2007: My Sassy Girl REMAKE!

Anhyong haseyo. Post Korean related stuff here.
AmandaNguyen

2007: My Sassy Girl REMAKE!

Post by AmandaNguyen » Mar 3rd, '07, 04:07

There's going to be a My Sassy Girl remake! From Korean to English!

http://imdb.com/title/tt0404254/

It's currently in production! Any thoughts? :|

cunho

Post by cunho » Mar 3rd, '07, 04:29

Usually I don't like remake but some of these are better than the original ( the ring 2 for exemple) , should wait and see ! Even if I found the american remake of Infernal Affair wasn't as good as the original , it got the Oscar for best movie !

crazylife123
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by crazylife123 » Mar 3rd, '07, 04:49

just with the two leads, i think this movie is already average.

blackstarjr

Post by blackstarjr » Mar 3rd, '07, 05:08

Well the american versions kinda tend to be a bit subpar compared to the originals, but they are still entertaining non the less..I kinda enjoyed The lake house, it was pretty good.

Have to say though, I really love My sassy girl (kor), they definitely to raise the bar with the american version.One thing I like is that Elisa Cuthbert plays "the girl" and seen all most all her films and she manages to be convincing in her characters.The male lead on the other hand, could have been changed.Well have to wait and see how it turns out when it get's released

horent135

Post by horent135 » Mar 3rd, '07, 05:39

american always copy asian movies, like lake house, the departed, and etc.... i hope they don't ruin it like the lake house.

Ueda Jiro
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Ueda Jiro » Mar 3rd, '07, 05:53

I think this will turn out pretty bad. :x

skachild

Post by skachild » Mar 3rd, '07, 06:35

horent135 wrote:american always copy asian movies, like lake house, the departed, and etc.... i hope they don't ruin it like the lake house.
huh...??? lake house..?? why.. i like lake house.. atleast the ending in lake house is more satisfying then II Mare.. :roll
overall... i like II mare also.. :P
but the departed really bad... I.Affairs ROCK..!!! :cheers:

cannot wait to see the remake of Sassy Girl lol... :roll

Kenedaa

Post by Kenedaa » Mar 3rd, '07, 07:43

I won't watch it, I would be disappointed for sure; but I think it's great for people who doesn't know the original movie!

majing_28

Post by majing_28 » Mar 4th, '07, 13:30

hmmm americans always copy movies, but it often turns out not as good as the original just like the ring.. i first watch american and i thought it is really the original "the ring" then i said why does many people said its scary? its not scary at all. i never knew that the scary "the ring" that they where saying was the original, the japanese veriton. then after i a few months i watched the original vertion at it was freaking scary, like i cant get it out of my mind for almost 1 year.. well i really hope they don't ruin it just like what they did to "the ring" and to other movies they copied... well i don't know the leading actress but the actor was the man from bring it on, i loved that movie, he acted good in that movie. but everytime he talks it irritates me because he talks with his mouth on the one side of his face ehehe.... well i guess i just better wait for the movie...

Xi@h
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Xi@h » Mar 4th, '07, 13:37

Honestly, prefer the originals. Dont understand why the US have to copy films. Do they lack sense of originality to produce their own kind of movies?

nikochanr3

Post by nikochanr3 » Mar 4th, '07, 14:06

im not sure why everyone gets a bug up their ass about remakes. they remake it cause the idea is good, and a large portion of the american audience wont watch the original cause its subtitled. even if its bad, the only think a remake here could do is give more attention and make people seek out the original. the whole world is not like us, seeking things out on a message board.

that said, this remake is almost certain to suck. my sassy girl wasnt about the story as much as it was about the incredible just locked on chemistry the two leads had. thats almost 100% certain not to be here.

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » Mar 4th, '07, 14:18

i hate remakes.. except horror movies.. i dont think i will watch it..

christaluvsdrama

Post by christaluvsdrama » Mar 4th, '07, 14:31

If its an remake in american i'll say it already sucks. it will most definitely be cliched, they'll never make it original and the way they'll interpret the movie will be all wrong. They'll turn a good KMovie into a sucky US ver.? i wont watch it when it comes out. THE ORIGINAL IS BEST!

nikochanr3

Post by nikochanr3 » Mar 4th, '07, 18:17

honestly i hope the remake does good for one and only one reason, so someone will buy the rights to the original and release a better DVD version of it because the only print htat is out is not the best. =P so thats what y want, a dvd of the original.

orangeinsanity

Post by orangeinsanity » Mar 4th, '07, 18:28

crazylife123 wrote:just with the two leads, i think this movie is already average.
I agree.
I dunno, Im not a fan of re-makes. I probably wont watch it.

DongSeng

Post by DongSeng » Mar 4th, '07, 18:50

Gah, they're doing another remake? BOOO.... I still say the origina is the best. I LOVE my sassy girl. It got me hooked on korean movies and tv shows........ no way that the US version will be any better. HAH. ^___________________^

AzNightDreams

Post by AzNightDreams » Mar 4th, '07, 19:01

woah the U.S is doing a remake??!! Woahhh

thats all i can say...

I probably still watch it to see how it is but I already think the Korean drama would b way better

isbes83

Post by isbes83 » Mar 4th, '07, 19:11

i hate remake! for example i LOVE il mare but i hate it the way they westernized everything in the lake house but keeping the main plot in the movie. just spoil everything. i think this is one of the americans tactic to get more asians to watch their film.

korean_foreva

Post by korean_foreva » Mar 4th, '07, 19:15

i hate wen pplz make remakes...its just copyin...it annoys me its ok wen its like manga to drama tho ^^

ngrl08

Post by ngrl08 » Mar 4th, '07, 19:15

I totally agree. I'm not really looking forward to seeing the American version of My Sassy Girl. I don't think I'm going to see it just b/c of the outcome of The Lake House and the fact that I just LOVED the Korean version of both My Sassy Girl and Il Mare. And it just sucks when these American movies come out and people usually don't know it originated from an Asian movie and give credit to them for such an awesome synopsis.

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Mar 4th, '07, 23:35

I don't bother with remakes unless:

a) I haven't seen the original
b) It's potentially better than the original
c) It turns out REALLY bad, and watch it just to laugh and point out how bad it is.

AzNightDreams

Post by AzNightDreams » Mar 5th, '07, 01:48

korean_foreva wrote:i hate wen pplz make remakes...its just copyin...it annoys me its ok wen its like manga to drama tho ^^
exactly i hate it when they remake it but its k for manga to drama or anime to drama

meteorjc
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by meteorjc » Mar 5th, '07, 02:13

well i like the remake of the lake house but i don't know about my sassy girl. i don't like both of the leading characters. for the lake house it has sandra bullock in it, but i give it a go and compare it with the original version.

Stovila

Post by Stovila » Mar 5th, '07, 02:23

its.... hilarious lol
love comedy sassy K-Drama, transformed into westernish culture, somehow that's kinda weird.

The 'Love' and 'Romance' taste between asia and wester are totally different.

I don't think it'll be bad, if there's no Korean Movie of My Sassy Girl.
But there was, and we already seen it, so....

I'm not put any expectation in this movie. But maybe I could give a try if I see it on dvd rental xD

TrevorGod

Post by TrevorGod » Mar 5th, '07, 03:13

This movie is going to be really, really bad. I probalby shouldn't say that yet because I'm not familiar with the director. He's gotta be better than Gurinder Chadha, who was attached to direct earlier. Too bad this movie didn't stay in pre-production hell for a long time and eventually get forgotten like the oldboy remake.

edit: The k-drama 'Fantastic Couple' was a remake of the hollywood movie 'Overboard'. The k-movie 'My Girl and I' was a remake of the 'Crying Out Love, In the Center of the World'. The k-movie 'Ring Virus' was a remake of the japanese movie 'Ringu'. I'm not saying hollywood isn't full of lazy, unoriginal, thoughless writes, because it is; however, remakes are found in every country.
Last edited by TrevorGod on Mar 5th, '07, 03:41, edited 1 time in total.

krazyem

Post by krazyem » Mar 5th, '07, 03:19

North America is known for copying everything....they don't have an original idea ever. Look at the Departed....it's a remake of Infernal Affairs!!

They're just going to "bastardize" a great movie and then take all the credit for it.

ChongMan

Post by ChongMan » Mar 5th, '07, 05:03

krazyem wrote:North America is known for copying everything....they don't have an original idea ever. Look at the Departed....it's a remake of Infernal Affairs!!

They're just going to "bastardize" a great movie and then take all the credit for it.
They even said the film is from Japan. When the movie won the best picture in Oscar.

Haesin

Post by Haesin » Mar 5th, '07, 10:24

The rating will most definitely be different. An R would perhaps be too much but I expect a PG-13. I'm expecting to see lots of obscenity in this movie. That's usually what happens with remakes ~ with directors trying to make 'little' changes in the plot.

... Jeon Ji Hyun and Cha Tae Hyun's actings, Korean being kinda melodic and making you cackle even when the lines are not funny and so on...

In my opinion, this remake will be a disaster.

_iris
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by _iris » Mar 5th, '07, 10:43

The leads are Jesse Bradford and Elisha Cuthbert. Even though I think she's really gorgeous, that's not all that holds up a movie xD I found My Sassy girl a really great movie, I don't think the remake is going to cut it for me >.<

sveta

Post by sveta » Mar 5th, '07, 10:48

Although i hadn't seen either of the movies yet, but i agree with others' opinions. I'll only watch the movie if someone drags me to the theater. Romantic comedies are not my type of movies. I bet anything that US will even add the characters sleeping with each other and all. Promises to be sucky and boring...but its my opinion though. Best thing i like about asian dramas is the fact that in a lot of them sex isn't the main theme. Korean dramas, ones i've seen, show that a drama can be great without violence and sex and that there is a different way to love someone.

strawberrie1210
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by strawberrie1210 » Mar 5th, '07, 10:58

ah? a remake? hmmmmm...

marvelous
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by marvelous » Mar 5th, '07, 13:36

I would rather see original K movie go directly to US market with sub-titles.

I hate the fact America sells their movies with Korean sub-titles but not vice versa.

PJB

Post by PJB » Mar 5th, '07, 22:35

Come, use a younger guy lead at least hahaha :P

princess_jime

Post by princess_jime » Mar 5th, '07, 22:43

gosh, when i heard this I was like: :blink cause I happen to love Jesse Bradford, but a re-make? I'll hold my opinions for when I see it.
I loved my sassy girl, I showed it to my mum, she loved it too (which in itself is a very rare thing)...
:roll We'll see.

nikochanr3

Post by nikochanr3 » Mar 6th, '07, 16:15

marvelous wrote:I would rather see original K movie go directly to US market with sub-titles.

I hate the fact America sells their movies with Korean sub-titles but not vice versa.
but there is no market or a very small market. i prefer subs too, but its insane to expect companies to do things that are not profitable. :cry:

BeerChan

Post by BeerChan » Mar 7th, '07, 14:49

lol Jesse Bradford as the Kyun-woo character. :-P

KimiWaPet2150

Post by KimiWaPet2150 » Mar 7th, '07, 15:00

Agreed with most everyone. If the cast was better it would have a better chance of being a better movie. This stinks... Asian remakes need better casting already! They managed to pull it off with the Ring movies, now why can't they with anything else?? =_='

crimmy

Post by crimmy » Mar 7th, '07, 15:18

I donno how theyll pull this off considering the main reason why I liked My Sassy Girl was it's cute and funny characters. I mean the story is good and all but IMO it was the chars that made the original better.

Goodluck Hollywood :P

JadedAngel

Post by JadedAngel » Mar 7th, '07, 15:28

:crazy: I've been against the remake of "My Sassy Girl" since I first heard heard about it a few years ago. I hate remakes, and even more so this one, as it is a classic and no one would be able to do it justice.

altessa

Post by altessa » Mar 7th, '07, 15:35

A US remake?
Somehow I can't see how they're going to bring across the humour to American audiences.
I'll watch it just to see how they pull it off. :P

marvelous
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by marvelous » Mar 7th, '07, 17:17

nikochanr3 wrote:
marvelous wrote:I would rather see original K movie go directly to US market with sub-titles.

but there is no market or a very small market. i prefer subs too, but its insane to expect companies to do things that are not profitable. :cry:
Shouldn't Korea boycott American movies then?

NADZ

Post by NADZ » Mar 7th, '07, 18:05

why not?
we'll see whoz is better.

sungie

Post by sungie » Mar 7th, '07, 18:14

Ueda Jiro wrote:I think this will turn out pretty bad. :x
I second this. So don't wanna see it :crazy:

nikochanr3

Post by nikochanr3 » Mar 7th, '07, 18:14

marvelous wrote:
nikochanr3 wrote:

no, because they make money. korean distributors in korea distribute what makes money, as they do here. if subtitled films make more money, they'd distribute that here. it reminds me of the backlash they had in hk a few years ago cause the theaters never showed chinese films anymore. the theaters answer - no one comes to see them!

we are not innocent mind you , as a community we tend to buy imports, there really is no reason for the mainstream to cater to us as we are not mainstream.

but on the topic of THIS remake, even if it was in korean, i couldnt see it, cause this movie is seriously lightning in a bottle and could never be remade, regardles of who they cast. its totally dependent on the main stars chemistry, which is a once in a lifetime thing and im not exaggerating in the least.

QNSpider

Post by QNSpider » Mar 12th, '07, 01:08

I'll probably see it. People always so quick (mostly asiaphiles) to think that Western remakes won't do well. But hey you never know.

cunho

Post by cunho » Mar 12th, '07, 01:30

Do you forget that THE DEPARTED , a american remake from HK movie INFERNAL AFFAIR won recently the Oscar award for best movie of 2006 ? I prefer the original one but could not say that remakes are all crap !

rumen

Post by rumen » Mar 12th, '07, 03:02

i really don't like the main leads very much.
i understand why people who like the korean film wouldn't want to see this, or think its going to be terrible. i loved my sassy girl, but i typically don't watch romance films, so i doubt i'll see the remake in theatre. i'll wait to see it on tv, than form an opinion on it.

on remakes : its not that hollywood or whatever is "unoriginal" as many people are saying. it just comes down to one thing...money. when movie makers see that a foreign film is a huge sucsess, its only logical that they would want to make a remake for american audiences. and hope that it does as well as the orginal did in its country of origin. its not just korean and japanese movies that get remade. most of the cultural difference can be tweaked to fit with our western lifestyle, and most people don't want to sit around and read subtitles. remakes make perfect sense. although alot have been subpar.

its highly unlikely, but i hope when the time comes for the release of the my sassy girl remake, that maybe the original would get limited release or something.
the korean film the host is being shown in theatres, which gives people a chance to see the original film before the american remake comes out.

AboutDrama

Post by AboutDrama » Mar 12th, '07, 11:30

Yeah, rumen is right about the money and about the movie is re-filmed to adapt the western style. I know people see the negative side of this "remake." After "The Lake House" is filmed, many people started to watch "Il Mare." This is same for other remakes such as "RIng," or "Ju-On." This may be the positive side of "remake," which promotes the original movie through remake.

itonobara

Post by itonobara » Mar 23rd, '07, 20:15

majing_28 wrote:hmmm americans always copy movies, but it often turns out not as good as the original just like the ring.. i first watch american and i thought it is really the original "the ring" then i said why does many people said its scary? its not scary at all. i never knew that the scary "the ring" that they where saying was the original, the japanese veriton. then after i a few months i watched the original vertion at it was freaking scary, like i cant get it out of my mind for almost 1 year.. well i really hope they don't ruin it just like what they did to "the ring" and to other movies they copied... well i don't know the leading actress but the actor was the man from bring it on, i loved that movie, he acted good in that movie. but everytime he talks it irritates me because he talks with his mouth on the one side of his face ehehe.... well i guess i just better wait for the movie...
I think this is true of ALL copies, not just american ones. Whether it is copiing an old moive (like "You've got mail" witch is a pale imitation of Jimmy Stewart's " Little Shop Around the Corner") a book (too many examples to list) or a foreign movie, the copy just isn't as good. Have you seen some of the foreign copies of american films? not so good ^^;;

ON THE OTHER HAND....

It gives exposure to a previously little known film, and in the case of foreign films, usually means they will be available to buy in the US for the first time. So I say - remake as many as possible, so I can buy the origanals ^^

itonobara

Post by itonobara » Mar 23rd, '07, 20:23

nikochanr3 wrote:
marvelous wrote:
nikochanr3 wrote:
no, because they make money. korean distributors in korea distribute what makes money, as they do here. if subtitled films make more money, they'd distribute that here. it reminds me of the backlash they had in hk a few years ago cause the theaters never showed chinese films anymore. the theaters answer - no one comes to see them!

we are not innocent mind you , as a community we tend to buy imports, there really is no reason for the mainstream to cater to us as we are not mainstream.
Honestly, I think remakes are one of the best way to get the US to release more striaght-to-dvd-with-subtiles korean movies. Think about it - the average american is not going to go "Hum, I think I'll go watch a korean film tonight." But they WILL go see a Keanu Reaves and Sandra Bullock movie. And if they hears it's based on a korean film, THEN they might think of watching a korean film.

(Part one of my insidious plot to convert the world to MY way of thinking. Well, OUR way, if you're a fan, too ^^)

Neji-sama

Post by Neji-sama » Mar 23rd, '07, 20:27

AWESOME! :D. Tho, put in Jessica Alba instead of Cuthbert :E. And Leonardo as the mainrole :S

anglvue

Post by anglvue » Mar 26th, '07, 08:30

nikochanr3 wrote:whole world is not like us, seeking things out on a message board.

hahaha...that made me laugh...

the lake house was okay. the ending was more satisfying but i still prefer il mare. also, il mare was, correct me if i'm wrong, love letter. when remakes happen, one can't help but compare everything to the original. i'm not sure what to expect from the my sassy girl remake but my expectations are set very low.

Kirachi

Post by Kirachi » Apr 5th, '07, 12:19

I don't think any film should be remade unless it needs a remake...these films are fine the way they are in the first place they DON'T need a remake it's America unable to think up their OWN idea...just look at Ring, Ring 2 (laughable!) Infernal Affairs, Il Mare, Wicker Man....none of these movies needed a remake

Next up on Americas list:
The Eye
My Sassy Girl
Battle Royale

I won't see a single one I personally feel it's about time America stopped leeching others ideas and got some of their own!

And as for the Oscar argument, sorry but some of the most BORING films in the world win Oscars...Oscars don't = good

tisa

Post by tisa » Apr 5th, '07, 12:36

I haven't seen a remake that is better than the original and i think i'm not going to. The idea and the originality is what it's important and copies don't have that.

sourgrape

Post by sourgrape » Apr 5th, '07, 12:53

:crazy:

now way i love original......why make remake ...it hasnt even been that long sice original.....and the facts that its asian makes it more cute and funny
how will they depict the mom running after the son wif a pice of wood ( i think it was wood ??)when he dosent visit his auntie......or like other cute korean ethnic gesters that i cant think of right now .....personally i think it will be a disapointment for me as iv seen the original...but ppl watcing it 4 the first time may like it

aaggrrhh ... o well

and isnt it a bit unfair that the departed won a oscar " i think " , while infernal affairs didnt go as recognised . personally this is the downside of globlizatio as everything is being amaricanized . things should be enjoyed in their beauty and uniquness but how can that be sustained . Personally if ur not watching the korean version , i dnt c why the english one should appeal as the main diff is like subs , it just shows how discrmintory the viewing public can be . i dnt know i was a bit outraged as one person suggested that not many americas would be like " lets watch a korean movie tonight" , not because their comment is incorrect , but because its so tru , which is disapointing . people should open up more to new things , and not be lazy abt reading subs , if u dnt wanna read em that dnt watch the movie . istead of expanding the korean film industry , its like just helping the american one to get bigger.

im totally wif the ppl who say america should get their own ideas , not 'steal' others . i enjoy many hollywood movies , but if a remake of my sassy girl needs to be made , it should be done wif KOREAN actors , in KOREA , in the KOREAN language .