Are u still listening to (105.1FM) after the racial...

Discuss about anything here that doesn't fit in the other categories. Just don't spam.
Post Reply
freerose
Posts: 38
Joined: Aug 8th, '06, 18:50
Location: nyc

Are u still listening to (105.1FM) after the racial...

Post by freerose » Apr 25th, '07, 19:28

WWPR (105.FM) NYC is making an insensitive racial comedy show against the Asian group, the morning show called “ARE YOU SMARTER THAN AN ASIAN” in the show they make lot of racial comedy about the Asian Group. Most of the comment they make is insult to the Asian-American.
It includes mock Asian Accents and creates a character called Hung LO. I feel they don’t respect the Asian group. It’s an ethnic insult.
I will not listen to this Radio Station anymore!!! Are you still listening to this Radio Station? What is you command on this Radio Station ethnic insult show? Do you think they appropriate to make such show?
If they can make fun of Asian they can make fun of other too! I feel they are one sick radio station!

User avatar
InTr4nceWeTrust
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 715
Joined: Jan 31st, '06, 21:32
Location: San Clemente

Post by InTr4nceWeTrust » Apr 25th, '07, 20:14

I never listened to that station before...but I will now! Race is a major punchline in a lot of comedy. Sometimes it's truthful. Often it's not. Whether or not you take things personally and believe what they say is up to you. I, for one, could care less of what they say. I know who I am. Unless they are going up to real Asians, tricking them into playing the game, then dumbing them up for the radio airing, I have no problem with the show. In fact, I like how their show is based on the stereotype that Asians are smart.

I haven't actually heard the show. Nor do I plan to tune in. It'd be great if somebody had a copy of it and posted it here. Perhaps it's far more offensive than I thought so I'd like to hear it and judge it first hand.
ありません

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 2973
Joined: Feb 3rd, '04, 19:53
Location: missin' hawaii

Post by jholic » Apr 25th, '07, 23:44

although i haven't heard the show myself, i would rather they stereotype asians as smart as opposed to what the two shock jocks on WFNY did:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,268024,00.html
CBS Suspends New York Shock Jocks for Racially Charged Radio Prank
Tuesday , April 24, 2007
AP

NEW YORK —
Still recovering from the Don Imus scandal, CBS Radio suspended two local shock jocks after they twice broadcast a racially charged prank call to employees at a Chinese restaurant.

The hosts of the daily morning show, WFNY-FM's "The Dog House With JV and Elvis," have been suspended indefinitely without pay, CBS Radio spokeswoman Karen Mateo told The New York Times in an e-mail Monday. One of the hosts, Jeff Vandergrift, apologized on Monday's show, she said.

Local chapters of the Organization of Chinese Americans, an advocacy group, released a statement Sunday protesting the segment. By Monday, California state Sen. Leland Yee and others joined the campaign.

In the segment, broadcast on April 5 — a day after the infamous Imus comment on CBS — and again last week, a caller to a Chinese restaurant intersperses an order for takeout with lewd language.

The caller tells one female employee he wants to come to the restaurant to see her naked and refers to a part of her body as "hot, Asian, spicy." The caller also attempts to order "shrimp flied lice."

The show's hosts, Vandergrift and Dan Lay, have been campaigning online and on the air in support of Imus since his firing for calling the Rutgers University women's basketball team "nappy-headed hos" on April 4.

A CBS Radio spokeswoman did not immediately respond to telephone and e-mail messages from The Associated Press late Monday.

Community advocates pushed for CBS to fire the hosts of the show, which can be heard only in the New York City area and on the Internet.

"If they don't fire the DJ's, it will be a double standard," said Vicki Shu Smolin, president of the New York City chapter of the Organization of Chinese Americans.
Use THUMBS UP/DOWN buttons to KEEP or DELETE posts.
If you see SPAM or ABUSE, use the REPORT button.

freerose
Posts: 38
Joined: Aug 8th, '06, 18:50
Location: nyc

Post by freerose » Apr 26th, '07, 19:07

Thank for the link to the story foxnews. I believe we have lot of thing to laugh about but to make a joke at the people try to make a living here and speak little English is not funny. This is not just insult to the Asian group but also insult to all the people here without good education background which tries to make a decent living here. Also to people have handicap speaking.

nikochanr3
Posts: 606
Joined: Apr 22nd, '05, 02:48
Location: NY

Post by nikochanr3 » Apr 26th, '07, 19:12

asians are generally stereotyped as smart. Very strange. i never listened to the station but certainly the fact that they are making racist comments isnt going to motivate me to start.

im also willing to bet if they stopped, not one listener would care or complain.

the degree some people are ignorant is astounding.
Please visit my homepage! :w00t: [url=http://nikochanr3.blogspot.com/[/url]

AIM me at Nikochanr3 if you like. I''''m bored.

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 1034
Joined: Apr 27th, '05, 22:15

Post by pokute » Apr 26th, '07, 19:24

I have to admit to a double standard regarding this sort of thing. It bothers me when it's on TV or the radio, but not in print. I tend to think that when the perpetrator of hate speech has the guts to do it in a "permanent" form, and is therefore plainly willing to live with the consequences, it's not necessarily a bad thing. It's when idiots on TV or radio do it in the mistaken belief that broadcast media are transient that it irks me... It betrays so much stupidity, and it makes me worry about what all the other stupid people are saying when they think only other stupid people are listening.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 2973
Joined: Feb 3rd, '04, 19:53
Location: missin' hawaii

Post by jholic » Apr 27th, '07, 00:50

folks, let me clarify something. there are TWO radio stations in discussion here:

WWPR (105.FM) NYC - which airs "are you smarter than an asian?"

WFNY - where two shock jocks were fired after making bad imitations of how asian people speak.

the linke to the news fox article is about WFNY, not WWPR. i just wanted to make sure you do not get the two mixed up.

personally, i don't see anything wrong with WWPR's show. and in all honesty, although WFNY took it a bit far with their show, i have heard some REALLY funny impersonations from dj's on hawaii radio stations. (btw, i'm asian.)
Use THUMBS UP/DOWN buttons to KEEP or DELETE posts.
If you see SPAM or ABUSE, use the REPORT button.

freerose
Posts: 38
Joined: Aug 8th, '06, 18:50
Location: nyc

Post by freerose » Apr 27th, '07, 20:08

I understand we should be fun about impersonation. But face it some of them is insult and sometime we have to pay the price of it if we don’t tell them they are over the limit of racial impersonating.
Last year we have 2 young Asian American here get beat up by couple kids because they think they will get away with it.
I’m sure if the Topic is “are you smarter than any black people”. I’m sure they will stop the show on the air because they know they will be in trouble right away if they let it on the air.
The person in charge of this show believes Asian will not fight back the right we have in here. He/ she let this show on the air. Other Radio show will follow like WFNY continues making funny on Asian. I feel like we should let them know it’s a limit.
They should make the topic “are you smarter than Asian, White, black and etc” or “are you smarter than American” rather pick on one race only!

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 1034
Joined: Apr 27th, '05, 22:15

Post by pokute » Apr 27th, '07, 20:56

Freerose makes a great point there with the "are you smarter than black people" comparison - Because the institutional racism directed at Asians is much less severe now in the U.S. than it was 30 years ago, some things don't seem so horrible. But I grew up in Culver City, where MGM studios was the employer of 99% of the skilled workforce, and there were NO black OR Asian employees at MGM. That was the case until the mid 1970's. I remember some choice words used to refer to Asians, all of whom were called "nips", and blamed for starting WWII.

User avatar
groink
Posts: 2016
Joined: Dec 8th, '03, 03:58
Location: Pearl City, Hawaii

Post by groink » Apr 27th, '07, 22:28

jholic wrote:i have heard some REALLY funny impersonations from dj's on hawaii radio stations. (btw, i'm asian.)
You got that right! I was brought up listening to Frank DeLima.

I was raised to believe that if someone insults you because of race, don't take offense of the comments. Being defensive about it shows that he's not confident about his race or culture. If the person making the insults is wrong, then there's nothing to be angry about.

