.4 it says "cannot detect file type"
check this site then cuz I'm only into avi files.. http://www.videohelp.com/

Airhead

Post by Airhead » Jun 2nd, '08, 15:49

split the .mkv with MKVEXtractGUI (mkvtoolnix) (u get video, audio and sometimes subtitle streams) and remux them in any way you want

:-)

atskv9

Post by atskv9 » Jun 2nd, '08, 20:45

^^what he said :-)

you can get that tool here: http://www.matroska.org/downloads/windows.html

Not sure but I don't think VirtualDub supports MKV filetypes based on your finding but VirtualDubMOD does, which you can also download at that link above. With it you can view the streams audio/subtitles within the file but as it says on the website, newer version of MKV files aren't supported as VirtualDub/VirtualDubMOD aren't being worked on anymore.