Proud or embarrassed at your addiction to Drama?

Discuss about anything here that doesn't fit in the other categories. Just don't spam.
joeboygo

Post by joeboygo » Jul 8th, '06, 20:05

I'm embarrassed to admit I watch Korean dramas. On the other hand, I don't mind letting people know I like Japanese dramas. I'm still trying to figure out why that is so. Is it just me, or are there others out there with this situation?

SSJSubgeta
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by SSJSubgeta » Jul 8th, '06, 20:23

Its is kind of embarrasing saying it. But thats because is not mainstream, its more like Underground like anime was back in the early days. But more people seem to start liking them more.

I can personaly say i was embarrased, but not anymore. I enjoy my Jdoramas, Jpop, Anime, and Hello! Project!

GhstDreamer

Post by GhstDreamer » Jul 8th, '06, 22:43

lilswtangel wrote:definitely not ashamed or embarrassed. I guess you can call it pride......but mostly, I'm ecstatic about my drama collection.

I've been addicted to Asian dramas since I was able to coherently understand Chinese (I think around 3-4 years old). My parents have been renting TVB dramas years before I was even born so it just became a daily (more like nightly) routine to eat dinner and afix our eyes to the screen.........we call it "bo dai" :whistling:
My family and I used to do that too - I had a lot of fun doing that. Mostly we used watch it right after dinner and sometimes if we're all addicted to a TVB series, we would stay up unitl 3 or 4 am in the morning - even if I had school the next day!

Since I'm Asian I don't see how it would be embarassing for me - I tell people I watch Asian shows and listen to Asian music (I even played Gackt songs in my classroom! - of course the students weren't in there at the time ^__^) The only thing I don't really tell people is that I'm pretty much a videogame junkie - I was kind of embarassed when my students found out I play more video games than they do.

OvertheRainbow

Post by OvertheRainbow » Jul 8th, '06, 22:47

lilswtangel wrote:definitely not ashamed or embarrassed. I guess you can call it pride......but mostly, I'm ecstatic about my drama collection.

I've been addicted to Asian dramas since I was able to coherently understand Chinese (I think around 3-4 years old). My parents have been renting TVB dramas years before I was even born so it just became a daily (more like nightly) routine to eat dinner and afix our eyes to the screen.........we call it "bo dai" :whistling:
Same here!!!! :lol :lol. My dad rents tons of them since there's a video rental store that is like a block away from our house. We would have tons of tapeslying around the VCR. Now that we've moved, it's harder to get the dramas but my dad still finds a way to rent them. He loves TVB dramas, probably cz they're dubbed in Viet but he likes the period dramas with the action :lol. I like it too, just for the clothes instead.

mister

Post by mister » Jul 8th, '06, 22:51

OvertheRainbow wrote:

Same here!!!! :lol :lol. My dad rents tons of them since there's a video rental store that is like a block away from our house. We would have tons of tapeslying around the VCR. Now that we've moved, it's harder to get the dramas but my dad still finds a way to rent them. He loves TVB dramas, probably cz they're dubbed in Viet but he likes the period dramas with the action :lol. I like it too, just for the clothes instead.
hahahahahah my mom is just the same, there's a video rental store not far from my house hehe :lol

oberon

Post by oberon » Jul 9th, '06, 20:14

I'm also one of the proud ones. I enjoy watching drama and anime and it beats the american stuff anytime. But on the other if someone asked about my hobbies and stuff I propably wouldn't say that I watch drama and anime. Because well I always get a weird look, like they think I'm a nerd or something.

6502inside

Post by 6502inside » Jul 10th, '06, 05:20

not embarrassed at all, I'm a nerd and I like to leave people baffled. If someone asks me about my favorite TV series they'll come to regret it when they hear the answer, just like when they ask about any of my other hobbies.

Nice_spork

Post by Nice_spork » Jul 12th, '06, 20:44

I'm not embarrassed about it at all really, i'm a geek and all of my friends know of my addiction to anime, manga and asian drama's.

It's very rare to find people who even know what asian drama's or even anime/manga is in my area though. :(

afroken

Post by afroken » Jul 12th, '06, 21:03

Both. :roll
I proudly say I love watching drama. But I get a bit embarressed when someone ask what it's about (the storyline) 'cuz I think it sounds a bit cheesy. =_=' But there's such a difference between the TV shows over here and Asian dramas..

But after the summer I probably wont feel embarressed anymore. And I will be able to proudly tell what the storyline is.