Being Filipino, the many jokes about Filipinos made by Frank DeLima are actually hilarious! I won't go into the specifics, but generally speaking people within my family constantly crack jokes about Filipinos. That's basically how Filipinos in Hawaii handle themselves.

On the other hand, the three Eastern Asian races - Japanese, Chinese and Korean, do not under ANY circumstances crack jokes about themselves. Nor do they condone anyone else doing the same. I just don't understand why. Again, being raised in Hawaii, we were all raised by ethnic jokes because of Frank, Andy Bumatai, Rap Replinger, Bugga Bugga, etc. IMHO, Hawaii comedians putting the racial jokes out there early on actually helped the races within Hawaii cope with each other. If each ethnic group within a community understands the things that other outside think of - such as Chinese people being cheap, Korean women owning hostess bars, or Japanese always carrying around a camera and a PANAM bag, then they should learn how to handle these racial comments.

Check out my YouTube video of Bugga Bugga picking fun of the Japanese and the Samoans...



--- groink

User avatar
gotfryrice
Posts: 29
Joined: Sep 7th, '06, 20:34
Location: United of the States

Post by gotfryrice » Apr 27th, '07, 23:10

wow. i'm really surprise that not many asians are as angry about it as i think that they should. for those who is just laughing along and not standing up for yourself and your people, that's really pathetic. you're just playing the stereotype of the submissive asian type of people who will always get treated like ****. first of all, if you call an asian people a "ch*nk, n*p, etc" then you're just a comedian. if you call a black person a "n*gga", then you are a horrible and racist person that society looks down upon. i'm so sick of this society, where it always focus on black and white issue. don't get we wrong, i'm in no way racist, as a matter of fact, i'm just a depressed minority. black people constantly victimize themselves, even though the are less likely to feel racism anymore. they get special treatment because they are aggressive and they can complain. if you're a doctor and only has one pain reliever, would you give it to the quiet and tolerant patient, or would you give it to the patient who's bitching to get you sue? that's my point. i'm just sick of it. we are so divided, it's not even funny. if we stand up for our self and our asian race, doesnt matter you are chinese, filipino or mongolian, then people will actually see that you do have feelings. and one last thing, i do have a sense of humor. i will laugh when an asian comedian jokes out his FOBBY mother. but i find it VERY insulting when a non-Asian make jokes about slanty eyes.
Image
THANKS Kamui6!!!!

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 2973
Joined: Feb 3rd, '04, 19:53
Location: missin' hawaii

Post by jholic » Apr 28th, '07, 00:08

gotfryrice: i understand the point you're trying to make, but i still edited some of the slurs on your post to avoid other members.
Use THUMBS UP/DOWN buttons to KEEP or DELETE posts.
If you see SPAM or ABUSE, use the REPORT button.

User avatar
InTr4nceWeTrust
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 715
Joined: Jan 31st, '06, 21:32
Location: San Clemente

Post by InTr4nceWeTrust » Apr 28th, '07, 00:15

gotfryrice, first, keep your language clean. We get a lot of people that are well underage in here (something tells me you're not quite 18 either). Second, what makes it any better to hear an Asian joke out of an Asian person than a white guy telling the same joke? That's so hypocritical. I'm sick and tired of hearing people complain about white guys making jokes on other ethnicities, yet I have yet to hear a single OUNCE of protest against a minority spitting racist remarks about white people. And how is laughing along pathetic? Did the guy say "I hate Asians!"? No, he told a joke. Probably the same joke I've told my Asian friends several times. From what I've heard about this show so far, they haven't once talked down on Asians. In fact, they've stereotyped us as SMART. Oh no? They think we're smart? How horrible. -_- The "worst" thing they've done is make fun of how many Asians speak English. Guess what? There's a lot of Asians that don't speak English well. It's a semi-true joke. Even Hello! Morning has made fun of the way they try to speak English. They did a segment on trying to speak English. The white host, Thane Camus, constantly made fun of their English. "Oh my! Hand in cheese?!" Quite possibly, even your NAME, gotfryrice, makes fun of how Asians talk. If it's not a joke, then it just pushes further my point that a lot of Asians don't speak English well. All in all, they're just jokes. That's ALL they are. It's not being pathetic and following the stereotypical submissive Asian. It's called being secure. And for some, it's being able to laugh at one's self.
ありません

omoiyou
Posts: 67
Joined: Nov 26th, '06, 09:34

Post by omoiyou » Apr 28th, '07, 01:05

its ok if you are a comedian and do it...like russell peters, but he makes fun of everyone so it's not just targeting one group particularly. In this case we need someone like an asian al sharpton to challenge this and bring them under heavy fire. Also about east asians, these 3 countries are really based on Confucious teachings of respect, kindness, and reciprocity. Confucious stressed that you must treat other people as you want others to treat you. Confucious' ideas makes great moral sense, which this country seem to lack somewhat.

ravingmatt
Posts: 3
Joined: Apr 27th, '07, 06:32

Post by ravingmatt » Apr 28th, '07, 01:48

i got too tired to read all the posting but ... btw im asian.

WWPR (105.FM) NYC - which airs "are you smarter than an asian?"
(this is already funny, just reading the title)

WFNY - where two shock jocks were fired after making bad imitations of how asian people speak.
(this reminds me of dat phan and rusell peters... try youtube if ya dont know what i mean)

Really... .dont take things too seriously, just as InTr4nceWeTrust said they didnt say "i hate asians", if they did say something like that n actually continue making jokes... it be a problem.

freerose, they pick asians in particular, because we are getting smarter =D, just think of it that way.... not saying anyone is not up to par with us.

gotfryrice... ya need to chill, n im asian too, dont get me wrong, i would of beat the guy up making fun of me but yeah .. and us asians are agressive n we complain too, ... well i am and so are my friends...maybe cuz i live in cali with quite a large asian community, but we still get hated on. also i already notice the asians or some other ethnicity fighting back, "WFNY - where two shock jocks were fired after making bad imitations of how asian people speak.". And i dont get what ur tyring to get at about the doctor, but if i was a doctor, i'll let the person "b****ing" at me and treatens to sue me, stay in pain.

overall, i think some of you guys are really exaggerating. Maybe, if i was in your shoes, where u live, etc... i might hate too.

t2osweet
Posts: 8
Joined: Jan 23rd, '05, 14:57
Location: ny

Post by t2osweet » Apr 28th, '07, 02:19

racism will always be there for the ignorant people. Don't worry too much about it, but still its might effects little kids out there. Anyways i've been around other races in my high school, i was the only asian student in my highschool, but still i learn there's really not much difference between us all. i'm from new york by the ways,

User avatar
gotfryrice
Posts: 29
Joined: Sep 7th, '06, 20:34
Location: United of the States

Post by gotfryrice » Apr 28th, '07, 02:28

i do apologize for my language (sorry kids!)

ok, you made a point, but not a very good one. when i said non-Asian, you automatically assume white. and before i start, i do get what you mean when white people are constantly made fun of. i have white, black, green, blue friends. i know how messed up the media is sometimes and how the majority are now constantly mocked of.
and Yes, laughing alot when someone is being made fun of is pathetic. so when someone is being made fun of being Asian, such as the act of pulling their eye back and singing "Ching Chong Chong," do you just laugh along? Ok, you sure are secure of yourself.
Stereotypes are usually true, that is why it is so hurtful. but does an individual have to suffer from a generalization of a group? ok, about the "OH you're smart" stereotype. do you actually have how many not "genius" students who are humiliated because they don't live up to their "model minority" status? some are so depressed that they commit suicide? and what about how Asian guys are made fun of for their small thing (sorry kid!)?

and do you know how many time i get the "Oh you speak English good!" praise everytime I go vacation? yeah, you probably lived in a comfort zone, of Asian friends who make fun of themselves. I have no problem with that. However it's different if a person of race A makes fun of race B. Just like how you will be racist if you call a Black person the N Word (i keep it clean now), and you won't be if you're Black, or you're really tight with your homie.
Last edited by gotfryrice on Apr 28th, '07, 02:38, edited 1 time in total.
Image
THANKS Kamui6!!!!

User avatar
gotfryrice
Posts: 29
Joined: Sep 7th, '06, 20:34
Location: United of the States

Post by gotfryrice » Apr 28th, '07, 02:36

I might exaggerated and used many hyperboles, but in this modern society of ours, we gotta be aggressive to be heard. the submissive will be unheard....like always. Martin Luther King Jr.'s technique for equal rights was very effective. However, without the violent tactics of Malcolm X, it probably never reach the front page. but i know where you're all coming from (i seem like an ANGRY ASIAN WOMAN), but i live in a nice environment, and i'm just speaking from experience. I also want the issue to be heard.
I dont listen to the FM btw, but it's just so easily to hear people on the radio or TV or the movie like Crash, that makes fun of Asian. and I'm just stating my position and standing up for what I believe in.
Image
THANKS Kamui6!!!!

t2osweet
Posts: 8
Joined: Jan 23rd, '05, 14:57
Location: ny

Post by t2osweet » Apr 28th, '07, 02:45

hmm.. i mean its just depends on the situations really, since they used the media to tell racist jokes, yes alot of people will get mad. but i mean if you know the person like personally it will really do seem like its just a joke. I have black friends, and hispanic, i say the N words to greets them, like what's up N-words, and stuff like that, and with them of course its not that offending i mean even that's how they greet me. If you listen to hip hop, they all each other the N-word. Racist joke is just based on how other people see it, on how ignorant they are about a joke, I mean its not really just racism its discrimination, like what that guy in the fox news was trying to say, that we shouldn't get offended, Its just a joke and a part of freedom of speech. Like trying to stop it, means trying to stop freedom of speech. Which we really can't. I mean, Ok. let look at racist joke, let nots only look at joke being made at asian. Look at this joke that asian made... its can offend black people, but ithey're not complaining because its just a joke.

watch this


its a racist joke. so calm down people racism is everywhere well lets say discrimination is everywhere, alot of people is made fun of, not by their races but how they look, their weight and all those stuff. Still we won't learn from this if there was no racism, there has to be discrimination in order to learn how to handlie it. Its goes for anything in this world. there has to be injustice to learn how to make justice, there has to be a poision to make an antidote for the poison you get me. Just say how you feel about it, but don't get too mad and stuff. thats just how our world is. its not perfect, its not heaven we're living in guys,.

t2osweet
Posts: 8
Joined: Jan 23rd, '05, 14:57
Location: ny

Post by t2osweet » Apr 28th, '07, 02:52

hmm i think all the races in america has equal rights already there's no laws stating that we can't vote, we can't work, we can sit, eat, drink with other races... what equal rights are you talking about.. those rights you guys just have to learn how to used it. you don't have to starts fights, justices now is getting a little more better, its not perfect but its not as bad as it used to be. As long as you are legal here in the states we all have equal rights and we're all protected legally, So like i said, its good but don't be too ignorants. the thing thats bothers all remember its was meant to be a joke, but just a really bad joke. thats all. its not a life threatening joke it don't show hatred or anything saying they wish all asian would dissappear from this world.

divab
Posts: 23
Joined: Mar 26th, '07, 04:32
Location: USA

Post by divab » Apr 28th, '07, 02:59

hmm, just from reading the post, i would like to say do not let words get the best of you, but as a whole(community rise) from a correct stand point, the show is underlying racism, so many are confused on how they should feel, and thats the way society wants u to feel. we just had the big VT thing happen, so instead of blantly separating the asians and get fired they do it in a way of a joke.i say be offended, even if the topic is "are you smarter than an asian" the real joke is, they are so smart...example (what the hell happened at VT.) i'm mixed but when looked at im black. as a whole america is broken, and the country is very black and white, the only other race making a voice for theirselves are the hispanics/mexicans etc. stereotypically, all races have their catorgories they fit into...whether u laugh this off or not, VT added one more stereotype in america's mind, sad to think as far as we have come, we are still ignorant in ways...and for the first time in a very long time the issue isn't black and white...that show that is airing is a comic relief to the world of america.

User avatar
gotfryrice
Posts: 29
Joined: Sep 7th, '06, 20:34
Location: United of the States

Post by gotfryrice » Apr 28th, '07, 03:04

I actually spend 6 mins to watch that video. racist jokes are funny, but what about the people who are being made fun of? we are laughing at their expense. i know we're living no heaven here. to be honest with you, i found it funny. but if others complain about it, because they are offended by it, i would respect that too. but this was a parody. i dont really see any racist comment there (no i'm not blind or deaf). the N word is not even used in an insulting way.
Image
THANKS Kamui6!!!!

t2osweet
Posts: 8
Joined: Jan 23rd, '05, 14:57
Location: ny

Post by t2osweet » Apr 28th, '07, 03:14

well like i said, it depends on the situations, in media if they said something discriminating blame the media, they'd apologize or whatever. If its in real life, it depends, you will know if its offensive or not, but then if its offensive you know you have justice and law on your side anyways. it really just depends on the situation. I mean i'm just saying justice is not as bad as it was before. I mean before, martin luther king didn't do what he did to protect black people its to protect all people of all races thats what i always think. I mean, we all drink in the same water fountain, we all used the same transits, we all use the same toilets and so on and so on. I understand, don't blame the people its just the media, you know how they work, they want to attract attention, they want to entertain people and all those stuff. its how THEY MAKE MONEY... but racism and discrimination in real life, for me here in the U.S. we have laws to protect ourselves with.

User avatar
BxLibra
Posts: 280
Joined: Jan 27th, '07, 22:55
Location: Bronx, New York City and Albany, New York

Post by BxLibra » Apr 28th, '07, 03:47

well i've been following this post and all i'm gonna say is i'm still gonna listen to the station 105.1. people just need to chill, everyone says a racist comment here or there for amusement and everyone laughs, asians do it about blacks i mean just look at hana yori dango 2 where tsukushi is in timesquare nyc and the "black guy" steals her bag and the "black guys" are the one who want to pick pocket her, and also blacks do it about asians and whites whites do it about blacks and asians its gonna happen no matter what so i just think people need to chill i mean damn the stereotype about asians being smart like come on is that a bad thing its actually better than other stereotypes about other races. :glare:
*Creds to AshanishiLynn for the hot Avatar and kwuintessence for the sexy Siggy!!!!
Image

User avatar
InTr4nceWeTrust
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 715
Joined: Jan 31st, '06, 21:32
Location: San Clemente

Post by InTr4nceWeTrust » Apr 28th, '07, 03:49

gotfryrice wrote:...

...do you actually have how many not "genius" students who are humiliated because they don't live up to their "model minority" status?...

...
lol, you just reminded me of a Bobby Lee's Mad TV sketchs about the "average asian"





I try my hardest not to take things to heart. Or I'll end up having committed suicide like you stated some have done. Everybody has things they're made fun of for. Everybody gets stereotyped. If you can't handle those things, then good luck...with everything...really...
ありません

User avatar
BxLibra
Posts: 280
Joined: Jan 27th, '07, 22:55
Location: Bronx, New York City and Albany, New York

Post by BxLibra » Apr 28th, '07, 04:11

InTr4nceWeTrust wrote:
gotfryrice wrote:...

...do you actually have how many not "genius" students who are humiliated because they don't live up to their "model minority" status?...

...
lol, you just reminded me of a Bobby Lee's Mad TV sketchs about the "average asian"





I try my hardest not to take things to heart. Or I'll end up having committed suicide like you stated some have done. Everybody has things they're made fun of for. Everybody gets stereotyped. If you can't handle those things, then good luck...with everything...really...
also reminds me of the ms swan skit they do
*Creds to AshanishiLynn for the hot Avatar and kwuintessence for the sexy Siggy!!!!
Image

User avatar
InTr4nceWeTrust
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 715
Joined: Jan 31st, '06, 21:32
Location: San Clemente

Post by InTr4nceWeTrust » Apr 28th, '07, 04:24

<3 Ms. Swan
ありません

User avatar
gotfryrice
Posts: 29
Joined: Sep 7th, '06, 20:34
Location: United of the States

Post by gotfryrice » Apr 28th, '07, 04:47

we're talking about stereotyping in American, not in S.Korea or Iceland. I'm sure many other nations make fun of Americans (etc. we're all fat, we love McD, we're lazy, etc). But really my primary point is to show the stereotyping of Asian that have gone unnotice. My fav movie, Breakfast at Tiffany, had a white guy playing a female japanese landlord. Sixteen Candles, where this funny sounding name guy was all FOBBY. In the recent movie Crash, everyone is so focus on black/white racial issue. the movie was to counter racism, but in the end, it shows Asian as illegal immigrants being saved by Ludacris. They even receive a Grammy for best movie or something like that. it's pretty ludicrous. If you havent seen this movie, then you won't know what I'm talking about. but of course, I know stereotyping won't go away, but we need to inform people that we do have ears and hearts.I dont think I'm too radical at all.
Last edited by gotfryrice on Apr 29th, '07, 02:24, edited 2 times in total.
Image
THANKS Kamui6!!!!

