Anyone know any good action movies? Like Volcano High

Discuss about anything here that doesn't fit in the other categories. Just don't spam.
Kaosomatic

Anyone know any good action movies? Like Volcano High

Post by Kaosomatic » Mar 23rd, '06, 05:21

I remember the time I watched Volcano High, and it rocked!! does anyone know any good movie/series that is kinda like Volcano High? I likey the good related jet li action stuff with school!! ^_^ Real Bout High School? the anime too is awsome!!

mya

Re: Anyone know any good action movies? Like Valcano High

Post by mya » Mar 24th, '06, 02:37

Kaosomatic wrote:I remember the time I watched Volcano High, and it rocked!! does anyone know any good movie/series that is kinda like Volcano High? I likey the good related jet li action stuff with school!! ^_^ Real Bout High School? the anime too is awsome!!
CHECK OUT.....

SEVEN SWORDS
IRON MONKEY
STORM RIDERS
INITIAL D

WHEN I THINK OF SOME MORE I'LL LET YOU KNOW...

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Mar 24th, '06, 04:41

i thought 'iron monkey' was quite awesome.

you can look at our discussion page on 'volcano high':
http://www.d-addicts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2775

Kaosomatic

Post by Kaosomatic » Mar 24th, '06, 06:34

kool, I heard that Damo is a good one. A recomendation from my korean friend. She helps meh out with some advice on some KDramas and stuff ^_^

Schala

Post by Schala » Mar 24th, '06, 11:13

I haven't seen Volcano High, so I can't really go on much for suggestions, but I really liked Azumi, and I'm pretty sure that'd be consider an action movie. :sweat:

vin(REMIX)

Post by vin(REMIX) » Mar 26th, '06, 13:59

Volcano High was a good action flick. Have yet to find it on DVD yet, but if your looking for a good action movie try "So Close", "Versus", "Vampire Effect", "Tube", "2009 Lost Memories", "Returner", and "Fulltime Killer". All of these I already have on DVD and still finding for more. Maybe could find some movies based on action video games. I havent kept up with finding "Foreign" movies since last summer so i bet a lot have been out.
Anyone fans of "The Eye" and its sequel? haha i know its not an action film but its good creepy type movie.

gymahz

Post by gymahz » Mar 26th, '06, 14:39

woot woot... i love volcano high!! I think its the coolest. Have you watch My wife is a gangster?... its a funny movie.. and the ending is quite action filled.. i think.
I also recommend chinese movies titled Shaolin Soccer and Kung Fu Hustle. These are great movies.. and very funny too. I often go wif action packed and comedy at the same time. eheheh.. I hurd they want to release Kung Fu Hustle 2... cant wait.

Nazgulkiller

Post by Nazgulkiller » Mar 28th, '06, 23:22

New Police Story is really good (Jackie Chan =D) and Battle Royale 1 and 2.
I heard something about Shinobi, haven't seen it yet, currently downloading.

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Mar 28th, '06, 23:32

Yokai Daisenso 2005 is awesome!!

shadow20002

Post by shadow20002 » Mar 29th, '06, 06:20

Shinobi Heart Under Blade is great and is out. Shadowless Sword is also a top-notch one and must got stuffs what you want.

Nashoba

Post by Nashoba » Mar 29th, '06, 06:31

If you want a good martial arts movie I recommend Ong-Bak... it kicks ass :thumright:

Kaosomatic

Post by Kaosomatic » Mar 29th, '06, 06:31

nice, thnx alot, anymore would be of much help, like any on d-addicts?

Kaosomatic

Post by Kaosomatic » Mar 29th, '06, 06:36

Nashoba wrote:If you want a good martial arts movie I recommend Ong-Bak... it kicks ass :thumright:

I remember I saw ong bak, he was attacking with his elbows and he did weird badass stunts which required good flexible skills ^_^

vsm

Post by vsm » Mar 29th, '06, 06:57

For some reason I actually liked the MTV Snoop Dogg dubbed version of Volcano High more than the original language version. Snoop Dogg and friends make it sound real ghetto gangster, more so than the Korean actors could.

blackstarjr

Post by blackstarjr » Mar 29th, '06, 18:33

Well in terms of Volcano high with it's super moves, I would recommend watchin Arahan.Almost on the same level when it comes to the fighting.Well I thought Arahan was much better than Volcano high, story wise.

sidenote: I almost killed myself when I saw the english dub version of Volcano High with snoop dogg & rest of american rappers..lol.That's why I say "no to dub, original rules"

sammem

Post by sammem » Mar 29th, '06, 20:02

Volcano High was really good!!! I also like The Promise and Shinobi.

wingsky

Post by wingsky » Mar 29th, '06, 20:18

What about some older films like A better tomorrow or the young & dangerous films?

You didnt say what kinds of action films you like more, guns or swords? :lol

Kayote

Post by Kayote » Mar 30th, '06, 23:08

Ive said it before on this forum and I'll say it again. I mean no offense to Japanese fans/watchers ofcourse.

Ive been really disappointed with the movies/dramas coming from Japan recently. I downloaded 'Seven Swords', 'Azumi' etc but they all seemed to drag on here and there and none held my interest to last the whole movie. Last piece of entertainment I really enjoyed (and remains to this day one of the best drams EVER) was 'Summer Snow', after that I hardly found anything entertaining from Japan.

Actually I have;nt downloaded any japanese drama since 'From the Heart' simply because they dont hold my interest the way Korean dramas do. 'Goong' is easily my second fav drama after 'Summer Snow'. Add such classics as 'Attic Cat' & 'Ruler of Your Own World' (movies include 'Arahan' & '3-Iron') and you can be forgiven for thinking there is no other entertainment worth following...

HOWEVER! That just changed. You see, Ive just finished watching 'Shinobi' & all I can say is ... W.O.W! From the scenery, music & characters to special effects (ok maybe not the special effects for they are far from the standards set by 'Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon'), this is a beautifully told story.

The story is based on the story of Basilisk (an korean anime ironically) and while I had fear of knowing what will entail, it kept me glued to the end. How big a compliment is that!

I really recommend 'Shinobi' to all the drama/movie fans who think Japanese are going to give in without a fight to the Koreans, which is a very good thing for us watchers the world over. :)

Kay

P.S Here are the links:
Mod edit: Links removed
DO NOT POST DOWNLOAD LINKS TO MOVIES! This includes torrents and any sort of direct downloads!

alcozar

Post by alcozar » Apr 1st, '06, 22:32

I recommend anything by Takashi Miike (Ichi the Killer, Fudoh the New Generation, e.t.c). Battle Royale 1 and 2 are both good (think all these films are japanese).

Also watch Save the Green Planet, and Attack the Gas Station, and Ghost House (3 great korean movies imo).

My Left Eye sees Ghosts, comes to mind as a good Chinese film, (as well as anything by Stephen Chow i.e God of Gamblers, e.t.c).

em_pangit

Post by em_pangit » Apr 5th, '06, 19:00

volcano high's one of my fav teen action movie too :-) tho there's not much movie similar to it ... but you can try iron monkey, shaolin soccer, and the legend of drunken master (jackie chan - 2001 remake)... i enjoyed them very much.. but for a more darker theme try zatoichi (japanese movie)...

for an anime series you've got to see Full Metal Panic the whole series of it, tho fumoffu was my fav.... :-)

Shajiko

Post by Shajiko » May 5th, '06, 09:34

hi :) well i have seen quite some asian movies.

I would recommand:
- Fighter in the wind (drama, action, based on true story, Korean)
- Miyamoto Musashi Mini tv Series(samurai, drama, action, based on true story of
is life,
49 Parts each 42 minutes, Japanese)
- Fearless (Jet Li playing as the Legendary Martial Art Fighter Huo Yuan Jia from
China,
Also true story, Action, drama, Chinese)
- Spin Kick - Taekwonboys (Action, Commedy, Korean)
- Emperor of the Sea (Based on a true figure in that time, action, drama, funny, 18 dvd
each around 3 hours, Korean)
- A Bittersweet Life (Action, Gangster, Korean)
- Bin Jip (Drama, Korean, Pretty fun)
- Musa the warrior (Action, Drama, Korean)
- Tom yum goong (with Tony Jaa, they say its ong bak 2, Action, maybe drama,
Thailand)
- Oldboy (action,drama, pretty weird story but good, Korean)
- Braking News (Action, police and terror stuff, HK)
- House of Flying Daggers (Action, HK)
- Natural City (Sci-Fi, Action, Romance, IMDB-link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0378428/

Well those movies will make your time spend well in my oppinion.

Goodluck with it :)

Amleth

Post by Amleth » May 5th, '06, 10:15

Kayote wrote: Ive been really disappointed with the movies/dramas coming from Japan recently. I downloaded 'Seven Swords'...

The story is based on the story of Basilisk (an korean anime ironically)...
"Seven Swords" is a Chinese, not Japanese, movie written and directed by Tsui Hark.

"Basillisk" anime is actually Japanese not Korean. And the movie is based not on the anime, but on the novel who inspired the anime "Kouga Ninpoucho". A Japanese novel.

