Why the Korean dramas are generally too long.

Anhyong haseyo. Post Korean related stuff here.
Icalcan

Why the Korean dramas are generally too long.

Post by Icalcan » Oct 7th, '06, 18:21

I don't mean to offend anyone and I am a hardcore fan of K-dramas, but after just watching "Winter Sonata" (still 2 more ep.s to go) I found why the Korean dramas are unnecessarily toooooooooooo looooooooong. :D

1-The actors/actresses walk toooooooooo sloooooooooowly, and they walk (with their hands in their pockets) like they are following an imaginary line on the catwalk runway posing for the cameras. Look at their steps. You'll see what I mean. :P Soooooooooo artificial.

2- Especially in this drama, the lead actress (can't recall her name and don't really care) turns her head in a 90 degree angle following a very certain pattern and line in space soooooooo slooooowly (and artificially= not naturally) that takes about 3 seconds to finsih that motion. These all add up to many minutes of wasting air time (since there are maybe hundreds of them) which could have instead reduced the number of ep.s. Other actors did the same too but not as many times as the lead actress. :mrgreen:

3- Toooooooo many repeats of remembering the past scenes in slower pace. :D Does the Korean air or the environment have anything to do with the above factors? I wonder! :unsure: :glare: :scratch:

4- which is not directly related to the speed or ep. number of the drama, In this series there were too many scenes in which the giant microphone above the shot was seen in the screen. I saw so many that I lost the count. It was not a professional job. It was a sappy and quick job to put on the air.

Maybe that had something to do with the speed after all, because the scenes were unnecessariyly toooooooo looooooooong and the guy(s)/gal(s)' arm(s) were toooooo tired to hold the mike up. :P I was disappointed to see those incidents, but because I had wasted so much time dling 20 ep.s of 650 MB I only watched each ep. and deleted them immediately to relax my HD. 8) :glare:

Please somebody correct me if I am wrong, overall the same production and direction people had done "Autumn Tale" and that was a wonderful production, and it was shorter and more meaningful than this series.

Please post your comments and perhaps your insights to the question.

peace and love to all dramalovers. :salut:
Last edited by Icalcan on Oct 7th, '06, 18:26, edited 1 time in total.

pwner4once

Post by pwner4once » Oct 7th, '06, 18:24

lol i feel the same way toward how long it is but that's why i love korean dramas. :D
instead of fast progression like jdramas, it's actually smooth and makes me enjoy it more:D
im watching RUde Women lol. only 7 subbed out of 18 but im still checking evyerday for releases cuz it's so good lol :lol :lol

KingHussien

Re: Why the Korean dramas are generally too long.

Post by KingHussien » Oct 7th, '06, 20:15

Icalcan wrote:I don't mean to offend anyone and I am a hardcore fan of K-dramas, but after just watching "Winter Sonata" (still 2 more ep.s to go) I found why the Korean dramas are unnecessarily toooooooooooo looooooooong. :D

1-The actors/actresses walk toooooooooo sloooooooooowly, and they walk (with their hands in their pockets) like they are following an imaginary line on the catwalk runway posing for the cameras. Look at their steps. You'll see what I mean. :P Soooooooooo artificial.

2- Especially in this drama, the lead actress (can't recall her name and don't really care) turns her head in a 90 degree angle following a very certain pattern and line in space soooooooo slooooowly (and artificially= not naturally) that takes about 3 seconds to finsih that motion. These all add up to many minutes of wasting air time (since there are maybe hundreds of them) which could have instead reduced the number of ep.s. Other actors did the same too but not as many times as the lead actress. :mrgreen:

3- Toooooooo many repeats of remembering the past scenes in slower pace. :D Does the Korean air or the environment have anything to do with the above factors? I wonder! :unsure: :glare: :scratch:

4- which is not directly related to the speed or ep. number of the drama, In this series there were too many scenes in which the giant microphone above the shot was seen in the screen. I saw so many that I lost the count. It was not a professional job. It was a sappy and quick job to put on the air.

Maybe that had something to do with the speed after all, because the scenes were unnecessariyly toooooooo looooooooong and the guy(s)/gal(s)' arm(s) were toooooo tired to hold the mike up. :P I was disappointed to see those incidents, but because I had wasted so much time dling 20 ep.s of 650 MB I only watched each ep. and deleted them immediately to relax my HD. 8) :glare:

Please somebody correct me if I am wrong, overall the same production and direction people had done "Autumn Tale" and that was a wonderful production, and it was shorter and more meaningful than this series.

Please post your comments and perhaps your insights to the question.

peace and love to all dramalovers. :salut:
I disagree. I'm watching Winter Sonata right now and it is slow compared to the last drama I watched (Green Rose), but not as slow as your describing it as.

Maybe your bored with the drama and thats why its moving slow for you.

Icalcan

Post by Icalcan » Oct 7th, '06, 20:47

KingHussien wrote:I disagree. I'm watching Winter Sonata right now and it is slow compared to the last drama I watched (Green Rose), but not as slow as your describing it as.

I am not bored at all. I was talking about the quality of the production of this drama. I just finished it and deleted the files too. I am watching Hotelier's first ep., and so far, it's very good. You have the right to disagree. I asked for addicts' opinions.

AND please spell the words correcly if you are using English to answer me. I am a teacher. It is "you are" (you're) and NOT 'your'. I guess you don't care to learn or your teachers didn't care to teach you correctly. It's not only you. This is a trend online and people care less about their spelling and grammar and flunk it in the university. just a friendly reminder on spelling. :glare:

melonyhappy

Post by melonyhappy » Oct 7th, '06, 20:59

it's slow cuz it's repetitive. Do they have to stick with the usual 16 episodes? i've only seen one that was short (my love patzzi)

korean_foreva

Post by korean_foreva » Oct 7th, '06, 21:05

but the idea of makin it slow is to keep us on our toes if u get wot i mean....i loved winter sonata but wot i mean but keepin us on our toes is by keepin us guess wot was gonna happen..^^

Icalcan

Post by Icalcan » Oct 7th, '06, 21:10

melonyhappy wrote:it's slow cuz it's repetitive. Do they have to stick with the usual 16 episodes? i've only seen one that was short (my love patzzi)
I asked my Korean students the same question about having 16 ep. / series. They couldn't answer, so I joked and said, "So they can have three series /year?". They laughed but still couldn't answer the question, Why?. :D XD

I haven't seen (my love patzzi) yet, Should I? :) :scratch: :unsure:

Icalcan

Post by Icalcan » Oct 7th, '06, 21:16

korean_foreva wrote:but the idea of makin it slow is to keep us on our toes if u get wot i mean....i loved winter sonata but wot i mean but keepin us on our toes is by keepin us guess wot was gonna happen..^^
I can't stay on my toes for 20 ep.s. I'll lose my toes. :D XD Longer series doesn't mean the quality is good. if you want to know what's next, go to the next ep. or watch the last one. I did, after I had seen the 12th ep. I lost interest after seeing so many mikes in the screen and the repetition or artificial acts and story lines.

I respect your opinions and thanks for writing back.

darkchaos696

Post by darkchaos696 » Oct 7th, '06, 21:17

Icalcan wrote: AND please spell the words correcly if you are using English to answer me. I am a teacher. It is "you are" (you're) and NOT 'your'. I guess you don't care to learn or your teachers didn't care to teach you correctly. It's not only you. This is a trend online and people care less about their spelling and grammar and flunk it in the university. just a friendly reminder on spelling. :glare:
This is a surprising comment, at least to me. Many people here speak English as their second language. In KingHussien's case, it might just be easier for him/her to write your instead of you're... a lot of people do it online but not on graded essays, so really it's not worth criticizing.

Additionally, in your first post, you wrote sentences such as "I lost the count" and "It was a sappy and quick job to put on the air". However, I and other people can probably understand those sentences perfectly well, so there is no need for criticism.

As for the slowness of Korean dramas, I think it's just a Korean style... what do Korean people think about it? Otherwise, the producers might just want to make more money with more episodes...

Icalcan

Post by Icalcan » Oct 7th, '06, 21:24

darkchaos696 wrote:
Icalcan wrote: AND please spell the words correcly if you are using English to answer me. I am a teacher. It is "you are" (you're) and NOT 'your'. I guess you don't care to learn or your teachers didn't care to teach you correctly. It's not only you. This is a trend online and people care less about their spelling and grammar and flunk it in the university. just a friendly reminder on spelling. :glare:
This is a surprising comment, at least to me. Many people here speak English as their second language. In KingHussien's case, it might just be easier for him/her to write your instead of you're... a lot of people do it online but not on graded essays, so really it's not worth criticizing.

Additionally, in your first post, you wrote sentences such as "I lost the count" and "It was a sappy and quick job to put on the air". However, I and other people can probably understand those sentences perfectly well, so there is no need for criticism.

As for the slowness of Korean dramas, I think it's just a Korean style... what do Korean people think about it? Otherwise, the producers might just want to make more money with more episodes...
Thanks for reading and writing. But I have marked numerous university students's assignments. They continue their online habits in their essays. So I wanted to remind people, because I CARE. Habits are very hard to break.

pwner4once

Post by pwner4once » Oct 7th, '06, 22:06

im guessing freedom of speech USA?
I am not going to leave comment since Korean drama length is more fun to talk about lol?
anyhow eer.... :scratch: :scratch:

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by aNToK » Oct 7th, '06, 22:12

Hmm... Lessee: Winter Sonata's style was intentionally slow and drawn-out. It's also one of the biggies that helped kick-start the whole Korean wave, so it has intrinsic value regardless of the numerous obvious mistakes in production, etc.