But I guess my problem lies more in watching romantic lovey-dovey dramas.

joeboygo
I feel a bit like you too, but I'm more proud to say I enjoy watching Korean or dramas from Taiwan then I am to say I watch Japanese dramas. Maybe 'cuz there's so many ppl addicted to Japan .. I don't know either. :scratch:

seryeplease

Post by seryeplease » Jul 13th, '06, 14:03

nope, im never embarassed about it, why would i be? i like talking about it, besides i have a lot of friends who share the same interest, whenever we have a get together we would go like have you seen this... what do you think of her/him blah blah blah blah regardless of the place we were at. i dont care at all...

Neji-sama

Post by Neji-sama » Jul 13th, '06, 22:24

Not really. I stand for what I like/love.

arvinaty

Post by arvinaty » Jul 14th, '06, 00:55

i'm always proud to announce to whoever i meet that i'm totally addicted to japanese, korean, taiwanese etc dramas. yet that's the reason why people say that i 'm weird or that they dont understand me at all. it's been like hundred times i was being told that my addiction suck or some people plain ignore me. still i've never even thought of denying the truth. for it would be as if i were denying myself. watching dramas - this is me. one can say it kinda characterizes me. dramas are a big PART OF MY LIFE. i love this part, i enjoy it a lot and i'm not ashamed of it, even a bit.

Se7en_Lover

Post by Se7en_Lover » Jul 14th, '06, 00:58

for me i proudly say it ^^ i never actually care wat pplz think of me wen i say it cus i cant help myself anyways i jus love it mainly K-dramas an even though everyone thinks im weird i dont care cus its wat i jus love to do ^^ an its wat mainly interests me

prismatic_star

Post by prismatic_star » Jul 15th, '06, 02:38

I was embarrassed with anime.
But with drama, no. I'm actually proud. At least I can say I adore a real person. ((I do not have anything against otakus))
But I'm not proud in some degree because my parents find it odd that I don't like the bollywood movies or indian soaps (yes, I'm south asian) or liking men from my country. Instead, I fangirl over asian dramas (because their shows are so much better than ours) and you've got some hot looking eyecandy on screen whom are talented in acting.

Oh, I don't mind the stares from my relatives. At least I can chat with my asian friends about the dramas! :mrgreen:

prismatic_star

Post by prismatic_star » Jul 15th, '06, 02:38

Oops. Double post. Sorry.

wishful_thinking

Post by wishful_thinking » Jul 15th, '06, 02:55

at first yeah.. coz when i got here in US.. none of my friends knew about kdramas.. but they've heard of Meteor Garden (since it was a hit in the phils.) and some make a joke out of it... so i didnt talk about it even when i started learning how to dL dramas and collect them...

nweiz.. i met someone who just migrated from the phils and i found out she's a big fan of kdramas.. and she's really proud of it... so i told myself "what d heck?" and i can now say i'm not embarassed watching it.... :lol

kiser

Post by kiser » Jul 15th, '06, 02:59

Not I. My mom and sis were like WTH at first, but now they're always like "are the subs out?" or "Kim Jae Won is so hot!" !

x1monicaaa

Post by x1monicaaa » Jul 16th, '06, 15:13

im proud! everyone knows im addicted to them, so what? i have plenty of friends that are addicted too =D

Karo
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Karo » Jul 17th, '06, 10:51

Well... It's something in between... I think if I say that I watch asian dramas.. I'd say it not like that... hehehe... I'd say... I watch asan TV series... Which isn't wrong.
Drama sounds a bit like... hmmm... a reaaaallllyyyyy cheesy love story with lots of tears and stuff. So I ahve to say it different... But... nobody's asling anyways.. haha... ^^
But I'm proud that I'm watching something that not everyone watches here... ^^

Mum doesn't like ti a lot.. brother doesn't really care.. and sis.. sis is always... changing sides... O.o She's stupid anyways... ^^;

requiem

Post by requiem » Jul 17th, '06, 13:57

I find it easier to admit I watch asian TV shows than anime. I suppose since I live around really closed-minded people, that is a bit easier.

msjj_16

Post by msjj_16 » Jul 17th, '06, 14:33

depends on the group of people you're with.. but i am neither proud nor embarrased... in between... some may understand you and some don't... but i'm not the type who brags or deny that i'm into watching dramas... i really don't mind what they think of me as long as i like what i'm doing...

here in our country (philippines)... it's not hard to find people whom you will get along well specially when it comes to watching drama... it's the "in" thing here.