User avatar
gotfryrice
Posts: 29
Joined: Sep 7th, '06, 20:34
Location: United of the States

Post by gotfryrice » Apr 28th, '07, 04:53

I need to go do my research paper :unsure:
Last edited by gotfryrice on Apr 29th, '07, 02:25, edited 1 time in total.
Image
THANKS Kamui6!!!!

nophankh
Posts: 222
Joined: Jan 9th, '07, 08:11
Location: PA, US

Post by nophankh » Apr 28th, '07, 04:55

Since we are on the topic of race and bobby lee...here is a private video of him talking with joe rogan (stupid fear factor guy) about race and how bobby lee admits he's a freaking twinkie by stating that he prefers white girls over asian girls. Of course, I don't really mine that part, everyone has preferences...but then the midget goes on talking about how there is a hierarchy among asians...koreans are the "good" asians while Vietnamese are "jungle" asians equivalent to being animals. Saying with sarcasm...don't you just love this guy!!!

Here is a youtube link to video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3TO6CHQ71U

User avatar
gotfryrice
Posts: 29
Joined: Sep 7th, '06, 20:34
Location: United of the States

Post by gotfryrice » Apr 28th, '07, 05:08

ahh that's just great. not only do we have stereotyping from others, we have racism among our own ethnic group. look at those guys talk about Asian girls. makes me so angryyy!!! arghh. I would go on talking about this, but i think it's better if you go to this link and see me arguing with this lonley and sad guy that i feel sorry for.

i'm friggyjiggy by the way:



and the sad guy is tuscanito or something like that

[don't worry, i dont waste my time like this. i was doing a research paper and this only helps me] :thumright:
Image
THANKS Kamui6!!!!

girl4anime
Posts: 9
Joined: Jan 17th, '07, 06:08
Location: USA

Post by girl4anime » Apr 28th, '07, 05:26

gotfryrice wrote: first of all, if you call an asian people a "ch*nk, n*p, etc" then you're just a comedian. if you call a black person a "n*gga", then you are a horrible and racist person that society looks down upon.
Well...the whole issue of sterotyping aside, the reason that ^^^ is true is probably because of the whole white people keeping black people as slaves. I mean, it's pretty obvious that something like that would make it very very bad for a white person to be racist toward black people (more so than anyother race) in this day and age where equal rights have been given to everyone. Nothing like that ever happened to asian people (at least in america), so that's why it isn't that bad (to other people that is, I personally hate all forms of racism.)

t2osweet
Posts: 8
Joined: Jan 23rd, '05, 14:57
Location: ny

Post by t2osweet » Apr 28th, '07, 06:00

hmm did bobby lee grew up here? i mean thats what i was talking about being mixs now a days, especially here in U.S. no matter what race you are, you're american and you pick up how americans are. Anyways is that FM 105.1 really that bad? how is it racial anyways what do you find so offensive in it beside the word asian in the are you smarter than an asian? i never really heard about it. i mean i listen to the station for music while driving but not like the whole day...

User avatar
gotfryrice
Posts: 29
Joined: Sep 7th, '06, 20:34
Location: United of the States

Post by gotfryrice » Apr 28th, '07, 15:21

Well...the whole issue of sterotyping aside, the reason that ^^^ is true is probably because of the whole white people keeping black people as slaves. I mean, it's pretty obvious that something like that would make it very very bad for a white person to be racist toward black people (more so than anyother race) in this day and age where equal rights have been given to everyone. Nothing like that ever happened to asian people (at least in america), so that's why it isn't that bad (to other people that is, I personally hate all forms of racism.)
are you serious? Have you not read about how natives in American hate Chinese American and treated them like crap because they were working low wages? They even passed the Exclusion Act of 1882 which which barred Chinese laborers from entering the United States and denied them naturalization. They made fun of them for being a "yellow peril fever" and sometimes poking fun at them with violent. and don't tell me you havent learn in history about when the Japanese American were put into concentration camp, because they were Japanese during World War II. Honey, what is your history teacher teaching you?????
Image
THANKS Kamui6!!!!

User avatar
gotfryrice
Posts: 29
Joined: Sep 7th, '06, 20:34
Location: United of the States

Post by gotfryrice » Apr 28th, '07, 15:24

everybody always think that Asian never felt any hardship and that we got our money spoon-fed to us.
Last edited by gotfryrice on Apr 29th, '07, 02:27, edited 2 times in total.
Image
THANKS Kamui6!!!!

User avatar
BxLibra
Posts: 280
Joined: Jan 27th, '07, 22:55
Location: Bronx, New York City and Albany, New York

Post by BxLibra » Apr 28th, '07, 16:38

gotfryrice wrote:
t2osweet wrote:hmm did bobby lee grew up here? i mean thats what i was talking about being mixs now a days, especially here in U.S. no matter what race you are, you're american and you pick up how americans are. Anyways is that FM 105.1 really that bad? how is it racial anyways what do you find so offensive in it beside the word asian in the are you smarter than an asian? i never really heard about it. i mean i listen to the station for music while driving but not like the whole day...
I never heard or listen of that radio. I'm just saying how bad stereotyping of Asian is the worst in movies and tv. just watch. we're all Kung Fu fighters, we are submissive and nerdy, we like only math and science, we hang out at the library 24/7, we are usually the villain in the movies, we speaky funny english....i can go on and on.
yeah but u act like its ONLY asians its other races too what about the stereotype of all black people being uneducated gang members or dropouts and what about hispanics always potrayed as the mexican gang banger or the hispanic chick with the thick accent and the big hoop earrings and what about italians always associated with the mafia or the irish always associated as a drunkard GET OVER IT it happens to everyone not just asians and if u want me to drop a lil bit of history too i can also add the Irish and Scotish law in the 1800's not allowing them to work ( with signs everywhere saying Irish need not apply) or what about slavery for african americans and jim crow laws or what about when hispanic immigrant farmers were being paid like 10 cents and hour for 20 hr shifts or what about every arab american being stereotyped now so GIVE IT A REST ASIANS AREN'T THE ONLY ONES BEING STEREOTYPED GET OVER IT :glare:
*Creds to AshanishiLynn for the hot Avatar and kwuintessence for the sexy Siggy!!!!
Image

User avatar
gotfryrice
Posts: 29
Joined: Sep 7th, '06, 20:34
Location: United of the States

Post by gotfryrice » Apr 28th, '07, 17:02

GIVE IT A REST ASIANS AREN'T THE ONLY ONES BEING STEREOTYPED GET OVER IT :glare:
OHH honey, I'm chilled alright. I'll play the stereotype of being submissive and not talk since you want me to. Just to let you know, it's people who are like you, who yell at others for standing up for what they believe in. "OMG, she's such a disgrace. Making all others Asian look belligerent! Jeesh, now others gonna think I'm pugnacious like her. Goshh!"

and...I am getting a little tired replying. Why are you pointing out the obvious that everyone gets stereotype??? Duh, it's America. It's like Stereotype land. If you have read carefully, my point was that Asian are being way much worst stereotype than others. Now there's a difference.
Sayonara
Image
THANKS Kamui6!!!!

User avatar
BxLibra
Posts: 280
Joined: Jan 27th, '07, 22:55
Location: Bronx, New York City and Albany, New York

Post by BxLibra » Apr 28th, '07, 17:08

gotfryrice wrote:
GIVE IT A REST ASIANS AREN'T THE ONLY ONES BEING STEREOTYPED GET OVER IT :glare:
OHH honey, I'm chilled alright. I'll play the stereotype of being submissive and not talk since you want me to. Just to let you know, it's people who are like you, who yell at others for standing up for what they believe in. "OMG, she's such a disgrace. Making all others Asian look belligerent! Jeesh, now others gonna think I'm pugnacious like her. Goshh!"

and...I am getting a little tired replying. Why are you pointing out the obvious that everyone gets stereotype??? Duh, it's America. It's like Stereotype land. If you have read carefully, my point was that Asian are being way much worst stereotype than others. Now there's a difference.
Sayonara
1. i'm not yelling its just i'm tired of seeing the "oh poor lil me i'm asian and i'm getting stereotyped bla bla bla. everyone gets stereotyped so stop playing victim and
2. Asians are not being stereotyped much worse than others i mean come on i'd rather have people say "oh you're black or your hispanic you must be smart" than people going "oh yeah so you black/hispanic right so that means you must be ghetto or you're from new york city right so you ever been mugged, carjacked" or when walking with my baby brother and sister having people think that they are my kids just because teenage pregnancies are high in blacks/hispanics. So sorry sweetie but u aren't getting stereotyped worse than others everyone is getting stereotyped the same so like i said before give it a rest ok buh bye
*Creds to AshanishiLynn for the hot Avatar and kwuintessence for the sexy Siggy!!!!
Image

User avatar
gotfryrice
Posts: 29
Joined: Sep 7th, '06, 20:34
Location: United of the States

Post by gotfryrice » Apr 28th, '07, 17:33

[ i promise this is my last post. i gotta get my paper done lol]
as i learn in AP English Language class, stereotype is never gonna go away. Sure it might die down, but it's a part of human nature to have their own prejudice.
If you look at the media, you got Oprah for blacks, J.Lo for Hispanic and Brangelina for whites. Who do I have? Bruce Lee and William Hung?
Of course there are stereotypes with Hispanic and Black and even White too
so Hispanic are viewed negatively as illegal immigrants or gang banger, etc. Ok, you can counter that with the many great baseball players you have and how immigrants can actually help the economy. Asians...let's see, we have: small penis, prositutes, communists, short, slanty eyes, sneaky villains, etc. What do we have to counter for? Being smart? And taking up jobs? Abuse tolerant? People are just gonna look down on us. Let's make fun of the model minority!
Image
THANKS Kamui6!!!!

User avatar
InTr4nceWeTrust
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 715
Joined: Jan 31st, '06, 21:32
Location: San Clemente

Post by InTr4nceWeTrust » Apr 28th, '07, 17:52

yum, i can just taste the flametastic war coming up.
ありません

User avatar
Kuwa-Jiji
Posts: 130
Joined: Nov 26th, '05, 00:52
Location: Las Vegas
Contact:

Post by Kuwa-Jiji » Apr 28th, '07, 18:38

I think a thread like this is a double standard in itself. This thread has people coming here and stating all their dislikes about people who say racist jokes and whatnot, but all they're doing is doing the exact same things as the people they are complaining about. Yeah, these radio DJs might be insulting whole cultures with the words they say, but you guys are insulting all the people who believe in the freedom of speech. Calling these people idiotic, pathetic, etc etc. You're saying people can't come on a public form of media and say bad things about you, but you can do the same to them? What point are you trying to prove again...? And another double standard I see in this thread, saying it's ok if a comedian or a close friend or a family member makes a racist joke, but someone you know is not ok? A racist joke is a racist joke, no matter who says it. It's biased and hypocritical to think that just because you know the person saying it makes it ok for them to do it when you are getting angry at others for doing the same thing.

Personally, I love racist jokes. I say them, and I take them back equally. I'm one of those poeple that believe in the freedom of speech here in America, but I also know that what I am saying are jokes. And I will say a quote from a comedian that I respect, Carlos Mencia, because he said something that makes a lot of sense to me. "We're not allowed to have feelings anymore. We've come to this place in America where words 'hurt' people. Words don't hurt. I'm not saying go beat someone or place your hands on someone, that is wrong, that is not cool. But I just want to be able to look at some Middle Eatern guy and say "You mother ******! I know you didn't do it but I know you know who did!" (talking about 9/11)" Words are just words people.

User avatar
InTr4nceWeTrust
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 715
Joined: Jan 31st, '06, 21:32
Location: San Clemente

Post by InTr4nceWeTrust » Apr 28th, '07, 18:54

Carlos Mencia is junk. He lies about everything. He's not even Mexican like he says he is. He's like...Jewish or something. He steals all his jokes. He's even stolen a Bill Cosby joke. Carlos Mencia's Mind of Mencia was pulled off the air because of so many people complaining about him. And the middle eastern thing is horrible. It's not even freedom of speech. It's verbal assault. If I was middle eastern and was told that, I'd have leveled the guy. While you may not find words harmful, others may.
ありません

User avatar
Kuwa-Jiji
Posts: 130
Joined: Nov 26th, '05, 00:52
Location: Las Vegas
Contact:

Post by Kuwa-Jiji » Apr 28th, '07, 19:08

Yes, others may find words harmful. All I'm saying is that people should be allowed to say what they want to say, because it's a double standard. While he may be harming people's feeling by saying what he says, other people come out and call him things and say things about him as well. Doesn't that make those people just as guilty, since they are saying things that could (potentially) hurt him? While they may not be the said racist jokes, they are still negative comments about a person.

*edit* And whether or not he stole jokes, or does lie about facts, that doesn't make those words I wrote any less true to me. Oh, and you can be Jewish AND Latino you know. And he's half-mexican half-honduran, but he was born in Honduras, which makes him Honduran, not Mexican. Don't label him Mexican just because he's the same skin color, that's racist. (lol)

User avatar
BxLibra
Posts: 280
Joined: Jan 27th, '07, 22:55
Location: Bronx, New York City and Albany, New York

Post by BxLibra » Apr 28th, '07, 21:05

all i have to say is that people just need to get over it everyone is going to be stereotyped in one way or another. One group isn't going to be stereotyped more than other to me its all just funny i even listen to that radio station (105.1) cause not only do they play the music that i like but the say funny things they dont' only make fun of asians with that show Are you smarter than an Asian but they make jokes of blacks and hispanics and whites too like when they do the Word of the day thing and some of the words have one meaning and they twist it into another way so it sounds like it means a different thing because of how a black or hispanic person would say it (can't really explain it better than that you'd just have to listen to the show in order to get it) but yeah its all in comedy asians will be stereotyped as well as blacks hispanics and so on its kinda like an initiation into our culture like "hey we recognized your race" hehe don't know if that made sense :lol
*Creds to AshanishiLynn for the hot Avatar and kwuintessence for the sexy Siggy!!!!
Image

ravingmatt
Posts: 3
Joined: Apr 27th, '07, 06:32

Post by ravingmatt » Apr 28th, '07, 21:47

hey gotfryrice... if ya still reading... ya can use some of this discussion on your paper, it will help make it lenghty... use our examples, credit it... etc etc. Good luck with the paper!

User avatar
InTr4nceWeTrust
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 715
Joined: Jan 31st, '06, 21:32
Location: San Clemente

Post by InTr4nceWeTrust » Apr 28th, '07, 22:40

Kuwa-Jiji wrote:...

*edit* And whether or not he stole jokes, or does lie about facts, that doesn't make those words I wrote any less true to me. Oh, and you can be Jewish AND Latino you know. And he's half-mexican half-honduran, but he was born in Honduras, which makes him Honduran, not Mexican. Don't label him Mexican just because he's the same skin color, that's racist. (lol)
He's not half Mexican. He's half Honduras and half German. I didn't label him Mexican. He calls himself Mexican (he actually calls himself something more derogatory) which is a lie. The fact that your quote comes from a guy that lies and steals makes it a lot less credible. That's why I mentioned it.
ありません

User avatar
Kuwa-Jiji
Posts: 130
Joined: Nov 26th, '05, 00:52
Location: Las Vegas
Contact:

Post by Kuwa-Jiji » Apr 28th, '07, 23:06

InTr4nceWeTrust wrote:
He's not half Mexican. He's half Honduras and half German. I didn't label him Mexican. He calls himself Mexican (he actually calls himself something more derogatory) which is a lie. The fact that your quote comes from a guy that lies and steals makes it a lot less credible. That's why I mentioned it.
An opinion doesn't have to be "credible" it's an opinion. You either agree or you don't... And I've never heard him call himself mexican. A lot of his jokes are based on the fact of how he is called a Mexican when he is actually Honduran. And according to Wikipedia, his mother is Mexican and his Father is Honduran. I don't know where you get your information from. Not to say that you are wrong either. Anyways, this isn't about what comedian I like, I was just saying that what he said is something I think is true and is respectable. I believe in freedom of speech whether it is derrogatory or not.

