What languages do you know?

The real life drama forum. Discuss your relationships or get to know the other members here.

What languages do you know proficiently?

Chinese
20%
Japanese
15%
Korean
3%
Korean
3%
Chinese & Japanese
5%
Chinese & Korean
1%
Japanese & Korean
2%
All of Above
2%
None of Above (must rely on subtitles)
50%

Total votes: 935

Neji-sama

Post by Neji-sama » Jul 15th, '06, 16:33

Fluent: Swedish, Finnish and English.

Going to try learning Japanese soon.

specify

Post by specify » Jul 15th, '06, 19:50

Fluent:
English
Mandarin
Shanghainese

Studied:
German (1 year)
Spanish (2 years)

I'll learn korean in the future, and some cantonese if I ever find a good resource.

Kawaii Megumi

Post by Kawaii Megumi » Jul 15th, '06, 19:59

Fluently:

-Dutch (nativ)
-Vietnamese
-English

Studying:

-French
-German

TOP ON TO DO-LIST:

-Japanese (rather learn that, than French and German T_T)
-Chinese (you'll never know ^^)

x_XJules
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by x_XJules » Jul 15th, '06, 20:10

wow i could have sworn i posted in this thread before :scratch: must've been another one like it.

well, english is my first language.
i'm fluent in sign language (hey, that still counts!!) LoL, in orange days i didn't need subtitles half of the time because i could just read what they were signing.
i'm currently taking japanese. i understand it well, but i do have troubles speaking. i can ask questions and answer them, but i don't make sentences on my own well. :lol

nimble_treason

Post by nimble_treason » Jul 15th, '06, 20:13

Fluently Finnish (native) and English. Also Swedish, but not that fluent.
Studied French for 5 years, but that's mostly gone (I understand it written pretty good).

And I started studying Japanese recently.

The conclusion: Subtitles are my friends. <3

Neji-sama

Post by Neji-sama » Jul 15th, '06, 20:39

Hmm would it be wise to try learn Japanese AND Korean? Or would it be just too hard? :unsure:

requiem

Post by requiem » Jul 16th, '06, 05:33

Studying: Japanese
Learned Proficiently: French
Survival Capabilities: French, Italian, Japanese
On the "To Do" List: German, Korean, Russian, Spanish, -maybe- Chinese

ocha otoko

Post by ocha otoko » Jul 16th, '06, 11:41

wow so many ppl are so talented with languages and it's good to see ppl learning - do it!

i know cantonese fluently, mandarin well, though i dont like speaking it cos i sound very fobby....and few phrases n words in korean and japanese...

i want to learn those two more, but im wondering if it's just cos im watching k and j dramas too much to the point that i want to be like them lol...but yeah i am currently continuing with mandarin... :]

Kaito5

Post by Kaito5 » Jul 16th, '06, 11:55

Well I can speak swedish fluently *duh* English very good and a little bit of korean.
To me korean is the easiest of chinese and japanese. I got an korean lexicon and I can understand some words on k-dramas but still need subtitles though. Why i want to learn korean is because i got two friends there and it's an interesting language.

dxtr: I find korean to be easier for me to learn but it could be diffirent for you though.
So i'd say go for the one you find easier to grasp. But most peaople seem to say korean is the harder one.

ocha otoko

Post by ocha otoko » Jul 16th, '06, 12:13

i think it's because it differs from chinese and japanese so much, and usually because it's people who know japanese or chinese who say this...ok wait scrap the japanese part...i think it's so for chinese people lol...i think.

Kaito5

Post by Kaito5 » Jul 16th, '06, 12:25

Yeah it sure is diffirent than those languages.

ocha otoko

Post by ocha otoko » Jul 16th, '06, 12:31

but yeah so swedish eh...i dont tihnk ive really listened to swedish really...but hey so what attracts you guys to asian languages?

odbayarb2000

Post by odbayarb2000 » Jul 16th, '06, 12:56

For me.

Mongolian: Fluent
English:Can be labeled as second language
Turkish: Studied four years, nearing to second language. Lol now forgetting
Japanese: Studied about 1 year, gonna study more three years
Russian: can understand really little bit. Konw some words hehe.

Kaito5

Post by Kaito5 » Jul 16th, '06, 13:01

And you don't want to trust me haha! For me they're some of the most beautiful languages out there. And ofcourse they make some of the best dramas and movies.
I want to learn korean because i have two friends there and it's a beautiful language, so i've bought a korean lexicon and watch korean dramas and movies to get a feeling for it even more. It's going quite well i'd say so far and hopefuly get a korean teacher somday so i can really learn it. I also like the culture in china and korea, the food is also very good though only tried chinese taiwanese and japanese.

requiem

Post by requiem » Jul 16th, '06, 16:59

@ Kaito5: Korean has a similar grammatical structure to Japanese, but sometimes it's considered easier to learn because they don't employ the Kanji system quite as lethally. I think Korean would be harder because the phonetic syllabary is much more difficult to pronounce than the syllabary used in Japanese.

I've also heard interesting things about Chinese and Japanese in comparison. I am told that Cantonese is the hardest language to begin learning, and Japanese is easy in comparison. However, once you get used to the patterns of Cantonese, it becomes easy. In contrast, Japanese patterns become significantly harder...? This is something I was told, but being that I've studied Japanese for some time now, the complicated structures still often don't make any sense.

Kaito5

Post by Kaito5 » Jul 16th, '06, 17:27

requiem> Thanks for clearing that out but I can't agree or disagree to this, since I only know a little korean and no japanese. So my comment would probably make no sence to anyone hehe. Thank you again for clearing this out for me so komaum *meaning thanks*

chinshimûro, (sincerely)

Kaito!!

sunshine4ever
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by sunshine4ever » Jul 16th, '06, 17:41

I thought the topic is weird...asking for what languages I know while only listing 3 languages for the choice, it is as if Koreans, Chinese, and Japanese people don't rely on the subbings from other languages or something. I know how to speak English, Vietnamese, and a little bit of Spanish. However, since the choices are so narrow. I have to say I rely mostly on subs or dubbing to understand Korean and Chinese series.

nurani2006

Post by nurani2006 » Jul 16th, '06, 18:33

i'm fluent in bahasa en english
moderate Dutch
and very little chinese(mandarin)

so i rely on subtitle

toxicity

Post by toxicity » Jul 16th, '06, 21:35

My native language is French. Then, I learn English and German in school. I can speak English fluently but I don't write it correctly because of the grammar. My German is so bad and when I went to Germany, I often used English (Germans are so good in English). Then, I can also speak a little bit, Arabic language from Egypt and Italian (thanks to school lol!!)...

I would like to learn Japonese but it's so hard with the kanjis lol!! ^___^

So I use the subtitles but in English to pratice!!!

ocha otoko

Post by ocha otoko » Jul 17th, '06, 01:09

yeah i can see how watching asian dramas n stuff makes you interested in the languages...but yeah ive always been interested in european languages too, they seem very sophisticated sometimes and yeah if an asian can speak euro...then that's even cooler lol...

Kaito5

Post by Kaito5 » Jul 17th, '06, 10:52

Yeah i guess you're right about that....

requiem

Post by requiem » Jul 17th, '06, 14:04

I find it really cute when Asians speak Romantic languages.

My ex-gf spoke the cutest French ever. She, being Korean, had an easy time with the hard stuff for Americans, and a hard time with the easy stuff for Americans.

My Japanese teacher has some fluency in French, but she still screws things up and sounds deathly cute. A good example is, "Bonjour, requiem-san. Ca va?"

And one thing I REALLY loved is in the K-drama Only You, in the first episode actress Han Chae Young ends up in a situation on a train (not spoiling). Whenever she spoke Italian, she had some good pronunciations, but her expressions made me think !!!OMG OMG SO CUTE!!!! in exactly the way I have just mentioned it. T_T;;;

clana4ever

Post by clana4ever » Jul 17th, '06, 14:10

im a half jp so i can speak and write jp
i can speak 3 lang. jp , eng . tagalog
hangul or korean word little because of drama , chinese to

toxicity

Post by toxicity » Jul 17th, '06, 22:50

I remember that in the drama Kimi wa petto, Jun Matsumoto spoke some famous French expressions like "Bonjour Monsieur, Comment allez-vous?"
It seems funny and so cute.
Why european languages seem to be so romantic?
For French people, the most romantic languages are italian or spanish. I think that Italians sing then they speak... So beautiful language!!!!!

Have you ever seen "Tokyo Tower"? The movie's end is in France and it was funny for me because the japonese actress said : "Bonjoul" instead of "Bonjour"...
Japonese people have difficulty to prononciate the "R"...

Au revoir et bonne nuit!!!!!

S@GDI@N@:-)

Post by S@GDI@N@:-) » Jul 21st, '06, 20:02

I´m studying Japanese right now....but my mothertongue is Russian and Uzbek, I do also fluently speak German and -if you agree, guys- English! I´ve learnd French for 4 years. I´m thinking about to improve my French language skills, but French is hard to learn and to speak... and what about Japanese? Well, I´m kinda crazy about this language....

left_rightpoint

Post by left_rightpoint » Jul 22nd, '06, 06:13

who need to learn other languages the international language is english..hehehe

peachytwinkle

Post by peachytwinkle » Jul 22nd, '06, 06:26

I speak english fluently. however, my major in college is japanese :) I still rely on the subtitles, but i understand most of the conversations. :wub:

brenda

Post by brenda » Jul 24th, '06, 17:33

I know Cantonese, English & French.

Mandarin - not really but can get by

carpe_noctem

Post by carpe_noctem » Aug 13th, '06, 00:05

I dont know any Asian languages but I speak Polish (mother tongue), English, German and a bit of Italian! ;)

Lim_Chori

Post by Lim_Chori » Aug 13th, '06, 00:19

Chiu Chow, Mandarin, Cantonese, and Japanese for me. I'm still brushing up on my cantonese.. but on a positive note I can play drinking games in all of the above languages. =D

babeyelmo

Post by babeyelmo » Aug 13th, '06, 17:39

i know a little of those all above
but
i know more too

hmong
english
thai

Amari

Post by Amari » Aug 13th, '06, 17:58

All I know fluently is English. ;-;
I think I could get by well enough in French, though.

I've been learning French for 4-5 years, and I just took a course in Mandarin... I independently study Japanese and watching dramas definitely helps, but if you stuck me in Japan I don't know how much I'd be able to do. :P I also want to learn Korean but I'm afraid to practice speaking in case I learn pronunciations the wrong way. xD

RyeCrimsonMoon

Post by RyeCrimsonMoon » Aug 13th, '06, 23:04

English, and a little Japanese, French and Spanish, but not nearly enough to get around a city or anything. I can watch raws and figure out whats going on, but can't figure it out word or word.

Oh, and I'm fluent in redneck if that counts! No? ...'Kay...

vickyyang07

Post by vickyyang07 » Aug 13th, '06, 23:33

Well I'm Hmong, but I orginally speak english. Some of you may ask the question "what are hmongs?" well hmongs are people that are from laos and thailand, but they aren't laotian or thai, they are another group. well, i always rely on subtitles, but when none is there, i can still understand the drama even though i can't understand what the people are saying, but i'm getting there.

k_chocolat

Post by k_chocolat » Aug 13th, '06, 23:58

i'm a native Japanese speaker, am also fluent in English since i moved to Canada. i'm learning French now! i want to go to France to study!

Cefuroxime

Post by Cefuroxime » Aug 15th, '06, 19:37

I can speak Japanese and a little Korean, but I need a script. =p I only understand some words from those languages but I can write (a little) in Japanese and Korean.

I speak English, but it's not my mother tongue.

<3s-tei.

Post by <3s-tei. » Aug 26th, '06, 16:31

I'm from China and I speak somewhat fluent Chinese. But I'm been in Canada for the past eight years so I know that fluently too.

auroragb

Post by auroragb » Aug 26th, '06, 18:57

so you speak Canadian, eh? :P

asianblondgirl

Post by asianblondgirl » Aug 26th, '06, 20:36

fluently Spanish and English, lil japanese, can sing in Chinese & Korean though have NO idea what im saying :P understand a lil korean and know like 5 chinese words.

MinaPi

Post by MinaPi » Aug 27th, '06, 13:21

fluently: german, russian, english, uzbek,french
learning: latin, japanese
satisfied skills : korean

we are lonely together...

elsiey

Post by elsiey » Aug 30th, '06, 19:01

Haha, I -do- know some chinese, but it's of that of a 5 year old... x.x I get enough though so that I'm capable of watching C-Dramas raw and get the main point. XD

However, I'm pretty proficient in french. XD Been studying that for years~

Xanthos

Post by Xanthos » Sep 1st, '06, 23:49

i'm a Singaporean.

Most of us from Singapore speaks fluent English, Mandarin (Chinese) and some chinese dialects.

:D

wingki

Post by wingki » Sep 1st, '06, 23:52

for me its
english, cantonese, mandarin, japanese

anoney

Post by anoney » Sep 2nd, '06, 00:03

This is a weird one. I'm British so English is my first language, but I've been studying Japanese intensively for 1 year in London (and plan to carry on).

I find that conversation-wise I'm generally fine, but when it comes to dramas and movies they are a bit harder to 100% understand. I recently watched HYD without the need of subtitles, but found a lot of trouble keeping up with something like Waterboys. This is probably down to dialects or something. A lot of the time I can watch programmes without the need for subtitles, so I guess I can hesitantly check the "Japanese" box. :)

(P.S. To everyone learning any foreign language, good luck and don't give up!)

shiny plastic

Post by shiny plastic » Sep 3rd, '06, 06:14

I speak fluently is English and Tagalog but other than that. I'm very musch reliant on Subs.

Out of all of those languages, which one is easiest to learn? I'm very much inclined to learn any of those languages as I've always been fascinated with eastern culture.

Grc733

Post by Grc733 » Sep 3rd, '06, 07:09

I know Spanish (I'm cuban) and English fluently, I know wishy-washy Japanese and Hindi, and almost nothing of french.. but i seem to make due

Aulcard

Post by Aulcard » Sep 8th, '06, 08:55

I envy people who can speak multiple languages, especially with fluency!

I have been studying Japanese for two and a half years, and have lived in Japan for the last 5 months. Not that I would say I have managed to become in any way fluent. For example, when watching drama it heavily depends on the show how much I understand. These days I never use subtitles. The most recent drama I have been watching is dare yori mo mama wo aisu. I can probably understand about 50%, and get the other 50% out of context. But if I watch a show like PS Rashoumon, I can barely tell what it going on apart from visually. In a real life example, today some religious door knocking group for some japanese religion came to the door, and I talked to them for about 30 minutes. (Because they were so insistent and wouldnt go away.) I could understand and communicate with them fairly easily, but in general I find understanding and effectively communicating with people extremely difficult. I have had to work very hard just to get the little I have (since I am not very skilled), then I meet people who can speak multiple languages, who also seem able to learn Japanese with ease (obviously especially if they are fluent in chinese because of kanji), and it makes me feel as though my efforts have been totally hopeless.

So to people who grow up knowing multiple languages, for example my friend who knows malaysian and chinese from living in malaysia and english from living in australia, please dont take it for granted! You have a life-skill for free right there.

As for people who have actually learnt multiple languages, I think you are some kind of language genius. I have no idea how anyone can do that.

Ann ^-^

Post by Ann ^-^ » Oct 8th, '06, 14:11

Í know chinese, korean, viet, danish (since i live in denmark) German and a bit japenese.
Last edited by Ann ^-^ on Oct 9th, '06, 19:58, edited 1 time in total.

gougz

Post by gougz » Oct 8th, '06, 18:45

fluent : french, english, arabic (maghrebian)
good: german
basic : japanese (studying for 2 years now!)
started this year : dutch and chinese (chinese is very hard :goggle: )

i'm studying foreign languages at university, it's a bit hard to switch btw 5 different languages! (english, german, japanese, dutch and chinese!)
thank god in my university there are some asian languages (but no korean :-( )

asuka_coco

Post by asuka_coco » Oct 8th, '06, 19:30

french, english, cantonese, a little bit mandarin & korean. =)

mrbogangles

Post by mrbogangles » Oct 10th, '06, 01:58

i envy u ppl that speak flu. canto
my canto relly sucks
being born and raised in the us didnt really help me much
i know a little french
starting to know korean from the dramas
and i know some dirty spanish words and viet too :D

berserk

Post by berserk » Oct 10th, '06, 11:18

Fluent in English and Mandarin, and conversant in Taiwanese and Spanish (studied 5 years). Currently learning Japanese.

ocha otoko

Post by ocha otoko » Oct 12th, '06, 11:59

Aulcard wrote:I envy people who can speak multiple languages, especially with fluency!

I have been studying Japanese for two and a half years, and have lived in Japan for the last 5 months. Not that I would say I have managed to become in any way fluent. For example, when watching drama it heavily depends on the show how much I understand. These days I never use subtitles. The most recent drama I have been watching is dare yori mo mama wo aisu. I can probably understand about 50%, and get the other 50% out of context. But if I watch a show like PS Rashoumon, I can barely tell what it going on apart from visually. In a real life example, today some religious door knocking group for some japanese religion came to the door, and I talked to them for about 30 minutes. (Because they were so insistent and wouldnt go away.) I could understand and communicate with them fairly easily, but in general I find understanding and effectively communicating with people extremely difficult. I have had to work very hard just to get the little I have (since I am not very skilled), then I meet people who can speak multiple languages, who also seem able to learn Japanese with ease (obviously especially if they are fluent in chinese because of kanji), and it makes me feel as though my efforts have been totally hopeless.

So to people who grow up knowing multiple languages, for example my friend who knows malaysian and chinese from living in malaysia and english from living in australia, please dont take it for granted! You have a life-skill for free right there.

As for people who have actually learnt multiple languages, I think you are some kind of language genius. I have no idea how anyone can do that.
what's important is that you're trying! and you know you can't compare with others when it comes to things with learning...everyone has their own way and own pace..so yeah be happy you have such a good opportunity though i think...cos i really want to learn jap and really finish off my mandarin...but yeah the damn course is tying me down...

oh and some people just find learning languages easier than say...mathematics or sports...

gaidal

Post by gaidal » Oct 14th, '06, 08:52

Fluent: Swedish, English, Japanese, Chinese
Studying: Cantonese and 四川话. ;)

Oh how I wish I could learn the latter two a little faster...

SubZor

Post by SubZor » Oct 25th, '06, 08:12

i know chinese (cantonese) and some mandarin + english of course :P

Natsume Maya

Post by Natsume Maya » Oct 25th, '06, 09:09

My native language is Portuguese, I can speak and read English, but I can´t write it well...
I´ve been taking Japanese for 5 years now.. and I know some Korean (basic level)

Nishikido

Post by Nishikido » Oct 25th, '06, 20:41

I speak Dutch, german, turkish, kurdish, english and a little bit japanese

mohito

Post by mohito » Oct 25th, '06, 21:15

OMG I'm so surprised that there's at least 10 people voted for 'All of above' option by now...what a surprise!!! I'm just English/Korean speaker...LOL

can read some French (able to order the food at the restaurant, but couldn't watch TV without subs)
picked up some Japanese while watching Jdrama..without sub could understand half...but couldn't read at all...
know some Chinese chracters so could guess a little while reading Chinese subtitle, but couldn't understand what they're saying...

Auty
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Auty » Oct 27th, '06, 02:58

I know English perfect, pretty good Hindi, and I'm pretty bad at Arabic, but I'm still learning.

fairytwix
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by fairytwix » Oct 27th, '06, 03:09

muhahaha..i can speak fluent ENGLISH! lol..and ofkors..filipino..and 2 other dialects in the philippines..and im doing japanese now in uni too..and im studying chinese..separately...hehehe... private study...sorta like tutor..im desperate to learn chinese..hahah..mandarin that is..^^

EVE_in_BLACK

Post by EVE_in_BLACK » Oct 29th, '06, 08:51

I can speak Arabic, english and little urdu
and I started learning japanese

:cry: I rely on subs :cry:

LuNTwaRDinE

Post by LuNTwaRDinE » Nov 3rd, '06, 17:16

I can speak indonesian, english. And i'm learning mandarin & korean. So hard..... :goggle:

LuNTwaRDinE

Post by LuNTwaRDinE » Nov 3rd, '06, 17:20

I can speak indonesian, english. And i'm learning mandarin & korean. So hard..... :goggle:

hakkablood

Post by hakkablood » Nov 3rd, '06, 17:49

Hakka, Vietnamese, Cantonese and English here. Wishing to learn korean.

Madel5566

Post by Madel5566 » Nov 21st, '06, 08:55

since I'm from Singapore, my Chinese and English is better.

But I can speak some Malay and Japanese and Cantonese.^^lll

Mitani

Post by Mitani » Nov 24th, '06, 07:52

I wish I could some of them, but I can only understand a few sentences in japanese, not enough to be be able to watch dorama with out subs.. :(

but in staid I'm fluent in English, German and Danish, while understanding most Swedish and Norwegian!

Arion

Post by Arion » Dec 15th, '06, 14:55

i can do fluent Cantonese and German. i could watch a drama in mandarin but couldn't understand all. and unfortunately i can't read chinese.

forgot most of my learned french.

Chidori-Chan

Post by Chidori-Chan » Dec 15th, '06, 15:13

I'm chinese by birth, but english is my first language at school, so I can speak, read and write english fairly well, whereas my own mother tongue is rather rusty, I can speak mandarin with no problem but I can't read or write as well. My partner is norwegian, so I have picked up the norwegian language. Better in writing than speaking or reading it. ^^P Most of the time, english is my most preferred language. ^^

Since I have seen so much anime shows in japanese, I felt I have learnt quite a few phrases and words and expressions. But it's hard to understand totally 100% without actually learning the language properly. ^^P I can't really speak a full sentence. I would love to learn japanese.

It's a beautiful language, the speaking sound .. whereas korean to me sounds abit harsh... like german ..or danish..hehe.. swedish sounds very nice too comparing to danish and norwegian. I used to like to learn french since it's sounded good to me, but it's not easy.

It's great to learn and understand new languages.....ahh....

I can understand ?3/4? cantonese but I can't speak it. Saw many HK drama during my youth...haha..

cutekid

Post by cutekid » Dec 15th, '06, 15:45

i'm a filipino. only speaks english and our national language filipino. would like to learn korean or mandarin chinese. where can i learn these languages for free? :lol

Le_Muse
Location: California (because we practically are our own country^^)

Post by Le_Muse » Dec 15th, '06, 22:01

I am pretty proficient in Japanese and I only have an elementary knowledge of:
Korean
German
Italian
I would really love to become more proficient in the Korean language though. I really enjoy speaking and listening to that language. It is just so much fun!!

wai_muna

Post by wai_muna » Dec 16th, '06, 05:21

i only can speak..malay and english..huuhuhuhu

milleu87

Post by milleu87 » Dec 16th, '06, 05:48

i can speak english,malay and mandarin

nicebeet

nicebeet languages

Post by nicebeet » Dec 23rd, '06, 17:56

English 99% - Growing up in the US makes you know less English than you should, if you know what I mean.

Cambodian - Uhhh... I can understand it fluently and repeat random phrases that my parents yell at me but it's weird that I can't carry on a conversation in it. It's my first language so I don't think I can ever forget it but I'm not that good in it.

French - Took like a million years of French in middle school and highschool but I can mostly read it and not understand it that well.

Korean - I know a little bit of Korean because I gew up babysitting some Korean kids. I think Korean would be easy for me to learn because I can verbally understand a lot of the words without translating them into English, which is what I'm trying to do with Japanese.

Japanese - I know how to read the Kana and understand some few catch phrases but hardly enough to watch doramas without subtitles but understand and speaking don't seem to be a problem. The hardest part is the written Kanji and grammer. OMG KANJI!!!

I think it would be a lot easier to learn a language if you try not to translate it everytime you use a word. When I was learning French I was always translating whatever into English because they're so similar so I don't think I learned it as well, but now that I'm learning Japanese I think it's easier and better way to learn if you don't rely on English as much and learn it using symbols more. I'm majoring in education so I have a lot of learning theories. LOL thanks for reading.

eternalstar

Post by eternalstar » Dec 25th, '06, 05:55

I speak English, Korean, and Japanese. I might work on Chinese next, though I am a bit intimidated by the tones. I guess I will have to train my ears even better.
Last edited by eternalstar on Jan 1st, '07, 13:58, edited 1 time in total.

sasukepanda

Post by sasukepanda » Dec 25th, '06, 06:04

I'm most fluent in french, but I can speak cantonese too (not read though), I know some spanish (from high school), English of course and I can understand japanese just recently