More Asian movie remakes (ranty, not for the sensitive) -__-

Discuss about anything here that doesn't fit in the other categories. Just don't spam.
nikochanr3

Post by nikochanr3 » May 10th, '06, 16:00

I liked The Grudge and The Ring remakes a lot. A lot of the criticsim of those remakes was that they weren't EXACTLY the same as the originals. I liked The Ring better than the original actually, which was very slow moving.

The remake doesn't keep the original from existing. In a lot of cases, even if its small, it creates interest in the oriiginal. I have gotten people to watch Shall We Dance because they liked the premise of the movie but really thought it sucked (the j-lo one) The problem is some things just CANT be remade. It will never work. MY SASSY GIRL is an example. The two stars just work...it can't be duplicated. BUt I cant see sitting here mad at hollywood if they try to capitilize on a great story because it dilutes the idea in the eyes of american audiences, 99.999999999% of which would never have known about it anyway.

Shitty remakes is a problem across hollywood with everything, not just asian movies, and i think we need to not worry about it too much. If we get one great remake among the hundred crappy ones, ti might be worth it. :blink

nikochanr3

Post by nikochanr3 » May 10th, '06, 16:04

Haha, im not sure who wrote it, but for the person who complained about the battle royale possible remake and included a tarantino quote to show how stupid it would be, the person who wants to remake it is (drumroll)

Tarantino!

:lol

duckling

Post by duckling » May 14th, '06, 15:25

Remakes.

Occasionally they're worth it, simply because you get to see a new interpretation, or a closer adaptation of a book. But in the case of Hollywood remaking Asian movies....argh.

I think one of the problems with remaking the original Asian films, is that a lot of the subtleties - relating to the culture - that made the film interesting will be lost. The reason that those films were a success in the first place is because they were made using that culture's influence and style. I don't quite know what words to use, but to me it feels like the original movies were funny/dramatic because they drew on the background of the culture. You don't have to necessarily understand the culture, but you get a sense of what influence it has.

Hollywood has certain formulaes that it uses when making movies. I mean, Hollywood would NEVER make movies such as The Suicide Club, or Battle Royale, or Duelist or even Hero...I don't think that the industry is capable of such ideas or fine execution. I mean honestly, can you picture Brad Pitt, or Johnny Depp or any mainstream Hollywood actor as the assassin in Hero?

(on a random note, even old Hollywood had some good/different movies, like Lord of the Flies...I don't think the current industry could make a 'revised' version of that movie, and make it worth watching)

I'm rather horrified and fascinated as to how altered the Hollywood versions of My Sassy Girl or Oldboy will be. Having watched the original Korean films, I can't imagine Hollywood getting the imagery or the same impact. But then again, I'm sure that the US versions will be americanized.

And also, why are they remaking such recent movies? It feels rather insulting, as if Hollywood is saying..."oh, these Asian movies were pretty good, now let's just ride that wave and rip off our own version because we can do it so much better".

AngelGurl6

Post by AngelGurl6 » May 16th, '06, 03:13

Crazy Penguin wrote: But hey... Sometimes they're selling things as "remakes" and they're clearly NOT remakes, since they just screw up the original story. Just take what has been spilled about The Grudge 2 already. IF it was a remake of Ju-on 2 and IF it would follow the "normal" Ju-on storyline... why is Gellar in the second part?
Thing is with Hollywood movies, the main character always survives whatever it is thrown at them.

I totally agree with most of you guys, especially Groink that Americans have a problem with cultural identity. However, I would also like to add in my 5 cents in as to why Caucasian Americans are being cast in the remake versions. Many of the best Asian actors/actresses can barely speak English or not at all. Those who can speak English generally cannot act that well, or chose lousy roles that doesn't show their versatility as an actor. Take Brenda Song from Disney for example. She keeps accepting the same role, which leaves an impression that she can only act in a comedy show. Even if the blame is on the American's ignorance, I still think Hollywood should show the originals on the big screen because eventually people will learn to accept seeing Asian actors once they get used to it. Just take a look at the D-addict community. We all don't have a problem with Asian actors/actresses because we are used to seeing them. If Hollywood only cast Asians in a role where martial arts apply, then that is all the public is going to accept them for in the media.

