[Discussion] Long Vacation

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
toyotaku

[Discussion] Long Vacation

Post by toyotaku » Apr 9th, '06, 08:21

While I was working on screencaptures I realized it's coming up on the 10th anniversary of a classic. <i>Long Vacation</i> began its run ten years ago this upcoming Saturday (April 15).

Where <i>do</i> the years go??? :blink

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Apr 10th, '06, 03:12

This was the second jdrama I ever watched, ah brings back memories :)

rico2001
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by rico2001 » Apr 10th, '06, 03:18

my second too after gto, and its my all time favorite jdrama. :-)

yt_toshi
Virgin Islands (USA)

Post by yt_toshi » Apr 10th, '06, 03:25

One my favorite Jdrama's that I still watch from time to time :-)
I wonder if Fuji TV has any reunion plans for this drama to commemorate it's 10 year anniversary :scratchchin:

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Apr 10th, '06, 03:37

rico2001 wrote:my second too after gto, and its my all time favorite jdrama. :-)
GTO was my first too,

1. GTO
2. Long Vacation
3. Love Generation

those 3 started my slide into jdorama addiction. :-)

massaru
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by massaru » Apr 10th, '06, 03:55

Saw a few dramas back in 91 when I was in Japan but ended up watching Long Vacation through some VHS tapes my mom sent me when she was in Japan and I had already come back to Brazil.

Well, so it wasn`t my first drama but certainly the 1st memorable one. :-)

Saw Matsu Takako on Domoto Kyoudai recently and I have to say she looked prettier than ever :wub:

jayph

Post by jayph » Apr 10th, '06, 03:57

ahh memories :cry:

albertoavena

Post by albertoavena » Apr 10th, '06, 20:23

I actually just recently started watching this drama. It is interesting, but, I don't know what to think of it. Kind of different from other dramas I've seen. Maybe because it's a little old. Everybody smokes in that drama. :crazy:

awrittensin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by awrittensin » Apr 10th, '06, 20:29

LV was my second drama ever, too. My first was Seikei Bijin. LV holds a very special place in my heart, as cheesy as that sounds. I rewatch it from time to time as well. Whenever I need a great summertime drama, I always watch LV - it makes me feel so nostalgic and carefree.

Yamaguchi Tomoko and Kimutaku had amazing chemistry, too. That's a hard thing to find on TV nowadays!
Everybody smokes in that drama.
That's because Japan is a bit behind the times on smoking... I've watched a few dramas where they were smoking inside the hospitals. :blink Smoking is still elegant and cool there, I suppose. (Of course there are many Japanese who don't smoke as well, just like any country.)

CraZyaH
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by CraZyaH » Apr 10th, '06, 20:33

Ruroshin wrote:This was the second jdrama I ever watched, ah brings back memories :)
mine too! my first was that total-waste-of-time-and-space- S.O.S

LV was the reason I got so addicted to Jdorama XD!!!

Gir

Post by Gir » Apr 11th, '06, 03:26

awrittensin wrote:LV was my second drama ever, too. My first was Seikei Bijin. LV holds a very special place in my heart, as cheesy as that sounds. I rewatch it from time to time as well. Whenever I need a great summertime drama, I always watch LV - it makes me feel so nostalgic and carefree.

Yamaguchi Tomoko and Kimutaku had amazing chemistry, too. That's a hard thing to find on TV nowadays!
Everybody smokes in that drama.
That's because Japan is a bit behind the times on smoking... I've watched a few dramas where they were smoking inside the hospitals. :blink Smoking is still elegant and cool there, I suppose. (Of course there are many Japanese who don't smoke as well, just like any country.)
Long Vactaion is probably my favorite drama, and has put Yamaguchi up there as my favorite actress after just one show.

On the smoking, this show is from 10 years ago, I went to Japan for a vacation in '98 and there was a lot of smoking going on all around us, then I was back there 3 years ago and I noticed that there seemed to be less smoking and a lot more "no smoking" signs around. So it seems that smoking could be on the down slide there.

