Favourite mangas

Talk about the culture and entertainment from Nihon.
boji

Favourite mangas

Post by boji » Jul 17th, '06, 02:09

hi guys just wondering which mangas you'd recommend on reading since i've just discovered how great this things are

Fieryshadow

Post by Fieryshadow » Jul 17th, '06, 02:20

this Boxing manga is a favorite of mine.. - Hajime no ippo pretty long though :P 75 volumes and continuing...

roona

Post by roona » Jul 17th, '06, 20:35

hi, ^_______^
i recommend you to read Death Note its soooo nice

magicbulletgirl

Post by magicbulletgirl » Jul 17th, '06, 20:59

I recommend Detective Conan *esp. now that there's going to be a drama ^^!*
Cross Game is good.
Fruits Basket and The Gentleman Alliance if you like shojo manga ^^

xox-Beautifully-Broken-xo

Post by xox-Beautifully-Broken-xo » Jul 17th, '06, 21:12

I recommend Forbidden Dance but not sure if anymore volumes are out. I only have 1 & 2, but it's quite addictive and good. I read it more than three times. xP
Fruits Basket, D.N.Angel, and Tsubasa Chronicles are equally good. ^^ Oh~ And Mars! Though there's a drama on it already, but still. You should give that a shot. (^^)v

jazzy5000

Post by jazzy5000 » Jul 17th, '06, 21:31

I think all of the volumes of forbidden dance have already came out. Yea Mars was very good, though the pictures weren't too good. I would definetely recommend Girl Got Game, Kare First Love, Happy Hustle High, Marmalade Boy and Hot Gimmick for shoujo fans. Just started reading a new manga in the UK called 'crimson hero' which seems pretty good so far. Looking forward for more ^^

ilot

Post by ilot » Jul 17th, '06, 21:39

Death Note is really good.
But for light reading I recomend you fruit basket, Slam Dunk, Beck, Bleach, dragon ball, Kyo samurai deeper.. ah...I think there are too many that I want to list here.

xox-Beautifully-Broken-xo

Post by xox-Beautifully-Broken-xo » Jul 17th, '06, 21:55

jazzy5000 wrote:I think all of the volumes of forbidden dance have already came out. Yea Mars was very good, though the pictures weren't too good. I would definetely recommend Girl Got Game, Kare First Love, Happy Hustle High, Marmalade Boy and Hot Gimmick for shoujo fans. Just started reading a new manga in the UK called 'crimson hero' which seems pretty good so far. Looking forward for more ^^
Really?! I live in Canada, and it's been a year, and still, only 1 and 2 of Forbidden Dance was availible here. =.=" Been searching for 3+ but couldn't find any... ~.~

nikochanr3

Post by nikochanr3 » Jul 17th, '06, 22:08

if we are including finished mangas GTO, CHOBITS are two of my favorites.

Bleach, Death Note and Eyeshiled 21 are what i read now. IM going to stary Kurosagi soon in japanese.

Yorugao~Moonflower

Post by Yorugao~Moonflower » Jul 17th, '06, 22:41

If you like shoujo I'd definitely recommend Fruits Basket, Perfect Girl Evolution or Nana.
Otherwise try reading these ones:
1. Hikaru no Go
2. Rurouni Kenshin
3. Team Medical Dragon - the drama was based on this manga
4. Nodame Cantabile - this one was a winner of Kodansha award and it has a good reason to be. Highly entertaining!
5. Death Note (1st Arc) or 20th Century Boys
6. Yakitate Japan! - although it is about baking bread it's incredibly funny! I'd say intelligently written comedy :-)

Kimmy07

Post by Kimmy07 » Jul 18th, '06, 06:31

I definitely recommend Fruits Basket and Death Note.

Other good ones are Mars, Hana Yori Dango, Dragon Knights (only if you don't mind a ton of complicated characters with different complicated situations happening all at once. One of my favorites but I can see how it'd be very confusing), Tokyo Mew Mew (if you like cute, this is CUTE!)

If you get a little more specific I could definitely tell you some manga you'll love for sure

roona

Post by roona » Jul 18th, '06, 12:41

hi

i notice more nice mangaz "Your So Cool" is nice and "Fruit Basket " :P
hope you like it and yah hana yori dango but you should whatch the drama afterward becasue its sooo nice ... :D

Denwa

Post by Denwa » Jul 18th, '06, 13:07

Rurouni Kenshin
GTO
Death Note

seryeplease

Post by seryeplease » Jul 18th, '06, 13:51

you can try this site for lots of manga infos http://www.mangaupdates.com

here are some mangas i've read (or currently reading) and liked:

flame of recca, eyeshield 21, mar, hanakimi, d-greyman, ares (but i think they've stalled this one), Prince of tennis (though it has become ah, too much? but i like it still), one piece ----> very very very very funny and heart warming, yakitate, demon diary... naruto, bleach and salm dunk etc, etc etc...

check that site out.. ;p

Miyaguchi

Post by Miyaguchi » Jul 18th, '06, 14:18

Hiroshima 1945 - I've heard very good, more ambitious than 1000000 other mangas...Is anybody know this manga?

boji

Post by boji » Jul 20th, '06, 00:53

thanks for everyone who recommended fruits basket.i'm loving it right now :D next im gonna read some love hina and one piece

Sharpneru

Post by Sharpneru » Jul 20th, '06, 05:26

I would say "I"s", probably because "I"s." is the only manga that I really read all the way to the end.

"Ah! My Goddess" was my first manga, is fun to read so that too.

seryeplease

Post by seryeplease » Jul 20th, '06, 14:09

one piece, yeah!!! but you might also wanna try hanakimi if you're into romance/shoujo.... yep, lots of bishounen in there, very yummy... hehehehe ;p oh and the best part is, its already finished plus theres gonna be a series based on this manga...

tisa

Post by tisa » Jul 31st, '06, 10:03

The best shoujo i've read:

Hana yori dango (36 vol)
Hana kimi (23 vol)
Akuma de sourou (11 vol)
Makakushi no kuni (9 vol)
Koukou debut

hereford

Post by hereford » Jul 31st, '06, 10:16

i really like Doubt, Kare Kano, The Wallflower... and i looove Hot Gimmick and Beck.

ohcrapimonfire

Post by ohcrapimonfire » Aug 3rd, '06, 20:17

If you like shoujo, I love love love Hana Yori Dango. It's the first manga I was dedicated enough to buy before it came out with English translations (I'd print out hundreds of pages of translations and go through each tankoubon... it was arduous but worth it). The art at the beginning of the series is a bit odd, but after the first ten or so (maybe 20? There's about 30 something in all) the art becomes quite distinct and beautiful.

I also liked Kimi wa Petto a lot, except I never finished it... but both were turned into dramas anyway (with Matsumoto Jun in both, go fig).

minikui

Post by minikui » Aug 3rd, '06, 20:50

Everybody should read 20th Century Boys

I second Fruits Basket (but you're reading it already) and Death Note as well and Higurashi no naku koro ni ... but that one is only out as scanlation and maybe not for someone easily scared =)

aznkether

Post by aznkether » Aug 3rd, '06, 21:54

Berserk - a medieval tale of a cursed skilled swordsman trying to fight against his destiny
Hajime no Ippo - boxing manga, but it's so cool!
Death Note - a battle of wits and strategy, which is cool because you are actually rooting for the bad guy ( or as alternate read a lighter manga Hikaru no Go, by the same authors)
something by Rumiko Takahashi (Ranma, Inuyasha, Maison Ikkoku, etc.)
Monster - a doctor searches for a murder he saved, very gripping and a thriller ( or as alternate read 20th Century Boys, by the same author)

For the more romantic, I recommend Marmalade Boy, Hana Yori Dango, I''s, or Fruits Basket

makoReactor

Post by makoReactor » Aug 4th, '06, 07:37

Kare Kano. The Manga, is one of the funnest things you can read during the first half, and becomes an outstanding story in the last half (so far). I highly recommend it.

piccu

Post by piccu » Aug 5th, '06, 01:48

My favoruite mangas:
Parfait Tic
Only the first part of Death Note because Raito was pwned in part two :glare:
Hikaru no Go luv it~
xxxHolic

manhwa:
Love Virus
Angel Shop love it, the art is so beautiful and the story is very intresting
Ami - Queen of hearts fun to read, the ending is very impressive and sad

siangsaolong

Post by siangsaolong » Aug 5th, '06, 02:06

DEATHNOTE
MONSTER/20th CENTURY BOYS
ICHIGO100%
PSTCHOMETRER EIJI
EYESHIELD21
BAKI (only if you like blood and muscle)
I''S
BOYS
DRAGON BALL (before Goku grown up)
JOJO BLIZZARE ADVENTURE/STEEL BALL RUN
and a cooking manga that I don't know the English or Japanese name but the protagonist is like the chef from hell.

HK MANGA I think chinese style is more beautiful than japanese.(just an opinion)

dead_cute

Post by dead_cute » Aug 5th, '06, 04:03

I love deathnote too ( i heard they made a movie )
I also like Nana , Marmalade boy, absolute boyfriend and Wallflower!!! ( which is my favorite)

GhstDreamer

Post by GhstDreamer » Aug 5th, '06, 04:48

I highly recommend for shoujo mangas:
Fruits Basket (basically what most people here have already said)
Land of the Blindfolded/Invisible World - it's about this girl who can glimpse into the future and she falls in love with a guy who can see the past.
xxxHolic, Legal Drug and Tokyo Babylon - usually almost anything by Clamp is good
Banana Fish

Shonen Manga:
Naruto - not all of it - the recent story arc I find to be a bit boring
Bleach
Death Note (almost like everyone recommended already)
Category Freaks

Others:
Genshiken - of course for the otakus
Planet ES - if you want something serious; the anime series was excellent as well
Mushishi
Kindaichi Case Files - the manga is much much better than the live action series and even the anime series as well.

I read yaoi manga too but I'm not going to recommend them here...lol...

guccijana

Post by guccijana » Aug 5th, '06, 04:54

ohcrapimonfire wrote:If you like shoujo, I love love love Hana Yori Dango. It's the first manga I was dedicated enough to buy before it came out with English translations (I'd print out hundreds of pages of translations and go through each tankoubon... it was arduous but worth it). The art at the beginning of the series is a bit odd, but after the first ten or so (maybe 20? There's about 30 something in all) the art becomes quite distinct and beautiful..
ABSOLUTELY AGREE. hana yori dango is to date my favorite manga of alll time.. i mean i read it over 10 times, and each and everythime i read it again, it always seems to surprize me, and never gets boring.. i deff. would recommend Hana yori dango as a must read for all manga lovers.
Hana yori dango :wub:

Lim_Chori

Post by Lim_Chori » Aug 5th, '06, 23:29

Shonen Manga.
1. Gantz
2. Berserk
3. Eyeshield 21
4. Slam Dunk
5. Any of Oh! Great's works.

K.T.Tran

Post by K.T.Tran » Aug 6th, '06, 06:43

Definately GTO :lol

also like Flame of Recca, Kare Kano, and i think its called Wallflower.... :unsure: OH yea....Rebound is good too

x0xTEELEEx0x

Post by x0xTEELEEx0x » Aug 11th, '06, 07:28

Ohhh I agree with a lot of the titles suggested! My top favorites are:

Kare Kano
The Wallflower
Ouran High School Host Club
Ceres, Celestial Legend
Battle Royale
Vampire Game

My list could go on forever & ever hehe

Genoma

Post by Genoma » Aug 13th, '06, 07:48

How about Doraemon =)) that's the 1st manga you should check out since you're newbie, ne? ;))

Keeper of hells gate2

Post by Keeper of hells gate2 » Aug 13th, '06, 18:17

Berserk is probably the best Manga ever written. Its really really good and very unique for what is out right now.

1)Berserk (is just greatness)
2)Gantz
3)One Piece
4)Bleach
5)Hunter X Hunter
6)Inuyasha Yep, thats right Inuyasha. One day - One Day - It has to happen - doesn't it - they will defeat Naraku - I has to happen, doesn't it?

CrimsonDreamer

Post by CrimsonDreamer » Aug 15th, '06, 10:33

1. One Piece (the best manga ever )
2. Bleach
3. Gintama

jigoku

Post by jigoku » Aug 15th, '06, 10:48

i recommend I''S. yeah! definitely I''S.
hm... and maybe suzuka..
and then...
lilim kiss!!!!
:wub:
magicbulletgirl wrote:I recommend Detective Conan *esp. now that there's going to be a drama ^^!*
Cross Game is good.
Fruits Basket and The Gentleman Alliance if you like shojo manga ^^
a DRAMA?

rickt

Post by rickt » Aug 15th, '06, 17:35

^ yeah but not Conan though, more like Shinichi Kudo's story before he becomes Conan. I think Oguri Shun plays Shinichi. more info check out the list of upcoming drama for autumn season.
Genoma wrote:How about Doraemon =)) that's the 1st manga you should check out since you're newbie, ne? ;))
:lol that is so true! but I find that the anime version is much funnier than the manga tho.

my favourite manga:
Mekakushi no Kuni - a girl who can see the future meets a guy who can see the past. it's the story of how they see life and people in general with their own eyes. very good manga! loving it very much~
Iryu/Team Medical Dragon - read the manga, seen the drama. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!
Yamato Nadeshiko Shichihenge/Perfect Girl Evolution/The Wallflower - very funny manga about four (?) gorgeous guys who try to make a girl with a "dark" personality into a perfect girl so they can live for free (or at discounted rate?) in her aunt's house.
Shanaoh Yoshitsune - don't usually like this type of story but this one is exceptional. got me hooked on it by the first volume..
Mars - seen the drama, just started reading the manga. loving it so far..
Kare First Love - this one somehow reminds me of Mars. similar kind of shoujo story but the plot is much lighter than Mars. still good for those who loves shoujo manga.
Meitantei Conan - impossible crimes yet supported by real facts..
most manga from Yoshihara Yuki - comedic shoujo manga with a touch of ecchi-ness. :P I just find them extremely hilarious at times.

hamstaball

Post by hamstaball » Aug 15th, '06, 17:50

haha i totally love Yamato Nadeshiko Shichihenge! its definitely one of my top faves, i also read about half of Mars and its pretty good. oh oh and also Kare Kano!

Cefuroxime

Post by Cefuroxime » Aug 15th, '06, 19:26

My favourite manga is The Penguin Brothers.

Mustiiien

Post by Mustiiien » Aug 15th, '06, 19:38

Hajime no Ippo, One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, that's about it. xD

albertoavena

Post by albertoavena » Aug 15th, '06, 19:55

hmm, I usually don't read mangas but I recently picked done up. Although i watched the show first.. Prince of Tennis was pretty interesting..probably the only one I'll ever read..maybe not, I don't know. Maybe I'll get more interested.

mallorn

Post by mallorn » Aug 16th, '06, 10:28

Saikano is very good- a sort of serious love story where the girl is a weapon of destruction. Read it! IF you ever watched the Flame of Recca anime, you can pick up where the anime ends in the manga and read on the other very interesting arcs with great storyline and artwork. Yakitate Japan is priceless if you want a silly but good manga about, would you believe it, bread! One of the few shoujo mangas I'm realy into is Lovely Complex; about a tall girl and a short boy. And if you are musically inclined, Nodame Cantabile is a silly light-hearted manga (once again!) about a weird (no OTHER way to describe Nodame, weird in a nice way, though!) girl studying piano and her cool, collected, popular aspiring-to-be-a-conductor crush.

