[Discussion] Teru Teru Ashita

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
Prince of Moles

[Discussion] Teru Teru Ashita

Post by Prince of Moles » Apr 15th, '06, 20:18

It looks like TV Asahi is continuing with the tradition of having weird/funky shows on Friday nights. After seeing the first episode, I think I might try to keep an eye out on this series.

blackstarjr

Post by blackstarjr » Apr 16th, '06, 02:20

At first when i watched ep1, I wasen't sure what to expect.I was going into it thinking it was gonna be a nice coming of age family dorama, but instead get drawn into the world of the supernatural in a real freaky/weird way.Have to say, it's more funny than scary, especially Kurokawa Tomoka.She just makes it more funny.In gachibaka, she was too plain imo,but here she is more lively, which i like..Cannot wait to see how the rest of the season or the coming eps have in store for us.Looks like fridays gonna be the day for supernatural fun with Kurokawa Tomoka. :lol :lol :D

sidenote: Kurokawa Tomoka kawaii :w00t: :w00t: :wub: hehe

kvertand

Post by kvertand » Apr 20th, '06, 07:00

I am intrigued by this show. It looks promising so far, though I haven't seen the other series that this ties in with yet (the name escapes me right now...you know the one I mean, right? :-) ).

I like that it manages to be light-hearted (especially coming off of the heavier shows I watched from last season) but not completely whimsical. Teru and the widow both seem likable and with pathos. The pilot did a decent job of introducing the principal characters and their situations and such.

Surely this won't qualify as a "life-altering" kind of drama, but it is shaping up to be an amusing oddity. Bring on ep two, I say.

rdoll

Post by rdoll » Apr 20th, '06, 08:14

Nice show. But the first episode is quite confusing. I watched it with sub, thanks to Haruspex. I just hope that they will give more explanation about the situations in the next episode. And Kurokawa Tomoka acting is way much better in this drama than Gachibaka.

myke

Post by myke » Apr 20th, '06, 10:46

really lol... :lol i can say that this drama is a nice show.... as say half the actor/actress are all from the " Ame to Yume ni ato ni". it quit interesting... i think tvAsahi want to gave come back the formula in " Ami to Yume ni ato ni" :roll
i have watch the 1ep. at certain part it quit confusing ..... :scratch:

Kurokawa Tomoko have improve in his acting.much better lol...
i can't wait to watch the next ep....

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

blackstarjr

Post by blackstarjr » Apr 22nd, '06, 21:16

just finished watchin ep2.So far sooo good..Two observations that I came across after watchin both eps..WTF :blink is with the picture of Sawamura Ikki, popping up almost in every ep.Well so far to my knowledge there have been 2 in each ep.Sawamura Ikki the guy from Ame to Yume no Ato ni who played the father.Is he dead or something in real life :scratch: Even though he is not even in this dorama, his picture though is shown constantly..lol..Now that's just plain weird..or maybe they just wanted to complete the main cast from Ame to Yume no Ato ni by putting Sawamura Ikki's pic in the dorama, which completes it..lol
From ep1
[img]http://www.picfury.com/w/bscap0005-6-th.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.picfury.com/w/bscap0006-5-th.jpg[/img] <--right hand side wall

ep2
[img]http://www.picfury.com/w/bscap0003-8-th.jpg[/img] <--top right hand corner on the wall
[img]http://www.picfury.com/w/bscap0004-5-th.jpg[/img] <--left hand side billboard

Well the other thing, Teruyo definitely cries a lot..Well she mostly right at the end of each ep..I guess just the buildup from the begnning..hehe..oooh yeah and Fukuda Mayuko, who plays the little girl ghost, I hope she starts talking cus just too weird seeing her for few seconds in the ep now doing anything but stare.Hopefully as the series goes on, she begins to open up and start interacting with the characters..All in all, a really good ep..cannot wait for ep3

firexfly5

Post by firexfly5 » Apr 26th, '06, 01:50

I downloaded this drama when I had nothing to watch. I started the first five minutes and was like "ugh so boring" but then I really started watching it on Saturday and was like WHOAA I LIKE IT A LOT!! XD

i didnt really like kurokawa in gachibaka.. her character was very BLEHHHHHH but in this drama and in ame to yume -- was really good ^_____^

anyway, i cant wait until ep. 3 ~ i kinda want to find out more about yasuko (is that the little girl's name?) -- hopefully in the future episodes =] ..... and that guy whos always speaking a different language in the morning.. LOL who is he?!

