HELP with .rmvb files and softsubs on a MAC !!!

Read the FAQ in here first then post your questions here if it doesn't help you.
Darkdrakan

HELP with .rmvb files and softsubs on a MAC !!!

Post by Darkdrakan » Apr 21st, '06, 08:19

I'm trying to give a friend ISWAK (which some of you may know are all .rmvbs) but she has a MAC which I'm having trouble finding a suitable media player for. I kno real player is out for MAC OS but it can't play files with a .srt file. I tried converting it to a NTSC Mpeg but after converting it the .srt file doesn't work (it says the hour long episode is only 13 mins long). I've also tried converting the .rmvb files into other mpegs and .avis but the quality significantly decreases afterward. Can anyone help me out here?

kokko8

Post by kokko8 » Apr 21st, '06, 08:31

I've the same issue (I'm with a mac too) :(
Please help us! ^^
I tried Mplayer and it didn't worked too...

Camui

Post by Camui » Apr 21st, '06, 08:34

In that case a search I just did may hold the solution I hope. A subtitle plug-in for real player so you it can play .srt files. http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia ... ayer.shtml

*edit* Okay, I didn't read the whole thing, it SAYS it only works with .avi movies.

kokko8

Post by kokko8 » Apr 21st, '06, 08:43

Anyway, thx for your time!

Camui

Post by Camui » Apr 21st, '06, 08:58

I've found two other media players. VLC Media Player for Mac and Windows Media Player 7.1 for for Mac OS 8.1-9x. Though from what I understand the can't play .rmvb with subs.

http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopi ... db5#411552
Someone else asked this same questiion there. You might have a better chance asking there, since it's already an established thread. I'll spend a few more minutes looking.
Last edited by Camui on Apr 21st, '06, 09:26, edited 1 time in total.

kokko8

Post by kokko8 » Apr 21st, '06, 09:01

I use VLC (to play 90% of my files) but MPC is a Windoze only app :)
I'll check your link!

THX.

Darkdrakan

Post by Darkdrakan » Apr 21st, '06, 09:05

yea i should add i've tried VLC, Chroma, and mplayer too. NOTHING WORKS!!!

sbungier

Viewing subtitles and movies files on a MAC

Post by sbungier » Apr 21st, '06, 09:07

Hey People, I am on a mac and when I download dramas from here I do two things and it works great

first you will need:

ffmpegX
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/8988
to convert the file (to be able to hear the audio)

Cellulo
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/8940
to view the softsub subtitles

They are both pretty easy to use (just drag and drop)

Hope this helps!

Camui

Post by Camui » Apr 21st, '06, 09:10

sbungier~~ :P You beat me to it. I just found ffmpegX. :lol

Darkdrakan

Post by Darkdrakan » Apr 21st, '06, 09:15

Camui wrote:I've found two other media players. VLC Media Player for Mac and MPC for Mac. Though from what I understand the can't play .rmvb with subs.

http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopi ... db5#411552
Someone else asked this same questiion there. You might have a better chance asking there, since it's already an established thread. I'll spend a few more minutes looking.
Thanks but i think a lot of ppl in that thread are working specifically with windows whereas this deals with MACs. On a side note, I got a .rmvb to play on Windows Media player (maybe because i have the alternative codecs installed?) and i can use VobSub to view the subtitles. i was excited for a second until I realized that VobSub doesn't work on MACs ( i use windows)

Camui

Post by Camui » Apr 21st, '06, 09:25

You're welcome, and I know. I only suggested it so there was more demand in the same place. Since at least one other person was a mac user.

kokko8~~ It's not windows only....Oh here is the link for Windows Media Player 9 for Mac OS X: http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads. ... ysreq=True
Last edited by Camui on Apr 21st, '06, 09:28, edited 1 time in total.

Darkdrakan

Re: Viewing subtitles and movies files on a MAC

Post by Darkdrakan » Apr 21st, '06, 09:26

sbungier wrote:Hey People, I am on a mac and when I download dramas from here I do two things and it works great

first you will need:

ffmpegX
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/8988
to convert the file (to be able to hear the audio)

Cellulo
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/8940
to view the softsub subtitles

They are both pretty easy to use (just drag and drop)

Hope this helps!
I tried using ffmpegx with little success. When I tried to install on my friend's computer I didn't know his login password that the program asks for so i cancelled it but i still showed up (weird huh). So i tried to encode the rmvb file i sent to him to a mpeg4 avi but nothing showed up. If you can write me a little tutorial on how to use it correctly it'll be greatly appreciated.

sbungier

Post by sbungier » Apr 21st, '06, 09:34

Here is an online tutorial for ffmpegX

http://homepage.mac.com/major4/

Dont know too much about rmvb files....I dont use Real Player try converting the file to a .mov or .mp4 and not an .avi the default player on macs is quicktime and it usually has a problem with .avi files

but the tutorial should help[/quote]

Camui

Post by Camui » Apr 21st, '06, 09:41

sbungier~~ Flipmac should solve that problem for you, if you want to play them in quicktime.http://www.microsoft.com/windows/window ... nents.mspx

Darkdrakan

Post by Darkdrakan » Apr 21st, '06, 09:48

sbungier wrote:Here is an online tutorial for ffmpegX

http://homepage.mac.com/major4/

Dont know too much about rmvb files....I dont use Real Player try converting the file to a .mov or .mp4 and not an .avi the default player on macs is quicktime and it usually has a problem with .avi files

but the tutorial should help
[/quote]

Nope. No luck. It won't let me convert to mpegs or .movs. It lets me convert to .avis and a thing called a .dv file but they don't show up where they're supposed to after it says it is finished encoding. and it encodes in like a second which doesn't seem like its working right.

Camui

Post by Camui » Apr 21st, '06, 09:52

Darkdrakan wrote:Thanks but i think a lot of ppl in that thread are working specifically with windows whereas this deals with MACs.
By the way, I'd also suggested that because it's the same topic, and the thread was general. Not specified. A mod could be torn two ways in regards to this. Leaving it and the other as two seperate threads or merging them. :-)

albarosa

.rmvb and .srt subtitles on OS X

Post by albarosa » Jun 19th, '06, 03:09

I recently downloaded the drama It Started with a Kiss, but unfortunately, I found that the files were in .rmvb format, denying use of an actual good media player such as MPlayer, and forcing me to use the unreliable RealPlayer. I tried both VLC and MPlayer and neither would open it so I used RealPlayer only to find that I am unable to use the included .srt subtitle files. Well, I've searched the forums and decided that I would use RealPlayer Alternative or Media Player Classic. Most people on here are probably satisfied with that as they use Windows, but I do not use Windows. I have tried searching for some kind of alternative RealPlayer for OS X, but there doesn't seem to be one available. The only solutions I have come across are just to download RealPlayer Alternative or Media Player Classic, as I thought of myself. I have a feeling as one of the few Mac users on earth, that there is nothing I can do, but if anyone knows a way to watch a .rmvb file with .srt subtitles on OS X, please tell me. Thank you very much.

habukie
AiRen
AiRen

Re: .rmvb and .srt subtitles on OS X

Post by habukie » Jun 19th, '06, 04:02

albarosa wrote:I recently downloaded the drama It Started with a Kiss, but unfortunately, I found that the files were in .rmvb format, denying use of an actual good media player such as MPlayer, and forcing me to use the unreliable RealPlayer. I tried both VLC and MPlayer and neither would open it so I used RealPlayer only to find that I am unable to use the included .srt subtitle files. Well, I've searched the forums and decided that I would use RealPlayer Alternative or Media Player Classic. Most people on here are probably satisfied with that as they use Windows, but I do not use Windows. I have tried searching for some kind of alternative RealPlayer for OS X, but there doesn't seem to be one available. The only solutions I have come across are just to download RealPlayer Alternative or Media Player Classic, as I thought of myself. I have a feeling as one of the few Mac users on earth, that there is nothing I can do, but if anyone knows a way to watch a .rmvb file with .srt subtitles on OS X, please tell me. Thank you very much.
http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_32748.htm
it seems like you're not the only one. :D maybe some of those ideas mentioned there will help.

albarosa

Post by albarosa » Jun 19th, '06, 05:57

Unfortunately, the people on that thread seem to have the same unresolvable problem.. It really is unfortunate that it is in the .rmvb format in the first place. Including .wmv, that is probably one of the worst video formats available. MPlayer and VLC, which I both use regularly, support subtitle files, but RealPlayer does not. It is not comforting that VLC cannot even play it; it usually plays everything. If it is real media, I don't think I can do anything about soft subs. Why does this have to happen to me the one time I download a drama in a language I do not understand..? I don't believe that there is a RealPlayer alternative for Mac, although I would like to know if there is. Another option would be converting to .avi, but I'm not sure if that's entirely possible using OS X. There may be a weird application out there that does that. I have tried using Quicktime Pro, but that does not even open the file.. Wow. I really don't know if there is anything I can do, but if anyone has an idea, please let me know.

habukie
AiRen
AiRen

Post by habukie » Jun 19th, '06, 06:13

albarosa wrote:Unfortunately, the people on that thread seem to have the same unresolvable problem.. It really is unfortunate that it is in the .rmvb format in the first place. Including .wmv, that is probably one of the worst video formats available. MPlayer and VLC, which I both use regularly, support subtitle files, but RealPlayer does not. It is not comforting that VLC cannot even play it; it usually plays everything. If it is real media, I don't think I can do anything about soft subs. Why does this have to happen to me the one time I download a drama in a language I do not understand..? I don't believe that there is a RealPlayer alternative for Mac, although I would like to know if there is. Another option would be converting to .avi, but I'm not sure if that's entirely possible using OS X. There may be a weird application out there that does that. I have tried using Quicktime Pro, but that does not even open the file.. Wow. I really don't know if there is anything I can do, but if anyone has an idea, please let me know.
so the method mentioned in this post doesn't work? i guess your other option is to get the HQ .avi files - whether by bt or CB.

scott12199

Post by scott12199 » Jun 19th, '06, 23:44

there is an expensive solution for you...
the expensive solution is to buy virtual pc with windows xp and install real alternative... lolz :D

koulen

Post by koulen » Jun 19th, '06, 23:48

scott12199 wrote:there is an expensive solution for you...
the expensive solution is to buy virtual pc with windows xp and install real alternative... lolz :D

Virtual PC doesn't work with Mac Intel base.....

scott12199

Post by scott12199 » Jun 20th, '06, 00:17

koulen wrote:
scott12199 wrote:there is an expensive solution for you...

Virtual PC doesn't work with Mac Intel base.....
if im correct you dont need virtual pc for mac intel base.

Will an Intel-based Mac run Windows?

Yes! On April 5, 2006, Apple made a public preview of Boot Camp available (press release, FAQ), a Windows dual boot solution that allows the use of Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) on all Intel-based Macs. Apple also provides Windows drivers for the hardware specific to Intel-based Macs, for items such as ethernet, wireless, video, and so on. The Windows environment runs at full speed, and can even be used for modern high-end games and other graphics intensive software, or any software at all that runs under Windows XP. Boot Camp will be a standard part of Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard).

if her computer is the old mac running on the os x then her solution is virtual pc 7 with windows xp for mac os x

if she has a mac intel base computer, she doesnt need virtual pc.

now her job is to find out if her mac is intel base or not... :salut:

albarosa

Post by albarosa » Jun 20th, '06, 05:42

Yes, I have tried using ffmpegX before. Seems pretty unreliable, and it didn't do anything for me. Same result as the people on that other thread. Nothing, basically.

And yes, Intel-based macs can run Windows, but there are several problems.

1) I hate Windows.
2) You still have to purchase Windows. And assuming that I don't steal it, just buying the DVDs of the drama would be cheaper.
3) Although using Windows through my Mac would theoretically work, it's still relying on windows. I want to find out if there is a way that I can view real media with subtitles on OS X. There is a reason I use it, or else I would have a Windows machine.
4) Too bad. I have an iMac from 2004, so I can't even use Windows on my Mac anyway.

So when I say Mac, I mean one specifically running OS X. Running Windows on it just makes it a white PC, and doesn't actually solve the problem. Oh yeah, and that virtual PC thing, besides being just another road to Windows, is very slow and probably would not suffice for any decent video viewing. Actually, I think I could buy a separate Windows computer with the amount of money for that software... So, if anyone has any native OS X solutions, please let me know. Maybe I should just learn Mandarin...

habukie
AiRen
AiRen

Post by habukie » Jun 20th, '06, 06:32

^^too bad. well, it sounds like downloading the DVD-rips is your only option, then. it's certainly easier than learning Mandarin. :-)

scott12199

Post by scott12199 » Jun 20th, '06, 08:21

habukie wrote:^^too bad. well, it sounds like downloading the DVD-rips is your only option, then. it's certainly easier than learning Mandarin. :-)
i second that... too bad. i gave you the only solutions out there but you happen to not like it. so, it is time for you to go buy the dvds or spend 5 years in a computer science course and develop your very own rmvb to avi converter for mac.

albarosa

Post by albarosa » Jun 20th, '06, 23:08

Yeah, or I could buy a Windows PC... Sorry, but I was looking for a solution that would work natively in OS X. I'm not too desperate, but its just irritating I can't find a viable solution. Well I have the files at least, so maybe I will come back to them in five years, if I learn any Mandarin. I think spending time doing that is much more worthwhile than spending time trying to design a program to convert a file format already rendered obsolete by animated gifs. Or maybe Real will come out with a half-decent player within the next five years. That won't happen... Well anyway, thank you to everyone who has helped so far. It doesn't look hopeful, but if anyone has a solution, please tell me. Thank you.

mt877

Post by mt877 » Jul 15th, '06, 05:46

I didn't see this thread before... but I think I can help out here.

I've used ffmpegX to convert rmvb to avi and encoded srt softsub to hardsub.

Install the latest version of ffmpegX, also install the latest approved versions of mencoder, mplayer and mpeg2enc. On the ffmpegX download page, there are instructions to download the latest "Helix DNA" package. That is no longer possible, since the Mac binaries are no longer offered for download from the Helix DNA download site. Instead download the "stable" version of "reallib". After downloading and extracting reallib, copy the extracted "reallib" folder into /Library/Application Support/ffmpegX folder.

These next steps are crucial. You must rename the file extension of your RealMedia file from abc.rmvb to abc.rm, or the transcoding will fail, this is guaranteed. Now you can open the abc.rm file with ffmpegX. Do not try to test play the loaded file with ffmpegX by clicking the play button, more than likely mplayer will open momentarily and then crash. That will make you think that you didn't install the reallib folder correctly. Make sure you only use mencoder when transcoding RealMedia files. Only use "MPEG4 [.AVI] (mencoder)" or "XVID [.AVI] (mencoder)" for the video settings, the other mencoder selections will appear to encode, but you may end up with a file that has only audio or green screen and no audio.

Ok, after you've loaded the abc.rm file, selected a mencoder codec, setup the audio parameters, now click the Filter button and click load subs button and select your text based subtitle file (abc.srt). You can click on the Options button and setup quality, scaling method (bicubic) and other settings. Now click Encode, a progress window should open. If the progress bar finishes in like 2 seconds, that means the transcoding failed. As an example, that would happen if you didn't rename the file extension from .rmvb to .rm.

Ok, well a little long winded here, but hope that helps.

dhmylene

Post by dhmylene » Jan 3rd, '07, 16:58

Just share information for watching episodes on the computer that the latest version of RealPlayer 10 supports subtitle (.SRT).
(For Windows and Macintosh)

To enable feature(s):
1. Open RealPlayer, and click the Tools menu, then Preferences. The Preferences box opens.
2. In the Category pane, click Content.
- Subtitle
- Use supplemental text captioning when available
- Use descriptive audio when available
4. Click OK.

loveWG

Post by loveWG » Mar 8th, '07, 19:59

^ Oh finally, THANK YOU

releanoyed

Post by releanoyed » Mar 23rd, '07, 02:40

I tried changing the settings in Real Player but it still is not adding the subtitles despite being in the same folder and having the same name as the video file. It is no big deal to me however since I was able follow MT877 advice and used ffmpegX to convert the .rm files to .avi. Takes longer but it is actually a better solution for me as the Real files often played back choppy on my television.

Many many thanks to MT877 for taking the time to write up those instructions. They saved me quite a bit of legwork figuring it all out.

One note though, I have newer intel x86 based Mac. Because of this I had to follow the advice of another forum when it came to the part about what should be in the "reallib" folder that is placed in the Library/Application Support/mmpegX folder. The intructions I used were to go to the mplayer main website (www.mplayerhq.hu) and click on downloads. Scroll down to the "Binary Codec Package" section and download the package "Mac OS X x86 20060611". Inside this zip file you'll find the installer that will install the library files in usr/local/lib. Open the installer and proceed with the installation.
On the Finder bar at the top of your screen choose "Go to folder..." in the "Go" dropdown menu. Type: /usr/local/lib and press return. This will open a new window where you will find a "codecs" folder containing the Real binaries. Copy this folder in Library/Application Support/ffmpegX and rename it "reallib" (don't forget the two L).

Again much thanks to MT877 you really saved the day for us a couple of dramas we have been waiting to watch.

mak2k

Post by mak2k » Mar 30th, '07, 03:33

i still can't seem to get it working.. i followed both releanoyed and MT877 instructions and it still didn't work.

MT877's instruction freezes ffmpeg when i try to load the .rm file. relanoyed's instruction works until it tries to encode. this is my log file:
Encoding started on Thu Mar 29 23:48:06 EDT 2007
FIXME:Hardenabling SSE and SSE2 without detection
MEncoder dev-CVS-060307-04:23-4.0.1 (C) 2000-2006 MPlayer Team
Mac OSX static build for ffmpegX
CPU: Intel (Family: 6, Stepping: 6)
CPUflags: Type: 6 MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1 SSE2: 1
Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX MMX2 SSE SSE2
success: format: 0 data: 0x0 - 0x17882af2
REAL file format detected.
Stream description: Audio Stream
Stream mimetype: audio/x-pn-realaudio
Stream description: Video Stream
Stream mimetype: video/x-pn-realvideo
Stream mimetype: logical-fileinfo
VIDEO: [RV40] 704x528 24bpp 30.000 fps 0.0 kbps ( 0.0 kbyte/s)
[V] filefmt:11 fourcc:0x30345652 size:704x528 fps:30.00 ftime:=0.0333
==========================================================================
Error: dlopen(/Library/Application Support/ffmpegX/reallib/drvc.so, 1): image not found
odec audio decoders
AUDIO: 44100 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 64.1 kbit/4.54% (ratio: 8010->176400)
Selected audio codec: [ffcook] afm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg COOK audio decoder)
Opening video filter: [expand osd=1]
Expand: -1 x -1, -1 ; -1, osd: 1, aspect: 0.000000, round: 1
Opening video filter: [scale w=704 h=528]
Opening video decoder: [realvid] RealVideo decoder
Error: dlopen(/Library/Application Support/ffmpegX/reallib/drv4.so.6.0, 1): image not found
ealVideo section of the DOCS!
VDecoder init failed :(
Read the RealVideo section of the DOCS!
Read the RealVideo section of the DOCS!
Selected video codec: [rv40mac] vfm: realvid (Mac OS X RealPlayer 9 RV40 decoder)
MP3 audio selected
rcc to 58564944 [DIVX]
VDec: vo config request - 704 x 480 (preferred colorspace: Planar I420)
VDec: using Planar I420 as output csp (no 0)
Movie-Aspect is 1.33:1 - prescaling to correct movie aspect.

releanoyed

Post by releanoyed » Mar 30th, '07, 08:00

Aaargh, I'm useless for getting info from log reports.

First off, I cannot stress the importance of MT877's instruction to only use the mencoder file types for your output file, but assuming that you followed those instructions I'm not sure what went wrong. I've used the program about 20 times this week with no problems.

The first thing I would check is codecs ended up when they should be and under the right name. Remember all you do is take the folder that was named "codecs" (that pops up when you search usr/local/lib with the "Go To Folder Box") and make a copy of it. You move the the copy into Mac HD (or whatever you have renamed it)/Library/Application Support/ffmpegX and rename the copy "reallib" .
So looking now to check mine I just opened a Finder window, clicked on the HD icon, double clicked on the library folder, double clicked the application support folder, double clicked the mmpegX folder and I can see the reallib folder. If you you check there and and that is not where it is, move it there.

Remember, you do not do anything to the contents of the codec folder, just copy, move, and rename the folder as a whole.

I happen to be helping to install the program into a friend's Mac tomorrow or saturday, I'll report if I have any problems with his and how we (hopefully) will have solved them.

Hope I can help.

releanoyed

Post by releanoyed » Mar 31st, '07, 05:12

I installed ffmpegX onto another intel Mac (an iMac this time) an still did not have any problems. The only way I was able to induce an error was to not rename a .rmvb file as .rm before dropping it into ffmpegX, but the error log is entirely different in that case.

Wish I had better advice. About all I can add is that anybody not able to make the install work is welcome to pm me about setting up an online realtime walkthrough of an install if they really need to get the program workng. I know without it here are several shows I would not be able to watch do to Mac's and my modded Xbox's iffy real media support.

caruialiel

Post by caruialiel » Jun 5th, '07, 16:41

hi i have followed the instructions left by those about the ffmpegX application.

My problem is is when I put the file I want to change into an .avi file and follow all that. I click on "encode" and the progress window doesn't show any progress, it just has the blue/white moving right continuously. However, if i cancel the conversion. THere will still be an ,avi file that will be various XX.MB etc and will work.

I am wondering how to make it seem like it is working, and for the process window to actually show me the progress of the conversion.

for the moment, I am leaving it to see if it will just finish on its own.

any help would be very muchly appreciated

Thanks

cassiopea

Post by cassiopea » Jun 5th, '07, 16:43

Just let it run. I noticed the same thing, but when I left it alone it finished just fine.

caruialiel

Post by caruialiel » Jun 5th, '07, 17:22

ok I got it to work then on my mum's computer.

I am now trying to get it all working on my laptop

but unfortunately, whenever I try to add a blah.rm file to be converted the whole application freezes on me. And doesn't respond.

Is anyone able to explain why this happens? The file isn't very big, only 29mb. Does this happen with corrupt files, but then, the video works etc fine.

help would be very much appreciated! thanks again!

releanoyed

Post by releanoyed » Jun 8th, '07, 15:47

I'd need more specific info on exactly when in the process the application locks up to try and recreate the conditions. For example, is the app. freezing right when you drop the .rm file in the "from" box, but before choosing a file type for the "to" box, changing the scaling method under the options tab, and hitting encode? Or is the app. freezing at a later stage of the process, such as after hitting encode? If it is happening after hitting encode, the first thing that comes to mind is making sure that the target file type you select for the "to" box is a mencoder type. If it is not a mencoder type then you will almost certainly have a application freeze.

If that is no help feel free to post or pm a walk though of what exact steps lead to the freeze and I'll try to work up a solution.

caruialiel

Post by caruialiel » Jun 9th, '07, 11:28

ok

I am trying to install this program on to my macBook.

I followed all the steps that was listed, making sure that the reallib folder was put in the ffmpegX application support folder.

But when I open the program and click on "open" i only can get so far as highlighting the file i wish to convert and attempt to click on "choose". Once I click on choose, the whole program doesn't respond and I have to force quit. The same thing occurs when I try to drag and drop the file into the program, the whole thing freezes.

I have looked on the net and found only one question that was similar to mine. however, the person who responded only said to make sure that is .rm which the extension is. I checked the file in the Get Info section.

I am wondering if because it is a laptop that it isn't working. Since when I installed it all on my mum's mac it worked.

thanks!

applebear

Post by applebear » Jun 10th, '07, 21:48

I'm having the same exact problem as caruialiel. I am also using a MacBook...

I don't seem to have a problem with changing an .avi to a .mov, although I didn't let it finish...

I've even tried to select what I want to change the file to before dropping(choosing) the .rm file into the program. It automatically quits responding. I'm tired of force quitting, lol

If there are anymore suggestions on how to get it to work...

:scratch:

So confizzled!

Thanks for any help, in advance!

releanoyed

Post by releanoyed » Jun 11th, '07, 21:45

The issue is not that you are using a Macbook. Although I have installed and used the program on a IMac and a MacBook, the MacBook is actually the computer I use to convert files nine times out of ten. I have a friend with another Macbook who wanted me to install ffmpegx onto his computers. I'll try to get over to his place and do it this week, that will give me a chance to try and figure out if there is anything missing in the instructions that might help you all out. I'll post as soon as I have any new info.

Simpleeme88

Post by Simpleeme88 » Jun 27th, '07, 04:53

Hey CR members!

Dude, I am getting real frustrated with all of these codecs, media player, etc...I am new to these computer/media terms..I have no clue on what to do now, except posting this message of my concern. Okay, I have a MAC, too. I know nada(nothing) about the MAC, except it's suppose to be a great computer. I didn't want to buy the tutorial cd from the APPLE store, because it costed too much for me.

So, let me explain to you what I have, and you tell me what else I need, okay? Thanks.

Okay, I have downloaded the VideoLAN, CHROMA, QuickTime, Cellulo 2.0.1, and Limewire(this limewire thing-ma-bob doesn't carry the movies I want).

I "downloaded" the torrent file only...Now, I don't know what else to do..All I wanted, was being able to download a Cdrama/movie and being able to view it on my computer.....Sniff*sniff...:cry:

Please help...Many thanks to those, who helped by posting some useful infos on this forum.

-LOVE,
GG
:salut:

InTr4nceWeTrust
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by InTr4nceWeTrust » Jun 27th, '07, 22:09

@Simpleeme88
What's CR? What's GG? O_o
either way, read the FAQ
it will answer all your problems assuming you read it properly.

Simpleeme88

Post by Simpleeme88 » Jun 27th, '07, 23:41

InTr4nceWeTrust wrote:@Simpleeme88
What's CR? What's GG? O_o
either way, read the FAQ
it will answer all your problems assuming you read it properly.
Lol! Oops! Sorry, CR stands for CrunchyRoll...You know? Crunchy Roll.com....My bad, I was on like three different forums at the same time...And I accidentally wrote "CR" in this message.

Anywho, bud, I have already read the Tech FAQS...No help..Other than, doing some more research...I mean, I guess you can say I am not doing enough research, that's why I don't understand none of these terms...

But I did read a ton of wikipedia sources regarding these "bitorrent" infos...It still didn't help me.

I am new to this whole DOWNLOAD stuff...

Umm...If I downloaded a torrent file, how would I be able to convert it to another file, so, I'd be able to view it?

In the FAQS, all it says is that we need a client thing-ma-bob to be able to download the right file...Limewire is consider as one the clients listed in Wikipedia, however, I can not download it anyway...So, how would I do that? Like how would I be able to download the file through Limewire?

-thanks..

BTW, "GG" is my nicknm...As in, Gigi.

;)

Bye. Thanks for responding.

Simpleeme88

Post by Simpleeme88 » Jun 27th, '07, 23:44

mt877 wrote:I didn't see this thread before... but I think I can help out here.

I've used ffmpegX to convert rmvb to avi and encoded srt softsub to hardsub.

Install the latest version of ffmpegX, also install the latest approved versions of mencoder, mplayer and mpeg2enc. On the ffmpegX download page, there are instructions to download the latest "Helix DNA" package. That is no longer possible, since the Mac binaries are no longer offered for download from the Helix DNA download site. Instead download the "stable" version of "reallib". After downloading and extracting reallib, copy the extracted "reallib" folder into /Library/Application Support/ffmpegX folder.

These next steps are crucial. You must rename the file extension of your RealMedia file from abc.rmvb to abc.rm, or the transcoding will fail, this is guaranteed. Now you can open the abc.rm file with ffmpegX. Do not try to test play the loaded file with ffmpegX by clicking the play button, more than likely mplayer will open momentarily and then crash. That will make you think that you didn't install the reallib folder correctly. Make sure you only use mencoder when transcoding RealMedia files. Only use "MPEG4 [.AVI] (mencoder)" or "XVID [.AVI] (mencoder)" for the video settings, the other mencoder selections will appear to encode, but you may end up with a file that has only audio or green screen and no audio.

Ok, after you've loaded the abc.rm file, selected a mencoder codec, setup the audio parameters, now click the Filter button and click load subs button and select your text based subtitle file (abc.srt). You can click on the Options button and setup quality, scaling method (bicubic) and other settings. Now click Encode, a progress window should open. If the progress bar finishes in like 2 seconds, that means the transcoding failed. As an example, that would happen if you didn't rename the file extension from .rmvb to .rm.

Ok, well a little long winded here, but hope that helps.

Hey mt877,

I tried downloading all of those stuff..But the only problem is that I still can't download the "mpjeg tool" ma-bob....I kept on getting this script...or document...

I need help...Please....Thanks.

releanoyed

Post by releanoyed » Jun 29th, '07, 22:04

Simpleme88,

I'm not sure why your having a problem without a step by step explaination of what you have tried and without knowing what Mac you are using. All of which can seem overwhelming if your not overly familiar with computers. You may be able to bypass the whole problem by checking and seeing if the show you are trying to work with if posted to www.veoh.com. If so so you can just download the veoh player and the file from there and watch it. In case you do not know about Veoh it is similiar to utube but without the sucking. Like utube you can watch videos online in low quality but unlike them you can download the file in higher quality and watch using their player. I've noticed quite a lot of asian dramas popping up on their site recently.

Simpleeme88

Post by Simpleeme88 » Jul 1st, '07, 05:37

releanoyed wrote:Simpleme88,

I'm not sure why your having a problem without a step by step explaination of what you have tried and without knowing what Mac you are using. All of which can seem overwhelming if your not overly familiar with computers. You may be able to bypass the whole problem by checking and seeing if the show you are trying to work with if posted to www.veoh.com. If so so you can just download the veoh player and the file from there and watch it. In case you do not know about Veoh it is similiar to utube but without the sucking. Like utube you can watch videos online in low quality but unlike them you can download the file in higher quality and watch using their player. I've noticed quite a lot of asian dramas popping up on their site recently.
Thank you, sooooooooooo much for the great info! Once again, thanks! bye .

applebear

Post by applebear » Jul 6th, '07, 01:47

Just curious... releanoyed, did you ever try it out on your friend's laptop?

crzycpl

Post by crzycpl » Nov 23rd, '07, 00:23

hi all

i followed mt877's instructions. my problem is that i don't have a ffmegX folder in library/application support

should this be created automatically when i move the ffmegX into my applications folder?

please help!

i can run the rmvb file on my RealPlayer but can not get the .srt file to load at the same time - very frustrating

:salut:

coconyl

Post by coconyl » Dec 26th, '07, 08:46

Hi crzycpl,
I'm actually a Mac user and recently I have come across the same problem as you when I tried to watch the Tokyo Juliet. It was frustrated, I know. So I have been to a few website searching for a solution but mostly dead end. Anyway, I found a way to convert .rmvb by using ffmpegx successfully. Here is how:

You have to download them on the mplayer main website. Scroll down to the "Binary Codec Package" section and download the package "Mac OS X x86 20060611".

Inside the zip file you'll find the installer that will install the library files in usr/local/lib. Open the installer and proceed with the installation.

Under the finder choose "Go to folder..." in the "Go" menu. Type

/usr/local/lib

and press return. This will open a new window where you will find a "codecs" folder containing the Real binaries. Copy this folder in Library/Application Support/ffmpegX and rename it "reallib" (don't forget the two L). That should make it..

Don't forget to encode the file in "AVI DivX" (mencoder). That's it.

Here is a link http://forum.videohelp.com/topic322562.html in case you have further problem.

Actually I was successfully doing this until one day my Mac said I lost some files and eventually I couldn't restart the computer. I don't think it's the ffmpegx problem since i was doing something else on the computer too. But if this ever happen to you, don't panic. Just bring your Mac to an Apple store and have one of those Genius guys there reinstall the software for you. All you files will still be intact.

Anyhoo, if you think going thru all this is quite troublesome, you can alway watch the show online @ www.mysouju.com

I hope this help!

binny922

Post by binny922 » Feb 29th, '08, 07:02

Wow thanks for posting this I've been searching high and low to get rmvb to work...

But I have another problem, that once I got the subtitles to appear...they're out of sync with the audio. so i'm reading a conversation somewhere between 3 to 5 seconds later which isn't that bad but when you randomly get words popping up in silence it kind of throws you for a loop. I was wondering if anyone had any idea how to fix this. I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

gnossienneslent

Post by gnossienneslent » Mar 7th, '08, 13:44

Well, I don't see if the original poster of this thread got an answer, and I'm not sure if I get the problem, so I'm going to comment at will. You all might want to duck and cover...

I've never cared for Real player on macs or pcs. Have you played with UnRarX? You might give that a whirl.

Good luck.

releanoyed

Post by releanoyed » Jun 10th, '08, 06:27

mmpegx has worked for me but it has become clear that it is at best imperfect solution for a variety of reasons. First, and foremost although it installed and worked well for me many people have had less luck despite following all the steps precisely. Even when it works it is less than ideal because the conversion often causes a significant degradation in picture quality and it just takes a bunch of time to do the conversions. Luckily there appears to finally be a real solution to watching real files with softsubs on macs. Mplayer's most recent builds have worked quite well on my Macbook with real files and have the option to load softsubs. A few of things to bear in mind: 1. I have only used it on intel based macs running tiger or leopard versions of osX so I can't comment on performance with gseries macs or older os. 2. Mplayer does not recognize the subs automatically like some players. You must use the menus to choose and load subs yourself. On the up side the subs may be in a different location as the video file and have a different name unlike players such as vlc. 3. Installing Mplayers can seem like an onerous chore since it must be compiled by you. However, that is not really true. If you google Mplayer and find the website the download section will mention "unofficial builds" and have a link for them. If you pick the latest osX build it will be a nice ready to go .dmg that has the features needed for the real and subs playback. I hope this stands as a good solution for any who may need it.

doro1011

Post by doro1011 » Jul 5th, '08, 21:50

i tried mplayer, getting it from the "unofficial builds" section like you reccommended... it will play my avi files just fine, but for my rmvb files i only get audio... the video part never pops up. which version did you download/use?

i also tried to play my avi file w/ a sub file and the subs never showed up... (i manually opened the avi file and the sub file from w/in mplayer)... is there a special way to do it?

releanoyed

Post by releanoyed » Jul 5th, '08, 22:14

Sorry, I failed to mention one important step. Along with downloading the most recent unofficial build you need to download the binary codec package. Those are found on the main download page on mplayer's site. (the same page that the link to the unofficial builds is found) Just scroll down and pick the package appropriate for your mac and download. The installer will automatically put it in the right place for the mplayer build to access. Once you have done that real videos should play just fine. Sometimes mplayer doesn't seem to are if the names of the video file and sub file do not match and sometimes it does seem to care. If you are having problems I would make sure the names match and if not rename them to match. I have not done much with avi on mplayer. On my mac avi files tend to play more smoothly with vlc than with mplayer so I have only been using mplayer with real files.

doro1011

Post by doro1011 » Jul 5th, '08, 22:49

omg thank you so much!!! that was so much easier than trying to convert the files....