Whether or not it's boring to someone is really simply an opinion, and they'll vary from person to person. Nobody's wrong or right for liking what they like. I think the term "Microphone Head" came about as a result of this show, and it's been talked about ad nauseum here and there and laughed about. Such is life.

I'd much prefer to see a show that was meant to run 16 eps that actually ran 16 eps, as opposed to the ones that become popular and they decide to extend it out to cash in on the popularity (Phoenix is the most glaring example of this. Good show, but would have been so much better if they kept it at the shorter original length rather than drag it out to the eventual 24 it became. I'll forgive that one solely for the fact that we got to see more of the incredible Lee Eun-Joo in what sadly became her last contribution to the drama genre. On the USA side, the show Prison Break suffers from the same "woulda been great if they just told the story and ended it" syndrome.

@Icanican: One thing: It's extremely rude and uppity to tell people to mind their spelling, etc. in their responses to you. As mentioned earlier, many people speak it as a second language, and NEways, it's ridiculous to expect everyone to be perfect. This is a discussion board, not a classroom.

Besides, take it from someone at least as well-versed in the nuances of the language if not moreso: Your grammar isn't anything to be proud of in the least, so unless you want me hopping on every one of your little mistakes, show a bit of tolerance for others.
Last edited by aNToK on Oct 7th, '06, 22:14, edited 1 time in total.

tisa

Post by tisa » Oct 7th, '06, 22:13

Some of them are really to long i guess but there are also a few that need to have so many eps to cover everything sufficiently like Spring Waltz and older Korean dramas like Secret, Honesty, Romance which i would like them to be even longer. I really hate it when only the first half of the drama is interesting because the some themes in drama are finished to early.
Usually interesting characters are the ones that prevent the drama to be draggy at least in my case.

zdoon
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by zdoon » Oct 7th, '06, 22:23

Don't forget that Kdramas are generally aired twice a week. So in one way, 2 episodes can count for one. From a production point of view, when you're airing that much material over half the time that shows are usually broadcast, some of the drawnout-ness of the episodes might make a little more sense, but not neccesarily -- I don't think quality and quantity are neccesarily related. Some of my all time favorite shows are as brief as 12 episodes (Soulmate, for instance) or as long as 163 (Be Strong Geum Soon). Dae Jang Geum was hella long as well but I would absolutely hate to see its length chopped up or abbreviated.

OvertheRainbow

Post by OvertheRainbow » Oct 7th, '06, 22:24

Icalcan wrote:
I personally do not reccomend it unless you're like a hardcore fan of Jang Nara. The tom-boy act didn't work so well on her and sometimes I felt like the facial expressions were too over the top. Also, it might be short but I felt like nothing was resolved. She wavered back and forth between two guys and in the end, she didn't end up with either one.

KingHussien

Post by KingHussien » Oct 7th, '06, 22:27

Icalcan wrote:
KingHussien wrote:I disagree. I'm watching Winter Sonata right now and it is slow compared to the last drama I watched (Green Rose), but not as slow as your describing it as.

I am not bored at all. I was talking about the quality of the production of this drama. I just finished it and deleted the files too. I am watching Hotelier's first ep., and so far, it's very good. You have the right to disagree. I asked for addicts' opinions.

AND please spell the words correcly if you are using English to answer me. I am a teacher. It is "you are" (you're) and NOT 'your'. I guess you don't care to learn or your teachers didn't care to teach you correctly. It's not only you. This is a trend online and people care less about their spelling and grammar and flunk it in the university. just a friendly reminder on spelling. :glare:
Let me enlighten you on some facts that I feel you're lacking the knowledge of. This is a discussion forum where a lot of people come together to discuss asian drama's, not the english language.

You know whats really enlightening? I took two posts to figure out what type of person you are:

You are somebody who concetrates only on the negative.

Have a nice day. :)

Icalcan

Post by Icalcan » Oct 8th, '06, 01:30

OvertheRainbow wrote:
Icalcan wrote:
I personally do not reccomend it unless you're like a hardcore fan of Jang Nara. The tom-boy act didn't work so well on her and sometimes I felt like the facial expressions were too over the top. Also, it might be short but I felt like nothing was resolved. She wavered back and forth between two guys and in the end, she didn't end up with either one.
thanks for the post.

puccakiss79
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by puccakiss79 » Oct 8th, '06, 01:49

aNToK wrote:I'd much prefer to see a show that was meant to run 16 eps that actually ran 16 eps, as opposed to the ones that become popular and they decide to extend it out to cash in on the popularity (Phoenix is the most glaring example of this. Good show, but would have been so much better if they kept it at the shorter original length rather than drag it out to the eventual 24 it became. I'll forgive that one solely for the fact that we got to see more of the incredible Lee Eun-Joo in what sadly became her last contribution to the drama genre.
:D Phoenix was filled with sooo much flashbacks, especially towards the end. Of course that's a simple way of extending the episodes. (I have to say though, the only other show to out-do Phoenix in flashback scenes in MyNetworkTV's show Fashion House!) Also, regarding Phoenix, I wonder if production told the actors they needed to slow their walking. Did anyone else notice how slow the actors walked away from each other? It's ridiculously slow! I always wondered who would walk that slow, all the time! But, don't get me wrong, this is one of my favorite dramas despite it being long. :-)

rambutan
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by rambutan » Oct 8th, '06, 01:52

@Icalcan: I 'm not interested in whether you have perfect English. However, I am interested in your views about dramas here. Winter Sonata remains as one of my favourite dramas of all time (along with Kim Sam Soon, At the Dolphin Bay and Meteor Garden). The slow walks, turning heads etc, i.e. the scenes that bored you in Winter Sonata, are actually to me, poetic and beautiful because the music being played in the background is always appropriately beautiful.

captain-nippon

Post by captain-nippon » Oct 8th, '06, 02:00

it's about making MONEY. The longer the drama the more money the producer and network make money. HOW you ask? This idea was invented in America. Commericials and promotions of products....That's how producers and network get their investment back.

The major reason why some drama are longer than other is because they receiver higher rating and therefore the producer continue to producer the drama from 16 episodes to 20-30 episodes. A high rating drama draw more viewers and are explores to more promational products from commercials.

Networks in America and Japan are different those those in Korea and China. In America it's season to season. each season can have up to 22-26 episodes, a very successfull show like smallville is now on their 6th season. In Japan, the drama usually get made first and then air on TV, NOT ALL, but most follow this formula of producing dramas. Therefore the producer can't make the drama longer because production has already ended.

In korea, the producer make a few episodes for TV to see if the show will be a hit, they should know right away within the first few episodes based on rating. The Durations of the drama will be based on TV rating.

Icalcan

Post by Icalcan » Oct 8th, '06, 02:11

aNToK wrote:Hmm... Lessee: Winter Sonata's style was intentionally slow and drawn-out. It's also one of the biggies that helped kick-start the whole Korean wave, so it has intrinsic value regardless of the numerous obvious mistakes in production, etc.

Whether or not it's boring to someone is really simply an opinion, and they'll vary from person to person. Nobody's wrong or right for liking what they like. I think the term "Microphone Head" came about as a result of this show, and it's been talked about ad nauseum here and there and laughed about. Such is life.

I'd much prefer to see a show that was meant to run 16 eps that actually ran 16 eps, as opposed to the ones that become popular and they decide to extend it out to cash in on the popularity (Phoenix is the most glaring example of this. Good show, but would have been so much better if they kept it at the shorter original length rather than drag it out to the eventual 24 it became. I'll forgive that one solely for the fact that we got to see more of the incredible Lee Eun-Joo in what sadly became her last contribution to the drama genre. On the USA side, the show Prison Break suffers from the same "woulda been great if they just told the story and ended it" syndrome.

@Icanican: One thing: It's extremely rude and uppity to tell people to mind their spelling, etc. in their responses to you. As mentioned earlier, many people speak it as a second language, and NEways, it's ridiculous to expect everyone to be perfect. This is a discussion board, not a classroom.

Besides, take it from someone at least as well-versed in the nuances of the language if not moreso: Your grammar isn't anything to be proud of in the least, so unless you want me hopping on every one of your little mistakes, show a bit of tolerance for others.
If you look back at my post, I use the word "reminder". I am not here to pick on people or teach them. If I use my better side of grammar and vocabulary, some people will not understand it. As you said, most visitors use English as their second langauge.

I don't need to take anything from you. My grammar isn't perfect (and nobody can claim that) but I have torn more shirts than you probably have. Please clarify and enlighten me, who lacks good grammar as you put it, and explain, is the expression "NEways" an easy way to continue what is happening to the language? If the d-addicts visitors see those errors, they learn them that way. Then everybody would be proud of NEways, right? Many of my students have fossilized (irreversible) grammatical and vocbulary problems and can't easily overcome them, thanks to the Internet language.

I only meant to talk, with humor, about the way k-dramas are produced, and now you are taking it too far to the negative side. I have seen the same in other threads and how people talk, in disguise, about your posts. You show a little tolerance for others too. Since my first comment, about my .nsv files, you have hammered my posts, and you are still trying to find something to pick on. Am I wrong? But my topics "1 Litre of Tears" and "Autumn Tale" are still in this forum.

x_XJules
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by x_XJules » Oct 8th, '06, 02:21

I totally understand what you mean!
I think if winter sonata had been one of my first korean dramas i wouldn't have noticed, but since i watched it after a whole lot of korean dramas i noticed the samethings you did.
if you take the basic korean drama formula, winter sonata isn't too hard to figure out. LoL, i figured out the whole series within the first few episodes. but that's not neccessarily a bad thing. i like guessing what'll happen. :D
anyway, i noticed all the microphones popping into scenes.. and the very slow movements or very long pauses between sentences that would drag on a normally 5 minute scene into 15-20minutes. :lol i also noticed the LARGE amount of flashbacks as well. it makes you wonder what the series would be like if someone were to re-edit it.
don't get me wrong i liked winter sonata. but i know exactly what you're talking about :wink:

WroW
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by WroW » Oct 8th, '06, 02:21

captain-nippon wrote:it's about making MONEY. The longer the drama the more money the producer and network make money. HOW you ask? This idea was invented in America. Commericials and promotions of products....That's how producers and network get their investment back.

The major reason why some drama are longer than other is because they receiver higher rating and therefore the producer continue to producer the drama from 16 episodes to 20-30 episodes. A high rating drama draw more viewers and are explores to more promational products from commercials.

Networks in America and Japan are different those those in Korea and China. In America it's season to season. each season can have up to 22-26 episodes, a very successfull show like smallville is now on their 6th season. In Japan, the drama usually get made first and then air on TV, NOT ALL, but most follow this formula of producing dramas. Therefore the producer can't make the drama longer because production has already ended.

In korea, the producer make a few episodes for TV to see if the show will be a hit, they should know right away within the first few episodes based on rating. The Durations of the drama will be based on TV rating.

Even if a Kdrama has bad ratings (i am talking about very bad ratings) they will still run it as planned. Maybe they cut about 2 episodes of the planned episodes but not more. But usually they dont. So the length gets primarily decided by content and not by success. If they get extended, its just a few episodes and if they get cut, its mostly 2 episodes (that doesnt happen as often as you think)
Yes some dramas get extented...but sometimes that is a good thing. For example Resurrection,whithout a doubt one of the best asian dramas. It had horrible ratings because it aired in the same time slot with Kim Sam Soon. Still because critics loved it and because of the great fans and fanclubs they extended it (ok there are also negative examples like Goong,but if the demand is there why not).
I never heard of anything similar in the US. And the reason we watch Kdramas are because they wont get dropped somewhere in the middle of the series. Think about US shows which run season to season. Suddenly the network suprises everyone and decides to stop the show inbetween seasons. What happens to the fans? They will never get any conclusion to their series,they just spent a few years watching and it ends with a cliffhanger.
Kdramas are just different and have to run around 16 episodes. Maybe some drag but thats the writers fault and not because its a kdrama. Earlier Winter Sonata was mentioned...I didnt like Winter Sonata and thought it dragged. But still it was not only a success in Korea, it was especially a success in Japan. So I wouldnt criticize Koreans too much.
And the last thing. Kdramas in general have a higher budget than Jdramas...so whats wrong with Producers getting their investment back?

v1rgi3

Post by v1rgi3 » Oct 8th, '06, 02:45

very true about it being repetitve and those annoying flashbacks... sometimes the last few episodes contain so many flashbacks, i start fastforwarding... lol

tho, i disagree with with the slow walking and movements because i think the director was using it to make a statement or impact. (just like how indie films will have a still shot for like 30 secs to make a statement)

if the couple looked back at each other and then walked off in opposite directions in a normal speed, it wouldn't have been as heartwrenching as doing so in slow motion, that way the audience will have time to react and go "AHHHH,, OMG, they're leaving each other FOREVER" lol

i still love k-dramas tho.. lol

ps. @Icalcan : its a forum, so too lazy to actually reread my post, therefore, if there are spelling, grammar errors, I DON'T WANT TO, NOR NEED TO, KNOW WHAT THEY ARE,, so DON'T TELL ME ABOUT IT...

Icalcan

Post by Icalcan » Oct 8th, '06, 02:47

lucypcng wrote:@Icalcan: I 'm not interested in whether you have perfect English. However, I am interested in your views about dramas here. Winter Sonata remains as one of my favourite dramas of all time (along with Kim Sam Soon, At the Dolphin Bay and Meteor Garden). The slow walks, turning heads etc, i.e. the scenes that bored you in Winter Sonata, are actually to me, poetic and beautiful because the music being played in the background is always appropriately beautiful.
I agree with you on the poetic aspect of the series and respect your view, but two of friends and I see that they certainly didn't do as well as they did in Autumn tale. (I don't know who produced Kim Sam soon) Those poetic scenes don't happen to many people these days. The world has changed, and materialism is rulling in its best form.

As you may realize, I didn't write that post on the 12th episode. I wrote it after the 17th ep. I was actually watching the episodes with my frtiends. I took my time to watch and write that comment in a humorous form. I personally felt that it was too much and, as several of the addicts mentioned here, they swinged the script back and forth too many times. My friends had agreements and disagreements with me.

It was so surprising that the writer(s) or the director didn't think of paging KJS in the airport, as he was flying to the States, and had to make Yujin run all over the airport. I know you are going to say, "That's the romantic and exciting part of the episode, but scenes like that really bored me and 2 of my friends. We are living in the 21st century. I also love to watch romantic dramas with my friends, but I expect a little more realistic view of life. Dramas need to offer some new materials "beyond" what has already been seen before. Or maybe I am wrong in being a realistic and not a dreamer. I also watched and loved "My Name is Kim Sam Soon". I saved that series's episodes.

Thanks for writing and offering your view.

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by aNToK » Oct 8th, '06, 02:48

AND please spell the words correcly if you are using English to answer me. I am a teacher. It is "you are" (you're) and NOT 'your'. I guess you don't care to learn or your teachers didn't care to teach you correctly. It's not only you. This is a trend online and people care less about their spelling and grammar and flunk it in the university. just a friendly reminder on spelling.
Point is that it's a forum, not an English class. "I guess you don't care to learn or your teachers didn't care to teach you correctly" is a bit condescending and out of line. As long as someone's understandable, who cares? That's the only point of yours I'd take exception to. Teach your class in class, not here. You'll just end up looking silly and egotistical.

As far as the nsv files, have you bothered to go back and actually read what I wrote? One you clarified where you got the files, did I rag on you? Or did you take my rather bluntly worded question about whether or not you had gotten permission from the originators to upload? You answered, and there was no problem so why exactly are you bringing it up here? Guess I take back my comment about being sorry that your files got goofed up. Hmmph...

Frankly, I don't care a bit about any "disguised comments" about my posts. And yes, I am VERY intolerant of some people with certain issues. You'll note that nearly all of my little rants and ragging are wit regard to subbing and uploading related subjects. And the occasional person who gets ridiculous, insulting, racist, etc.

About hammering you personally? Go back to your profile and reread our posts back and forth in various topics and tell me again that I'm "hammering" you. In fact, considering that a few of the subjects you've brought up are on the sticky side for some of us, you should note that while blunt, most of my responses have been far from rude to you. The filesize thread and the Autumn Tale thread are about the only ones I remember responding to you in, and they were hardly hammering. One I was even downright polite....

Not sure what your reference to the Autumn Tale and 1 Litre threads was about. Autumn Tale we already talked about a long time ago, and I never even read the 1 Litre one, so what's your point? :scratch: :scratch:

Do you think I'm picking on you and want you to go away or not contribute or something? I never said or intoned any such thing. Simply that you don't refer to people as ill-taught or whatever based on their posting spelling and grammar.

I did notice that you chose to totally ignore my comments that were relevant to your original question and decided to only respond about me commenting on your spelling thing. Now care to let the discussion back to K-drama lengths, or would you rather a few more paragraphs back and forth about being the alleged nail to my hammer?

groink

Post by groink » Oct 8th, '06, 02:49

Brief reasons for the length of K-dramas:

Using baseball as an analogy, there are fans who like watching baseball. And then there are fans who like the statistics of each player. One of my friends is a numbers guy. He can answer virtually any question regarding statistics. BUT, if you ask him what his feelings were about a certain game, he couldn't tell you.

Same thing with K-drama fans: there are fans who are into the story, and I'd say most of them would complain about the story's pace. On the other hand, you have fans who are more into the characters; they prefer the story to be longer, so that it gives enough time for character build-up, allowing the fans to become somewhat intimate with them. The more details they know about the characters, the better they'll enjoy the story. Regardless of the story's pace, or the outcome of the story, to them the characters are more important.

In Japanese dramas, there is less focus on building the characters, but this isn't by accident. Simply, Japan has been using the 4-season system since the invention of the trendy drama back in the late 1980s. Even back then, most fans were more into the story, and the characters were only used to convey the story. Today, it is different, but Japan is stuck with the 4-season system, and it would be VERY VERY difficult to change otherwise.

In either system, there is no right or wrong. Korean producers know what their fans want. Japan producers know what their fans want. Even American producers know what their fans want. To bring Winter Sonata in Japan into the mix, the context of it and its use in this topic just isn't right. Remember that only one or two TV networks in Japan deliver K-dramas to the TV set, so one can't make Winter Sonata in Japan into a common event. Especially when NHK was the vehicle, its demographics is the 50+ age group. I have several videos of Winter Sonata events in Japan, and a large majority of faces you see in the crowds are 50+ Japanese women.

--- groink

Icalcan

Post by Icalcan » Oct 8th, '06, 02:58

x_XJules wrote:I totally understand what you mean!
I think if winter sonata had been one of my first korean dramas i wouldn't have noticed, but since i watched it after a whole lot of korean dramas i noticed the samethings you did.
if you take the basic korean drama formula, winter sonata isn't too hard to figure out. LoL, i figured out the whole series within the first few episodes. but that's not neccessarily a bad thing. i like guessing what'll happen. :D
anyway, i noticed all the microphones popping into scenes.. and the very slow movements or very long pauses between sentences that would drag on a normally 5 minute scene into 15-20minutes. :lol i also noticed the LARGE amount of flashbacks as well. it makes you wonder what the series would be like if someone were to re-edit it.
don't get me wrong i liked winter sonata. but i know exactly what you're talking about :wink:
Thanks for writing and understanding my points. Nobody needs to agree with them. I respect everyone's view, but I don't take insults. Moderators and admin people know much better what to do with the violators. I was warned by the recommenders outside d-addicts that ,"Winter Sonata" is too long and don't compare it with Autumn tale." Now, I know what they meant. I need to research the dramas more carefully from now on.

Icalcan

Post by Icalcan » Oct 8th, '06, 03:02

groink wrote:Brief reasons for the length of K-dramas:

Using baseball as an analogy, there are fans who like watching baseball. And then there are fans who like the statistics of each player. One of my friends is a numbers guy. He can answer virtually any question regarding statistics. BUT, if you ask him what his feelings were about a certain game, he couldn't tell you.

Same thing with K-drama fans: there are fans who are into the story, and I'd say most of them would complain about the story's pace. On the other hand, you have fans who are more into the characters; they prefer the story to be longer, so that it gives enough time for character build-up, allowing the fans to become somewhat intimate with them. The more details they know about the characters, the better they'll enjoy the story. Regardless of the story's pace, or the outcome of the story, to them the characters are more important.

In Japanese dramas, there is less focus on building the characters, but this isn't by accident. Simply, Japan has been using the 4-season system since the invention of the trendy drama back in the late 1980s. Even back then, most fans were more into the story, and the characters were only used to convey the story. Today, it is different, but Japan is stuck with the 4-season system, and it would be VERY VERY difficult to change otherwise.

In either system, there is no right or wrong. Korean producers know what their fans want. Japan producers know what their fans want. Even American producers know what their fans want. To bring Winter Sonata in Japan into the mix, the context of it and its use in this topic just isn't right. Remember that only one or two TV networks in Japan deliver K-dramas to the TV set, so one can't make Winter Sonata in Japan into a common event. Especially when NHK was the vehicle, its demographics is the 50+ age group. I have several videos of Winter Sonata events in Japan, and a large majority of faces you see in the crowds are 50+ Japanese women.

--- groink
good points and well-said.

Icalcan

Post by Icalcan » Oct 8th, '06, 03:06

v1rgi3 wrote:very true about it being repetitve and those annoying flashbacks... sometimes the last few episodes contain so many flashbacks, i start fastforwarding... lol

tho, i disagree with with the slow walking and movements because i think the director was using it to make a statement or impact. (just like how indie films will have a still shot for like 30 secs to make a statement)

if the couple looked back at each other and then walked off in opposite directions in a normal speed, it wouldn't have been as heartwrenching as doing so in slow motion, that way the audience will have time to react and go "AHHHH,, OMG, they're leaving each other FOREVER" lol

i still love k-dramas tho.. lol

ps. @Icalcan : its a forum, so too lazy to actually reread my post, therefore, if there are spelling, grammar errors, I DON'T WANT TO, NOR NEED TO, KNOW WHAT THEY ARE,, so DON'T TELL ME ABOUT IT...
Don't worry. :) I only wrote to the person who quoted me. I am not here to teach or preach, but apparently some are.

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by aNToK » Oct 8th, '06, 03:08

Hmm... Never really thought about that. Character vs. story? I guess I'm more of a "follow the character" type, so I can sit through loooong hours of build-up and character building. Though for all the length, oftentimes the endings of several almost seem like an afterthought. (including Winter Sonata, come to think of it...)

Might be an interesting poll for someone to make up someday....

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by aNToK » Oct 8th, '06, 03:11

@Icanican: Let go with the little snide "I'm not here to teach" and "violators" comments. First, you were, and second, I'm not.

Icalcan

Post by Icalcan » Oct 8th, '06, 03:30

aNToK wrote:@Icanican: Let go with the little snide "I'm not here to teach" and "violators" comments. First, you were, and second, I'm not.
I didn't mean to be harsh on anyone. I explaind the reason why we need to be more observant when we post and let the "second language" readers read them.

@ aNToK, I must admit that you had some nice comments (surprised some d-addicts and made them write to me) about my postings. Don't you think that you sometimes take each issue way too far to the negative side? I hope we all can work together and make this forum a better place for all d-addicts to visit and feel free to comment.

peace and love to all d-addicts. :wub:

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by aNToK » Oct 8th, '06, 03:36

Icalcan wrote:
aNToK wrote:@Icanican: Let go with the little snide "I'm not here to teach" and "violators" comments. First, you were, and second, I'm not.
I didn't mean to be harsh on anyone. I explaind the reason why we need to be more observant when we post and let the "second language" readers read them.

@ aNToK, I must admit that you had some nice comments (surprised some d-addicts and made them write to me) about my postings. Don't you think that you sometimes take each issue way too far to the negative side? I hope we all can work together and make this forum a better place for all d-addicts to visit and feel free to comment.

peace and love to all d-addicts. :wub:
Hmm... Do I take issues to extremes sometimes? Definitely. Negatively? Depends. Some would call the comment I responded to insulting, so I would suppose it depends on who you talk to, ne?

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Oct 8th, '06, 03:38

I was actually going to make a post about this after watching episiode 10 of Stairway to Heaven. I swear there were more flashbacks than new content in that particular espisode.

Anyway, my beef with kdramas is that the first few episodes are usually fast paced and very interesting which draws you into the series, however, towards the middle and end it becomes incredibly draggy. Even the fast paced, light hearted shows like My Girl and Kim Sam Soon are not immune to this. But a perfect example would be 'All In'. I loved the start of it, especially the childhood actors but when they were older and found eachother again every episode was like watching grass grow. I did manage to watch every episode without pressing the fast forward button once, but that's only because I like LBH and LOVE SHK.

As stated in my first paragraph, I'm currently undergoing the "STH drag" right now and there's still another 10 eps to go :( I mean, it wouldn't be all that bad if the lead actress isn't so ugly (sorry CJW fans, but Korea has so many more better looking actresses that can act), but there isn't anything that can hold my interest at the moment. Serisously the child version of CJW, Park Shin Hye is a fantastic actress and is absolutely adorable - I simply cannot comprehend how she grew up to become CJW.

But I guess I'm just ranting at the moment and will choose which series I watch more carefully in future. I know Winter Sonata sure as hell won't be one of them :O

Icalcan

Post by Icalcan » Oct 8th, '06, 04:02

kobe23 wrote:I was actually going to make a post about this after watching episiode 10 of Stairway to Heaven. I swear there were more flashbacks than new content in that particular espisode.

Anyway, my beef with kdramas is that the first few episodes are usually fast paced and very interesting which draws you into the series, however, towards the middle and end it becomes incredibly draggy. Even the fast paced, light hearted shows like My Girl and Kim Sam Soon are not immune to this. But a perfect example would be 'All In'. I loved the start of it, especially the childhood actors but when they were older and found eachother again every episode was like watching grass grow. I did manage to watch every episode without pressing the fast forward button once, but that's only because I like LBH and LOVE SHK.

As stated in my first paragraph, I'm currently undergoing the "STH drag" right now and there's still another 10 eps to go :( I mean, it wouldn't be all that bad if the lead actress isn't so ugly (sorry CJW fans, but Korea has so many more better looking actresses that can act), but there isn't anything that can hold my interest at the moment. Serisously the child version of CJW, Park Shin Hye is a fantastic actress and is absolutely adorable - I simply cannot comprehend how she grew up to become CJW.

But I guess I'm just ranting at the moment and will choose which series I watch more carefully in future. I know Winter Sonata sure as hell won't be one of them :O
Thanks for the funny comments and your view on K-dramas's length. I actually went down to Chinatown in my city to look for some drama recommendations. There are two major stores that sell huge collections of drama DVDs. One of them has started a rating list outside the store. It encourages people to watch each drama fully and come back and write or enter their comments. The results are updated, daily, on a large screen behind the window. A very neat idea to sell more DVDs, I guess.

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by aNToK » Oct 8th, '06, 04:18

I'd be interested in seeing that rating list. People's opinions on things vary so much, it'd be interesting to see how good (or bad) others thought of some of my favorite series...

KingHussien

Post by KingHussien » Oct 8th, '06, 04:55

Icalcan wrote:
I didn't mean to be harsh on anyone. I explainEd the reason why we need to be more observant when we post and let the "second language" readers read them.

Peace and love to all d-addicts. :wub:
Just a friendly reminder from your neighborhood grammar whore that the first letter of the first word in a sentence is supposed to be capitalized.

groink

Post by groink » Oct 8th, '06, 05:04

KingHussien wrote:Just a friendly reminder from your neighborhood grammar whore that the first letter of the first word in a sentence is supposed to be capitalized.
Dude, the problem's already been settled. Don't prolong it like that.

--- groink

KingHussien

Post by KingHussien » Oct 8th, '06, 05:07

groink wrote:
KingHussien wrote:Just a friendly reminder from your neighborhood grammar whore that the first letter of the first word in a sentence is supposed to be capitalized.
Dude, the problem's already been settled. Don't prolong it like that.

--- groink
Well I thought since he was so nice in correcting my grammer that I would return the favor. No harm intended.

captain-nippon

Post by captain-nippon » Oct 8th, '06, 07:55

Even if a Kdrama has bad ratings (i am talking about very bad ratings) they will still run it as planned. Maybe they cut about 2 episodes of the planned episodes but not more. But usually they dont. So the length gets primarily decided by content and not by success. If they get extended, its just a few episodes and if they get cut, its mostly 2 episodes (that doesnt happen as often as you think)
Yes, generally Kdrama are around 16 episodes, even if they get really bad rating...The reason why the producers continue to finish the drama even with a bad rating is because they have no choice. If they don't they'll get sue by the Network or the actors and actresses or even their investment partners. There's a number of reasons why a bad drama get a finish production.
Yes some dramas get extented...but sometimes that is a good thing. For example Resurrection,whithout a doubt one of the best asian dramas. It had horrible ratings because it aired in the same time slot with Kim Sam Soon. Still because critics loved it and because of the great fans and fanclubs they extended it (ok there are also negative examples like Goong,but if the demand is there why not).
It's positive side for the business if a drama get extented...Why? more viewership, also productions for newer episodes cost less and less to produce because scale of economy. Then there is advertisment and promotions, the main source of revenue for Networks. This is why some network request that some drama get extented so they can make more money on advertising. But you can really say that a drama with 18 episodes are extented because the norn in Kdrama are 16 episodes. When people say the drama get extented, i think they're preferring to 25+ episodes.
I never heard of anything similar in the US. And the reason we watch Kdramas are because they wont get dropped somewhere in the middle of the series. Think about US shows which run season to season. Suddenly the network suprises everyone and decides to stop the show inbetween seasons..
Dramas in the US get drop all the time. THAT's Business. Dramas is business, it's all about making money. In the US, each season consist of 22-26 episodes. Smallville have 26 episodes each season, that's about 10 episodes more than tha average drama in Korea. Each season also has a self contain storyline and plot. So it doesn't matter if the series get cancelled.
What happens to the fans? They will never get any conclusion to their series,they just spent a few years watching and it ends with a cliffhanger
What happen tot he fan in korea when a successful drama end? NOTHING. What happen when a series get cancelled like star Trek Enterprise, the fans complaint and email the network. The darkside of this business is that the Network don't really care about the fans, they would care about the value of the series and see it as a vehicle to make money. But if a series did get cancelled between season, that probably mean bad rating and not enough viewership to begin with. So it didn't matter if the series was cancelled.
Kdramas are just different and have to run around 16 episodes. Maybe some drag but thats the writers fault and not because its a kdrama.
but i thought that korean dramas made in Korea represent Kdrama? That's the nature of Kdrama business. In the end it's all about BUSINESS.
Earlier Winter Sonata was mentioned...I didnt like Winter Sonata and thought it dragged. But still it was not only a success in Korea, it was especially a success in Japan. So I wouldnt criticize Koreans too much. And the last thing. Kdramas in general have a higher budget than Jdramas...so whats wrong with Producers getting their investment back?
Winter Sonata is a bad drama, like most Kdrama they over play the jealously and recyle the same idea over and over again to make it longer. The reason why the drama was successful in Japan was because of Bae Yong Jun. Old Japanese women fall for this look. It wasn't because the drama was good. That's the reason why no other korea drama had the same success since Winter Sonata, NO Bae Yong Jun.

Korean dramas are a dying breed in Japan and Asia. It's very simple, people are begining to see that Kdrama have the same story and plot in almost every drama. It's like watching the same drama over and over again, and dragging the drama by 10 episodes with more jealously and meaningless fighting doesn't help the appearl either. And the drama that have ugly actors will never be a hit in Japan or asia, it doesn't matter if it's good drama.

Just remember the korean WAVE was a korean media invention. It was the finish time korean drama had the level awareness across asia. There was never really a Japanese WAVE because people in Asia had been watch Jdrama for 20 years now.

I am not sure about the cost of K and J dramas. You have to take everything into consideration, Kdrama are a lot longer than Jdrama, therefore is cost more to make because it's longer, more episodes more production. But I do know this for a fact, the industry in Japan are at least 4-5 bigger than korea. An example would be the Japanese box office is worth around $2 billions US, while the korean box office is worth around $350 millions US. So the drama business should come close to this number...

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by aNToK » Oct 8th, '06, 10:15

I see Cappy's still trying to wave his "Japan Rules" flag where he gets the chance. A little more subtle and less in-your-face this time around. You're learning...

S'okay for now. Just remember that most of the above consists of your own opinions and conclusions and you'll be fine...

WroW
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by WroW » Oct 8th, '06, 10:16

@captain nippon
Well since you dont seem to be a Kdrama expert. Kdramas arent 16 episodes generally. It depends on the drama not the rating. Most dramas can be categorized into the 16episode dramas and 20 episode dramas. 95% of all Kdramas run either of them without extension or being cut off. Mostly only historical or big budget dramas run over 20 episodes.

And if a drama ends in Korea of course the fans dont complain because it has an ending. And it does matter for the fans if a series gets cancelled???...I can give you a lot of US shows for example where the ratings werent really that bad and still got cancalled. At least Koreans sill sometimes take the fans into consideration.

Yes they represent Kdrama so what? Some dramas have to drag. For example Fashion 70s. It was a slow drama but that slowness really gave the viewer time to lose himself in the beautiful sets and the characters they created. Or Resurrection,maybe considered a flawless perfect drama (by critics and also by me). Still it dragged sometimes. But I wouldnt change those parts either, because it gave the viewer time to think and dive deeper into the story and characters.

And yes Winter Sonata was successfull because of the actor. So what...tell me Japanese girls dont get crazy if their favorite boy group members play in a drama. Quality doesnt always mean success ,most of the time its superficial reasons.

And calling Kdramas a dying bread is also bs. You forget the chinese market. Kdramas are more successfull nowadays in china than any other asian market.
Yes the japanese market is the bigger but as we all know and as it already has been discussed many times, japanese only care about their own market (again doesnt mean to criticize it, just a fact)

Still considered market Kdramas and also Korean movies are produced at a larget scale. I dont want to criticize jdramas because I like them just as much as kdramas. But even if all kdramas are supposed to have a similar story line ,they still sometimes take the risk of really big budget productions. Something I seldom see in Japan. You are right about the length and more cost. But there are also Japanese historical dramas that run over 50 episodes,right? Still Jumong (60episodes) has a budget of 55 Million $ (with that I dont mean that its either better or worse than a Japanese historical drama). And the next Korean historical drama with your beloved Bae Yong Jun :P has even a budget of 65 million$.And next year also modern dramas will raise their budgets,something they wouldnt do if they wouldnt be successfull. Speed for example has a budget of 20 Million$ and it will only run around 20 episodes. I could go on with the examples.

And if you dont want to take Winter Sonata as an example I can easiely take Dae Jang Geum as an example. It was the most successfull non chinese drama in China.Besides China it was also successfull in many other asian countrys, including Japan. It was also very successfull in the US,when it either aired in the Chicago area or lately oon AZN TV. And that surely wasnt because of good looking actors :P

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Oct 8th, '06, 11:53

It is true that most people judge a series on whether their favorite actor/actress is in it. Just take il_mare's All In review for example; Although I have high regards for il_mare as a reviewer, she is totally obsessed with LBH and it really shows in that review. How can someoone possibly watch that series 3 times and like it more each time? I personally recommend anyone suffering from insomnia to use All In as the perfect remedy.

As for kdrama being a dying breed, I don't think so. They really have some very competent directors and incredibly talented actors, although their scripwriters need to improve...a lot. They also need to get rid of the drag that seems to plague almost every single drama.

Aside from all that, I think there's one thing we can all agree on: Kdrama is home to the best looking actors/actresses (who can act), and that pretty much guarantees success in one way or another.

WroW
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by WroW » Oct 8th, '06, 12:49

kobe23 wrote:It is true that most people judge a series on whether their favorite actor/actress is in it. Just take il_mare's All In review for example; Although I have high regards for il_mare as a reviewer, she is totally obsessed with LBH and it really shows in that review. How can someoone possibly watch that series 3 times and like it more each time? I personally recommend anyone suffering from insomnia to use All In as the perfect remedy.

As for kdrama being a dying breed, I don't think so. They really have some very competent directors and incredibly talented actors, although their scripwriters need to improve...a lot. They also need to get rid of the drag that seems to plague almost every single drama.

Aside from all that, I think there's one thing we can all agree on: Kdrama is home to the best looking actors/actresses (who can act), and that pretty much guarantees success in one way or another.
Well that again is your opinion...who says you are right or il mare is right?
All In is a good drama, the only problem it had were the boring family scenes. :P
I wouldnt say no to a sequel :mrgreen:

melonyhappy

Post by melonyhappy » Oct 9th, '06, 05:00

OvertheRainbow wrote:
Icalcan wrote:
lol you just spoiled the whole show.
It's not my favourite. but it's short. It's kinda different in the fact that I couldn't like either of the female characters. One was stupid the other was a b*tch.
kobe23 wrote:I was actually going to make a post about this after watching episiode 10 of Stairway to Heaven. I swear there were more flashbacks than new content in that particular espisode.

That's how I felt! I bought it because everyone said it was really good. After the kids grew up I became bored (lol partly because Lee Wan wasn't part of the cast anymore). The kids were good. Then it just got boring. I've only finished it halfway. The music was overly dramatic too.

aa

Post by aa » Oct 11th, '06, 06:21

The format is this way because it's designed for Korean audiences. Also in Korea It's always been about the story-telling, the building up of characters pasts/background/relationships - so the audience can really get to know the character. Even before the boom in Kdramas going abroad, this has always been the case in K-dramas.
But I guess I can add this - Korean dramas were really slow in the past- talking about before Autumn Tale, before Star in My Heart. Pace has picked up a lot in the past couple years.

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Oct 11th, '06, 07:16

And as Korean drama become more mainstream across Asia and the rest of the world, I'm sure the pace will pickup even more, but hopefuly not to the extent where it loses it's uniqueness.

Kamui6
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Kamui6 » Oct 11th, '06, 08:23

I preferred long and drawn out to a rushed ending... it sucks when they have to rush the ending just to stay on schedule or within the limited amt of eps.

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by aNToK » Oct 11th, '06, 08:39

Heh, all this talk about the length of Kdramas in the 16-24 ep range, and I'm in the middle of subbing one that runs 70 eps..... (and one that runs 34 as well, come to think of it...) Glutton for punishment perhaps? Kind of a shame though. I think a lot of people are scared away from Terms of Endearment because of it's ridiculous length, but it's actually turned out to be a more eventful drama in the first 25 eps than most are in their entirety. Hope it continues. (or maybe I scare them away?:P)

Now if someone could point me to a Mainland Chinese series (or movie for that matter), that doesn't have a jacked-up, depressing ending I'd be happy. I swear they make those things depressing in the end just to try to make people's normal lives seem better by comparison. I'm about 0-50 or so on those...

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Oct 11th, '06, 21:39

aNToK wrote:Heh, all this talk about the length of Kdramas in the 16-24 ep range, and I'm in the middle of subbing one that runs 70 eps..... (and one that runs 34 as well, come to think of it...) Glutton for punishment perhaps? .
Ouch. You guys must be masochists or something :P How long does it take to sub one episode? hehe no seriously, I have much respect for all the subbers from d-addicts, it's your hard work and competence that make these drama's so enjoyable for people like me who don't understand korean. Keep up the pain! err...hard work
:D

vajmaivkub86

Y it may be slow

Post by vajmaivkub86 » Oct 11th, '06, 22:04

lol. I know what you mean, see it several time to. But to some degree, I think there is a purpose. I think they want to create this emotional and something depressing scene for the audience. I had a sister and whenever things like that happened, she kept saying she can't breathe and have no patience. Sometime, I would wish for them to edit out that scene, but imagine all the action scenes, would the movie still make you feel the same. I don't think so. In term of plot, it's ok, but if you want the audience to feel or react to it, you would have done what the director had done too. Just my opinion. Sometime I won't feel the sensation of it, but maybe someone else do. So you know, however I do agree with you, just that there's the other half too.

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Oct 11th, '06, 22:28

Long, draggy dramas are good if you like the characters and their relationships with the supporting cast. It's a pain when you don't give a sh*t about either lead, though.

goygakgoy

Post by goygakgoy » Oct 12th, '06, 02:15

The longest Kdrama I'd ever watch was around 40 episodes. They're addicting, but at the end, I don't care about it. It's an insult cuz they fill them up with nonsense. The thing that annoys me the most is how they keep playing the same freaking songs over and over.

groink

Post by groink » Oct 12th, '06, 02:29

goygakgoy wrote:The longest Kdrama I'd ever watch was around 40 episodes. They're addicting, but at the end, I don't care about it. It's an insult cuz they fill them up with nonsense. The thing that annoys me the most is how they keep playing the same freaking songs over and over.
LOL! I completely agree. Even with lengthy Japanese dramas, I sometimes prefer to watch the soushuuhen version over the original. Soushuuhen is roughly a "condensed", "shortened" or what I like to call the "Cliff Notes" version of a drama. For example, in the case of NHK morning dramas, a 156-episode (39 hours) is shrunken down to four hours. Or, for NHK taiga dramas, 38 hours is shrunken down to two hours. And in every case I've watched both the soushuuhen and original versions, both cover the same major premises. And in most roundtable sittings, I can still discuss the overall subject matters.

So once again, it depends on what the individual viewer wants: the plot/outcome, or the gory details like what time the Choi family eats dinner, or whether Young-sun makes a right or a left when walking the dog.

--- groink

cho09

Post by cho09 » Oct 12th, '06, 03:38

HAHAHAHA so cute.. they DO walk very slowly and take a long time to talk HAHAHAHAHA

but dramas of this length are quite common... hongkong dramas are usually easily 20 or more episodes... singaporean and taiwanese dramas are also ranging from about 16-30 or even 40 episodes...

hongkong had this epic drama of 100episodes before... chuang shi ji.. dunno if you still remember...

only japan has the really short dramas...

captain-nippon

Post by captain-nippon » Oct 15th, '06, 08:40

@captain nippon
Well since you dont seem to be a Kdrama expert. Kdramas arent 16 episodes generally. It depends on the drama not the rating. Most dramas can be categorized into the 16episode dramas and 20 episode dramas. 95% of all Kdramas run either of them without extension or being cut off. Mostly only historical or big budget dramas run over 20 episodes.

And if a drama ends in Korea of course the fans dont complain because it has an ending. And it does matter for the fans if a series gets cancelled???...I can give you a lot of US shows for example where the ratings werent really that bad and still got cancalled. At least Koreans sill sometimes take the fans into consideration.

Yes they represent Kdrama so what? Some dramas have to drag. For example Fashion 70s. It was a slow drama but that slowness really gave the viewer time to lose himself in the beautiful sets and the characters they created. Or Resurrection,maybe considered a flawless perfect drama (by critics and also by me). Still it dragged sometimes. But I wouldnt change those parts either, because it gave the viewer time to think and dive deeper into the story and characters.

And yes Winter Sonata was successfull because of the actor. So what...tell me Japanese girls dont get crazy if their favorite boy group members play in a drama. Quality doesnt always mean success ,most of the time its superficial reasons.

And calling Kdramas a dying bread is also bs. You forget the chinese market. Kdramas are more successfull nowadays in china than any other asian market.
Yes the japanese market is the bigger but as we all know and as it already has been discussed many times, japanese only care about their own market (again doesnt mean to criticize it, just a fact)

Still considered market Kdramas and also Korean movies are produced at a larget scale. I dont want to criticize jdramas because I like them just as much as kdramas. But even if all kdramas are supposed to have a similar story line ,they still sometimes take the risk of really big budget productions. Something I seldom see in Japan. You are right about the length and more cost. But there are also Japanese historical dramas that run over 50 episodes,right? Still Jumong (60episodes) has a budget of 55 Million $ (with that I dont mean that its either better or worse than a Japanese historical drama). And the next Korean historical drama with your beloved Bae Yong Jun Tongue has even a budget of 65 million$.And next year also modern dramas will raise their budgets,something they wouldnt do if they wouldnt be successfull. Speed for example has a budget of 20 Million$ and it will only run around 20 episodes. I could go on with the examples.

And if you dont want to take Winter Sonata as an example I can easiely take Dae Jang Geum as an example. It was the most successfull non chinese drama in China.Besides China it was also successfull in many other asian countrys, including Japan. It was also very successfull in the US,when it either aired in the Chicago area or lately oon AZN TV. And that surely wasnt because of good looking actors Tongue
You seem to have an excuse for everything they do in korea...but that's OK....

You're right, I am not an expert in Kdrama, but a iam an expert at telingl a copy of a copy of a copy productions...Winter Sonata and Stairway to Heaven, I just can't tell the differences. As for the scale of Kdramas, i was merely making referrences to the US market, not to Asia. ...The US comedy 3rd Rocks from the Sun, it's a really good show with high rating, YOu know why it was cancelled? Because the producers ran out of ideas and they don't want turn it into a bad show. Just look at the Simpsons, 17 years it's still on the air. The first 5 seasons of the simpsons was awesome...

I don't think you understood anything I writen, You have themost unparadox excuse for draggy drama i ever heard...
gave the viewer time to lose himself in the beautiful sets and the characters they created.
I the stupidest reason i ever heard...I guess making money is not important as long as you lose yourself in the setting. Didn't work on me did it?

Of course the japanese market take cares of their own. They have too. I never been to korea, maybe you have but I don't think there's too many Japanese drama shown in korea TV?

Japanese drama and Korean drama are completely differents, both are driven by revenues and viewerships. Jdrama are way shorter on average scale to kdrama because of their timeslot. Jdrama are air quarterly, 3 months in a quarter, 12 episodes are fixed into each quarters. That's why most Jdrama are 12 episodes. NHK do make drama that are 50+ episodes. I think there was 1 drama that was over 20 years in productions, I don't remember the title.

You give me all of this example of korean productions budgets, I think that's great, korea has come a long way from producing cheap budget drama, so what does this have to do with anything at all? High budget prodctions doesn't make it's a good drama. I am sure I am right on this point.

OH yes, Bae Yong Jun, korean forgotten SON. I am pretty sure his new drama will no doubt make little money in Korea and destined to EXPORT to BAE motherland JAPAN. But the funniest thing is NHK will make more money than the korean company that produce the drama...Welcome to show biz.
Last edited by captain-nippon on Oct 15th, '06, 08:51, edited 1 time in total.

captain-nippon

Post by captain-nippon » Oct 15th, '06, 08:46

I see Cappy's still trying to wave his "Japan Rules" flag where he gets the chance. A little more subtle and less in-your-face this time around. You're learning...

S'okay for now. Just remember that most of the above consists of your own opinions and conclusions and you'll be fine...
Let me feed you to some bananas... :whistling: Once you have full stormch and lock in your cage with the rest of the monkeys you're be fine.

captain-nippon

Post by captain-nippon » Oct 15th, '06, 08:55

The longest Kdrama I'd ever watch was around 40 episodes. They're addicting, but at the end, I don't care about it. It's an insult cuz they fill them up with nonsense. The thing that annoys me the most is how they keep playing the same freaking songs over and over.
I bet ya they make a lot of money playing that same song over and over again. And I am willing to be you that they spend half the time fighting over nonsense and I episode making up...it's called the final episode.

captain-nippon

Post by captain-nippon » Oct 15th, '06, 09:16

And as Korean drama become more mainstream across Asia and the rest of the world, I'm sure the pace will pickup even more, but hopefuly not to the extent where it loses it's uniqueness.
man i hope you just joking?????????

you must be.... YOu HAVE TO BE.

I live in Toronto, but I have US channels, CBS, NBC, FOX, ABC, all the big US networks and Canadian networks to , I don't think they ever had a HK or Japanese drama on their next in the last 20 years....

You have no idea how the americans think do you? HInts, they don't like foreign products in their country to complete with the domestic products. generally this is the case in most countries. So far in the last 10 months the only asian movie that get a nationalwide release was the Jet Li movie called Fearless, and it made like $25 millions. it was release 3 weeks ago.

There's a very good chance Kdrama will stay in Asia for a very long time......NO US networks would ever in their crazy mind would air a kdrama. They don't even air French or German drama...

However, in Toronto there is a Korea Channel for koreans. It's cost like 75 bucks a month and we have a multicultures channel that show only chinese movies, never koreans or Japanese movies.

kyu-ree

Post by kyu-ree » Oct 15th, '06, 09:37

hahaha, did you ever see a German drama?? Why would anyone air that in another country X_X

WroW
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by WroW » Oct 15th, '06, 09:49

@captain-nippon
Well is it possible you are only active here on threads where you have the possibility to hail japan and be negative about korea.

You should read properly...I never said bigger budget=better drama. I only used the budget to show you the demand for korean dramas is rising, if not no producer or network would invest so much money.
And before you continue to talk about korean dramas you should at least have seen more (and I remember a comment by you in another thread where you said you just watch kdramas with pretty girls....now thats the right way to find quality dramas :glare: ). If not we could also talk here about Russian Dramas which I assume no one of us has seen but I am sure you find them better than kdramas :roll

And the day a korean drama airs on a major US Network is the day I will stop watching korean dramas. Of course thats easy to say because it will never happen but thats a good thing. Its enough for hollywood to butcher Asien movies.
Last edited by WroW on Oct 15th, '06, 10:00, edited 2 times in total.

groink

Post by groink » Oct 15th, '06, 09:56

cho09 wrote:only japan has the really short dramas...
Well, even Japan has long dramas, probably even longer than other Eastern Asian markets. Mito Komon has been around since 1969, with 1060 episodes as of the end of 2005. Abarenbo Shogun had 829 episodes from 1978 to 2002. And, once a year since 1963, NHK has aired a 50-episode drama. Even non-Jidaigeki dramas, many of the cop shows are mega long; Hagure Keiji Junjoha ran for 18 years (1988 to 2005), with almost 500 episodes in all. Onsen e Ikou ran for five seasons worth 289 episodes.

But the topic here doesn't include the multi-year dramas. At least I don't think the creator of this topic intended to include them. We're basically talking about the trendy dramas - those that run either quarterly like the Japanese, or the four-month seasons the Koreans use.

Back to the main topic... Consider this: Hypothetically speaking, let's say that a four-month per-season system pumps out 63 different drama series per year (three networks, one drama per network per day.) Compared to a quarterly season system, you would have 84 different drama series. If the Koreans followed the quarterly season, you would be gifted with 21 MORE DRAMA SERIES!!!!!!! One would say that the 63 shows are better quality than the 84 shows. The other would say he enjoys almost two dozen more storylines using the quarterly system. While neither is right or wrong, it is still an interesting factor worth considering.

--- groink

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by aNToK » Oct 15th, '06, 10:24

Sigh... I swear to God, cappy, you just go looking for ropes to hang yourself from.

Looks like you're just dying to turn every Korean thread you can find into some stupid-ass bashing session that winds up with you looking like a moronic shithead and me having to call you on it and make you look like an even bigger ass than you already do.

You'd think that at some point it would sink in that you don't get to sit around and do your shitty little pro-Japan bash jobs against everything Korean wouldn't you?

Guess being an inch away from being banned for your comments and being made a fool of in so many threads just doesn't sink in to that beady little head of yours, does it?
You seem to have an excuse for everything they do in korea...but that's OK....

You're right, I am not an expert in Kdrama, but a iam an expert at telingl a copy of a copy of a copy productions...Winter Sonata and Stairway to Heaven, I just can't tell the differences. As for the scale of Kdramas, i was merely making referrences to the US market, not to Asia. ...The US comedy 3rd Rocks from the Sun, it's a really good show with high rating, YOu know why it was cancelled? Because the producers ran out of ideas and they don't want turn it into a bad show. Just look at the Simpsons, 17 years it's still on the air. The first 5 seasons of the simpsons was awesome...
One thing that's true: You're NOT an expert in Kdrama. As far as being an "expert at telingl a copy of a copy", no, you're not an expert there either. Just a silly-ass basher looking for an excuse. By the way, declining viewership and a general feeling that 3rd Rock (not Rocks, which you'd find between your ears) was getting worse and worse led to the network dropping the series, not some noble "we're out of ideas" gesture. The fact that Cappy still loved the series doesn't mean most people did. Though from what I've seen of you, I'm not surprised you're a fan of aliens on Earth. Probably makes you feel right at home.... And people still love The Simpsons. And South Park. Go figure.
Quote:
gave the viewer time to lose himself in the beautiful sets and the characters they created.

I the stupidest reason i ever heard...I guess making money is not important as long as you lose yourself in the setting. Didn't work on me did it?
Lessee, here's typical cappy bullshit: Someone gives their thought on why the producers do things the way they do, and Crappy brings up some off-center line, like there's only one reason for anything, and that's the one Crappy believes.

Oh no, there, Crappy, making a drama interesting and involving for viewers, thereby increasing ratings, which, as you might be able to figure, increases their cashflow, has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with anything. How stupid could they possibly be? perish the thought.... Proving the previous person right with your own comments is not the way to win an argument.

Which brings us back around to the point here. Your stupid little fucked-up brain seems to see everything as some kind of battle. Believe it or not, little one, people can and do discuss things, share ideas, and generally talk without anyone having to "defend" anything, be "right" or "wrong", or generally act like an ass. Except for you, of course.
Let me feed you to some bananas... Once you have full stormch and lock in your cage with the rest of the monkeys you're be fine.
Coming from you, that's downright boring...
Besides, bananas are loaded with potassium and other good things, I eat them all the time.
And no cage is more tightly locked or desolate than the one around your mind...

As far as your last post, I find it hilarious that you seem to think that you have a clue what "Americans" think compared to anyone else around here. A lonely Vietnamese guy who wishes he was Japanese and lives in Canada. Yep, that's the prime voice for things Americana.

And by the way, ****-for-brains, many US networks carry Korean dramas, as well as Chinese ones and Japanese. Along with a ton of stations available via satellite, etc. And that market IS growing, nitwit. For someone who loves to throw up random numbers, you'd think one of these days your stupid ass would check a fact or two before throwing up your bullshit.

**** idiot. You're so done it's pathetic.

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by aNToK » Oct 15th, '06, 10:38

Little side-note, crapster? As more and more Asian actors and actresses are finding important roles in television here in your favorite little USA, (and a huge chunk of that Korean, btw), there will be an increase in interest in other forms of entertainment, including dramas.
The closed-end story format seen in the dramas here is showing up in ever-increasing numbers as well, though I'm sure Hollywood will screw it up to make a buck several times before they start to get it right.

Your phobic little mindset needs a rest. Shall I put you to sleep? Had to do that with a dog I had once. Wasn't pleasant, but when something goes feral, sometimes there's no other choice. Luckily, your madness is much less contagious than rabies, though I can easily picture you foaming at the mouth....

captain-nippon

Post by captain-nippon » Oct 15th, '06, 23:04

@captain-nippon
Well is it possible you are only active here on threads where you have the possibility to hail japan and be negative about korea.

You should read properly...I never said bigger budget=better drama. I only used the budget to show you the demand for korean dramas is rising, if not no producer or network would invest so much money.
And before you continue to talk about korean dramas you should at least have seen more (and I remember a comment by you in another thread where you said you just watch kdramas with pretty girls....now thats the right way to find quality dramas Glare ). If not we could also talk here about Russian Dramas which I assume no one of us has seen but I am sure you find them better than kdramas Roll Eyes

And the day a korean drama airs on a major US Network is the day I will stop watching korean dramas. Of course thats easy to say because it will never happen but thats a good thing. Its enough for hollywood to butcher Asien movies.
God you're a funny one. No, I have not watch a Russian movie or drama in my life time. Come on, I thought this topic was why Kdrama are draggy, and I DIDN"T START IT. There's a lot of people on this forum whom think Kdrama are DRAGGY...If you like those kinda of draggy stuff that's fine. I don't, many don't.

Generally speaking Japanese dramas are so much shorter, they do have longer drama, like Musashi, 49 episodes, it got really boring start from episode 25-40. The reason why people don't say why Japanese drama are draggy because they NOT. Most are 12 epsisodes, and I do mean MOST.

The only Kdrama that I saw with 20 episodes that I like was "Please Save My Last Dance", It wasn;'t annoying at all. It actually was fairly made drama. My name is Kim Sam Soon was very good drama too, I didn't found this drama to be annoying at all. I wouldn't stand the stupidity in Stairway to Heaven, I had to stop watch around episode 10. it was so annoying.

That's where you're wrong about me , i watch k movies all the time. I download them and watch them, if I like the movie in the first 30 minutes, I'll continue to watch it, If I don't like them I don't watch them.
I
That's right, I only watch korean drama if they have pretty girls, same thing with Jdramas, I only watch those with pretty girls. I will not waste my time watching ugly girls on TV....

Oh there is one thing i want to talk to you about since you brought it up. Bae Jung Yon new $65 millions drama, there is no doubt the production will be very high for this drama and i will guess this is the most expensive Kdrama ever. Let say 65 millions and 1 millions per episode, that will be 65 episodes. Do you know how many episodes for this drama?

I don't know the condition of the drama, but I will dare say that the producer is not aiming to make money in Korea. They have bigger plan for this drama, with a $65 million budget there will be no way in HELL they can recover that money in Korea alone. And Since it's a Bae Yung Yon drama, I am going to guess Japan will be the MAIN MARKET. Bae is the biggest Korean export to Japan. The old japanese woman love this guy. Same thing with Brad Pitt and Tom Criuse in the 90's, How long did their flame lasted in Japan?

I don't know if any contract had been sign with NHK yet, but if the Korean producer ask for too much money, NHK will not sign anything with them. NHK will want to make more money in Japan and the rest of asia than the Korean producers, eventhough, NHK didn't do a damn thing. The Japanese will not allow any korean drama into their country to complete with their own productions and make any money off of their people.

NHK made millions off of Winter Sonata, more money than the korean producers. it's stupid, but that's business.

So, my question for you is is it really a good idea to produce t drama at $ 65 milions when the domestic market can't support that kind of productions. What happen if Japan say you give us 75% of the revenue or it's not gonna be air in Japan? Relying on Foreign market do meet your revenue stream isn't alway the brightiest idea on the block...

captain-nippon

Post by captain-nippon » Oct 15th, '06, 23:07

aNToK, go back to your cage monkey boy and eat some more bananas while you're at it. I didn't even you the craps that you wrote.......

the stupidity the comes out of your ass is unfathomable....
**** idiot. You're so done it's pathetic.
Your stupid little fucked-up brain seems to see everything as some kind of battle
God you need help, i guess locking you up in that monkey cage is not doing you any good. But thanks for making yourself a complete fool for everyone to laught at. That's what monkey boy like you are for. :whistling:
Last edited by captain-nippon on Oct 15th, '06, 23:22, edited 2 times in total.

WroW
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by WroW » Oct 15th, '06, 23:15

captain-nippon wrote:
@captain-nippon

And before you continue to talk about korean dramas you should at least have seen more (and I remember a comment by you in another thread where you said you just watch kdramas with pretty girls....now thats the right way to find quality dramas Glare ). If not we could also talk here about Russian Dramas which I assume no one of us has seen but I am sure you find them better than kdramas Roll Eyes

God you're a funny one. No, I have not watch a Russian movie or drama in my life time. Come on, I thought this topic was why Kdrama are draggy, and I DIDN"T START IT. There's a lot of people on this forum whom think Kdrama are DRAGGY...If you like those kinda of draggy stuff that's fine. I don't, many don't.

Generally speaking Japanese dramas are so much shorter, they do have longer drama, like Musashi, 49 episodes, it got really boring start from episode 25-40. The reason why people don't say why Japanese drama are draggy because they NOT. Most are 12 epsisodes, and I do mean MOST.

The only Kdrama that I saw with 20 episodes that I like was "Please Save My Last Dance", It wasn;'t annoying at all. It actually was fairly made drama. My name is Kim Sam Soon was very good drama too, I didn't found this drama to be annoying at all. I wouldn't stand the stupidity in Stairway to Heaven, I had to stop watch around episode 10. it was so annoying.

That's where you're wrong about me , i watch k movies all the time. I download them and watch them, if I like the movie in the first 30 minutes, I'll continue to watch it, If I don't like them I don't watch them.
I
That's right, I only watch korean drama if they have pretty girls, same thing with Jdramas, I only watch those with pretty girls. I will not waste my time watching ugly girls on TV....

Oh there is one thing i want to talk to you about since you brought it up. Bae Jung Yon new $65 millions drama, there is no doubt the production will be very high for this drama and i will guess this is the most expensive Kdrama ever. Let say 65 millions and 1 millions per episode, that will be 65 episodes. Do you know how many episodes for this drama?

I don't know the condition of the drama, but I will dare say that the producer is not aiming to make money in Korea. They have bigger plan for this drama, with a $65 million budget there will be no way in HELL they can recover that money in Korea alone. And Since it's a Bae Yung Yon drama, I am going to guess Japan will be the MAIN MARKET. Bae is the biggest Korean export to Japan. The old japanese woman love this guy. Same thing with Brad Pitt and Tom Criuse in the 90's, How long did their flame lasted in Japan?

I don't know if any contract had been sign with NHK yet, but if the Korean producer ask for too much money, NHK will not sign anything with them. NHK will want to make more money in Japan and the rest of asia than the Korean producers, eventhough, NHK didn't do a damn thing. The Japanese will not allow any korean drama into their country to complete with their own productions and make any money off of their people.

NHK made millions off of Winter Sonata, more money than the korean producers. it's stupid, but that's business.

So, my question for you is is it really a good idea to produce t drama at $ 65 milions when the domestic market can't support that kind of productions. What happen if Japan say you give us 75% of the revenue or it's not gonna be air in Japan? Relying on Foreign market do meet your revenue stream isn't alway the brightiest idea on the block...
See you liked KSS and STLD and you disliked Staiway to Heaven.
Its not about being to long or draggy. Stairway to Heaven is just a bad drama....even making it run 10 episodes wouldnt have saved it. So its not about being draggy....those are just bad dramas that are bad no matter how many episodes they have.
Thats all I am saying and about the budget issue...of course they will use the sets as tourist attractions and get some revenue from that and selling the dramas in other Asien countrys brings in some money too. And besides that historical dramas are a almost guaranteed hit in Korea.
So thats it for me and this thread hopefully. :roll

captain-nippon

Post by captain-nippon » Oct 15th, '06, 23:28

See you liked KSS and STLD and you disliked Staiway to Heaven.
Its not about being to long or draggy. Stairway to Heaven is just a bad drama....even making it run 10 episodes wouldnt have saved it. So its not about being draggy....those are just bad dramas that are bad no matter how many episodes they have.
Thats all I am saying and about the budget issue...of course they will use the sets as tourist attractions and get some revenue from that and selling the dramas in other Asien countrys brings in some money too. And besides that historical dramas are a almost guaranteed hit in Korea. So thats it for me and this thread hopefully. Roll Eyes

That's my whole point. the budget is too high for the domestic market to suppose. Most korean movie don't even make $20 millions, most korean movie don't even cost $10 millions to produces....$65 millions is too much , if it fail in Japan the producers will lose a ton of money, if it's succuss in korea, it will not make back the $65 million in korea alone.

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by aNToK » Oct 16th, '06, 00:17

@Crappy: Sorry, silly. Anyone who has read your posts knows very well that you dig through responses for any little thing you can try to distort. You read every little word, and couldn't find a damn thing in it to refute. Poor little boy. Your transparency is matched only by your idiocy.

I'll take those bananas though. Good eatin'!!!

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by aNToK » Oct 16th, '06, 06:58

'Nother little side note, Crappy? The fact that you seem to hate just about every drama besides "Save The Last Dance" pretty much disqualifies you from having anyone take any of your little opinions or views seriously.

The only sad thing (besides you in general) is that I (and my partners, of course!)subbed what seems to be your favorite Kdrama.
Wish there was some kind of filter to keep total assholes from viewing my efforts. Ah well.

Hmm... much better to be a monkey than to be that which is cleaned out of the bottom of the monkey's cage there, Crappy.

Now that I think of it, in a very literal way, you become one with the banana eventually. Imagine that!!!!

I'm sure that you'll figure the above insult out eventually. Though it would also explain my need to shower after each bowel movement. Some stenches are just so difficult to cleanse....

crazylife123
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by crazylife123 » Oct 16th, '06, 07:27

actually, i dont find K-drama to be too long. 16-20 episodes are good enough for me. C-Drama average around 30-40 episodes.

laure_choc

Post by laure_choc » Oct 16th, '06, 08:41

kyu-ree wrote:hahaha, did you ever see a German drama?? Why would anyone air that in another country X_X
Well, it does air in France :P, or at least it did 10 years ago. I don't know exactly what's airing now, i almost don't watch TV anymore.
And i'm not only talking about Derrick, that's my parents' treat, but I don't remember the names of the TVseries I watched anymore.

Going back to the subject, I guess it's up to everybody. It's definitly easier for me to get into a jdrama than a kdrama but I think it's more because of the subjects. It seems kdramas are mainly about love and feelings, whatever the situation around. Jdramas do focus more on those different situations. But that's only my point of view.

However when kdramas are well done, it won't get draggy to me, be it 14 or 54 ep.
So I think it has indeed something to do with the quality of the story more than the number of episodes.

I couldn't finish the 1st ep of Winter Sonata when I tried it 1year ago. This thread helped convincing me it's indeed not a drama for me :)

20centuryboy

Post by 20centuryboy » Oct 16th, '06, 08:43

laure_choc wrote:
kyu-ree wrote:hahaha, did you ever see a German drama?? Why would anyone air that in another country X_X
Well, it does air in France :P, or at least it did 10 years ago. I don't know exactly what's airing now, i almost don't watch TV anymore.
And i'm not only talking about Derrick, that's my parents' treat, but I don't remember the names of the TVseries I watched anymore.
"la clinique de la forêt noire"? :dopey:

laure_choc

Post by laure_choc » Oct 16th, '06, 09:04

Off-topic again
20centuryboy wrote: "la clinique de la forêt noire"? :dopey:
No I was thinking about this serie about 2 young guys and there was something about sailing lol
Maybe you remember the name something like "vents et marées" :scratch:

It was more for teenagers, though I remember watching "la clinique de la forêt noir" too :P