what is the best laptop??

Discuss technical and geeky things here.
outcast

what is the best laptop??

Post by outcast » May 4th, '07, 15:58

I'm kinda confused & I don't know what 2 get, I'm saving money 2 buy a new laptop, & there r million brands like, hp, LG, IBM, what is the best one of them all??
I'm hearing, hp is the best, don't know what 2 get???
I need ur opinions & thnx in advance.

arabian

Post by arabian » May 4th, '07, 16:07

Welcome dear outcast ..
well, i saved money & by the end of 2006 I bought new HP laptop ..
I think it's the best everyone tell me that..

outcast

Post by outcast » May 6th, '07, 13:32

تسلميلي يا
arabian
يا بعدهم كلهم على راسي والله arabianيا قلبي
امووووووواح

bakan3ko

Re: what is the best laptop??

Post by bakan3ko » May 6th, '07, 13:51

outcast wrote:Image
I'm kinda confused & I don't know what 2 get, I'm saving money 2 buy a new laptop, & there r million brands like, hp, LG, IBM, what is the best one of them all??
I'm hearing, hp is the best, don't know what 2 get???
I need ur opinions & thnx in advance.

Sony if you have the money. And, this also depends on the use of the laptop (i.e. ultra-portable, portable, desktop replacement, gaming...)

enkhee

Post by enkhee » May 6th, '07, 13:57

i can swear by Apple. i love my G4.

rxvien

Post by rxvien » May 6th, '07, 13:58

hiya! hmm.. i kinda like Gateway. My brother has a Toshiba and it's ok, his girlfriend has the HP but she doesn't like hers-she says it runs too slow, but I'm guessing it might be the specs on her notebook. I have a Dell and it's ok, I'm neutral about it.. My friend has a Gateway and I actualy prefer that one the best. Though, hers is kinda old, it's still kicking. Hers has been thru a lot, bangs here and there and it's still kicking. so hope this helps. good luck on finding one that suits you..

damnsel

Post by damnsel » May 6th, '07, 14:22

For me the best laptop would be a Toshiba. They lasts longer than anything I've ever had ... maybe because of the restore cd that comes along with it. But I think Gateway is also a good choice, it's actually my 2nd choice before deciding to purchase a Toshiba tablet pc.

arabian

Post by arabian » May 6th, '07, 14:43

outcast..

just for you dear :wub: I ask some member of my family who have experience about LP they told me that the best is ( HP & Toshiba) but don't ever buy Dell it's the worest as they said.. :salut:

aliensporebomb

Thoughts...

Post by aliensporebomb » May 6th, '07, 14:52

I work as a system administrator where I encounter a large amount of computers
just in my daily work.

If you're not going to get a Mac (arguably the best computer since it can run
Windows as well as MacOS and build quality is usually very good) there's a
few options. The Macbooks start at just over $1000.

IBM (Lenovo) makes a laptop called a T-60 that's very good. The IBM
(Lenovo) machines have a tough, almost rubbery feeling durable outer
casing. Mine bounces around in the back of my car five days a week
as I travel to many of my companys' offices and it hasn't gone down yet.
The T60 has the Core2Duo processor (fast but doesn't use as much
electrical power and doesn't generate as much heat - important if you
are using a laptop).

Sony's are beautiful but they are expensive and I've heard the hinges
where the screen opens are somewhat delicate. Some of the keyboards
on these are a little on the small side too.

The latest HP's look okay but the ones that came out before this seemed
like they were imitating Dell - thick and bulky, probably because they had
the overly hot and power consumptive Pentium 4 chip in it. Some of the
newer HP's that are labeled with the Compaq brand look interesting too.

I've found the Toshiba machines to be okay, nothing special but they
seem to get the job done. Same with the Dells although some of the Dells
are really clunky with thick cases and seem overly heavy - I'm not sure
why they made the design decision to do that unless they also were using
older hotter Pentium 4's and they needed the space for air movement.

As far as Gateway, my co-worker B worked for them and he had
some interesting stories - apparently he felt that some of their older
hardware was better than what they make now - but I haven't seen a
recent Gateway in at least a year.

My advice? Avoid Pentium 4 chips for laptops!

I'd look at anything with a Core2Duo in it versus CoreDuo or any of the
older processors like Pentium M or 4 because the M and 4 chip (and the
D for the desktop line) is getting a bit long in the tooth now. Get at least a
gigabyte of ram, preferably two and maybe wait on Vista - XP Pro should
be sufficient for the moment.

Any more info needed? Let me know! I'd advise a decent video card in
the laptop because to view the dorama stuff you sometimes need some
high powered video processing but you might want to go to a local store
just to see what you have available in your area.

