"I want a korean boyfriend"

Anhyong haseyo. Post Korean related stuff here.
horndogbuddhist

Post by horndogbuddhist » Jan 11th, '07, 03:20

Hey I am in the conversation a little late but here you go what help that I can afford...I have a Korean GF I am going to have to ask my GF how to write the rest (since I'm Chinese who is learning Korean. I think that it's a great combo don't you?

But here is a part of it :

남자친구 - boyfriend.
I think this is it...

한국남친을찾습니다.

littlemafia

Post by littlemafia » Jan 11th, '07, 14:56

thefinalword wrote:my girlfriend doesn't like song hye gyo....

but that's only because I talk about song more than my gf lol hahahaha
hahha.. no wonder she dont like..

p/s: how i wish i can meet junki.. hehhe... :whistling: [/b]

xiah1fan

Post by xiah1fan » Jan 11th, '07, 15:16

__yukari wrote:oh my goodness, no you don't want a Korean boyfriend! Unless you're Korean yourself. lol. I had a Korean boyfriend and he ended up breaking up with me because his family wouldn't let him MARRY a non-Korean. what the heck! We dated for a month! Who was thinking about getting married? Crazy!
Awwii.....Marrige???OMG.....I know A Korean Guy Cant Even Date a Non-korean Girl....What a wast of life When u cant be dating a Korean guy....Awiii Porr You .....I want that too nervier happen me.....But Really poor You.....But You were lucky to have him 4 1 month at least....What about me just fantasizing about a Korean guy...but Still i don't want what 1 ...or Yes i want...but I still Think ,Poor You....But Did He just give up on you???......

meviet

Post by meviet » Jan 22nd, '07, 04:20

I have two asian friends, one is jap and one is viet, and they both said the same thing, "don't date korean guys!!" one of them said that they can be annoying sometimes. then i said, "but some of them are really cute."
they said "they're not that fun to hang around with" :scratch:

marvelous
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by marvelous » Jan 22nd, '07, 11:00

meviet wrote:I have two asian friends, one is jap and one is viet, and they both said the same thing, "don't date korean guys!!" one of them said that they can be annoying sometimes. then i said, "but some of them are really cute."

So they're telling you that all korean guys are sometimes annoying and not fun to hang out with?

Japanese people hate Koreans for thousands of years and like wise for Koreans... Viets I do not know too much except that Koreans hurt them hard in Vietnam war...

iamthehendrix

Post by iamthehendrix » Jan 23rd, '07, 04:36

wow, I want a gf thats not korean =)

krazyem

Post by krazyem » Jan 25th, '07, 02:32

ideally i'd like an asian bf...being asian myself, it would keep the culture going for my family since i was born and raised in canada

but in the end there are always going to guys of all types regardless of ethnic origins, right? i mean, a lot of canadian guys are cute and sweet but then there are also a lot who are perverted egotistical pigs.....and i'm pretty sure that's true for all countries.

just be glad to have a bf....unlike me who's a pathetic single living in a couples world.... :cry: :cussing: :alcoholic: :x :cry: :cry: :cussing: :alcoholic: :alcoholic: :alcoholic: :alcoholic: :alcoholic: :D

Annessa

Post by Annessa » Jan 25th, '07, 03:25

__yukari wrote:oh my goodness, no you don't want a Korean boyfriend! Unless you're Korean yourself. lol. I had a Korean boyfriend and he ended up breaking up with me because his family wouldn't let him MARRY a non-Korean. what the heck! We dated for a month! Who was thinking about getting married? Crazy!
eh... not all are like that. and even if that was partially true, it's not just limited to Korean families. i know several Asian families of different nationalities that prefer their children to marry someone from the same ethnic background, but most of them wouldn't go so far as to make their children break up with their significant others.

i've also dated a few Korean guys when i was in college, and it was never a big issue. i know some prefer to date Korean women, but not all are like that... some are very open-minded. my ethnic background is Chinese, but i've always been open to dating guys from all kinds of racial/ethnic backgrounds.

also... may i ask, what is the big deal with dating Korean guys? i hope you gals aren't trying to live some fantasy from tv dramas you watch. it's not exactly like that. why limit your dating pool?

cutepiekiss

Post by cutepiekiss » Jan 25th, '07, 03:54

my lecturer which is non-korean woman get married with korean man and now they live happily with their children. Isn't that great. :wub: It's not big deal with married or dating someone outside our race. I come from multiracial families and love it.

tisa

Post by tisa » Jan 25th, '07, 04:17

A Korean bf or gf is still just a person. At the beginning it could be that you notice a Korean because you are a drama addict but after getting to know the person you notice other things.
I think it's unfair to Koreans to date them just because the actors in dramas are also Korean. I'm not saying that everyone is dating Korean guys or girls for that reason. They know for themselves the best.

I can't imagine how a Korean person feels because i'm not one. My country is very different from Korea. There isn't even a really big difference when speaking formally or informally in my country. I know in Korea you add something that sounds like mida (i don't know how you write this) and in Japan you add something that sounds like mas but we don't have anything like that. It's such a pity. We don't use use a word "oppa" or add "ya" at the end of the name if you are familiar with the person. I will never know how a Korean girl feels when she calls a guy oppa and how he feels when he is called like that. We don't have upperclassman or underclassman or wear uniforms at school where I live. What i respect about Asia the most is their receptiveness especially towards people older than them which is something most of the people in my country don't understand.
These are a just a few examples. One day I would really like to know how it feels to be a Korean.

However I bet every culture has a few things other cultures will never really understand. We just have to except that. It's just so depressing that I can't find anything like that in my country.

Lite_and_Shadow

Post by Lite_and_Shadow » Jan 26th, '07, 03:41

Great discussions you have here. I enjoy reading those posts and I learned a lot here. :)

I watched KDramas and K movies recently (started early this month) and I must say, I am attracted by those K actors that I like to have one myself especially my fav K actor now. LOL

I hope I get this feeling over soon. Hopefully, before the month is over so that I can move with my other priorities. Ewk, I like and don't like the feeling...great fascination over a Korean actor. LOL. I did not drool much with Brad Pitt even he's my fave actor ever since.

BTW, the shirt is fun but I don't wear shirt with message like that. Go girl! It's your life.

RainingWendy

Post by RainingWendy » Jan 26th, '07, 08:11

hmm i would love a korean bf... I am trying to learn Korean and go to Korea some time in a few years, I hope they don't mind having a Mexican American for a gf haha.

khmerknight

Post by khmerknight » Jan 26th, '07, 10:07

xbabygmonsterx wrote:oh yes, adding on to what I said earlier...
I'm full blooded Korean and I have a 3/4 Cambodian 1/4 Chinese mix boyfriend.
We've been dating for 2 years now and guess what... my parents dislike him. ;;
when they tell me how he isn't worth it, a lot of the times it seems like it's because he's not Korean. or rather just because they don't like Cambodians or something. soooooooooooooooooo
my view: Korean parents are frikkin racist and deserve to have their stubborn eyes opened
mm.. yeah where was I
anyway
goodluck finding a good Korean boyfriend. :)

where can i find a girl like you? in modesto? you b/f's a lucky guy. best of luck to the both of you in your relationship and don't let your parents tear down what you have w/each other!

chaegyeong

Post by chaegyeong » Jan 26th, '07, 10:43

I want a korean boyfriend! i read in the Lonely Planet travel guide that multi racial marriages are now common amongst koreans. maybe all we non-korean girls might have the chance! stay optimistic!

RainingWendy

Post by RainingWendy » Jan 26th, '07, 14:54

chaegyeong wrote:

I want a korean boyfriend! i read in the Lonely Planet travel guide that multi racial marriages are now common amongst koreans. maybe all we non-korean girls might have the chance! stay optimistic!
haha may it be that way...because other wise like they say in spanish "me voy a quedar solterona!" I am going to stay single forever HAHA!

vampee

Post by vampee » Jan 26th, '07, 15:18

I want a gay korean boyfriend, that's my entire phrase xD

Lite_and_Shadow

Post by Lite_and_Shadow » Jan 27th, '07, 00:45

RainingWendy wrote: haha may it be that way...because other wise like they say in spanish "me voy a quedar solterona!" I am going to stay single forever HAHA!
LOL. That's my philosophy but when I saw this Korean actor, now I'm in doubt. :lol

RainingWendy

Post by RainingWendy » Jan 27th, '07, 23:23

Lite_and_Shadow wrote:

RainingWendy wrote:

haha may it be that way...because other wise like they say in spanish "me voy a quedar solterona!" I am going to stay single forever HAHA!

LOL. That's my philosophy but when I saw this Korean actor, now I'm in doubt..

That was my philosophy too hopefully it will stop being it.

---
I read a bunch of the other posts which are soo old but seriously the thing is that, the whole thing about not mixing I don't get that, kind of reminds me of what theSpanish used to do to the mestizo because they were spanish mixed with Indígena ( natives). The point that I am trying to say is that, we are all human we are all ( usually) all of us are able to bred and well since we can all do that why not just do that and not care about the others background. I mean we can learn about other cultures and their language and their sence about things, I mean it is not impossible. Nothing in this life is impossible expect taxes and dieing! Like me I am Mexican American...more Mexican since the blood that runs through my veins is Mexican..well I am mixed and very very mixed at that, even though that mixture is what Mexico is more at a whole. Because my family comes from Europe as well as Mexico, since French and Spanish and Indígena blood run through me. What am I trying to say here is that from so many mixtures and which way of something new things can come from them, it is not bad and one must not judge someone because they "aren't pure" I know one thing most hispanics now a days are not pure, and that will be happening with all different countries in the world as long as we are humans and are able to love and reproduce.

In a whole I am trying to say that not all westerners are not the same, like we have whites, blacks, hispanics, and etc. no one is better then anyone.

I think I kind of lost my train of thought, but the whole thing is that we are not different at all. I mean I read from someone that they got hit when they were children and that showed them dissipline and what not, same thing happened to me and I am not Asian.

The whole thing about the hierarchy of ages that the younger one is compared to the older one, I am the oldest and my brother usually gets compared to me. Another thing is that I get compared to my older cousins and so on and so forth.

Like I just asked my mum what would happen if I would marry a Korean and stuff she told me that first of all I am trying to learn Korean and that wouldn't be weird if God put someone in my path that knew that language, although she said she would not be able to talk to them since they would probably know English but not Spanish. She sai, " Maybe a few people in the family would object to that but then again most of the family members married people who were not Mexican but are Hispanic, and well I know one of my aunts saw that as mixing. But who cares what she says."

I was like so mum what would my grand ma and grand pa say about that.

She said they would be happy for you since if that would be your happiness they would not want to spoil it for you, although the trips to mexico would be a bit difficult since he probably would not know Spanish

In my opinion I do not see anything bad about Asians wanting to marry other people from different cultures if love is there well let it grow, parents should not object to see their kids happy. I mean parents may have an idea of what happiness is but they are not in their child's shoes.

No one actually knows in what body or where their love or happiness maybe...who knows if mine will be with another mexican, hispanic, white, black, or asian...

I would love to think it would be with some korean dude sure but I do not know what my destiny has in store.

and thats the end of my thing

I have no idea if it made sence

khmerknight

Post by khmerknight » Jan 28th, '07, 00:01

RainingWendy wrote:
Lite_and_Shadow wrote:

RainingWendy wrote:

LOL. That's my philosophy but when I saw this Korean actor, now I'm in doubt..

That was my philosophy too hopefully it will stop being it.

---
I read a bunch of the other posts which are soo old but seriously the thing is that, the whole thing about not mixing I don't get that, kind of reminds me of what theSpanish used to do to the mestizo because they were spanish mixed with Indígena ( natives). The point that I am trying to say is that, we are all human we are all ( usually) all of us are able to bred and well since we can all do that why not just do that and not care about the others background. I mean we can learn about other cultures and their language and their sence about things, I mean it is not impossible. Nothing in this life is impossible expect taxes and dieing! Like me I am Mexican American...more Mexican since the blood that runs through my veins is Mexican..well I am mixed and very very mixed at that, even though that mixture is what Mexico is more at a whole. Because my family comes from Europe as well as Mexico, since French and Spanish and Indígena blood run through me. What am I trying to say here is that from so many mixtures and which way of something new things can come from them, it is not bad and one must not judge someone because they "aren't pure" I know one thing most hispanics now a days are not pure, and that will be happening with all different countries in the world as long as we are humans and are able to love and reproduce.

In a whole I am trying to say that not all westerners are not the same, like we have whites, blacks, hispanics, and etc. no one is better then anyone.

I think I kind of lost my train of thought, but the whole thing is that we are not different at all. I mean I read from someone that they got hit when they were children and that showed them dissipline and what not, same thing happened to me and I am not Asian.

The whole thing about the hierarchy of ages that the younger one is compared to the older one, I am the oldest and my brother usually gets compared to me. Another thing is that I get compared to my older cousins and so on and so forth.

Like I just asked my mum what would happen if I would marry a Korean and stuff she told me that first of all I am trying to learn Korean and that wouldn't be weird if God put someone in my path that knew that language, although she said she would not be able to talk to them since they would probably know English but not Spanish. She sai, " Maybe a few people in the family would object to that but then again most of the family members married people who were not Mexican but are Hispanic, and well I know one of my aunts saw that as mixing. But who cares what she says."

I was like so mum what would my grand ma and grand pa say about that.

She said they would be happy for you since if that would be your happiness they would not want to spoil it for you, although the trips to mexico would be a bit difficult since he probably would not know Spanish

In my opinion I do not see anything bad about Asians wanting to marry other people from different cultures if love is there well let it grow, parents should not object to see their kids happy. I mean parents may have an idea of what happiness is but they are not in their child's shoes.

No one actually knows in what body or where their love or happiness maybe...who knows if mine will be with another mexican, hispanic, white, black, or asian...

I would love to think it would be with some korean dude sure but I do not know what my destiny has in store.

and thats the end of my thing

I have no idea if it made sence

i totally agree w/RainingWendy. i'm learning Spanish in college so i can expand my horizon and have more "options". lol.

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Jan 28th, '07, 00:19

RainingWendy wrote:[In my opinion I do not see anything bad about Asians wanting to marry other people from different cultures if love is there well let it grow, parents should not object to see their kids happy. I mean parents may have an idea of what happiness is but they are not in their child's shoes.
I agree with you 100%. It shouldn't be this way and it is downright wrong to try to take over the life of your own child.

However, I think you keep in mind that the big thing with Koreans is that they preserved their ethnic uniqueness by refusing to mix with their Chinese and Japanese invaders, or at least that's what history books tell them and what they believe. Basically, Koreans think that they wouldn't be Koreans today if they had welcomed the Chinese and had mixed with them, and that they would have lost the Korean language, food and culture to become just another part of China. They are very proud to have preserved their language and their uniqueness despite hundreds of invasions from every direction.

Therefore, I think the Korean mindset is SORT OF understandable. However, like I said, young Koreans these days are a lot more reluctant to listen to their parents and more intent on following their heart. Young Koreans of today are probably more open than ever to foreigners - I have quite a few male Korean friends who are actively looking for a foreign girlfriend and even wife because they find them more interesting or want to be unique. I have a Korean boyfriend and he would marry me if I really wanted to.

It's not impossible to find a Korean husband or boyfriend, but show some sensitivity to their history, the way they were brought up and the things they've been taught. Koreans are different and it makes dating them difficult. Generally I advise girls not to (seriously) date them unless they truly intent to go all-in and dedicate a lot of time learning about Korean culture and the language or else the relationship is almost certain to fail after a very short while. This is why marriages between members of the same culture is GENERALLY better - neither has to make such huge sacrifices to adapt to the other's culture and learn everything about it. However, intercultural marriages can be most rewarding, interesting and can make you a much better person, so while it's difficult, it can be worth it.

RainingWendy

Post by RainingWendy » Jan 28th, '07, 02:29

Néa Vanille

RainingWendy wrote:
[In my opinion I do not see anything bad about Asians wanting to marry other people from different cultures if love is there well let it grow, parents should not object to see their kids happy. I mean parents may have an idea of what happiness is but they are not in their child's shoes.

I agree with you 100%. It shouldn't be this way and it is downright wrong to try to take over the life of your own child.

However, I think you keep in mind that the big thing with Koreans is that they preserved their ethnic uniqueness by refusing to mix with their Chinese and Japanese invaders, or at least that's what history books tell them and what they believe. Basically, Koreans think that they wouldn't be Koreans today if they had welcomed the Chinese and had mixed with them, and that they would have lost the Korean language, food and culture to become just another part of China. They are very proud to have preserved their language and their uniqueness despite hundreds of invasions from every direction.

Therefore, I think the Korean mindset is SORT OF understandable. However, like I said, young Koreans these days are a lot more reluctant to listen to their parents and more intent on following their heart. Young Koreans of today are probably more open than ever to foreigners - I have quite a few male Korean friends who are actively looking for a foreign girlfriend and even wife because they find them more interesting or want to be unique. I have a Korean boyfriend and he would marry me if I really wanted to.

It's not impossible to find a Korean husband or boyfriend, but show some sensitivity to their history, the way they were brought up and the things they've been taught. Koreans are different and it makes dating them difficult. Generally I advise girls not to (seriously) date them unless they truly intent to go all-in and dedicate a lot of time learning about Korean culture and the language or else the relationship is almost certain to fail after a very short while. This is why marriages between members of the same culture is GENERALLY better - neither has to make such huge sacrifices to adapt to the others culture and learn everything about it. However, intercultural marriages can be most rewarding, interesting and can make you a much better person, so while it's difficult, it can be worth it.
Well, that did make Koreans into what they are today but right now I thought I read some where in this tread that there is like more men then woman most of those men usually stay single or go off and marry other people. The whole thing about the language and about not being with their invaders because I know that ( I am not comparing I am just talking about what I have in my frame of reference) I know that a lot of things were lost in many different countries when the people there mixed with the people that invited them. Take for example Mexico, like the Spanish came and most of the language was lost which was Náhuatl like if the people there wouldn't have mixed we would have been all fluent in Náhuatl instead of Spanish. Even though a lot of the culture there was lost we also gained a lot of other culture but still keeping what made Mexico, well Mexico. Maybe things would have been different if the people wouldn't have mixed then again I know most of them didn't mix because they wanted to but were forced by the owners of the haciendas ( ranches and stuff)

I know if Korea would have probably given way to the other people the Korean language would have probably been lost or there it would be still there but not as popular with the people. Since Náhuatl I know still exists in Mexico and other countries but isn't the main language. I know that Korea and Mexico are a world apart since they both have different history but I know both as many other countries were invaded by other countries, I mean that's just an example. I mean it's great that they didn't let other countries take over their identity but now a days they can make foreigners learn their ways even though it may be different to see someone who was not born Korean talk Korean or eat Korean food but any one who is willing to respect the culture learn about it should, I know it would make it loads easier for the in laws to be able to talk to them.

Like I was saying my mum would love to be able to talk to my future husband, since she doesn't know English and my family does not speak English that is why they usually marry people who know Spanish yes it does make it a lot easier to know the language but yet even though we in my family I mean are all Hispanic we are still different, it is a bit hard to compare a Colombian to a Mexican. Mainly how we speak Spanish is soo differently.

That is good if a person wants to follow their heart that is all that should matter. I mean we are in the 21st century a lot of things are being seen today that no one would have thought about it soooo long ago. Who knows maybe more people from different cultures not only Asian will be open to marrying people of a different culture.

I mean I understand why they mean like it is a bit easier for a Korean to marry a Korean since they both have the same culture the same language and they eat the same thing of course it would be a bit easier. Like it would be easier for someone in the west to marry a westerner its because they live there and they can find love where they live but now with everyone moving out of their countries and living in another country which they were not born in of course other people would start dating, and even marrying.

I mean views change with the years I know I told my mum a few years back if I could marry someone who was not Hispanic she was a bit weird out about it and now I am seeing a whole new side of her which kind of like I never thought someone like my mum could change like that in just a few years.

well those are my lack of examples and mainly what my frame of reference is but I am willing to learn more of different cultures and see the world as a whole not just the side of "my world" that I know. I do hope I don't offend anyone with what I said.[/quote]

Johnny Rainbow

Post by Johnny Rainbow » Jan 29th, '07, 06:57

You don't want us. Trust me, we're overrated and inhumanely heavy smokers. =P

Lite_and_Shadow

Post by Lite_and_Shadow » Jan 30th, '07, 03:02

Johnny Rainbow wrote:You don't want us. Trust me, we're overrated and inhumanely heavy smokers. =P
:lol

I saw some actors do smoke. Part of the culture, eh? Also your climate in upper east asia, no?

Johnny Rainbow

Post by Johnny Rainbow » Jan 30th, '07, 04:10

Nah, it's not a part of any culture, just a bad habit picked up by a LOT of people.

Anyway, in modern times it's possible for anyone that's not Korean to go out with or marry a Korean man. It just takes more effort to gain the trust of the parents as they're, for the most part, gonna be biased more towards other Koreans.

LuckyCharms

oh no

Post by LuckyCharms » Jan 30th, '07, 21:51

I am a white girl who has a Korean boyfriend and so far his family has been pretty accepting of me... of course his parents don't really speak much English so I could be wrong. I'm really surprised that everyone is saying that Korean guys don't really marry anyone who's not Korean. Not that we have ever talked about getting married...
My boyfriend and I do live together, though and I care a lot for him. So STOP SCARING ME you people. :wub:

marvelous
Fansubber
Fansubber

Re: oh no

Post by marvelous » Jan 31st, '07, 17:24

LuckyCharms wrote:I am a white girl who has a Korean boyfriend and so far his family has been pretty accepting of me... of course his parents don't really speak much English so I could be wrong. I'm really surprised that everyone is saying that Korean guys don't really marry anyone who's not Korean. Not that we have ever talked about getting married...
My boyfriend and I do live together, though and I care a lot for him. So STOP SCARING ME you people. :wub:
It really depends on the parents... Usually Yang Ban family with status will not want their kids to marry foreigners. I knew this guy who was at my cousin's wedding reception and his family disowned him for marrying a white woman. My parents wouldn't disown me but they wouldn't like it. As a good son I would rather grant their wishes than go against them.

All my family in America married Koreans except 1 of my cousin married a nice Chinese doctor. Perhaps because our family have a strong identity of where we came from and who we are.

In a traditional Korean family. The daughter in law is supposed to live with the husband's family. Learn from the husband's mother to cook and take care house hold. Now a days lot of family go separate ways once they're married. But some still value this tradition today. Maybe not in America but in Korea.

meviet

Post by meviet » Feb 3rd, '07, 22:27

marvelous wrote:
meviet wrote:I have two asian friends, one is jap and one is viet, and they both said the same thing, "don't date korean guys!!" one of them said that they can be annoying sometimes. then i said, "but some of them are really cute."

So they're telling you that all korean guys are sometimes annoying and not fun to hang out with?

Japanese people hate Koreans for thousands of years and like wise for Koreans... Viets I do not know too much except that Koreans hurt them hard in Vietnam war...

no, it's not because of that. its because both have actually dated korean guys and both have experienced the same thing. we spend time with lots of asian people, and we don't hate each other because they're korean, japanese or viet. but it's more because the guys act differently when they're dating.

and what did korea do to viet? all i know that during the war, most of the american soldiers did not like korean that much, they gave thump ups for viets and thumps down for koreans.

halfkoreanyuja

Post by halfkoreanyuja » Apr 14th, '07, 01:01

I THINK IT IS FUNNY HOW YOU NON-KOREANS WANT TO DATE KOREANS. WHO GIVES A **** ON YOU WHO DATE. RACE DOES NOT MATTER. THERE ARE KOREAN MEN WHO DATE AND MARRY NON-ASIANS AND NON-KOREANS. MY DAD IS FULL KOREAN HE IS PROOF THERE ARE KOREAN MEN WHO MARRY NON-ASIANS.

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Apr 14th, '07, 15:45

Yupp. For all you girls who wish to get a Korean boyfriend, I can recommend Skype to you. This is where all the foreign-loving Koreans who speak good English are, and I met quite a number of Korean guys who explicitly told me they wished to marry a foreign woman (usually because they thought that Korean women were plastic or shallow, because they wanted to live abroad, or because they just wanted to be different). I usually asked them if their parents would allow it, and some of them even told me their parents not only allowed it but encouraged them to marry a foreign woman. I think this is a byproduct of more and more Koreans wanting to leave the country and live abroad permanently. I seem to love living there more than Koreans do.

It really must have been about 15-20 different guys I met on Skype who had this kind of attitude (I talk on Skype a lot looking for people from different regions to improve my understanding of different dialects, so this is why I go looking for Koreans on Skype quite often despite having a boyfriend). Some of them were quite good-looking, too. Good luck, girls! :salut:

ch3nny

Post by ch3nny » Apr 14th, '07, 15:49

Néa Vanille wrote:Yupp. For all you girls who wish to get a Korean boyfriend, I can recommend Skype to you. This is where all the foreign-loving Koreans who speak good English are, and I met quite a number of Korean guys who explicitly told me they wished to marry a foreign woman (usually because they thought that Korean women were plastic or shallow, because they wanted to live abroad, or because they just wanted to be different). I usually asked them if their parents would allow it, and some of them even told me their parents not only allowed it but encouraged them to marry a foreign woman. I think this is a byproduct of more and more Koreans wanting to leave the country and live abroad permanently. I seem to love living there more than Koreans do.

It really must have been about 15-20 different guys I met on Skype who had this kind of attitude (I talk on Skype a lot looking for people from different regions to improve my understanding of different dialects, so this is why I go looking for Koreans on Skype quite often despite having a boyfriend). Some of them were quite good-looking, too. Good luck, girls! :salut:

ahahaha wow unbelieveable =))))))))))))) what is skype?

ch3nny

Post by ch3nny » Apr 14th, '07, 15:53

Johnny Rainbow wrote:You don't want us. Trust me, we're overrated and inhumanely heavy smokers. =P

hahahaha funny

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Apr 14th, '07, 16:02

It's a popular voice chat program.

http://www.skype.com

You can look for people who want to chat using a feature called "search for people in 'skype me' mode". The program is full of Koreans who are heavily into foreigners and Western culture because Skype is one of the only places where they can meet foreigners, with most Korean messengers being available for Korean citizens only. Before I went to Korea for the first time, I used Skype to meet some people who could show me around and help me out there and it worked pretty well.

ch3nny

Post by ch3nny » Apr 14th, '07, 16:06

Néa Vanille wrote:It's a popular voice chat program.

http://www.skype.com

You can look for people who want to chat using a feature called "search for people in 'skype me' mode". The program is full of Koreans who are heavily into foreigners and Western culture because Skype is one of the only places where they can meet foreigners, with most Korean messengers being available for Korean citizens only. Before I went to Korea for the first time, I used Skype to meet some people who could show me around and help me out there and it worked pretty well.
ahh icic what was ur keyword u put in da search? my comp cant install dat software but its pretty interesting hahah

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Apr 14th, '07, 16:08

Just 'Korea (South)' and all the people pop up. :lol

Urd181

Post by Urd181 » Apr 14th, '07, 16:24

I don't want a Korean BF, in Canada they're are LOTS I mean where ever you walk their is one! But at school they just stick with their own kind, for example my friend was talking to me (I'm coloured) and these Korean guys walk by, and they look so disappointed in her just because she's speaking English. I mean SERIOUSLY! If you're gonna live in Canada than you damn well should learn the language!

ch3nny

Post by ch3nny » Apr 14th, '07, 16:25

Néa Vanille wrote:Just 'Korea (South)' and all the people pop up. :lol
awww dam now i reallly wana install this thing hahaha

ch3nny

Post by ch3nny » Apr 14th, '07, 16:26

Urd181 wrote:I don't want a Korean BF, in Canada they're are LOTS I mean where ever you walk their is one! But at school they just stick with their own kind, for example my friend was talking to me (I'm coloured) and these Korean guys walk by, and they look so disappointed in her just because she's speaking English. I mean SERIOUSLY! If you're gonna live in Canada than you damn well should learn the language!
hahaha ur rite!!!! theres nothign wrong in speaking english when ur living in a western country !!! haha

ch3nny

Post by ch3nny » Apr 14th, '07, 17:27

Néa Vanille wrote:Well, I'm hoping to enroll at Sogang University to attend 4 hour of Korean classes a day for at least half a year. The tuition fees make up about 3 million won, but I got my mother to pay half of it while I'll use my savings to pay for the remaining half. I hope that I will be able to give English lessons over the summer and maybe during school breaks to help out with the rent and such, though my monthly pocket money from both mommy and daddy should be able to cover most of it. I admit I'm a spoiled little girly. :lol I might actually want to finish the course, even - I should manage to skip a level or two because I don't think I belong in the absolute beginners' class anymore and the entire course is made up of only 5 or 6 levels lasting 3 months each.

Requirements for said course are nothing but a High School diploma and in addition to that, you can't even get a real degree upon completing it - however, it's probably the best and fastest way to learn Korean, for it not only offers a good teaching schedule complete with tests and homework probably equal or superior to any Korean classes in the West, but also language immersion even out of the classroom. Seeing as how mastering Korean is way more important to me than any degrees at the moment, I'd much rather study Korean there than finish up a BA in Korean Studies here and come out of college speaking only half the Korean I would after actually living there. I'm not really sure what I'll be doing afterwards, whether I will stay in Korea to get a real degree after the Korean course or whether I will return or even go to another place altogether, but I shall see.

And yeah, I'm not that old. And yeah, I guess I'm not that bad with languages. But you should see my brain when it sees calculus or... any advanced math, really. THAT's when I think, "gawrsh, I'm, like, stupid." :lol

wow i envy u......to be able to accomplish so much at a young age.......and living in korea? i wouldnt even dare think abt that .....ill die hahahahha but i really REALLY wana go there for a long holiday hahaha da preparations are in progress and is progressing slowly >.<

SinFan

Post by SinFan » Apr 14th, '07, 17:32

woow =p
i read quite a few posts here O_o
amazing how you guys found all those facts about Korea and stuff... =/
I actually agree with a few of you..
why limit yourself to one race when you have to look for the person...
not the country he or she came from...=/

but i have to say...
my parents are like that too.. they want a Chinese son-in-law
I'm a Chinese girl living in the Netherlands..
and there are lot of different cultures here..
My parents already told me that I can't date (several of) them...
I can't date people with a dark skin...so i mean black people...
I can't date Muslims
and they don't want me to date Dutch people..
something with the Dutch culture..being too blunt and not caring about family
While I was raised with the Dutch culture O_O
They also have something against Japanese people? O_O

My cousin had a Dutch boyfriend a few years ago..
and my uncle was mad O_O
He simply didn't acknowledge him and pretend my cousin was single.. =/
it was harsh...but you have to understand..
when he came to family parties..everybody would talk Chinese (or Indonesian..they can speak that too ~_~) and that dutch guy was like: uuhhh whaat?

it's hard to please your family...but they are here for you..
so if my parents want me to marry a Chinese guy... (at least an Asian guy)
I will listen to them...after all...family is everything... =]
but i will find an Asian guy i will love =]
gosh i mean...Asian guys are way attractive than western guys...XD
well at least i think that =p

halfkoreanyuja

Post by halfkoreanyuja » Apr 15th, '07, 00:02

YEAH IT'S TRUE KOREAN MEN MARRY KOREAN WOMEN WHO ARE FULL,PART HALF KOREAN. KOREAN AMERICAN MAN IS BETTER FOR A NON-KOREAN TO BE WITH IF YOUR A NON-KOREAN OR NON-ASIAN GIRL. THEY WILL MARRY YOU. A KOREAN FOB GUY ONLY DATES NON-ASIAN GIRLS CAUSE THERE EASE AND CHEAP. SO TO THE NON-ASIAN AND NON-KOREAN GIRLS WHO ARE DATING A FOBBY KOREAN GUY HE WILL DUMP YOU IN NO TIME FOR A KOREAN GIRL OR MIXED KOREAN. I MYSELF HAVE DATED NON-KOREANS BUT I ALWAYS GO BACK TO A KOREAN GUY. I AM NOW MARRIED TO A KOREAN GUY. GOT TO KEEP THE KOREAN BLOODLINES GOING.

narushinyak

uhh

Post by narushinyak » Apr 25th, '07, 20:43

@Néa Vanille I think you have a wrong picture of Korean guys. Most of us tend not to LOOK for foreign girls. Nonsense. The ones that are actually looking for one is not serious (curiosity, myself had this) or outsider/loner doesn't get along with their own people or is just unique. By hanging around with foreigners MORE than koreans, already makes you sort of an outsider, not because you want to, because of the way other Koreans look at you and talk about you. Now, if you have a girlfriend who is not Korean everyone assumes you are one of those people I just mentioned. (<-- usually these things happen outside of Korea)

Now Koreans IN Korea thinks foreigners are something special especially white girls. Maybe this is why they asked you out or even made an attempt. (Makes you look special? XD) Think about the mixed kid they will have and the way Korean people in Korea will look at them. It's probably better off moving to some different country. It's probably not totally negative (mostly due to "special" feeling or curiosity), but deep in people's mind.. they have a distance. Also, Koreans are very close with their relatives and it would be kind of weird to have a foreigner with different culture.

About the 5~6% survery you mentioned.. it's not probably all that accurate as they never experienced being around foreigners. I bet 99% of people in Korea never had a foreigner friend. Most people who actually do have wife from foreign countries are because they live in rural areas and not many girls wants to live there. Who would? unless you are in the 40s+. This also happens because we have more guys than girls.

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Apr 25th, '07, 23:10

I think you're misunderstanding me. I think I know pretty much about Korean guys; I know about "riding the white horse", I know about playing around with Japanese girls because they're easy, I know about the mothers and I know about nunchii. But being a foreigner, I've been able to meet a wide range of people with different reactions to me and I haven't found it hard to meet guys who seriously wanted to date me. And yes, all of this applies ONLY to Koreans-in-Korea, I never met a Korean-American and I don't know any Korean-Germans (just half German/half Korean people, but I guess they don't count).

I met a lot of Korean guys who were actively looking for a foreign woman to marry because they didn't like Korea and wanted to live abroad. I've gotten marriage proposals from some of them on Skype. Some were outsiders, some weren't; some were ugly, some were handsome, but they were all intelligent and I guess just longing for something different.

I am not claiming that they are in the majority. Most people on the world want to be normal and marry who everybody else is marrying, and Korean guys are by God no different. Your chances of randomly talking to someone on the street and meeting someone so totally open are low, but knowing where to look for them makes life a lot easier, since they do exist. As for more 'normal' Korean guys - yes, they are more challenging, but I have a bit of an advantage over other foreign girls because I speak Korean and know quite a bit about Korean customs and culture and have every intention of learning much more. I never said it was easy for those who didn't speak any Korean, at least not long-term. I honestly don't know how high exactly the percentage for Korean guys who'd seriously date or marry a foreign woman is, all I know is that I personally haven't found it hard against all odds. Another thing I noticed is that most Koreans are curious about me and if I happen to befriend one Korean, all of his or her friends want to meet me, too - perhaps only so they can claim they have a pretty Western friend. I guess being a white girl who speaks Korean is still somewhat of a novelty there. There's a LOT of superficiality and a lot only resolves around you being an exotic plaything, but my overall experience was still overwhelmingly positive. What I have been saying in this thread over and over is: a Korean boyfriend is of medium difficulty to find if you don't know where to look; easy to find if you do know where to look; hard, but very rewarding to maintan for a while and almost impossible to keep forever if you don't speak Korean and are seriously willing to adapt to the culture and accept the good, the bad and the truly ugly.

Luckily, I already have a Korean boyfriend and I'll move in with him in July when I move back to Korea, so I'm just posting this to help other girls who want one. 화이팅 girls!

narushinyak

Post by narushinyak » Apr 26th, '07, 14:40

Néa Vanille wrote:I think you're misunderstanding me. I think I know pretty much about Korean guys; I know about "riding the white horse", I know about playing around with Japanese girls because they're easy, I know about the mothers and I know about nunchii. But being a foreigner, I've been able to meet a wide range of people with different reactions to me and I haven't found it hard to meet guys who seriously wanted to date me. And yes, all of this applies ONLY to Koreans-in-Korea, I never met a Korean-American and I don't know any Korean-Germans (just half German/half Korean people, but I guess they don't count).

I met a lot of Korean guys who were actively looking for a foreign woman to marry because they didn't like Korea and wanted to live abroad. I've gotten marriage proposals from some of them on Skype. Some were outsiders, some weren't; some were ugly, some were handsome, but they were all intelligent and I guess just longing for something different.

I am not claiming that they are in the majority. Most people on the world want to be normal and marry who everybody else is marrying, and Korean guys are by God no different. Your chances of randomly talking to someone on the street and meeting someone so totally open are low, but knowing where to look for them makes life a lot easier, since they do exist. As for more 'normal' Korean guys - yes, they are more challenging, but I have a bit of an advantage over other foreign girls because I speak Korean and know quite a bit about Korean customs and culture and have every intention of learning much more. I never said it was easy for those who didn't speak any Korean, at least not long-term. I honestly don't know how high exactly the percentage for Korean guys who'd seriously date or marry a foreign woman is, all I know is that I personally haven't found it hard against all odds. Another thing I noticed is that most Koreans are curious about me and if I happen to befriend one Korean, all of his or her friends want to meet me, too - perhaps only so they can claim they have a pretty Western friend. I guess being a white girl who speaks Korean is still somewhat of a novelty there. There's a LOT of superficiality and a lot only resolves around you being an exotic plaything, but my overall experience was still overwhelmingly positive. What I have been saying in this thread over and over is: a Korean boyfriend is of medium difficulty to find if you don't know where to look; easy to find if you do know where to look; hard, but very rewarding to maintan for a while and almost impossible to keep forever if you don't speak Korean and are seriously willing to adapt to the culture and accept the good, the bad and the truly ugly.

Luckily, I already have a Korean boyfriend and I'll move in with him in July when I move back to Korea, so I'm just posting this to help other girls who want one. 화이팅 girls!
wow.. I guess you are an exception haha. You know German, English and Korean languages? $_$ You are a white woman who knows Korean culture and have intention to learn more about it and you wouldn't mind living in Korea. By the sound of it, you are probably good looking too ("some marriage proposals? >.<). Iunno but to have a chance with a Korean guy (not that we are something special, just different) foreigner probably should have all those qualities. Otherwise, it would be too troublesome living in Korea and the guy wouldn't take the chance of going through the troubles with his family/relatives/friends and for their children.

It seems like you have a pretty good idea about average Korean people, but just because it was easy for you to find guys doesn't mean we are as open as people with other cultural background. Also, it doesn't really help if YOU ask them about what they think about foreigners as it would be bad manner to say.. "no, I only want to marry Korean" (plus they are probably thinking that all foreigners are like you or referring to one XD) Not many girls are like you at all. If you think about what you are doing, you are the one sacrificing to marry one (not sure if you like living in Korea and its culture).

I think I just randomly rambled on too long, but my point was we are pretty different inside than we look about marriages (but we think you gals are hawt too!), and there is no way that we are as open to foreigners then most of the countries. I'm a Korean guy whos knows hundreds of other Koreans... as opposed to you, white woman, getting all these impression by ASKing them or been asked because you are an exceptional girl.

se468

Post by se468 » Apr 26th, '07, 14:59

Néa Vanille wrote:so they can claim they have a pretty Western friend.

Are u really pretty? If so, i wanna see it myself so can you post picture of your self?

lol

Skype is like msn just being able to talk right? I dunno if the guy was so serious about proposing on skype. If he was serious, don't u think that he would propose after personally meeting you?

ryokocho

Post by ryokocho » Apr 26th, '07, 15:55

i can't imagine being told who i could or could not date! :pale:

i'm a caucasian [mostly German hertiage, but a lot of other stuff in there] whose been dating a Lao boy for 4 years now.. his parents are okay with assimilating although they prefer the company of other Laotians and Thais [they hardly speak english], and my parents don't have any problem with who i date. i'm so glad he's not Hmong, only because i know he would have been most likely forbidden to looooove me :cry:

anyway, i try to learn Lao little by little so i can talk to his parents and family, and i go to family gatherings and they have accepted me. in a Korean family, would it matter how hard the 'outsider' is trying to fit in and be open with the family or person they are trying to date? or are most closed off to considering allowing it no matter what?

i saw the most beautiful Korean boy on the bus last week. he made my heart melt! i would have loved to get to know him, but i find most people who are deeply in the culture of their people tend to only hang out with other people of the same race or background. it's so hard because i want to get to know them! no matter what their outside looks like... but i know enculturation and the rules & values of a society definitely impede on 'mixing'l

sorry for my unclear and pointless rambling..

halfkoreanyuja

Post by halfkoreanyuja » Apr 26th, '07, 16:19

TO THE GIRL WHO SAID SHE IS MOVING IN WITH HER KOREAN BOYFRIEND. I WOULD NOT MOVE IN WITH HIM UNLESS YOU WANT PEOPLE AND HIS FAMILY TO THINK YOUR A SLUT/HO/ CHEAP SKANK FROM THE USA. I NEVER LIVED WITH ANY OF MY BOYFRIENDS WHEN I WAS DATING THEM. I AM MARRIED KNOW TO A KOREAN GUY. I AM HALF KOREAN. WHY ARE YOU MOVING IN WITH HIM WHAT ARE HIS MOM AND DAD THINKING YOUR NOT HIS WIFE. YOUR JUST A SHACK UP HONEY HIS HAVING HIS FUN WITH YOU. IN TIME HE'LL WILL LEAVE YOUR WHITE ASS FOR A KOREAN GIRL WITH CLASS. YOUR JUST A PEACE OF ASS HIS IS TAPPING AND BRAGGING ABOUT TO HIS KOREAN HOMEBOYS. I KNOW HOW KOREAN GUYS ARE. THEY HAVE FUN AND A GOOD TIME WITH A NON-KOREAN THEN THEY WILL DUMP YOU FOR A KOREAN GIRL. YOUR JUST A SLUT TO HIM. WHY GET MARRIED WHEN HE CAN GET THE MILK FROM HIS WHITE COW FOR FREE.

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Apr 26th, '07, 17:34

I'm moving in with him because I need a place to stay before I study. His parents actually invited me because they have spare room and they didn't want me staying at a random place before school started. I may or may not live there longer, from a month to I-don't-know-how-long. I'm still looking forward to it because even if we aren't going to share a room, I am looking forward to being around him so much more than I could if we lived apart. Not that that's any of your business.

To be honest, I find your post extremely offensive, because you have no idea what our relationship is like, what my relationship with his parents is like and how long we've been together/friends. We've been very close friends for a very long time and your comment of him thinking of me as 'white ass' makes my blood boil. I would very much appreciate it if you kept your disrespectful, judgmental as well as unknowledgeable comments to yourself. I think my choices in life over very carefully and I don't need someone random on the internet tell me in such a manner what my own relationship is like.

And @se: no, of course they weren't serious. :P They just told me they would want to marry me if we got together because they wanted to live in Europe and stuff. Quite often, they were pretty Westernized in the sense that they had already lived abroad for a while, spoke English really well and just wanted to leave again. I guess such a guy is the easiest to marry for any girl. Sadly, such a guy isn't really my top choice because *I* want to live in Korea, for as long as I can. I love living there
Last edited by Néa Vanille on Apr 26th, '07, 17:52, edited 2 times in total.

gibonite

Post by gibonite » Apr 26th, '07, 17:46

halfkoreanyuja wrote:TO THE GIRL WHO SAID SHE IS MOVING IN WITH HER KOREAN BOYFRIEND. I WOULD NOT MOVE IN WITH HIM UNLESS YOU WANT PEOPLE AND HIS FAMILY TO THINK YOUR A SLUT/HO/ CHEAP SKANK FROM THE USA. I NEVER LIVED WITH ANY OF MY BOYFRIENDS WHEN I WAS DATING THEM. I AM MARRIED KNOW TO A KOREAN GUY. I AM HALF KOREAN. WHY ARE YOU MOVING IN WITH HIM WHAT ARE HIS MOM AND DAD THINKING YOUR NOT HIS WIFE. YOUR JUST A SHACK UP HONEY HIS HAVING HIS FUN WITH YOU. IN TIME HE'LL WILL LEAVE YOUR WHITE ASS FOR A KOREAN GIRL WITH CLASS. YOUR JUST A PEACE OF ASS HIS IS TAPPING AND BRAGGING ABOUT TO HIS KOREAN HOMEBOYS. I KNOW HOW KOREAN GUYS ARE. THEY HAVE FUN AND A GOOD TIME WITH A NON-KOREAN THEN THEY WILL DUMP YOU FOR A KOREAN GIRL. YOUR JUST A SLUT TO HIM. WHY GET MARRIED WHEN HE CAN GET THE MILK FROM HIS WHITE COW FOR FREE.
what you said is totaly offensive and useless...

Angelyn

Post by Angelyn » Apr 26th, '07, 18:09

i agree... your comment was uncalled for. you're just sounding bitter...

also, are you aware that writing in ALL CAPS not only makes it difficult to read, but it's also rude because it can be interpreted as you YELLING.

to put my 2 cents in, my best guy friend is korean and he's nothing like what you mentioned.
true, in high school, i was attracted to one of my korean friends and he blatantly told me "um... just to let you know... i'm marrying a korean girl"... but it's not just koreans. it can happen to any culture.

every group has their own traditions. it changes, though, as people become more accepting of one another. i come from a culture (philippines & america) that's somewhat more open to marrying outside of the culture so perhaps my view on things is a bit different....

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Apr 27th, '07, 00:35

Nea: i admire how you handled that insolent post with poise and class.

halfkoreanyuja: your post was rude, offensive, and disrespectful. this is a warning. if there is another REPORT about your posts, you will be banned.

halfkoreanyuja

Post by halfkoreanyuja » Apr 27th, '07, 05:29

i am just telling like it is. korean guys always go back and marry a korean women. i myself is half korean. i have dated non-korean guys before but i always go back to korean guys. i am married to a korean guy. i got married this year feb 14.

Goong:)

Post by Goong:) » Apr 27th, '07, 05:51

lol this thread is hilarious...

congrats halfkoreanyuja

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Apr 27th, '07, 12:55

It's interesting to note that halfkoreanyuja said the exact opposite just a few pages back, when she claimed that Korean men frequently married foreign women and she was the result and therefore proof of it. I say troll.

biniBningPunkista

Post by biniBningPunkista » Apr 27th, '07, 13:11

oh wow.. is there an argument? lolz... but i would agree to what this girl said.
Angelyn wrote: every group has their own traditions. it changes, though, as people become more accepting of one another. i come from a culture (philippines & american) that's somewhat more open to marrying outside of the culture so perhaps my view on things is a bit different....

it always ALWAYS depends on the person individually. i guess it wasn't right to generalize it... every ethnic group has their own thing, but some are open to other things. (meaning they have broader view in life) :salut:

KawaiiD

Post by KawaiiD » Apr 27th, '07, 13:12

halfkoreanyuja wrote:TO THE GIRL WHO SAID SHE IS MOVING IN WITH HER KOREAN BOYFRIEND. I WOULD NOT MOVE IN WITH HIM UNLESS YOU WANT PEOPLE AND HIS FAMILY TO THINK YOUR A SLUT/HO/ CHEAP SKANK FROM THE USA. I NEVER LIVED WITH ANY OF MY BOYFRIENDS WHEN I WAS DATING THEM. I AM MARRIED KNOW TO A KOREAN GUY. I AM HALF KOREAN. WHY ARE YOU MOVING IN WITH HIM WHAT ARE HIS MOM AND DAD THINKING YOUR NOT HIS WIFE. YOUR JUST A SHACK UP HONEY HIS HAVING HIS FUN WITH YOU. IN TIME HE'LL WILL LEAVE YOUR WHITE ASS FOR A KOREAN GIRL WITH CLASS. YOUR JUST A PEACE OF ASS HIS IS TAPPING AND BRAGGING ABOUT TO HIS KOREAN HOMEBOYS. I KNOW HOW KOREAN GUYS ARE. THEY HAVE FUN AND A GOOD TIME WITH A NON-KOREAN THEN THEY WILL DUMP YOU FOR A KOREAN GIRL. YOUR JUST A SLUT TO HIM. WHY GET MARRIED WHEN HE CAN GET THE MILK FROM HIS WHITE COW FOR FREE.
so it all depends on the guys heart cause everyone is different and in our own unique way of how we feel towards other people , i for one would want a gf .. i don't care what race .. what culture cause when it comes to love its about caring for each other and keeping your feelings true towards one another . love is overrated no one knows the real meaning. so shes wrong it all depends on that persons feelings

halfkoreanyuja

Post by halfkoreanyuja » Apr 27th, '07, 15:20

both my parents are korean my dad is full korean. and my mom part korean. i don't think he would have married my mom if she was part not korean. my dad is very korean he was happy i married a korean so was my mom. well anyways i don't even care what happens to you and your boyfriend. cause i already no the out come. i live in korea i been here over 5 years. i've seen how korean men are to non-korean girls or non-asians. korean's really not to happy when there son is with a non-korean. if you were a guy and had a korean girlfriend then it's fine i have seen it alot. but for a korean guy to have a non-asian or non-korean wife he's going to hear talk from his family and friends. it's hard for the korean male. parents expect alot from there sons. you going to korea you will be in for a culture shock big time. korea is not germany. are ways or not your ways. i am shocked that your moving in with your parents. if i ever told my parents i was moving in with my bf they beat my ass and say like hell your not. in korea parents hit there kids it's ok to hit and slap. i neaver heard of korean parents saying oh you gf can leave with us. that is really shocking to me.

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Apr 27th, '07, 15:25

Well, he's a very special person and we've been very close for a very long time. :wub: And I don't think you need to tell me about what it's like in Korea. I've lived there too, you know. It's true that his parents were worried at first, but once they found out I spoke some Korean, was going to dedicate a lot of time to studying it and had read dozens of books on Korean culture and history, they started appreciating me and treating me well. In the beginning, they were probably scared that if we got married, we wouldn't be able to communicate - but since they've seen my efforts, they've softened so much on me.

Anyway, somehow I still can't rid myself of the feeling she's a troll, and not a very good one.

Check out what she wrote a few pages ago: THINK IT IS FUNNY HOW YOU NON-KOREANS WANT TO DATE KOREANS. WHO GIVES A **** ON YOU WHO DATE. RACE DOES NOT MATTER. THERE ARE KOREAN MEN WHO DATE AND MARRY NON-ASIANS AND NON-KOREANS. MY DAD IS FULL KOREAN HE IS PROOF THERE ARE KOREAN MEN WHO MARRY NON-ASIANS.

... Multiple Personality Disorder? Or just trying to offend as many people as possible? Also, notice the contradiction: MY DAD IS FULL KOREAN HE IS PROOF THERE ARE KOREAN MEN WHO MARRY NON-ASIANS. Non-Asians? I thought your mother was half-Korean...? Not to mention THERE ARE KOREAN MEN WHO DATE AND MARRY NON-ASIANS AND NON-KOREANS just contradicts everything she tried so hard to offend me with.

:lol

Here's the link to the gem: http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_38187_240.htm 3rd post from the bottom.

Troll, who's with me?
Last edited by Néa Vanille on Apr 27th, '07, 15:47, edited 2 times in total.

KawaiiD

Post by KawaiiD » Apr 27th, '07, 15:36

lol? -__- im half Korean yet my parents agree to me having a gf is fine rofl they even invited her to live wit us. - dream come true- =) well maybe true that some asian familys dont agree to dere child having a non-asian gf or bf but thats up to them and thats what dere family wants. maybe her bfs family agrees to let him have a non-korean gf ever thought of that?

buhsanz

Post by buhsanz » Apr 27th, '07, 15:47

i think u watch too much movies + dramas.. no wonder you be like tis..study hard n try to get scholarship to continue ur study in korea..take engineering courses... maybe you can get ur prince charming there... :thumright:

halfkoreanyuja

Post by halfkoreanyuja » Apr 27th, '07, 16:02

TROLL HAHAHA GOOD ONE THERE. NOPE I DON'T LIVE UNDER A BRIDGE DEAR. I LIVE IN A REALLY REALLY NICE BIG HOUSE OUT HERE IN SEOUL. I GOT TO 2 MONTHS AGO ME AND MY HUSBAND LOVE IT. TROLL IS THAT ALL YOU GOT. HAHAHA DON'T MAKE ME LAUGH NOW. NOPE I DON'T HAVE ANY MPD DEAR. YOUR THE TROLL. I HAVE MY OWN PLACE WITH MY HUSBAND. I NOT A SHACK UP HONEY. YOU GETTING UPSET AT ME. BECAUSE YOU KNOW I AM TELLING THE TRUTH. WHY DON'T YOU INGORE WHAT I SAY THEN. PEOPLE WHO DON'T THINK WHAT I SAY IS TRUE WOULD NOT ACT THE WAY YOU DO. HAHAHAHA SO WHAT DO YOU WANT ME TO THINK OF YOU THEN. YOUR NOT MARRIED TO HIM AND YOUR GOING TO LIVE WITH HIM. THAT'S SHACKING UP. BE PISSED UPSET AT ME ALL YOU WANT TOO. HAHAHAHAHA

halfkoreanyuja

Post by halfkoreanyuja » Apr 27th, '07, 16:10

MY IS HALF KOREAN 50% ALSO SPANISH/FRENCH/NATIVE AMERICAN HER MOM IS KOREAN. I WAS SAYING IT'S FOBBY KOREAN GUYS THAT ARE HARDER TO GET ALONG WITH. IF HE IS KOREAN-AMERICAN WHO LIVED IN AMERICA THEN IT'S FINE. YOU STILL ARE A SHACK UP HONEY. IF YOU DON'T WANT ME TO THINK OF YOU LIKE THAT THEN GET MARRIED OR FIND YOUR OWN PLACE. THE BOY IS GETTING MILK FOR FREE. BE UPSET ALL YOU WANT. CAUSE THE TRUTH HURTS.

elden41

Post by elden41 » Apr 27th, '07, 16:21

Néa Vanille wrote:It's interesting to note that halfkoreanyuja said the exact opposite just a few pages back, when she claimed that Korean men frequently married foreign women and she was the result and therefore proof of it. I say troll.
Maybe this person is yamcha or whatever the name was? :scratch:

halfkoreanyuja

Post by halfkoreanyuja » Apr 27th, '07, 18:32

i am not a troll hello my dad is full korean and my mom is half korean so both parents are korean just my mom is half. so who gives a crap

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Apr 27th, '07, 19:14

elden41 wrote:
Néa Vanille wrote:It's interesting to note that halfkoreanyuja said the exact opposite just a few pages back, when she claimed that Korean men frequently married foreign women and she was the result and therefore proof of it. I say troll.
Maybe this person is yamcha or whatever the name was? :scratch:
That was my first guess as well, but I don't think so anymore. Yamcha, as obnoxious she was, knew English and was not nearly as vulgar.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Apr 27th, '07, 23:49

halfkoreanyuja: you should ask your husband to spend more time with you. that way you won't be so lonely that you need to take it out on other members of our forum. to give you more free time, i've banned you. hope that helps.

doohyunee

Post by doohyunee » Apr 30th, '07, 01:57

lets not be so harsh to halfkoreanyuja she doesn't even sound sober :lol

as some ppl have been saying, it always depends on the person and the situation, though the culture could take some effects to it.

I, for one, am full korean, educated in the states, living in korea atm. i'm the eldest's eldest's eldest's...... eldest (i really wish there was a vocab for this), you can say i represent my whole family. in my specific situation, i would be discouraged and disallowed to marry a non-korean girl, not even a partial korean, for i have the obligation to keep the bloodline "pure", and it already had happened once (i had a half korean gf back in college). so anyone not full korean wouldn't be welcomed in my family as my spouse. however, that's just my case. two of my distant cousins married caucasians. they dont have the obligation as i do, their parents were more open-minded, so it worked out for them.

many of my friends, cousins, acquaintances do have curiosity towards non-koreans. some are willing to date one if they get a chance. some are just against the idea, being in a similar situation as mine or they just dont feel comfortable dating a person who don't share the same culture. however, few have expressed lustful curiosity over non-koreans, at least not among people i know, that, i believe, should be an enough sample, being a couple hundreds. so dont go out saying korean guys will use you for sex and dump you for a korean girl.

generalization is not right, it's always dependable. sure we korean guys are somewhat chained to cultural values and expectations, but not all of us feel the same. as nea vanille provided, perspectives and values are changing fast in korea and i witness it everyday. heck, my uncle once tried to lecture me that i should marry whomever i want and just say hell with my obligations. that was the biggest surprise of last year for me :D.

samantha luz

Post by samantha luz » Apr 30th, '07, 11:53

i also want a korean boyfriend i think they're bit romantic and caring.. i guess...

meviet

Post by meviet » May 1st, '07, 02:08

i used to dream of having a korean boyfriend, result of watching too much drama. but now that idea has totally dissapeared.
i still want to have jang dong gun, though. :whistling:

BUTTERFLY;

Post by BUTTERFLY; » May 3rd, '07, 17:53

haha. I WANT ONE TOO! :D
^ agreed. it is the result of dramas and my kpop boys. <3

i seriously want one. haha.
it be great to have one. even though my parents think likewise.
i don`t know. my best friend is korean and he`s such a great guy.
trust me, if i didn`t think of him as a big bro right now, i`d date him. :]

xiah1fan

Post by xiah1fan » May 3rd, '07, 18:04

samantha luz wrote:i also want a korean boyfriend i think they're bit romantic and caring.. i guess...
Yeahh In movies :glare: ....Almost Every guy can be Romantic in movies......what if a guy is every thing u love in a movie......but outside the movie.....he is everything besid waht u like.....Eheh i sound soo negative :-( but Gomine . :glare: ....And Srry for being rude and all that but it just the truth :unsure: .....But If u ever find a korean guy i hope he is what u call romatic and caring :cheers: :D .......

jinster

It's alright ladies..

Post by jinster » May 9th, '07, 21:51

I'm here now. :lol

Pekana

Re: It's alright ladies..

Post by Pekana » May 10th, '07, 00:18

This sure is a tenacious thread. And to think that it all started back in August 19, 2006 with someone asking for a certain Korean phrase to write on a T-shirt.

Obviously, there are a lot of girls who wouldn't mind having a Korean boyfriend. Count me in, as long as he's a non-smoker and has a good personality.

Bask in the attention while you can, Korean guys! You never know what might grab the fancy of drama-watching females next. :P
jinster wrote:I'm here now. :lol
Offering yourself as a sacrifice to the Korean boyfriend thirsting masses? :lol

Eternal Snow

Post by Eternal Snow » May 10th, '07, 23:06

i just came across this thread & it`s very amusing to read all this points of view about korean ppl & culture..

i really liked Néa Vanille comments.. gurl.. U ROCK! :thumright: hope 4 u all the best in Korea :-)

& some ppl just have to know their limits :glare: > halfkoreanyaju

never thought that korean people are this strict about marriage.. :O but i don`t think all of them are like that ne~? i mean.. some must be easy with it.. or not? :scratch: never mind..

to change the topic of this thread : :lol
i would love to have a korean FRIEND not bf~ :lol :lol :lol *we`re not allowed to date* :fear:

nophankh

Post by nophankh » May 10th, '07, 23:31

ryokocho wrote: i'm a caucasian [mostly German hertiage, but a lot of other stuff in there] whose been dating a Lao boy for 4 years now.. his parents are okay with assimilating although they prefer the company of other Laotians and Thais [they hardly speak english], and my parents don't have any problem with who i date. i'm so glad he's not Hmong, only because i know he would have been most likely forbidden to looooove me :cry:

anyway, i try to learn Lao little by little so i can talk to his parents and family, and i go to family gatherings and they have accepted me. in a Korean family, would it matter how hard the 'outsider' is trying to fit in and be open with the family or person they are trying to date? or are most closed off to considering allowing it no matter what?
I'm Laotian and when it comes to dating outside our race, we don't have a problem with interracial dating. Most of my generation are marrying outside of their race, mostly to white people. Personally, i don't have a problem with that. When it comes to southeast Asians, I think we assimilated into our adopted culture and Koreans and Japanese want to cling on their culture. Personally I don't know any Koreans and Japanese people so I can't tell you why. That's fine with me also.

I think in the end if you are choosing who you want to love or date because of family politics and culture, then you're just pathetic. Just marry and love who you want to love. Come on now people, get with the program

OH to the girl that is gonna shack up with her Korean Bf, Don't do it. I don't know your bf and I definitely won't say he's the type that is gonna use you and leave you for a Korean girl; however, you have to consider his conservative culture. If his parents are conservative koreans who think that shaking up with some guy before marriage is slutty, then it's not good to start out a relationship like that. Family and their opinions are hard to break. I think you need to reconsider.

jinster

Re: It's alright ladies..

Post by jinster » May 11th, '07, 01:20

Pekana wrote:Offering yourself as a sacrifice to the Korean boyfriend thirsting masses? :lol
I don't feel like I'm Korean enough though. I can barely speak and understand the language, I don't smoke and I don't get involved in bizzare love triangles nor does anyone in my family have cancer.

I'm not too picky about the race of the girl, and my parents allowed my older brother to marry a half-Japanese/half Chinese girl so they seem cool for anything.

Of course I do have a (short) list of what I look for in girls:

- The ability to cook (or the willingness to learn from my mom!).
- Buy me a shirt every now and then, my wardrobe becomes stale without a girl around.
- Be very huggable! Nothing turns me off faster than a person who responds to a hug coldly.

Hmm, that's about it. Oh yeah, cuteness is always a bonus, but if you can't be cute and mature it'll only end in heartbreak.