i LOVE the theme song of this drama. does anyone know where to download that? XD

rdoll

Post by rdoll » Apr 26th, '06, 16:08

The 2nd episode is good. It explains a lot about Saya. But in my opinion, her story is quite boring compares to Teruyo. And her character is as annoying as Akiko in 'Ame to Yume'. I think it would be more interesting if they just made the whole drama based solely on Kano Tomoko's book "Teru Teru Ashita' instead of crossover between 'Teru2 Ashita' and 'Sasara Saya'. Just hope ep3 will focus on Teruyo's Story again.

gryzze
Administrator
Administrator

Post by gryzze » Apr 26th, '06, 18:20

I'm loving this series so far... Mystery, drama and a lot of fun... :-)

I wonder who's sending messages to her phone... :unsure: (no need to answer :-) )
firexfly5 wrote:i LOVE the theme song of this drama. does anyone know where to download that? XD
I love it too... The single will be released on 2006.05.24... I'll post it as soon as I can find it.

BTW, was this scene cute or what? :lol

firexfly5

Post by firexfly5 » Apr 26th, '06, 23:15

gryzze wrote:I'm loving this series so far... Mystery, drama and a lot of fun... :-)

I wonder who's sending messages to her phone... :unsure: (no need to answer :-) )
firexfly5 wrote:i LOVE the theme song of this drama. does anyone know where to download that? XD
I love it too... The single will be released on 2006.05.24... I'll post it as soon as I can find it.

BTW, was this scene cute or what? :lol

yeah i wonder who's sending those messages too.....

thanks for the info about the song! never knew that.. never heard of the group until now either! =P

LOL~ yeah that scene was really cute!! that little girl looks so familar.. where have i seen her before.. lol

Prince of Moles

Post by Prince of Moles » Apr 27th, '06, 00:42

Yeah I don't understand that bit with Sawamura Ikki either. He's from Kagoshima according to the Japanese websites. :P

I generally like Kimura Tae, but right now of all the characters in the show she's grating on me the most. The rest are great. Kurokawa Tomoka I think it doing a good job depicting a contemporary spoiled little brat.

Looking forward to episode 3!

kvertand

Post by kvertand » Jun 14th, '06, 19:21

The lack of activity in this thread perplexes me :scratch: This has become my favorite show of this season. It also inspired me to check out "Ame to Yume no Ato ni", which I also enjoyed :thumright:

The plot is really thickening now as we're down to the last one or two eps (I'm guessing it's ten eps, anyone know for sure?). It seems Saya's story is pretty much wrapped up, so now the focus can return to the real star of the show...wakaTERUYO!...and maybe we can finally learn Yasuko's secret.

Geezer

Post by Geezer » Jun 14th, '06, 19:36

Re: The lack of activity on a discussion thread for this show.

What's to discuss?

I started watching this show because I really enjoyed "Ame to Yume no Ato ni". I liked the cast, the stories, and I thought the kicker at the end was wonderful.

But this show just seems sort of aimless to me. I've watched 8 episodes now, waiting for something interesting to happen... waiting to find myself getting involved in the story line of the series... but so far, I haven't found anything to care about.

gryzze
Administrator
Administrator

Post by gryzze » Jun 14th, '06, 19:45

I agree with kvertand... This is the show I'm enjoying the most this season... :-)

About the lack of discussion... We've been talking about this in the subtitle thread too, and there were some theories there if you're interested.

Episode 9 was really good and I can't wait to see the next one.

Only 10 episodes? I thought (and hope) there were 11 episodes. We'll see on friday...

@Geezer: You're waiting for something interesting to happen? I think every episode has been interesting... :-)

kvertand

Post by kvertand » Jun 14th, '06, 21:55

Geezer wrote:But this show just seems sort of aimless to me. I've watched 8 episodes now, waiting for something interesting to happen...
Hmm, I think a lot has happened. Maybe not int terms of action, but character development. The relationships have come a long way since the pilot. I do understand your point of view, though. It really depends on what you value, certainly not everyone can agree on what makes a story "interesting".
gryzze wrote:We've been talking about this in the subtitle thread too, and there were some theories there if you're interested.
Thank you, I will check that out :D

Geezer

Post by Geezer » Jun 15th, '06, 00:35

gryzze
I think every episode has been interesting...
Then you are having a lot more fun watching this show than I am... and I envy you for it.

Like I said, I really like this cast. That's why I've watched so much of the show. I just don't find myself wondering, or at this point even wanting to know what happens next.

But hey! This could be the second time in my life when I was wrong about something. :D

[/b]

myke

Post by myke » Jun 15th, '06, 16:11

gryzze wrote:I agree with kvertand... This is the show I'm enjoying the most this season... :-)

About the lack of discussion... We've been talking about this in the subtitle thread too, and there were some theories there if you're interested.

Episode 9 was really good and I can't wait to see the next one.

Only 10 episodes? I thought (and hope) there were 11 episodes. We'll see on friday...

@Geezer: You're waiting for something interesting to happen? I think every episode has been interesting... :-)
me too.....
me too...
every ep. is interesting lol... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

gryzze
Administrator
Administrator

Post by gryzze » Jun 15th, '06, 23:50

There's an episode scheduled next week as well, so there will be a total of 11 episodes... 8)

myke

Post by myke » Jun 16th, '06, 19:32

If next week...then it will be 11 ep... :lol
now Teru2 Ashita is ep9...
so..so..so..
2 more ep to go....

countdown from now lol.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
can't wait to see what happen at the end of the story....

lu_chan

Post by lu_chan » Jun 17th, '06, 20:49

just starting to download the first ep now. I have a quick question. The soft-sub comes in .srt file....can that still be used with WMP? I normally have the .ass file which automatically loads it in.

didn't know where to go with this question. i apologize if it shouldn't be here.

also, i am excited about watching it. . . it seems like the reviews here are interesting. I find that show that start out "confusing" and "weird" really pan out to be great shows, neh?

myke

Post by myke » Jun 18th, '06, 18:20

wah...Teru2 Ashita ep10 is out.... :lol :lol :lol

1 more to go until to the end of the series

kvertand

Post by kvertand » Jun 19th, '06, 04:24

lu_chan wrote:The soft-sub comes in .srt file....can that still be used with WMP?
I will work with WMP provided that you have VobSub installed. Just drop the SRTs in the same directory as the video (make sure it has the same name as the video file).
myke wrote:wah...Teru2 Ashita ep10 is out.... Laugh Laugh Laugh

1 more to go until to the end of the series
Judging from this latest ep, the finale should be a doozy.

:lol at the "Hok-kun" cameo in ep 10.

lu_chan

Post by lu_chan » Jun 19th, '06, 12:42

@kvertand: THANK YOU!! :D I DO have VobSub installed. and, they are already set up in the same directory. again, thanks for information!

lu_chan

Post by lu_chan » Jun 24th, '06, 15:05

i have just started finally watching this show. ANd, fromt he getgo, I am liking it. I find it a bit non-sensical and confusing, and therefore, interesting. I find myself drawn to it. I ended watching the first episode, and i did not know what to make of it. I did not know how i felt about it. BUT< i do know that i want to continue watching it. IT's very weird. perhaps, that is its appeal.

then, again i am attracted to things that are just strange and nonsensical...started with Twin Peaks here in the states..many many moons ago. Probably most in this comm here were rugrats during the time. or just born! heh-heh. ^^;; ugh, i have AGED myself.

Can't wait to catch up and watch the rest.

btw, has anyone had issues with the torrents. I have high=speed but the torrent for the 2nd episode has taken 3days so far! and still not done yet. T_____T any suggestions, clues?

kvertand

Post by kvertand » Jun 24th, '06, 15:26

lu_chan wrote:btw, has anyone had issues with the torrents. I have high=speed but the torrent for the 2nd episode has taken 3days so far! and still not done yet. T_____T any suggestions, clues?
What BT client are you using? Also, it may be the seed/peer ratio...I just started seeding ep 2 again, so maybe that will help a tad.