InTr4nceWeTrust
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by InTr4nceWeTrust » May 6th, '07, 15:25

Judging by some of her previous posts...I THINK she'll be more into portability and style. That would mean going for a UMPC. I don't know how if UMPCs are being supplied to UAE yet. There are some sites that will import, though. This site sells most UMPCs that exist...
http://www.dynamism.com/Notebooks/UMPC/ ... roup.shtml
My favorite is the Kohjinsha SA1. Cheap and powerful enough for light usage.
You MAY want the HTC Shift if you want more flash. It's sleeker looking and running Vista (which may be good or bad depending on you). This is more expensive, though. Also, you'll have to wait a little bit for it to go on sale. I think some time this summer. ^_^

bakan3ko

Post by bakan3ko » May 6th, '07, 15:45

InTr4nceWeTrust wrote:Judging by some of her previous posts...I THINK she'll be more into portability and style.
Then, it is a Sony. I used and just bought the Sony SZ-480. This is one light (3.75lbs), powerful (almost desktop replacement has a GF vid card), and sexy (carbon casing w/ silver keys) laptop. Albiet... it cost me 2.2k with taxes and free ship.

If price isnt really a factor, I would go with Sony.The keys are full sized and the key tension is perfect.

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSH ... =computers

FYI, I dont work for Sony. This is just my honest opinion. And, I went through like 6-7 laptops (HP, Acer, Toshiba, Dell) in the last 5 years. I am ghastly perticular... :|

outcast

Post by outcast » May 7th, '07, 10:17

i can swear by Apple. i love my G4.
I guess Apple sound complicated 2 me.
hiya! hmm.. i kinda like Gateway. My brother has a Toshiba and it's ok, his girlfriend has the HP but she doesn't like hers-she says it runs too slow, but I'm guessing it might be the specs on her notebook. I have a Dell and it's ok, I'm neutral about it.. My friend has a Gateway and I actualy prefer that one the best. Though, hers is kinda old, it's still kicking. Hers has been thru a lot, bangs here and there and it's still kicking. so hope this helps. good luck on finding one that suits you..
First time I heard about Gateway!!!
For me the best laptop would be a Toshiba. They lasts longer than anything I've ever had ... maybe because of the restore cd that comes along with it. But I think Gateway is also a good choice, it's actually my 2nd choice before deciding to purchase a Toshiba tablet pc.
I was thinking about Toshiba too!
outcast..

just for you dear I ask some member of my family who have experience about LP they told me that the best is ( HP & Toshiba) but don't ever buy Dell it's the worest as they said.
there r too many advertisements about HP don't know yet, but Toshiba sounds good 2 me.
I work as a system administrator where I encounter a large amount of computers
just in my daily work.

If you're not going to get a Mac (arguably the best computer since it can run
Windows as well as MacOS and build quality is usually very good) there's a
few options. The Macbooks start at just over $1000.

IBM (Lenovo) makes a laptop called a T-60 that's very good. The IBM
(Lenovo) machines have a tough, almost rubbery feeling durable outer
casing. Mine bounces around in the back of my car five days a week
as I travel to many of my companys' offices and it hasn't gone down yet.
The T60 has the Core2Duo processor (fast but doesn't use as much
electrical power and doesn't generate as much heat - important if you
are using a laptop).

Sony's are beautiful but they are expensive and I've heard the hinges
where the screen opens are somewhat delicate. Some of the keyboards
on these are a little on the small side too.

The latest HP's look okay but the ones that came out before this seemed
like they were imitating Dell - thick and bulky, probably because they had
the overly hot and power consumptive Pentium 4 chip in it. Some of the
newer HP's that are labeled with the Compaq brand look interesting too.

I've found the Toshiba machines to be okay, nothing special but they
seem to get the job done. Same with the Dells although some of the Dells
are really clunky with thick cases and seem overly heavy - I'm not sure
why they made the design decision to do that unless they also were using
older hotter Pentium 4's and they needed the space for air movement.

As far as Gateway, my co-worker B worked for them and he had
some interesting stories - apparently he felt that some of their older
hardware was better than what they make now - but I haven't seen a
recent Gateway in at least a year.

My advice? Avoid Pentium 4 chips for laptops!

I'd look at anything with a Core2Duo in it versus CoreDuo or any of the
older processors like Pentium M or 4 because the M and 4 chip (and the
D for the desktop line) is getting a bit long in the tooth now. Get at least a
gigabyte of ram, preferably two and maybe wait on Vista - XP Pro should
be sufficient for the moment.

