Incest in Japan

Talk about the culture and entertainment from Nihon.
goygakgoy

Incest in Japan

Post by goygakgoy » Nov 25th, '06, 02:30

Is incest normal and acceptable in Japan? Or more than other countries? I watch a lot of j-entertainment and there's a lot of incest in it. Nobody seems disgusted by it. A new movie based on an anime/manga is gonna come out soon and it seems that everybody is looking forward to it. When I read about incest in society, Japan seems to come out on top. What do u guys think? I like it....i respect that the Japanese doesn't try to fit into the mold of other societies.

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » Nov 25th, '06, 02:36

arent they fake.. ?? pretending to be siblings but they arent actually

skachild

Post by skachild » Nov 25th, '06, 02:54

talking about the movie... i think u are referring to Boku wa imouto ni koi wo suru movie rite..? the one with jun matsumoto.. 8)

there is a discussion thread for this movie at http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_27690_0.htm

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Nov 25th, '06, 17:48

goygakgoy wrote:Is incest normal and acceptable in Japan? Or more than other countries? I
Uh, no... I won't profess to be an expert or anything, but in general I would say, don't believe everything you watch on TV or read in manga is true of society in general... ^_^;

The whole point about taboo subjects such as incest is that they provide tons of fodder for conflict, which is really what interesting stories are all about. So just because people will write lots of stories about the subject, I wouldn't say its either normal or widely accepted. It's just a plot device...

I think the fact that you see it more commonly in asian cinema has to do more with the desire to challenge and explore the nuances of true/pure love. The west tends to have a more cynical view of love, otherwise, it's dubbed as some sappy chick-flick and generally not take seriously. In the US, incest is treated more as a joke than anything else, and at most the idea will be used for some Lifetime made-for-TV movie or something...

And not to get on the subject again :fear:, but I notice that Korean movies and dramas seem to take more angles exploring this theme than I've seen in Japanese entertainment. That might be because of the increased tension it brings to stories catered to a local audience that is both very conservative, yet very caught up in the idea of romantic love... Overall, the same can be said for most asian societies though, so... meh...

Once again, tension = interesting stories = $$....

777bas777

Post by 777bas777 » Nov 25th, '06, 18:04

I've lived there for over 5 years and the matter is quite complex.
In the Japanese society, incest is absolutely not done. It does happen just as much as in other countries although Japanese don't tend to speak about it much.
One really is considered to be trash if one is involved in incest.
Incest is in no way socially accepted in Japan.

Japanese men do have the tendency that they like young girls. As long as it isn't their daughter.
The exaggeration of this liking is shown in movies and manga.
What we see abroad Japan are mainly those type of movies and therefore a very distorted view of the real society.
Japan is more materialistic then other western countries and therefore one can get a lot of strange things as long as one is willing to pay for it.
And don't forget that there are over 100 million Japanese so even the smallest niche markets are huge.

20centuryboy

Post by 20centuryboy » Nov 25th, '06, 18:37

777bas777 wrote:Japanese men do have the tendency that they like young girls.
Just like in other countries... but in the west men just lie and say they don't... :lol

doink-chan
United States of America

Post by doink-chan » Nov 26th, '06, 02:32

doinkies will second what mizune said. Incest is a taboo in Japan just as it is in the West, and since it is taboo, it makes good conflict in a story. It's also a controversial topic, and that makes it even more attractive for scriptwriters to use since controversy sells...XD Dramas, anime, manga, etc. are mostly fiction and are not to be taken as a serious reflection of Japan. That would be the same as thinking that all American families are like The Simpsons and that all Americans are violent and carry guns based on watching some cop shows...

oceansportrait

Post by oceansportrait » Nov 26th, '06, 06:41

If you take a closer look at manga/dramas/movies that seem to have incest though, most of the time, they find out that they're not related later on in the series. The only manga that comes to mind that had REAL incest which later didn't turn into the "everything's okay now because we found out we're not related" situation is Koi Kaze. And the only drama that comes to mind is Sora Kara Furu Ichioku no Hoshi (but in the case of that drama, they didn't find out they were related until the last episode.) I haven't seen any movies that had any couples indulging in incest though.

goygakgoy

Post by goygakgoy » Nov 26th, '06, 07:04

In America, if u upped the age of an adult from 18 to 21, then within time, all of the guys gonna act like messing around with a 20 yrs old is sick.
20centuryboy wrote:
777bas777 wrote:Japanese men do have the tendency that they like young girls.
Just like in other countries... but in the west men just lie and say they don't... :lol

Prince of Moles

Post by Prince of Moles » Nov 28th, '06, 07:27

Depends on what you define as incest. I believe that it is legal (though not done often) to marry your 1st cousin in the US and in Japan. And I know that this doesn't happen in China or in Korea because that's considered incest.

As for anything closer than that, in most societies it is considered taboo and Japan is not an exception.

Hmm, now that I think about it, the only exception I can think of is ancient Egypt when brothers married their sisters often.

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Nov 28th, '06, 19:12

Prince, incest was common among certain royal families throughout European history, too. I also know that incest was quite common in certain abandoned villages high up a mountain just as long as 100 years ago in Austria and I'd imagine in any other scarcely-populated country as well. There is also a little group of people in Africa that have kept to themselves for a long time, and as a result many of their people have only 2 toes (I think... but might have been more or less than that; in any case, not the normal number of toes ^^) on each foot.

As for incest in Japanese entertainment, I don't think it's that common, really. I've probably seen it done more often in Korean stuff and European indie-movies.

Fun fact regarding the whole "Japanese men only like young girls" thing: I recently read an article saying that every 3rd marriage in Japan is now between an older woman and a younger man - which is a number far greater than in any other country I can think of. :lol It's not just the men who like them young in Japan, apparently. This is not to say that I don't think that young women are more attractivee to men - just that, in reality, many men seem to find a better match in women closer to their own age or even slightly above.

irwinc

Post by irwinc » Nov 28th, '06, 21:30

I can't believe this post is getting replies. After the first sentence my first thought was "What an idiot" and moved on...

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Nov 28th, '06, 21:30

irwinc wrote:I can't believe this post is getting replies. After the first sentence my first thought was "What an idiot" and moved on...
:lol :thumright:

risa

Post by risa » Nov 29th, '06, 06:51

Even in the US, although marrying your 1st cousin is legal, it's still a taboo sort of thing. Same goes for marrying step family. It's like incest is the same thing for even the most liberal of people as gay marriage for the extreme right. Maybe that's not the best comparison, though. ^^;;

Takekaze

Post by Takekaze » Nov 29th, '06, 07:07

irwinc wrote:I can't believe this post is getting replies. After the first sentence my first thought was "What an idiot" and moved on...
Point, set, match. Really, why reply to someone who seems to take manga as a fact. OIVECH!

externalfire

Post by externalfire » Jan 13th, '07, 08:18

W.T.F i knew that Japan was horny but incest?? are you fucken serious???.........
i dont get it..... i would seriously like an answer as well...
and goygakgoy.... you respect them?.. wtf..... i would respect them if they tended to go to umm how would you say a less "evil" way...

Eliza

Post by Eliza » Jan 14th, '07, 10:47

Prince of Moles wrote: Hmm, now that I think about it, the only exception I can think of is ancient Egypt when brothers married their sisters often.
Well, Japan the same! Heian period, marrying siser/btother was normal, sometimes even desired in royal family.(pure blood etc^^*)
There was one condition though. Sibling with same mother couldn't get married, sibling with one father, but different mothers was ok to get married. Also marrying a nice, cousin, uncle, aunt...happened very often.
Although it was more complicated because men had many wives and concubines.
But it's fun just to look at Heian period family trees of Japanese aristocracy.

Of course, now it's taboo, (just like it was said before)

getsuga

Post by getsuga » Jan 14th, '07, 10:59

Incest like in koikaze...?

Saburo

Post by Saburo » Jan 21st, '07, 02:04

Doubt it's a problem in Japan but I once saw this pretty wacky drama with incest as the topic, "Ai to wa Keshite Koukai Shinaido" starring Ogata Naoto and Otsuka Nene, apparently being the talk of the town with their evil ways. Check it out if you can find it! The opening title sequence is brilliant!

general stuelpnagel

incest in japan

Post by general stuelpnagel » Mar 26th, '10, 21:46

if the legend is not real, then it is at least a perfectly woven phantasy.

just think of yourself developing a sexual phantasy - everything has to be realistic, every bondage must be in place,...it´s a mental fetish thing, right!

and so it is with one of man´s favourite taboo - incest!

sure it happens in reality, but sane people will forever just phantasize about it, thank god!!!

now think: what is the sexiest variety of incest? is it the lecherous dad jumping on his daughter as soon as she grows udders? not for the tender ones !
No, it is mummy, intimately giving darling boy jobs from the ago of zero and taking control of his ****!
(would love to know how many mothers give their babies handjobs and massages just to support blood circulation and growth, maybe with a little fingering up the ass - i mean at least she gave you life under a lot of strain,- so let us not deny big mama a little fiddling around on her very creation, who has the competence if not she ??!!!
after all we are animals and not contestants in a morality contest!!!

and then take the japanese - their strangeness, their obscure maternalism, their passion for education,-- well, ready is the stew!!
Mother saying to son "use my body, wanking is not good, whore´s are expensive etc....,

a perfectly WORKING incest fantasy to inspire you, nothing wrong about it as far as i am concerned!

real incest is another thing - i do not believe that it happens among happily earthbound people, no matter how openminded, primitive, modern or ambitious a society is.
a mother sucking her son off is a turn on as a perverted idea,
but it is apalling when it really happens - it is definitely not healthy, every bacteria knows that!!

stepmoms are another topic )))

Tass

Post by Tass » Mar 26th, '10, 22:06

lulz... you just registered to bump an over 3 yr old thread? ... rly?
and your wall of text with hard to decipher bs shall tell us... what exactly?

I assume you found this thread via google b/c you have some issues on your own to solve ;)

Incest is fine, the british do it for over 200 years and they perform very well on their island ;)

general stuelpnagel

Post by general stuelpnagel » Mar 26th, '10, 22:36

aberhallo, no need to shove, i meant it serious. and since you are in the same room, there should be no discussion about the topic as a topic
i do not care about the age of the thread (unlike you i am no expert here,lol (what is "lulz"?))

of course i googled it, for whatsoever reason,,
and i do have no issue to solve, me just interested in the topic from time to time.

looks more that you have an issue on england,
or why would you make fun of the grand island as a lot of inbred??

regards,
martin,
vienna