User avatar
BxLibra
Posts: 280
Joined: Jan 27th, '07, 22:55
Location: Bronx, New York City and Albany, New York

Post by BxLibra » Apr 29th, '07, 00:20

Kuwa-Jiji wrote:
InTr4nceWeTrust wrote:
He's not half Mexican. He's half Honduras and half German. I didn't label him Mexican. He calls himself Mexican (he actually calls himself something more derogatory) which is a lie. The fact that your quote comes from a guy that lies and steals makes it a lot less credible. That's why I mentioned it.
An opinion doesn't have to be "credible" it's an opinion. You either agree or you don't... And I've never heard him call himself mexican. A lot of his jokes are based on the fact of how he is called a Mexican when he is actually Honduran. And according to Wikipedia, his mother is Mexican and his Father is Honduran. I don't know where you get your information from. Not to say that you are wrong either. Anyways, this isn't about what comedian I like, I was just saying that what he said is something I think is true and is respectable. I believe in freedom of speech whether it is derrogatory or not.
ehh you shouldnt' really trust what wikipedia says seeing as it can easily be written by someone with an account on the site so anyone can easily change the information on it as for carlos mencia i don't like him i think he's a fake dave chapelle
*Creds to AshanishiLynn for the hot Avatar and kwuintessence for the sexy Siggy!!!!
Image

User avatar
gotfryrice
Posts: 29
Joined: Sep 7th, '06, 20:34
Location: United of the States

Post by gotfryrice » Apr 29th, '07, 02:12

ravingmatt wrote:hey gotfryrice... if ya still reading... ya can use some of this discussion on your paper, it will help make it lenghty... use our examples, credit it... etc etc. Good luck with the paper!
thank you Matt!
you should see my finish product :D
Image
THANKS Kamui6!!!!

User avatar
gotfryrice
Posts: 29
Joined: Sep 7th, '06, 20:34
Location: United of the States

Post by gotfryrice » Apr 29th, '07, 03:07

oh i found a clip of asian jokes.
tell me if you think it's funny.
it's only 2 min so it should waste much of your time (since you're already reading this lol)

http://www.reelplay.com/adamcarollaclips.html
Image
THANKS Kamui6!!!!

User avatar
groink
Posts: 2016
Joined: Dec 8th, '03, 03:58
Location: Pearl City, Hawaii

Post by groink » Apr 29th, '07, 06:52

gotfryrice wrote:oh i found a clip of asian jokes. tell me if you think it's funny.
For me, this clip IS funny!

For those of you who don't know who Adam Carolla is... He used to run a radio show called "Love Lines", along with a sex and chemical addiction expert (note that I don't mean a sex addition) named Dr. Drew. The two of them were discovered by MTV and eventually ran a TV version of their show for a few years. Adam then went onto Comedy Central and co-hosted a comedy show called "The Man Show".

Listening and watching Adam's shows for over a decade, I'm sure that he doesn't have a single drop of bad blood towards races. So at least for this clip, it is all in fun.

--- groink

quashlo
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 167
Joined: Nov 2nd, '06, 18:04
Location: San Francisco

Post by quashlo » Apr 29th, '07, 07:39

I usually don't get into non-drama related discussions here, but ethnic studies is always so interesting.

I didn't find that clip funny at all... I guess it could be funny for people who've never been around anyone who actually speaks Chinese, but for me, it just seems really, really stupid. I can easily see how someone who was Chinese would easily get offended with this (I am half-Filipino, quarter Chinese, quarter "white"; I identify most with Filipino, however).

Labeling this as racism however, I think boils down to the question of whether or not you consider racial jokes to be a form of racism (or gay jokes as "gay bashing," etc.). I laugh when they crack jokes about black people on Comic View on BET, so it's really hard for me to call this sort of comedy racism. When I listen to clips like this about Asians, I just don't laugh, as if it was a badly-crafted joke.

However, I'm not really convinced that the racism towards Asians is any more severe than the racism towards other minority groups currently or in the past. I think the problem is that there is simply not enough representation of Asians in media that DOESN'T take advantage of some stereotype (the "fob" with broken English, the exotic Asian chick, etc.). Until there are mainstream Asian actors, news anchors, etc. in American media, I'm afraid some Asians will continue to take this as directed racism, even though I'm sure most of the people making these jokes really mean no ill will.

If this bothers you, I say just ignore it... Be proud of your heritage. Life is too short too waste on this, really... Eventually, I think most of this will be a moot issue in the near future. There are so many multiethnic/multiracial children born and the world is globalizing at an incredible rate (just look at all these Asian drama fans outside of Asia)... Eventually, identifying with one "race" or "ethnicity" will become the rarity, not the norm.

User avatar
InTr4nceWeTrust
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 715
Joined: Jan 31st, '06, 21:32
Location: San Clemente

Post by InTr4nceWeTrust » Apr 29th, '07, 17:33

lol Adam Carolla is GOLD
ありません

neofire
Posts: 13
Joined: Dec 29th, '04, 19:51

Post by neofire » Apr 29th, '07, 19:36

I myself have had racial abuses thrown at me many many times in my life, so I understand the anger and to a certain extend, helplessness one can feel.

I am a bit older than many of you guys and gals here, but I'm still addicted to Asian Dramas, so that's why I hang around here. Anyhow, I try to read all these comments with some kind of objectivity, but I have to say this...
I guess some members here might have lived a sheltered life so far, or are just oblivious to the things that go on out there; their comments just seem so naive, sometime to a point of showing great ignorance.

I agree totally with the comment that in the USA, stereotyping is the norm, and name calling is like a form of culture here. If we Asian do not voice our opinion more and stand up and representing ourselves, we'll always be related to Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, and more recently Jet Lee.

In this "over-mediafied" country, you have to have someone in the media limelight who is willing to represent you in order to have a recognizable standing in the society.

User avatar
gotfryrice
Posts: 29
Joined: Sep 7th, '06, 20:34
Location: United of the States

Post by gotfryrice » Apr 29th, '07, 20:06

neofire wrote:I myself have had racial abuses thrown at me many many times in my life, so I understand the anger and to a certain extend, helplessness one can feel.

I am a bit older than many of you guys and gals here, but I'm still addicted to Asian Dramas, so that's why I hang around here. Anyhow, I try to read all these comments with some kind of objectivity, but I have to say this...
I guess some members here might have lived a sheltered life so far, or are just oblivious to the things that go on out there; their comments just seem so naive, sometime to a point of showing great ignorance.

I agree totally with the comment that in the USA, stereotyping is the norm, and name calling is like a form of culture here. If we Asian do not voice our opinion more and stand up and representing ourselves, we'll always be related to Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, and more recently Jet Lee.

In this "over-mediafied" country, you have to have someone in the media limelight who is willing to represent you in order to have a recognizable standing in the society.
True Dat Neofire! You took the word right out of my mouth. As I was researching for my paper, I found this article called "Why I hate Asian" by Kenneth Eng, and Asian American himself. Here's a link:

http://news.asianweek.com/news/view_art ... ef122fc04d

As for my opinion, I can understand where Eng is comming from. However, he took a militant and malicious approach that makes readers repulse. He reminds me of the Cho guy from VA Tech. But he does have a point. let me know what you think
Image
THANKS Kamui6!!!!

nophankh
Posts: 222
Joined: Jan 9th, '07, 08:11
Location: PA, US

Post by nophankh » Apr 29th, '07, 22:58

Kenneth Eng is a moron and he can't even write well.

Not all asians who have british accents are trying to suck up to the white man or stuck up....it's a region thing.
One of my cousin is from England and she has a british accent. Since she moved to PA, she and her brother are losing the British accent. You can still hear it, but it's very faint.

My other cousin is from Australia, and she has an Australian accent. One of my cousin is from France, when she speaks lao, she has a french accent with her lao. It all depends where you grow up.

Hong Kong was controlled by the British for many decades. Of course chinese people in Hong Kong would have the British accent because they were influenced by that culture.

The same thing with acting "black". My little cousin is from GA, she has the southern slang accent, but since she moved up to PA, USA she is beginning to lose that southern accent of hers.

Kenneth Eng is a moron and should just keep to himself. HE needs to do more research before he starts writing. This kind of information can be found in a 100 level college language class (intro to language study). I took that class.

I really don't understand where he is coming from. I get annoyed by the individual, but never by his race. I know a lot of cool/ intelligent black, asians, whites, and latinos. What I'm trying to say is that get rid of the stereotypes and everyone is alike. We are all trying to make it in this big bad world.

User avatar
Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 778
Joined: Mar 26th, '05, 08:35
Location: Seoul, South Korea (whooooza!)

Post by Néa Vanille » Apr 29th, '07, 23:03

Kenneth Eng is entitled to his opinion, just like everyone else. He could, however, dramatically increase his approval ratings if he would a)learn to write eloquently and b)be a little (okay, a lot) more subtle about his racist attitudes.

User avatar
groink
Posts: 2016
Joined: Dec 8th, '03, 03:58
Location: Pearl City, Hawaii

Post by groink » Apr 29th, '07, 23:28

neofire wrote:I agree totally with the comment that in the USA, stereotyping is the norm, and name calling is like a form of culture here. If we Asian do not voice our opinion more and stand up and representing ourselves, we'll always be related to Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, and more recently Jet Lee.
It isn't even racial. It is cultural. Even within America, cultures are made fun of:

- South: Rednecks, having sex with their siblings and cousins. Live in trailer parks and has several TVs stacked on top of each other. NASCAR. Conservatives.

- North: Snobs. Rich. Yankees. Pa-ak the Ca-a. I spend my vacations in the Hamptons.

- West: Spoiled. Liberals. Hollywood. Arnold.

- East L.A.: Immigrants. Illegals. Stay out of Crenshaw.

Do you think any of the people in these cultures complain? They probably do, but they don't make it an event. They are who they are. If Asians REALLY want things to change in America, in all honesty they should just take the heat or get out of the oven. Protesting causes even more hatred towards the culture. People like Al Sharpton isn't helping anyone's situation - it is actually causing even more problems.

--- groink

User avatar
InTr4nceWeTrust
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 715
Joined: Jan 31st, '06, 21:32
Location: San Clemente

Post by InTr4nceWeTrust » Apr 30th, '07, 00:38

groink wrote:...If Asians REALLY want things to change in America, in all honesty they should just take the heat or get out of the oven. Protesting causes even more hatred towards the culture. People like Al Sharpton isn't helping anyone's situation - it is actually causing even more problems.

--- groink
indeed
ありません

neofire
Posts: 13
Joined: Dec 29th, '04, 19:51

Post by neofire » Apr 30th, '07, 01:01

Just making one point at a time, and this is one of them ...

There are circumstances that might make some people having to be where there are, stop the stupid attitude, and start saying something like " if you can heat, get out of the kitchen". Like I mentioned before, some people are lucky that they never have to face the harsh stuff, there are other people who do have to take verbal and mental abuse regularly, and having someone who might stand up for their well being in the media is not the same as starting troubles.

User avatar
InTr4nceWeTrust
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 715
Joined: Jan 31st, '06, 21:32
Location: San Clemente

Post by InTr4nceWeTrust » Apr 30th, '07, 01:11

neofire wrote:Just making one point at a time, and this is one of them ...

There are circumstances that might make some people having to be where there are, stop the stupid attitude, and start saying something like " if you can heat, get out of the kitchen". Like I mentioned before, some people are lucky that they never have to face the harsh stuff, there are other people who do have to take verbal and mental abuse regularly, and having someone who might stand up for their well being in the media is not the same as starting troubles.
¡no comprende!
ありません

neofire
Posts: 13
Joined: Dec 29th, '04, 19:51

Post by neofire » Apr 30th, '07, 01:27

too bad...

GhstDreamer
Posts: 229
Joined: Dec 8th, '03, 01:15
Location: In Kant's Transcendental Mind

Post by GhstDreamer » Apr 30th, '07, 01:37

It's funny how people are naturally so completely egocentric. To simply tell people to "get over it", "everyone gets stereotyped", "who cares", etc. just because you yourself can brush off racial comments or jokes doesn't mean that the person next to you can do the same thing. A person has to be quite self-centred to project his/her own feelings onto another person. It's quite childish to simply believe that if you don't care or if you don't get offended, then others shouldn't either. They have every right to be offended if they want to be - even if you don't believe they should be.

I love jokes about race...one of my favourite jokes that comedians tend to make is how horrible Chinese people are at driving. I get a great kick out of intelligently written jokes."Smarter than an Asian" thing isn't the first of the racially motivated on air jokes directed at Asians. Last year, a DJ was crank calling Asian restaurants in order to make fun of their accents, make "ching chong" sounds, etc. To me these aren't jokes - they're just racist comments and behaviour disguised as jokes. When the intention is to humiliate and belittle that's no longer a joke. It's just bullying.
Image

User avatar
groink
Posts: 2016
Joined: Dec 8th, '03, 03:58
Location: Pearl City, Hawaii

Post by groink » Apr 30th, '07, 02:06

GhstDreamer wrote:It's funny how people are naturally so completely egocentric. To simply tell people to "get over it", "everyone gets stereotyped", "who cares", etc. just because you yourself can brush off racial comments or jokes doesn't mean that the person next to you can do the same thing. A person has to be quite self-centred to project his/her own feelings onto another person. It's quite childish to simply believe that if you don't care or if you don't get offended, then others shouldn't either. They have every right to be offended if they want to be - even if you don't believe they should be.
We have a disagreement here. I say to ignore the racism is a matter of self-restraint. Seeing most Eastern Asians practice some form of Confucianism, Confucius believed that people should handle these sort of things in a sociological manner; "It is not just your society, you are not the society, you are part of society, and the other person is also a part of society." Therefore, the two of you should get together and develop respect for one another. The end result is to achieve a stable, peaceful, harmonious society, while society continues to grow. That's basically the way immigrants who arrived in Hawaii during the early 1900s handled things. If the locals said things like, "Filipino names sound like bells" or "Chinese surnames came from people dropping plates at a Chinese restaurant", then so be it! It is the one making the comments like these that is ignorant. My Filipino grandparents who came to Hawaii in the 1910s had to endure this level of abuse. What they did to counter this was to work harder.

If you throw out self-restraint and start playing the victim card like the NAACP, the Rainbow Coalition and Al Sharpton, you'll ALWAYS be a victim. That's the whole idea behind my platform.

--- groink

freerose
Posts: 38
Joined: Aug 8th, '06, 18:50
Location: nyc

Post by freerose » Apr 30th, '07, 15:56

I’m very proud being Asian American because we try to keep peace among our community.
Between last 30 years we able to improve of quality of living, we get better job than our grand parent generation. We improve our way of speaking. We have been improving our image much better than our grand parent generation or WWII. We hope we be equal right among other race.
Other race recognizes it but they still push Asian American to the limit by continues to make insult joke on our way of speaking or our grand parent way of living.
When Filipino joke about Filipino you know this is only joke, but Filipino go on air and joke about Rutgers Woman Basketball Team. I wonder other race will take it lightly.
If I go on Air in Hong Kong Radio and joke about Filipino is a drudge hostess bar, Filipino is cheap; Filipino is like an Asian Black people.
I wonder all the Filipino in Hong Kong learn and handle those comment well?
Look at Rutgers Woman basketball issue. They know this is not a joke they stand up and tell other to limit they joke. They are nothing wrong to stand up you right and you get respect out of it.
I think Asian American handle the racial comment very well among other race. Also we have to learn from Rutgers Woman Basketball Team stand up our right and get share the American Dream. Get better treatment in Job, in our community here.
Most of the joke about Asian American is laugh at our expense. All I want to say is please put us equal as other race. Name the show “Are you Smarter than an American” do just pick the Asian. I’m sure other race doesn’t speak English well as Asian American too. Learn to respect each other.

freerose
Posts: 38
Joined: Aug 8th, '06, 18:50
Location: nyc

Post by freerose » Apr 30th, '07, 18:59

Most people come here to build American Dream like other race. We hope all race should be equal under our constitution. We learn to be proud of our self as human being to live here. We glad we belong to American which had so many different races. We learn to respect each other plus learn the best from them.
And we do have some trouble maker here think they can insult other race because they think like Hitler. They own race is supreme than other race. If we learn to be like Confucianism all the time, Hitler is gaining more power in his time. Confucianism is not part of American way of life. If we handle these sorts of things in sociological manner, than we have to adjust the sociological manner like the Rutgers Women Basketball Team does. Tell the trouble maker here to cut out the insult and let this society to be humanity and peaceful among each other.
You can joke about you mother inside you own family but you can’t joke about other mother in you next door neighbor and get respect out of it!
I sure the next door neighbor will come out to warm you, I sure you will discontinues the joke about other mother. Because you understand you way of spoke about other is wrong. It’s nothing have to do we’re victim. The whole idea is tell them “You have nothing nice to say to other race don’t say it!”
It’s nothing have to do with Al Shapton way of the handle thing. We hope people think like Hitler to beware we can stand up like the Rutgers Women Basketball Team!
If you think all Filipino support the idea of this joke, than you tell the radio station go on air “Are you smarter than all Filipino”. And make joke each day about Filipino American people living here. I will be the first one to laugh about it because it’s not laugh at my own expense.
I’m sure all Filipino American love respect like all Asian American. I respect all Filipino friends and shouldn’t be joke on the air because they work hard here like rest of us.

User avatar
gotfryrice
Posts: 29
Joined: Sep 7th, '06, 20:34
Location: United of the States

Post by gotfryrice » Apr 30th, '07, 22:29

********************************************************************************************************************************************************
my research paper is done!!!!!!!!!! omg!!!
well, i don't know how to attach a file, so i just uploaded it to myspace...
it's pretty long, but I hope you take the time to read it. YOU WILL UNDERSTAND SO MUCH FROM WHERE I'M COMING FROM!!!!!!!!! I promise you it won't be boring at all.
sadly i don't know how to upload a file to the internet
if anyone knows how to upload a file to the internet, please feel free to teach me.
i do want to share my opinion to my fellow Asian Americans and others.
Image
THANKS Kamui6!!!!

User avatar
gotfryrice
Posts: 29
Joined: Sep 7th, '06, 20:34
Location: United of the States

Post by gotfryrice » Apr 30th, '07, 22:31

InTr4nceWeTrust wrote:
neofire wrote:Just making one point at a time, and this is one of them ...

There are circumstances that might make some people having to be where there are, stop the stupid attitude, and start saying something like " if you can heat, get out of the kitchen". Like I mentioned before, some people are lucky that they never have to face the harsh stuff, there are other people who do have to take verbal and mental abuse regularly, and having someone who might stand up for their well being in the media is not the same as starting troubles.
¡no comprende!
he's saying, just because your life is good, don't tell others to shut up.
you don't want these "protests" to give you a bad name, is it not?
Image
THANKS Kamui6!!!!

girl4anime
Posts: 9
Joined: Jan 17th, '07, 06:08
Location: USA

Post by girl4anime » May 1st, '07, 04:19

gotfryrice wrote:
Well...the whole issue of sterotyping aside, the reason that ^^^ is true is probably because of the whole white people keeping black people as slaves. I mean, it's pretty obvious that something like that would make it very very bad for a white person to be racist toward black people (more so than anyother race) in this day and age where equal rights have been given to everyone. Nothing like that ever happened to asian people (at least in america), so that's why it isn't that bad (to other people that is, I personally hate all forms of racism.)
are you serious? Have you not read about how natives in American hate Chinese American and treated them like crap because they were working low wages? They even passed the Exclusion Act of 1882 which which barred Chinese laborers from entering the United States and denied them naturalization. They made fun of them for being a "yellow peril fever" and sometimes poking fun at them with violent. and don't tell me you havent learn in history about when the Japanese American were put into concentration camp, because they were Japanese during World War II. Honey, what is your history teacher teaching you?????
What you mentioned sounds to me like the USA protecting the country from being too full of immigrants, just plain racism, and stuff that happened during wartime which can't really apply to normal standards. Also, didn't the Asians WANT to come to the USA, as opposed to when the Americans STOLE the Africans from thier own country and forced them to be slaves. Even after slavery was outlawed, there was segregation and they had to fight for thier right to be treated like human beings. You can't honestly be comparing that to how the Asian people were treated. Anyway, all I was saying was that because of the slavery thing, black people take more of an offense to mild racism than other races.

User avatar
ruisu
Posts: 301
Joined: Apr 5th, '06, 21:47
Location: I'm on your screen, taking up your pixels

Post by ruisu » May 1st, '07, 17:57

I don't really listen to the radio, so I never heard the show (when's it on?) but the title of the show is a compliment. Come on, you're a new yorker, asian kids run the specialized schools! Well the big three at least, and they make up 60% of the most competitive one stuy, bx sci & tech).

IMO, the problem with a game called Are You Smarter Than A Black Person, though, is that historically the majority of what's sold as the black image in the US has been of dumb people who fall into gotfryrice's description of blacks. That and the whole three-fifths human thing (whether or not it was for psychological or economic reasons), slavery, segregation, TV Sitcoms, richard proir on stage...I mean the list is endless. Blacks in America have a terrible history, probably on par with the Native Americans. I think people forget how young our country is, and that the Civil Rights movement was only a generation before Generation X. Actually a lot of GenX'ers were kids during it, but I think the majority of us (I was born in the last year of GenX) have a hard time realizing that we were the first generation to grow up in an America that was getting close to what's written in the Constitution and that **** was seriously ****ed up two to three Top-40 genre changes ago.

I know a lot of Asians had it bad too, like most every ethnic group, including some caucaisian ones. But you can't really draw an analogy like that man...

The impressions thing sucks...but it happens to everyone, Irish, Australian, AAs, Scottish (that's a great accent :D ) and it goes beyond race...yuppies, hicks, hillbillies, valley girls, ghetto people. I don't think people should get in trouble for stuff like that.

gotfryrice...i've never heard anyone call someone a c**nk or a n*p (wtf is that?). I've heard like chino or chiNA, but I think that comes from spanish, so it's cool. But a lot of asians I know say nigga and even call me (and each other) that, and I don't even use the word (sober). it's like America's favorite noun if your from the ghetto or just listened to a lil too much hiphop. Now there's another n-word for black people that only racists and intellectuals use. I'm neither so I won't say it. But yo man, besides that, you're stereotyping the hell out of black people with out even noticing. And your name!!!

Well my point to all of this is that some things are just gonna be taboo for a while...like calling people and telling them you wanna see them naked, or calling black chicks nappy headed hoes. but making fun of the way people talk and names like Hung Lo aren't...I bet a lot of guys would like that name.
My best advice would be try not to let this stuff eat you up...and if it really does then do something about it. Hope you feel better man, I know how it feels when you think someone is insulting your ethnicity.

User avatar
QNSpider
Posts: 87
Joined: Feb 4th, '07, 19:43
Location: New York City + Tampa

Post by QNSpider » May 1st, '07, 18:12

It may seem odd, but some my buddies, who are Asian, listen to that comedy show and they find it hilarious. One of my friends said something weird like "when minorities are making fun of other minorities in a "playful" way, it doesn't matter" (For example: Blacks making fun of Asians or Hispanics making fun of Asians). She said, as long as they aren't "Caucasian", than it's okay. I don't know, I guess it's just her. Personally, I think it's unacceptable because I wouldn't want Asians making fun of Spanish heritage or Black heritage.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest