Over the Rainbow (MBC, 2006)

Discuss Korean drama series here.
nikichiam

Post by nikichiam » Nov 28th, '06, 06:32

= =;; I don't know why but i hate Sang Mi aka Seo Ji Hye ....

smileytiffy07

Post by smileytiffy07 » Nov 28th, '06, 06:50

oooh i want to see this drama! =)

JoKing

Post by JoKing » Dec 18th, '06, 20:44

Hey,
Does anyone know where I can ep12 from?

The waiting is getting to me...LOL.

Thanks,

Jo.

sp4078

Post by sp4078 » Dec 19th, '06, 14:39

nikichiam wrote:= =;; I don't know why but i hate Sang Mi aka Seo Ji Hye ....
You got me on your side. I dun like Sang Mi for no reason. I dun know how crappy Kim Ok Bin in real life, but I like both her and her character.

bubblegumlover19

Post by bubblegumlover19 » Dec 23rd, '06, 03:41

what's the ending of this drama? is it like Hwae Hee [Rex] and Kim Ok-Bin being together? and Ji Hyun-Woo and Seo Ji-Hye being together?

Number 11 Ox

Post by Number 11 Ox » Dec 25th, '06, 03:37

Wow, I just finished watching this series last night. I've watched/started to watch about half a dozen Korean dramas so far, and this one was by far the best!

It violated my Hottie Rule -- that picking a movie/series to watch based a particular Hot Actress will invariably lead to disappointment. I started watching this just because Kim Ok-bin was in it (I had seen her in the movie Dasepo Naughty Girls), and was surprised to find the series was really good.

Unlike the last few Kdramas I've seen, this one didn't suffer from endless flashback montages or padded out episodes. It also is the only Kdrama I've seen so far where they actually built up some suspense as to who was going to end up romantically linked to who -- usually you know right from the first episode, but here I didn't know until the very last episode.

Both from the relative "realism" of the writing and Kim Ok-bin's performance, I actually stopped liking her part-way through the series -- I can see why fans hate her. It's an example of an actress being too believable in a role! I'll continue to check out whatever she stars in.

About her character arc:
I really wish her character had more of a redemption in the end though! I couldn't believe her character burned Heok Joo THREE times! Still love Kim Ok-bin...

PJB

Post by PJB » Dec 25th, '06, 09:40

Kim Ok-Bin pulls funny faces when she's acting. That's all I can say about her. :p

chocoholix

Post by chocoholix » Dec 25th, '06, 16:58

Number 11 Ox wrote:Wow, I just finished watching this series last night. I've watched/started to watch about half a dozen Korean dramas so far, and this one was by far the best!

It violated my Hottie Rule -- that picking a movie/series to watch based a particular Hot Actress will invariably lead to disappointment. I started watching this just because Kim Ok-bin was in it (I had seen her in the movie Dasepo Naughty Girls), and was surprised to find the series was really good.

Unlike the last few Kdramas I've seen, this one didn't suffer from endless flashback montages or padded out episodes. It also is the only Kdrama I've seen so far where they actually built up some suspense as to who was going to end up romantically linked to who -- usually you know right from the first episode, but here I didn't know until the very last episode.

Both from the relative "realism" of the writing and Kim Ok-bin's performance, I actually stopped liking her part-way through the series -- I can see why fans hate her. It's an example of an actress being too believable in a role! I'll continue to check out whatever she stars in.

About her character arc:
I really wish her character had more of a redemption in the end though! I couldn't believe her character burned Heok Joo THREE times! Still love Kim Ok-bin...
i actually really like her character. i appreciate the fact that she had the guts to play such a character when it would be obvious the fan respond.

i've always liked strong female characters who are not afraid to persue their dreams and unafraid to sacrifice. so far in all the kdramas i've watched i've only come across few such characters (Song Ji Hyo as Min Hyo - Rin in Goong and Kim Ok Bin as Jeong Hee - Su in this drama). what i dont like however is how they are depicted as cold, heart-breakers and most often in the end the ones who cry regretting their choices...

while i wont approve of their manner as such to achieve their dreams i do admire however their unwavering conviction towards attaining their goal.

Ada Wong

Post by Ada Wong » Dec 29th, '06, 23:19

I'm looking for Rex's song, the one he sings in the last episode. The title is 그리운건 어쩔 수 없어 I think, romanized as " geureeoongun ujjulsooupsuh" and translated as "I can't help missing you", anybody knows where I can get it ?

I also heard there are two OSTs for this drama, is that true ?

PJB

Post by PJB » Dec 30th, '06, 01:04

Ada Wong

Post by Ada Wong » Dec 30th, '06, 07:53

I asked because I didn't find anything with Google, otherwise I wouldn't have asked here :glare: But I finally found it somewhere else.

PJB

Post by PJB » Dec 30th, '06, 09:33

Funny, I managed to download the song by searching via Google. :P

Ada Wong

Post by Ada Wong » Dec 30th, '06, 14:36

Then I hate you already :crazy: :P What site ? Out of curiosity...

v0.0v

Post by v0.0v » Dec 30th, '06, 21:12

It's really weird, I feel the same way about the characters for seo ji hye and kim ok bin. I actually like kim ok bin's character in the drama, more than seo ji hye's. I hate how they made kim ok bin seem like a biatch in real life 0_0. I really liked her in hello mr god and dasepo girls. does anyone else feel the same? :unsure:

Chewyr

Post by Chewyr » Jan 1st, '07, 11:27

i watched upto episode 6 and i got kinda bored of it. The start was good but then it was getting abit draggy, so i didnt end up finishing it off.
BUt the dances weren't bad

Ada Wong

Post by Ada Wong » Jan 7th, '07, 11:28

There is some making-of on Youtube :
Are there any english subs for this ? I'd really like to know what they say.

rockin198

Post by rockin198 » Jan 12th, '07, 07:57

DOES ANYBODY KNOW THE CHINESE NAME FOR THIS DRAMA I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW

dreamstar

Post by dreamstar » Mar 31st, '07, 14:49

is it me or the torrents for this drama is not available anymore? =S
its pretty sad since I watched it and lost it due to hardware failure, and now that i want to collect all the episodes, the torrents is not there anymore, and theres completely no seeders. Anyone know any other place where I could download the HQ files to this series? I checked and its not even in withS2 clubbox.

ch3nny

Post by ch3nny » Apr 6th, '07, 12:56

does any know where i can find ma sang mi's canon in D ringtone? i can find da ringtone but it isnt da same as da one she has

gwiazdka

Post by gwiazdka » Apr 7th, '07, 21:24

does anybody know where i can find Hwanhee's song "I can't help missing you"?? i love it but i just can't find it anywhere :-(

kamejin

over the rainbow

Post by kamejin » Aug 3rd, '07, 03:02

i was just watching this drama...itz not as good as i thought but the songs are good...i was wondering, does anyone know the song that Rex (Fany) was singing in the last episode when he was in that competition...i can't find it anywhere

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Nov 7th, '08, 13:53

Anyone seen this recently? It's not too bad actually...if you're into k-pop and a bit of hip hop...gives some good insight into the music industry. I started watching this because of Kim Ok Bin, but ended up totally liking Seo Ji Hye :)

Just wondering though, did Hwanhee get surgery before or after he did this drama? Because I had a look at his latest drama I Love You, and he looks very different. Maybe it's the hair, but I think he looks better in OTR. Would've been a real shame if he got surgery and made himself look worse!

belleza

Post by belleza » Nov 7th, '08, 22:52

I thought "Over the Rainbow" was a bit underrated. There isn't a lot of romantic sparks, and I can't say the acting is excellent. But the story covers the ugly side (antis, shady promoters, the obvious truth that it's never been about the music) as well as the practical side (hard work, training, competition within label, the choices between popularity and integrity, etc.) the K-pop industry pretty well, and how many male artists start out as dancers before climbing up into music. Also, I liked that the "underdog" finally won, because I assumed he would end up with the other female lead.

Same writer as Beethoven Virus, BTW. Both dramas have grumpy, grumpy guys. :D
Just wondering though, did Hwanhee get surgery before or after he did this drama?
After. He got a new nose and turned into a vato loco!! :D FWIW, I like his new look.

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Nov 8th, '08, 14:43

Oh my...I would not have thought OTR to be your type of drama. I bet you only watched it to fangirl over Fanny eh? ;)

Soo...it was a new nose huh. What exactly was wrong with his original nose? He looked pretty good in this drama, but he also had a better hairstyle. I kinda liked him here, and his acting was not too bad for a singer with a nice voice. Brian's voice is still better though :)

belleza

Post by belleza » Nov 8th, '08, 21:26

Oh my...I would not have thought OTR to be your type of drama. I bet you only watched it to fangirl over Fanny eh?
Of course not. I would never . . . fangirl . . . over . . . .*SQUEEEEEE!!!!!! FANY I LUVULUVULUVULUVU* Fany. Cough.
Soo...it was a new nose huh. What exactly was wrong with his original nose?
I liked both noses. As a FTS fan, you get kinda stuck in between two positions. Was Fany fine with his old nose? Yes. Is Fany FINE with his new nose? Well I think so. I support Vato Holmes for his choice, while at the same time I thought Old Fany was fine too. Korean celebs and their noses. Sigh.

Haven't really decided between Brian and Fany. Sometimes I prefer the clarity and emotive elements of a tenor; sometimes I prefer the chocolate thickness of baritone. FTS is pretty awesome live BTW (no overdubbing there, no sir!); I saw them at last year's festival; they and Epik High really stood apart from the other acts.

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Feb 17th, '11, 21:18

is this good? I understood that this is a tragic drama, right?

I got idea of watching this, after seeing OST video. Sorry, but Hwanhee got me here. ;D

Sajen16

Post by Sajen16 » Jul 9th, '11, 18:01

Honestly it's not something I would normally watch but for some reason I like it so far probably because Asians in general are way better looking than westerners so that makes it bearable but I'm going to cry if Hee Su and Hyeok Ju are together in the end because while I have little self confidence one thing I know is even being overweight I'm 100 times more attractive than Hyeok Ju and Kim Ok Bin is hot