[Discussion] Busu no Hitomi ni Koishiteru

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
elleyred

[Discussion] Busu no Hitomi ni Koishiteru

Post by elleyred » Apr 11th, '06, 20:21

so this is a new show that is starting today, its staring Inagaki Goro from SMAP, and Murakami Tomoko, also it has kato shigeaki from NEWS, and we'll see how this drama goes, hope its good! here is the link for the wiki
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Busu_no_Hitomi_ni_Koishiteru
can't wait for it :thumleft:

blackstarjr

Post by blackstarjr » Apr 12th, '06, 00:44

After watching the ep, it reminded me of Beauty and the beast with a twist.Would seem like the beast wouldn't be turning into a princess (prince) i don't think..hehe..But all in all, a funny dorama to watch..

guess1

Post by guess1 » Apr 14th, '06, 16:15

oh... i'm so excited for this show
but i can't watch it cause there's no english subs

does anyone know if there is an english summary of ep1?

Minaya

Post by Minaya » Apr 14th, '06, 22:09

yeah from what I've seen so far this is going to be a really funny.

but I'm with guess1, cant watch it without subs...

I'm already wondering if there's no crazy shige (or goro) fan who wants to sub it o.o;

Prince of Moles

Post by Prince of Moles » Apr 15th, '06, 20:46

I watched the first episode and it's pretty damn cruel. And, I can sort of see where this show is headed.

But to summarize, Inagaki Goro is a comedy writer for a TV variety show and he realizes that he's losing his edge for comedy. Just then he meets Murakami Tomoko and realizes that she's perfect for him to get his edge back.

So he invites her to a party. Meanwhile it's made clear that Murakami wants to be an actress and not a comedienne because she hates herself. Being an actress she can forget about who she is temporarily. Being a comedienne means she will have to be herself.

She decides to accept Goro's invitation and go to the party (despite fears of what might happen) and yup, you guessed it, she is laughed at. At the end of the party sequence, she tells him that his sense of humor is not a real sense of humor.

At the end of the show, Goro realizes that she's right and tries to find her to say he's sorry. When he finds her, he finds Murakami trying to be pretty and ends with him wiping make-up off her face saying that that's not who she is. She's not supposed to be cute or good looking, she's supposed to be funny.

So yeah it's kinda funny, but episode 1 was relentlessly cruel. I don't know what the producers of the show plan but I suspect that it'll be (a) looking for the "correct" comedy, (b) discovering what true beauty is, or (c) the true value of a person is different with each person, etc.

Minaya

Post by Minaya » Apr 15th, '06, 21:28

Thank you for the summary... now I might consider watching it without subs... ^^ (nevertheless I still hope someone's going to sub this...)

guess1

Post by guess1 » Apr 18th, '06, 02:36

@ Prince of Moles: thanks for the summary

it's cruel... really?
thought it's suppose to be funny

blackstarjr

Post by blackstarjr » Apr 19th, '06, 18:16

Well looks like I have had a change of heart.After watchin ep2 raw, something just didn't feel right with me (cannot explain how). While I was watching it, most of it was funny and I was laughing along, but by the end of the ep, I decided not gonna watch it this season, gonna put it on my "to watch later on a rainy day" list..Well whenever i get some till will come back to check out an ep or two..but for now, off my watch list until I feel like watchin it again :unsure: :glare:

didia

Post by didia » Apr 22nd, '06, 18:58

is someone doing the subs for this one.... i would really appreciate it

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Apr 23rd, '06, 04:29

Yup. 8thSin is translating and I am editing, and there is even a sub thread already:

http://www.d-addicts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=32671

And the show is funny and heartwarming and far, far, far from cruel at all... It is a great show!!
Last edited by pokute on Apr 25th, '06, 15:21, edited 1 time in total.

martina_SMO

Post by martina_SMO » Apr 25th, '06, 13:31

pokute wrote: And the show is funny and heartwarming and far, far, far from cruel at all... It is a great show!!
I *so* agree with you!! This is going to be my favorite drama of the season!! :wub: I really recommend it :thumright:

8thSin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by 8thSin » Apr 26th, '06, 01:57

BusuKoi ratings took another hit this week :cry:
19.9 - 17.4 - 16.3

Could've been worse though... v/-shaped ratings are rare but do exist! Let's hope for Boku no Ikiru Michi / Boku to Kanojo to Kanojo no Ikiru Michi style ratings :pray:

Anyway... This is a really fun series so far, and it has potential to be a great romance dorama as well. In fact, I have a feeling it will lean more toward romance from comedy. Hopefully this series will make us can laugh, and cry :mrgreen:

Nyshal

Post by Nyshal » Apr 26th, '06, 02:46

awww, the ratings went down again. Hopefully they'll go back up, this series looks like a lot of fun ^_^ Some usually go up again at the end, don't they?

Yeah, I'm guessing this series will be a romance/comedy, but more romance. The moral most likely being not to judge someone on their outside appearance...but hey, some dramas are unpredictable, so you never know :D

8thSin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by 8thSin » Apr 26th, '06, 17:28

A little treat for my fellow Koda Kumi fans. Full version of "Koi no Tsubomi"
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=IX11J5F3
MP3 originally from jpopmusic.com

Full Lyric + Romaji + Translation
ムチャクチャ好きな気持ち
muchakucha sukina kimochi
抑えきれないから
osaekirenai kara

大好きな君に出会す
daisuki na kimi ni tekuwasu
大事なときにはいつも最悪
daiji na toki niwa itsumo saiaku
格好も髪型もなんで
kakkou mo kamigata mo nande
「恋愛に生きる」って決めたはずなのに 空振りのみ
"rennai ni ikiru"tte kimeta hazu nanoni, karaburi nomi
うまくいかない それが人生なんかな
umaku ikanai, sorega jinsei nankana
だけど,どうにもならないって思いたくない
dakedo, dounimo naranaitte omoitakunai
いつかは私を見てくれてると信じてるから
itsuka wa watashi wo mitekureru to shinjiterukara

メチャクチャ好きやっちゅーねん
mechakucha sukiyacchuunen
月曜日も火曜日も
getsuyoubi mo kayoubi mo
誰にも負けへんのに
darenimo makehen noni
心が叫び いつ伝えればいいの
kokoroga sakebi, itsu tsutaereba iino
目が合うだけでドキドキに勝てない
me ga audakede dokidoki ni katenai

気づいたら恋の始まり
kizuitara koi no hajimari
相変わらず日溜まりに
aikawarazu hidamarini
私の心ヤラれています
watashino kokoro,yararete imasu
ほんのちょっとだけの優しさが
honno chotto dake no yasashisa ga
嬉しすぎて何も手につかなかったり
ureshisugite nanimo teni tsukanakattari
恋って恐ろしすぎる
koitte osoroshi sugiru
目で追い始めるときりがないと
mede oihajimeru to kiriganai to
わかっているのに あなたにハマってしまう
wakatte iru no ni, anata ni hamatteshimau

メチャクチャ好きやっちゅーねん
誰にも渡したくない
darenimo watashitakunai
恋の矢あなたに今
koi no ya anatani ima
解き放つ準備はできている
tokihanatsu junbi wa dekiteiru
だけどドキドキがまた邪魔してしまう
dakedo dokidoki ga mata jama shite shimau

メチャクチャ好きやっちゅーねん
月曜日も火曜日も
getsuyoubi mo kayoubi mo
誰にも負けへんのに
darenimo makehen noni
心が叫び いつ伝えればいいの
kokoroga sakebi, itsu tsutaereba iino
目が合うだけでドキドキに勝てない
me ga audakede dokidoki ni katenai

My strong, strong feelings toward you
Can't be tamed

We first met by chance, but now I love you
Why, on important occasions,
I always look worst and my hair messed up?
I thought I've decided to "live for romance", but it's always a swing and a miss
It doesn't go well, maybe that's life
But still, I don't want to think that's the way it has to be
Because I believe that you will notice me one day

I'm really, really in love with you
On any Mondays or Tuesdays
I'll never lose to anyone else
My heart is screaming, but when should I tell you?
My heart would pound uncontrollably just by meeting your gaze

I fell in love with you before I realized it
I'm under the sun as usual
You have captured my heart
Just a little kindness from you,
Makes me so happy I can't even think
Love is so scary
I know I won't be able to take my eyes off once I looked,
But I always end up so into you

I don't want to give it to anyone else,
My arrow of love will go to you now
I'm ready to set myself free from you,
But my pounding heart will get in the way again

On any Mondays or Tuesdays
I'll never lose to anyone else
My heart is screaming, but when should I tell you?
My heart would pound uncontrollably just by meeting your gaze

Nyshal

Post by Nyshal » Apr 26th, '06, 17:30

omg, I seriously love you *____* This song is awesome, plus a translation, can't get much better then that :D

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Apr 26th, '06, 17:43

I'm gonna tell an anecdote and hopefully the real people will never find out about this ;^)

I have these two friends, a married couple. They are both very good looking, but after being married for 15 years they have both become suspicious of other very good looking people... they get along pretty well, but apparently at some point they both decided that maybe marrying someone who was very good looking was a mistake, because being very good looking makes it very easy to manipulate other people, and being able to do that can get out of hand very easily.

I wonder how thoroughly BusuKoi will explore that aspect of things? I think it has already touched on it a bit, at least the case where looks are combined with influence. And then there's the other extreme, which is the presumed theme of the show at this point, where homely people are sometimes easily manipulated... Or people assume that they are easily manipulated even if evidence does not support that belief.

8thSin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by 8thSin » Apr 27th, '06, 15:44

I don't think this series will explore those aspects...

It's probably going to be 2 girls fighting for Osamu, Ebi-chan with beauty, Miyuki with comedy. Ebi-chan doesn't look like to be the manipulative type, just extremely spoiled.

rubychan

Post by rubychan » Apr 27th, '06, 15:53

hmm, this drama reminds me of My name is Kim Sam Soon, a korean drama. I like the ending scene. Its so cute :wub:

8thSin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by 8thSin » Apr 28th, '06, 01:39

We can dream, right?

Tuesday@10PM doramas on Fuji KTV

Winter Tue 22 '03 /CX (KTV) - 僕の生きる道______________ 15.4_14.8_13.5_12.0_13.1_15.9_14.1_15.6_16.4_17.7_21.6
Boku no Ikiru Michi

Winter Tue 22 '04 /CX (KTV) - 僕と彼女と彼女の生きる道 _____19.3_18.9_18.0_19.4_20.5_20.0_20.2_19.0_19.4_23.1_23.2_27.1
Boku to Kanojo to Kanojo no Ikiru Michi

Spring Tue 22 '06 /CX (KTV) - ブスの瞳に恋してる__________ 19.9_17.4_16.3
Busu no Hitomi ni Koishiteru

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Apr 28th, '06, 03:47

Yes! It's gonna swing around, I know it!!

oasis

Post by oasis » Apr 30th, '06, 12:52

do viewership ratings really matter? what could happen if viewership is above or below x.

gryzze
Administrator
Administrator

Post by gryzze » Apr 30th, '06, 13:05

Luckily Japanese dramas aren't discontinued because of low ratings...

Not that these ratings were that low.

I don't understand why people who didn't watch the first episode or the series, decides to watch the final episode... :blink

8thSin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by 8thSin » May 1st, '06, 02:11

oasis wrote:do viewership ratings really matter? what could happen if viewership is above or below x.
Of course, we want our favorite dorama to commercially suceed :roll

I think high rating tend to motivate actors and producers who are still shooting the latter episodes. (I don't know for sure if high % actually motivates them, but I've seen those less than 10% doramas, where they seem to lose all energy near the end of it).

One more advantage of the high ratings is that we get to see more of it. The finale tend to be 30 minute extra rather than 15 minutes for successful series, and sequels are possible.

gryzze wrote: I don't understand why people who didn't watch the first episode or the series, decides to watch the final episode... :blink
I think it's from referrals, like positive feedbacks in work or school.
I actually wasn't going to watch 1L no Namida on Fall, but one of my friend in Japan E-mailed me, and told me it was amazing. I guess if I wasn't getting them from D-A, I would've watched starting the second episode on TV.

raven_frost

Post by raven_frost » May 9th, '06, 01:00

8thSin wrote:I don't think this series will explore those aspects...

It's probably going to be 2 girls fighting for Osamu, Ebi-chan with beauty, Miyuki with comedy. Ebi-chan doesn't look like to be the manipulative type, just extremely spoiled.
It looks like it will be 3 girls with the ex-girlfriend returning at the end of Ep4.

Why does Ebi-chan keep referring to herself as "Yumi" when she's talking? I thought that's quite awkward and I don't know of any friends (well one actually) who speaks in such a manner.

deadd

Post by deadd » May 9th, '06, 01:26

raven_frost wrote: Why does Ebi-chan keep referring to herself as "Yumi" when she's talking? I thought that's quite awkward and I don't know of any friends (well one actually) who speaks in such a manner.
Girls that try to act cute refer to themselves in the 3rd person in Japan.

I thought Murakami said on another show or something that it is based loosely on a real
story...

8thSin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by 8thSin » May 9th, '06, 01:50

It's based on a book of same name by Suzuki Osamu, (Dorama: Yamaguchi Osamu) which is based on his life.

Similarities...
- He married 3 member comedy group Morisanchuu's Oojima Miyuki (Dorama: Oota Miyuki), who is pretty ugly.
- Murakami Tomoko, actress for Miyuki is a fellow Morisanchuu member. Note: One girl in comedy group B2 in the dorama is named "Murakami Motoko" in the credits.
- Yamaguchi Osamu writes for ZBATxZBAT and MuchaDESU! in dorama, while in real life Suzuki Osamu wrote for SMAPxSMAP and MechaIKE!

Except real life Osamu is nowhere near as good looking as Goro-chan, but equally successful. It evens out because Miyuki in real life is far uglier than Murakami even though they are in same group.

[img]http://deco-tokyo.com/tanochuimage/morisanchu.jpg[/img]Morisanchuu, center Murakami, right Oojima.
[img]http://images-jp.amazon.com/images/P/48 ... ZZZZZZ.jpg[/img]Book cover from amazon.

8thSin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by 8thSin » May 13th, '06, 18:17

I just watched ep 5, and it's so good~ My favorite one yet. Such a teaser ending though :lol
I guess I like romance dorama more... B2/Inogashira barely appeared on this episode, and it was kind of touching with lots of slow music. That may be why this is my fav so far. I'm sure a lot of viewers in Kansai Region are disappointed though...

One thing really disturbs me though... Goro-chan running. I know he's pretty bad at sports, but he's still SMAP! Why does he look so weird everytime he runs?

She will lose in the end, but I hope Osamu gets back with his ex!! She is so nice!

musouka

Post by musouka » May 14th, '06, 05:19

8thSin wrote: One thing really disturbs me though... Goro-chan running. I know he's pretty bad at sports, but he's still SMAP! Why does he look so weird everytime he runs?
As soon as he stood up, I thought, "Please don't start running, PLEASE don't start running." I don't know why it really bugs me in this drama when it doesn't in others, but every time Goro starts running in the direction of that ramen shop, I begin to wonder why on earth I'm watching this.

Which isn't really fair, because while the show can really pile on the cheese, I'm really, really enjoying it a lot overall. I'm also pulling for Miyuki regardless of her competition, though. Nothing against the other girls (who really are harmlessly vapid/goshdarn nice), but I really do find Miyuki completely charming. And surprisingly cute at points too, when there aren't other unnaturally pretty women around her in the shot. :p

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » May 14th, '06, 17:36

Hey, what's the big deal?! It's one of the great tropes of anime that EVERYBODY runs to get where they are going in Tokyo!! In Sailor Moon they run from Tokyo Tower to the Narita Airport in one episode...

Scribble

Post by Scribble » May 14th, '06, 23:40

The main "busu" lead may not be slim like how I like it, but I don't think she's ugly AT ALL. I think she's pretty when she puts on makeup and doesn't look like her "just got out of bed" mode.

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » May 15th, '06, 01:58

As soon as Megumi is on screen I can't even remember what the other actresses look like. Rowf!

ladyusagi

Post by ladyusagi » May 15th, '06, 02:08

8thSin wrote:
One thing really disturbs me though... Goro-chan running. I know he's pretty bad at sports, but he's still SMAP! Why does he look so weird everytime he runs?
haha i noticed that too. his legs always flail to the sides or something. maybe it's because of the shoes? it's odd because in real life goro's hobby is jogging and in 2004 he even won that race thing they did in smapxsmap where they had to run and then change clothes.

there are a lot of moments in this drama where i go :crazy: because it's soo cheesy! but oddly enough, it's not an overbearing cheesy. maybe i'm a little biased because it's goro.

musouka

Post by musouka » May 17th, '06, 16:05

Man! Now I have to wait another week?! An hour is way too short!!
I don't think I've ever been so torn over a scene like the one where he hugged his ex. On the one hand, I thought this ep really set them up in a believeable way, but on the other, noooooo, poor Miyuki! After she worked so hard to make him that sweater! ::cries::

And Osamu is kind of a dickhead. For six eps he's done pretty much nothing but jerk Miyuki around...I hope he stops pretty soon, because if he doesn't, it's going to get hard for me to believe Miyuki ends up with a guy that treats her so badly!

Yukster

Post by Yukster » May 18th, '06, 06:37

This one is turning out to be one of my favorites this season...

@musouka
Come on now... aren't we being a little hard on Osamu?

When you become my age, and have gone through your fair share of failed relationships, there is always one girl that you just can't forget... whether in a positive way or negative way. I am sure that is the case for most guys.

Personally I am hoping that Osamu ends up with Miyako, even though in the ending credits, it seems like he and Miyuki end up together.

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » May 18th, '06, 15:07

Yukster wrote:Personally I am hoping that Osamu ends up with Miyako, even though in the ending credits, it seems like he and Miyuki end up together.
"Seems like"?! Goodness, you must be from Missouri!

musouka

Post by musouka » May 18th, '06, 15:17

My problem isn't that he has unresolved issues with his ex, my problem is that he knows darn well he has these issues but keeps on jerking Miyuki around. I realize he doesn't mean to do it all the time, but he's still being a dickhead in my estimation. Especially in the next episode preview.

raven_frost

Post by raven_frost » May 25th, '06, 01:06

Hope Miyuki isn't subject to yet another emotional rollcoaster ride this week.

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » May 25th, '06, 01:24

Yukster wrote:This one is turning out to be one of my favorites this season...

@musouka

When you become my age, and have gone through your fair share of failed relationships, there is always one girl that you just can't forget... whether in a positive way or negative way. I am sure that is the case for most guys.
I am probably around your age. I had the opportunity to meet my girlfriend from high school a couple of years ago. I didn't like the way she had turned out at all, and I'm sure she felt the same way about me!! So, the girl I couldn't forget has become the girl I will never think about again!

veritati

Post by veritati » May 29th, '06, 02:23

This situation would never happen in real life. If Ebi-chan is my GF, I wouldn't even care if there were other women out there. Come to think of it, why is he dating Ebi-chan in the first place? He never spends any time with her and when he is with her, his mind is somewhere else. Better question yet, why is she with him?

If there are Japanese females in this forum, could you please expostulate as to why really pretty Japanese models or actresses always go for the "abnormal" guys, for instant, Sumo Wrestlers?

musouka

Post by musouka » May 29th, '06, 04:25

Well, in this drama, Ebihara is playing a pretty brainless character. I actually like her a lot, but I can see why he might not want to spend a lot of time with her. It must be hard to really talk to her, and you never see him be open with her. But I guess if all someone wants is a pretty face, a girl like her is perfect...

rickt

Post by rickt » May 30th, '06, 05:29

veritati wrote:If there are Japanese females in this forum, could you please expostulate as to why really pretty Japanese models or actresses always go for the "abnormal" guys, for instant, Sumo Wrestlers?
well, I'm not a Japanese female here but my guess is that they go for Sumo Wrestlers because they are famous and rich? plus maybe the girls think "oh he's big and fat, and I'm pretty and slim.. he should be lucky enough to have me"

OR...
maybe Sumo Wrestlers really have a heart as big as their body's? so they are probably the nicest bunch and girls really do fall for them... :unsure:

bangy

Post by bangy » May 31st, '06, 21:26

veritati wrote:This situation would never happen in real life. If Ebi-chan is my GF, I wouldn't even care if there were other women out there. Come to think of it, why is he dating Ebi-chan in the first place? He never spends any time with her and when he is with her, his mind is somewhere else. Better question yet, why is she with him?

If there are Japanese females in this forum, could you please expostulate as to why really pretty Japanese models or actresses always go for the "abnormal" guys, for instant, Sumo Wrestlers?
Yeah I totaly agree with you. When they're together, he doesn't pay enough attention to her. And even in that one kiss scene he jumps away and gets on his laptop for something. How does a girl go for a guy like that? I thought it was rude... >_<

As for Osamu's indecisiveness, it's understandable... there will be times in your life when you like more than 1 woman at a time. You like them each for a specific quality they have, and it's hard to control how you feel or what you like... It's just a matter of picking the BEST and MOST compatible person to want to be with, and that sometimes will take forever to decide. Some men won't ever even decide and try to juggle them -_-.

I think this show's pretty good and believable... except for the Ebi-chan & Osamu dating part since I see or sense no chemistry between the two

@The comments about sumo wrestlers, is this true? lol. Can you show some examples?

ladyusagi

Post by ladyusagi » Jun 2nd, '06, 02:21

ebi-chan doesn't really have a speaking role in this drama. they usually just show her pouting or something. kinda a waste if you ask me because it would make things more interesting if her character actually did something. that's probably why her character and osamu don't have chemistry.

hikkichan

Post by hikkichan » Jun 7th, '06, 08:21

I can't wait for the next one to be uploaded. I had to work while BusuKoi was on last night, so I missed it.

I was dying to watch it because Choshu Koriki made an appearance... lots of Cameos... Koda Kumi should be showing up next week, as well.

Bon_Clay

Post by Bon_Clay » Jun 8th, '06, 15:02

This series is not that funny in my opinion ! it is very hard to get why would the guy like the girl

I might be abit shallow but i main actress is too ugly she is fat and doesn't look great her hair style eww... i just can't watch someone like that on the screens for that long. and the fact that they will be together not very plausible !

i think i might stop this series the first episode started off alright but after watchign 2 and the preview for 3 i think its going down... hence the dropping in the ratings.

PS - need to find a series where the main actress is pretty !

hikkichan

Post by hikkichan » Jun 8th, '06, 15:49

Well, Murakami is one of the partners of the real Miyuki (as you can see where she joined the owarai trio that later formed MoriSanChuu). Their trademark is how fat, ugly, and dasai they are.

Of course, the real life Suzuki Osamu isn't that good looking and he's a bit of a butterball (real life writer for SmaSma and Mecha Ike), it's just the story of how he and his wife met. You can catch a glimpse of them together on the 24 May edition of Mecha Ike during the Shiritori segment.

musouka

Post by musouka » Jun 8th, '06, 17:27

Epiosde 9 is probably the only episode in this drama I haven't liked.
Wow, so both of the pretty women had to fall on their swords in order to clear the playing field? Osamu couldn't come to a realization that he likes Miyuki the best himself? I'm not saying that the women had to turn into raging hell-bitches or anything, just that by having both the women be oh-so-selfless and give him up, it doesn't make it seem like Miyuki won on her own merits.

On the other hand, the proposal in the episode preview made me rather happy...

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Jun 8th, '06, 17:49

@musouka - I agree with your evaluation.

@Bon_Clay - I am disappointed in you.

@everybody - we haven't stopped subbing, we're just taking a necessary break!

musouka

Post by musouka » Jun 8th, '06, 19:45

Bon_Clay, I do think you are being shallow.

Maybe you had different expectations going into this drama. Perhaps you expected that Miyuki would be one of those "Hollywood ugly" girls, where all it takes to make them traditionally beautiful is to dress them up in a nice outfit and maybe take off their glasses. I'm glad that's not the case here.

I think Miyuki is truly cute when her personality shines forth, especially when she's being a little huffy or she's nervous around Osamu. Yes, at first her looks are quite striking in a negative way, but as you watch more and more, it's easy to become attached to her.

I mean, I just don't get how a show like Densha Otoko is supposed to be one of the best drama ever, and this one is supposed to be horrible, just because the genders are reversed. Actually, I think BusuKoi is a step up from Densha Otoko, because Osamu isn't just a pretty face for Miyuki to win, but an actual character with a personality and emotions of his own, and it makes complete sense why he'd fall for her.

Osamu falls for Miyuki, at least, in my opinion, because she makes him feel good. She makes him laugh, he enjoys talking to her, he admires her determination, she inspires him. All of those are good reasons to fall in love with someone. All of them are realistic reasons to fall for someone, because in the real world, there are other factors beyond how traditionally attractive someone is.

Girls aren't just objects to drool over. Sure, Miyuki might not be attractive to you, and that's understandable, but the point isn't for her to be a hot, drool-inspiring lead. The show isn't meant to be a bumbling comedy about "ha ha ha, look at the ugly person" either. I think this drama is about exploring people, how they live, and why they fall in love.

If you don't want any ugly people to desecrate your screen, then there are a million other dramas out there with entirely attractive casts. This one is one in a million, and that's why I like it so much. (Just please don't blow the ending, BusuKoi writers!)

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Jun 8th, '06, 19:49

Miyuki is cute!

hikkichan

Post by hikkichan » Jun 11th, '06, 20:35

Ahhh... it's just been so formulative; a bit of wash, rinse, and re-use.

I like Goro-chan, but his character just seems so dense and over-acted at times. Plus, the real Osamu isn't an ikemen writer (yes, he's a real writer for SmaSma and MechaIke)... so, it's just kind of "ehhh". Yes, I know it's a dorama, but the suspension of disbelief is pretty difficult for me this time around.

It's been fun, but sometimes, it just gets annoying. It's one of those shows where you know the outcome and are supposed to enjoy the ride... but, it's just annoying sometimes. This is Murakami's first venture into acting, and she's improved by leaps and bounds since the beginning of the series, but the writers kind of over-did it with her character.

shortcake

Post by shortcake » Jun 13th, '06, 08:52

I just watched the first episode and I loved it!! Definetely the type of dorama you don't see everyday and I'm really glad I stumbled upon it. Hoepfully I won't be dissapointed with the rest of the story. Miyuki iso cute and funny!!

ladyusagi

Post by ladyusagi » Jun 16th, '06, 23:30

goro does tend to overact in this series. either that or he looks wooden. maybe it's the writing or the director i don't know. i've seen him do better. but this little show has turned out to be quite an enjoyment with a few moments of frustrations. well it's ending soon and then i'll have to find a new series to wait for each week.

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Jun 17th, '06, 00:33

Miyuki really carries the show, I think. It's seeing how she deals with the various obstacles placed in her path that makes the show fun. Goro is very wooden, sigh.

musouka

Post by musouka » Jun 17th, '06, 03:48

Well, at least Goro is better than Misaki Itoh from Densha Otoko. Her character was so flat and wooden that I actually had to stop watching the show...

But, yes, Miyuki carries the show. It was amazing how much it hurt when
her dreams of being an actress was dashed. I know she bounced back with comedy, but I guess a part of me was really hoping, despite how unrealistic it would be, that she would achieve her dream of being a serious actress.
Oh well, as long as Miyuki-chan is happy, that's all that matters! :)

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Jun 17th, '06, 15:30

@musouka - I hate to admit it, but I agree about Misaki Itoh... Her character was about a millimeter deep. I really loved Densha Otoko, but not because of the male and female leads ;^)

lu_chan

Post by lu_chan » Jun 17th, '06, 20:36

Phew! found the discussion thread! I was in the subbing thread of this show....discussing the show..anyhoo..
I have to concur with Potuke's earlier sentiments:

1. musouka: I TOTALLY agree with you.
Girls aren't just objects to drool over. Sure, Miyuki might not be attractive to you, and that's understandable, but the point isn't for her to be a hot, drool-inspiring lead. The show isn't meant to be a bumbling comedy about "ha ha ha, look at the ugly person" either. I think this drama is about exploring people, how they live, and why they fall in love.

If you don't want any ugly people to desecrate your screen, then there are a million other dramas out there with entirely attractive casts. This one is one in a million, and that's why I like it so much.
2. @BonClay:
PS - need to find a series where the main actress is pretty !
I , too, am disappointed in you. THough, we are all attracted to OBJECTS of beauty. WIth people, there is definitely more to just looks. however, that being said, you are RIGHTFULLY entitled to your opp.

3. @Potuke & 8thSin: Take the needed break....as much as i am CRAVING the rest. I can understand needing to just have some time off. ^^[/quote]

BaBa

Post by BaBa » Jun 20th, '06, 17:01

About the sumo wrestlers...I have a theory:

Sumo wrestling is the royalty of sports in Japan. So, just as many girls think about marrying a prince no matter how ugly they are (methinks Prince Charles wins hands down in this category), looks carry no weight for sumo wrestlers. :P

As for busukoi...maybe reading the book would be better than the drama. I like this drama a lot, but probably because they have to squeeze a whole book into 12 episodes, I somehow don't feel convinced how osamu can fall for Miyuki. The times they interacted with one another were too far and few. And since the theme is about how personality outshines beauty, one would assume that it'll take a much longer time for love to grow. Especially if Osamu has been one with an eye for beauty all along.

The end is near...and after episode 10, it's pretty much confirmed Miyu is the real Osamu's wife. Wonder if she will release a single for the song? Hope so.

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Jun 20th, '06, 21:30

Sumo is not just the "royalty of sports" in Japan, it is a Shinto sacrament. Sumo is the surviving aspect of an ancient fertility rite.

BaBa

Post by BaBa » Jun 21st, '06, 17:18

Fertility??? How does trying to topple one's opponent translate to fertility rites? Whoever created sumo, sure had a warped sense of fertllity... :P

hmm...I wonder...is being fat a requirement of sumo, or it just came naturally as the heavier one is, the harder it is for the opponent to topple?

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Jun 21st, '06, 20:03

In the past Sumo wrestlers were relatively less fat. Since they have become progressively more fat, it would appear that the answer to your question is yes. They are very muscular as well, but they are so fat now it is hard to tell. In the past a more muscular *appearance* was considered important, but as you surmised, sheer bulk is an advantage. There are a large number of photographs of Sumo wrestlers taken about a hundred years ago that show the change very strikingly. Unfortunately I can't seem to coerce google into showing them, even though I know the photographer was Felix Beato.

By the way, I am not an expert on Sumo, I know almost nothing about it. What I know about it I learned from anthropolgy textbooks.

musouka

Post by musouka » Jun 21st, '06, 20:17

Here's an image that seems to show what you're talking about, pokute. Warning, there is a lot of skin showing and one butt shot, so you probably don't want to view it at work.

As for ep 11, I'm in the middle of watching it right now.
A little bit painful when Osamu's mom wanted to know where the hidden camera was. >_<

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Jun 21st, '06, 22:31

@musouka - Yes, that is exactly what I was talking about. Thanks for tracking that down!

lu_chan

Post by lu_chan » Jun 22nd, '06, 02:30

Fertility??? How does trying to topple one's opponent translate to fertility rites? Whoever created sumo, sure had a warped sense of fertllity...
I can see it being part of a fertility right. If you look at it from an 'animal' standpoint. Most males fight for dominance in order to mate with the female. Maybe it's something similar here. I am sure Pokute knows. ^^;;
As for busukoi...maybe reading the book would be better than the drama. I like this drama a lot, but probably because they have to squeeze a whole book into 12 episodes, I somehow don't feel convinced how osamu can fall for Miyuki. The times they interacted with one another were too far and few. And since the theme is about how personality outshines beauty, one would assume that it'll take a much longer time for love to grow. Especially if Osamu has been one with an eye for beauty all along.
@Baba: I am going to have to say that I find it can be feasible. I don't know what part of the world you are from, but in america, in hollywood movies..In less than two hours, people meet, fall in love and get married. and, there have beeen countless films where they take bookd and compress it into a film. So, I actuallly think having the 12episodes would allow them to explore the book more and really pick it apart to find the gem episodes to progress the story along more quickly.

When you think about it, the first 4eps are the first act, the next 4 the second, the last 4 the final act. In a film, it's like the first 10minutes you set up, the next 20 minutes is the first act, the next 30 is the middle, and the last 20-30 is the final act. MUCH less time. ^^

BaBa

Post by BaBa » Jun 22nd, '06, 13:13

@lu_chan: all those love at first sight, I think the prerequisite is beauty. Since it's supposedly lacking in busukoi, I feel that there should have been more scenes which show how osamu slowly learns to fall for her. Like the earlier scenes where she was practising her lines with him, how she tried very hard to break into the acting industry, he could appreciate her never-say-die attitude in pursuing her dreams. After all, if personality is the key to his undoing, then naturally he should be spending more time to discover all her different facets.

But subsequently, such scenes became less featured, instead other scenes of osamu with what's her name? I always forget his first love's name... :unsure: , miyuki depressed, how she became a comedienne, and next thing you know, osamu proposes to her. I can't read the book, but I'm sure there must have been more interaction between them, before Osamu realised it was love.

But that's just me... :lol

Back to sumo...I've always thought that it wasn't as much a show of superiority/fertility when males fight, it was more to keep the other male from getting to the female. I've just recently started bird-watching, following this osprey project in scotland. The males fight for their territory and also to keep the other males away, but he doesn't get to mate with the female until he has shown her the fish. As in, he had to proved he could provide for the female, before she allows him to mate. And if he doesn't keep up the good work, she will just re-absorb back the egg into her body, instead of laying it. I wonder if there is any country in the world htat treats fishing/hunting as a fertility rite too? :P

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Jun 22nd, '06, 15:28

@BaBa - Everything I know about Scotland came from reading The Expedition of Humphrey Clinker... It can only have been an oversight of Smollett's that he did not discuss the mating habits of the osprey, which, as you describe them, scream out to be included in any catalog of the peculiar traits of the Scottish nation ;^)

BaBa

Post by BaBa » Jun 23rd, '06, 00:38

Here's the link to the site. It has webcam and everything, but read the diary. Especially that of year 2005's. It's quite interesting.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/reserves/guide/l ... y/2005.asp :wub:

Read from bottom up!

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Jun 23rd, '06, 01:43

BaBa wrote:Here's the link to the site. It has webcam and everything, but read the diary. Especially that of year 2005's. It's quite interesting.

Read from bottom up!
Goodness, ospreys engaging in hostile behaviour with a degree of ferocity never before witnessed, eh? Sobering stuff. Quite interesting you say? I would probably be prone to somewhat less adjectival generosity were I not led to be wary of the revenge of the ospreys by the thrilling prose of the osprey observation log of lochgarten.

Ew. I dripped sarcasm on my shoe.

Hey Baba, you're a fansubber, but you have no little banner thingy and your post number is only 32 even though you're a veteran... What's the deal?

nikochanr3

Post by nikochanr3 » Jun 23rd, '06, 02:40

pokute wrote:
BaBa wrote:Here's the link to the site. It has webcam and everything, but read the diary. Especially that of year 2005's. It's quite interesting.

Read from bottom up!
Goodness, ospreys engaging in hostile behaviour with a degree of ferocity never before witnessed, eh? Sobering stuff. Quite interesting you say? I would probably be prone to somewhat less adjectival generosity were I not led to be wary of the revenge of the ospreys by the thrilling prose of the osprey observation log of lochgarten.

Ew. I dripped sarcasm on my shoe.

Hey Baba, you're a fansubber, but you have no little banner thingy and your post number is only 32 even though you're a veteran... What's the deal?
:lol he's busy fansubbing. TRUE fansubbers should have never do things like make banners, post, have a social life, or eat when there are subs to be made! :cussing: GET TO SUBBING DAMN YOU.

:whistling:

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Jun 23rd, '06, 04:12

Pretty soon I expect that 8thSin will be making me busier than anybody deserves ;^)

Of course, since he's the translator, it means he has to be twice (four times?) as busy as I can ever be just to make me busier than anybody deserves. I wish *I* could be a translator... Maybe in about 10 years... sigh. Being an editor is too easy, you get as much attention as the translator, but you always feel like you're really just along for the ride. At least when your translator is as good as 8thSin ;^)

How come all the best translators have "sin" in their nicks?? (Haruspex, if you are reading this, please take my hyperbole for what it is!!)

BaBa

Post by BaBa » Jun 23rd, '06, 16:40

aah pokute...cos I'm just an occasional fansubber, and age has taught me not to be too bothered over status. I am assuming the banner thingy is to distinguish a fansubber from one who is...not. :P

As for my number of posts...mayhaps a banner thingy that says "Top Poster" will make me more inclined to post. But I've always been a firm believer of "it's better to be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and to confirm it". Therein lies my dilemma. And until such time that I can resolve it, I'm pretty much afraid my posts count will stay double digit for quite a while.

Funny that your sarcasm drips...cos mine's all dry. 8)

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Jun 23rd, '06, 16:56

Mine's drip-dry... and it's often worn.

BaBa

Post by BaBa » Jun 24th, '06, 03:35

Iron(y) free? :thumright:

lu_chan

Post by lu_chan » Jun 24th, '06, 14:06

BaBa wrote:. After all, if personality is the key to his undoing, then naturally he should be spending more time to discover all her different facets.
Yes. I see what you are alluding to. I agree with that.
BaBa wrote:. But subsequently, such scenes became less featured, instead other scenes of osamu with what's her name? I always forget his first love's name... :unsure: , miyuki depressed, how she became a comedienne, and next thing you know, osamu proposes to her. I can't read the book, but I'm sure there must have been more interaction between them, before Osamu realised it was love.

Yeh, they do seem to focus on his last relationship which made me feel like his attraction to Myuki was something more out of desire to gain something that he had lost. NOt to mention, it showed to me, that he is not over her.
I am sure there were other moments. BUt, who knows, maybe the writer's thought it would take too much time to write about those aspects of Osamu's love growing.

Your points are all valid and insightful. I can most definitely see where you are coming from. quite honestly, i have not watched the whole thing YET> my japanese is not good, so i can understand bits and bobs. The subs really help. SO, i am only basing my "assumptions" on what i have seen thus far. ^^;;

heh-heh...maybe i should have said that upfront.
BaBa wrote:.The males fight for their territory and also to keep the other males away, but he doesn't get to mate with the female until he has shown her the fish. As in, he had to proved he could provide for the female, before she allows him to mate. And if he doesn't keep up the good work, she will just re-absorb back the egg into her body, instead of laying it. I wonder if there is any country in the world htat treats fishing/hunting as a fertility rite too? :P
heh-heh. Well, if you ask me, THAT describes the scottish woman (i can say that because i am half scots myself. All my family is there. Go back yearly or more). They are a stalwart and independent bunch. heh-heh. SO, i don't think it is just the osprey that have to behave that way. ;p

usagi_on_the_moon

Post by usagi_on_the_moon » Jun 25th, '06, 21:10

I saw the OST out on yesasia..anyone have it yet?