BTW, I remember Twin Peaks...Now, TTA isn't that fruity :lol But it does have its quirks. It comes to make a bit more sense in the later episodes, when the pivotal plotlines start to resolve.

Haruspex
Fansubber
Fansubber

Teru Teru Ashita Questions

Post by Haruspex » Jun 26th, '06, 22:55

Now that the final episode of ‘Teru Teru Ashita’ has been released, there are a few questions I have regarding the show that hopefully someone(s) here might be able to shed some light on.

As it does require a complete viewing of all the episodes, there might be spoilers here for some of you – watch the entire show before reading further…

What happens to Saya-san’s job with Suehiro-ya now that she’s taken over ‘Sasa-no-Kan?’ Suehiro’s wife still needs the help, but Saya-san needs to take care of the boarding house, so… (Saya-san no Sasa-no-Kan :D)

What happened to Teruyo’s father? He doesn’t show up at all in the final episode, and he isn’t even talked about! Maybe they figure he’ll show up eventually…

Which leads us to the next problem: What about the Amemiya’s huge debt? Seems strange that after a few months on the run because of it, both Teruyo and Keiko head back to Tokyo without so much as a nod to the money they owe or the people who want it back…

What about Teruyo attending Sasara High? Hisayo-sensei went to so much trouble to get Teruyo into that school (including even having her attorney help out), only to have Teruyo walk away from that as well as Sasara…

Why do both Keiko/Yasuko and Teruyo go back to Tokyo at all? Seems they’d be better off staying in Sasara as opposed to returning to Tokyo. Perhaps they’ll think of Sasara as their home town from now on and come back for the Bon Festival each year…

My one real sore point with the series, however, were all the references to ‘Ame to Yume no Atoni.’ They were fun at first, but they soon became a distraction - throwing me out of the story. It bothered me since the series ‘Teru Teru Ashita’ was based on a pair of books completely unrelated to the one for ‘AmeYume.’ It almost made it seem as though the producers weren’t confident with the premise of the show and so had to throw in the odd reference to ‘AmeYume’ to remind the audience of that previous success instead. Ah, well…

Other than the loose ends, I really enjoyed the series. Perhaps the DVD set (which is said to include extended scenes for each episode) will clear up some of these questions.

Haruspex

kvertand

Re: Teru Teru Ashita Questions

Post by kvertand » Jun 27th, '06, 05:27

Haruspex (spoilers):
The thing that bothers me the most is the disappearance of the father. Maybe the actor was contractually obliged to appear only in a few episodes, but it's very strange that there is no mention of him at all in the last ep...

The return to Tokyo is also a little mystifying. Maybe it has to do with Keiko learning something about personal responsibility...Presumably she bit the bullet and declared bankruptcy, and will live a more modest (and independent) lifestyle from now on. Or maybe Sasara was just harboring too many unpleasant memories.

Also, it's possible that the writers may have thought that having Teruyo bid farewell to all her friends would add a little extra emotional punch to the ending.
I watched "Ame" about mid-way through this series, so I missed some of the earlier references. It gives me an excuse to watch it from the beginning so I can catch them all :D

lu_chan

Post by lu_chan » Jun 27th, '06, 13:08

kvertand wrote:What BT client are you using? Also, it may be the seed/peer ratio...I just started seeding ep 2 again, so maybe that will help a tad.

BTW, I remember Twin Peaks...Now, TTA isn't that fruity :lol But it does have its quirks. It comes to make a bit more sense in the later episodes, when the pivotal plotlines start to resolve.
I am using the original BT program. Is there a better one?

You are soo sweet to seed it for me. I just can't seem to understand the long torrent. I seem to find the new torrents out are fast...and this is not TOO old to be a dead torrent.

heh-heh. you remember twin peaks? I am enjoying the "quirkiness" of this jdorama and actually recommended it to a couple of indy filmmaking friends.

i reallly appreciate your help here.

I apologize to everyone here if this is an innappropiate discussion for this thread.

auroragb

Post by auroragb » Jun 27th, '06, 20:43

I get the feeling that the writers were depressed from the series getting such low ratings that they just wanted to get the main arc over with

lu_chan

Post by lu_chan » Jun 28th, '06, 15:08

you are kidding me? so this series did not do well? it did not get good ratings? It IS a little "different". . .but, i am loving it!

@the rest of the community: btw, still having slow torrents episode 3 has now taken officially 3days to upload and i am only half way there...can anyone help here? (again, sorry if it is inappropiate,

Tao Libra

Post by Tao Libra » Jun 29th, '06, 09:01

lu_chan wrote:I am using the original BT program. Is there a better one?
Yes: I strongly recommend µTorrent -- which is also sometimes (correctly) referred to as "MicroTorrent," but is also very often (erroneously) called "UTorrent." [ * ]

You can find it here:
µTorrent Home Page

[ * Irrelevant Nitpicking: - "UTorrent" is technically incorrect because that letter at the beginning is the Greek mu -- which is µ in lowercase, and Μ in uppercase. The lowercase µ is often used as an abbreviation for "Micro," hence the correct name "MicroTorrent." Despite the slight resemblance, µ is NOT the Roman letter U / u -- and yet even the website is "utorrent.com". Go figure.]

auroragb

Post by auroragb » Jun 29th, '06, 14:19

Haruspex wrote:What happens to Saya-san’s job with Suehiro-ya now that she’s taken over ‘Sasa-no-Kan?’ Suehiro’s wife still needs the help, but Saya-san needs to take care of the boarding house, so… (Saya-san no Sasa-no-Kan :D)
iirc, they made up the position because they wanted to help her out a bit without seeming like giving charity
Haruspex wrote:What happened to Teruyo’s father? He doesn’t show up at all in the final episode, and he isn’t even talked about! Maybe they figure he’ll show up eventually…

Which leads us to the next problem: What about the Amemiya’s huge debt? Seems strange that after a few months on the run because of it, both Teruyo and Keiko head back to Tokyo without so much as a nod to the money they owe or the people who want it back…
couple of theories:
1. Father stays on the run, family disowns him somehow and declare bankruptcy
2. sale of the Sasa-no-kan pays for the huge debt. They figure they'll tell dad when they can
Haruspex wrote:What about Teruyo attending Sasara High? Hisayo-sensei went to so much trouble to get Teruyo into that school (including even having her attorney help out), only to have Teruyo walk away from that as well as Sasara…
Why do both Keiko/Yasuko and Teruyo go back to Tokyo at all? Seems they’d be better off staying in Sasara as opposed to returning to Tokyo. Perhaps they’ll think of Sasara as their home town from now on and come back for the Bon Festival each year…
Sasara seems like a device concept, where it provides a service (soul-healing, etc) but a place to stay only if you have a role as a part of the device. With Saya taking over the boarding house, there is no role really for Teruyo and her mom to fill, so they return to the real world. Yah, it doesn't make much sense, but it's how I interpret it.
Haruspex wrote:My one real sore point with the series, however, were all the references to ‘Ame to Yume no Atoni.’ They were fun at first, but they soon became a distraction - throwing me out of the story. It bothered me since the series ‘Teru Teru Ashita’ was based on a pair of books completely unrelated to the one for ‘AmeYume.’ It almost made it seem as though the producers weren’t confident with the premise of the show and so had to throw in the odd reference to ‘AmeYume’ to remind the audience of that previous success instead. Ah, well…

Other than the loose ends, I really enjoyed the series. Perhaps the DVD set (which is said to include extended scenes for each episode) will clear up some of these questions.

Haruspex
Hopefully, there will be a special where they will clear some of that up...

myke

Post by myke » Jun 29th, '06, 14:44

auroragb wrote:
Haruspex wrote:What happens to Saya-san’s job with Suehiro-ya now that she’s taken over ‘Sasa-no-Kan?’ Suehiro’s wife still needs the help, but Saya-san needs to take care of the boarding house, so… (Saya-san no Sasa-no-Kan :D)
iirc, they made up the position because they wanted to help her out a bit without seeming like giving charity
Haruspex wrote:What happened to Teruyo’s father? He doesn’t show up at all in the final episode, and he isn’t even talked about! Maybe they figure he’ll show up eventually…

couple of theories:
1. Father stays on the run, family disowns him somehow and declare bankruptcy
2. sale of the Sasa-no-kan pays for the huge debt. They figure they'll tell dad when they can
Haruspex wrote:What about Teruyo attending Sasara High? Hisayo-sensei went to so much trouble to get Teruyo into that school (including even having her attorney help out), only to have Teruyo walk away from that as well as Sasara…
Sasara seems like a device concept, where it provides a service (soul-healing, etc) but a place to stay only if you have a role as a part of the device. With Saya taking over the boarding house, there is no role really for Teruyo and her mom to fill, so they return to the real world. Yah, it doesn't make much sense, but it's how I interpret it.
Haruspex wrote:My one real sore point with the series, however, were all the references to ‘Ame to Yume no Atoni.’ They were fun at first, but they soon became a distraction - throwing me out of the story. It bothered me since the series ‘Teru Teru Ashita’ was based on a pair of books completely unrelated to the one for ‘AmeYume.’ It almost made it seem as though the producers weren’t confident with the premise of the show and so had to throw in the odd reference to ‘AmeYume’ to remind the audience of that previous success instead. Ah, well…

Haruspex
Hopefully, there will be a special where they will clear some of that up...
wow...what a great conclusion that u conclude there...
although i think the story a quit bit faster in the end of the story...

i agree with u...
hope there will be an extended version on the dvd set..

or may be there will be another continuity of the Teru Teru Ashita... :whistling:

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Jun 30th, '06, 03:59

Tao Libra wrote: [ * Irrelevant Nitpicking: - "UTorrent" is technically incorrect because that letter at the beginning is the Greek mu -- which is µ in lowercase, and Μ in uppercase. The lowercase µ is often used as an abbreviation for "Micro," hence the correct name "MicroTorrent." Despite the slight resemblance, µ is NOT the Roman letter U / u -- and yet even the website is "utorrent.com". Go figure.]
"u" is just the accepted typewritten shorthand for µ b/c scientists and engineers are a lazy bunch and we don't want to waste the time and effort to type out the danged thing when the u gets the point across... i guess it probably amounts to a science/tech/geeky kind of inside joke to see who calls it "u" or "micro"... :scratch:
meh...

lu_chan

Post by lu_chan » Jun 30th, '06, 16:25

Tao Libra wrote: Yes: I strongly recommend µTorrent -- which is also sometimes (correctly) referred to as "MicroTorrent," but is also very often (erroneously) called "UTorrent." [ * ]
You can find it here:
µTorrent Home Page
THANK YOU SO MUCH. I will try this. ^___^

(btw, i am a libra myself. ^_~)

lu_chan

Post by lu_chan » Jul 2nd, '06, 12:25

by the way, i want to thank you all for the information for Utorrent. I am going to download it and use this instead of the one I have and see if that helps. Thanks sooo much!! ^__________^

I can't wait to finish watching the rest of it.

Mike1337

Post by Mike1337 » Jul 16th, '06, 02:05

Does anyone know what phone Teru-chan has? I want it too :lol

lu_chan

Post by lu_chan » Jul 16th, '06, 23:45

wait..you mean her cellphone?

what i want is the promotional stuff they advertised at the end of episode 5..(i think it was episode 5). it looked like books of some sort. anyone know if something like Rinkya or yesasia would sell it?

i would also love to get the glass apple..if they sold it. hheh-heh.

Mike1337

Post by Mike1337 » Jul 16th, '06, 23:53

Yeah, her cellphone. I found out it's the Panasonic P902i, but I heard it's not woking here in Europe if I import it, so I'm still finding out how that network stuff works

lu_chan

Post by lu_chan » Jul 16th, '06, 23:55

@mike1337: YOU GO!! I hope you can get it!! ^______~

Mike1337

Post by Mike1337 » Jul 16th, '06, 23:58

It's not that hard to get it, just look around on ebay and stuff. It would be nice if it also works heheh.

enuyasha

Post by enuyasha » Jul 17th, '06, 00:07

The only thing I didn't like about this series is the little girl, Yusako?

I mean I thought the whole time that she was a ghost stuck on earth cuz of her mother's death and maybe her own suicide?

Spoilers:
When I found out that she wasn't and she was Teru-Chan's mother?

The storyline didn't make any sense to me after we found out that Yusako changed her name to Keiko and yet her ghost or past kept showing Teru what happened to her?

If that person is still alive then how is it possible to even suggest that they're dead?
what did happened to the father?