Sunfire249

Post by Sunfire249 » Jul 18th, '06, 17:46

I'd have to agree with requiem. Whenever I talk to people who I've just met and aren't sure they watch anime or not I say I watch asian dramas, since it's real life people and I'm asian myself so they wouldn't care. To be honest, I'm kinda embarrased to say that I still watch cartoons, 'cause it makes me look like an obsessed person. But it's really strange, I don't have a problem admitting that I like games (Such as PS2 stuff) but I'm emarrased by anime :S Meh.

x_XJules
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by x_XJules » Jul 18th, '06, 23:35

hmm... kind of ashamed. depends on who i'm with i suppose. i'm getting a lot better at it though.

my friends are pretty anti-asian. anything asian is ridiculous to them. not that they're real racists.. just not open-minded to any culture basically. i hid it from them at first just to escape ridicule.. but sometimes i'd leave azureus open and they soon found out. at first they were like, are you downloading that anime crap again? and i'd explain it wasn't anime it was live-action tv series.. blah blah blah.. took them a year to finally understand it wasn't anime.

i have one friend though who is totally okay with it since she has been into anime for years and years and years, and has a love for japan. so i'd go on and on and on to her about it.

once i became a fan girl though... whew.. not so ashamed anymore. LoL, my friends have been forced to accept it. i don't talk to them much about it since i know they don't like it.. but i can't help going off every now and then about how hot yamapi or some other pretty asian boy is.

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Jul 18th, '06, 23:46

I have to admit I'm pretty embarassed to tell any of my friends or family that I watch Dramas. The reason is that Dramas are typically aimed at the female market, and being male, it's not something I would readily admit to having an interest in :P

Edit: Good thread btw :-)

KCfan_1314

Post by KCfan_1314 » Jul 19th, '06, 00:14

lols totally proud even sometimes parents -.- yell xd hahahah part of lifee ~

requiem

Post by requiem » Jul 19th, '06, 02:40

x_XJules wrote:hmm... kind of ashamed. depends on who i'm with i suppose. i'm getting a lot better at it though.

my friends are pretty anti-asian. anything asian is ridiculous to them. not that they're real racists.. just not open-minded to any culture basically. i hid it from them at first just to escape ridicule.. but sometimes i'd leave azureus open and they soon found out. at first they were like, are you downloading that anime crap again? and i'd explain it wasn't anime it was live-action tv series.. blah blah blah.. took them a year to finally understand it wasn't anime.

i have one friend though who is totally okay with it since she has been into anime for years and years and years, and has a love for japan. so i'd go on and on and on to her about it.

once i became a fan girl though... whew.. not so ashamed anymore. LoL, my friends have been forced to accept it. i don't talk to them much about it since i know they don't like it.. but i can't help going off every now and then about how hot yamapi or some other pretty asian boy is.
I basically live in a similar situation, just that I can get away with blabbing about Asian dramas.

Probably the worst thing about east coast USA is the fact that the Asian population out here is insignificant. Indeed, it's like that throughout every part of the nation but the West Coast, but it bugs me how people often claim they are cultured and not know a thing about contemporary Asia.

For example, one of my good friends back at home got excited when I told her I watch Asian TV dramas. She ignored the bit about anime, but her being a female and also extremely narcissistic makes it all the more reasonable for her to ignore my petty "cartoons." Anyways, we sat down together to watch Cantonese Kung Fu movies, which she liked.

Then, just as the evening was about to end, she snuck onto my computer and turned on an episode of Densha Otoko. Personally, I love Densha, but I feel that the Otoko himself is the whiniest Japanese actor I have seen so far. Immediately her face went awry, and she asked me what "weird show" I had on my computer. When I explained to her what it was about, she said, "Eww, that's weird. I don't think I like this type of Asian culture. I mean, they aren't wearing kimonos or looking really cool fighting." With that, I smiled and said, "That's nice. We shouldn't waste our time here, so let's go."

Yes, I was hurt...however I don't hold it against her. How can she, coming from a country where our pop culture (which she absolutely loves) has been a serious affect on Japan in particular, appreciate something that while similar in some ways, is significantly culturally different? I never fit in with American culture, and I really don't think I ever will. Meanwhile, I know I love Japan/Korea/China's culture and entertainment, so thus I'm left alone with my passion...

Thus, I don't bother spreading news about my "Asia/Anime crap" myself, since I know that anyone who has a real interest in it will find me. I'd also know then a true friend, too, if you think about it.

Heh...what I fear the most now is this upcoming fall. With all of the difficulties I faced this year concerning my rights to Asian Junkieism, I haven't the slightest clue yet what my new, unrevealed roommates will think of my obsession. Hopefully...they'll be the right sort of people. :-)

mmmin

Post by mmmin » Jul 20th, '06, 02:54

i dont know... i kind of feel so bad... i do nothing physical now ><" i think this addiction is pretty severe for me. i guess i gotta get off this lazy butt of mine before im really really addicted.

Romance

Post by Romance » Jul 20th, '06, 14:56

Im not embarresed of it, why would i? Those who laugh at people who like different things for example jdorama, they are the losers.

chiyuffie

Post by chiyuffie » Jul 25th, '06, 00:17

PROUD! Because I'm asian and I appreciate asian culture. Yes!

ndoodles

Post by ndoodles » Jul 28th, '06, 23:56

Sadly, I'm ashamed. I feel like I don't do anything but watch drama (which is really bad... especially when school's gonna start soon).

KoreanMania

Post by KoreanMania » Jul 29th, '06, 00:13

Definitely proud of it :lol That's because I'm not merely watching drama to drool over gorgeous guys but it's more than that. Somehow by watching K-dramas, I get to have some insights on Korean culture and most importantly, it really helps in learning their language the more you watch and listen :thumright:

goygakgoy

Post by goygakgoy » Jul 29th, '06, 00:35

I'm proud of watching J-drama, but ashame that I have to be categorized with K-dramas. Most ppl look at anime hobby as cool, and it should be the same with j-drama. K-drama is more like American soap opera...such a shame...haha.

Kimmy07

Post by Kimmy07 » Jul 29th, '06, 03:51

With people my age that I just met I tend to not mention it, but with everyone else I will. That's actually kind of weird isn't it? But it doesn't really matter since everyone knows how much I love Japan whether I mention it much or not (since once I start talking about it I'll never stop).

Actually, more than being embarassed about saying I like it, I dread the question "How did you get into that?" since people usually respond strangely to anime for some reason. I don't really get why, but I'm one of those people that cares way too much about how others see me so I really avoid mentioning anime.

You guys that don't care about what people think are really awesome :thumright:

*Edit*

But I definitely have been hiding it less since my friends put up "Happy Birthday!" posters with Massu, Nino, and Uchi all over the school. It's kind of hard trying to come up with an excuse for that so I just gave in ^^;; For some reason people calmed down after I said Nino was going to be in an American movie.
Last edited by Kimmy07 on Jul 31st, '06, 19:26, edited 2 times in total.

RamenChan

Post by RamenChan » Jul 31st, '06, 03:30

First I was keeping it a secret , my family new about my Japan addiction and stuff but they were the only one. When my friend asked me if I had watched the OC last night of stuff like that I just couldn't answer because I was watching J-dramas.^^

So I started to think: why should I be embarrassed of my hobby?^^ If people can't accept it... well they SUCK! Now people know about it and they ask me question about Japan and stuff like that! It's fun^^ haha My friends understand me (or at least they try!^^) and my best friend likes to watch Dragon Sakura with me^^

I think nobody should be ashamed of it because people who have prejudices just don't know what they are talking about^^

third1014

Post by third1014 » Jul 31st, '06, 07:11

waaa!!!! i'm kinda embarassed cause i'm a guy... i like watching dramas when there's a great and nice one... not all drama are drama... some are comical and funny... they're mixed... so i enjoy them... i enjoy watching them cause i can brush up with my vocabulary and diction and their culture... my family knows that i'm crazy over japan and it's culture... but now i'm starting to include korea... my family knows i watch drama but not all the time! cause if i do it they'll conclude that i'm weird and frustrated! ...my friends(all men, women are another group of friends... there is a primary and secondary group) don't watch drama since they are LOSERS! they just drink and smoke! Always on the streets!!! Unlike me! hehe... intellectually and culturally high! hehe... better watch drama and learning new things than throwing my future away! ... i just enjoy their drama and culture! ! waaaa.... *embarassed* 8)
Last edited by third1014 on Jul 31st, '06, 07:21, edited 1 time in total.

K.T.Tran

Post by K.T.Tran » Jul 31st, '06, 07:15

Proud of my Addiction. It saves me from a whole lot of boredom and it keeps me from watching a lot of the lame things on TV.

Also, It helps me with learning Japanese :mrgreen:

Least I'm not ending up addicted to CS and not burning more then half my day playing that game like my brother or some of my friends :lol

jun`

Post by jun` » Jul 31st, '06, 18:20

My addiction to drama, am i embarassed?? NO! i'm quite proud of it, although my friends find it weird & whatnot..i don't care because i loveeeeeeee drama. Though, i don't like it when people like from school call it soap operas >.> im just use to it being called drama.. i <3 it though, while i watch my taiwanese, japanese, & korean dramas, my mother is watching her thai XD so i get some of that too. When asked my hobbies or interests,..i proudly add in watching asian dramas.

kunaimuffin

Post by kunaimuffin » Jul 31st, '06, 18:37

everyone knows i love japan & dramas.
even my teachers know, so i guess not
:P

Tackey

Post by Tackey » Jul 31st, '06, 19:07

I love this topic; but anyway, I used to be embarassed to say that I watch anime for the fact that people say it is just cartoons. Nowadays, I rarely watch anime and converted to watching dramas (particularly jdramas) ever since a year and a half ago. The plots of certain dramas catch my attention in a snap and that's what gets me hooked on watching more dramas. But, if someone asks what I watch, I would say asian dramas enthusiastically. I would not be embarassed at all to say that I watch asian dramas. :)

Also, I hate it when people say that dramas is the same as soap operas... >_>

m_3_ee

Post by m_3_ee » Jul 31st, '06, 19:17

i am def. proud of my addiction to dramas! i used to be so addicted to anime and i was proud of that too! but ive been watching dramas since i was 5-6 years old. *yeah my mom got me into it, she says when i was in her belly she watched alot of dramas so she guesses i got it from that* haha i love dramas with a passion, even when i get teased becasue of it i really dont care.

Go dramas!

SacredCultivator
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by SacredCultivator » Aug 4th, '06, 16:09

I am definitely proud to being addicted to Dramas because it gives me something to occupy my free time.

Sure there are a few that others embarass me about but hell I don't care about their opinions as it is ME that is watching the Drama's and I recommend it to thema nd some get into it while others don't. Oh well.

allredndizzy
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by allredndizzy » Aug 4th, '06, 16:23

I LOVE ASIAN DRAMAS AND MOVIES!!! :wub:

senpuuken

Post by senpuuken » Aug 4th, '06, 17:54

There isnt anything else that im more proud of than, others and my love for japanese culture. The only negative feedback i have recieved is why i dont show such enthusiasm towards my own culture. I love my ethnic background, but theres something about japanese that really shakes things up. The music, pop culture and even technology tend to draw me in more and more. Im usually looked at as informative more than obsessed, i have to usually describe food or even entertainment to my friends. I love it. :argue:

MedallionEchelon

Post by MedallionEchelon » Aug 5th, '06, 01:57

I'm always telling people about the shows I watch, even if they have no idea what heck I'm talking about. But one victory for me was I got my dad to watch Densha Otoko (and enjoy it), which was a big surprise for me, and him too I'm sure :lol

xhong

Post by xhong » Aug 5th, '06, 02:05

I know some of my family and friends finds it weird that in a lot of ways I'm kinda addicted to Asian tv dramas but hey it makes me happy to watch tv dramas so I would say....I'm PROUD to be a drama addict LOL :D

puccakiss79
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by puccakiss79 » Aug 5th, '06, 03:07

MedallionEchelon wrote:I'm always telling people about the shows I watch, even if they have no idea what heck I'm talking about.
:lol

I'm proud; however, there was a time when I felt a bit embarrassed. I went to the hospital lab to get a blood test. I was wearing my "Korean Drama Queen, Do Not Disturb" shirt which I got as a Christmas gift. (They sell it at craft fairs here. They are really cute, a girl sits on the couch w/ the remote in one hand. A box of tissue is on the side and the tv has a show on. There on different designs) Anyway, when the nurse saw my shirt he says, "My grandma has that same shirt." OMG, I didn't know what to say at the time. I think I just laughed it off and replied with a, "Oh nah?" But I do talk to people young and old about Korean dramas. My sister-in-law likes Japanese Dramas so I sometimes talk to her about some shows. Most of my aunties and even some of their husbands love Korean dramas. It's reassuring to know that although I am a ajuma I am not a halmeoni yet!

albertoavena

Post by albertoavena » Aug 5th, '06, 07:20

Although I didn't understand the last to words, I guess I know what your talking about. :lol I don't really know if I'm embarrased or not. I mean, the chance hasn't really come up to know. Not many people have asked me about them so I can't really say. I could say I'm not embarrased but when it comes time to prove it, I might chicken out. :-( I don't know..I'll know when that time comes. Although a friend of mine who comes to my house sometimes, found that I was watching them so I guess that intereseted him. I just showed him the first episode of 1 litre of tears and wants to see more. It's pretty cool, I guess...

kaasbris

Post by kaasbris » Nov 1st, '06, 07:28

Once I declared my parents not to watch Drama when I was highschool, as I thought it's stupid!
After several years, just to learn Japanese, I began watching some dramas, and I got hooked up! Since then, K Drama, then US Drama...

Probably I be the only one who consider embarrassed, just by myself, as I broke my own declaration! :mrgreen:

teamonger

Post by teamonger » Nov 4th, '06, 18:07

I used to be a little embarrassed to admit to watching them, since dramas are basically soap operas.

But now I recognize that dramas are Asian soaps, and that makes all the difference! :thumright:

BigNoodle

Post by BigNoodle » Nov 4th, '06, 18:12

It's a mix between shame and pride... My friends all make fun of me because i'm the only french guy they know watching korean drama... but until they haven't seen one, they can't know..

and I'm proud of being the only one knowing this part of korean culture around me

expanzee

Post by expanzee » Nov 4th, '06, 19:30

BigNoodle wrote:It's a mix between shame and pride... My friends all make fun of me because i'm the only french guy they know watching korean drama... but until they haven't seen one, they can't know..

and I'm proud of being the only one knowing this part of korean culture around me
I really would like to know how you started watching drama!

I, btw, am not ashamed of the fact I'm addicted. My friends even ask me about new drama and take dramas from my hard disk.

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Nov 4th, '06, 23:06

puccakiss79 wrote: It's reassuring to know that although I am a ajuma I am not a halmeoni yet!
What does ajuma and halmeoni mean plz? :)

expanzee

Post by expanzee » Nov 5th, '06, 06:35

kobe23 wrote:
puccakiss79 wrote: It's reassuring to know that although I am a ajuma I am not a halmeoni yet!
What does ajuma and halmeoni mean plz? :)
I think ahjuma means aunty and halmeoni means grandmother in korean.

thtlam

Post by thtlam » Nov 5th, '06, 06:45

I am not ashamed of the fact that I'm addicted to dramas...the only bad thing about my addiction is CONTROL!!! I have to force myself not to watch dramas when midterms and finals are coming up but other than that I don't think anything will make me give up this addiction.

BigNoodle

Post by BigNoodle » Nov 5th, '06, 14:53

expanzee wrote: I really would like to know how you started watching drama!
erm.. I don't quite remember.. it was in last January, I was wasting my time on the Internet, looking oinformation aboutt chinese music. And then I dscovered that I could watch dramas on Youtube and it started... with a kiss ^^
it actually was the first drama I was watching and I fell in Love with Ariel Lin... and then I looked for other dramas of the same kind...

But Youtube is crap for watching dramas, nd then I downloaded some, and then in last July I discoverde aznv.tv

expanzee

Post by expanzee » Nov 5th, '06, 15:34

BigNoodle wrote:
expanzee wrote: I really would like to know how you started watching drama!
erm.. I don't quite remember.. it was in last January, I was wasting my time on the Internet, looking oinformation aboutt chinese music. And then I dscovered that I could watch dramas on Youtube and it started... with a kiss ^^
it actually was the first drama I was watching and I fell in Love with Ariel Lin... and then I looked for other dramas of the same kind...

But Youtube is crap for watching dramas, nd then I downloaded some, and then in last July I discoverde aznv.tv
I see ... Nice. YouTube is crap for watching drama >>> I agree. Pull your friends to watch too >_<

ianwarren

Post by ianwarren » Nov 13th, '06, 01:46

Personally speaking I'm proud to say that I watch something a little bit different to everyone else!

Especially in the UK where everybody just watches reality TV shows and Friends!

I do find it hard to explain exactly what the appeal is though... it's kind of like one of those things where the only way you can put across how great doramas are is by actually getting someone to sit down and watch them :D

I haven't managed to convert my girlfriend to them yet though... she claims she's no good with subtitles :roll

elaiine

Post by elaiine » Nov 13th, '06, 07:33

Proud I guess. Im like positively mad over dramas that Im currently hooked onto and when I go mad in front of my friends gushing over the drama they will be like oh she's at it again. They are so used to it by now :D
Sometimes me and my friends will have this drama that we both like and we can talk on and on about it.
And other times, I just try to influence my friends to watch the drama Im hooked onto. LOL, its great fun :D

Oh right, and watching so many korean dramas and variety shows just made me fall head over heels in love with the korean language! :lol
I have no idea why but the way they speak and stuff, its just so NICE.
I like their world cup cheer too. LOL.

Angel551

Post by Angel551 » Nov 13th, '06, 19:05

Im proudly saying that im watching drama .. actually im addicted person ^_^,, with the drama

Not embarrased to say that ......... Cuz even my cousin like drama 2 So there some people sharing same interest ^___^

Annessa

Post by Annessa » Nov 14th, '06, 11:38

my family watches some of my kdrama dvds... my sister will occasionally watch with me, but she's not addicted like i am... she doesn't care if she misses an episode or two. except for Kim Sam Soon... she loved that drama so much, she's seen it 4 times!

most of my friends like watching thai or chinese dramas, though... they can kinda understand my addiction, but since we don't watch the same thing, we don't usually talk discuss it that often.

i have no problem stating that i like watching k-dramas... most of my friends/family know and they don't usually care.

T1dUs

Post by T1dUs » Nov 14th, '06, 11:49

Im definitely proud of my Jdramas' n Jmovies addiction. Its my life n i cant watch any other dramas other than Jdramas. I listen to Jmusic as well... As long as its JAPANESE i'll be interested... :cheers:

cookie-n-cream

Post by cookie-n-cream » Nov 19th, '06, 11:48

I only hide it when no one is gonna be interested in what i say cause they wouldnt care or understand what im talking about. Sometimes i dont hide it, but its just sometimes there is no point saying it if they arent going to be interested. But you should say what you enjoy doing so they have an idea of what kind of a person you are, hoping they won't judge you for what you like doing. ^^ Sometimes i say what i like and sometimes i dont. Depends who im talking to .

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Nov 19th, '06, 12:14

EVERYBODY knows I love Asia and watching Asian drama. And I do mean EVERYBODY. It would be kind of hard not to notice, what with me always carrying my big bad 'Integrated Korean' textbooks around with me and studying vocabulary any free minute. :lol Everybody knows I've lived in Korea and will live there again, everybody knows my boyfriend is Korean (and they all think he's handsome, even though some of them aren't into Asian guys usually) and yes, everybody knows I like to watch movies and dramas from Korea, Japan and Taiwan. Most of my (German) friends have never in their life seen an Asian movie or drama, so I don't really think they can imagine what they are like... I guess they don't really care, though. As for my mother, she thinks it's weird, but she's gotten used to seeing 'Chinese people' on my PC screen whenever she walks into my room.

As for hiding my addiction when I'm actually with Asian people, though... I find it easy to admit to Koreans that I like Korean drama, but harder to admit to Japanese people that I like JDramas. It might come as a surprise to some people, but the Koreans I've met all were bigger drama fans than the Japanese I've met (I guess because Koreans are REALLY REALLY proud of their movies and dramas) and I've never in my life been laughed at by a Korean for liking Asian drama. But my ex-boyfriend, who was Japanese, always teased me for liking dramas. :cry:

Well, I don't hide it, to sum it up. I don't really watch Korean dramas to drool over the handsome leads, but to improve my Korean (which I really need due to my connection with the country) and because I like the variety KDramas have had this year. As for JDramas, I watch them for fun only because I'm not currently learning Japanese... and I have actually felt a little guilty about watching them as a result (but I still love JDrama, too!).

Well, yeah. :lol :wub:

ruisu

Post by ruisu » Nov 19th, '06, 18:45

I don't go around talking about the world of dorama's, but that's because most people I know don't like anything with subtitles. I tried to get my friends to watch a great movie once, OldBoy, and they couldn't bear to read the subtitles.

But I watch less drama's than my friends watch American TV. A good American TV show is rare. From what I've seen, the opposite is true on the other side of the world...so, I'm not embarrassed about it.

I kinda feel like I have a great secret that I can't talk about, because everyone is so closed-minded. :cry:

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Nov 19th, '06, 21:03

ruisu wrote:I kinda feel like I have a great secret that I can't talk about, because everyone is so closed-minded. :cry:
Awww, but you're from NYC! I can't believe that it's hard to find friends with the same interests as you there. Now as for me, I currently live in a tiny village at the end of the world, so I just have to accept having no friends (who live close) who share my interest in dramas... yeah, I think that sucks quite a bit. I envy all you people who can talk about the dramas you like at school or work or when you go for a drink with friends.

ruisu

Post by ruisu » Nov 19th, '06, 21:54

Which tiny village is that? :-) Let me guess, somewhere in Germany?

noriblue

Post by noriblue » Nov 21st, '06, 19:05

Yeah, I am not afraid to say that I love watching TV Dramas as a hobby (Kdramas, Jdramas, Twdramas, Cdramas). However, I kindda hide the fact that I download them from the Internet... hahaha. Only my family and closest friends know that I got them from the Internet. Plus, it is kindda hard to explain... when I say "torrent" or "clubbox" they go "what? what is that". Sigh. So the best answer is "rented them from dvd rental stores"

As for the guys in my family, they usually prefer those kung fu -wu xia cdramas. But they watch the romantic melodrama ones too when they are showing on local TV or when they are available. OMG my 11 year old niece watched more kdramas than me!!! her mom rented the dvds for her... I told the mom that she's too young!!! hahaha

aa

Post by aa » Nov 25th, '06, 08:42

I feel embarrassed... :pale:
I think it's because sometimes I feel that people I know are "moving on" with their lives, and here I am in "la-la-la drama land". But I'll admit to this... dramas are fun to watch.

p.s. d-addicts is a cool site.

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Nov 25th, '06, 13:48

For me being a 27 years old male, it's pretty embarassing to tell people I watch k-dramas like Full House and My Girl etc. Not that I feel there's anything wrong with it, but simply because the majority of people assume those dramas are for young women.

That's just the way society is I guess, so I don't go around announcing to the world I watch dramas beacause I don't want people giving me weird looks, but I do tell my close family and friends though. They sometimes give me weird looks too, but I just tell them I watch it for the pretty girls :P

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Nov 25th, '06, 15:00

ruisu wrote:Which tiny village is that? :-) Let me guess, somewhere in Germany?
Southern Germany, where beer, Oktoberfest and dirndl costumes are from. :wub:

:mrgreen:

Fujia

Post by Fujia » Nov 25th, '06, 15:12

:cheers: For me being a 37 years old female, with family, is not embarassing to tell oter people I watch k-j-c-dramas.
:w00t: Is only for myself. I enjoi it and I'm Proud. :thumright:

tantiya

Post by tantiya » Nov 25th, '06, 15:18

i love j or k-dorama since i was a girl till being a mom now...my close friends and my families know that, and they still make fun of it...but i dont care...but when in come to my colleagues, i cant tell em. Get little embarassed, i guess....

Gilraen

Post by Gilraen » Nov 25th, '06, 15:27

Addicted and proud! Apart from my best friend, nobody really understands my obsession with jdoramas and Japanese boys/men and I get teased quite a lot - especially at work - but hey, it's their loss, they have no idea what they're missing out on!

The fact that the actors I like tend to be a lot younger than I am, gets me some odd looks as well but hey, who cares? I certainly don't! :wub:

ch3nny

Post by ch3nny » Nov 25th, '06, 15:34

PROUD OF IT!!!!!!!!!!! ^_^v

princess_jime

Post by princess_jime » Nov 25th, '06, 19:29

I would have to say PROUD.
I stopped caring about what other people think of me when I was 12 :D , I've accepted the fact that I'm a weird person, who likes heavy metal and j-pop, a hard core vampire fan and addicted to asian dramas.

But, I have to explain, here in Venezuela watching "telenovelas" is sort of an OK thing to do, everyone does it. They aren't like US soaps that go on forever, and they aren't like asian dramas that last for, say, 25 episodes more or less. But lately I'd become bored with what is currently shown on TV. So I started looking for other things on the internet and found asian dramas...I was in heaven.

And, like many others here, after failing to make my family understand my anime and manga obssession, I switched to dramas, and they came with me to the other side 8)
Now, everytime someone in my family says "there's nothing good on TV today" I say "wanna watch some dramas on the computer?" and they smile and say YES!

So yeah, I'm proud.

---------------------------------
Edited to add: I forgot to mention! All the k-dramas I've seen have been shown on TV! weird but true, stairway to heaven on TVN international (a chilean channel) and winter sonata and autum in my heart on LaTele (a venezuelan channel), I hope they keep airing them... :wub: