Hawaii D-Addicts

speak whatever language you like here.
blueeyedwolf
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by blueeyedwolf » Sep 7th, '06, 22:04

Hey pucca, any luck with the hawaiian translation? I could bug one of my kumus here at the Hilo campus if not.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Sep 8th, '06, 00:08

dochira wrote:I been to Oahu 4 times, so does that make me a part-time Hawaii D-Addict? :lol Actually I have met Jholic and Ahochaude (of JDorama.com).

I just read about the H-1 mess. Hopefully no one here was affected and/or had to sleep in their cars.
hey dochira! i think we can welcome you as an honorary hawaii d-addict! nice to see you drop by! sorry i missed you when you came up here.

Willx24601

Post by Willx24601 » Sep 8th, '06, 08:42

dochira wrote: I just read about the H-1 mess. Hopefully no one here was affected and/or had to sleep in their cars.
i ride the bus and man it was horrible! i caught it around 8:45 pm... didn't get home till 1 am... crazy huh? good thing it was some what empty and everyone (maybe 20 of us) was in those long bus and was sleeping everywhere like crazy... i feel bad for the bus drivers though...
wewa wrote: Good places to rent asian DVDs in town?
i'll say diamond head video in pearl kai has a good selection... try alpha video (i go to waipahu) too... anyone know any good place to rent Korean TV DVDs?

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Sep 9th, '06, 02:37

will: i used to ride the #49 - ewa beach - home at night years ago. think they changed the number now. the commute was almost hour half each way. was crazy. plus too, at late night, you get to meet some interesting characters. :lol

"diamond head video?" ehhhhhhh. that's not the sukebe one, ah?? :rofl: nah, nah, just joking!

Willx24601

Post by Willx24601 » Sep 11th, '06, 12:30

jholic wrote:will: i used to ride the #49 - ewa beach - home at night years ago. think they changed the number now. the commute was almost hour half each way. was crazy. plus too, at late night, you get to meet some interesting characters. :lol
haha commute is horrible now.. it changed to #42, and all the weirdos are on the Makaha (#40) bus... it's scary! :crazy:

mimmi

Post by mimmi » Sep 30th, '06, 09:16

hi everybody....talking about bus ride....one time on my stop over on Hono. over night....I took the bus for just an experience....the guys on the bus were very nice and the bus driver too....I forgot what's the bus #.....I told the bus driver to drop me off at a grocery store or closer to some kind of shopping center....he told me there's nothing on his route, but he'll took a detour to a closer shopping center, the mall will be close at the time since it's a sunday and after hrs. already, but there's a grocery store there that's still open....I said that's fine, I might find souvenir at the grocer, than buying at the airport or at Hilton hotel....so he was nice to took me there and told me what bus # to catch for my way back....very nice fellows on the bus.... it was dark by the time I came to the store, but memorable experience :-)....I still want to make the same trip next time I'm stopping over and if over night in Hono again :-)....

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Oct 1st, '06, 03:57

mimmi: i was trying for read your post, but dangit if Willx's goto maki sig file wasn't distracting me the whole frekkin' time!!

hey, you must have some charm, yeah? or this must've been a while ago. hawaii's got the best people, but the bus driver's are really on or off. last time i was catching the bus, i remember they were REALLY strict about stopping at the stop only. nowhere else. had one old lady trying for run for the stop. the bus driver could've easily just stopped and picked her up, then proceed to the stop, but he just passed her and made her run the rest of the way. that's why your story surprised me.

eh, the warriors better win tonight. i was disappointed when they had that chance to beat boise st, and couldn't convert that 4th down!

mimmi

Post by mimmi » Oct 1st, '06, 16:19

jholic wrote:mimmi: i was trying for read your post, but dangit if Willx's goto maki sig file wasn't distracting me the whole frekkin' time!!

hey, you must have some charm, yeah? or this must've been a while ago. hawaii's got the best people, but the bus driver's are really on or off. last time i was catching the bus, i remember they were REALLY strict about stopping at the stop only. nowhere else. had one old lady trying for run for the stop. the bus driver could've easily just stopped and picked her up, then proceed to the stop, but he just passed her and made her run the rest of the way. that's why your story surprised me.

eh, the warriors better win tonight. i was disappointed when they had that chance to beat boise st, and couldn't convert that 4th down!
:lol yeah, Willx's sig....I think it'll be quite distracting for you guys; that's just to show you're a hot blooded man :lol :lol :lol....I was actually pause for a sec. too to watch that little dance too :lol, and no I'm not weird, but I appreciate art and dance is part of art, right? and that's when you see how artistic the person is (on he/she put the moves in his/her dance movement....maybe Willx should add up a guys dance move too :lol

yeah, it's a few years back when I made that trip....about the charm; some people always told me that i'm a very charming young lady, and that my looks is so mysterious; intriguing and that makes people interested in me, just by looking at me from afar and makes them want to talk to me, to get to know me better....they also said "my accent is so mysterious too and my movement is so sauve, and it tells that I'm a through bred girl"....these comments came from people; both sexes and older, much older than me....so I don't know....to this day, I still stare at my face and smile in the mirror for a few sec., but just couldn't see it....I still bug my husband too, to tell me what make him see me, the very first time....his answer is just like what the older people told me. so I'm still puzzle, and wonder myself...:lol so maybe it was my lucky day too that the bus driver ws nice :lol....so with the game, I hope they won....did they? :lol

sarcasstik
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by sarcasstik » Oct 8th, '06, 05:12

Good to see that this thread is still alive and well. Welcome to all newcomers :cheers:

Anyway, has anyone been to the grand opening of the "new and improved" Don Quijote's? I drove by today, and there were about ten gajillion cars jammed in and around the parking lot, so that was a cancelled mission.

sarcasstik
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by sarcasstik » Oct 8th, '06, 05:13

And that sig is rather... distracting :lol

groink

Post by groink » Oct 8th, '06, 05:30

sarcasstik wrote:Anyway, has anyone been to the grand opening of the "new and improved" Don Quijote's? I drove by today, and there were about ten gajillion cars jammed in and around the parking lot, so that was a cancelled mission.
I was down at the one in the Ala Moana area Friday night. I didn't walk in though; I used the parking lot for my trip to Nippon Video. The whole area was mobbed, so I was damn lucky just to get parking.

When the next isssues of Kokiku and Ai-Eye come out, I'll make my next trip.

--- groink

mimmi

Post by mimmi » Oct 8th, '06, 06:23

@ jholic....looks like a few posts got deleted during the last prob.....anyway, as I was saying about the game....that was a big difference in the final score; 44-9 I think, if my memory serves me right :lol....as for the powerhouse, I hope you guys get it back; for your sake and happiness :lol....and I feel bad for not able to watch some of those sports in your area, maybe a cable t.v. won't be a bad idea (direct tv is usually shows all the sports, you'll get tired of it)....so is your warriors play this weekend? if so, how's the score comparing to last game (last week)....for the compliments....write something nice like a short poem or pros, then post it, so we can all complimenting you on; yehey! :cheers: :D....

sarcasstik
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by sarcasstik » Oct 10th, '06, 02:58

groink wrote: I was down at the one in the Ala Moana area Friday night. I didn't walk in though; I used the parking lot for my trip to Nippon Video. The whole area was mobbed, so I was damn lucky just to get parking.
Oh, I've seen that place. Do they rent/sell subtitled stuff?

And, I think "mobbed" is the correct term indeed. People call us outer-island people "out of it", but really? Going crazy over a GROCERY STORE? Come on...

And by the way, it wasn't that great. Just lots of plasticy plants and blinding signs hanging from the ceiling.

mimmi

Post by mimmi » Oct 10th, '06, 20:11

off topic here, but totally bored , so just drop bye to say hi to everybody....so how is it going with everybody?....

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Oct 11th, '06, 00:58

howzit, mimmi! how's everyone doing?
mimmi wrote:@ jholic....looks like a few posts got deleted during the last prob
i know yeah! i think was one pretty long-ass post too!! and thoughtful (like most of my posts are ... nah, nah!)
sarcasstik wrote:anyone been to the grand opening of the "new and improved" Don Quijote's?
man, i really gotta get used to that name. it not being daiei is really weird. is it still owned by a jp company? or mexican or something?

well, the warriors won against nevada. next up is idaho, but that's not until next month.

wahine vball is doing pretty well, but i wish they'd play more of the big teams. ever since we've gone to the wac, we've smashed everyone, but our competition level vs big teams has fallen pretty drastically.

eh, i heard the vog hit oahu or something, yeah?

groink

Post by groink » Oct 11th, '06, 01:06

jholic wrote:man, i really gotta get used to that name. it not being daiei is really weird.
LOL! Saburo and I still refer to the store as "Holiday Mart". That should indicate to everyone my old man status.

--- groink

puccakiss79
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by puccakiss79 » Oct 12th, '06, 05:00

Aloha all!

It's that time again, Hawaii International Film Festival!! Anyone planning on attending any showings? This year they are going to air four free movies for Sunset on the Beach. I want to see the "Check it Out, Yo" movie. There are lots of good movies airing :D If anyone wants to recommend something, please do, with over 200 movies to check out, I don't know what I shouldn't miss! I know I'll be watching, Vietnam's Saigon Love Story, Mexico's Babel, China's Banquet, and South Korea's Host. There are so much movies and not enough time to watch them all on the big screen!

mimmi

Post by mimmi » Oct 12th, '06, 14:48

good morning everybody....

@ jholic....sorry for the long post, but as the saying goes "women has alot to talk about, so they talk too long eventhough it's about nonsense things :lol"....sorry, I'll try to post much shorter next time....so good for your warrior team, way to go!! :cheers:....still waiting for your poem or pros. :whistling:...don't say you're not poetic, all pacific islander boys are so poetic, so treat us with one your verses :lol....sorry I'm in a weird mood, hrm :lol....

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Oct 12th, '06, 23:43

hey pucca! glad to hear from you again. man, i wish i was there to see the festival. don't they have a website or something? how much are the tickets, usually?

hey mimmi: it's ok. i no mind if you post a long one. it's nice to read. but you confused me. did i say i was going write one poem?? i'm probably the least poetic guy here!

ok, i guess i'll just make something up:

roses are red,
violets are blue,
posting at d-addicts
will bring out the mimmi in you-you.

oh, i can already hear the groans! :lol

groink

Post by groink » Oct 12th, '06, 23:48

If I do go to any of the HIFF events, it will be YAMATO.

--- groink

steam

Post by steam » Oct 13th, '06, 00:33

i live in SF now but graduated UH Manoa...will visit nov30-dec7...vacation.. :) can't wait to go to daiei.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Oct 14th, '06, 03:26

eh, steam. welcome to the thread.

how's SF? everyone tells me its fun and beautiful, but super expensive. i guess like hawaii. how is it compared to hawaii?

puccakiss79
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by puccakiss79 » Oct 14th, '06, 04:57

jholic wrote:hey pucca! glad to hear from you again. man, i wish i was there to see the festival. don't they have a website or something? how much are the tickets, usually?
howzit going jholic. Yeah they have website hiff.org but here's the link for the listing of this year's movies. http://www.hiff.org/filmlisting_tickets ... -F2006.php

I can't remember how much the tickets cost. $9 or $10? I have memebership so I try to stay within my ticket allowance of 6 movie tickets but I may go over that this year. It costs $8 for members.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Oct 15th, '06, 03:55

eh, pucca, howzit!

woah! never knew they had so many films there! they showing ALL that??? i thought there was only a couple of films at the festival. they even have ROBOTECH!! man, now i really wish i was there! haha! thanks for the links. i think one of my other friends is a member too. will have to ask which one he's going to.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Oct 15th, '06, 04:39

oh, and i wanted to say how happy i was to hear that the warriors rolled today. 68-37 over fresno st. wish i could have seen the game, but dem's the breaks. i heard our PAT team was pretty awful, though. when i watched brennan before i left, i felt he had a lot of potential. looks like he's starting to get into the groove of things. i also have confidence in graunke. i hope he'll get more playing time. good win! congrats, warriors!

himekohimura
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by himekohimura » Oct 15th, '06, 23:07

minna daijoubu?
the earthquake was really big, so I wanted to know how everyone is doing ^^
It woke me up from a dead sleep~
The big island is a 'state of emergancy' right now.
Power outages, airports are closed, and rocks are all over the roads and roofs fell down D:
Everyone okay?

SecretAznMan

Post by SecretAznMan » Oct 15th, '06, 23:56

Hope you Hawaii folks doing okay there. I have been through a big Quake like that the Loma Prieta in San Francisco and I know it can be a real pain after wards, no power, lots of damage, need cash to purchase simple items and no news about what exactly is going on, all when your in the middle of it.

Anyway my thoughts and prayers are with you guys.

mimmi

Post by mimmi » Oct 16th, '06, 00:34

I hope everybody are fine, (just heard the news) ....my thoughts and prayers are with you too....I'll get back to you jholic next time....sorry, i think you might be worry especially you're too far away from home....my thoughts and prayer are with you too, so I won't do any bs-ing this evening....

groink

Post by groink » Oct 16th, '06, 01:17

I got my power back!!!!!!!!!!!! My cable TV is still down though... But at least my bunny ears and KIKU-TV is up.

Right now, about 30-percent of the state has its power restored. Even Hilo on the big island has power. All of Honolulu is still down.

--- groink

sarcasstik
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by sarcasstik » Oct 16th, '06, 06:59

yes!!! I finally got power back, too!

puccakiss79
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by puccakiss79 » Oct 16th, '06, 21:13

Much of the Salt Lake buildings got power back at about 2am. I was actually sleeping but was awoken when people from my building started cheering :D It was hard for the elderly women in my building; but luckily this is a small building so much of us took turns staying with them during the blackout. I can't imagine being alone without electricity for 19 hours.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Oct 17th, '06, 00:14

hey, glad everyone's alright. i heard there's still some aftershocks and stuff.

i'm happy to hear there were no fatalities. i was trying to reach friends and family, and it wasn't too hard to get through to them after a few hours.
puccakiss79 wrote:Much of the Salt Lake buildings got power back at about 2am.
..... I can't imagine being alone without electricity for 19 hours.
gotta give heco some credit. not sure if it's just easier cuz it's one island, but they usually restore power pretty quickly.

here in dc, we had a bad thunderstorm last winter, and i was out for about 36 hrs. the food in my fridge was spoiling, not to mention not being able to do anything. and the weather not like hawaii.

doesn't beat my friend who lives a few bldgs down. he was out for THREE DAYS. walked up and down 15 flights of stairs every one of those days. like i said, i think heco deserves some credit.

everyone here who knew i was from hawaii kept asking me how my family was and stuff. so playing on their misconception of the islands, i was telling them how my VILLAGE was kinda damaged, cuz when the palm trees sway, the cocounts fall and hit the straw roof and grass huts. i only joke about it cuz i knew everyone was ok.

SHD
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by SHD » Oct 17th, '06, 00:28

jholic wrote:i was telling them how my VILLAGE was kinda damaged, cuz when the palm trees sway, the cocounts fall and hit the straw roof and grass huts.
what you mean "joking" 'at's how really was!

nah, i agree it sucked without power--on one hand i don't think we're very well prepared for a major emergency judging by several things i.e. the return of service of utilities, the airport/Waikiki situation, slow and minimal communication from civil defense, etc. but then reading your situation you're right, we got back most services relatively quickly. my cable was still out though :-(

aren't nya! fansubs big island-based? haven't seen a post from any of them.

puccakiss79
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by puccakiss79 » Oct 17th, '06, 00:34

jholic wrote:hey, glad everyone's alright. i heard there's still some aftershocks and stuff.

i'm happy to hear there were no fatalities. i was trying to reach friends and family, and it wasn't too hard to get through to them after a few hours.
puccakiss79 wrote:Much of the Salt Lake buildings got power back at about 2am.
..... I can't imagine being alone without electricity for 19 hours.
gotta give heco some credit. not sure if it's just easier cuz it's one island, but they usually restore power pretty quickly.

here in dc, we had a bad thunderstorm last winter, and i was out for about 36 hrs. the food in my fridge was spoiling, not to mention not being able to do anything. and the weather not like hawaii.

doesn't beat my friend who lives a few bldgs down. he was out for THREE DAYS. walked up and down 15 flights of stairs every one of those days. like i said, i think heco deserves some credit
Isn't it amazing how much relies on electricity? Luckily, my friend who grad w/ me from KSBE works at Kahe Power Plant. He also lives below me, so he told me early on, Salt Lake won't get it till the early morning. With Hurricane season here, I was amazed to learn most of the ppl in my building don't have a Home Survival Kit. We had to distribute MRI to some tenants. Luckily, my friend's brother who just got back from Iraq had a whole bunch in his apt. But I stuck to soda crackers and PB! I never tried that MRI stuff. I hope I won't have to one day, but if I do, I will be grateful!

Actually, a lot of ppl need credit for yesterday, HECO, HPD, HFD, EMS, the radio and news staff. HECO is still working hard. I went into work at Sand Island and about 10a our power went out. For me that's great, no work, but I bet a lot of them are already tired and want to rest.

As for me, I can concentrate on restocking my frig. :D Now the question is how far will I have to go to get more milk? :lol

puccakiss79
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by puccakiss79 » Oct 17th, '06, 00:39

SHD wrote:we got back most services relatively quickly. my cable was still out though :-(
Ouch, no cable. I heard about some places without cable. Some poor lady called the radio station this morning and wanted to know who Flava Flav chose on his VH1 show! Hahaha! I hope you get your cable on soon.

I heard on the radio this morning, da Bomb had the phsycic lady on and she said she had predicted an earthquake off of Big Island sometime between the 13-15th of October. She did it on the Frank B Shaner station, dunno which that is. But anyway, she said they'll be another smaller and less problematic earthquake at the end of November. Maybe the 27th or 28th. Don't have to panic, it'll be around 4.7 / 5.0 area. But keep an eye on that date. I want to see if she's correct :-)

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Oct 17th, '06, 00:55

SHD: i think himeko's part of nya and she posted on pg12. hope everyone else in nya is doing good.

pucca: you get the hookups, yeah? i heard those mri's are pretty good (but i thought they were called mrE's.) and you're right, a lot more people deserve credit for getting everything back together. i know it's hard work for bring everything up, but those guys get compensated big time. in the company i worked at, the workers were getting choke overtime for what they were putting in. when iniki and iwa hit, they were pulling in some pretty good bucks.

woah, people predicting more earthquakes? that's kinda scary...

mimmi

Post by mimmi » Oct 17th, '06, 21:31

glad to read that everybody is fine....yeah, it must be hard without electricity for a while....I'll get my news about relations that live in Hawaii from the midwest....I'm bashful to contact them directly, so my midwest connection usually informed me of what's happening so that way I'm updated on everybody :-)....just glad though that my old folks went home just before the earthquake....was so worried, almost made a reservation to fly there, but my brother in the midwest just told me that they left the day before the earthquake....wow, that's a big relief....sorry for the rambling on....and @ jholic....glad everything is fine with you and that you're not worried; so I'm losing sleep, worried about you for nothing :glare: :lol :lol....just kidding :-)...

steam

Post by steam » Oct 17th, '06, 22:06

jholic wrote:eh, steam. welcome to the thread.

how's SF? everyone tells me its fun and beautiful, but super expensive. i guess like hawaii. how is it compared to hawaii?
Food is definitely cheaper in SF and more variety. To tell u the truth, i didn't really enjoy living in HI, however, i do enjoy coming to HI as a tourist. Fun to visit, mediocre to live.

puccakiss79
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by puccakiss79 » Oct 18th, '06, 01:08

eh guys!! I don't know if I'm the only fanatic here that is in love with Ha Ji Won, but guess what!! She's presenting her film, The Duelist, in-person this Thursday at 845pm!! You know I'll be there!

SHD
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by SHD » Oct 18th, '06, 07:02

puccakiss79 wrote:eh guys!! I don't know if I'm the only fanatic here that is in love with Ha Ji Won, but guess what!! She's presenting her film, The Duelist, in-person this Thursday at 845pm!! You know I'll be there!
you just know you're not alone....it's going to be crazy that night.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Oct 19th, '06, 00:06

pucca: you realize that's the same time as CSI, right? nah!

hey, if you take pics, post them here. we'll live through you. :lol

blueeyedwolf
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by blueeyedwolf » Oct 19th, '06, 00:30

i think himeko's part of nya and she posted on pg12. hope everyone else in nya is doing good.
Yep! Us Nya girls are doing fine....well...the two of us that felt the earthquake are since Setsuna is in Japan living it up. :P *SO JEALOUS!><* But ya, I heard that Kona people got it real bad. So I contacted Setsuna since she's from Kona, and she said that there was broken glass everywhere and part of her stairs was busted. But other than that everyone in her family was fine. SO glad to hear that :whistling: phew~

Some friends that I know were also trapped in their subdivisions in Kohala and Kau. Evidently the roads were closed because of the boulders in the middle of road, and some roads had cracks too big to drive over them. As far as Hilo goes, nothing that I know of really broke. We just were surprised by the island doing the hula though.^^ And the only thing I suffered from was being knocked over by my trembling husky-wolf dog. It's the first time he's experienced an earthquake since he's still semi-puppy.^^ Glad to hear that everyone else is doing fine though. :mrgreen:

groink

Post by groink » Oct 19th, '06, 00:54

In today's Honolulu Advertiser... Section C, page 1, where they talk about peoples' computers getting messed up because of the power situation, they have a sidebar item where HECO will allow people to submit claims for loss of equipment if the loss was due to the power coming back on this past Sunday. The phone number is 543-4624.