In my opinion, I hate some remakes. Asian film have a tendency to incorporate their culture into the movie, which I appreciate. However, when Hollywood remakes the film and cast Caucasian actors/actresses, they have to also cut out any cultural references that is associated with Asians. Therefore, the American public are ignorant of Asian culture unless they learn it from their Asian friends. If Hollywood do leave the cultural references untouched, but still recast the roles to Caucasian actors/actresses, it won't make any sense, like Sarah Michelle Gellar from the Grudge. :goggle:

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by aNToK » May 16th, '06, 04:53

Okay, just saw my first advertisement for the next Keannu Reeves/Sandra Bullock extravaganza "The Lake House".

Okay, so it looks like it's entirely possible to make a version of "Il Mare" that sucks.

Be afraid, be very afraid....

Thought these two were supposed to get together to destroy "My Sassy Girl", what happened there, anyway?

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » May 16th, '06, 05:11

tnom wrote:I'm not sure I follow: how does a bad copy affect appreciation of the original? 99% of my students think "How Deep is your Love?" is a great Westlife song. All of them are wrong. That doesn't make the Bee Gees hit less great, does it?
I... I... I can't understand it... I keep blinking my eyes... But everytime I open them I still see the same thing... My eyes! MY EYES!!

kookieazn

Post by kookieazn » May 16th, '06, 05:22

have you seen the commericals for the new american movie?? i forget what it is call, but it is based off the movie "il mare" it stars sandra bullock and some other white dude sorry i only saw the commerical once.

mallorn

Post by mallorn » May 16th, '06, 10:23

OT: I have. I honestly thought it was some random rom-com again until the lines started to sink in and I thought, 'Hey, that sounds like Il Mare!'. Oh, I don't know. I don't like the trailer that much but I'm willing to give the movie itself a chance.

nikochanr3

Post by nikochanr3 » May 16th, '06, 13:54

aNToK wrote:Okay, just saw my first advertisement for the next Keannu Reeves/Sandra Bullock extravaganza "The Lake House".

Okay, so it looks like it's entirely possible to make a version of "Il Mare" that sucks.

Be afraid, be very afraid....

Thought these two were supposed to get together to destroy "My Sassy Girl", what happened there, anyway?
i threatened their lives.

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by aNToK » May 16th, '06, 19:11

Well, at least they mentioned Sidius' production of Il Mare as the story it's based on. Maybe it will lead some smart souls back to the original...

nikochanr3

Post by nikochanr3 » May 16th, '06, 21:03

aNToK wrote:Well, at least they mentioned Sidius' production of Il Mare as the story it's based on. Maybe it will lead some smart souls back to the original...
They bombed on the casting in my opinion. As for the movie, from everything i've seen, a lot of it is identical. I mean identical.

Riddle me this...the korean film is named IL MARE but they changed the american title to soemthing english. Dumbing things down for an audience is never a good idea. IL MARE is a much prettier and better sounding title.

Childhoodless

Post by Childhoodless » May 17th, '06, 01:22

aNToK wrote:Well, at least they mentioned Sidius' production of Il Mare as the story it's based on. Maybe it will lead some smart souls back to the original...
They're legally obligated to cite the original.

Childhoodless

Post by Childhoodless » May 17th, '06, 01:26

nikochanr3 wrote:
They bombed on the casting in my opinion. As for the movie, from everything i've seen, a lot of it is identical. I mean identical.

Riddle me this...the korean film is named IL MARE but they changed the american title to soemthing english. Dumbing things down for an audience is never a good idea. IL MARE is a much prettier and better sounding title.
Judging from the trailer (which is one of the worst sources to research to make any sort of educated opinion of any movie) The Lake House fits better because that's what it is: a lake house. It's not a house on the beach. It even makes more sense to have it be a lake house rather than beachfront property. Beach homes are extremely costly, and unless you're a celebrity or uber rich, you're not going to get any beach property that's not small and overly crowded with neighbors.

Also, the changing of a name to a film doesn't necessarily equate "dumbing down" something.

x_XJules
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by x_XJules » May 17th, '06, 04:20

wtf.

i'm kinda speechless.

maybe i'm just being biased but they are NOT ALLOWED to touch my sassy girl. i didn't read through the whole list.. but remakes make me sooo sad. sooo incredibily sad. :cry:

and where did someone get that a battle royale remake was going to happen????

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

i love tarantino but not enough to touch my favorite asian movies.

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by aNToK » May 17th, '06, 04:50

One thing I'll give Mister Tarantino credit for was indirectly getting me involved with Asian cinema in the first place.
Watched Kill Bill, thought the schoolgirl assassin was interesting, googled the actress, found Battle Royale, Downloaded and watched a few hundred Japanese and Korean films, had a slow month, watched the first eps of Winter Sonata 'cause I was bored.... and over 2 years later I'm stlll here. Go figure....