[Discussion] Byakkotai

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
theresalynne

[Discussion] Byakkotai

Post by theresalynne » Oct 10th, '06, 03:16

Hi everyone! I've started this thread for the upcoming SP Drama "Byakkotai" starring Yamashita Tomohisa (NEWS, kitty GYM), and Tanaka Koki (KAT-TUN). This drama is set to be aired on January 6-7, 2007 on TV Asahi.

Here is some more information, translated from a japanese source website:
It was announced that Tomohisa Yamashita of NEWS will be starring in a special drama "Byakkotai" of TV Asahi-affiliated. "Byakkotai" seems to be a story by which the content of the drama visits Byakkotai Memorial Hall by a modern young person who is the descendant of a Byakkotai samurai, and traces the history of the tragedy of the Byakkotai in the force organized by about 340 boys of 16 years old and 17 years old at Boshin War (Aizu war). Yamashita performs two roles (a Byakkotai samurai in the old days and the descendant's Shintaro Sakai)**. Continuous broadcasting schedule of two nights on January 6-7 of next year.

** I'm not quite sure if this is the right name.
Please keep your eyes peeled to this thread for more information as the time progresses and if you have any new information on this drama, please feel free to post it.

sheep11

Post by sheep11 » Oct 10th, '06, 03:41

Wahh!!!!!!!!!!! another yamapi drama so excited ! :wub: he was great in kurosagi. but why is it so short, only 2 parts? more like a tv-movie.

Robina

Post by Robina » Oct 10th, '06, 07:31

Oh!!! Yamapi and Koki in Drama SP :cheers: ^___^
Can't wait for this drama :cheers:
and here are a website that says Yamapi and Koki in Drama SP
http://www.nikkansports.com/entertainme ... 01731.html
It's in japanese language..if someone can read what they say..if there might be new info that we don't know about. :-)

theresalynne

Post by theresalynne » Oct 10th, '06, 07:38

Thanks for that link, Robina.

So I ran this through the Excite translator and all I see is "swim by the loincloth" and "embarrassing" and I go... :blink :shocked: :faint:

I cannot wait for this drama. I think I may die. I want this to be translated properly so badly. XD

Oguri_Shun_fan

Post by Oguri_Shun_fan » Oct 10th, '06, 22:03

I can work on translating that artical since i have nothing to do until tomorrow at 3pm and it's only 6pm right now. I really hope someone subs this special when it comes out ^_^

shinhaku

Post by shinhaku » Oct 10th, '06, 23:18

woa, so cool, cant wait till next year >_<

FruitChaat

Post by FruitChaat » Oct 10th, '06, 23:26

yay pi and koki
..in loincloths....;D
haha, ahhh i can't wait

Oguri_Shun_fan- love song picked up subbing it w/i a few days of it being announced, lol...can't wait!

Robina

Post by Robina » Oct 10th, '06, 23:36

Oguri_Shun_fan wrote:I can work on translating that artical since i have nothing to do until tomorrow at 3pm and it's only 6pm right now. I really hope someone subs this special when it comes out ^_^
Hontou Arigatoooo :cheers: I will be waiting for you ^^
I also hope that someone will sub it. :-)

EDIT:
Love Song will sub it ^^ Great news :cheers:
Last edited by Robina on Oct 10th, '06, 23:39, edited 1 time in total.

Oguri_Shun_fan

Post by Oguri_Shun_fan » Oct 10th, '06, 23:38

FruitChaat wrote:yay pi and koki
..in loincloths....;D
haha, ahhh i can't wait

Oguri_Shun_fan- love song picked up subbing it w/i a few days of it being announced, lol...can't wait!
YAY! but i wonder how I missed that I'm on Love Song Forum everyother day but yay I can't wait!

FruitChaat

Post by FruitChaat » Oct 11th, '06, 00:28

^^haha, it happens...i saw it on wiki =)

theresalynne

Post by theresalynne » Oct 11th, '06, 05:05

Hmmm... here's a couple pics that correspond with the loincloth thing. Warning, nothing really shown but the images these pictures give me.... oh wow. :lol

Credits go to Love Song Forums and various japanese links posted within the Byakkotai topic there.
[img]http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/9168 ... ai8ut0.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/4945 ... i10dz5.jpg[/img]

Plus... this picture in which he looks like he went back in time. Seriously, he looks so young here. Wow.
[img]http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/8061 ... i14yi3.jpg[/img] - EDIT: okay, so this one is a fake. XDDDD)
Last edited by theresalynne on Oct 12th, '06, 21:01, edited 1 time in total.

Oguri_Shun_fan

Post by Oguri_Shun_fan » Oct 11th, '06, 05:34

here is a loose and i mean loose translation of the article provided by Robina

TV-Asahi Spring Drama special "Byakkotai" staring Yamashita Tomoshia (21) will air January 6 and 7th of 2007, filming started in Aizuwakamasu City in the Fukushima Prefecture. As for Yamashita, the historical drama's first challenge will be with 2 roles, Sakai Mineji** and the descendant of a Byakkotai soldier in a troop. Sakai's friend, Shinota Gizaburou**, is played by KAT-TUN's Tanaka Koki (20), Itou Matahachi is played by Johnny's Jr., Fujigaya Taisuke. Photography is to take place with the actors wearing undergarments similar to that of the Nisshin mansion of the Aizu feudal clan school where they learn how to use a sword and the bow. There are many times where it is hard for Yamashita to be serious when wearing the wig in that shape for a long time, although it was the first time wearing that style wig. I wore a loincloth too though....I didn't want to (or something along those lines). This is the first time Yamashita and Tanaka are co-staring together (bashful laughter) Shooting this drama in 2 months Yamashita cooperates with everyone. If you look at this, the score for the Japanese history raised 5 points and so did the appeal. (I'm guessing the popularity and appeal of Japanese historical related dramas went up)

** not sure if that's the correct reading of the name kanji

now that's not exactly what it says word for word it's just a loose translation if anyone finds a mistake or has a more thorough translation by all means feel free to post it ^_^

Robina

Post by Robina » Oct 11th, '06, 05:50

Thankxxx alot Oguri_Shun_fan :-)
I am really looking forward for this Drama SP ^^

theresalynne

Post by theresalynne » Oct 11th, '06, 05:56

Thanks so much, Oguri_Shun_fan!! :) That's an awesome translation.

Oguri_Shun_fan

Post by Oguri_Shun_fan » Oct 11th, '06, 05:58

your welcome ^_^ it probably could be better but my Japanese is a little rusty lol I had to ask my friend (she's Japanese) to help with the whole loincloth part, even she had a hard time putting it into english lol.

GodsGirl7

Post by GodsGirl7 » Oct 11th, '06, 06:20

Ha ha, I bet it's hard for Yamapi to be serious wearing that wig for a long time. He is baka, after all. XD Like in his j-web, flailing about not being able to get it off. Pi-chan, I love you. <3

hagin

Post by hagin » Oct 11th, '06, 11:34

He looks so young in the men in black picture!I ca'n waitTHE BANGS ARE GONE HE LLOK SOO DIFFERENT WHEN HIS BANGS are GONE

theresalynne

Post by theresalynne » Oct 12th, '06, 00:05

Is it just me... or does Yamapi seem to have an edgy look to him now. Like, when he frowns in pictures, he looks like he means business. He's losing his kawaiiness. He's still very very hot, but I guess it goes to show he's not young anymore. *sigh*

Now, go watch this (short clip for Byakkotai):

Hmmm... I need a new sig. I need to say something clever again. Or maybe I'll just change the picture.

emrams

Post by emrams » Oct 13th, '06, 18:29

I think he is growing up and moving out of his little boy look. that is a good thing tho I think because tho it was nice when he was cute, to me he is becoming more HOT. He does have an edginess that is more apparent in his photoshoots etc. So it must be a good thing. You have to be more grown up in both appearance and attitude I think to do a drama like this. If he was still skinny baka Pi it wouldn't have the same effect. Of course I love Baka Pi... but I think he is trying to move into more serious roles and characters as he is getting older. He always says that he wants to become the best he can be in acting, so if he stayed our little cutie-P forever he would be stuck in the same role one after the other. This role shows he has grown up a bit and becoming a more serious performer.

theresalynne

Post by theresalynne » Oct 14th, '06, 03:42

emrams wrote:I think he is growing up and moving out of his little boy look. that is a good thing tho I think because tho it was nice when he was cute, to me he is becoming more HOT. He does have an edginess that is more apparent in his photoshoots etc. So it must be a good thing. You have to be more grown up in both appearance and attitude I think to do a drama like this. If he was still skinny baka Pi it wouldn't have the same effect. Of course I love Baka Pi... but I think he is trying to move into more serious roles and characters as he is getting older. He always says that he wants to become the best he can be in acting, so if he stayed our little cutie-P forever he would be stuck in the same role one after the other. This role shows he has grown up a bit and becoming a more serious performer.
Hmm... agreed. Did you see his scrunched up face, though, in the previews for Byakkotai? Funny. He looks like he's trying so hard to look badass and it's coming off as funny. Either way, he's still a hottie.

dragon35fire90

Post by dragon35fire90 » Oct 16th, '06, 01:01

For the most of us, we don't care and are just dying to see him in another drama. xD >.<

theresalynne

Post by theresalynne » Nov 7th, '06, 05:32

New info... err, actually it's a short CM for Byakkotai that I think you all need to download and watch. I hope you guys can get access to this post, otherwise I'll upload it myself. :)

http://community.livejournal.com/yamapi ... 52149.html

I am so going to cry through the entire SP when I watch it. I know I am. I get really fidgity and nervous watching these kind of movies/dramas. You should have seen me watching The Last Samurai. Not a good sight. I feel like crying already, just from watching this 13s CM. Go watch!!!

Robina

Post by Robina » Nov 7th, '06, 13:56

Yeah! I saw it and it sound a good drama SP...I really can't wait. Also, i hope there will be a behind the scene..i mean the making of the movie or the mistake the actors makes during shooting the drama SP....i think it too early to say but i really can't wait to see it.

Here I just upload the CM in case someone want to see it..it is only 15sec
File Expire within 7 days
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?a ... 95620C22FC

dragon35fire90

Post by dragon35fire90 » Nov 7th, '06, 15:42

ahhhh i cant wait!

altec1

Byakkotai Interview

Post by altec1 » Nov 8th, '06, 13:25

I posted this in the Yamapi thread, but it's porbably better here, (interview for Byakkotai) :thumleft:

theresalynne

Post by theresalynne » Dec 10th, '06, 07:47

I've put together a few little notes and stuff for anyone who wishes to learn more about the Byakkotai soliders and what the SP might be like:

"Ikutari no / namida wa ishi ni/sosogu tomo/ sono na wa yoyo ni/kujitozo omou"
"Even if the tears/of countless people/try to erase them/these names/will never vanish from the world."
The context is both acknowledging of the tragedy, but also triumphant-- that no matter what happens, the boys will never be forgotten.

____
Terms and things you might like to know for Byakkotai:

Byakkotai - a group of young, predominantly teenage, samurai who committed seppuku on a hillside overlooking the castle after seeing its defences breached. These teenagers, ranging around 16-17 by Japanese count, were intended as a reserve in the war. However, some faked their way into the war through deception.

Seppuku (also known as hara-kiri) - a type of ritual suicide that samurai used to perform when faced with dishonor. The would take a smaller type sword and thrust it into the gut. When at the peak of agony, a trusted person would then slice the head off of the person committing seppuku.

Chonmage - a form of Japanese traditional haircut worn by men. It is most commonly associated with the Edo Period and samurai, and in recent times with sumo wrestlers. (wikipedia.org)

Battle of Aizu - was fought in northern Japan in autumn 1868, and was part of the Boshin War.

Helpful links:
http://www.cs.ucla.edu/~jmg/ah/byakkotai.html
http://www.ne.jp/asahi/minako/watanabe/byakkoeng.htm
http://www.byakkotai.net/

vicvicious

Post by vicvicious » Jan 7th, '07, 09:21

gosh! i've been waiting for this special dorama for months! and there is no link at all! i'm dying to see it! :crazy:

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by lilswtangel » Jan 7th, '07, 09:28

It'll be up soon!!! I'm still refreshing the torrent page every 15 minutes or so~ :)

arabian

Post by arabian » Jan 7th, '07, 09:41

Still not upload yet..
Can't wait to watch Yamapi..

Asami Yuhka

Post by Asami Yuhka » Jan 7th, '07, 09:49

lilswtangel wrote:It'll be up soon!!! I'm still refreshing the torrent page every 15 minutes or so~ :)
me too, but i`m looking for byakkotai at cb also!
too slow, buuuu

delong

Post by delong » Jan 7th, '07, 09:52

Only two eposides..
Toooooooooooooo short..sigh...><

Julieho

Post by Julieho » Jan 7th, '07, 22:42

delong wrote:Only two eposides..
Toooooooooooooo short..sigh...><
The first part is 2 hours long, and perhaps the last part will be as well. That's not so bad! :)

theresalynne

Post by theresalynne » Jan 8th, '07, 03:46

The entire two episodes equal to 4 hours long, so yes, both parts are approximately 2hrs each. Everyone check LJ if your a member there. Some people over at the news_jpop community have graciously uploaded the first part and are waiting for the second part which will be available soon. However, the files are kind of dark. T_T Still, I am greatly enjoying it so far.

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by lilswtangel » Jan 8th, '07, 03:59

Steph: Apparently, there are two other HQ versions out there. eeek....one at 3 GB (from what cereza mentioned......with the framesize at 1280x800....or something...I don't quite remember).

and then there's the version that gryzze uploaded at about 1.4 GB~ :)

........though now I'm quite tempted to download the LQ from news_jpop~

theresalynne

Post by theresalynne » Jan 8th, '07, 04:26

Joanna - I'm downloading the 1.4G version now. I hope my ISP doesn't totally hate me after this. ^^

Asami Yuhka

Post by Asami Yuhka » Jan 8th, '07, 08:17

i`ve choosed this LQ version, 735 mb! becouse 1,4 is to big for me!
and finally, 2nd part is aviable! can`t wait wnen i watch both parts!

Gorahgurl

Post by Gorahgurl » Jan 10th, '07, 23:15

When will the subs be out, if they're not already? I'll probably finish torrenting Friday or Saturday...

theresalynne

Post by theresalynne » Jan 11th, '07, 00:20

It's hard to say when the subs will be available, but if I hear something, I'll let people know. ^_^

Koneko
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Koneko » Jan 11th, '07, 01:21

It's being worked on by Love Song. Since the whole thing is 4 hours long, it's gonna take awhile. You can follow our progress on our wiki page.

theresalynne

Post by theresalynne » Jan 11th, '07, 04:11

Ah, Patricia, you always come around at the most convenient times. XD Thanks for providing a little update for everyone. I figured it would take a while, but we'll wait patiently (or most of us will) so gambatte ne. :D

emrams

Post by emrams » Jan 11th, '07, 04:16

Love Song usually does hardsubs if I remember correctly, right?

_iris
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by _iris » Jan 12th, '07, 12:01

If anyone is interested, it seems to be also up for download at http://clubbox.co.kr/btpig, but with Chinese subs.

aso0omy-chan

Post by aso0omy-chan » Jan 18th, '07, 13:46

OMG~, I just finished from watching it~! and u dunno how much I've cried even though I didnt understand everything they were saying~!

its really THE BEST~! ganbare byakkotai~!

and I hope the subs will be out soon....

hontou ni arigatou gozaimashita~ 4 subbing this memorable drama.!

kawaiigarden

Post by kawaiigarden » Jan 19th, '07, 22:30

I cried too, even if I don't understand everything.
Yamapi is a so good actor.
I wait patiently the subs.

aso0omy-chan

Post by aso0omy-chan » Jan 20th, '07, 08:31

yup, yup, he is~! *I want him~* ehm, I want the subs to0o~!

sakitolover

Post by sakitolover » Jan 25th, '07, 23:01

this is the first time i watch a historical drama. so i hope they upload it with subs soon.

theresalynne

Post by theresalynne » Feb 1st, '07, 07:16

Good news, minna-san. Subs for Part 1 of Byakkotai are now available. Hardsubs, that is. Right now, it is definitely available through the JEKizuna clubbox, but I have no idea about a torrent. It should be soon available, though, ne? Yay!

I have already watched the first part subbed and I have to say that it is much better to understand the story. I also thought the end conversation to the first part was sad. Please, minna-san, go download and watch if you can, and let Love Song Forums know how much you appreciate the work they have done. They researched a lot.

Koneko
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Koneko » Feb 1st, '07, 11:22

^ I just put the torrent up, hun ^_^ Yeah the researching felt like we were in history class @_@ but once we started with it, we all really got into looking up the information about the wars. The hardest part was the names for me and translation was extremely difficult for the translators since it was in old Japanese. But anyway, I hope everyone will enjoy part 1 ^_^ Part 2 won't be too far behind (I hope).

animefreak

Post by animefreak » Feb 1st, '07, 14:33

ive never watched a historical drama either. why have so many people researched byakkotai? i feel so uneducated.. =(

Koneko
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Koneko » Feb 1st, '07, 22:15

^ byakkotai the drama is based off of real-life events that happened between 1862 to 1868 which is centered around the Boshin War and the Meiji Restoration. You can find this stuff in the history books. We had to do some research to make sure all of the names translated and the conversations that they have are correct. Last thing we wanted to do was to tell history the wrong way... :unsure:

theresalynne

Post by theresalynne » Feb 1st, '07, 22:58

XD P-chan, you can really tell that you researched a lot. All that technical talk. One can't help but feel quite educated after watching a drama like Byakkotai, though, ne? Thanks for putting the torrent up for everyone. I already downloaded from clubbox. ^__________^

animefreak

Post by animefreak » Feb 2nd, '07, 05:14

btw, the torrent says part1, but its2 hrs long. im pretty tired cause i just came back from a ski trip. im dying in the first hour of the movie, but im not sure if im just tired or it really is boring.. x.x; im sure that it'll pick up in the middle and end though o.o;

theresalynne

Post by theresalynne » Feb 2nd, '07, 05:56

I also said this in the Yamapi thread, but, yeah the entire Byakkotai special (both nights) equals to 4 hours. Part 2 gets better. So good towards the end. But that's just what I think. XD

animefreak

Post by animefreak » Feb 2nd, '07, 17:31

lol, it better. the first part is putting me to sleep. *sigh*

hito

Post by hito » Feb 3rd, '07, 14:09

just finished watching the first part and i have to say that this is truly a great drama. I really like how they used "Celtic Woman- You Raise Me Up" as the insert song, even though it was a bit awkward at first, but it gave it a more emotional feel.

can't wait for the second part and thanks again to [LoveSong] !!

angel26_j

Post by angel26_j » Feb 3rd, '07, 14:26

Qyaaa....
Just finished watchin part1.... :roll

To be honest, since there were so many historical events and so on. I got kind a bored. But it was somewhat a touching story and I did cried.... :cry:

Now i'm so eager to watch part2... I want to know what happen next... .... :unsure:

Newayz i'm so thankful that love song actually subs it. or else i would probably dL it and not understanding any of them.... :whistling:

Arigatou...

animefreak

Post by animefreak » Feb 3rd, '07, 15:05

ohhh. i hope part 2 comes out soon. at the end, it got really good =]

xMugen

Post by xMugen » Feb 3rd, '07, 23:45

can anyone explain the war for me.

Isn't Tokugawa Yoshinobu the one that was going against the Imperial Army? Or is it the other way around?

Aizu is part of the alliance that is going against the modernization of Japan right?

Who was the dude that got killed while he was gonna bang that naked chick? Was it Katamori Saigo or someone else?

theresalynne

Post by theresalynne » Feb 4th, '07, 01:32

I wish I could explain more for you, xMugen, but I'm rather unsure of quite a few things myself.

The guy who died in that scene, was not Katamori. He was a member of the Choushuu clan. His name, I believe, was Sera Shuuzou. If it is the right guy, his name appears about 45-46 mins in. He is the guy that wants to destroy Aizu for being humiliated.

Koneko
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Koneko » Feb 4th, '07, 04:42

Yes, Shogun Yoshinobu and the Tokugawa Shogunate (pretty much the Northern Alliance) are against the Imperial Army (mainly Choushuu and Satsuma combined). And yeah the shoguns are the ones who are against westernization. Like Yasuemon said at the beginning, the Shogunate isn't totally against westernization but they wanted to ensure the people that they still have power and that they stand loyal to the Emperor. There really isn't a good side or a bad side. Both groups wanted what was best for Japan and their visions just clashed.

Takekaze

Post by Takekaze » Feb 4th, '07, 13:03

Actually, the westernization wasn't really the problem. It was more the old issue between the Satsuma, Choshu and Tokugawa (the quarrel between them was OLD, going back a couple of centuries). The Tokugawa were extremely hesitant over what to do with the western arrivals, the Satsuma and Choshu weren't, "sonno joi" was quite popular among them (though, I still think that "sonno joi" was a rather useful tool for the Satsuma and Choshu leaders to rally as many anti-Tokugawa groups around them as possible, I'm pretty sure that they were smart enough to know that Japan, in order to not end like China and all the other Asian countries under western control, had to reach the same level as the western countries). Basically, it was about power and over who would control the country. Would Meiji have "invited" the Satsuma to make a new shogun, they surely would not have hesitated to do so. But the westernization was, at that point, impossible to stop. One way or the other, it had to happen. The fear of ending like China, the big significant other, torn apart by the western countries, was just too big.

Both sides employed foreign advisors and bought foreign weaponry, just that the Choshu and the Satasuma, thanks to their long ties with foreign traders -especially the Dutch- were ahead of that race and had managed to secretly acquire and train their soldiers with the new weaponry earlier than the Tokugawa (while the Tokugawa were arguing over what to do with the foreigners, the Satsuma and Choshu saw their chance and bought their weapons right away).

Keep in mind that Satsuma and Choshu members later rebelled against the emperor Meiji in what's known as Satsuma Rebellion BECAUSE of his westernized ideas and lack of will to follow their every advice (famous example: the so called "last samurai" Saigo Takamori was pushing for a war with Korea, emperor Meiji didn't agree, Saigo ran off and pouted and later joined the rebellion, which makes him nothing else but a traitor).

The irony of the Satsuma Rebellion is that members of the Shinsengumi, who had fought alongside the Aizu shogunate supporters, were fighting for the Imperial Army (Saito Hajime as the most famous example of them) and members of the Satsuma, who had been in the Imperial Army at Aizu, were fighting for the rebels (and even there it seems that there were still some old scores to be settled between Tokugawa and Satsuma supporters).

Here I am still hoping for a special on the Aizu Women's Brigade. They just don't get the place they'd deserve. It's great, though, to see in this special that the members of the Brigade shoot better than the samurai. But I still think they'd deserve their own TV special, these women have been extraordinarily, both in the field and in the besieged castle.

Just... they should have taught the actors how to really load a musket from the 1860s. You don't, ever, put the ignition cap on before loading the barrel. Basic gun safety (an issue that most movies and tv seriess sadly fail to consider). What if the cap misfires (not that likely, but it can happen), then it ignites the powder right into your face, at least into your arm and that, with a musket ball from the 1860s, is a rather uncomforable encounter (Minie ball, developed by French officer Claude Minie, a slow flying, soft lead projectile, the reason for all those amputations during the American Civil War, if the bone's hit by one of those, it's usually crushed beyond repair).

Koneko
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Koneko » Feb 4th, '07, 13:13

That is some REALLY GOOD information there. Thanks so much for sharing! Yeah we definitely get to see Choshu's hatred for Aizu when they were denied access through the Imperial doors. It seems that Katamori also knew that Satsuma couldn't be fully trusted but they decided to team up anyway. It probably wasn't such a great idea to put so much trust in Satsuma.

I really doubt there will be anything on the Aizu Women's Brigade. Can't even find much info in the books about them =/ I'm glad that they included them in the drama though and showed that they're not just your usual women who tends to the men.

theresalynne

Post by theresalynne » Feb 4th, '07, 16:16

Thanks for the information, Takekaze. You're very knowledgeable in this area. ^__^

So, I'm a little confused here. Which side was against the westernization? :unsure:

Neji-sama

Post by Neji-sama » Mar 6th, '07, 17:34

Pretty good drama, some nudity and gory violence which is quite rare in Jdramas.

daisukides

Post by daisukides » Mar 23rd, '07, 22:57

I've been wondering, since the Yamapi we see in the beginning is supposed to be a decendant of the other one, he must have children, right?
How will he manage that before his untimely teenage death, all the while not being allowed to talk to women? Quite a pickle huh?
Hopefully this question will be answered in part two.

Neji-sama

Post by Neji-sama » Mar 23rd, '07, 23:08

daisukides wrote:I've been wondering, since the Yamapi we see in the beginning is supposed to be a decendant of the other one, he must have children, right?
How will he manage that before his untimely teenage death, all the while not being allowed to talk to women? Quite a pickle huh?
Hopefully this question will be answered in part two.
Most likely we will see him getting together with someone in the next part.

daisukides

Post by daisukides » Mar 24th, '07, 01:14

I guess so. I'm very interested to see how this turns out. I think part 2 is supposed to be out tomorrow,
so we won't have to wait that long to find out.

shama129

Post by shama129 » Mar 24th, '07, 01:19

mmm i doubt if they r gonna focus on his lovelife. this drama doesn't focus on romance so i don't see that happening. besides its only 2 parts .

i think the only bit of romance we're going to be seeing is from koki's character. thats why they've been focusing on that couple.

daisukides

Post by daisukides » Mar 24th, '07, 15:17

Just finished downloading part 2. Yatta! Gonna watch it later today. But I think you're right shama129, doesn't seem like
that kind of drama. They have to solve that ancestors-problem though, or else I'll be annoyed :glare:

just call me_Zei

Post by just call me_Zei » Aug 5th, '08, 18:31

How many episode is it really?

OishiKuranosuke

Post by OishiKuranosuke » Aug 17th, '08, 21:50

Hi all, thought I'd make some history-related comments in response to some of the questions raised on this thread. This drama was okay, but to be frank, I was somewhat disappointed in it. One of the things that disappointed me was that as far as the women went, they felt the need to create fake characters (with the exception of Yamamoto Yaeko) rather than use real historical figures (Nakano Takeko, Hirata Kocho, Jinbo Yukiko). Some good things: Higashiyama Noriyuki as Matsudaira Katamori, though to be honest, during the segment that depicted the Kyoto years, he should have been looking a lot more sick. Katamori was so sick during his time in Kyoto that there were times when people thought he was dead. But of course, he lived, and died in 1893. Another good job was Matsushige Yutaka as Yamamoto Kakuma, and Matsuo Toshinobu as Yamakawa Hiroshi. (I think it would've been a nice touch to include Hiroshi's brother Kenjiro, who later became President of Tokyo University) But anyway...

*"Aizu, the Bakufu, and the North against modernization" is a misconception. Matsudaira Katamori employed the services of the Prussian gun runner Henry Schnell. Aizu reorganized its military along Western lines in early 1868. In 1865, Aizu was using the services of another Prussian, Karl Lehman of the Lehman-Hartmann Company, to modernize its mining industry and trade networks. Yamamoto Kakuma, who was depicted in "Byakkotai," was the Aizu samurai who negotiated with Lehman. For more, see "Remembering Aizu," by Shiba Goro (available in English), as well as Hoshi Ryoichi's "Bakumatsu no Aizu-han".

*The Northern Alliance and the survivors of the Tokugawa army (***AFTER the fall of the Shogunate and the defeat at Toba-Fushimi***) fought side-by-side ("the enemy of my enemy is my friend" and all), but to call the Northern Alliance "pro-Tokugawa" is also a misconception. The Alliance was made up of clans that were nearly all "tozama" ("outside" lords), the biggest of which was the Date clan of Sendai. Satsuma and Choshu are also tozama. Why would tozama be pro-Tokugawa? When the war went badly for the Alliance, the Tokugawa forces abandoned the Alliance and escaped to Hokkaido. Yes, some survivors of the Alliance joined the men going to Hokkaido, but they were few in number. Again, for more information (for those of you who can read Japanese), see Hoshi Ryoichi's "Ouetsu reppandomei," and Onodera Eiko's "Boshin nanboku senso to Tohoku seiken."
*What they missed in the movie, regarding the "women's brigade" of Aizu: they sought permission to fight alongside the men, but were denied, because the Aizu officers felt that if the enemy saw women fighting as part of the Aizu forces, they'd look like they were desperate. Even so, the women fought (and some died) anyway.

*The people who come out of the castle at the end are waaaaaaaay too few in number. Again, see Shiba's "Remembering Aizu," and Hoshi's "Ouetsu reppandomei."
That's about it. I'm really really hoping for Aizu and/or Matsudaira Katamori to appear later on in the "Atsuhime" taiga, but considering that it took them three quarters of the year to get to 1860, I'm losing that hope.[/spoiler]