--- groink

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Oct 20th, '06, 03:47

mimmi: HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! (tanjyobi omedetou!)
:party: :alcoholic: :thumleft: :w000t: :note: :clap: :dance: :notworthy: :heart:

blueeyed: hey, glad to hear from you. sorry to hear that setsuna had some damage to her house, but at least she's alright. i would've probably been like your dog - i've never been through an earthquake before, and i think it would've freaked me out! :pale:

blueeyedwolf
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by blueeyedwolf » Oct 20th, '06, 17:42

i've never been through an earthquake before, and i think it would've freaked me out!
Really? I thought you were from Oahu? Doesn't Oahu have earthquakes too?

You should be glad you don't live in Japan though. Japan has mean earthquakes. When I was there there was a mean one. I was in school and just so happened to look outside cause the birds were making weird noises, and I saw the telephone polls swaying like coconuts trees. A second later the whole school shook and we had to take cover under our desks. Because of that shake some of the houses near by caught on fire too. Evidently the gas line broke and exploded. It was a really scary one for me because my class room was on the second floor of a very old building and we could hear the explosions in the distance.

I'm just hoping Setsuna doesn't experience one of those while she's there.....it can be rather shocking even though she may be used to Hawaiian earthquakes. They're totally different. :sweat:

puccakiss79
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by puccakiss79 » Oct 21st, '06, 00:09

@mimmi! Happy Birthday!! You share the same birthday as my mom!

For those that went to HJW's movie, wasn't she absolutely beautiful!!!? I apologize to those that were wanting to see pics, mine are really really really bad! I will link the ones that are crappy and the rest will just be dumped. Sorry again.

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/2472/img0516bt1.jpg
http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/4715/img0514ve2.jpg
http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/6407/img0517lp5.jpg

LOL, if you clicked on those links, I am so sorry they are so crappy! But of course, we've got video!! No, I didn't tape it, some camera man did. The KBFD camera man was pretty cute but this video is not by him. Anyway back to the topic. Video!

Did you guys see me? http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/1451/hjwhiffyw7.jpg

Pwahaha, that picture isn't any better than the ones I took. But I'm glad the video was uploaded so quickly! As you can see, it wasn't that crowded. In fact, there wasn't even a rush line. I have to say too bad, I really enjoyed the movie and think a lot of other film fans would have loved its beauty and camera effects, not to mention the hilarious faces Ha Ji Won makes! I never imagined I get to see her beautiful face 10ft tall! Amazing! I wish I could see all her films on the big screen!

Thanks for letting me share guys!

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Oct 21st, '06, 01:05

blueeyedwolf wrote:Really? I thought you were from Oahu? Doesn't Oahu have earthquakes too?
kinda rare, and we usually don't feel them at all. there was supposedly one when i was in college that was pretty substantial, but i think it was about 6 in the morn on a weekend. it definitely didn't disturb my sleep!! :lol
blueeyedwolf wrote:You should be glad you don't live in Japan though. Japan has mean earthquakes.
i know. on my last trip there, the tour guide told us tokyo gets about 40 quakes a year. most of them (thankfully) minor. supposedly, they get through it because of some famous architect (i forget if was american or european or something), but he designed the bldgs to be 'flexible.' that way, would sway with the motion of the quake instead of totally breaking apart. flexible concrete. go figure.

pucca: nah, your pics not that bad. i can see that head super clear! nah, NAH!! just joke!! :whistling: wow, must've been pretty crowded, but thanks for at least providing us some shots at least. eh, happy birthday to your mom too!
ho! you famous! i gotta get one autograph later! hahahaha!

thanks for sharing!

wildbill86

Post by wildbill86 » Oct 21st, '06, 01:39

anyone here watch jumong?

mimmi

Post by mimmi » Oct 21st, '06, 05:56

wildbill86 wrote:anyone here watch jumong?

Yeah, I watch jumong too....great saga (drama) isn't it? :-)....

@ jholic and pucca....thanks for the good wishes....appreciate it

@ jholic....yeah, you're right....after all that partying, my heart is just beating so wildly....is that mean I'm getting too old to be partying? :lol :lol :lol....oh and about the poem, your confused because that was a post that got deleted; (you mentioned; the only compliment you get from older people is as if you went to schlool with them), then I suggested that you write a short poem or pros them post it so we can all compliment you on....so here it goes ( it's nice, eventhough you borrowed somebody's 2 lines, but you added up your own creativity with it :-)....so which mimmi you're revering to in your short verse? Is it the nice, caring, funny mimmi, or the crazy, loony one? or the bs-ing one? :lol....come on, don't be shy, don't bite, I won't be offended :lol....

@ pucca....your mom must be a very nice, kind, gentle, understanding lady too, just like me :D :lol...a belated "happy birthday" wish for her.....and thanks for sharing those picts. :-)....

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Oct 22nd, '06, 03:15

mimmi wrote:so which mimmi you're revering to in your short verse? Is it the nice, caring, funny mimmi
of course it's that one!

wildbill: haven't seen it yet. what did you think about it?

wildbill86

Post by wildbill86 » Oct 22nd, '06, 04:44

i think it is great i usually like this type of drama

mimmi

Post by mimmi » Oct 23rd, '06, 03:59

just stop by again to say "Hi" to everybody and wishing everybody to have a great week :-)....

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Oct 24th, '06, 00:25

hey mimmi, how are you recovering .... oops, i meant, doing!

how about them warriors?? i felt brennan had a lot of potential when he first came to hawaii, and now he's developing into a really great qb. i think the warrior offense is exceptional with him at the helm. defense was a bit sloppy, but we beat new mexico 49-30.

does anyone know if there is any free streaming of UH games (football, basketball, vball, etc.) on the net? i found the ktuh radio site which is great, but i would really like to watch it.

mimmi

Post by mimmi » Oct 29th, '06, 15:54

how is it going everybody....hope everybody had a great week and weekend too....wishing everybody another great week! :-)....

@ jholic: ok, ok, don't make fun of this old granny here :lol....pretty much doing fine now, except my heart got shot again by the arrow, "ouch!!, the pain!!" :lol....

Wow! your warriors are really doing great....that would have been an exciting game to watch :-)....

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Oct 31st, '06, 04:05

hi mimmi, hope all is well with you. heart shot by an arrow, huh? :)

apparently the warriors are on a roll. 68-10 on idaho. that's pretty impressive. i think idaho must've had some major problems on defense. i think colt brennan might be able to take us to a bowl.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Nov 5th, '06, 15:38

CONGRATULATIONS, HAWAII WARRIORS!!

i'm really impressed with how colt brennan has mastered the offense. he even showed up on ESPNs top10 plays of the day as number5. i thought that meant a lot for the program.

i also hear that they're going to broadcast the purdue game on espn2, so i'm hoping to stay up late and watch it.

moving from UH athletics, i also hear that they're thinking of building a rail system in hawaii (which was proposed many times before). i haven't heard everything about it, but i think hawaii needs it. since i've been here in the east coast, i have to admit i am very impressed with their metro system. it's extremely convenient. i've heard some people complain about how packed some of the cars are, or they have to actually wait 15min for one to come.... sheez! i got nothing but love for my home, but until these guys have tried the bus system in hawaii or tried going from ewa to town, they don't got a clue what REAL traffic is like!! :lol

mimmi

Post by mimmi » Nov 6th, '06, 06:59

just drop by to say Hi to everybody....everybody must been so busy with school and work....(this thread is kind a death)....hope everybody all fine there in Hawaii :-)....

@ jholic....that's a very good news for your warriors, I'm happy for you, and may you able to stay up and watch that game, just drink plenty of coffee the next day :D....

ALOHA everybody have a great week, be it at work, be it at school and be it on a golf course!!! :-)....

blueeyedwolf
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by blueeyedwolf » Nov 6th, '06, 17:59

jholic wrote:
i also hear that they're thinking of building a rail system in hawaii (which was proposed many times before). i haven't heard everything about it, but i think hawaii needs it.
Really? :blink I haven't heard anything yet....I should go find out.
since i've been here in the east coast, i have to admit i am very impressed with their metro system. it's extremely convenient. i've heard some people complain about how packed some of the cars are, or they have to actually wait 15min for one to come.... sheez! i got nothing but love for my home, but until these guys have tried the bus system in hawaii or tried going from ewa to town, they don't got a clue what REAL traffic is like!!
Amen to that! I've always wondered myself if and when they would build a metrorail (is that even a word? :scratch: ).

After living in Japan for many years, and experiencing their awesome rail system first hand, I've found it very convenient and safe to get to places even as a child. Unlike Oahu where the bus system is decent (compared to the Hilo), our bus system really sucks! We have like one pick up once a day, and if we're lucky we have it twice. That's why most of us are forced to get a car, carpool, or have someone pick up and drop off. It's really inconvenient if you ask me. I think if anything the Big Island really needs it too. The traffic isn't as bad as Oahu (used to live near UH and commuted to Ala Moana to work), it's still pretty bad. Especially during rush hour. I avoid it like a plague.

There are also a lot of commuters from Hilo to Kona and visa versa. Whether for business or schooling, it takes roughly 2 hours each way. I think it'll be awesome to get to Kona and back in like an hour or so. But, I think the problem with our island is that we have volcanoes and many earthquakes caused by them. I think if anything, Oahu would be the first to get the rail system before any other islands....you lucky buggahs! :P

puccakiss79
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by puccakiss79 » Nov 8th, '06, 21:08

jholic wrote:moving from UH athletics, i also hear that they're thinking of building a rail system in hawaii (which was proposed many times before). i haven't heard everything about it, but i think hawaii needs it. since i've been here in the east coast, i have to admit i am very impressed with their metro system. it's extremely convenient. i've heard some people complain about how packed some of the cars are, or they have to actually wait 15min for one to come.... sheez! i got nothing but love for my home, but until these guys have tried the bus system in hawaii or tried going from ewa to town, they don't got a clue what REAL traffic is like!! :lol
My sister says the same thing about the people in Pasco, Washington complaining of traffic. No Clue!

Traffic really isn't an issue for me. I live in Salt Lake and work in Sand Island. Simple. I wish we could have more commercial development towards West O`ahu (including better/more access to get in and out of Ewa), so people can see how awesome it is to not have to sit in traffic to get to work/school! I avoid the malls on the weekend, especially during Christmas. I do my Christmas shopping online. Simple. I wish it was all simple!

The rail system, 3.6-4.6 billion dollars estimated in cost to build it (we know it will be higher) is scary. Sorry, but I don't think I have an extra $450 a year to pay for a transit system or the confidence I can trust the people in charge to get the job done right. Dat's why hard :-( . Anyone know how other places raised funds to get a rail system? Zippy's Chili? Haha, just joking!

I know in the back of my heart we need one, but I'm scared to say let's go ahead. I see homeless people sleeping in their vans practically everywhere I go, everyday. (Then again, I live in Salt Lake and we know how many people used to live under the freeways near the beginning of Nimitz until they told them to get out.) In fact, I think it was recently, Mufi went to the Waianae coast to talk about rail transit but people wanted to talk about the homeless issue instead. *sighs* Dat's why hard.

I'm a supporter of City Councilman Charles Djou, who opposes the rail system. Only he and Barbara Marshall voted against the .5% increase in general excise tax to pay for the rail system. According TheHawaiiChannel.com, the increase comes to about 12.5% after math (which doesn't make sense to me because it's not explained what math is done.)

I know I'm probably in the minority but like Djou says, If money grew on trees, the transit system is a great idea for Hawai`i.

http://starbulletin.com/2006/10/31/news/story01.html
http://www.thehawaiichannel.com/news/48 ... etail.html

Dat's why hard :-(

puccakiss79
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by puccakiss79 » Nov 9th, '06, 17:13

puccakiss79 wrote: The rail system, 3.6-4.6 billion dollars estimated in cost to build it (we know it will be higher) is scary. Sorry, but I don't think I have an extra $450 a year to pay for a transit system or the confidence I can trust the people in charge to get the job done right. Dat's why hard :-( . Anyone know how other places raised funds to get a rail system? Zippy's Chili? Haha, just joking!
Oy! I heard on this morning news that since the Democrats took back the Senate our senators are going to chairmens to several committees!! Guess what Senator Inouye will be chairman over! Inouye expects to become chairman of the Defense Appropriations Committee and the Commerce and Transportation Committee. Didn't he bring home the bacon for the H3? This wil be really interesting if a rail system in on Inouye's agenda, perhaps we can get some federal funding to help pay the costs!?

sarcasstik
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by sarcasstik » Nov 9th, '06, 17:26

From an economic standpoint, I think any reasonable cost-benefit analysis would not be in favor of the rail system.

I am personally all for it. The roads are way too congested here. When I was in the Bay Area, the BART was so convenient.

The problem with the one they're proposing here is that there aren't enough stops along the line. And, there's also the fact that most Hawaii people are anti-public transportation. A lot of people cringe when I tell them I ride the bus. No one even car-pools here. Barring some miraculous attitude changes, I don't know if this is all going to turn out nicely. But in any case, I'm interested to see what happens.

Speaking of Warrior football though, they are just kicking ridiculous butt. It's too bad the rest of their schedule is pretty weak. Let's just hope they don't choke when they play a Pac-10 team in the Hawaii Bowl.

SHD
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by SHD » Nov 9th, '06, 19:33

sarcasstik wrote:From an economic standpoint, I think any reasonable cost-benefit analysis would not be in favor of the rail system.

I am personally all for it. The roads are way too congested here. When I was in the Bay Area, the BART was so convenient.

The problem with the one they're proposing here is that there aren't enough stops along the line. And, there's also the fact that most Hawaii people are anti-public transportation. A lot of people cringe when I tell them I ride the bus. No one even car-pools here. Barring some miraculous attitude changes, I don't know if this is all going to turn out nicely. But in any case, I'm interested to see what happens.
totally agree with you. my opinion is that the only way it will work is to require City and possibly State workers to utitlize public transporttion a certain percentage of the week. that will get the ridership numbers up and really relieve traffic.

hey, but does any of this matter??? does i get us a decent Korean or Japanese TV station??? No! bah, what's the use then. :lol

wildbill86

Post by wildbill86 » Nov 10th, '06, 08:11

i like haupia anyone else lol

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Nov 11th, '06, 15:11

pucca: thanks for the articles. pretty informative. while i was there, i was very impressed with djou's decisions. i really feel he is one of the better, hard-working politicians. in this case, however, though i understand his economic concern, i do not totally agree. i was hoping djou would state some alternative solutions (as he usually does).

i think anyone who's taken a rail or subway system would have to agree that it's extremely convenient. they've even started one on the island of okinawa.

sarcasstik: i think people cringe at the thought of the bus for several reasons. the main one being that it sits in the same traffic as if you were to just drive your own car. the rail would bypass all of that. what would be faster? if i took the bus to ala moana (from ewa), or just drove there? that's why most people never take the bus. but if they knew they could get to ala's in 20min, no traffic, no gas, listen to your mp3 player, read the paper, etc. i believe the rail system would be used A LOT more than the bus.

federal funding would be terrific, but i think the bottom line is the problem is not going to go away. and i doubt if it's going to get any cheaper as the years pass.

my concern is about other factors. *rarely* is a govt project delivered ON TIME and WITHIN BUDGET. then there's the nitpicky stuff like where are the stops going to be, why should windward guys pay when it only affects leeward, etc.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Nov 12th, '06, 15:05

sarcasstik wrote:Speaking of Warrior football though, they are just kicking ridiculous butt. It's too bad the rest of their schedule is pretty weak. Let's just hope they don't choke when they play a Pac-10 team in the Hawaii Bowl.
stayed up to listen to most of last night's game. congrats again to warrior football. colt went off again - four tds, 400+ yds passing. it would be great if he could beat klinger's record, but i'm glad jj is not keeping him in there unnecessarily. he did that with timmy way too much, and when chang got hurt before our bowl game, sure enough, our backup didn't have enough game experience and we lost to tulane.

you're right, though, sarcasstik. i'm also worried that since they're rolling over all the competition, will they be ready for a good pac10 team? the possibilities are arizona, arizona state or one more. at least we'll play purdue which is going to be broadcast on espn2. i'll stay up all night for that one. i also heard that san jose st (perennial basement dwellers) is a pretty good team this year.

EDIT: i remember the last pac10 team -- UCLA. boy, i hope it's them. that would be a good test for us.

puccakiss79
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by puccakiss79 » Nov 14th, '06, 23:00

jholic wrote:pucca: thanks for the articles. pretty informative. while i was there, i was very impressed with djou's decisions. i really feel he is one of the better, hard-working politicians. in this case, however, though i understand his economic concern, i do not totally agree. i was hoping djou would state some alternative solutions (as he usually does).
i think anyone who's taken a rail or subway system would have to agree that it's extremely convenient. they've even started one on the island of okinawa.
I've been soooo busy! Sorry haven't replied sooner. Hope you're well up there jholic. You know the same day I last posted in this thread I watched Real Time with Bill Maer (no time to check spelling or if the first name is correct, gomen). And while watching, the first guy that was talking (via satellite) explained about how special interest funding is hidden in some budgets. There is a term for it, he referred to the bridge that was built to nowhere (which I believe is in Alaska?) Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is I felt so guilty after hoping Inouye can get some kind of funding for the rail system (not to say he would do it shady like the guy was talking about on Real Time, but boy did I feel like I put my foot in my mouth). I forget what he called it, earwax? Haha, I'll watch it on HBO in Demand and get the right term! I didn't hear anything about the meeting they had at McKinley last night, did anyone go? I was hoping to hear something on the news unless I got my dates wrong. But it seems the city is working on pushing the rail system through. Okay, got to get back to work, I'll browse the forums when time permits. Aloha all!

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Nov 15th, '06, 03:37

eh, pucca: i'm as good as can be in freezing weather up here. and it's actually not too bad right now. give it a few more weeks, and i'll have to wipe the frost from my monitor.

yeah, let us know what that term was. it sounds interesting. kinda like 'slush fund' or something.

Nya! Team: are you guys ok? i heard about some terrible auto accident on the big island where 5 people were killed. i hope it wasn't anyone you guys knew. i drove that road about twice before. it's difficult not to speed on it, but i'm not sure what factors were involved.

dochira

Post by dochira » Nov 15th, '06, 19:06

jholic wrote: yeah, let us know what that term was. it sounds interesting. kinda like 'slush fund' or something.
I've heard it referred to as "pork barrel".

blueeyedwolf
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by blueeyedwolf » Nov 15th, '06, 22:02

jholic wrote:
Nya! Team: are you guys ok? i heard about some terrible auto accident on the big island where 5 people were killed. i hope it wasn't anyone you guys knew. i drove that road about twice before. it's difficult not to speed on it, but i'm not sure what factors were involved.
I actually heard about it, but it wasn't anyone I knew...thank god..

Evidently it was a local car (with 3 people) Ka'u bound and a tourist car (with 2 people) Hilo bound. From what I heard from an acquaintance that works up at the hospital, is that one of the cars crossed the line and hit the other car head on. There also was a third car involved, another tourist traveling Hilo bound, but this person survived with just two broken legs. I'm not too sure if there's more detail to this story since I only heard it through the grapevine, and because I haven't actually read it or seen it on TV. I'm kinda out of the loop of news right now with finals approaching, and dealing with ungrateful spoiled fans calling us names and such, if you know what I mean... So yeah, we're good.^^ Thanks for the concern though.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Nov 16th, '06, 01:41

doch: howzit! long time no see. i know cali's weather is a heck of a lot better than here. how's life treating ya?

blueeyed: glad to hear you and others are fine. good luck on your finals!

dochira

Post by dochira » Nov 16th, '06, 07:41

jholic wrote:doch: howzit! long time no see. i know cali's weather is a heck of a lot better than here. how's life treating ya?
J, I'm doing really well here. It's kinda cool now, and the rainy season seems to be starting. Not in full swing though.

Haha, the Bill Maher program is currently airing, and that term used is "earmarks". But slush fund and pork barrel mean the same thing. Gotta gets the project funded you know. 8)

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Nov 20th, '06, 03:56

doch: just give thanks you're not out here. i know mizune misses it here, but i'd be happy to trade him. the weather's starting to get into 'full swing' here .... unfortunately.

how about them warriors?? i stayed up till 2:30AM last night listening to them play. i'm so proud of brennan. i believe he tossed 5 td's last night, so i hope he breaks the record held by klinger. i'm actually glad that he'll have to play purdue and earn it. it'll be a great test before the bowl game. anyone going to the sheraton hawaii bowl?

puccakiss79
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by puccakiss79 » Nov 21st, '06, 23:10

dochira wrote:Haha, the Bill Maher program is currently airing, and that term used is "earmarks". But slush fund and pork barrel mean the same thing. Gotta gets the project funded you know. 8)
pwahahaha! Thanks for letting me know, it was racking my brain, but I have no time to watch that part again. Also, I hate resetting my cable box to get my freaking HBO Demand to work properly, it takes more time! Earmarks! I was close but earwax sounds so wrong.

UH Warriors Football is now ranked 25th after our last game =) w00t w00t!

Happy Thanksgiving!

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Nov 22nd, '06, 01:00

Happy Thanksgiving to Hawaii people all over the world! :)
puccakiss79 wrote:UH Warriors Football is now ranked 25th after our last game =) w00t w00t!
i heard about that! i was so happy for them. i was joking with one of my co-workers who's a ohio state buckeye fan (#1 in nation), and told her that hawaii was catching up. and the last team the buckeye's would want to see is da warriors!! :lol

richardli

Post by richardli » Nov 28th, '06, 15:13

Howzit! I miss Zippy's chili and saimin, Sandy Beach, Tailgate parties for the Rainbow Warriors and mostly meeting friends at Kapolani Park.