:D

atsuko fujitsu

Post by atsuko fujitsu » Aug 16th, '06, 23:26

one of my favorites is one my friend brought me , its only in japanese, theres no english translation , its called SENSEI, its about a girl and her teachers friendship that evoulves into somthing more

chibiskuld

Post by chibiskuld » Aug 17th, '06, 11:06

hmm mine are

Hana Kimi
Naruto

There are others but these 2 I like the most

sLaVe4Rain

Post by sLaVe4Rain » Aug 20th, '06, 17:20

I still read ALOT of Mangas (I buy, I dont download :P) even though Ive given up on anime (I think I only watched it to understand Japanese... oh well ^-^;)

Romance/Slice of Life
-Tenshin Ja Nai ("Im no Angel") : Thsi is about a girl who doesnt like attention so she goes to a all girls school, very famous one at that. But unfortonitly, her room mate is a BIG star! And she (or...should I say..HE) has a big secret. shes a MAN! She has no intentions of leaking the secret (just so she can keep away from attention) but he black mails her anyway. Soon after though, one of them falls for the other... but the other is inlove with their young teacher!
-Crossroad : In the story, there are two brothers and one sister, all orphans and not blood related. They are taken in by their "mother" who is VERY irresponsible and isnt even older than (the eldest) but ten years! But the had to split apart to adopted families (or live on their own) and never met again until their grandmother died. and now, everyones living in one room, plus they have a lil sister that their mother just brought in, ha. But Loves blooming in the family... will restrictions of family get inbetween?
-Aishiteru ze Baby: One of my favorite mangs. Keippei is an all around playboy with girls coming to him. A very bad student too. But one day, his aunt runs away and leaves behind her child, his cousin, who is about 5 or 6. The family decides that he has to take care of her! He has to do things from making obento, getting her ready for school, taking her to school, etc etc. But during this he loses time for himself! He also falls for the top student in the grade, very popular... Sparks are made, but are broken because of Yuzuyu (the cousin). But it looks like the future is bright for them.... You will cry at times, or be very touched. The anime made me cry XD
-Fruits Basket:well Im sure everyone knows about this very famous manga... I havnt read it in a while, because Im focusing on the others.
-The Devil Does Exist: A girl falls in love with the captain and top player of the school, and tries to confess her feelings, only her clumsyness made her confess to the wrong person! Its even worse when that person is such a wild one, very mean to her, and takes her leter. Mishaps happen, but yet she finds that hes not such a bad person... but guess who is? Her big crush!
-Crimson Hero: A girl is very much in love with volleyball because thats the only thing shses good at. But her family is a very important person in the town, and she has some responsibilities and is forced to give up her loved sport. But to get what she wants, and to go to the school with the only girls volley ball team (or so she thought...) she runs away from home and has to now live with 5(?) boys who are in the volleyball team! She now is the house keeper, and has fights with the boys... This turns to be a romance of course, but she still steers clear to remake the volley ball team that the school said they had.
-Paradise Kiss:A girl who studies very hard to please her mother doesnt have time to do any irresponsible things. But the very best fanshion artists in a prestigious college find her and want to make her a model. she has just the facial features needed for their extreme style, shes also very tall. After a while, she agrees to it and realizes that modeling is what she wants to do! it makes her happy. Plus, she falls for the playboy head designer and realizes what love is. But in the end, she has to choose from career or him.
-NANA:(I havnt read it, but Im gonna get it, hear many good things about it)
-Kare First Love:A hard working student that goes to an all girl school (and shes very nerdy) falls for a popular boy who loves to do photography. Turns out the book of photos she was looking at was his brother who is now dead. But Aoi wants to follow in his footsteeps, and as their love goes on deeper, Karin wants to support him no matter what and even convince his family members that are totaly against his photograpghy (only because they are scared to lose him too).
-MARS: My first manga ever, and I thought it was a great romance. (sorry, I forget the names its been so long). A girl who has a horroble past with ehr step father is left very scared of men and all kinds of boys. But the very hot and loved by everyone Rei falls for her art and now wants to show her that everyone can have love. She accepts him because she feels so secure only around him. Their love goes through many near death experiances but yet they cant keep away from each other. Even though the obsessed homicidal maniac wants Rei all to himself. Rei too had a horrible past because his twin brother he loved so much killed himself. he was a great artist, and through his left behind works can they unsolve his suicidal actions.
-Happy Hustle high: Tomboyish girl attends an all girls school. Shes very spunky and knows how to lead a crowd, especially females. But her school decides to go co-ed with a boy school, what sucks is they are going with the school rules of the boy's school. And now since its a new time and girls have been added, she plans to change all the rules to make it " a Happy hustle high" (I know, corny xD). She also wants to let the boys know that she shouldnt be taken for granted. When shes voted vice president of the school, the boy she falls for has to resign, but stays with the student council. this makes them closer, and she realizes that she should be herself instead of trying to be feminine. And she also teaches her new love that he shouldnt fear girls anymore (he has a fear of girls because even in kindergarden, ALL the girls fought over him...and he was traumatized).

Comedy/Other
-Love hina: A very funny comedy, proboly the best one so far that Ive read. Also very romantic. And there are even parts you can cry to! About friendship and sacrafice of love so your friend can be happy. Keitaro is a stupid student who tries to get into Tokyo U because of a promise he made with a girl. If they both get in, they fall inlove (cheesy? Not really <3). he has to live in his mothers once Inn, now a girls bording house. he lives as the only boy there and their land lord! Many things happen with the 8 (?) girls in the dorm... And although everyone hates him... they soon love him in all kinds of way. This manga is very funny and perverted XD lots of nekkid-ness...
-Sensei Negima
-Fairies Landing: I probobly call this my Love hina replacement for comedy... A boy is fooled into stealing the lingere (sp?) of a fairy because of a mythical creature he runs into. They accidentaly rip them and that causes the two fairies to stay on Earth. Both fairies are rivals, but in order for Medea to go back to Fairy world, she has to help her rival and the human she put a curse on. his curse? Why, its only 108 and affinities XD And each time he looks into the eyes of a girl, trouble happens. But now, love seems to be sparking with one of two of the only girls he can lay eyes on and have no trouble. VERY funny, and now romance and a VERY interesting story of back stabbing happens.
-Ichigo 100%:(this is the only one you have to download unless you can read Japanese). Very perverted Harem like LH (but I think this takes it too far). Its not X rated, but its still something 16 year olds and up should only read (yeah, Im 14.... but whatever :P). Its basically like the anime. Three girls (and i think a 4th one in the manga) falls for one guy. All so diffrent, and all have one major quality that he wants in a girl. Tojou is smart and stands by his side, satsuki is so easy to talk to and he has fun with her all the time (I think shes the best :cheers: ), and Nishino

Action/Martial Arts
-Samurai Deeper Kyo: Im not sticking with this manga, because I dont have enough dough for it XD but its a pretty good martial arts one, I love samurai movies, so this was a good one. A poor medicine pedaller has another side of him which turns out to be a murder lord of 1000 killings. Bounty hunters everywhere are looking for him...
-Bleach: I think this one is too famous for a sypnopsis xD

Most of the things I read are always recomended. But some are just a few I picked up and was definitly great (like the first two on the list).

-sLaVe4Rain

sLaVe4Rain

Post by sLaVe4Rain » Aug 20th, '06, 17:23

I still read ALOT of Mangas (I buy, I dont download :P) even though Ive given up on anime (I think I only watched it to understand Japanese... oh well ^-^;)

Romance/Slice of Life
-Tenshin Ja Nai ("Im no Angel") : Thsi is about a girl who doesnt like attention so she goes to a all girls school, very famous one at that. But unfortonitly, her room mate is a BIG star! And she (or...should I say..HE) has a big secret. shes a MAN! She has no intentions of leaking the secret (just so she can keep away from attention) but he black mails her anyway. Soon after though, one of them falls for the other... but the other is inlove with their young teacher!

-Crossroad : In the story, there are two brothers and one sister, all orphans and not blood related. They are taken in by their "mother" who is VERY irresponsible and isnt even older than (the eldest) but ten years! But the had to split apart to adopted families (or live on their own) and never met again until their grandmother died. and now, everyones living in one room, plus they have a lil sister that their mother just brought in, ha. But Loves blooming in the family... will restrictions of family get inbetween?

-Aishiteru ze Baby: One of my favorite mangs. Keippei is an all around playboy with girls coming to him. A very bad student too. But one day, his aunt runs away and leaves behind her child, his cousin, who is about 5 or 6. The family decides that he has to take care of her! He has to do things from making obento, getting her ready for school, taking her to school, etc etc. But during this he loses time for himself! He also falls for the top student in the grade, very popular... Sparks are made, but are broken because of Yuzuyu (the cousin). But it looks like the future is bright for them.... You will cry at times, or be very touched. The anime made me cry XD

-Fruits Basket:well Im sure everyone knows about this very famous manga... I havnt read it in a while, because Im focusing on the others. But its still very interesting.

-The Devil Does Exist: A girl falls in love with the captain and top player of the school, and tries to confess her feelings, only her clumsyness made her confess to the wrong person! Its even worse when that person is such a wild one, very mean to her, and takes her leter. Mishaps happen, but yet she finds that hes not such a bad person... but guess who is? Her big crush!

-Crimson Hero: A girl is very much in love with volleyball because thats the only thing shses good at. But her family is a very important person in the town, and she has some responsibilities and is forced to give up her loved sport. But to get what she wants, and to go to the school with the only girls volley ball team (or so she thought...) she runs away from home and has to now live with 5(?) boys who are in the volleyball team! She now is the house keeper, and has fights with the boys... This turns to be a romance of course, but she still steers clear to remake the volley ball team that the school said they had.

-Paradise Kiss:A girl who studies very hard to please her mother doesnt have time to do any irresponsible things. But the very best fanshion artists in a prestigious college find her and want to make her a model. she has just the facial features needed for their extreme style, shes also very tall. After a while, she agrees to it and realizes that modeling is what she wants to do! it makes her happy. Plus, she falls for the playboy head designer and realizes what love is. But in the end, she has to choose from career or him.

-Kare First Love:A hard working student that goes to an all girl school (and shes very nerdy) falls for a popular boy who loves to do photography. Turns out the book of photos she was looking at was his brother who is now dead. But Aoi wants to follow in his footsteeps, and as their love goes on deeper, Karin wants to support him no matter what and even convince his family members that are totaly against his photograpghy (only because they are scared to lose him too).

-MARS: My first manga ever, and I thought it was a great romance. (sorry, I forget the names its been so long). A girl who has a horroble past with ehr step father is left very scared of men and all kinds of boys. But the very hot and loved by everyone Rei falls for her art and now wants to show her that everyone can have love. She accepts him because she feels so secure only around him. Their love goes through many near death experiances but yet they cant keep away from each other. Even though the obsessed homicidal maniac wants Rei all to himself. Rei too had a horrible past because his twin brother he loved so much killed himself. he was a great artist, and through his left behind works can they unsolve his suicidal actions.

-Happy Hustle high: Tomboyish girl attends an all girls school. Shes very spunky and knows how to lead a crowd, especially females. But her school decides to go co-ed with a boy school, what sucks is they are going with the school rules of the boy's school. And now since its a new time and girls have been added, she plans to change all the rules to make it " a Happy hustle high" (I know, corny xD). She also wants to let the boys know that she shouldnt be taken for granted. When shes voted vice president of the school, the boy she falls for has to resign, but stays with the student council. this makes them closer, and she realizes that she should be herself instead of trying to be feminine. And she also teaches her new love that he shouldnt fear girls anymore (he has a fear of girls because even in kindergarden, ALL the girls fought over him...and he was traumatized).

Comedy/Other
-Love hina: A very funny comedy, proboly the best one so far that Ive read. Also very romantic. And there are even parts you can cry to! About friendship and sacrafice of love so your friend can be happy. Keitaro is a stupid student who tries to get into Tokyo U because of a promise he made with a girl. If they both get in, they fall inlove (cheesy? Not really <3). he has to live in his mothers once Inn, now a girls bording house. he lives as the only boy there and their land lord! Many things happen with the 8 (?) girls in the dorm... And although everyone hates him... they soon love him in all kinds of way. This manga is very funny and perverted XD lots of nekkid-ness...
-Sensei Negima

-Fairies Landing: I probobly call this my Love hina replacement for comedy... A boy is fooled into stealing the lingere (sp?) of a fairy because of a mythical creature he runs into. They accidentaly rip them and that causes the two fairies to stay on Earth. Both fairies are rivals, but in order for Medea to go back to Fairy world, she has to help her rival and the human she put a curse on. his curse? Why, its only 108 and affinities XD And each time he looks into the eyes of a girl, trouble happens. But now, love seems to be sparking with one of two of the only girls he can lay eyes on and have no trouble. VERY funny, and now romance and a VERY interesting story of back stabbing happens.

-Ichigo 100%:(this is the only one you have to download unless you can read Japanese). Very perverted Harem like LH (but I think this takes it too far). Its not X rated, but its still something 16 year olds and up should only read (yeah, Im 14.... but whatever :P). Its basically like the anime. Three girls (and i think a 4th one in the manga) falls for one guy. All so diffrent, and all have one major quality that he wants in a girl. Tojou is smart and stands by his side, satsuki is so easy to talk to and he has fun with her all the time (I think shes the best :cheers: ), and Nishino who is smart and would make a GREAT housewife. All are fighting for him, and hes fighting to make a decision (although I hated it :glare: )

Action/Martial Arts
-Samurai Deeper Kyo: Im not sticking with this manga, because I dont have enough dough for it XD but its a pretty good martial arts one, I love samurai movies, so this was a good one. A poor medicine pedaller has another side of him which turns out to be a murder lord of 1000 killings. Bounty hunters everywhere are looking for him...

Most of the things I read are always recomended. But some are just a few I picked up and was definitly great (like the first two on the list).

-sLaVe4Rain

docipain

Post by docipain » Sep 5th, '06, 01:45

Honestly i don't read Mangas anymore so often...no money and really lazy xDD
But my favourites are:

Fruits Basket
Hunter X Hunter
Kodomo no Omocha
Gravitation

yeah that's it...my collection is so...little? xD

Astro_Boi

Post by Astro_Boi » Sep 6th, '06, 01:30

well i guess it depends in what your into but i can suggest
Love Hina
...and
Berserk ( if you like your action/drama mangas )

garnet07

Post by garnet07 » Sep 24th, '06, 01:37

Oh I host mangas on my site. And my recommendations are here: http://goldlilys.110mb.com/manga_col.html .

If you ever need to ask anything about mangas or request for one, then you can visit my site.

Oh these are all FREE

berserk

Post by berserk » Sep 25th, '06, 03:29

I think it's pretty obvious from my handle that my all-time favorite manga is Berserk. Some of my other favorites include:
GTO
Rurouni Kenshin (particularly the Jinchu Arc which was never animated)
Hikaru No Go
Naruto (only keep up with the manga, don't watch the anime)
Gantz

My favorite old-school mangas from childhood:
Dragonball/DBZ
Doraemon (so fun that I still read this from time to time)
Black Jack (Osamu Tezuka rules!)
Hokuto no ken
Kaze no tani no Nausicaa
Urusei Yatsura and Ranma 1/2

I stay away from most Shoujo mangas but I did enjoy:
Ichigo 100%

Starlightkitty7

Post by Starlightkitty7 » Sep 25th, '06, 15:00

I'd say you should try
"From Far Away" (its romance wiht a bit of action mainly romance but its a cute story
"Wish" (again..romance but it has cute jokes and such
"DNAngel" "Marmalade Boy"
Those two listed are pretty good. ^^

azn-angelz-demons

Post by azn-angelz-demons » Sep 27th, '06, 10:54

recommend:

Love for Venus [romance & comedy]
Fruits Basket [about zodiac has romance]
Neon Genesis Evanglion [action]
Kare Kano [another romance/school]
Naruto
Bleach

personally i like Fruits Basket the best =P
:lol
Last edited by azn-angelz-demons on Oct 8th, '06, 08:03, edited 1 time in total.

imaretard

Post by imaretard » Oct 8th, '06, 02:58

sLaVe4Rain wrote:I still read ALOT of Mangas (I buy, I dont download :P) even though Ive given up on anime (I think I only watched it to understand Japanese... oh well ^-^;)

-Fruits Basket:well Im sure everyone knows about this very famous manga... I havnt read it in a while, because Im focusing on the others. But its still very interesting.

Comedy/Other
-Sensei Negima

Action/Martial Arts

-sLaVe4Rain
yes!!.this are the ones i read.. :lol
i also recommend

GACHA GACHA
OTHELLO
XXXHOLIC
TSUBASA
ATTACK NO.1
WALLFLOWER!!!!
sunako rocks!

Tai Dinh

Post by Tai Dinh » Oct 8th, '06, 03:09

For comedy, try

Love Hina
Chobits
Fruit Basket
GTO
Bleach as a bit of comedy and a lot of action.
I'm not a fan of Naruto but, some says it's good.

AngelicLayer

Post by AngelicLayer » Oct 13th, '06, 16:54

many years ago I used to read DNA and Marmelade Boy, then I changed to B2K!! And later I read God hild! I havent been reading mangas for about 3 years now!

Riee109

Post by Riee109 » Oct 13th, '06, 17:11

My favourite Manga is Tenshi nanka janai (by Yazawa Ai).
It's an innocent love story about a high school girl falling in love with some boy from her school. I just love the main character!

I must admit that I like all the old manga of Yazawa Ai because they are so emotional that I can just feel with the main characters. Also I like the fact that the really old manga of her are written with Kansai-Ben :)

sachin

Post by sachin » Apr 1st, '07, 12:39

my favourites are

Shaman King
Naruto
and DNA :D

daisukides

Post by daisukides » Apr 1st, '07, 12:54

My favourite is Tramps like us (kimi wa petto). Started reading it after watching the drama. It was last summer, I was sitting on my porch in the sun reading it with
a kana chart by my side so I could understand the onomatopoeia or whatever it's called. Chuuuuu! Ban! :lol
Aaah, good times.

I also love Beauty is the beast. Oh and Passion (yaoi)

notimeforfairytales

Post by notimeforfairytales » Apr 1st, '07, 14:18

I only read shoujo mangas! Some of my favorites are

- Full Moon wo Sagashite :wub:
- Fruits Basket
- Fushigi Yuugi
- Marmalade Boy
- Kodocha (Kodomo no Omocha)
- Beauty Pop
- Wild Act
- Tenshi Ja Nai
- Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne

Deleted User 100869

Post by Deleted User 100869 » Apr 1st, '07, 14:37

Manga.... makes me broke. Im weird in a way I hate downloading it, I like to own it so I can share it and have it on my shelves, you know?

Favorites-
Tramps Like Us
Fruits Basket
Chobits
Kodocha
Vampire Knight
Pita-Ten
Boys Over Flowers (Hana Yori Dango) :heart:
.Hack
Kare Kano
Marmalade Boy
Nana

TRaven

Post by TRaven » Apr 1st, '07, 15:45

OMG! How come no1 recommended Video Girl Ai?!?! It's very good. Also Mahoromatic is brilliant. And Saikano is good too, i saw someone recommend it. Yubisaki Milk Tea is good for all the lolicons in the house! lmao. these are my top recommendations.

my collection includes: A.I. Love You, Chobits, GTO, I's, Japan, Kashimashi, Kodocha, Mahoromatic, Negima, Ranma 1/2, Saikano, Video Girl Ai, Warriors of Tao, Yakitate Japan, and Yubisaki Milk Tea

*sigh* so much of my money is spent on manga, lmao.

kuvli

Post by kuvli » Apr 1st, '07, 15:49

if you're a shoujo reader...i recommend

KOUKOU DEBUT-----definitely really heart-warming...it might pick up slowly but volume 7 and 8 had really approve a lot....just saw the raw chapters which i couldnt read....

VAMPIRE KNIGHT---definitely a must read.....i'm dying to know who will be with who and also the storyline is really good...

MizTsukuura

Post by MizTsukuura » Apr 3rd, '07, 10:16

ummmmmm.. i'm not a book/comic-person very much, hehe.
but i remember i've read Doraemon, Candy Candy, Rose of Versailes, Kobo-chan, sailor moon, mari-chan. also sum non-series mangas such as Lady Mitsuko,etc. i dun really remember the titles. plus, most of them already translated... :roll :whistling:

skachild

Post by skachild » Apr 3rd, '07, 10:29

bleach...?? :whistling:

xkawaiix

Post by xkawaiix » Apr 7th, '07, 16:49

BLEACH BLEACH BLEACH!!! WHOO HOO!!!!

wuff

Post by wuff » Apr 8th, '07, 12:54

my first one was akuma de sorou, which I read from the first page till the last one. my favourite ones are by Mayu Shinjo :lol but Koukou Debut and B.O.D.Y are also very good. :D

meikei

Post by meikei » Apr 8th, '07, 18:04

If you like shoujo then you would like Parfait Tic, Perfect Girl Evolution, and Penguin Brothers. Nervous Venus is also very good, but it has a deeper plot.

princess_jime

Post by princess_jime » Apr 8th, '07, 23:26

Keeper of hells gate2 wrote: 6)Inuyasha Yep, thats right Inuyasha. One day - One Day - It has to happen - doesn't it - they will defeat Naraku - I has to happen, doesn't it?
Bwahahahahahaahha!!!! :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol That cracked me up!
But seriously, It does look like that's never gonna happen... Takahashi-sensei is taking her sweet time, ne?

Oh, and I recommend Ghost in the Shell. It was my first manga. I HAD to own it.
Well, I recommend anything by Masamune Shirow.

Sammystic

Post by Sammystic » Apr 9th, '07, 01:44

I'd definitely recommend Tokyo Crazy Paradise because it has everything, great plot and art, humor, love, hate, interesting characters, yakuza... what else does a good manga need :mrgreen:

others: Perfect Girl Evolution, Skip Beat (by the same person that did TCP), Vampire Knight (also Merupuri from the same mangaka).

Korean manhwas: Goong (better than the drama IMO), Hot Blooded Woman, The Bride Of The Water God, You're So Cool

oguri-kun

Post by oguri-kun » Apr 12th, '07, 14:55

Nana , Parakiss, Naruto , Yakitate-ja-pan ... ^^

xkawaiix

Post by xkawaiix » Apr 12th, '07, 18:19

NARUTO AND BLEACH!!!! WHOOOOO HOOOOO!!!! :lol

miso_soup

Post by miso_soup » Apr 30th, '07, 00:48

kuvli wrote:if you're a shoujo reader...i recommend

VAMPIRE KNIGHT---definitely a must read.....i'm dying to know who will be with who and also the storyline is really good...
I totally agree! It's SUCH an addictive read and I'm dying to know the end... say, where did you get the scans from? I've been trying to locate a set of the manga but I've only gotten up to volume 4... I heard that volume 5 is out, but I'm having a hard time getting my hands on the acutal book... just wondered if you knew were I could get it online (so that I don't have to die of anxiety...) ;)

-miso_soup

weylin

Post by weylin » Apr 30th, '07, 04:25

It depends what you like.

If you like shonen without violence, I would recommend "Hikaru no Go" . Hikaru is a little boy, who have a ghost with him. And of course, the ghost only want to play Go :lol . Sounds boring? But it isn't! It's marvelous story.

If you like sports, I recommend Hajime no Ippo. The story tells about hard working boy, who is bullied in his whole life. Someday god turn tables and he becomes boxer. And a really good one! He gets some good (and weird) friends. I have to warn you: there is some pervert jokes. But, it doesn't mean that you can't like that. I'm a girl and proud fan of HnI :cheers: .

But! If you like cute boys, Prince of tennis is good choice. You can tell from name that it's all about tennis 8) . The main character is already 'the best' so you can focus on others. And I highly recommend musicals!

And of course, Saiyuki. How come nobody is mentioned this one? This one is pure fantasy. Well, they have gold credit card.. This is about youkai (demons) and humans. Demons are went berserk, because of some weird experiment. They are killing and eating people. So the low moral, drinking, shooting and smoking Buddhist monk with his 3 youkai companies (and a dragon) have to save a world. Although, they don't give a damn about other people problems.

Story isn't clear fighting between bad and good. Maybe I can say, that It's focused on bond of friendship. When I read about Goku and Sanzo, I have feeling "Awww, how sweet" :lol

buzz_buzz

Post by buzz_buzz » May 1st, '07, 13:52

I recommend:
Fruits Basket
Hana Kimi
Girl Got Game
Meru Peru
but I think u should check out the ones in red...

brixtan

Post by brixtan » May 4th, '07, 15:00

DEATH NOTE!!!!

its a must!