Where can i buy official dvds with english subtitles?

Talk about the culture and entertainment from Nihon.
dayellowjai

Where can i buy official dvds with english subtitles?

Post by dayellowjai » Dec 26th, '05, 22:53

Hey people..does anyone know where i can buy dvds with english subs.. official dvds e.g sekai no chuushin de??

thankszzz

groink

Re: Where can i buy official dvds with english subtitles?

Post by groink » Dec 27th, '05, 00:13

dayellowjai wrote:Hey people..does anyone know where i can buy dvds with english subs.. official dvds e.g sekai no chuushin de??

thankszzz
They don't exist. I'm very serious. That's why we have the fansub movement.

Seghal

Post by Seghal » Dec 27th, '05, 01:43

There are only a few from Malaysia. You can find them at www.sensasian.com
But the subtitles on those DVDs are full of mistakes.

spacecommand

Post by spacecommand » Dec 27th, '05, 04:46

For dramas no.

But for movies *usually yes (usually region 2 encoded), (for example the sekai no chushin movie version) from places like yesasia.

groink

Post by groink » Dec 27th, '05, 04:48

Seghal wrote:There are only a few from Malaysia. You can find them at www.sensasian.com
But the subtitles on those DVDs are full of mistakes.
Keep in mind that they're not OFFICIAL releases, as is what dayellowjai was asking for. Official releases are DVDs that are subbed, manufacturered, and released through the television networks. I dont' know about other Asian countries, but Japan-based TV networks never used an outside Asian company to sub and release their dramas.

CaptainTylor

Post by CaptainTylor » Dec 27th, '05, 05:00

They do exist, though probably not as many as we would like. See that banner on this site from Yesasia.com? They have several Korean series that have English subtitles, including My Lovely Samsoon "English" edition made specifically with English subtitles. I've also seen Super Rookie from another Korean site which also have English subtitles. Yes, from legit sites, not eBay and not from some bootleggers.

For more info, try dvdtalk.com. They have an international forum where members can discuss movies and also retailers here in the U.S. and abroad.
groink wrote:
dayellowjai wrote:Hey people..does anyone know where i can buy dvds with english subs.. official dvds e.g sekai no chuushin de??

thankszzz
They don't exist. I'm very serious. That's why we have the fansub movement.

groink

Post by groink » Dec 27th, '05, 05:13

CaptainTylor wrote:They do exist, though probably not as many as we would like. See that banner on this site from Yesasia.com? They have several Korean series that have English subtitles, including My Lovely Samsoon "English" edition made specifically with English subtitles. I've also seen Super Rookie from another Korean site which also have English subtitles. Yes, from legit sites, not eBay and not from some bootleggers.
I hate to burst your bubble, but you're posting in the JAPANESE ENTERTAINMENT forum, NOT the Korean Entertainment forum. Unless, of course, you're trying to convert the person. Good luck on that!

--- groink :lol

neonkinpatsu
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by neonkinpatsu » Dec 27th, '05, 05:26

CaptainTylor wrote:They do exist, though probably not as many as we would like. See that banner on this site from Yesasia.com? They have several Korean series that have English subtitles, including My Lovely Samsoon "English" edition made specifically with English subtitles. I've also seen Super Rookie from another Korean site which also have English subtitles. Yes, from legit sites, not eBay and not from some bootleggers.

For more info, try dvdtalk.com. They have an international forum where members can discuss movies and also retailers here in the U.S. and abroad.
I think people are getting mixed up here.

Erm, you are posting in the Japanese Ent. forum and you posted a Japanese series/movie as an example. Korea is a whole other country. Korean dramas and movies *do* have quite a few official/legit releases on DVD w/ English subs.

As for Japanese dramas, no official/legit versions have English subs. Japanese movies on DVD do have English subs. Not all of them, but a good chunk.

A handful of DVD sets of Japanese dramas (usually made in Malaysia or HK) do have English subs, but are usually poorly done. Those ARE bootlegs. They are not licensed and the original production company (Japanese TV station) does not profit from the sale nor did they give them permission or the source disks to make them. Some of those exist for some Korean dramas too (Bright Girl, for example). They are boots too.

CaptainTylor

Post by CaptainTylor » Dec 27th, '05, 06:45

It's true that I mentioned some Korean titles, but I believe the original poster was asking where he could find some TV series with English subtitles. I mentioned one retailer and also a website where he could find other retailers that sell Japanese or other Asian TV series. While you may be right in that there may not be any legit Japanese TV series that has English subtitles, that's something that he can search and determine for himself. At least I gave him places where he can look, what have you done? I don't mind being corrected, but save the attitude.
neonkinpatsu wrote: I think people are getting mixed up here.

Erm, you are posting in the Japanese Ent. forum and you posted a Japanese series/movie as an example. Korea is a whole other country. Korean dramas and movies *do* have quite a few official/legit releases on DVD w/ English subs.

As for Japanese dramas, no official/legit versions have English subs. Japanese movies on DVD do have English subs. Not all of them, but a good chunk.

A handful of DVD sets of Japanese dramas (usually made in Malaysia or HK) do have English subs, but are usually poorly done. Those ARE bootlegs. They are not licensed and the original production company (Japanese TV station) does not profit from the sale nor did they give them permission or the source disks to make them. Some of those exist for some Korean dramas too (Bright Girl, for example). They are boots too.

CaptainTylor

Post by CaptainTylor » Dec 27th, '05, 06:47

Nope, not trying to convert anyone, merely pointing out places where he can search and determine for himself. Well, as for busting my bubble, I guess judging from your posts, that's about as helpful as you get.
groink wrote: I hate to burst your bubble, but you're posting in the JAPANESE ENTERTAINMENT forum, NOT the Korean Entertainment forum. Unless, of course, you're trying to convert the person. Good luck on that!

--- groink :lol

neonkinpatsu
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by neonkinpatsu » Dec 27th, '05, 07:18

The point was that dayellowjai asked for official Japanese DVD's w/ English subs, in the Japanese Entertainment section. He/she didn't ask about My Name is Kim Sam-soon, Super Rookie, or any other Korean dramas at all. He/she also posted an example (Sekai no Chuushin de, Ai wo Sakebu), a Japanese series + movie.

Anyway, @dayellowjai: Japanese movie DVD's (not dramas) can be purchased at places such as yesasia.com or cdjapan.co.jp. Be sure to read the descriptions (region and subtitle info) carefully because they vary.

nanafarhanna

Post by nanafarhanna » Apr 26th, '07, 01:42

thankszzz
you can find it if u're in Malaysia..or u can get someone in Malaysia to buy it for you..

its pretty suprising that u can get new dramas on DVD or VCD in Malaysia..

there are Malay as well as English subtitle, but u can find a lot of English subtitle in Malaysia...

i bought Sapuri last year, wish i was in Msia right now...*sigh...

spacecommand

Post by spacecommand » Apr 26th, '07, 01:59

Talk about answering a late question, that was answered back in 2005 with pretty much the same answer you gave.

nanafarhanna

Post by nanafarhanna » Apr 26th, '07, 03:46

spacecommand wrote:Talk about answering a late question, that was answered back in 2005 with pretty much the same answer you gave.
yup... i know..

but i find it fascinating that Msian are having lots n lots of interest in jdramas up till now...there are heaps of latest jdramas up for grab.. ^__^

u can easily get all jdramas that u wanted there...i mean, buying the original VCDs n DVDs...

groink

Post by groink » Apr 27th, '07, 03:00

nanafarhanna wrote:but i find it fascinating that Msian are having lots n lots of interest in jdramas up till now...there are heaps of latest jdramas up for grab.. ^__^

u can easily get all jdramas that u wanted there...i mean, buying the original VCDs n DVDs...
The original subject was "Where can i buy official dvds with english subtitles?" As we've discussed in other topics here, any Japanese drama on DVD or VCD with English or Chinese subtitles is considered bootleg, and therefore are not official. Even with the pretty hologram decals, the official-looking serial numbers, the silkscreen labels or even pressed media, these manufacturers never licensed the original work.

--- groink