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Apr 11th, '06, 05:08

^ same here... when I went back about a year ago, I actually saw some young punk try to take the head off this old, drunken salaryman for smoking in his vicinity. He actually threw a couple kicks at old guy... :blink The kid was going off about how the second hand smoke was poisoning HIM and was creating a health hazard and whatnot... I guess that PSA campaign Japan ran a couple years back really had an effect! ^_^;;;
Back when I was working at my old company a few years ago, all my Japanese coworkers quit smoking or were in the process of quitting too... The tide is turning... :fear:

As for Long Vacation, I'd been watching dramas for awhile, but it stands out in my memory b/c it was the first one I saw where there was no "bad guy" type of character or character you really just wanted to smack HARD for being such a jerk/idiot. :lol
Of course the music and chemistry b/w all the actors didn't hurt either... :p

i3lu3fun

Post by i3lu3fun » Apr 11th, '06, 20:18

Love this drama, definately one of my favourite. Great OST n superb performance from all the cast. Sudenlly felt like re-watching it again. waa... but i'm too busy with my assignments :(.

toyotaku

Post by toyotaku » Apr 11th, '06, 22:29

i3lu3fun wrote:Sudenlly felt like re-watching it again. waa... but i'm too busy with my assignments :(.
But you need to take breaks in between assignments to keep your brain refreshed, to let it play & have some fun. Sounds like the perfect time to squeeze in an episode... you zip through the assignments and you get through the drama.

No? :lol

SnWa

Post by SnWa » Apr 12th, '06, 01:53

I can say that Long Vacation was also my second jdrama. The first was Beautiful Life.

The first shows you that there's something there; the second that it wasn't a fluke. :lol

groink

Post by groink » Apr 12th, '06, 02:07

Long Vacation? I already watched hundreds of dramas before I came across this one in 1997. It could have been the second drama starring Kimura-san that I've ever seen (first one was Jinsei wa Jojo da in 1996) It was definitely one of the better trendy dramas of the Golden Era (late 1980's to late 1990's), although there were better ones that Long Vacation IMHO (Hoshi no Kinka, Hitotsu Yane no Shita, among others.) Keep in mind that 1997 was also the year SMAP really became a staple in the industry (and Johnny Jimsho's start of its monopoly in the geinokai), so the group's popularity definitely had an effect on the popularity of its members' projects, including Long Vacation.

--- groink

ironicwave
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ironicwave » May 1st, '06, 00:37

i watched long vacation in a rush of kimura-fever and ended up completely adoring yamaguchi tomoko...
when i remember kimura's leading ladies, i've always preferred her over the others, their combination was just magic and they still make my favorite onscreen couple for j drama...

zindaka

Post by zindaka » Jul 28th, '06, 16:39

Just finisehd this drama. i saw on jdorama.com that this is a special for this series, is that true?

oppa92

Post by oppa92 » Jul 29th, '06, 04:10

i love this drama so much..their theme song also great

this drama is the reason why i love watching jdrama so much

btw..yeah it's been a long time though

20centuryboy

Post by 20centuryboy » Jul 29th, '06, 19:25

Ruroshin wrote:
rico2001 wrote:my second too after gto, and its my all time favorite jdrama. :-)
GTO was my first too,

1. GTO
2. Long Vacation
3. Love Generation

GTO was my first drama too. BUt Long vacation was the first drama I watched 3 times in a row... :blink followed by Orange days and Beautiful life... And then I realised someone actually wroted those stories. :wub:

Kimutaku is not so much his self caricature in this one... nice! Yamaguchi Tomoko is just so lovely and Ryoko Hirosue looks like a baby rackoon.

oldasianguy

Post by oldasianguy » Jul 29th, '06, 20:20

Long Vacation and Beautiful life were the two dramas that got me started watching Jdoramas........As to the issue of smoking on screen, I just by coincidently re-watched
"Engine"(2005) last night and Kimura Takuya didn't light up once while on screen...He did pop a
cig in his mouth about a half a dozen times but didn't light up for various reasons...I thought
that was interesting....as I guess some Asian countries (including Japan) are realizing that
tobacco is not the best for one's health.....