Any more info needed? Let me know! I'd advise a decent video card in
the laptop because to view the dorama stuff you sometimes need some
high powered video processing but you might want to go to a local store
just to see what you have available in your area.
I already printed what u said, because I need it for my work too, I do take my work's stuff 2 my place 2 get it done, so I guess I will review ur post many time, thnx.
Judging by some of her previous posts...I THINK she'll be more into portability and style. That would mean going for a UMPC. I don't know how if UMPCs are being supplied to UAE yet. There are some sites that will import, though. This site sells most UMPCs that exist...
http://www.dynamism.com/Notebooks/UMPC/ ... roup.shtml
My favorite is the Kohjinsha SA1. Cheap and powerful enough for light usage.
You MAY want the HTC Shift if you want more flash. It's sleeker looking and running Vista (which may be good or bad depending on you). This is more expensive, though. Also, you'll have to wait a little bit for it to go on sale. I think some time this summer. ^_^
Not this time, I need for my collegeue & work stuff, But I don't mind if it was stylish,lo0o0l
InTr4nceWeTrust wrote:
Judging by some of her previous posts...I THINK she'll be more into portability and style.

Then, it is a Sony. I used and just bought the Sony SZ-480. This is one light (3.75lbs), powerful (almost desktop replacement has a GF vid card), and sexy (carbon casing w/ silver keys) laptop. Albiet... it cost me 2.2k with taxes and free ship.

If price isnt really a factor, I would go with Sony.The keys are full sized and the key tension is perfect.

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSH ... =computers

FYI, I dont work for Sony. This is just my honest opinion. And, I went through like 6-7 laptops (HP, Acer, Toshiba, Dell) in the last 5 years. I am ghastly perticular..
mmmm, IF Sony that great I have 2 save more money.

Thnx all for helping me, I do want a good laptop.

Athaclena42
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Athaclena42 » May 7th, '07, 10:34

Avoid Dell notebooks... although their desktops are very nice and are used all over the place. I had two and had nothing but problems with them, although that could have been due to a number of factors.

I have a Toshiba now, with a Pentium M processor in it... I wish I could upgrade, but I have a 4 year in home warranty on it. But, the point is, it still works! I had some problems with the cooling until, but that was probably due to the very hot processor. But the thing hasn't kicked the bucket yet, or even come close. I love Toshiba's restore CD... it just puts everything back to the way it was when the computer was purchased, and the blue "ON" button is a source of constant amusement for me.

raider73

Post by raider73 » May 7th, '07, 16:01

Athaclena42 wrote:Avoid Dell notebooks... although their desktops are very nice and are used all over the place. I had two and had nothing but problems with them, although that could have been due to a number of factors.
I've owned over 10 dell laptops and never ever had a problem w/ them but I never had them for over 6months though. I upgrade every 6 months except for my current E1505 which I've had for a year w/o any problems. I did upgrade the processor to a T7400 from a T2500 though.

Athaclena42 wrote: I have a Toshiba now, with a Pentium M processor in it... I wish I could upgrade, but I have a 4 year in home warranty on it. But, the point is, it still works! I had some problems with the cooling until, but that was probably due to the very hot processor. But the thing hasn't kicked the bucket yet, or even come close. I love Toshiba's restore CD... it just puts everything back to the way it was when the computer was purchased, and the blue "ON" button is a source of constant amusement for me.
IMO, all restore discs suck. Yes, they put everything back to the way it was day one but you really don't want that because all Mfgs. put tons of crappy shareware and other stuff that you don't need on your PC and it slows it down like crazy. This is the reason why those Mac commercials make fun of the PC w/ the bloated fat guy. First thing I do w/ any new PC is run a program called PC de-crappifier and it removes most of the crap from your computer before using. It isn't perfect but what it doesn't remove, I remove manually.

Back to the topic at hand, I would say that Lenovo(i.e IBM) is the best laptop on the market. They aren't fast or flashy but very dependable, that's why most business users use them. I would have gotten a Lenovo but Dell's are so cheap so that's why I have a Dell. My Dell has a 3yr warranty which I think I voided already though by upgrading the processor myself. Oh well.

outcast

Post by outcast » May 7th, '07, 16:57

Avoid Dell notebooks... although their desktops are very nice and are used all over the place. I had two and had nothing but problems with them, although that could have been due to a number of factors.

I have a Toshiba now, with a Pentium M processor in it... I wish I could upgrade, but I have a 4 year in home warranty on it. But, the point is, it still works! I had some problems with the cooling until, but that was probably due to the very hot processor. But the thing hasn't kicked the bucket yet, or even come close. I love Toshiba's restore CD... it just puts everything back to the way it was when the computer was purchased, and the blue "ON" button is a source of constant amusement for me.
About Dell everyone I know was complaining about, so it's not in mind.
Toshiba so far, is better right??

raider73
so u r voting 4 IBM, mmm, right now I consider buying whether Toshiba or IBM.

nak

Post by nak » May 8th, '07, 08:31

I rekon TOSHIBA and ASUS provides quality laptops

outcast

Post by outcast » May 10th, '07, 16:06

my choice is TOSHIBA.
thnx all

dima
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by dima » May 10th, '07, 16:20

outcast wrote:my choice is TOSHIBA.
thnx all
I was just about to suggest Acer if you wanted it cheap and Asus if you wanted it good.

(I must confess to watching all the dramas on a Toshiba, but that was not really my choice)

outcast

Post by outcast » May 11th, '07, 05:00

was just about to suggest Acer if you wanted it cheap and Asus if you wanted it good.

(I must confess to watching all the dramas on a Toshiba, but that was not really my choice)
I'm still saving mony, anyway I'm still confused, I choose TOSHIPA, b/c I don't hear a lot of complaining about it!!!
I told one of my friends who works on computers store, 2 check the best laptop in quality & price, he thinks I should wait 2 make up my choice, I've seen Acer, but Asus not yet, so I will check out Asus 4 sure, thnx for ur comment.

vulcan300
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by vulcan300 » May 11th, '07, 05:23

The Ferrari and Lamborghini models from ACER and ASUS ooze coolness. They're smoking fast and stylish but unfortunately not cheap.. I'd buy the Lamborghini one but I can't convince the little woman that we need a 7th computer :)

J

DMPA

Post by DMPA » May 11th, '07, 05:29

THIS IS ONLY AN OPINION! Well....it all comes down to what ur gunna be using it for. HP IS the best one out there, Apple's good, but not many options are given for it, so it's kinda alone aout there, and sony is well...not offending anyone i hope, but it's crap. It's kind of....all over adn no where. So i would say get an HP if u want it to work, get an Apple to look cool, and a sony....well....to waste some money i guess? once again, THIS IS ONLY AN OPINION! (don't thik i ever spelled it right)

ethidda
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by ethidda » May 11th, '07, 06:24

DMPA wrote:THIS IS ONLY AN OPINION! Well....it all comes down to what ur gunna be using it for. HP IS the best one out there, Apple's good, but not many options are given for it, so it's kinda alone aout there, and sony is well...not offending anyone i hope, but it's crap. It's kind of....all over adn no where. So i would say get an HP if u want it to work, get an Apple to look cool, and a sony....well....to waste some money i guess? once again, THIS IS ONLY AN OPINION! (don't thik i ever spelled it right)
I agree that Sonys look pretty... but don't offer much more functionality for their price. But they are flashy because they only offer high-end laptops. HPs are definitely nice. But for a good deal, sturdiness, and long-lastingness, definitely go with Toshiba. I have only ever had Toshiba and Compaq laptops (before it was bought be HP). The old compaq was very... not sturdy, but my Toshiba's have all lasted me three or four years, with decent functionality. I got rid of my last toshiba because the fan broke and I thought it was good opportunity to upgrade, but I sold it on ebay for about $400. And this was three years after I bought it for $700, and with a broken fan. So, I would say that Toshiba have the best value... almost like if you had a desktop and you just paid money to keep updating the parts. :) My current Toshiba, I bought for $900 with very nice printer and wifi network router included (to use with the wifi card included, of course), and amazon.com still lists it for $999 a year after I bought it. (Although, amazon usually is overpriced on electronics.)

Toshiba laptops have superb value, great sturdiness, and are long lasting. The only complaint I have about my laptop in particular is that it is heavy and the battery doesn't last more than an hour and a half... but then, I bought my laptop as a desktop replacement. And for all of the other features it has, I am more than pleased, and have already convinced three friends/family members to buy toshiba laptops in the past year and they have all been very happy with the decision. :)

wewa

A true recommendation?

Post by wewa » May 11th, '07, 06:40

There are a lot of questions and answers that you need to provide in order to get the right recommendation for you.

So far, all the answers I have read, are mostly personal opinions, and personal ownership favorites. The cannot make those recommendations sincerely, without knowing your needs and requirements.

There is no way I could answer your post without knowing:

- what is your budget? $500, $1k, $2k?
- what are you going to use it for? School? Work? Play?
- what do you own/use now? How do you like it?
- where do you live? country? state? what technology stores are nearby?
- finally, how old are you and what are your hobbies (besides DAddicts)?

I setup and configure Mac & PC & Linux for consumers all week long...and have been doing this since Mac OS 6 and DOS 3.11. :salut: