[Discussion] Sexy Voice and Robo

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
michitakem

[Discussion] Sexy Voice and Robo

Post by michitakem » Mar 29th, '07, 20:05

Anyone read the manga? The Drama coming in a few weeks (Apri 20) looks like it should be fun:

Some stuff not from D-Wikis:

http://comics.ign.com/articles/674/674243p1.html

What do you get when you combine a 14-year-old junior high school student who moonlights as a telephone sex worker and her best friend, an unemployed twenty-ish guy who likes to collect toy robots? Outside of an impending court case, you get the fascinatingly odd manga collection, Sexy Voice and Robo.

Created by Japanese manga talent Iou Kuroda, Sexy Voice and Robo is yet another example of what separates manga as a storytelling medium from its bigger cousin, the American comic book. While the American comic book format can (and has) told stories about people that don't wear spandex to work, the manga format just seems to be a better forum for characters who aren't actually from another planet but feel like they could be. In this oversized compilation of the manga series originally serialized in the Japanese magazine, IKKO, Iou Kuroda creates a 14-year-old woman who is not only self aware but painfully aware of who and what she is in the society she has been born into. Nico Hayashi learns quickly that sex is a tool, a weapon and even a way to make a living at an age that most adults would hope that her biggest interest is still Sailor Moon and Hello Kitty. If this sounds like some heavy territory to tread, it is. Yet Kuroda still manages use this character as the core in his creation of a very unusual romantic comedy.

From Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexy_Voice_and_Robo

The story is about the adventures of a 14 year old girl named Nico Hayashi (林二湖 Hayashi Niko) who uses her talents of changing and altering her voice to manipulate men over the phone who want to participate in Enjo kōsai. Through this she learns a lot about human nature, and gains a keen understanding of peoples through their voices.

An aging gangster notices her talents and decides to hire her to solve various cases.

While Nico is on her first case, she meets with a geeky (Otaku) man named Iichiro Sudo (須藤威一郎 Sudō I'ichirō), who has an obsession with robot toy models. This obsession that leads Nico to call him "Robo", and the two become an unlikely team. After completing her first case Nico proclaims herself "Sexy Voice" and a variety of short loosely linked character-driven adventures ensue.

The manga won the Excellence prize in 2001 at the Japan Media Arts Festival and has received critical acclaim around the world.

Sexy Voice and Robo is currently unfinished, as there was a rumored falling out between the author and the publisher. Shogakukan claims that the manga's hiatus is due to Kuroda still recovering from an illness, but he's continued to do more manga for different publishers. On his blog, Kuroda claims he intends to write more some day, but is too busy. [1]

[img]http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/612/coverdi8.jpg[/img]

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Mar 29th, '07, 20:09

Okay, you hooked me. 8thSin, did it grab you too? Are we gonna do this one?

(I'm not claiming the project - Just saying that it sounds awfully attractive)

EMTQueen

Post by EMTQueen » Mar 30th, '07, 04:55

I want to see this, mostly because Suzuka Ohgo is in this and she's just so adorable in Memoirs of a Geisha.

Hachiko-chan

Post by Hachiko-chan » Mar 30th, '07, 13:35

Suzuka Ohgo is the only reason I even bothered to watch memoirs grrrr!
But I definetely have to see this seriers.

michitakem

Post by michitakem » Mar 30th, '07, 18:01

Great that other people are looking forward to this one too. :cheers:

dmthomas

Post by dmthomas » Apr 1st, '07, 05:15

The title alone grabs me... come on. Sexy voice and robo? How awesome is that?

elden41

Post by elden41 » Apr 1st, '07, 05:31

I don't watch many mangas, but this title also caught my eye

supermoe321

Post by supermoe321 » Apr 6th, '07, 11:02

Info from dramawiki

Title:
Sexy Voice and Robo

Cast:
Matsuyama Kenichi (松山ケンイチ) …as Sudo Ichiro (Robo)
Ohgo Suzuka (大後寿々花)…as Hayashi Niko
Murakawa Eri  (村川絵梨) …as Hayashi Kazumi
Tsukamoto Shinya (塚本晋也) …as Hayashi Takeo
Katagiri Hairi (片桐はいり)…as Hayashi Yukie
Okada Yoshinori  (岡田義徳)…as Nanashi Hideyoshi
Asaoka Ruriko  (浅丘ルリ子) …as Makyouna Maki
Nakamura Shido (中村獅童) …as Mikabozu (ep1)
Nakamura Shido (村上淳) …as Gobozou (ep2)
Kashii Yuu (香椎由宇) …as Ohaguro-Onna(ep3)
Ichikawa Miwako (市川美和子... as Kannin Bukuro (ep4)
Kurokawa Tomoka ... as Rei (ep5)
Ryo ... as (ep06)
Shiraishi Kayoko ... as Robo's mum (ep06)
Tomosaka Rie ...
Kobayashi Satomi ...
Motai Masako ...
Staff:
Original writing: Iou Kuroda
Screenwriter: Kizara Izumi (木皿泉) …famous for, Yappari Neko Ga Suki, Suika, Nobuta Wo Produce
Producer: Kawano Hidehiro (河野英裕) …famous for, Suika, Nobuta wo Produce, My boss My Hero
Director: Sato Touya (佐藤東弥) …famous for, My boss My hero, Gokusen, 14 Sai no Haha, Suika, Anego
Music: Nakatsuka Takeshi (中塚武) 
Last edited by supermoe321 on May 13th, '07, 16:03, edited 2 times in total.

Kaji-shonen

Post by Kaji-shonen » Apr 9th, '07, 11:46

aishoni2

Post by aishoni2 » Apr 11th, '07, 07:01

ooooh.
Ohgo Suzuka from Memoir of a Geisha!
She's brilliant. Can't wait to see this

kya^^

Post by kya^^ » Apr 11th, '07, 11:45

Yes! There's a raw file for this drama!! I'm soooo going to watch it even without subs!! :)

bshater

Post by bshater » Apr 11th, '07, 14:53

dude, the guy from death note is in here. hes awesome! would be nice if someone can sub this. :)

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » Apr 11th, '07, 18:21

dancestar is subbing this in softsubs.. just be patient !

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Apr 11th, '07, 18:23

YAY DANCESTAR!! GAMBATTE O KUDASAI!

teddygrahamtheif

Post by teddygrahamtheif » Apr 11th, '07, 20:30

AHHHHHHHHHH I'm so excited and happy that you guys all want to watch this too.
Thanks Dancestar24!!!!

I can't wait!!

bluxabstract

Post by bluxabstract » Apr 11th, '07, 23:30

Ive just watched it and It is extremely boring!! The only reason Id probably continue watching this series is only because Ohgo Suzuka is the lead and shes adorable! :mrgreen:

bshater

Post by bshater » Apr 11th, '07, 23:39

bluxabstract wrote:Ive just watched it and It is extremely boring!! The only reason Id probably continue watching this series is only because Ohgo Suzuka is the lead and shes adorable! :mrgreen:
just wondering blux, are you japanese or did you watch it without a clue what the story is about? :whistling: even if you did understand it, im still gonna watch this before i pass on my judgement. perhaps this isn't your cup of tea.
anyway, thanks dancestar for subbing this drama! :cheers:

bluxabstract

Post by bluxabstract » Apr 12th, '07, 00:05

bshater wrote:
bluxabstract wrote:Ive just watched it and It is extremely boring!! The only reason Id probably continue watching this series is only because Ohgo Suzuka is the lead and shes adorable! :mrgreen:
just wondering blux, are you japanese or did you watch it without a clue what the story is about? :whistling: even if you did understand it, im still gonna watch this before i pass on my judgement. perhaps this isn't your cup of tea.
anyway, thanks dancestar for subbing this drama! :cheers:
Wow You made it seem like I was trying to convince you to not watch it! Are you pissed that I said it was boring?? lol I was just placing my opinion on the show I didnt say OMG its a waste of time to sub this series trash this series and pick a new one fer crissake! !! Im entitled to my own opinion!! There really was no need to to call me out for this :whistling:

8thSin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by 8thSin » Apr 12th, '07, 00:07

pokute wrote:Okay, you hooked me. 8thSin, did it grab you too? Are we gonna do this one?

(I'm not claiming the project - Just saying that it sounds awfully attractive)
Hehe, this wasn't on my watch list this season, but it sure seems like a crazy story, I'll give it a try :lol

I'm in absolutely no condition to take any new projects at the moment though :whistling:
Good luck to dancestar with this series :salut:

nad59

Post by nad59 » Apr 12th, '07, 00:43

WOW!!Thanks so much dancestar for subbing this drama!I'm glad someone decided to take on this project!

ennifer512

Post by ennifer512 » Apr 12th, '07, 05:31

To be honest, this drama is quite weird. I'm still waiting for the subtitles though ^__^ Either way, I found it quite silly but ENJOYABLE. Yeah, Kenichi Maysuyama's acting makes me laugh (in a good way XD) but he's probably the only reason why I'm watching XD

I am so excited for the next episode =D

FallenStar

Post by FallenStar » Apr 13th, '07, 11:22

I decided to catch this drama simply because of my interest in the story. I do not know any of the main lead actor or actress.

Just finished watching the first episode with the Chinese subtitle.
I liked it a lot.
It reminds me of Kisarazu Cat's Eye, with distinctive style and weird sense of humor ,which totally is my kind of drama. I don't think this drama is for everyone, though.

Will definitely continue watching..I enjoy the weirdness this show delivers lol.

Kaji-shonen

Post by Kaji-shonen » Apr 13th, '07, 14:27

This may be a "love it or hate it" drama.
I am the former.

avexdevil

Post by avexdevil » Apr 13th, '07, 18:08

lol sounds frackin weird! :X

muz be one of those japanese fettish shows lol.

for those who can watch with chinese subs, btpig is subbing it as with many of the other new released shows like liar game and yamapi's proposal one.

how is it you guys get the RAW, is it on daddicts? i haven't looked, but that's quick!

8thSin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by 8thSin » Apr 13th, '07, 23:30

I just watched it, and kind of liked it. It's really crazy funny, and characters seem very interesting.
It will get really cheesy though, I can see it coming :lol Hopefully it won't suck like Sailor-fuku to Kikanjuu... The first episode have the same feel to it.

That lead actress, Oogo Suzuka... Wikipedia JP says she's 13?!
Incredibly good actress, she's like a better version of Inoue Mao :thumleft:

Bodhi

Post by Bodhi » Apr 14th, '07, 16:50

That lead actress, Oogo Suzuka... Wikipedia JP says she's 13?!
Incredibly good actress, she's like a better version of Inoue Mao :thumleft:[/quote]

She reminded me a little of Inoue Mao from the first season of HYD. I really loved this first episode and hope they keep it up in the episodes to follow. The manga was excellent and they've changed the story line a little in this episode but I'm glad to see that, I don't want the drama to just rehash the manga story. I want to see some little twists in the plot, want the overall feel of the show to remain faithful to the manga.

airskape

Post by airskape » Apr 14th, '07, 16:53

just watched the first ep..dont know what to think about it yet..
personally i found it a little boring and the only reason i kept watching was because of ohgo suzuka. i cant believe shes only 13..reminds me of a younger erika sawajiri

anyway ill give ep 2 a go and see how it is then..but judging from the preview it looks like the same old stuff..kind of like kurosagi where they just solve cases each episode and hardly any input to the actual storyline

Bodhi

Post by Bodhi » Apr 22nd, '07, 15:10

Does anybody know who they are cosplaying in the 2nd episode as, the subs say Arayashiki and Gomozo, What anime is that from? I googled those name and came up empty. Anyways this was a great episode the show continues to improve just like the manga did.

goygakgoy

Post by goygakgoy » Apr 23rd, '07, 01:53

Such a cute gal. Searched her online and found out she was from Memoirs and she was so cute in it. The drama is wierd though. She needs to make friends with girls her own age. This drama is not good in my opinion, but this girl has so much potential.

Liantasse

Post by Liantasse » Apr 26th, '07, 17:45

So far, I love it to pieces!! XD

deadd

Post by deadd » Apr 26th, '07, 17:55

Bodhi wrote:Does anybody know who they are cosplaying in the 2nd episode as, the subs say Arayashiki and Gomozo, What anime is that from? I googled those name and came up empty. Anyways this was a great episode the show continues to improve just like the manga did.
They probably made the names up, as well as the anime concept, to avoid paying licensing fees for the real stuff...I think.

ashitakka

Post by ashitakka » May 3rd, '07, 11:05

xD this drama is realy ... good ! its funny , and the actors are realy realy good ( Suzuka is realy realy doing a good job )
soo thanks for the subs, an please go on with all the subs ;)

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » May 5th, '07, 10:55

i uploaded the theme song :D its a nice song!

tritochjay

Post by tritochjay » May 9th, '07, 02:54

Furransu, where did you upload the theme song? I love themesong (it is the ending song right?)

What's it called and who sung it?

jiro_no_jojo17

Post by jiro_no_jojo17 » May 10th, '07, 15:11

I love this show too! It's so awesome to know that Ken has a range of roles he can play, like being serious and quirky like L, or being hilarious as Robo. But where's espisode 5? From the preview it looked absolutely hilarious, but nobody's posted it for dowload yet! :(

twothreefour

Post by twothreefour » May 10th, '07, 15:14

Jiro: I downloaded episode 5 from http://windjp2006.blog51.fc2.com/ 's clubbox last night.

I LOVE this show to pieces!

jiro_no_jojo17

Post by jiro_no_jojo17 » May 10th, '07, 16:51

thanks! but i don't know how to download from there. it says i need a password and stuff. :( tasukete!

Hazelrah

Looking forward to EP 5

Post by Hazelrah » May 10th, '07, 17:29

I'm also waiting eagerly for #5. Thanks to everyone that has been working on it so far!
:thumleft:
~Mel

thehibiscus

Post by thehibiscus » May 10th, '07, 21:23

twothreefour wrote:Jiro: I downloaded episode 5 from http://windjp2006.blog51.fc2.com/ 's clubbox last night.

I LOVE this show to pieces!
Could you link the club box please? Thank you!

celticmoon

Post by celticmoon » May 11th, '07, 06:03

This is easily my favorite drama this season. I originally decided to watch it because I thought the premise seemed somewhat interesting, but I wasn't expecting too much, especially since I wasn't extremely familiar with much of the cast. It turned out to be way different than I expected--I thought Nico and Robo would actually be spies--but I fell in love with it as soon as I saw the first episode. It's funny and entertaining, and I like how each episode has an underlying message. (And the music is great! I especially like that swing style ballad that plays during every episode.)

Unfortunately, I thought that episodes 4 and 5 didn't hold up as well as the first three (and especially the first episode, which I thought was the best), but judging from the preview, the sixth episode looks to be great.

Bodhi

Post by Bodhi » May 11th, '07, 20:44

I just finished watching the T-N hardsub release of episode 4 and I really love this show! Both Matsuyama Kenichi and Ohgo Suzuka are really excellent, in their roles. Does anyone know how many episodes are planned? This and Proposal Daisakusen are my two favorite airing series

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » May 12th, '07, 00:47

ohh theres a hardsub ver?? im gonna DL it

for those who cant wait to watch ep4 subbed, u can DL the hardsub :D find the torrent in tokyotosho.com

8thSin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by 8thSin » May 12th, '07, 02:36

^ The show's scheduled to be 11 episodes, but the it's getting very low ratings. They might cut it short...

It's starting to get repetitve :unsure:
Ep5 reminded me of Ep3 a lot. Same "ghost story" elements.

celticmoon

Post by celticmoon » May 13th, '07, 20:58

It seems that we no longer have to worry about it being cut short. According to what the producer wrote in the diary on the official website, it seems that they are going ahead with plans to make episode 11 the last episode. Also, according to the same diary, episode 7 is planned to be structured like a situation comedy. I'm a little worried about this, but it could potentially be pretty interesting. And episode 8 and 9 are going to be connected, with the guests being Kobayashi Satomi, Tomosaka Rie, and Motai Masako, who appeared in the drama, 'Suika' (this drama had the same producer and screenwriter as 'Sexy Voice and Robo'). I'm getting more excited about what is to come in this drama. I was slightly disappointed with the last couple of episodes, so I'm really hoping that that the upcoming stuff is really good.

Terryb

Post by Terryb » May 20th, '07, 19:37

Episode 6 was the best,

Kang-samaa ROFL :lol

LanBreak

Post by LanBreak » May 22nd, '07, 12:41

I didn't really get around to watching the series yet, but it seems like there won't be an ep07 for now. According to Asahi Shimbun, the channel decided to pull the episode since it would have the main characters get involved in a hostage/standoff situation. According to the article, the station wanted to avoid stirring up the still-fresh memories of a similar shooting situation last week, where a former member of a gangster group killed a police officer and wounded three other persons. It is yet undecided whether the 7th episode will be shown anytime later.

References:
http://www.asahi.com/national/update/05 ... 20372.html
http://www.japantoday.com/jp/news/407042

Edit: according to the official homepage, they are going to continue with the 8th episode next week; tonight they will reshow the second episode.

celticmoon

Post by celticmoon » May 22nd, '07, 19:06

LanBreak wrote:According to Asahi Shimbun, the channel decided to pull the episode since it would have the main characters get involved in a hostage/standoff situation.
OMG. This is TERRIBLE news. I was sooo looking forward to the seventh episode! I had actually heard about the case from last week, and I did have a slight fear that they may pull the episode, but now that it's actually happened, I am so disappointed. :( I hope they air the episode eventually...

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » May 22nd, '07, 19:16

i dont understand why they taking off ep7.. can anyone explain to me in more detail :S ?

marienella_m

Post by marienella_m » May 22nd, '07, 19:29

fastat3m

Post by fastat3m » May 22nd, '07, 19:46

furransu wrote:i dont understand why they taking off ep7.. can anyone explain to me in more detail :S ?
All TV stations try to be politically correct. They do this in every country. I remember after the Columbine incident in the US, I think they delayed the season finale of Buffy the Vampire Slayer for about a month. Its probably good for the show though, it'll get them free publicity and they'll probably show it later. I'm sure they'll eventually show it, I doubt they'll throw it in the trash after putting money into the production of the episode, especially since the episode is finished.

celticmoon

Post by celticmoon » May 23rd, '07, 00:36

I hope that they show it within the next couple of months, ideally after episodes 8 and 9 (since ep9 is gonna be a continuation of ep8), or maybe after the finale. I agree that it would be very unfortunate for the cast and staff of the drama if the episode wasn't aired at all (especially for the guest star, who will not be on any other episodes). I'm just wondering if they already have programming scheduled for after the drama, making it difficult to air episode 7.

By the way, anybody know where you can watch the preview for episode eight? I can't see it off of the NTV website, since you need a Japanese IP in order to do so.

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » May 24th, '07, 18:46

is niko's mom a male?? lol.. she looks like a transgender..

Liantasse

Post by Liantasse » May 24th, '07, 19:03

LOLZ, furransu!! It wouldn't have occurred to me, but you're right, she does! Katagiri Hairi is the actress' name, right? I've become her fan! :lol She's incredibly funny! At first I was a bit scared of her XD but now I like her scenes a lot :D

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » May 24th, '07, 20:28

I think Katagiri Hairi is hilarious too. My mother watched Bengoshi no Kuzu with me recently, and when Hairi did a guest role in the second episode Mom asked that same question. She really is quite a good actress!

I'm really bummed about episode 7, but hopefully they won't have to hold it for too long. At least 8 and 9 have Tomosaka Rie to look forward to.

lzydata

Post by lzydata » May 25th, '07, 11:30

Sigh I was so disappointed when I saw the notice on the official website and then came here to double-check. Especially since the producer promised Episode 7 would contain pretty important character developments, and now it may not even be shown at all. It seems like this drama really can't get a break - the bad ratings, now this.
Niko and Robo sharing the same birthday, which I guess is why they were all in the fami-resu, etc.

javinian

Post by javinian » May 25th, '07, 15:06

I think so it really sucks but i can also understand why the channel decided to pull the episode off the shed.

When i saw first episode with the serial number i immediately checked the calendar to see if the 22th of may would be a tuesday (episodes airing day). It was and i was badly looking forward to that very episode. :(

I came here to check for some cancelling of the episode since i didnt know about the incident.

celticmoon

Post by celticmoon » May 25th, '07, 17:09

I'm sure that NTV has been getting lots of complaints about the cancellation of the episode. However, I have a feeling that they would have gotten complaints even if they aired it, especially since last Tuesday was the day of the memorial ceremony (or something of the sort) of the victim in the hostage case.

I really hope that the episode isn't cancelled for good. And since I'm thinking of getting the DVD-box when it comes out, I really hope that it's included in that.

javinian

Post by javinian » May 25th, '07, 17:19

celticmoon wrote:I'm sure that NTV has been getting lots of complaints about the cancellation of the episode. However, I have a feeling that they would have gotten complaints even if they aired it, especially since last Tuesday was the day of the memorial ceremony (or something of the sort) of the victim in the hostage case.

I really hope that the episode isn't cancelled for good. And since I'm thinking of getting the DVD-box when it comes out, I really hope that it's included in that.
What also sucks are the fact that this drama is not doing so well in the ratings so the chances of definitive cancellation are higher (because it's not such of a big deal if the audience is poor).

Anyways, if the episodes are not aired in the original order, that might just waste the thing since the producer promised Episode 7 would contain pretty important character developments, and now it may not even be shown at all.

Anyways, let's look at the bright side: the drama is getting some free promotion with that.

Liantasse

Post by Liantasse » May 25th, '07, 20:01

:( Could it really be that they will never air the episode? And has it really ever happened for a drama to be cancelled while it was airing, for whatever reason, not just bad ratings? I mean, have there really been such cases and how frequent are they? I would appreciate it if someone could share some information on this!

javinian

Post by javinian » May 25th, '07, 20:03

good question

celticmoon

Post by celticmoon » May 26th, '07, 06:43

I'm pretty sure cases in which dramas just being cancelled without a proper conclusion is extremely rare. I think I've heard of one case, but I can't remember what it was... (Unless I'm making this up without knowing... Lol.) The most extreme case of a drama being cut short due to ratings I know of is the drama 'Ginza no Koi' from 2002; the drama was originally planned to be eleven episodes, but due to bad ratings, they edited the story and ended it at seven.

However, for 'Sexy Voice and Robo,' we shouldn't have to worry about that, as it seems that, according to the P-diary on the official website, they are going through with the tenth and eleventh episodes.

But I guess this doesn't really answer your questions.... All we can do is hope that they will eventually broadcast the episode on television. NTV actually did a similar thing with their anime, 'Black Jack' a year or two ago. One of the episodes was to feature a earthquake, but due to a fairly large earthquake that hit Hokkaido before the episode aired, they scrapped the episode. I read somewhere that the episode was eventually aired about a year later, as a replacement for a cancelled baseball game. (However, I don't remember if this information came from a reliable source, but I don't see much reason to not believe it.) So anyway... We just gotta hope.
javinian wrote:What also sucks are the fact that this drama is not doing so well in the ratings so the chances of definitive cancellation are higher (because it's not such of a big deal if the audience is poor).

Anyways, if the episodes are not aired in the original order, that might just waste the thing since the producer promised Episode 7 would contain pretty important character developments, and now it may not even be shown at all.
Yeah. I'm actually wondering if they would have cancelled the episode at all if the drama was achieving ratings of 15%+ or so.

And yeah, it did seem like there would be some interesting developments--I mean, this was the first time that all of the regular cast would be in the same situation. And according to the P-diary, it seems that Nico and Robo were to develop an even closer relationship with each other, based on the fact that they had the same birthday. We'll probably feel like we're missing a little something in the episodes to come, but I'm not gonna hold my breath and wait for episode seven to air before viewing the last four episodes.

javinian

Post by javinian » May 26th, '07, 10:38

Couldnt they just postpone the 7th episode until the next week? :lol

celticmoon

Post by celticmoon » May 26th, '07, 20:38

They would probably want to leave more time than just one extra week... But I guess all we can do right now is look forward to episode 8. The plot seems really interesting, and the guests for the episode are probably the most well-known since Nakamura Shidou.

javinian

Post by javinian » May 27th, '07, 02:05

celticmoon wrote:They would probably want to leave more time than just one extra week... But I guess all we can do right now is look forward to episode 8. The plot seems really interesting, and the guests for the episode are probably the most well-known since Nakamura Shidou.
You just made me realize that he's the one playing in ima ai ni yukimasu (movie version).

Yuu Kashii is pretty famous too (special guest in 3rd epo)

hani_and_kuroba

Post by hani_and_kuroba » May 30th, '07, 06:42

spoiler question for episode 8 that i just finished watching -
is anyone surprised at the attachment niko is showing? for some reason it surprised me. i didnt really get a sense of it at all in the previous episodes, other than they getting along really well. i'm wondering if this cancelled episode 7 might have showed some first hints of it. or were there any hints in any previous episodes?

celticmoon

Post by celticmoon » May 30th, '07, 17:44

Episode 8 was pretty good. Can't wait to see episode 9. However, I'm a little disappointed that both episodes 6 and 8 didn't have any stop-motion scenes. Lol. I liked those scenes.
hani_and_kuroba wrote:spoiler question for episode 8 that i just finished watching -
is anyone surprised at the attachment niko is showing? for some reason it surprised me. i didnt really get a sense of it at all in the previous episodes, other than they getting along really well. i'm wondering if this cancelled episode 7 might have showed some first hints of it. or were there any hints in any previous episodes?
Looking at some other message boards and BBSs, it seems like quite a few people are surprised by this, but to be honest, I didn't think it was too strange or surprising. I think a lot of it came from the fact that someone she thought was so close to her suddenly went to a place that was out of her reach. But with that said, according to the producer's diary on the offical website, in episode 7, Nico and Robo were to have further developments in their relationship. So we definitely may be missing something from episode 7.

javinian

Post by javinian » May 30th, '07, 17:46

That's what i was fearing the most: that some important stuff in 7th epo were skipped so some stuff in the following epos won't really make sense.

lzydata

The excellent ep8

Post by lzydata » May 31st, '07, 03:59

celticmoon wrote:Episode 8 was pretty good. Can't wait to see episode 9. However, I'm a little disappointed that both episodes 6 and 8 didn't have any stop-motion scenes. Lol. I liked those scenes.
Heh, I liked ep2's cosplay, but it looks like there won't be another chance for it.
hani_and_kuroba wrote:spoiler question for episode 8 that i just finished watching -
I've just finished watching it too. Wow, what an amazing episode - the culmination of everything's that's gone on before, and a truly hard act to follow. I wonder not so much about what ep9 will be like but about how ep10 and 11 will conclude. Come to think of it, they were pretty cunning not to show any images from ep9 in the preview.

Anyway here's my interpretation of the episode that may make it less mysterious and surprising :)
Niko's always felt different from her peers and loved ones, more mature, more detached - "switched off", in ep8's formulation. She's said in voiceover that it's silly for her classmates and Kazumi to be so attached to their puppy-love boyfriends. But she's been changed by all those missions and the people she meets (e.g. ZI, the one played by Ryo). At the end of ep6 she tells her family she doesn't want anything for her birthday, but what she means is she wants nothing to change, so they continue looking after her and being there for her. I'm guessing that ep7 deepened her emotional connection with Robo because it turned out that they share the same birthday and also the whole business of being taken hostage in the famiresu. (Sigh, now I really miss watching it...) Now at the beginning of ep8 she notes everyone rushed to the hospital upon hearing that her great-grandfather's in danger, but nobody cried. She wonders whether it's normal and right for her to be more concerned about her TV program not getting recorded than about her great-grandfather's impending death.

To be honest, in my mind, Niko's kind of naive, even selfish, to simply want the things and people around her to remain the same for her. In Robo's case, that would mean that he comes whenever she asks him for help, without hesitation and without ever asking why, and that he essentially has no life except his otaku hobby and being a chauffeur-cum-logistics officer for their missions. Now that Robo has got this new thing going with Shoko she feels shut out and even jealous, except that she deflects this towards Kazumi ("That obasan?? What the hell is he thinking?! Kazumi-chan's 100 times cuter than her!"). Niko's narration towards the end is an amazing climax where she manages to confess her "love" without actually saying it. (Maybe she doesn't recognize it as such, yet.) This is a huge move for Robo too, since he's abandoning his facile love for Max Robo and all that "fiction" to be with the painful "reality" personified by Shoko.

「私だってリアルに苦しいよ。
 ロボ!!」

celticmoon

Re: The excellent ep8

Post by celticmoon » May 31st, '07, 07:00

Nice analysis. :)
lzydata wrote: Come to think of it, they were pretty cunning not to show any images from ep9 in the preview.
I'm actually worried about the fact that they didn't show any scenes from ep9 in the preview... Could it be possible that they haven't filmed it yet? Lol. It seems like the staff and cast have been on a pretty tight schedule, so I actually wouldn't be too surprised.

lzydata

Re: The excellent ep8

Post by lzydata » May 31st, '07, 15:11

celticmoon wrote:Nice analysis. :)
lzydata wrote: Come to think of it, they were pretty cunning not to show any images from ep9 in the preview.
I'm actually worried about the fact that they didn't show any scenes from ep9 in the preview... Could it be possible that they haven't filmed it yet? Lol. It seems like the staff and cast have been on a pretty tight schedule, so I actually wouldn't be too surprised.
You may be right. Come to think of it, it was like Monday that Tomosaka Rie posted on her blog saying that she had just gotten the pictured ep9 script, but I sort of assumed she took it sometime before.

http://ameblo.jp/tomosaka-rie/entry-10034989330.html

I didn't start following her blog specially because of Sekurobo - during last season's "Kontsuma", actually - but it's nice to get small updates about the show through these alternative channels.

javinian

Post by javinian » May 31st, '07, 21:22

This 8th episode blew my mind. The time before the next episode is kind of hurting!!

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » Jun 1st, '07, 08:30

ep8 the story is so funny lol..

celticmoon

Post by celticmoon » Jun 7th, '07, 10:28

Anyone watch episode nine yet? Although I didn't think it was as great as episode eight, I still thought it was pretty great. I especially liked the bench scene at the end, and Robo's line, 'Kanashii nioi ga suru..."

And I can't believe that this time they didn't even have a preview for the next episode! That definitely can't help the drama's already horrendous ratings. But looking at the plot summary on the official website, it seems like episode ten will be pretty interesting.

javinian

Post by javinian » Jun 7th, '07, 10:30

celticmoon wrote:Anyone watch episode nine yet? Although I didn't think it was as great as episode eight, I still thought it was pretty great. I especially liked the bench scene at the end, and Robo's line, 'Kanashii nioi ga suru..."

And I can't believe that this time they didn't even have a preview for the next episode! That definitely can't help the drama's already horrendous ratings. But looking at the plot summary on the official website, it seems like episode ten will be pretty interesting.
I didn't, still waiting for the subs. :cry:

lzydata

Post by lzydata » Jun 13th, '07, 03:46

celticmoon wrote:Anyone watch episode nine yet? Although I didn't think it was as great as episode eight, I still thought it was pretty great. I especially liked the bench scene at the end, and Robo's line, 'Kanashii nioi ga suru..."

Yes I have! (Now waiting for ep 10 to be uploaded...)
The bench scene was nice - great backdrop - but I thought it was too short. Niko's monologues were great as always. But what I loved about this episode was the part where Niko's dad suggests to her that prayers are more like promises made between oneself and the kamisama, because it's not reliable enough to make promises with yourself on things you want to do. So true! This is the sort of thing that will stay with me long after all these assassin stories fade away :)
By the way, has anyone looked at the website's synopses for eps 10 and 11? I've tried translating them below, but it feels strange so I'll be grateful for any corrections or suggestions.
Ep10 "Sachiko": Makina and Nanashi come to Niko's house and ask to adopt her for 200m yen. Although Niko firmly rejects them, Kazumi, Takeo and Yukie don't seem to be too dissatisfied with the figure offered.

Meanwhile, Robo is suddenly taken by men clad in black to see the super-popular manga artist Shinoda Kon. Shinoda has had his fortune told, he begins, and it turns out that in his next life he will be Niko's child. In the middle of this, a great blackout strikes the streets...

Ep11 "Robo": Robo receives an order from Makina to get rid of a ghost haunting a particular hotel. Although for a moment Robo flatly refuses to get involved with ghosts and such things, he reluctantly agrees, and enters the rumored hotel with Niko.

As it happens, the "ghost" there, unbelievably, is Mikkabouzu (Nakamura Shido, from ep1), who had died some 3 months ago but doesn't understand that he's already dead. It falls on Robo and Niko to explain the "truth" to him...
Update: Corrected some small mistakes.
Last edited by lzydata on Jun 15th, '07, 08:24, edited 1 time in total.