Can you tell asians apart?

Discuss about anything here that doesn't fit in the other categories. Just don't spam.

what was your score?

0-4
16%
5-9
77%
16-18 (damn you're good)
7%

Total votes: 161

waqar

Post by waqar » Sep 8th, '06, 13:56

My postcard was bad got only 8 correct but i thing i was not bad in guessing :)

keikei_b

Post by keikei_b » Sep 8th, '06, 14:59

wahha i done this bfore under the name vicky,..wonder if u can check results...got 7 this time round :P hehe average! well i cant tell the diff it says :P

furikake

Post by furikake » Sep 17th, '06, 04:55

junkiLUVIN101 wrote:i can instantly tell the diff between the three languages (many ppl can)
These languages are so different that If you can't tell them apart, you just haven't listened asian languages that often. So you just group them in "some extrange asian language that I can't understand nor even care where is it from"

It's the same with any language. When you listen some african language you can't understand It's just "some african language which I can't understand..."

With racial mixture, faces may be difficult to recognize sometimes.

And now that I think about it, some friends can't tell the difference between chinese and korean (languages). They are japanese too. Although with all this korean boom (which I hate) I think this will change soon.

About fashion, I think japanese fashion is different to the korean. In fact, it's easier to recognize a korean if you look a his clothes. (although, some koreans may be dressing like japanese and viceversa)
Last edited by furikake on Sep 17th, '06, 08:35, edited 1 time in total.

sachan

Post by sachan » Sep 17th, '06, 05:07

Awww I got 9. XD

trentmc

Post by trentmc » Sep 18th, '06, 10:19

yikes!! think i got lucky..... 12

The ones that I thought were easy were the ones that tricked me! (mainly the uncles)

:crazy:

Keymoon

Post by Keymoon » Sep 18th, '06, 10:28

man...only got 7 good...I suck bigtime! and I am asian..

trentmc

Post by trentmc » Sep 18th, '06, 10:34

Keymoon wrote:man...only got 7 good...I suck bigtime! and I am asian..
I dont think it was easy brother! Think its designed to trick ya anyway...

sassy_girl_04

Post by sassy_girl_04 » Sep 24th, '06, 15:14

that was tough! i only got 5, i was quite confident that i could to tell them apart... i guess i was wrong... lol

supastar85

Post by supastar85 » Sep 24th, '06, 15:40

i can tell the typical chinese, japanease n korean apart! but some i just missed out >< ...

korean eyes smiles like this n_n ..... japanease r stylish.... chinese looks normal..

i'mma probably steriotyping.. but i only got round 11.. :-)

jellybean

Post by jellybean » Sep 24th, '06, 16:17

I got a 7 which doesn't define anything.

IRL, I can tell amongst young people because of their dress sense as lame as it sounds.

Ack its either superficial or stereotype.

warlock110

Post by warlock110 » Sep 24th, '06, 21:57

there someone on this forum in the topic "i want a korean bf" saying he can instantly know what race a person is because everyone is different. i want to see him try this test.

kotaeshiranaihito

Post by kotaeshiranaihito » Sep 25th, '06, 01:11

warlock110 wrote:there someone on this forum in the topic "i want a korean bf" saying he can instantly know what race a person is because everyone is different. i want to see him try this test.
you should ignore people like that. In the real world people who are too idealistic and liberal are as bad as people who are bigotted, because usually they are so against bigotry, they end up persecuting those who don't see exactly eye to eye with them. What they say and do is equivalent to what senator McCarthy did years ago. "If you're not completely and utterly against communism and you don't despise communism with all your heart, then you yourself are a communist". Don't waste your energy on them, and more importantly don't take many of the things people here say seriously. People who come here try to make an idealistic person out of themselves, but I promise you, they are not like that in real life. I know this because they are human, all humans have their own beliefs and prejudices in the real world, and when faced with a real life situation will sometimes act in the exact opposite way that they described they would here. Take everything said here with a grain of salt.

berserk

Post by berserk » Sep 25th, '06, 01:21

Scored a 10. I'm not Korean but I identified all the Koreans correctly for some reason.

x_XJules
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by x_XJules » Sep 25th, '06, 01:26

kotaeshiranaihito although what you said is pretty much true i don't think warlock110 meant it so seriously. your advice is basically common sense but i guess it's good to remind people from time to time.

anyway back on topic i got a 7. that was actually pretty hard. haha, i totally agree with whoever said they picked people who don't follow the typical look of each race. not that i'm an expert on that either. :lol

PopGilligan

Post by PopGilligan » Sep 25th, '06, 01:52

I got 11. But, I don't really think I'm good at telling asians apart...I think I'm a good guesser!

It would be interesting, though, if the same guy put out other tests for different races. Like, telling the German from the Swede, etc. etc.

Rikayla

Post by Rikayla » Sep 25th, '06, 04:22

:D

I rock. It was kind of hard, but yeah, KOREANS USUALLY HAVE SMALLER EYES. Usually. And Chinese people usually have bigger eyes. And Japanese fit into everything in between.

Usually.

Baek

T_T

Post by Baek » Sep 26th, '06, 13:27

I am Korean but i got all wrong to find korean.

theresalynne

Post by theresalynne » Sep 26th, '06, 14:11

I scored above the average at least. Heh heh. Well, I'm not asian and I don't live around many who are so that's my excuse and I'm stickin' to it. Haha.

jashinee

Post by jashinee » Sep 28th, '06, 02:20

NINEEEEEEEEEEEEEeee
i am OK. :]
one more and i'll get 10 >[

but that was so weird XD;
i couldnt help thinking "koreans are pretty koreans are pretty"
(i'm chinese, btw) :x

atxtomtom

Post by atxtomtom » Sep 28th, '06, 02:38

7 for me.. i just brought shame to my family.. haha

taintedangel144

Post by taintedangel144 » Sep 28th, '06, 02:57

wow, i got 7 right. a little bit more than average xD

slider5

Post by slider5 » Sep 28th, '06, 13:18

I dont see what this proves, its like saying can you tell europeans apart. Whats the difference between a german, french, or english its almost impossible to tell just by looking. Although there are certain distinctive features and traits generally its hard to tell. Just like africans can you tell the difference between a nigerian, zimbabwian or gambian.

Point being we are not the only ones..

kotaeshiranaihito

Post by kotaeshiranaihito » Sep 28th, '06, 13:54

slider5 wrote:I dont see what this proves, its like saying can you tell europeans apart. Whats the difference between a german, french, or english its almost impossible to tell just by looking. Although there are certain distinctive features and traits generally its hard to tell. Just like africans can you tell the difference between a nigerian, zimbabwian or gambian.

It's not supposed to prove anything, it's just for fun chill out.

homeboi19

Post by homeboi19 » Sep 28th, '06, 20:15

I got 7 :whistling:

man, I'm Asian and before I took this test I was confident in recognizing the differences between asian but I think I just lost it :scratch:

kameleon

Post by kameleon » Sep 28th, '06, 20:37

I got 5. I usually can recognize at least if a girl is korean, chinese or japanese in the real life...
But in that test my score was hardly better with girls than with boys, I feel disappointed :((

kotaeshiranaihito

Post by kotaeshiranaihito » Sep 28th, '06, 20:45

Lol looks like the majority is between 5 and 9. Aren't we glad we're not getting graded for this.

ChristinePak

Post by ChristinePak » Sep 28th, '06, 20:49

I always thought I could tell them apart, but according to this test I cant...

kotaeshiranaihito

Post by kotaeshiranaihito » Sep 28th, '06, 20:51

ChristinePak wrote:I always thought I could tell them apart, but according to this test I cant...
According to the test A LOT of people can't, so don't feel too down.

groink

Post by groink » Sep 28th, '06, 20:53

slider5 wrote:I dont see what this proves, its like saying can you tell europeans apart. Whats the difference between a german, french, or english its almost impossible to tell just by looking. Although there are certain distinctive features and traits generally its hard to tell. Just like africans can you tell the difference between a nigerian, zimbabwian or gambian.

The only point for this web site is to disprove the myth that "All Asians look alike." The creator of the web site even mentions this. The test is not meant to see who can tell the difference. The low scores prove that it is indeed a myth. That's all. So don't take the test seriously or as an insult.

--- groink

atxtomtom

Post by atxtomtom » Sep 28th, '06, 21:26

ChristinePak wrote:I always thought I could tell them apart, but according to this test I cant...
you're not special

Icalcan

Post by Icalcan » Sep 28th, '06, 21:29

I could've gotten 11 but my fingers and mouse were lazy and mispointed at the wrong choices, so I got 9. I am not Asian but my g-g-parents came from Central Asia. :wub: :mrgreen:

Deedlith

Post by Deedlith » Sep 28th, '06, 21:31

My i totally sucked. I 've begun got everything good but after a while i messed almost everything. Got 8 in the end. Still it's better than average. Was really difficult in the end.
Mmm... But still i'm actually learning Korean in College and we're taking classes next to those learning Japanese, Chinese and Vietnamese, so i see them almost everyday and i can tell them apart. He certainly chose the few guys in the country you can't tell apart. Too bad. As for distinguishing European guys how can you you tell? unlike asian people, europeans have been mixed long time ago, there is french, english, german blood in every white european coming from Belgium, suisse, or whatever, as there is also Arabian blood in italians and spanish people. It's totally different from asians who have stayed isolated for a long time.

atxtomtom

Post by atxtomtom » Sep 28th, '06, 21:45

Deedlith wrote:unlike asian people, europeans have been mixed long time ago, there is french, english, german blood in every white european coming from Belgium, suisse, or whatever, as there is also Arabian blood in italians and spanish people. It's totally different from asians who have stayed isolated for a long time.
in other words, white people are mutts..

Spectr0

Post by Spectr0 » Sep 28th, '06, 23:42

I got 3, I suck.

skachild

Post by skachild » Sep 29th, '06, 10:57

damn....!!! how can you tell the different... :goggle: :goggle: :goggle:
bad result....!!! :cry: :cry:

Icalcan

Post by Icalcan » Sep 29th, '06, 14:09

skachild wrote:damn....!!! how can you tell the different... :goggle: :goggle: :goggle:
bad result....!!! :cry: :cry:
This means that we are gonna watch people :unsure: :glare: :scratch: more closely from now on, or we will suck (as Spectr0 said) all the time. :mrgreen: :x :wub:

kaasbris

Post by kaasbris » Nov 1st, '06, 05:44

I got 8 :scratch:
I don't mind nationality, just welcome beauties all over the world! :mrgreen:

sveta

Post by sveta » Nov 1st, '06, 11:34

Err i got 9. I don't know if its a good thing. I guessed on most of them.

auroragb

Post by auroragb » Nov 4th, '06, 03:59

I can teru Asians apart with my bare hands! :P

darkchrno

Post by darkchrno » Nov 4th, '06, 10:11

HTTP 404 page not found :P but i voted for the highest score because i have the feeling i'll get it anyway :P :P :P :whistling:

teamonger

Post by teamonger » Nov 4th, '06, 17:57

Darkchrno: Try going to http://www.alllooksame.com/ and doing a simple registration.

Wow, that was really difficult! I'm Asian and I only scored a 7 out of 20. I even "cheated" by guessing according to the accessories/hair styles for some of them.

Takekaze

Post by Takekaze » Nov 4th, '06, 18:06

Considering the Japanese originally come from the Asian mainland, Asians are mutts too. The Ainu came from the mainland, and the modern Japanese later, too. Not to mention that, with the Khans, there was a major exchange of many things, including DNA, with the west (the claim of "long isolation" of Asia is easily contradicted by actual history, just two examples: Ghengis Khan and the great Chinese fleets setting out even to Africa for trade).

Heck, they all come from Africa anyway, just like the Europeans, so this is somewhat pointless (and somewhat racist) anyway.

We could make a test "can you keep British and Russians apart" I doubt anyone really could, especially when considering that there weren't really many DNA exchanges between Russia and the British Islands. Or how's about native Americans and Asians? Considering how Asian many native Americans look even today, good luck.

Most hits are lucky guesses anyway

faerielandx3

Post by faerielandx3 » Nov 5th, '06, 18:48

hehehee i scored a 6 haahahhaa <3

Mrs-Nishikado

Post by Mrs-Nishikado » Jan 1st, '08, 21:55

i got 8,and im black!!!
lol

K-CT

Post by K-CT » Jan 1st, '08, 23:39

I got 7! meh!
I thought i could tell asians apart.
lol my excuse is i havent seen enough koreans

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Jan 2nd, '08, 12:45

All Asians look the same

:)

Hanazawa Rui

Post by Hanazawa Rui » Jan 3rd, '08, 12:34

the link doesn't work *sobz*

Edit ; it works

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Jan 3rd, '08, 13:49

I fail to see how making a test in which everybody scores low and concludes that Asians are impossible to tell apart is going to disprove the "all Asians look the same" myth. :scratch:

Anyway, I live in Korea, and Japanese people are very easy to pick out. They tend to have much larger eyes and softer faces, as somebody mentioned, and the hair and fashion styles are drastically different. They also tend to be a lot shorter than Koreans, and the men tend to be skinnier. However, it is a LOT harder when Chinese people come into play - there are so many people and different ethnicities there, not to mention the distinct differences between Northern and Southern Chinese. Northern Chinese look very similar to Koreans, for example.

radee14

Post by radee14 » Jan 4th, '08, 13:21

damn! i failed....Gosh i cant tell the difference between the three races...most specially korean, japanese & chinese... i can identiy whose the japanese..but its difficult to differenciate korean & chinese unless i heard their accent...oh well, those 3 countries are cousins...that's why they really look the same...

i got 7..very bad...

maruchan_192000

Post by maruchan_192000 » Jan 6th, '08, 04:58

I got 9, at least its higher than the average right?