"I want a korean boyfriend"

Anhyong haseyo. Post Korean related stuff here.
20centuryboy

Re: Hey

Post by 20centuryboy » Sep 15th, '06, 07:25

Dee_Chan^.^ wrote:I love though how asian couples match clothing and even hairstyles or colour..they look so coordinated..
like little robots. It allways scares me when I see some perfect matching couples in the street, the ones that wear the same clothes etc... It's like each has lost his personnality.

And wanting to be with a personn from this or that nationality is another strange thing to me too. Ain't you supposed to fall in love with someone special for his personality? Not for anybody from a certain country. Maybe it's start to sell people at the supermarket so you can choose your favourite brand of boyfriend or girlfriend. :glare:
"bargain on the Korean boyfriends for 1 week", "get 10%off on the japanese girlfriend with this coupon" etc... :crazy:

hmmm, or maybe I'm too old fashioned...

Dee_Chan^.^

Post by Dee_Chan^.^ » Sep 15th, '06, 07:38

And wanting to be with a personn from this or that nationality is another strange thing to me too. Ain't you supposed to fall in love with someone special for his personality?
Okay I get what you mean but the new generation of asians are beginning to move away from their parents desires...Cause i think the parents of this generation are like maybe one of the last full tradiitonals....Its hard to understand or maybe you do understand the strict traditions and pride some asian parents have..and the whole thing about keeping a family name and reputation..lol..i know for sure that I don't go out looking for bf material based on race.

But when i see Asian couples in the city with their matching clothes and stuff..i find it cute..maybe because i do that ..so yeh..hahah...Im asian by the way, but My Grand father is French hence my last name Villaret

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Sep 15th, '06, 13:04

marvelous wrote:[ It's way below 1% in Korea... ...
You are plain wrong.

Taken from Lonely Planet Korea, page 37:

"International marriages are increasing and in 2002, 5% of Korean weddings involved foreigners. Over 7000 Korean men chose a Chinese bride, while 959 slipped a ring on a Japanese finger and 859 married Filipinas. On the other hand 2377 Korean females married their Japanese sweethearts, 1200 said 'I do' to Americans, and 272 walked down the aisle with a Chinese groom."

You do know the difference between 1% and 5%, don't you?

Taken from the same page:

"Marriage is changing and the traditional pattern of arranged marriages is disappearing fast; divorce is on the increase. Over 40% of University graduates are female and the balance of power between the genders are shifting.

In the future, not all young Korean men will be able to marry Korean brides, as South Korea is facing a shortage of marriageable women. In 2002, 109 boys were born for every 100 girls, and by the year 2010 it is estimated that there will be 128 Korean men at 'peak marriageable age' (27 to 30 years old) for every 100 single eligible women (24 to 27 years). And those numbers get worse every year."

Quoted word-by-word from the best and most accurate travel guide in existence.

Despite claiming to be Korean, your view of your own coutnry seems to be distorted at best - you are quite hopelessly lost in your imaginative world. If nothing else, acknowledge the percentage of 5 (five, you see, FIVE!) as a minority, but an increasingly important one.

The truth is, Koreans are 'outmarrying' - not as much as other nations, perhaps, but increasingly more every year just the same. There's the proof right there for you, as quoted above. If you still don't understand, I will have to stop responding to you, because if facts don't convince you, nothing will. As sad as it is.

ChristinePak

Marriage

Post by ChristinePak » Sep 15th, '06, 13:20

My parents are different nationalities~~ my mom korean and dad american

at first my mom's family was against it, and wouldn't allow it but my parents got married anyway and now they are fine with it... and come to the US all the time~

so i think the newer generation is doing it more and more~

by the way KOREAN GUYS ARE GREAT BFs :wub:

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Re: Marriage

Post by Néa Vanille » Sep 15th, '06, 13:23

ChristinePak wrote:My parents are different nationalities~~ my mom korean and dad american

at first my mom's family was against it, and wouldn't allow it but my parents got married anyway and now they are fine with it... and come to the US all the time~

So are you suicidal because nobody accepts you, as marvelous would like us all to believe?

kotaeshiranaihito

Post by kotaeshiranaihito » Sep 15th, '06, 14:22

marvelous wrote:
Blood type B is kind of out there... Back stabbing material...

TYPE A shy, reserved, quiet

Type O outgoing, outspoken..

Blood type does play a role of how you interact with people...
There has been absolutely no proof of those things whatsoever, it's all nothing more than astrology. Just like the belief that Libras (me) get along with Geminis (a girl who I couldn't stand, and probably vice versa).

There has been some studies that say that blood containing antogens does increase the amount MAO that is exhibitted and MAO has been known to cause violent behavior in people, but that case is similar to any blood that contain antogens (blood type A, B or AB would all fall into that category).

It's nothing more than a pop trend, if there truly was some science behind it, then they would definitely mention something about the RH factor in blood types (the negative and positive that goes along with the A, B, AB, and O). The reason RH factor isn't even looked at is because so few asians have a negative RH factor that there would be no point in introducing such a thing to the pop trend.

Personality is determined by genetics and upbringing, not by blood type.

mt877

Post by mt877 » Sep 15th, '06, 14:53

20centuryboy wrote:Maybe it's start to sell people at the supermarket so you can choose your favourite brand of boyfriend or girlfriend. :glare:
"bargain on the Korean boyfriends for 1 week", "get 10%off on the japanese girlfriend with this coupon" etc... :crazy:
Sounds like a great idea to auction someone off here at DA... any volunteers? (No not me, I'm middle aged and not Korean.)
All profits go toward paying for the new server Ruroshin just got. :lol

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Sep 15th, '06, 15:18

20centuryboy wrote:
Dee_Chan^.^ wrote:I love though how asian couples match clothing and even hairstyles or colour..they look so coordinated..
like little robots. It allways scares me when I see some perfect matching couples in the street, the ones that wear the same clothes etc... It's like each has lost his personnality.
I agree with you 100%.

In Korea, it is very common for young couples to wear the same clothes, and I've even seen quite a few where the boy wore a "That's my girlfriend!" shirt with an arrow pointing to the girl to his side and the girl wearing "That's my boyfriend!" shirt. Duh! I would never have guessed.

It frequently freaks me out, too. Something's wrong when you reduce your whole identity to being "half of a couple."

That's something I'd never want to do with my boyfriend, personally. I'm me and he is he, and that's how it's supposed to be.

ChristinePak

Re: Marriage

Post by ChristinePak » Sep 15th, '06, 16:34

Néa Vanille wrote:
ChristinePak wrote:My parents are different nationalities~~ my mom korean and dad american

So are you suicidal because nobody accepts you, as marvelous would like us all to believe?
I didn't say nobody accepted me (my family was against my parents getting married at first, but they never didn't accept me)... I don't have a problem at all with being multiracial!
Last edited by ChristinePak on Sep 15th, '06, 17:10, edited 1 time in total.

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by aNToK » Sep 15th, '06, 17:00

Néa Vanille wrote:
In Korea, it is very common for young couples to wear the same clothes, and I've even seen quite a few where the boy wore a "That's my girlfriend!" shirt with an arrow pointing to the girl to his side and the girl wearing "That's my boyfriend!" shirt. Duh! I would never have guessed.

It frequently freaks me out, too. Something's wrong when you reduce your whole identity to being "half of a couple."
Be funny if they switched sides and the arrows were pointed out instead of in...