zindaka

Post by zindaka » Jul 30th, '06, 06:38

20centuryboy wrote:
Ruroshin wrote:
GTO was my first too,

1. GTO
2. Long Vacation
3. Love Generation

GTO was my first drama too. BUt Long vacation was the first drama I watched 3 times in a row... :blink followed by Orange days and Beautiful life... And then I realised someone actually wroted those stories. :wub:

Kimutaku is not so much his self caricature in this one... nice! Yamaguchi Tomoko is just so lovely and Ryoko Hirosue looks like a baby rackoon.
when ever i see people talk about long vacation, i always see the mentioning of Love generation, granted they have the same actors. But is love generation really that good ( havent watched it yet), im just wondering. also, is there a good quality version of lover generation out their something clsoe to 480x640? i think on this site is 360x240. or is this version still good?

Sakari

Post by Sakari » Jul 30th, '06, 17:56

Out of some 30 JDramas I have watched, Long Vacation is definitely my favorite. The plot is good, the entire cast is good; then, there is the unforgettable pairing of Tomoko Yamaguchi and Takuya Kimura. Favorite lines:

TY to TK: "Sena-kun! Ayrton Sena-kun!"

TK to TY: "Are you a woman?"

Their kisses must be the hottest ever seen in JDramas. They seem literally "hungry for each other"...

Outside of TY, few actresses look like a match for TK. It's funny, really - in Good Luck, say, it's not Kou Shibasaki that should be paired with him. It's Hitomi Kuroki.... :-)

20centuryboy

Post by 20centuryboy » Jul 30th, '06, 18:28

zindaka wrote:[when ever i see people talk about long vacation, i always see the mentioning of Love generation, granted they have the same actors.
Exept for Kimutaku, I don't see any other actors in common.

Sakari

Post by Sakari » Jul 31st, '06, 05:19

20centuryboy wrote:
zindaka wrote:[when ever i see people talk about long vacation, i always see the mentioning of Love generation, granted they have the same actors.
Exept for Kimutaku, I don't see any other actors in common.
Ermmm... You mean you missed Takako Matsu? I thought she was pretty noticeable in both dramas.

ainangst

Post by ainangst » Jul 31st, '06, 06:27

aaa..long vacation...
the drama that started it all for me.
i've watched it countless of times & never get bored
still tops my list.

btw, imo, I don't think Love Generation is that good.

sadgirl

Post by sadgirl » Aug 2nd, '06, 21:51

This show may have debut over 10 years ago but I've only just finished watching it a few days ago. I've only just got addicted to watching asian dramas and I must say, among the 6-7 dramas I've seen, Long Vacation is by far the best. It's got a great beginning, a great middle and a great ending. You know it's a great series when the credits start rolling for the last episode and you think to yourself: "I wanna watch this all over again!"

kaname

Post by kaname » Aug 2nd, '06, 21:56

This was my first drama and it eventually lead me here...10 years who woulda thunk it...

oldasianguy

Post by oldasianguy » Aug 2nd, '06, 22:11

sadgirl:
I hoped that you watched the video all the way thru the credits, as right after the credits, there is a little bit more of them in Boston just before they get married! (Last Episode)

makoReactor

Post by makoReactor » Aug 2nd, '06, 22:27

Hahaha just like most people here, it was one of my firsts as well. Kimura Takuya and the lovley Yamaguchi Tomoko where a perfect match. I think this was Kimura Takuya 2nd best dorama, close behind Good Luck! :)

fu22bu22

Post by fu22bu22 » Aug 2nd, '06, 22:28

Long Vacation is absolutely one of the greatest dorama's I've seen so far ... that one got me hooked to japanese drama series, those were some good ol' times ... :roll

- Long Vacation
- Love Generation
- GTO

:cheers:

sadgirl

Post by sadgirl » Aug 2nd, '06, 23:59

oldasianguy wrote:sadgirl:
I hoped that you watched the video all the way thru the credits, as right after the credits, there is a little bit more of them in Boston just before they get married! (Last Episode)
Yep, I did! It was a very, very good ending... and the final kiss right before the credits started rolling was nice :lol (unlike the total anti-climatic kisses in Kdramas)

Sana

Post by Sana » Aug 3rd, '06, 00:54

They weren't really in Boston. I forget where exactly but I think it was London.

insyte

Post by insyte » Aug 3rd, '06, 09:18

I watched Long Vacation to cheer myself up after watching Summer Snow (which made me very sad) :) Perfect combo :)

rambutan
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by rambutan » Aug 3rd, '06, 09:30

Agreed. LV is my top fave Jp drama.

mikomi

Post by mikomi » Aug 3rd, '06, 13:22

I guess my experience with Long Vacation is different from most members here. Long Vacation was among some of the very first shows I ever downloaded, together with GTO and Summer Snow, yet it was one that I kept on pushing back. Actually, I never got to finish the series until some month ago. The reason? Well, the 1st 15 minutes of the 1st episode was sort of weird to me, since a year and a half ago, I didn't even like Jdramas. But one random day, I gave it a try, and boy, I am glad I did. It was simply brilliant, the acting, the directing, the story, everything was excellent. Right after I finished it, I knew it had become my new favorite. My respect for the scriptwriter of this drama also deepened when I knew she also wrote the scripts for many of my fav. shows like Orange Days, Say you love me, Overtime...

auroragb

Post by auroragb » Aug 3rd, '06, 13:56

Indeed, a true classic. Not sure if it was the first j-drama that I ever watched, but it was definitely the first one I really remembered. After that, I was hooked ever since

Yukster

Post by Yukster » Aug 4th, '06, 09:13

I feel that Long Vacation is going to end up as one of the "classics" of Japanese dramas.

It is not the first drama I watched, but it is one of my favorites. A fine example of the "Golden Era" of Japanese dramas. Another one that falls into that same category is "Virgin Road."

alaina

shame on me!

Post by alaina » Aug 7th, '06, 19:19

im sorry guys, but i have to ask this, where can i download long vacation? i dont think its in d-addicts torrent... just watched pride last last week, and im still in my crazy mood.. so i need to watch this drama.... the only cure to this state of mine is to have enough of takuya kimura... thanks...

SnWa

Re: shame on me!

Post by SnWa » Aug 9th, '06, 01:00

alaina wrote:im sorry guys, but i have to ask this, where can i download long vacation? i dont think its in d-addicts torrent... just watched pride last last week, and im still in my crazy mood.. so i need to watch this drama.... the only cure to this state of mine is to have enough of takuya kimura... thanks...
If you look at the sidebar on this site's main page, you'll see "Japan-TV" under "Drama Sites". Follow that and look for the bittorrent search. You should end up with this URL:
http://jtv-tracker.clubbed.org/index.ph ... g+vacation
Enjoy! :-)

berserk

Post by berserk » Aug 29th, '06, 11:48

Anyone know if "Long Vacation" had a special episode? I read on some LV fan site that there were "11 episodes + 1 special."

By the way, I found this clip of some Taiwanese student playing Sena's song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=861RYj0RBb8

Sakari

Post by Sakari » Sep 26th, '06, 07:50

Sakari wrote:
TY to TK: "Sena-kun! Ayrton Sena-kun!"
Someone might have missed this non-Japanese reference... Ayrton Senna was the famous Brazilian Formula One racing driver who died at Imola in 1994. TY/Minami is playing with TK/Sena's family name.

Another JDrama Formula One reference: when Norika Fujiwara does a car commercial in Star no Koi, she wears overalls marked "M. SCHUMACHER".

Akiramike
Fansubber
Fansubber
Australia

Post by Akiramike » Sep 27th, '06, 09:37

I gotta say, I loved smoking when watching the old KimuTaku doramas. :)

mini_kyo

Post by mini_kyo » Sep 28th, '06, 03:13

Long Vacation,,,,my most fave jdrama ever :w00t:
i like the chemistry between TY & TK in LV
the story line and the ending is sooooooo romantic hehehehe
i like the soundtrack also,,,so sweet

yanaliao

Post by yanaliao » Sep 18th, '07, 04:00

Hi! I'm so addicted to Long Vacation right now even though I've watched it for 4 times. It is my first jdorama and the reason why I got hooked with Takuya Kimura... anyways... I saw this website that said that it has 1 SPECIAL, so I would think there's a continuation after the wedding?

http://www.nt2099.com/LV/lv2.html

Content:
Long Vacation perhaps ranks as one of the best modern doramas in Japan of all time. Long Vacation featured an all-star cast and consisted of 11 episodes, 1 special, 5 official soundtracks, many other LV albums and singles, a few books and caused an unusual trend/fad in Japan. The following are words and images back in April 1996 when Long Vacation first aired. If you want to add something on this homepage, feel free to ask and I'll put your words or images on this homepage.

http://www.sempai.org/~mwduncan/long_vacation.shtml

Content:
Starring: Kimura Takuya, Yamaguchi Tomoko, Inamori Izumi, Takenouchi Yutaka, Matsu Takako, Ryo, Hirosue Ryoko and more.ka. Shinna Kippei, etc..

Theme Song: La La La Love Song by Toshinobu Kubota with Naomi Campbell.

Network: FUJI TV

Duration: April 15, 1996 through June 24, 1996. 11 episode + 1 special.

Recommendation: This is my #1 favorite dorama.

So I guess there's really an SP?

anime76

Post by anime76 » Sep 19th, '07, 16:21

i love LV. The pairing was great - good chemistry & great kissing scenes. not too sweet & not too cheesy. Great paino pieces too!

I'm so happy that i got to watch it early this year. It prompted me to finally watch Pride!.

toyotaku

Post by toyotaku » Sep 19th, '07, 18:45

yanaliao wrote:Hi! I'm so addicted to Long Vacation right now even though I've watched it for 4 times. It is my first jdorama and the reason why I got hooked with Takuya Kimura... anyways... I saw this website that said that it has 1 SPECIAL, so I would think there's a continuation after the wedding?

http://www.nt2099.com/LV/lv2.html

Content:
Long Vacation perhaps ranks as one of the best modern doramas in Japan of all time. Long Vacation featured an all-star cast and consisted of 11 episodes, 1 special, 5 official soundtracks, many other LV albums and singles, a few books and caused an unusual trend/fad in Japan. The following are words and images back in April 1996 when Long Vacation first aired. If you want to add something on this homepage, feel free to ask and I'll put your words or images on this homepage.

http://www.sempai.org/~mwduncan/long_vacation.shtml

Content:
Starring: Kimura Takuya, Yamaguchi Tomoko, Inamori Izumi, Takenouchi Yutaka, Matsu Takako, Ryo, Hirosue Ryoko and more.ka. Shinna Kippei, etc..

Theme Song: La La La Love Song by Toshinobu Kubota with Naomi Campbell.

Network: FUJI TV

Duration: April 15, 1996 through June 24, 1996. 11 episode + 1 special.

Recommendation: This is my #1 favorite dorama.

So I guess there's really an SP?
If you read further down the page of the first site you linked you'll find:
  • Log Entry: October 7, 1996: Today was the Long Vacation special. It featured new footage of Junko and Sasaki but pretty much the whole series edited into a 2 hour special. It was nice to see this to remember the drama.
It may not be around because it sounds like it's more of a recap than anything new.

neuhikari

Post by neuhikari » May 5th, '08, 06:56

In that drama Kimura Takuya was so young. But I really iked the drama It was worth to watch it.

sexy_kakashi

Post by sexy_kakashi » May 8th, '08, 16:29

ahhh, so nostalgic...the first dorama that got me hooked on kimutaku and j-dorama.
still ranked as no 1 all-time favourite drama~

Pnoy11

Post by Pnoy11 » May 11th, '08, 20:13

My favorite jdrama!

joykimlee

Post by joykimlee » May 11th, '08, 21:37

So it's bn 12 yrs since my first jdrama n watched it without subs! Found it a lil slow but still luved it at tat time eventho i didnt understand a word. Maybe i shld consider re-watching it again with eng subs.

snow_of_dawn

Post by snow_of_dawn » Jul 23rd, '08, 19:33

I lately watched LV and really liked it, altough i hesitated 2 watch it 4 a long time bec i wasn't really attracted 2 the story, but i have 2 admit that was one nice story that i greatly enjoyed and a very rare one too, i mean there aren't many dramas where the 2 main characters have a 7 year gap between them. I was actually surprised that i liked the female lead concidering that i really thought her character was silly. And though i think Yamaguchi is not pretty (esp if u compare her 2 KimuTaku :P) i have 2 admit she played her character well.
All in all, i really liked this drama especially the script which was perfectly written, there were a lot of scenes which i couldn't stop laughing especially scenes in which the 2 were fighting.

Charismaho

Post by Charismaho » Aug 18th, '08, 16:20

I just finished watching Long Vacation earlier. I thought it was an okay drama. Not terrible, not over the top great. Long Vacation does have an awesome OST though.

Does Long Vacation have a SP? I didn't even know. I wouldn't mind watching it if it's available somewhere on the net.

plain_love

Post by plain_love » Nov 24th, '08, 09:47

ooooh there's a thread for Long Vacation, my favorite jdorama ever. This dorama is sooo great, i watched it 5 times already and i never bored

ainhoa

Post by ainhoa » Nov 25th, '08, 02:17

best drama ever.

garnet07

Post by garnet07 » Nov 26th, '08, 23:10

I dont know if you can consider it a jdorama but my first one is Sailormoon Live Action. But if that doesn't count, then my first one is Beautiful Life and 2nd is Long Vacation. This was back when the only site I knew of having Asian Dramas was Jem torrents. Anyways, with those 2 dramas, I totally became a Kimutaku fan and still am. :wub:

As for the Japanese smoking too much, some of my coworkers who visited Japan this summer said that they saw cigarettes being sold in vending machines as if they were just candies without any supervision. No wonder just about everybody seem to like smoking in jdoramas. :blink

scherzando

Post by scherzando » Jan 4th, '09, 13:22

Yep. Best dorama ever. It's a classic, really.. I've watched the whole thing more than four times, I guess. LOVE it. It was the dorama that got me started with the whole dorama fandom and also the one that made me a KimuTaku fan, until now. =) The chemistry between the characters, the story, the theme song.. Ah.. *nostalgic* La la la Love Song is still one of the most played songs on my iPod.. :p

javinian

Post by javinian » Jan 13th, '09, 18:18

Ruroshin wrote:This was the second jdrama I ever watched, ah brings back memories :)
Brought to most of us by JTV team!

mokudekiru

Post by mokudekiru » Jan 14th, '09, 08:33

I actually just finished LV for the first time. I saw the beginning of the first episode in Japan with my friend a couple years ago (on VHS!!) but never got around to watching the rest, mostly since I never found a good version of it. I finally broke down and just watched it on mysoju last week and man was it good. KimuTaku was so young and fresh, and like everyone said the chemistry was amazing. It is actually really charming now how dated it kind of looks...cute and 90's.

So I guess it was my 44th drama, not first or second like everyone else here >_< but nonetheless very awesome.

One of my favorite things about the show was how small the set of characters was, and how intertwined they all were. It seemed like everyone worked with everyone, everyone lived with everyone, and everyone fell in love with everyone -- all combinations were explored! Just to hash out exactly what went down, I decided to make a graph of it:

http://mokudekiru.com/longvacation.png

Jazzl

Post by Jazzl » Jan 14th, '09, 08:45

I love Longe Vacation.
It was my fourth or fifth drama and the second one with Kimura Takuya.

PiaHawk

Post by PiaHawk » Jan 26th, '09, 01:23

mokudekiru wrote:Just to hash out exactly what went down, I decided to make a graph of it:

http://mokudekiru.com/longvacation.png
haha that's awesome!

LV is definitely my fave romantic drama. Kimura always has great chemistry with his costars; I think that's rare for a Japanese actor.

vancoland

Post by vancoland » Oct 17th, '11, 13:17

Back from the dead.

So I finally got around to watching this drama, after putting it off because it seems very old. And also because I didn't realize all the monster ratings Kimura Takuya dramas were getting. I'm on the second ep but it's already irking me. I'm sure some of you put this as your favorite j-drama, but his character in the second ep is a pansy.
During his "date" he let a drunk b**** basically trample all over his date, basically waving a love motel coupon in front of her and calling the girl a slut. I'm pretty sure during that era in Japan, it was ok to hit Yamaguchi Tomoko's character, and I would have respected him more for doing so. I might not have gone to that extreme but I certainly wouldn't have just sat there and watched my "girl" cry and leave. Then the next day, he basically takes her back into his home and has a beer with her, with no apology whatsoever. She's a freeloader and just degraded my date. At this point, I'm pretty sure I don't want to see her again, let alone have a future relationship with the girl.
Who knows, maybe the future episodes will bring some magic that will make this a reasonably good drama. But with that scenario in there, I don't think this will make my top j-drama list.

RetroHelix
Germany

Post by RetroHelix » Oct 18th, '11, 18:22

vancoland wrote: I'm on the second ep but it's already irking me. I'm sure some of you put this as your favorite j-drama, but his character in the second ep is a pansy.
During his "date" he let a drunk b**** basically trample all over his date, basically waving a love motel coupon in front of her and calling the girl a slut. I'm pretty sure during that era in Japan, it was ok to hit Yamaguchi Tomoko's character, and I would have respected him more for doing so. I might not have gone to that extreme but I certainly wouldn't have just sat there and watched my "girl" cry and leave. Then the next day, he basically takes her back into his home and has a beer with her, with no apology whatsoever. She's a freeloader and just degraded my date. At this point, I'm pretty sure I don't want to see her again, let alone have a future relationship with the girl.
I remember this scene...
...and although Minami went way over the top I do not think it would have been a reason to hit a her (or any woman in particular). Sure most people would have acted harsh but I think its just Sena's character that lets him not act so impulsive. For the apology... Minami was very insensitive and rude but he said some terrible things to her too. So coming to him, not interrupting his play and giving him a bear goes as an apology of sorts for me.
Just think about living with someone (a woman in this case - hard to understand for a man anyway) in a shared apartment. You try to get along with each other even if you had a quarrel. That's what I think about this situation but all people are different :-)

EDIT: Keep on watching!

vancoland

Post by vancoland » Oct 19th, '11, 00:51

RetroHelix wrote:
vancoland wrote: I'm on the second ep but it's already irking me. I'm sure some of you put this as your favorite j-drama, but his character in the second ep is a pansy.
I remember this scene...
...and although Minami went way over the top I do not think it would have been a reason to hit a her (or any woman in particular). Sure most people would have acted harsh but I think its just Sena's character that lets him not act so impulsive. For the apology... Minami was very insensitive and rude but he said some terrible things to her too. So coming to him, not interrupting his play and giving him a bear goes as an apology of sorts for me.
Just think about living with someone (a woman in this case - hard to understand for a man anyway) in a shared apartment. You try to get along with each other even if you had a quarrel. That's what I think about this situation but all people are different :-)

EDIT: Keep on watching!
I'm definitely going to keep watching as this drama is rated really high. And I guess I understand your reasoning on why Sena acted that way. I guess I'm just disappointed in that incident knowing the outcome of their relationship. I could never see myself with that kind of girl after that.

It's a big difference between Kimura Takuya's character in this series and his role in Beautiful Life
During the scene in Beautiful LIfe where Mayumi (Shuji's ex girlfriend) called Kyoko's collage of hairstyles childish and stupid, basically acting really jealous, Shuji gave her a slap (which was surprising to me too). Now if that warranted a slap, calling your girl a slut and being belligerent deserves one 10x as much. I'm not saying I would do it, but during that era, I wouldn't be surprised.

JackBauer2424

Re: [Discussion] Long Vacation... It's been almost ten years

Post by JackBauer2424 » Jun 30th, '15, 05:40

I was originally prejudiced against Minami because she wasn't as pretty as Matsu Takako, but her character's kind heart and playfulness redeemed her.

lenrasoon

Re: [Discussion] Long Vacation

Post by lenrasoon » Oct 17th, '15, 16:53

I just finished this drama like 2 days ago and its pretty great imo, i'm glad i gave it a chance (though 19 years later) because it became one of my favorites jdramas ever, i loved all the characters and the music was cute too.

TimeCompression
Brazil

Post by TimeCompression » Oct 17th, '15, 18:33

lenrasoon wrote:I just finished this drama like 2 days ago and its pretty great imo, i'm glad i gave it a chance (though 19 years later) because it became one of my favorites jdramas ever, i loved all the characters and the music was cute too.
Coincidentally I also finished watching this two days ago... but it was my second time :-)
It is also one of my favorites and I wanted to rewatch it. It is still great :thumright:

lenrasoon

Post by lenrasoon » Oct 18th, '15, 03:24

TimeCompression wrote:
lenrasoon wrote:I just finished this drama like 2 days ago and its pretty great imo, i'm glad i gave it a chance (though 19 years later) because it became one of my favorites jdramas ever, i loved all the characters and the music was cute too.
Coincidentally I also finished watching this two days ago... but it was my second time :-)
It is also one of my favorites and I wanted to rewatch it. It is still great :thumright:
I see you're from Brazil too! hello fellow Brazilian :salut:

I'm pretty sure i'm going to rewatch this soon haha just because i really love it, but right now I'm about to start with Love Generation because of the two actors from Long vacation are also there.

TimeCompression
Brazil

Post by TimeCompression » Oct 18th, '15, 08:04

lenrasoon wrote: I see you're from Brazil too! hello fellow Brazilian :salut:

I'm pretty sure i'm going to rewatch this soon haha just because i really love it, but right now I'm about to start with Love Generation because of the two actors from Long vacation are also there.
Hello fellow Brazilian! Where do you people hide IRL? :lol
I'm a huge fan of Takako Matsu and Kimura Takuya haha
Love Generation also has songs by the same group (CAGNET), so you'll probably like them too :-)
I didn't enjoy Love Generation not nearly as much as I enjoyed Long Vacation but it is still a good drama.

JackBauer2424

Post by JackBauer2424 » Oct 20th, '15, 05:09

CAGNET is fantastic! I bought the Long Vacation purple soundtrack and Love Generation soundtrack. Too bad can't buy the digital songs via iTunes. Amazon has some covers of their songs.

I also bought a Section-S CD that has some songs from those two dramas. Daisuke Hinata is also good.

RetroHelix
Germany

Post by RetroHelix » May 24th, '19, 16:58

Does anyone know how to contact Japan-TV the team that subbed Long Vacation?

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » May 24th, '19, 18:57

RetroHelix wrote: May 24th, '19, 16:58 Does anyone know how to contact Japan-TV the team that subbed Long Vacation?
Search members name here on the forum or Google.
FansubWiki doesn't have much info. Did some Googling but couldn't find a website.

in2sky
Japan

Post by in2sky » Jun 28th, '19, 16:42

Motivated by the thread, I decided to rewatch Long Vacation!
Natsukashii!!!

sukida
Liechtenstein

Post by sukida » Sep 2nd, '19, 23:59

I wonder what makes something have a classic feel. Is it just that it was one I watched a long time ago? Or as in LV because it launched all those acting careers? Or because it had a specific feel? Or because of its music?

Or popular?

I just watched a few episodes of Yamato Nadeshiko (jem) and it felt classic, even though (1) overused comedy (2) insert music annoying (3) (spoiler)-san >> (spoiler)-san.

I'd be interested in knowing what all that golden age stuff means too. And what trendy drama means. Is >y2k either?