How did you discover JDrama?

Talk about the culture and entertainment from Nihon.
Kanin

How did you discover JDrama?

Post by Kanin » Jan 2nd, '07, 14:48

I guess most here don't live in Japan and since Japanese movies, dramas, music or whatever is a big non-factor in most countries (due to many factors), except perhaps for some Asian countries I wonder how people got in touch with this genre.

Personally I think it was either Pretty guardian Sailor Moon or You're under arrest that made the way for me. It wasn't some direct genre recommendation by anyone like "watch some JDrama" but a growing interest that later exploded by watching GTO and Long Vacation.

I was hooked in the Morning Musume scene for a few years I think that together with my interest for Japanese movies made my discovery possible. I guess without that I would never have heard of the term JDrama. It's not something you suddenly start google on without information cause to me drama has a bad taste from my experiences of Western standards.

Keymaker

Post by Keymaker » Jan 2nd, '07, 15:05

I found them by accident while looking for Taiwanese dramas. I have no interest in Japan itself, but their dramas are pretty sweet.

omoiyou

Post by omoiyou » Jan 2nd, '07, 15:50

well my friend kept bugging me to watch 1 liter of tears, so after a year i finally gave in and got into this whole jdrama thing in the summer up till now

8thSin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by 8thSin » Jan 2nd, '07, 15:55

I used to live in Japan, but barely watched dorama. (I was only there for elementary school) I watched couple of reruns, but usually just to pass time, and I don't even remember the titles now.
In my last year there, I think it was a rerun, but there was "Coach" on TV at 5PM, and I liked baseball, so I watched it, and really enjoyed it.

Couple of years later, I came across a bookstore in "Little Japan" in Toronto, and they had a large collection of Japanese drama, movie, variety shows etc available for rent, and I started renting a lot of dorama every summer, when I had time. Eventually, I found d-addicts, and addiction got even worse :lol

Azahara

Post by Azahara » Jan 2nd, '07, 15:57

I went to Japan this summer, and the last day we're watchin' the tv at ryokan's room and we saw... My Boss My Hero #6, we couldn't understand nothing of what they' saying, but we have a lot of fun, and i search in google and i find D-Addicts :D

Gorahgurl

Post by Gorahgurl » Jan 2nd, '07, 16:01

Hm...well I was into music waaay before doramas. I remember my first JDorama being Tokyo Wankei...I think I read about it on Wiki and decided to watch it on Youtube. Then came my dorama addiction. XD

miaangelis

Post by miaangelis » Jan 3rd, '07, 00:50

sadly, but totally worth it. through kamechan-lol :lol then i started watching jmovies and i luv the movie nana! i cant wait till nana 2 comes out on dvd. cant see it since im in the states!
Attachments
Kamenashi Kazuya3.jpg
Kamenashi Kazuya3.jpg (31.21 KiB) Viewed 19873 times

lu_chan

Post by lu_chan » Jan 3rd, '07, 01:26

hmmm...I can't remember how i got into it. I know that my japanese friends talked about how watching and listening american tv shows helped them with their english. I thought "hmm if i can find somejapanese tvshows to watch..maybe that will help me". I think one of my friends told me about jdramas....and i have been an addict ever since. ^__^

marie_23

Re: How did you discover JDrama?

Post by marie_23 » Jan 3rd, '07, 01:45

Kanin wrote:I guess most here don't live in Japan and since Japanese movies, dramas, music or whatever is a big non-factor in most countries (due to many factors), except perhaps for some Asian countries I wonder how people got in touch with this genre.

Personally I think it was either Pretty guardian Sailor Moon or You're under arrest that made the way for me. It wasn't some direct genre recommendation by anyone like "watch some JDrama" but a growing interest that later exploded by watching GTO and Long Vacation.

I was hooked in the Morning Musume scene for a few years I think that together with my interest for Japanese movies made my discovery possible. I guess without that I would never have heard of the term JDrama. It's not something you suddenly start google on without information cause to me drama has a bad taste from my experiences of Western standards.
I not really a big fan of JDramas for some reason I can't find one's that are of real interest to me...However, I just now started to look back over some JDramas in hopes of finding something to appeal to my taste and so far the only one I've found is "Hana Yori Dango" and another I forgot it's name at the moment...I wonder though is their any really sweet JDrama love stories out that I keep over looking?!...

milleu87

Post by milleu87 » Jan 3rd, '07, 02:00

it was on tv. i remember oshin.haha that is pretty old drama but i wasn't interested in that but my mom was.what got me hooked was watching yutaka takeonouchi in kaoru no sekai.

MirroredSoul

Post by MirroredSoul » Jan 3rd, '07, 06:14

An online friend was telling me about 1 Litre Tears and I decided to download it. Fell in love with it immediately and my j-drama addiction began, lol.

Yorokobi

Post by Yorokobi » Jan 3rd, '07, 06:18

For me I loved Japan after my sister went and then i got into anime and japanese music followed that and then I came across live action GTO and I thought it would be funny to see them do it and after that watching these dramas just became a part of my life I can't help but love them!

Kanin

Re: How did you discover JDrama?

Post by Kanin » Jan 3rd, '07, 14:44

marie_23 wrote: I not really a big fan of JDramas for some reason I can't find one's that are of real interest to me...However, I just now started to look back over some JDramas in hopes of finding something to appeal to my taste and so far the only one I've found is "Hana Yori Dango" and another I forgot it's name at the moment...I wonder though is their any really sweet JDrama love stories out that I keep over looking?!...
If your taste is love dramas and the only drama you have liked is HYD then you can't have seen much. :lol

Seriously there are tons of dramas that touches most subjects. Of course not all are good. If you live in a Western country I guess some behaviour or some jokes etc, will sometimes look goofy, corny or just bad or strange to some, but personally I'm not too concerned about small things like that as I am more impressed by the storytelling and how sincere it usually is displayed. Somehow it's relation telling that really is simple but the way it's done goes right to your heart. To be rude, not heard of in the western tv or movie scene. :roll

If you like love stories you have lots... Love generation, Beautiful life, Kamisama mou sukoshi dake, Long vacation, Sekai no chuushin de... the list can go on forever. :lol

dina_nada

Post by dina_nada » Jan 4th, '07, 17:47

My first jdrama was "Oshin" and yea it was long time ago ( it was on our national tv. in Egypt ) which was a different type of drama for us to watch, and it got almost 80% of the egyptians to watch it , after that and also on national tv. we watched "Suzuran", after that the jdrama stopped on tv. and last year i started watching jdrama again , and it was HYD ( cause i read so much about it ) which is totally different than the ones we saw before, and i thank God i watched it :-) , cause it made me wanna watch more jdrama, so i guess my real start with jdrama is HYD :-)

arabian

Post by arabian » Jan 4th, '07, 22:01

I used to watch korean drama & download it from this site so some friend advice me to download jdrama they told it's also as good as kdrama so after that i download it & my first jdrama was summer snow so i like it and i begin to addict to jdrama..

Delilah

Post by Delilah » Jan 4th, '07, 22:22

I got really into it when my best friend gave me a drama site to download from. I also got interested when I watched Nana the live action. (Yes, only very recently). Ever since then, I've been in love with Jdramas. They're so addictive. <3

ruisu

Post by ruisu » Jan 6th, '07, 20:24

See here: http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopi ... htm#580597

Still true that nothing has really lived up to Orange Days, GTO, or Dating Now. =(

Eziya Minamoto

Post by Eziya Minamoto » Jan 8th, '07, 04:45

Well, strangely enough, I was watching a K-Drama and I saw comments talking about Nobuta Wo Produce. I decided to check it out, and then I was hooked.

reynardine

Post by reynardine » Jan 12th, '07, 11:56

I started watching jdrama a few years back. I caught an episode on TV of Hikon Kazoku (Unmarried Family) starring Sanada Hiroyuki and was addicted after that.

sveta

Post by sveta » Jan 12th, '07, 12:25

I think it was through a site called idols-unlimited. I think i saw some J-Dramas and i figured i needed to balance out my collection of K-Drama. First J-Drama i watched was 1 litter of tears. Afterwards i started to watch other dramas like queen's classroom (my fav.) and GTO (very funny and heartwarming) along with Shota no Sushi (loved the fact that it takes an entire episode for Shota to master teh skill) and 'Artifical Beauty (didn't like the message that the drama gave... :cussing: )

rubenaku

Post by rubenaku » Jan 12th, '07, 13:31

First of all, sorry for my english, because I'm not english-speaker (I'm from Spain).

I can "simplify" it like this: (its a long way xD)

· 2000: ANIME (Evangelion was the first).
· 2001: ANIME + ASIAN MOVIES (Ringu, My Sassy Girl...)
· 2002: ANIME + ASIAN MOVIES + JAPAN MUSIC (X Japan, Dir en grey, Luna sea...)
· 2003: ANIME + ASIAN MOVIES + JAPAN MUSIC + MANGA. (Naruto, Kenshin and all that stuff)
· 2004: ANIME + ASIAN MOVIES + JAPAN MUSIC + MANGA. (Principally focused on asian movies: Kim Ki Duk, Kitano, Wong Kar Wai, Park Chan Wook...)
· 2005: All the previous thing but manga (too expensive xD) and:
- MY FIRST DORAMA: GTO (i've seen the anime first, so I went for the dorama)
- MY SECOND DORAMA: DENSHA OTOKO (and that's the beginning of everything xDDD)
· 2006: THE YEAR:
- ANIME (only a bit, I dont like it very much right now, its kinda boring and childish for me at the moment)
+ ASIAN MOVIES (a lot, especially Korean movies)
+ JAPAN MUSIC (probably less than years ago...)
+ some KOREAN MUSIC (well, only a bit of Rain, Se7en, Eugene... but I like it).
+ JDORAMAS (almost 60 doramas in a year... oMG! XD)
+ KDRAMAS (more or less... 15 o 20.)
+ JAPANESE LESSONS (i've started to take some lessons of japanese language in my university and the next month I'm going to take another level. I have to admit that is because of jdoramas, and they helped me to learn it a lot).
+ JAPANESE LITERATURE (I've read all the stuff published in spanish by Haruki Murakami, and some books from other Japanese writers).

Wow, it's like the neverending story xD.

· 2007: All the things above, and maybe I will add an initiation level of Korean next summer.
· 2008?: Travel to Japan for a month? Maybe, I hope so xD.

Damn it! It's like a drug. One thing leads to another... and here we are. In all this stuff I've found a way to enjoy part of my free time and I've learned a lot of things about cultures different from mine. It's funny, interesting, and in some ways I could say that's useful.

hikkichan

Post by hikkichan » Jan 13th, '07, 09:22

I could've sworn that I had replied to this.,..

Sometime in the early/mid 90s, I watched Hitotsu Yane no Shita on NGN in Hawaii... from there, Hoshi no Kinka and AIshiteiru to Ittekure got me hooked in 1995...

I watch sporadically now since most of it seems to be crap... Dr. Koto has been the last drama that I've really enjoyed. I pissed because I missed the first 6 episodes of the first series when they had a marathon on SKy Perfect (TBS Channel).

draco

Post by draco » Jan 13th, '07, 09:43

It all began with jdrama called Tokyo Love Story for me it was airing back back in 1995 in my country's TV channel, at that time I tought omg this is so cool, I never knew that there's such interesting tv show, yes TV SHOW lol!!! exist in this planet, cuz at that time in 1995ish most of the tv shows in my country really suck badly seriously, there was like only 2 private TV stations and 1 national TV stations and that's it.

indokid

Post by indokid » Jan 13th, '07, 09:45

I've had an impression that dramas are rubbish
...until i watched 1 litre of tears
i was hooked ever since

cebusnacker

Post by cebusnacker » Jan 13th, '07, 23:36

I think I came across through youtube. I was all like i need to find some hilarious full house (the one with the olsen twins)clips hehe cuz I wanted to make a parody about their dad slapping the hell out of the olsen twins cuz they are gay to the max :lol . Yeah but to my dismay :'( I found the korean drama Full House. So I was like what the hek is that? And then I watched it and i was like haha this is awesome and I watched that and then through the comments and found someone post about ISWAK and then they posted this site called d-addicts and I was like OMG more shows like these = heaven!! Before I started watching dramas I wasn't really into Azn stuff and I never use to say cute or hot. But then I watched these and now I was really into azn stuff and saw these VERY HOT azn guys ( yamapi, joe cheng, bi) and then my addiction progressed hahaha :wub: :wub: :wub:

Saburo

Post by Saburo » Jan 21st, '07, 01:52

My girlfriend at the time (early 90s) forced me to watch a drama at her house with her, "Ashita ga Arukara" starring Imai Miki, Sendo Nobuko and (in his first-ever drama role) Fukuyama Masaharu. It was OK but what attracted me was the awesome theme song by Imai, "Piece of My Wish." Been hooked ever since.

Aayanna24

Post by Aayanna24 » Jan 21st, '07, 02:17

Three words...HANa YORI DANGO ---->the anime---->to the tw-drama-------> to the j-dorama

ok i used to be "anime obsessed" i would spend all my time looking for new anime to watch and then i found hana yori dango the anime..and i went crazy for it..i was soo HYD obsessed i became fascinated with everything hana yori dango..i had pictures some of the manga and then while reading up on it somewhere( i dont remember where exactly) i read that there was a live action?? taiwanese version and a movie made of the story...i HAD TO WATCH IT..and this was right at the time that HYD the j-dorama started airing so i was double psyked about it..

.........ive since branced out to k-drama tw-drama and lots and lots of movies..and it all startd with a little anime series called hana yori dango..the show that ruined anime for me (because since watching it i havent been able to watch another anime without comparing it to HYD and therefore just dont wtch anime) and introduced me to dramas in general.

however the first drama i had ever watchedwas mars but it doesnt really count cause i watched it years ago when it came on tv andi knew nothing about dramas at all.

rikki

Post by rikki » Feb 3rd, '07, 09:18

For me, I was caught up in the anime craze for quite a while. Then I stumbled upon Mognet somehow and they were currently hard subbing Nobuta wo Produce, After watching the 2 or so episodes they released I was hooked. Soo much better than anime (and now no longer watches it) and immediately google'd for raws and stumbled upon this site. Never regretted it since and never watched anime since.

AR_TRA

Post by AR_TRA » Feb 3rd, '07, 15:54

it's long story lol
well,, i used only listen 2 Jsongs&actually i've never though
am gonna see Jdrama >> used 2 like Americans only :P

any way i saw it after a KDrama 4 band that calls TVXQ then i
saw many people r translatin' it & tried it

the reasults >> GREAT DRAMAS :D

HaJoSa

Post by HaJoSa » Feb 3rd, '07, 16:10

well.... I was addicted to animes .... for about 4 years .... then i moved to JDrama... and i saw my first on it was Qween of classroom ... from that time I am addectict to Jdrama ....

i discoverd this site from arabic form ...... so I depend on it for sownloading my Fav drama :mrgreen:

I love Jdrama.. Jmusic ...and everything about Japan :)

godmode

Post by godmode » Feb 3rd, '07, 16:51

a lot of anime fans were talking about Densha Otoko, so i had to check out the drama

naihusna

Post by naihusna » Feb 7th, '07, 20:09

hi..i'm new here..but visit this site many times and able to download 4 ep of HYD 1st season..
i started watched Jdorama since my childhood when in my place there was a very popular Jdorama "Mero Attack" (it could be wrong spelling)..it's all about a girl who plays role of a volleyball player and want to follow her mother's champion..(if i not mistaken)...it was long time ago but still it was the best jdorama i ever seen...and until now I really fall in love with Jdorama...yes it is really addicted coz you will never want to stop once u start to watch it..
:D

funki3

Post by funki3 » Feb 7th, '07, 20:20

hmm, i guess i discovered jdramas after watching meteor garden. i watched that after finishing that hana yori dango manga. i had loved the manga, and heard that they made it into a drama. i watched it, and although i liked it..i wasn't too happy about it. mainly cause 1. i thought the acting was really bad, 2. i was getting confused as to who was who since the names were changed, and 3. the two main characters of the story weren't like their characters in the manga (at least, not to me). but i liked it anyway. then i had heard that they were making hana yori dango into a japanese drama.. and i thought, what the hell, let's watch that too. after watching (and loving) the japanese adaptation, the rest is history.

<3s-tei.

Post by <3s-tei. » Feb 7th, '07, 20:47

Before I started watching dramas, I was addicted to Anime. And I still am, just not as much. My first drama was To Heart starring Fukada Kyoko and Doumoto Tsuyoshi with Chinese subs. I really liked it but didn't really look into it much. A couple of months later, I was at a friend's house and she asked me if I wanted to watch H2 (also with Chinese subs), a drama based off of a baseball manga. So I did, and I really liked that too. That same friend introduced me to the Korean Drama called Wonderful Life, which was great, but much different than H2 and To Heart. I wanted my bf to see it, and somehow I found English subs on d-addicts and what follows is instant addiction.

Madoka
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Madoka » Feb 7th, '07, 20:48

I had been watching anime since college when a local indie station broadcast Robotech: The Macross Saga originally. (Yeah, I'm ancient). Fast forward many, many years, and I'm on Toshokan looking at which new anime torrents are availbale. However, someone had posted a torrent for J-TV's Bus Stop Eps 1 and 2, with a little blurb "Fun Romantic Comedy". As I love romantic comedies, I checked the description on the Japan-TV web site and decided to try it out. That was it! Hooked. Looking for more shows with one actress leads me to find other actresses I like, and it just snowballs from there. I had to go get a new HD just to hold the J-Doramas I was downloading.

Okashi

Post by Okashi » Feb 13th, '07, 22:07

I discovered J-Dorama while looking at an Anime web page, it had many sections such as manga, music, anime, and... Dorama!! That's when I downloaded the first dorama I ever watched Koukou Kyoushi (2003). Since that day, I'm a Dorama Addict :salut:

DMPA

Post by DMPA » Feb 13th, '07, 22:20

INTERNET!!! lol when i was lookin for kimi wa petto, and stambled across d-addicts =D

shardraco

Post by shardraco » Feb 15th, '07, 14:10

Keymaker wrote:I found them by accident while looking for Taiwanese dramas. I have no interest in Japan itself, but their dramas are pretty sweet.
Yeah, me too... I never had any interest towards Japanese Entertainment since I don't like anime...

But my best friend who is a Japanese addict introduced me to HANA YORI DANGO... We're both very big fans of METEOR GARDEN... So, I was very excited about that...

And now, yeah... I'm an addict already...

I also remember to have zero tolerance with the way Japanese girls speak.. Like making their voices cutesy and little... But it turned out that, not everyone speaks like that and that they do it intentionally for a role...

EvilPuertoRican

Post by EvilPuertoRican » Feb 15th, '07, 14:36

Well I am fairly new to asian dramas in general. The first drama I saw was the Taiwanese Drama It Started with a Kiss based on the japanese manga Itazura na Kiss. Me and my friend were the just browsing thru youtube and we would send random vids to each other. One day she sends me ISWAK and instantly become addicted. I spent all night watching the drama, while my friend didn't even see the first part. She had sent it to me without really knowing what it was. After that I started looking for live action version of manga and the next drama I saw was the JDrama, Hana Yori Dango. I was excited to see that there was a live action version cause I had just finished reading the entire manga not too long before. From there the rest is history.

That is my story on how I started watching J-Doramas (and I am sticking to it!)

pinkstars

Post by pinkstars » Feb 15th, '07, 15:14

my fRiend intrOduced jdOramas to me..then i gOt addicted to it. **even more addicted than her :D **
my first dOrama was Hana Yori Dango and i really really love it.

Jennehh__x

Post by Jennehh__x » Feb 18th, '07, 16:07

Hmm; I got addicted to JDramas through KDramas xD , I started watching 'Full House' and then I was browsing throught youtube trying to find Dramas. And then I just saw a whole list of JDramas and thats how I got addicted :]

CrAcKaJaP206

Post by CrAcKaJaP206 » Feb 20th, '07, 08:28

My Mom. She's Japanese so she's been watchin' jdrama's for ever, but when i was around 12~13 she got me into them.

I think my first one was "Toumei ningen" w/ Shingo and then "Gift" w/ Kimutaku. I've been watchin' them on and off, but in the last couple of years i've really gotten back into them.

thislove

Post by thislove » Feb 23rd, '07, 01:41

I was introduced to jdramas througth some friends who recommends Beautiful Life. It was really good so from then on I got hooked on jdramas.

urpitsx2

Post by urpitsx2 » Feb 24th, '07, 21:48

hmm.. it all started when i only watch chinese series, and when i was on myspace people asked me do you see / like drama's? i always thought that series are drama so i say yes , yes , yes , etc lol . then they would start a conversation on these drama title i never even heard about like full house, hana yori dango, gokusen, 1 lite 1 tear, etc. i didnt want to show em like im stupid and all so i did research and found download sites. then i found this website D-Addicts, silent-regrets, etc. i started with youtube also and wow i got so interested. from chinese series, to tawian drama, to korean drama, then the best of all japanese drama :) i started to like these drama, animes, jsongs, so i really wish to go to japan when im older, but of course im still learning the japanese language and characters :) gambatte :alcoholic:

nela302

Post by nela302 » Feb 24th, '07, 22:02

well my older sister was started watching them a month before me. her friend told her about it. .then she bugged me to watch hana yori dango with her becase Oguri was in it. he looked hot. so i decied to give it a try.now i am so happy she told me. i'm in love with YAMAPI and the rest of JE.

gs56cb

Post by gs56cb » Mar 13th, '07, 18:39

8thSin wrote:I used to live in Japan, but barely watched dorama. (I was only there for elementary school) I watched couple of reruns, but usually just to pass time, and I don't even remember the titles now.
In my last year there, I think it was a rerun, but there was "Coach" on TV at 5PM, and I liked baseball, so I watched it, and really enjoyed it.

Couple of years later, I came across a bookstore in "Little Japan" in Toronto, and they had a large collection of Japanese drama, movie, variety shows etc available for rent, and I started renting a lot of dorama every summer, when I had time. Eventually, I found d-addicts, and addiction got even worse :lol

hey man , I live in TOronto. Where is Little Japan? Are those dramas that you rented subbed in english? It basically started from anime. My friends introduced me to anime and J-rock. Here is my connection to Jdrama. Naruto - Sambomaster's opening for Naruto - loved the song for Naruto, so I searched for more Sambomaster videos - In one video, someone commented that the song was for a drama Densha Otoko - searched Densha Otoko and watched a couple of episodes and then got interested - After Densha Otoko I was set on Jdramas. lol. Densha Otoko is a really good starter because it introduces you to a world of the otaku, which is like a culture in Japan. I loved it. To this day, it still has an impression on me. lol. After Densha Otoko, I basically made connections to other dramas with the same stars. The girl who plays Densha's sister is in Nobuta Wo Produce, and Yamapi and Kazuya Kamenashhi, have their own good dramas too lol. NOw , you know my story. I write too damn much. :w00t:

*member*

Post by *member* » Mar 15th, '07, 17:31

Well in my case i got into the hole jdorama craze through my Korean addiction. jajajjaja the first contact with Asian entertainment was with the k-drama stairway to heaven and after that i began looking for others dramas. after my last k-drama which in my opinion was not good at all i decided to give japan a try.

got into forums to see which ones were the more recommended ones and popular, bumping into GTO, Orange Days and Gokusen but couldn't find them :-( so during my search i found HYD 1& 2 and got hooked. :w00t:

Would really appreciate if someone gave me a hint in the music department.
p.s do jdoramas have ng as Korean ones and what does ng means ? :scratch:

thanx :thumright:

Xen0phobia

Post by Xen0phobia » Mar 18th, '07, 06:08

I had been watching the anime nodame and noticed it also had a drama version. I went around looking for it and found this site. I was hooked right away. This all happen like 3 weeks ago. Since then i've been looking and downloading all the popular dramas. Right now im watching gokusen and haven't watched an anime since i downloaded my first j-drama. I like anime too but j-drama is just a whole new perspective on the stories that make me first move to japanese media in the first place.

lanett

Post by lanett » Mar 18th, '07, 06:32

I recently started to get into forums but I started watching JDrama when my Japanese classmate gave me a link from youtube to watch Hana Yori DAngo. Been into them ever since and I love it!!!! :goggle:

doink-chan
United States of America

Post by doink-chan » Mar 18th, '07, 22:10

My first J-drama was actually not a primetime drama like most people here, it was an NHK asadora - a random subbed episode of Churasan that doinkies caught flipping channels on the TV when I went to visit my grandparents in LA once. I was already a fan of anime and knew of some J-dramas (mostly ones adapted from manga), but that was the first drama I saw...the first non-NHK primetime drama doinkies saw was Summer Snow.

*member*: "NG" stands for "no good" and that expression is used to refer to blooper scenes in both Korean and Japanese. I don't think J-dramas tend to have NG specials a lot though. Maybe some J-drama R2 DVDs might have NG scenes as special features, I don't know.

AzNightDreams

Post by AzNightDreams » Mar 18th, '07, 22:20

I was into anime first but then one day I came across something interesting called PGSM lmao I luved sailor moon and this was a live action so I watched it... it brought me into other japanese dramas where as now i just luv all dramas (and not really anime so much xP)

tanuki-san

Post by tanuki-san » Mar 19th, '07, 02:46

I watched the Death Note movie and wanted to see more Matsuyama Kenichi. :P That led me to Bucketloads of Tears (not much Matsuken action :-() and then tried Gokusen (One freaking line, WTF?!? :cry:) but by that time I was already taken by Matsujun, Oguri Shun, and Nari-kins, so I've been following them around ever since, picking up more random hotties to watch as I go.... :roll

bluemoo21

Post by bluemoo21 » Mar 29th, '07, 19:17

tanuki-san wrote:I watched the Death Note movie and wanted to see more Matsuyama Kenichi. :P That led me to Bucketloads of Tears (not much Matsuken action :-() and then tried Gokusen (One freaking line, WTF?!? :cry:) but by that time I was already taken by Matsujun, Oguri Shun, and Nari-kins, so I've been following them around ever since, picking up more random hotties to watch as I go.... :roll
hey! how did u get to watch the Death Note movie?
I've been trying to find a site to download this movie, but I cant find it anywhere. :cussing:
if u can plz send me a link to where u watched it.. that would be so awesome!

or... did u buy it? :pale:

tanuki-san

Post by tanuki-san » Mar 29th, '07, 20:59

Both part 1 and 2 (subbed) are at crunchyroll.com. If you join the jdramas group on livejournal, you can download it from there too.

bluemoo21

Post by bluemoo21 » Mar 30th, '07, 00:37

tanuki-san wrote:Both part 1 and 2 (subbed) are at crunchyroll.com. If you join the jdramas group on livejournal, you can download it from there too.
thank u soo much! :D

Ore.Sama

Post by Ore.Sama » Mar 31st, '07, 20:46

Well for me it started with anime... my freind got for us in school naruto episodes and we started watching it as well as other animes. After I got my sis addicted to animes she watched HNYD (the anime) and when she knew that there is a HNYD drama as well she downloaded it and that got both of us hooked to jdrama ^^.

sabriyahm

Post by sabriyahm » Mar 31st, '07, 21:07

Ore.Sama wrote:Well for me it started with anime... my freind got for us in school naruto episodes and we started watching it as well as other animes. After I got my sis addicted to animes she watched HNYD (the anime) and when she knew that there is a HNYD drama as well she downloaded it and that got both of us hooked to jdrama ^^.
Same Here! But mind was in a round about way. I've always liked anime and I got hooked on Hana Yori Dango. While waiting for Netflix to ship me the discs I read about a live action version on ANN. I watched it and it just so happened that the next anime I watched was GTO. Again I saw there was a live action version on ANN(animenewsnetwork). While watching episode 5 my mother (in her 50's) sat down beside me and said what is this. She then made me watch it all the way till the end of the series. The next day she asked me if I had anymore. I came to D-addicts to find more and thus my addiction (and hers) was born. So weirdly enough me getting hooked on Jdrama's is all my moms doing. She (who is now far more of a Kdrama TWdrama) has watched literally dozens more then me but I have to do all the downloading and computer stuff. She refuses to learn.

PS. I asked her what started her Jdrama obsession and she doesnt even remember the first one she watched!

daelite

Post by daelite » Mar 31st, '07, 21:31

I initially stumbled into jdrama years ago when my school anime club took a break from anime and showed the GTO drama. I only saw the first few episodes but really enjoyed it... though it wasn't until years later that I saw the rest and became interested in other asian dramas.

i_ming

Post by i_ming » Mar 31st, '07, 21:53

after i watched the anime GTO i found that there was a live action version, so i watched that... then i started watching some Kimura Takuya dramas, he's awesome. currently i watch only korean dramas.

notimeforfairytales

Post by notimeforfairytales » Mar 31st, '07, 22:14

Like many others it started with anime for me. I had read the Hana Yori Dango manga, seen the anime, and then suddenly one day I stumbled upon the live action. So I just had to watch it.. and I got hooked! Once I was finished there was no turning back. It's been many, many, many dramas after that one! :mrgreen:

Ore.Sama

Post by Ore.Sama » Apr 2nd, '07, 14:04

sabriyahm wrote: Same Here! But mind was in a round about way. I've always liked anime and I got hooked on Hana Yori Dango. While waiting for Netflix to ship me the discs I read about a live action version on ANN. I watched it and it just so happened that the next anime I watched was GTO. Again I saw there was a live action version on ANN(animenewsnetwork). While watching episode 5 my mother (in her 50's) sat down beside me and said what is this. She then made me watch it all the way till the end of the series. The next day she asked me if I had anymore. I came to D-addicts to find more and thus my addiction (and hers) was born. So weirdly enough me getting hooked on Jdrama's is all my moms doing. She (who is now far more of a Kdrama TWdrama) has watched literally dozens more then me but I have to do all the downloading and computer stuff. She refuses to learn.

PS. I asked her what started her Jdrama obsession and she doesnt even remember the first one she watched!
LoL... It's funny how ur mom got u hooked to jdrama :lol.
I can't imagine the hassle of looking and downloading stuff that u dnt even watch.. god help you :P

oshuwel

Post by oshuwel » Apr 20th, '07, 07:15

I'm a big anime fan back then. So I watch anything Japanese. I saw Shounen Club first then Pop Jam on NHK and immediately fell into the world of Jmusic.Oh, and also Kmusic. Since I love anime, Jmusic and Kmusic, I watch any Asian channel we have in here to see if there're any shows about kmusic/jmusic or anime. That time, I was madly in love with Yamashita Tomohisa ( I still am), while I was watching Music Bank, I saw a commercial of YamaPi in Long Love Letter. I tuned into the channel until I saw the jdrama. But I think (I'm not quite sure which happened first) I saw SOS first before Long Love Letter. It was a Sunday, I believe. I saw Takki acting (SOS) so I watched it. I didn't immediately got hooked into jdrama then. When I was in 4th year, a friend lent me Gokusen and from then on, it began.. xD

TRaven

Post by TRaven » Apr 20th, '07, 08:05

I liked the GTO Manga, then I saw there was a GTO Live Action, i couldn't resist. It was so good i gave other shows a shot and the rest is history, and so is my social life :P

lauren0matic

Post by lauren0matic » Apr 20th, '07, 08:24

My brother and JE boys got me into dramas BIG TIME.

My first drama was Densha Otoko. He made me watch one morning and after that i wanted to watch more of the series so i finished it. Then after i was done with that series i asked him to tell me about other dramas so he recommended me Hana yori dango. After the first half of episode 1 of season one i Was completely HOOKED. I fell in love with the series. Then i started crushing on Matsujun and Shun. So i checked out their other dramas and movies. Then i got into Matsujun big time and watched a lot of his stuff then after awhile i discovered JE boys after watching a lot of drama that just so happen to have them. And i started becoming interested in a lot of them and watched a lot of there stuff. Pretty much every drama i have watched has starred a JE boy. then after i watched so many i discovered many amazing and talented actors and actresses and just followed them. And now i am a Drama fanatic always having a torrent waiting for me.

cherryaddict

Post by cherryaddict » Apr 20th, '07, 16:04

ummmm
my addiction started ....ummmm....2 years ago.....I think??
anyway, I used to read mangas a loot, and I used to read HYD too
after that, I discovered that there was a Japanese live action for the manga, so I downloaded it.
after that drama
my addiction started ^^

nanafarhanna

how i discover jdrama...~

Post by nanafarhanna » Apr 25th, '07, 02:48

my first jdrama that i've watched was Beach Boys.. i dun really remember how it was, but its the very first jdrama i've watched..

it was aired on Malaysian telly when i was in high school.. from then on, i kept watching more jdrama on telly... With Love, Long Vacation, Overtime, Beautiful Life and much more.. at that time, Takuya Kimura is sooo HOT..n YOUNGER... :mrgreen:

then i moved on to spanish telenovelas, thai dramas, korean dramas, n now i'm addicted to jdrama..again..~ hehehe

since i lurve akAME so much, cant wait to see more of them this year...

welcome back Bakanishi..~

Lady Bell

Post by Lady Bell » Apr 25th, '07, 03:24

My first was Pretty Guardian Sailormoon. *blush*

After that I think it was Trick, probably because at the time it happened to be the series of the week. It is, however, still one of my favorites. ^^

I also got my mom addicted to Asian dramas. She's currently working her way through Yasashi Jikan and Kekkon Dekinai Otoko with a little Lovers in Paris on the side. :lol

Moist

gto

Post by Moist » Apr 25th, '07, 23:55

i've been watching anime for about 2 years now and finshed the anime GTO about 2 months ago. While searching for GTO episodes on you tube i came across the GTO live action series. wasnt interested in watching it back then but i found myself bored to death the other day and finished the series in a couple of days! Now working down the list of the great jdramas :D watching gokusen atm!

Neptune222

Post by Neptune222 » May 3rd, '07, 21:15

A few years back I started getting into foreign films (non-English speaking / non-American films). At first I was mostly into French films but I soon became interested in Asian films, most Chinese, Japanese and Korean.

Some of my favorite Japanese films I've seen are "Swing Girls", "Nana" and "Kamikaze Girls".....

Back in December of 06' I was looking up information on "Kamikaze Girls" (I was looking up a song name from the movie) when I came across a website named Tokyopoprocks (which isn't there anymore...) and they were advertising JDramas they had to download and watch, especially Hana Yori Dango. I ignored it for a bit but then one day I decided to check out the first episode and I was immediately hooked!!!

I downloaded all the episodes and watched them all in a few days. I became very emotionaly involved with the show, story and characters so I was very excited when I learned that season 2 was coming out soon, As soon as season 2 came out I was hooked again.

Since season 2 ended I've watched 3 other JDramas and I'm currently watching 2 new shows and I have others downloading.

Watching Jdramas is now my "new thing"!!!

brixtan

Post by brixtan » May 4th, '07, 14:58

i discovered jdorama because the philippines started airing hYD. it stinks watching dramas at tv because there are so many commercials, so i downloaded it and then poof!

sandyaj

Post by sandyaj » Apr 30th, '08, 14:15

Neptune222 wrote: Back in December of 06' I was looking up information on "Kamikaze Girls" (I was looking up a song name from the movie) when I came across a website named Tokyopoprocks (which isn't there anymore...) and they were advertising JDramas they had to download and watch, especially Hana Yori Dango. I ignored it for a bit but then one day I decided to check out the first episode and I was immediately hooked!!!

I downloaded all the episodes and watched them all in a few days. I became very emotionaly involved with the show, story and characters so I was very excited when I
learned that season 2 was coming out soon, As soon as season 2 came out I was hooked again.

Since season 2 ended I've watched 3 other JDramas and I'm currently watching 2 new shows and I have others downloading.

Watching Jdramas is now my "new thing"!!!
\

Actually, the website is still up, http://www.TokyoPopRocks.Tv
(I should know since i still run it. heh)

Takuya-kun

Post by Takuya-kun » May 1st, '08, 14:46

It's so cool seeing how everyone got into J-drama.

This is my first post...so...hello everyone! XD

My transition was a little different. I'd been into toku for a while, and a friend on another forum recommended Densha Otoko. I was curious after that and watched HYD, Akihabara@DEEP, and Hana Kimi...and then I was hooked. I'm hopelessly addicted to JE and dramas now.

MochaValencia

Post by MochaValencia » May 2nd, '08, 00:48

I've seen (more like previewed) a bunch of Asian dramas (mostly Taiwanese and Korean) when I was younger, but I never took them seriously because they were too cheesy or too long or both for my taste. Then I accidentally found You're Under Arrest Live Action while looking for anime episodes on youtube. I knew about the live action version years before, but I wasn't interested because I thought all dramas were the same, I didn't even care about the differences between Korean, Taiwanese, Chinese, etc etc dramas.

Anyway, many don't consider YUA as one of the better Jdramas, but it introduced me to some actors/actresses and triggered my Jdrama addiction. Before I knew it, I was watching Beach Boys, The Queen's Classroom, Densha Otoko and With Love (I think it's pretty obvious which of the two YUA leads I'm sticking to).... then I found Rondo and GTO. I've posted this before, but yeah, the actors you see in one drama could lead you to more, then you can compare/choose between genres, then you're *really* hooked. :roll

Takuya-kun wrote: This is my first post...so...hello everyone! XD
Cool! And welcome! You'll like it here, believe me. :lol

lmaonade

Post by lmaonade » May 2nd, '08, 00:58

this girl told me 2
so i did
she didn't go out w/ me though
oh wellz
and now i still watch them

Rori

Post by Rori » May 2nd, '08, 01:19

One of the sites I downloaded anime from had (still has) a JDrama section, avoided it for a while, Jdrama just didn't catch my interest at that time. Must have been bored one day, because I wound up watching the start of a series anyway.

Which was Nobuta - got hooked from the first episode. After that I had to check out more. =)