Frankly, I see the whole blood-type thing on about the same or a slightly lower level as astrology or any number of "predictors", etc. They're a fun little trivia thing to play with, but anyone who uses them to actually influence their decisions about dating or relating to people is, to me, misguided at best.
At worst, it's simply another form of prejudice. Prejudice as in "To prejudge". Race, sex, nationality, religion, etc. are things people are all too happy to use to put up barriers between people. Now we're talking blood type. Can't wait to see what other things we come up with later.

Pretty soon, we'll have science and Feng Shui combine forces to determine whether the fertilizing sperm entered the egg from the top, bottom, N-S-E-W, and which direction the mother was facing at the exact moment of egg penetration to help us determine what we'll be like and what our future will hold. Throw in the zodiacs, blood type, and a few other incidentals, and we'll have a total picture and road map for your life all printed up for you (in .pdf format for compatibility, of course....) for only $99.95US!!!!!!!

I can hardly wait....

warlock110

Post by warlock110 » Sep 15th, '06, 17:21

do you know why some of us here are pounding on this topic?
1) it's a load of bull, unlogical, unintelligent, unreasonable ect...
2) it's offensive, this is just a different form of racism
3) it's probably one of the sutpidest thing u can say to another person. u hang out at a party and just say the tittle of this topic, all the guys won't even talk to u.

it's ok to enjoy korean drama, actualy thinking it's reali life is another thing, that's just sick.

PS: ya, korean guys are real nice on TV, ever see them in real life? i'm not grouping them all together and say this, but i know some korean guys that have done some terrible things. i'm sure there are nice korean guys out there just like in any race, but to say "I want a korean BF" because u only saw them on TV is rediculous.

that's like saying "I want a pikachu for my pet". do u see the resemblece of those 2 statement?

tresarai

Post by tresarai » Sep 15th, '06, 17:37

Let me be more precise..- I want Lee Jun Ki Shii... Lee Dong Wook shii will also do! ;-) hahahha...

kotaeshiranaihito

Post by kotaeshiranaihito » Sep 15th, '06, 18:08

warlock110 wrote:do you know why some of us here are pounding on this topic?
3) it's probably one of the sutpidest thing u can say to another person. u hang out at a party and just say the tittle of this topic, all the guys won't even talk to u.

it's ok to enjoy korean drama, actualy thinking it's reali life is another thing, that's just sick.

PS: ya, korean guys are real nice on TV, ever see them in real life? i'm not grouping them all together and say this, but i know some korean guys that have done some terrible things. i'm sure there are nice korean guys out there just like in any race, but to say "I want a korean BF" because u only saw them on TV is rediculous.

that's like saying "I want a pikachu for my pet". do u see the resemblece of those 2 statement?
Dude, calm down. Why do you care if some d-addicts girls want to date a korean guy? Chances are you'll never date them or meet them in real life, don't take it so seriously-and to be honest, you're better off not dating them.

benebula98

International Students

Post by benebula98 » Sep 15th, '06, 19:03

I work as the assistant manager of a student housing apartment complex near a major university. We have A LOT of international students and quite a lot of them are Korean. I sit at my desk and get treated to eye candy all day long. I live on site and get a really good discount on my rent. Maybe I should get an I want a korean boyfriend t-shirt and start innocently wearing it at home but outside of work. See what happens? ^_^

*BEN*

groink

Post by groink » Sep 15th, '06, 19:19

Or how about this t-shirt idea: On the front, it'll say "I watch Korean dramas, and from it subscribe to the idea that, against any other form of logic, all Korean men are beautiful and basically the cat's pajamas. Therefore, a Korean man is the ideal one for me." And then on the back: "Aza Aza Fighting!"

I mean, if you're going to send a message out to the world, you might as well let it all out!

--- groink

smxo3o2

Post by smxo3o2 » Sep 15th, '06, 19:26

Hey, more power to you if want a korean BF. LoL! There's not enough of that kinda couple as there are the other way around. I support ya. :D

Funny how people with shirts saying I want a Japanese Girlfriend or something similiar never got blasted.

But when the tide turns the girls here get blasted. What a joke. A Buncha haters and jealous folks here. Keep doing what you doing girl.. :D

kotaeshiranaihito

Post by kotaeshiranaihito » Sep 15th, '06, 19:44

smxo3o2 wrote:Hey, more power to you if want a korean BF. LoL! There's not enough of that kinda couple. I support ya. :D

Funny how people with shirts saying I want a Japanese Girlfriend or something similiar never got blasted.

But when the tide turns the girls here get blasted. Buncha jealous folks. Keep doing what you doing girl.. :D
What do you mean blasted? It's just one guy.

Anyway, you'd be surprised at how many white girls got pissed off when white men started dating asian girls. A LOT (surprisingly, many more than asian guys who were pissed of).

SimplyJane

Post by SimplyJane » Sep 15th, '06, 20:09

:-) I couldn't care who dates whom based on race ^_^ just as long they're happy...(BLAH BLAH SOME OF THEM WILL GO THRU HARDSHIPS AND SOME OF THEM WONT WORK OUT, BUT HEY, THERE ARE ACTUAL COUPLES OUT THERE)

by the way lol i think that the idea "I want a Korean bf" shirt it's cute lol..I had even thought of it myself, but of course I stopped to think what if I end up insulting a korean??
HOWEVER I ALWAYS LIKE TO THINK A BIT OFA POSITIVE WAY/BE A BIT OF OPTIMISTC..SO IM LIKE IT SHOULDNT BE AN INSULT...I THINK ITS LIKE A COMPLIMENT, DONT YA'LL THINK? :scratch: FOR ME , I INTERPRET THIS (SHIRT) AS I LIKE THE PERSONALITY, VALUES, MORALS, THINKING, ETC OF A KOREAN ....THAT'S HOW I SEE THAT IT'S A COMPLIMENT...THAT U FIND THEM ATTRACTIVE....ETC....HOPEFULLY I EXPLAINED WHAT I MEAN AS A COMPLIMENT LOL... :lol

PLUS IT'S NOT LIKE U'RE DISCRIMINATING B/C OF A SHIRT...IT DOESNT ONLY MEAN THAT U ONLY WANT TO DATE KOREANS....I MEAN WE CANT JUST ASSUME THAT...I THINK IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE INDIVIDUAL ^_^...FOR ME I WOULD LIKE TO DATE A KOREAN BUT IT DOESNT MEAN I WONT DATE INDIVIDUALS OF MY OWN RACE/ETHNICITY....

SOMEONE MENTION LEE JUN KI :wub: :lol

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Sep 15th, '06, 21:01

kotaeshiranaihito wrote: Anyway, you'd be surprised at how many white girls got pissed off when white men started dating asian girls. A LOT (surprisingly, many more than asian guys who were pissed of).
I seriously, seriously, seriously doubt that.

That is probably true for white women living in Asia (those who are primarily interested in dating men of their own race), but it isn't true for women living in the West, especially the United States. White women, due to Hollywood presence all over the globe, enjoy at least some popularity with men from all other races - in other words, for a half-decent looking white woman, who has always been told that she is desirable through media, won't have troubles resorting to black or Hispanic men - not to mention that there are millions of white men in Europe or Argentina (yes, Argentines are white) who generally don't date Asian women that much due to lack of contact.

The situation for Asian men is different, for they tend to have less confidence in the dating field than white women have. Underrepresented in the media and more conservative by culture, they have more troubles finding a spouse than men with more outgoing, daring cultures. I love and admire Asian men a lot, but I do know that they are generally not the most aggressive men - a trait that, even after thousands of years of evolution, still seems to work best in the dating game.

Given these circumstances, and given the fact that a few thousand white men dating Asian women doesn't critically hurt the available pool of white men (because of their sheer number in the West!), but a few thousand Asian women outmarrying has the potential to affect the Asian community, I find the possibility of an Asian man finding himself single much likelier than a white woman finding herself single - though of course the situation would be quite different when actually living in Asia.

In the United States, there are more single Asian men (in %) than there are single white women. (in %)

Add to that the fact that it is that men tend to be more jealous than females (because men need to make sure the offspring will be theirs), I am pretty sure that what you said is wrong.

Edit: I hope no Asian man on this forum take offense in what I wrote. I consider their reaction to be understandable given the factors I've mentioned above. Any given group of people would react with similar jealousy if in the same situation - there are, after all, thousands of bitter white women in Japan who aren't getting approached much. It's just that I have personally never seen any anti-WM/AF sites online owned by women on the internet and my reasons above tell me I am not likely to see any in the future, either.
Last edited by Néa Vanille on Sep 15th, '06, 21:12, edited 1 time in total.

kotaeshiranaihito

Post by kotaeshiranaihito » Sep 15th, '06, 21:10

Néa Vanille wrote:
kotaeshiranaihito wrote: Anyway, you'd be surprised at how many white girls got pissed off when white men started dating asian girls. A LOT (surprisingly, many more than asian guys who were pissed of).

That is probably true for white women living in Asia (those who are primarily interested in dating men of their own race), but it isn't true for women living in the West, especially the United States. White women, due to Hollywood presence all over the globe, enjoy at least some popularity with men from all other races - in other words, for a half-decent looking white woman, who has always been told that she is desirable through media, won't have troubles resorting to black or Hispanic men - not to mention that there are millions of white men in Europe or Argentina (yes, Argentines are white) who generally don't date Asian women that much due to lack of contact.

Add to that the fact that it is that men tend to be more jealous than females (because men need to make sure the offspring will be theirs), I am pretty sure that what you said is wrong.

I thought the exact same thing. It's probably just NYC.

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by lilswtangel » Sep 15th, '06, 21:18

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this topic really caught my eyes, I don't know how I missed this, except for the fact that I've been MIA lately.

hmms, I used to say this all the time, too.........but now that I actually have a Korean boyfriend, nothing much has changed. The world is still round, I still have my own personal issues, and I'm busy as ever.

Actually, if anything, life has been a bit more hectic with the Korean boyfriend, although I'd probably never admit that to him considering he's not to blame. I'm Chinese American, and wells, I thought nothing really of going out with a Korean American.........afterall we're both Americans, you know? Plus, I've always thought Korean food and Chinese food have many similarities, if not totally alike.

The problem lies within our families. There are a lot of traditional and cultural differences between our families and the biggest problem is the language barrier. In fact, my father has this saying in Chinese, that we speak chicken language and my boyfriend's family speak duck language, which virtually means we look alike but nonetheless we're in actuality not alike at all.

At first, dinners at his house were very uncomfortable for me because I felt as though his parents went out on their way to force themselves to speak primarily in English (although very fluent but still, Korean is their first language). Dinners at my place weren't better, since my parents' English isn't anywhere near as fluent as my boyfriend's parents.

Anyways, long story short........you have to remember that when you date someone longterm, his/her family is part of the package. It's been 7 months since we've been together (although, I've known him for a little over 8 years now), and I'm still working on pleasing his parents. D-Addicts have saved me plenty of times. With all the kdramas I have, I've picked up a little understanding of the Korean language & culture here and there.

On the bright side, if we do end up getting married with kids, they'll be multi-lingual! Linguists are very in nowadays, right? :lol

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Sep 15th, '06, 21:35

kotaeshiranaihito wrote: I thought the exact same thing. It's probably just NYC.
I think the fact that many white women are bitter at Asian women for being thinner and smaller might have something to do with your experience. I still don't think that their bitterness outweighs the one of Asian men who face more direct results, but I have witnessed this phenomenon a few times in Asia.

Myself, I'm not especially envious of Korean girls, though a lot of them are doubtlessly very beautiful. I'm not overweight, but I am bigger than many Korean girls, especially in the bust and hip area - yet I'm not bothered by it. I just happen to think I look fine in my way and they look fine in theirs - plus, "competition" is not the first word that comes to my mind when looking at another woman. However, many fellow Western women I knew really seem to feel threatened by the fact that many Korean women can wear clothes a size or two smaller than them, not realising that there is (or there should be) more than one definition of beauty.

@lilswtangel: good post! Best of luck to you two! :lol

MinaPi

Post by MinaPi » Sep 15th, '06, 21:55

GUYS WHO CARES ABOUT WHATS GONNA BE IN THE FUTURE I MEAN WHO CARES IF YOUR BF IS KOREAN AND YOUR EUROPEAN! OUR FUTURE WILL CHANGE!

PS: DONT WATCH TO MANY KOREAN DRAMAS! YOULL CHANGE YOUR MIND

kotaeshiranaihito

Post by kotaeshiranaihito » Sep 15th, '06, 21:57

Néa Vanille wrote:
kotaeshiranaihito wrote: I thought the exact same thing. It's probably just NYC.
I think the fact that many white women are bitter at Asian women for being thinner and smaller might have something to do with your experience. I still don't think that their bitterness outweighs the one of Asian men who face more direct results, but I have witnessed this phenomenon a few times in Asia.

Myself, I'm not especially envious of Korean girls, though a lot of them are doubtlessly very beautiful. I'm not overweight, but I am bigger than many Korean girls, especially in the bust and hip area - yet I'm not bothered by it. I just happen to think I look fine in my way and they look fine in theirs - plus, "competition" is not the first word that comes to my mind when looking at another woman. However, many fellow Western women I knew really seem to feel threatened by the fact that many Korean women can wear clothes a size or two smaller than them, not realising that there is (or there should be) more than one definition of beauty.

I already knew it had nothing to do with them losing men in their dating pool, because they honestly didn't really lose that many imo. Who knows what goes on in their heads. If they spent half as much enery on finding someone as they do complaining about other people finding someone they'd have 100 guys each by now.

@warlock: take a lesson from them. don't get pissed off too much or you'll end up like them.

risjenny

Post by risjenny » Sep 15th, '06, 22:07

kmvaddicts wrote:Love reading this topic because eventhough it appears that the it's a little extreme, but it's true. Koreans rarely marry outside their race and they have a very traditionalist view on marriage.

Korean guys are like a very expensive piece of art. You fancy it, you dream about it, you drool at it, you wanted so bad to reach out and touch it, own it, be a slave to it, but it's not within your reach. You can afford it sometimes but you can't have it. :)

My roomate in college is European (Swedish) and she went out with this gorgeous Korean hunk. They dated for about 2 years and we all truly believe that they are a match made in heaven. In the end, this Korean guy broke it off not because he does't love her anymore, but because she does not fit into his traditional Korean family. My Swedish roomie felt so betrayed and I have always wanted to meet the guy again and give him a slap on the face!

Kang...wherever you are, if I ever see you again..... :cussing:
hollaaa...

i have heard many stories regarding that Koreans only marry their own kinds...about how their family disagree their children to date a non korean girl/guy....BUT it is not only in Korea it is like that...its like that for other asians as well.....for real...iam born and raised in Sweden but my parents are from Hong Kong... all the asians thinks the same more or less... my parens are really conservative..they dont care who you date, just as long as in the end you get married to a chinese guy...they prefer me to choose a chinese guy because relationships are already hard itself..with no culture or language barrier it is more simplier..you have a mutual understanding ...thats their point of view...
....Swedish people are open and friendly as they are.. to compare them to chinese people or other foreigners in the country, their way for thinking is different ex( ):
When teenagers reaches their 18th birthday or they graduate high school, parents ship their children off from home to live by themselves...they even rather pay the rent for their childrens apartment than let them stay...(maybe they want to teach their children independence)
Chinese people are more conservative...we stick together and live together as a big family until you get married and then move out...we take care of each other and the elder ones as well..
Iam not saying all the swedish people think like this, it is more a comparision of how different we think...
...For you Kmvaddict...
after reading your story about your roomie ex korean bf...
...if you love someone .. No matter how much your famliy pressure you..you stand firm on what you believe in...to back out like that just show how a great man he was... for gods sake its is the 21st century..just to please your family, a man choose to walk away from love...if his famliy really loves him and care for him..they will tolerate and accept and respect him for choosing a non korean gf.....of course there will be some arguements as first but as time goes on...the parents will accept it..
peace all

benebula98

statistics?

Post by benebula98 » Sep 15th, '06, 22:31

Please don't flame, please don't flame, please don't flame!

I live in the US and there are some stereotypes that float around but can also be backed up by statistics. One being that white men like Asian women and black men like white women. Not exclusively or anything, but its something someone observing may notice. At the same time, one might notice that black women and Asian men or more likely to stay with their own race. I am sure there are a ton of reasons why. They are exotic, different than what they were raised around, different physical attributes such as bigger or smaller, etc. I think in the US white people are a lot more free to date whomever they like. I live in Tucson and here it is prolly 50/50 white and Mexican and there is so so so much mixing. I was raised in an extremely liberal white household as a 3rd generation American with European roots. My parents would be happy with anyone I brought home. Its weird to me that in 2006 these things still matter, but I have to remember that the US is very different culturally than other places.

I am a firm believer in to each their own.

*BEN*

SimplyJane

Post by SimplyJane » Sep 15th, '06, 22:52

:D IN MY CASE I DONT THINK I'LL HAVE A PROBLEM WITH MY FAMILY IF I WERE TO DATE AN ASIAN ^_^...MY PARENTS KNOW THAT I LIKE WATCHING ASIAN MOVIES AND DRAMAS....LISTENING TO A BIT OF KROCK.....PLUS MY YOUNGER SISTER IS INTO THEM TOO...AND THEY'VE HEARD US MENTION ABOUT WANTING TO HAVE AN ASIAN BF...THEY'LL BE PLEASED TO SEE THEIR DAUGHTERS HAPPY ... :-)

warlock110

Post by warlock110 » Sep 16th, '06, 01:14

kotaeshiranaihito wrote:

Dude, calm down. Why do you care if some d-addicts girls want to date a korean guy? Chances are you'll never date them or meet them in real life, don't take it so seriously-and to be honest, you're better off not dating them.
i'm pretty calm, just my words is a bit stiff cuzz it's not my native language, it might sound like a crazy dude pounding on someone sometimes lol... but most of it is true.

Dee_Chan^.^

Wow!

Post by Dee_Chan^.^ » Sep 16th, '06, 01:45

Myself, I'm not especially envious of Korean girls, though a lot of them are doubtlessly very beautiful. I'm not overweight, but I am bigger than many Korean girls, especially in the bust and hip area - yet I'm not bothered by it. I just happen to think I look fine in my way and they look fine in theirs - plus, "competition" is not the first word that comes to my mind when looking at another woman.
my parens are really conservative..they dont care who you date, just as long as in the end you get married to a chinese guy...they prefer me to choose a chinese guy because relationships are already hard itself..with no culture or language barrier it is more simplier..you have a mutual understanding ...thats their point of view...
Omg this topic got heated while i was away..hahahha i swear i was of like for 5 ours or something..lol :crazy: But to Nea Vanille i think the beautiful hot and skinny Korean girls u see in Kdramas are totally not the image of real Korean women who in majority are so nice, sweet, and love FOOD! I know most of my korean friends are not the stars you see in dramas, so yeh there is hope because its just like Hollywood..who represent the 'beautiful'people of the western world.

I think c'mon there is a huge chance really big chance for any type of couple to be succesful, and FIGHTING to caucasian and asian couples, they look so cute when you walk around in the city...In Australia there is alot of caucasian and asian couples because in University especially if you go to UTS the majority of students are asian..lol..not to be discriminatory or anything..hope no one gets offended..its just every1 know here in Sydney that the biggest aniume and asian Univeristy community is in UTS and USYD..okay i went off topic.

Okay I have to full support the whole asian parents are conservative..cos i know god damn that my parents are..not just in regards to education or 'respect' i hate the whole family hierachy thing..being the youngest can kinda suck..but also be a good thing... But yeh there is alot of pressure by parents who want their kids to marry into their own culture..I think they will think it wil be easier on the mariage on something..cos like you can speak same language hence you kids and their grandchildren will to..and eat the same food..whatever..i know that i wont be marrying a filipino or japanese..lol :lol

shoujo22

Post by shoujo22 » Sep 16th, '06, 02:23

warlock110 wrote:cuzz they watch k-drama all the time and think all korean guys looks like the ones on screen. and also they get hit with the fashion of korean on screen. it's all about facinasion. the freaking truth is all asian looks identical, and all white looks the same, all black look the same, it's generic, there's tiny bit difference here n there but over all shouldn't be a huge difference when u're the same race.
Erm. I don't totally agree with the "they all look alike" bit. It is very true that people of the same race share SEVERAL similarities (obviously :P). But to say that they all look alike...hmmmm. I don't know about that :scratch:.

That was a nice try though.

marvelous
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by marvelous » Sep 16th, '06, 02:48

Néa Vanille wrote:

The situation for Asian men is different, for they tend to have less confidence in the dating field than white women have. Underrepresented in the media and more conservative by culture, they have more troubles finding a spouse than men with more outgoing, daring cultures. I love and admire Asian men a lot, but I do know that they are generally not the most aggressive men - a trait that, even after thousands of years of evolution, still seems to work best in the dating game.

Given these circumstances, and given the fact that a few thousand white men dating Asian women doesn't critically hurt the available pool of white men (because of their sheer number in the West!), but a few thousand Asian women outmarrying has the potential to affect the Asian community, I find the possibility of an Asian man finding himself single much likelier than a white woman finding herself single - though of course the situation would be quite different when actually living in Asia.

In the United States, there are more single Asian men (in %) than there are single white women. (in %)

Edit: I hope no Asian man on this forum take offense in what I wrote. I consider their reaction to be understandable given the factors I've mentioned above. Any given group of people would react with similar jealousy if in the same situation - there are, after all, thousands of bitter white women in Japan who aren't getting approached much. It's just that I have personally never seen any anti-WM/AF sites online owned by women on the internet and my reasons above tell me I am not likely to see any in the future, either.
You sound like every other white person when dealing with social or political view... Always formulate statistics because that's all you know how to generalize to form an answer...

marvelous
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by marvelous » Sep 16th, '06, 02:50

MinaPi wrote:GUYS WHO CARES ABOUT WHATS GONNA BE IN THE FUTURE I MEAN WHO CARES IF YOUR BF IS KOREAN AND YOUR EUROPEAN! OUR FUTURE WILL CHANGE!

PS: DONT WATCH TO MANY KOREAN DRAMAS! YOULL CHANGE YOUR MIND
If we didn't live in a world of RACE that maybe... Hate to break it to you...

WE ARE STILL PRIMITIVE as a whole...

marvelous
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by marvelous » Sep 16th, '06, 02:51

risjenny wrote:
kmvaddicts wrote:Love reading this topic because eventhough it appears that the it's a little extreme, but it's true. Koreans rarely marry outside their race and they have a very traditionalist view on marriage.

Korean guys are like a very expensive piece of art. You fancy it, you dream about it, you drool at it, you wanted so bad to reach out and touch it, own it, be a slave to it, but it's not within your reach. You can afford it sometimes but you can't have it. :)

My roomate in college is European (Swedish) and she went out with this gorgeous Korean hunk. They dated for about 2 years and we all truly believe that they are a match made in heaven. In the end, this Korean guy broke it off not because he does't love her anymore, but because she does not fit into his traditional Korean family. My Swedish roomie felt so betrayed and I have always wanted to meet the guy again and give him a slap on the face!

Kang...wherever you are, if I ever see you again..... :cussing:
hollaaa...

i have heard many stories regarding that Koreans only marry their own kinds...about how their family disagree their children to date a non korean girl/guy....BUT it is not only in Korea it is like that...its like that for other asians as well.....for real...iam born and raised in Sweden but my parents are from Hong Kong... all the asians thinks the same more or less... my parens are really conservative..they dont care who you date, just as long as in the end you get married to a chinese guy...they prefer me to choose a chinese guy because relationships are already hard itself..with no culture or language barrier it is more simplier..you have a mutual understanding ...thats their point of view...
....Swedish people are open and friendly as they are.. to compare them to chinese people or other foreigners in the country, their way for thinking is different ex( ):
When teenagers reaches their 18th birthday or they graduate high school, parents ship their children off from home to live by themselves...they even rather pay the rent for their childrens apartment than let them stay...(maybe they want to teach their children independence)
Chinese people are more conservative...we stick together and live together as a big family until you get married and then move out...we take care of each other and the elder ones as well..
Iam not saying all the swedish people think like this, it is more a comparision of how different we think...
...For you Kmvaddict...
after reading your story about your roomie ex korean bf...
...if you love someone .. No matter how much your famliy pressure you..you stand firm on what you believe in...to back out like that just show how a great man he was... for gods sake its is the 21st century..just to please your family, a man choose to walk away from love...if his famliy really loves him and care for him..they will tolerate and accept and respect him for choosing a non korean gf.....of course there will be some arguements as first but as time goes on...the parents will accept it..
peace all
That's how you out last or survive by sticking with each other... Don't let the world fool you thinking we live in such a beautiful place... Because it's not... There's wolves out there...

red bean taiyaki

Post by red bean taiyaki » Sep 16th, '06, 05:14

well... it's getting late here, so imma let rip some things:

-my mom told me koreans don't marry outside korean people thingies whatever. this is wrong, from what i've read so far (i read like, two-three pages)

therefore:

-if you want, go find a korean bf. who cares about statistics. just because majority says so, doesn't mean it's true. you must always consider the opinions of the minority.

heck, i want korean bf too, but not for now... this korean guy broke my heart ):

plz no flame >__<

waah~

Icalcan

Post by Icalcan » Sep 16th, '06, 08:26

I actually read all of the posts. It is so funny to see all the views and opinions. I'll tell you a short story of two of my students (learning English in Canada). The beautiful girl (BG) was from Mexico and the average rich spoiled (ARS) :) guy was from Korea. We, as a class/school, did many things and went to many places. I never forget those/these happy days with my students. I am middle-aged and yearn for the love these two kids had for about a year. They were inseparable. We never found them alone, except in their beds. :D :P

It was about wintertime when many close friends and classmates were invited to another rich Korean guy's house for his birthday party. During the conversations, when all the machos (too many contries to mention) were drinking themselves to death :alcoholic: , we learned (somebody was inconsiderate and said) that the ARS had booked his plane ticket and was leaving in 2 weeks. Poor BG didn't know anything and learned about it in that party. She was devastated and didn't talk to anyone and left the party alone in the middle of the night. :cry: 2 girls, one Japanese and another Mexican, followed and accompanied her to her own place. We knew that ARS's study visa was up in a month, but everybody was in a deep shock and the party was really spoiled. We never realized that their pure love and innocent relationship would fall apart so easily. BG never talked to that jerk again, and she is now back in Mexico happily married to a Mexican guy and has a beautiful son.

I never asked but I was told that the ARS's parents were calling him home and had threatened to cancel his credit cards, which were his lifelines in Canada. This story doesn't mean that all interracial relationships fail/work. I just told a story that I was witnessed for a year. You be the judge of that.

Closely related to the story above, there's a point that nobody mentioned in this thread. What if one of any couple lacks language skills and can’t understand the other person completely? In that case all that was talked about in this thread is questionable. I don't think that relationship will really work for the best of the couple. I personally value any person as "one" human being, and not as an entity from a race or a culture. Any relationship requires deep mutual understanding, honesty, and respect from both sides. Please don't base relationships, or for that matter marriage, on racial or trivial issues such as blood type or etc. Let's not forget that life is too short, and it is very important to have the best possible partnership one couple can have in that short time.

If you pay more attention to some of the new dramas, the scriptwriters are trying to inject the new ideas (interracial marriages or unfavorable/unwanted person to the parents), and also make the acceptance of these new facts easier for the older generations through the drama series.

I wouldn't categorize the issue of white/other males liking Asian females as FETISH. If one looks in the dictionary, fetish has a different meaning and most of the time misguides the audience. Shouldn't we call it a desire/interest? I have had that desire and most of my friends are Asians. I am from a Turk origin and luckily that covers a very large and wide area, from west China to the border of Greece. Most of my Asian male/female students (Korean, Japanese, and recently Chinese) have had more interaction with me, perhaps because our cultures are somewhat closer than to those of the West. Some single females have shown interest in being my gf, but after several unfruitful/short relationships/dates, I came to a simple conclusion that I can't marry an Asian girl/woman because she is beautiful or she likes me. I just have a much better understanding of the Turkish culture and traditions, and crave for the Turkish cuisine. :w00t: I can't easily and quickly adapt to her/her family's expectations. I am lucky though, because I can have a partner/wife from Central Asia whose eyes and facial figure is as beautiful as any Asian girl. I am going to work on that idea. :) :P

Somebody mentioned about body figure of the Asian girls. I have noticed "that" :glare: during grocery shopping in the Asian supermarkets. Those fine figures are being slowly replaced by bad North American lifestyle (spending more time on the couch/in front of the computer) and the junk food selections. :x But I'd still say, Asian ladies rock! 8) :wub:

Sorry for the long posting but I couldn't help myself and I had to write this long after reading 8 pages. :wub:
Last edited by Icalcan on Sep 16th, '06, 18:21, edited 1 time in total.

PocketKiriyama

Post by PocketKiriyama » Sep 16th, '06, 08:49

You guys made me see korean guys in a new light.
Then again maybe because of most of the korean girls I see are so obnoxious that I started grouping them all like that.
Well its just my experience with only about 20 or so korean girls.
One was actually pretty cool.
If stepped in first and asked her out, she'd be my girlfriend now.
Oh well I'm stuck as a brother figure....which isn't so bad.
While we are on the subject.
Have we started a "I want a korean girlfriend" thread yet?

v1rgi3

Post by v1rgi3 » Sep 16th, '06, 09:05

what's wrong with saying that she wants a korean bf??? its just a personal perference, so be it, i want a korean bf too, and its NOT because i say them on tv and blah blah blah... but i personally think that the korean language sounds really sexy (ie. think spanish or latin), and i wouldn't mind my boyfriend teaching me some of it, or just speaking it to me...

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by lilswtangel » Sep 16th, '06, 09:06

shoujo22 wrote:
warlock110 wrote:cuzz they watch k-drama all the time and think all korean guys looks like the ones on screen. and also they get hit with the fashion of korean on screen. it's all about facinasion. the freaking truth is all asian looks identical, and all white looks the same, all black look the same, it's generic, there's tiny bit difference here n there but over all shouldn't be a huge difference when u're the same race.
Erm. I don't totally agree with the "they all look alike" bit. It is very true that people of the same race share SEVERAL similarities (obviously :P). But to say that they all look alike...hmmmm. I don't know about that :scratch:.

I agree. There are people who look similar to other people, but you can distinguish one person from another regardless of race and/or ethnicity if you look carefully enough. The only time anyone should have a hard time doing so if you're at a party with strangers and everyone has pretty much the same build, haircut, clothes and etc.

Though, I have heard the saying that there's a twin or a look-a-like for everyone out there. and I do agree (ie. Son Ye Jin and Ha Ga In, Kang Ta and Choi Si Won, Kenny and Steven from the original Boyz, Taylor Hicks and George Clooney, Lee Da Hae and Park Eun Hye, Christopher Reeves and Brandon Routh......wells, you get the idea). but no, NOT ALL MEMBERS OF A CERTAIN RACE &/OR ETHNICITY ARE IDENTICAL IN PHYSICAL APPEARANCE.

warlock110

Post by warlock110 » Sep 16th, '06, 15:05

lilswtangel wrote:
shoujo22 wrote:

I agree. There are people who look similar to other people, but you can distinguish one person from another regardless of race and/or ethnicity if you look carefully enough. The only time anyone should have a hard time doing so if you're at a party with strangers and everyone has pretty much the same build, haircut, clothes and etc.

Though, I have heard the saying that there's a twin or a look-a-like for everyone out there. and I do agree (ie. Son Ye Jin and Ha Ga In, Kang Ta and Choi Si Won, Kenny and Steven from the original Boyz, Taylor Hicks and George Clooney, Lee Da Hae and Park Eun Hye, Christopher Reeves and Brandon Routh......wells, you get the idea). but no, NOT ALL MEMBERS OF A CERTAIN RACE &/OR ETHNICITY ARE IDENTICAL IN PHYSICAL APPEARANCE.
actually, u distinguish people from their culture, not from their looks. if u strip them down naked, u won't be able to tell. it's the way they talk, dress, act that makes u regconize them.

red bean taiyaki

Post by red bean taiyaki » Sep 16th, '06, 15:08

whoa, how'd we get from korean bf, to everyone looks the same/different?

i belive my twin is out there too... i haven't met him/her yet though. -___-;;;. but i have a hunch it's the hard gay guy.

it's all about the bone structure. your/my twin could be three feet tall and if we had the same bone structure, we'd look pretty much the same.

warlock110

Post by warlock110 » Sep 16th, '06, 15:08

v1rgi3 wrote:

what's wrong with saying that she wants a korean bf??? its just a personal perference, so be it, i want a korean bf too, and its NOT because i say them on tv and blah blah blah... but i personally think that the korean language sounds really sexy (ie. think spanish or latin), and i wouldn't mind my boyfriend teaching me some of it, or just speaking it to me...
well, nothing wrong with saying "I want a BF", but there's something deffinitely wrong when you start to say "I want a korean BF" because obviously the person been influence by the down pouring of korean drama, without it do u think the person still says the same thing?

PS: if u want to learn korean, it's better to go to a class and not learn with a bf during ur make out session. u'll probably learn more that way, and u won't have to practice korean with your tongue in his mouth.

tresarai

Re: International Students

Post by tresarai » Sep 16th, '06, 17:25

benebula98 wrote:I work as the assistant manager of a student housing apartment complex near a major university. We have A LOT of international students and quite a lot of them are Korean. I sit at my desk and get treated to eye candy all day long. I live on site and get a really good discount on my rent. Maybe I should get an I want a korean boyfriend t-shirt and start innocently wearing it at home but outside of work. See what happens? ^_^

*BEN*
shouldnt your shirt say,"i want a korean GIRLFIRNED"?

benebula98

Post by benebula98 » Sep 16th, '06, 19:05

Nope. I'm gay.

pink_princess

Post by pink_princess » Sep 16th, '06, 21:00

i have a Korean boyfriend... but he only speaks a little. in other words, he can't have a conversation with you if you speak Korean fluently... :)

tresarai

Post by tresarai » Sep 16th, '06, 22:03

benebula98 wrote:Nope. I'm gay.
haha.. arasoh! :D

warlock110

Post by warlock110 » Sep 16th, '06, 22:33

i hate gay people :blink

kotaeshiranaihito

Post by kotaeshiranaihito » Sep 16th, '06, 22:36

this thread is becoming dumb, can a moderator please close it?

Matrix2021

Post by Matrix2021 » Sep 17th, '06, 00:34

SO Why me not
i wanna girl friend too :)

shoujo22

Post by shoujo22 » Sep 17th, '06, 01:59

warlock110 wrote: actually, u distinguish people from their culture, not from their looks. if u strip them down naked, u won't be able to tell. it's the way they talk, dress, act that makes u regconize them.
Um...no :glare:. You CAN distinguish people from their looks. Google "Tisha Cambell" and "Whitney Houston" and tell me whether or not you can tell the difference. They're both African American. I bet you could tell the difference between the two of them just by looking. No, you don't solely distungiush people by their culture. That's stereotyping in the worst way. And if that were the case then no one would be able to point their own relatives out in a crowd. And if you were to strip people naked who were of the same race you would absolutely see COMPLETE and total differences.

I know that this thread is a bit...random in some ways, but I'm sorry. I just had to say something about this one comment in particular because stereotyping has always been offensive to me.

I'm done now. :offtopic:

jess7ca

Post by jess7ca » Sep 17th, '06, 02:04

wow i never knew that was true... how they only want to marry their own kind o.o; but i had two korean bfs before =) they were both nice

ppoppoboy

Post by ppoppoboy » Sep 17th, '06, 06:04

jung mal oo ggin da! ha ha ha!! korean boyz are not like those fags on drama tv. nice korean boyz? ****... ktown boyz are what others may view as "rough jerks"... and thats okay with me because thats the way we are... and we dont give a F. ironically were momma boyz too. if thats your romantic view of a kboy... then its all you... were that way and that in concurrence with the krazy hoochie ktown girl makes up all the drama! anyone up for another krazy night of ktown clubbin? thats where the drama never cease to please!

jennyvu

Post by jennyvu » Sep 17th, '06, 06:06

i had one kroean bf before...he was soooo stuffy...like he was soo into me and stuff =/ i broke his heart on our 2nd month...i wanted him back a few days later but he dated this really ugly kroean girl! i was so mad...that girl looked 3 years older than me! i couldnt believe he did that to me...i then forgot about him and dated a taiwanese guy...but then i ended up losing feelings for that guy so i broke his heart also after 1 and 1/2 month...now that my korean ex is single again [it didnt go well with that kroean girl...] i kind of miss him =[ but i know that if he can do it once he can do it twice...so i dont know what i should do =[

korean guys got the looks and stuff but very deceiving...

oh and his mom liked me ^^ :wub:

jennyvu

Post by jennyvu » Sep 17th, '06, 06:09

ppoppoboy wrote:jung mal oo ggin da! ha ha ha!! korean boyz are not like those fags on drama tv. nice korean boyz? ****... ktown boyz are what others may view as "rough jerks"... and thats okay with me because thats the way we are... and we dont give a F. ironically were momma boyz too. if thats your romantic view of a kboy... then its all you... were that way and that in concurrence with the krazy hoochie ktown girl makes up all the drama! anyone up for another krazy night of ktown clubbin? thats where the drama never cease to please!
can i ask you something...?

are korean girls sluts :crazy:

marvelous
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by marvelous » Sep 17th, '06, 09:48

jennyvu wrote:
ppoppoboy wrote:jung mal oo ggin da! ha ha ha!! korean boyz are not like those fags on drama tv. nice korean boyz? ****... ktown boyz are what others may view as "rough jerks"... and thats okay with me because thats the way we are... and we dont give a F. ironically were momma boyz too. if thats your romantic view of a kboy... then its all you... were that way and that in concurrence with the krazy hoochie ktown girl makes up all the drama! anyone up for another krazy night of ktown clubbin? thats where the drama never cease to please!
can i ask you something...?

are korean girls sluts :crazy:
That would depend on entirely on the person... not koreans, taiwanese, or americans...

marvelous
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by marvelous » Sep 17th, '06, 09:51

warlock110 wrote:
gay people hate you too.. :cheers:

marvelous
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by marvelous » Sep 17th, '06, 09:54

jess7ca wrote:wow i never knew that was true... how they only want to marry their own kind o.o; but i had two korean bfs before =) they were both nice
I think lot of people are nice and most of them thrive to be... but there are instances where people are jerks etc as they're unaware what they're doing/growing up....

I thought my father was a jerk because he's really agressive, shouts, dictatorship stylet... But I can see his heart is just like a nice person... It's all surface anyways...

warlock110

Post by warlock110 » Sep 17th, '06, 21:06

marvelous wrote:
warlock110 wrote:
gay people hate you too.. :cheers:
u gay? how u know?
dang forum is fuked up, i can't see any of the icons.

berserk

Post by berserk » Sep 17th, '06, 21:37

I laughed out loud when I read a recent article about how many Japanese girls are crazy for Korean boyfriends--because Korean guys are supposedly more caring and sensitive as portrayed in the K-dramas. On the contrary, they are the opposite. Korean husbands are very traditional and many beat their wives. Spousal abuse is so prevalent among Korean families that numerous social research studies have been published on the subject. I know because I once wrote a paper about it for a class. lol

marvelous
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by marvelous » Sep 18th, '06, 00:00

berserk wrote:I laughed out loud when I read a recent article about how many Japanese girls are crazy for Korean boyfriends--because Korean guys are supposedly more caring and sensitive as portrayed in the K-dramas. On the contrary, they are the opposite. Korean husbands are very traditional and many beat their wives. Spousal abuse is so prevalent among Korean families that numerous social research studies have been published on the subject. I know because I once wrote a paper about it for a class. lol
That's it we all beat our wives... :crazy:

Newer generations are complete opposite of older generations or authoritarian style...

My father never beat my mom... While he did spank me when I was growing up it was trying make me into a tough kid...

berserk

Post by berserk » Sep 18th, '06, 00:34

marvelous wrote: That's it we all beat our wives... :crazy:

Newer generations are complete opposite of older generations or authoritarian style...

My father never beat my mom... While he did spank me when I was growing up it was trying make me into a tough kid...
Of course not all beat their wives but an alarmingly high percentage do according to the research studies. And you're right that it's more prevalent among the older generations. We have yet to observe whether this younger generation will emulate their parents.
As for spanking, I think all asian parents beat their kids. I was beaten almost everyday until high school--not because I'm bad but because my parents were psychos. They eventually stopped because I grew bigger and stronger than them and could easily fend off their attacks. lol.

marvelous
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by marvelous » Sep 18th, '06, 01:13

berserk wrote:
marvelous wrote: That's it we all beat our wives... :crazy:

Of course not all beat their wives but an alarmingly high percentage do according to the research studies. And you're right that it's more prevalent among the older generations. We have yet to observe whether this younger generation will emulate their parents.
As for spanking, I think all asian parents beat their kids. I was beaten almost everyday until high school--not because I'm bad but because my parents were psychos. They eventually stopped because I grew bigger and stronger than them and could easily fend off their attacks. lol.
Not.. Quite... Do you understand why they were beating you... Do you understand why they have stopped beating you? It's not because you;re bigger and stronger... Do you know the reason behind the spanking and punishing? If you haven't figured it out you have no authority to talk about Asian way of raising their children...

It's also true some parents go overboard might abues that power but most of them do not want to hurt you...

berserk

Post by berserk » Sep 18th, '06, 01:36

marvelous wrote: Not.. Quite... Do you understand why they were beating you... Do you understand why they have stopped beating you? It's not because you;re bigger and stronger... Do you know the reason behind the spanking and punishing? If you haven't figured it out you have no authority to talk about Asian way of raising their children...

It's also true some parents go overboard might abues that power but most of them do not want to hurt you...
Hey, don't talk like you know anything about me or my life. I understand why Asian parents resort to corporal punishment but my parents were just plain nuts. They more or less used me as a stress relief punching bag because their marriage was in shambles. I often had red welts all over my body from the beatings. I also had to go to the emergency room a few times but they always lied about the cause of my injuries. Hell, I spent two years in therapy recovering from the emotional trauma.

groink

Post by groink » Sep 18th, '06, 01:59

marvelous wrote:Not.. Quite... Do you understand why they were beating you... Do you understand why they have stopped beating you? It's not because you;re bigger and stronger... Do you know the reason behind the spanking and punishing? If you haven't figured it out you have no authority to talk about Asian way of raising their children...

In the Internet world, these comments are called weasel words. Simply, weasel words are words, phrases, and complete sentences written by a person who attempts to state a fact but doesn't properly establish credibility or offers references. i.e. he tries to slide statements by as being fact by using a stronger, more authorative tone of language to make him out to be a so-called authorative figure.

Ways to fix weasel words is to re-phrase them so that people are aware that they're personal opinions, or cite references.

To read into another member's complete history of his/her life and make stupid **** comments like you just made is totally uncalled for.

--- groink

heikin

Post by heikin » Sep 18th, '06, 02:21

in a way, it's true, but it's not always the case.

My cousin (korean) married a white english girl last year and they're really sweet together.
My aunt who is also 100% korean and our background has been purely korean
didn't mind at all and loved and welcomed her into our family.
No one really diagreed about their marriage -_-

My friend who is korean and whos friends are all korean is going out with a taiwanese
girl atm and she's really lovely too.
She's a korean drama fanatic and thinks that all korean boys are hot, sexy, kind and delicate so he has a bit of a problem trying to fit her outrageous demands...
(hey korean guys are human too)

i think it really depends on the person.
i do agree most korean families are very traditional when it comes to marriage,
but saying it out like that is unfair because that's not always the case.

don't let this get to you if you fall in love with a korean guy.
not all family will shut the door at you, and crush down between you two.

Korean men don't beat their wives.
i don't know why this topic has been raised.
I've seen in a japanese drama with smap's tsuyoshi and hirosue ryoko that korean men beat their wives
and this is really odd. I felt really offended.
it's kind of been engraved into the culture that korean men are very respective of their wives and would never beat them.
i think this is more a contemporary culture happening now, since more girls are being open.
(note: my sassy girl, my name is kim sam soon) and korean guys aren't really expecting miss delicate.
now a days, they are more respective of girls that work, have their own beliefs and dreams.
and vice versa for girls.

There's huge stereotypes happening here that's been really said by people outside the korean culture
which is really odd.

if anything, mens of all countries, all nations beat their wives but you can't really say a certain country beats their wife more.

marvelous
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by marvelous » Sep 18th, '06, 03:16

groink wrote:
marvelous wrote:Not.. Quite... Do you understand why they were beating you... Do you understand why they have stopped beating you? It's not because you;re bigger and stronger... Do you know the reason behind the spanking and punishing? If you haven't figured it out you have no authority to talk about Asian way of raising their children...

In the Internet world, these comments are called weasel words. Simply, weasel words are words, phrases, and complete sentences written by a person who attempts to state a fact but doesn't properly establish credibility or offers references. i.e. he tries to slide statements by as being fact by using a stronger, more authorative tone of language to make him out to be a so-called authorative figure.

Ways to fix weasel words is to re-phrase them so that people are aware that they're personal opinions, or cite references.

To read into another member's complete history of his/her life and make stupid **** comments like you just made is totally uncalled for.

--- groink
Weasel words to you... Come back to me when you understand where Asian parents are coming from... Why they punish their kids... 2 word for people like yourself.... WHITE WASHED!

I'm not saying there are bad parents out there and I'm sure there are... But parents do not want to harm their children... Hitting, yelling all that **** is surface and doesn't represent what your parents want from you...

If you don't understand... Don't bother... There isn't an answer or a right way of doing anything...

PocketKiriyama

Post by PocketKiriyama » Sep 18th, '06, 03:31

Korean guys beating their wives?!
Hmm....I know i heard a lot about it but after being around quite a few of them I'm not so sure.
Most of them are hot tempered but usually they'd just walk away.
I did mention my sister's boyfriend is korean and they fight all the time....but it seems to me and his friends also that she's the man of the relationship.

On that note, last time I also stated that he might do what his parents say and marry a korean when the time comes, but recently he assured my sister that he's definitely not going to do it.
I wonder happened there?

marvelous
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by marvelous » Sep 18th, '06, 03:43

berserk wrote:
marvelous wrote: Not.. Quite... Do you understand why they were beating you... Do you understand why they have stopped beating you? It's not because you;re bigger and stronger... Do you know the reason behind the spanking and punishing? If you haven't figured it out you have no authority to talk about Asian way of raising their children...

Hey, don't talk like you know anything about me or my life. I understand why Asian parents resort to corporal punishment but my parents were just plain nuts. They more or less used me as a stress relief punching bag because their marriage was in shambles. I often had red welts all over my body from the beatings. I also had to go to the emergency room a few times but they always lied about the cause of my injuries. Hell, I spent two years in therapy recovering from the emotional trauma.
I don't know about you or your life... But I do understand what people go through when people deal with people and their family.. I have a family and people who I deal with on a daily basis... Surely you can't think you're the only who's gotten a beating from your parents or even deal with everyday struggle within LIFE...

But there are more things in life that you're probably unaware of as do I.

I feel your pain as I've gotten all kinds of demeaning treatment especially from my father but I love him and see that he wasn't really trying to hurt me as I gotten older in my 30's. Talk to your father about it... He will tell you something...

marvelous
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by marvelous » Sep 18th, '06, 03:45

PocketKiriyama wrote:Korean guys beating their wives?!
Hmm....I know i heard a lot about it but after being around quite a few of them I'm not so sure.
Most of them are hot tempered but usually they'd just walk away.
I did mention my sister's boyfriend is korean and they fight all the time....but it seems to me and his friends also that she's the man of the relationship.

On that note, last time I also stated that he might do what his parents say and marry a korean when the time comes, but recently he assured my sister that he's definitely not going to do it.
I wonder happened there?
You're correct.. Korean people are spicy and yes we're little hot tempered.. But most koreans do not beat their wives...

kotaeshiranaihito

Post by kotaeshiranaihito » Sep 18th, '06, 04:01

can a moderator please close this topic?

groink

Post by groink » Sep 18th, '06, 04:10

kotaeshiranaihito wrote:can a moderator please close this topic?
I second that. I haven't even seen the creator of the original post, which was one month ago. I think she got her answer, and the content has gone beyond the original subject matter.

--- groink

Ssang

Post by Ssang » Sep 18th, '06, 05:25

About interracial dating, my cousin is married to an Irish lady (who is a doctor) and I'm pretty sure his parents never had any objections to their marriage. But then again, my cousin is a Korean American and pretty "whitewashed' or Americanized, as they say. Korean guys are their own individuals. It's true there's a cultural issue here, but it seems the newer generations mind it less and less. I prefer asian girls but I have no strict rule against other girls and I know my parents are the same -- they'd prefer it if I married within my own for many many reasons, but in the end they and my uncles or aunts are not going to disown me if I don't.

After my cousin's marriage, I know that my grandmom doesn' t have a problem with interracial dating or marriage judging by a telephone convo I had with her. Issues like this one aren't distinctly Korean either. In America interracial dating or marriage might have been a problem between whites and blacks a few decades ago, and it still may be. In some communities it might have been an issue between Irish and Italians or Jews and Protestants, or else. It doesn't seem like an issue as much any more, or it's easy to forget it ever was, but if that's the case it's a recent development. Segregation in school systems in at least one of the suburbs of NYC (!!) didn't end till 1990. I was shocked to hear this from my friends who grew up in that area, but apparently it's true. So we're talking about rapid changes to basic social conditions in even the most advanced nation in the world.

My point is that there's no point generalizing. Some Korean guys are a certain way, others aren't. Some of their parents can be strict. Others may not be. those who are strict now may not be tommorow (my grandmom being an example). Likewise, the cultural clime of a society can change and change drastically in as a little as a decade.

Anyway, the t-shirt seems like a fun idea. But in all try to place some of the issues dealt with in this thread in perspective: They're extremely small. Lots of people (and trolls) can take an interest in it but life, survival, and happiness have a lot more to them than the ethnicity of the guy you're dating.

Bam-Bam

Post by Bam-Bam » Sep 18th, '06, 13:10

LOL,

It's been fun reading all this silly things. I just hope people don't take all this too seriously.

Anyway, both my sisters are married to white guys and they seem to doing pretty well.

They both have two cute kids already. :roll

Kath-Lee

Post by Kath-Lee » Sep 18th, '06, 14:03

Well I DO have an Asian mother and I can tell she's never hit me in order to make me a better person but she never learned to deal with her anger in any other way then being aggressive. Seeing how it still affects my life in the way it's hard for me to control myself when I'm irritated didn't help me at all.
It seems to me some people here are simply unable to comprehend what's going on in the world. And just like my mother they start offending others as soon as they are of a different opinion. See now how being hit by your parents doesn't really help you becoming a person who's able to solve problems in any other way than that?
Sorry for being off topic but this really pisses me off.

filet

Post by filet » Oct 7th, '06, 16:06

Néa Vanille wrote:
marvelous wrote:
languages merely happen to be my passion, and after mastering English, Italian and French,
Néa Vanille,you mentioned u learnt foreign languages in uni, what other practices you include in mastering those language?Listen to tape..etc???? I want to learn new language, maybe you could give some tips (why not enroll class??well not yet , wanna self learn)

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Oct 26th, '06, 20:15

So, to contribute something to this almost-dead topic:

I'M MOVING IN WITH MY KOREAN BOYFRIEND IN DECEMBER! YATTA! :mrgreen:

I's going really fast for us. But that's okay because we were friends for a really long time before. :)

@filt: I didn't study those languages in Uni. I learned English, French and Italian in High School and then taught myself how to properly write and speak in those languages by myself in my free time, via reading stories (I read at least 100 books in English, 50 in French. Italian wasn't really that needed because I already knew how to write in it rather well because I'm half-Italian - I learned to actually speak it later during my numerous visits to Italy with friends, though, because we never spoke it at home), watching drama (I watched all 7 seasons of Buffy in English etc.) and chatting. I started to chat in English and French daily about 4 years ago - before that, my written English was very shaky and FAR from eloquent.