"The more you know..." ;).

nikochanr3

Post by nikochanr3 » May 5th, '06, 14:45

Japan has had awesome films lately! Just not action films. =P Seriously, there's a lot of good thoughtful stuff coming from japan, but its more chickish.

Recommendation
S P L. Very slept on HK film last year. It was very good.

bangkok_devious

Post by bangkok_devious » May 8th, '06, 06:45

OoOoOoOh...I get to reccomend stuff now :-)

Once Upon a Time in China---Jet Li, Chinese history, action, nice little plot
Ong Bak-----Tony Jaa, Thai action, some story, Tony Jaa's awesome :lol (and he's hawt)
The One----Jet Li, Sci-fi, pure awesome (Jet Li acts so badass in this movie ^___^)
Magnificent Butcher---Sammo Hung, Chinese history, some comedy, cool action (calligraphy fights, a "cat style" fighter LOL)

Romeo Must Die---Jet Li, US, crime, action, drama, (he fights with zip-ties!!!)
Born to Fight----eh I dunno' the actor's name :| (I watched it on Thai VCD once, never found out his name). Anyways, Thai action, brutal-looking stunts, cute-looking lead actor :wub: and some creative fights (I think)
Unleashed/ Danny the Dog----Jet Li, underground fighting, good plot. Jet Li real-l-l-l-lyyyy rocked in this movie (is he really 40+ ? He just keeps getting hotter as the years go by :lol )

Wierd *_* there's no Japanese action on this list. I guess I haven't seen any :unsure:

vin(REMIX)

Post by vin(REMIX) » Jun 6th, '06, 12:48

Wasnt there a limited movie release in theaters during the first week of june 06 that starred one of the bad guys from jet li's movie "Kiss of the Dragon"? Ive seen the commercial maybe twices and was a short one that announced that it was created by the people from "Transporter" and "Ong Bak". Im guessing Tony Jaa from "Ong Bak" makes an appearance or is starring in this movie as i seen a stunt similar to his Mui Thai style. The stunts seemed pretty hardcore-ish probably from the "Ong Bak" director or writer or whatever and had a few explosions in which the "Transporter" had a few of its own.

garnet07

Post by garnet07 » Jul 23rd, '08, 22:04

Like what others already said, best action films are martial arts ones. Especially the ones without guns.

So anything with Jet Li (his older movies are better kung fu styled than the lame ones out right now) -- In my first year of college before finding out you can download animes and dramas online, I went crazy downloading Jet Li movies. Good luck finding them though because that time I used Kazaa.

Arahan -- Korean movie which is really funny and kind of has a DBZ type of feeling to it. Well at least for the supermoves :whistling:

Anything made by Stephen Chow -- comedy and action packed like Shaolin Soccer and Kung Fu Hustle

Ong Bak -- watch the first one because you'll appreciate how different thai boxing is compared to chinese kung fu (oh the 2nd is called Tom Yum Goong)

Battle Royale -- well not really action more like bloody but unique storyline (think kill bill)

Dororo -- adapted from a manga and its fantasy action-like.

For a lot of older ones, watch Bruce Lee movies. Heck his the original founder of martial arts.

gohan11

Post by gohan11 » Jul 23rd, '08, 22:26

Chocolate
It just came out this year by the ppl behind Ong Bak.
'Chocolate' stars newcomer Nicharee "Jeeja" Vismistananda as an autistic girl who learns how to fight both by absorbing her martial arts skills from what she sees on TV and from the Muay thai boxing school next to her home. When she finds a list of debtors in her sick mother's diary, she decides to go collecting. Her quest leads her to confrontations with criminal gangs and also her father, a member of the Japanese mafia.

no stunt doubles / no cg / even a Jackie Chan'ish stunt outtake reel

Trailer:

P.S. For all you fans of Abe Hiroshi he plays her father.

PocketKiriyama

Post by PocketKiriyama » Jul 23rd, '08, 22:55

vsm wrote:For some reason I actually liked the MTV Snoop Dogg dubbed version of Volcano High more than the original language version. Snoop Dogg and friends make it sound real ghetto gangster, more so than the Korean actors could.
I don't think they were suppose to be ghetto. Kinda weird when koreans talks like black guys.
Anyway, It seems everyone recommended most of the good movies already. I have watched almost everyone one of it.
Ah......there's also Tom Yum Goong.....same action as Ong Bak......and The Restless is a good korean fantasy martial arts.
It would take a whole page for me to list all the movies I've watched. LOL

JenniferB

Post by JenniferB » Aug 18th, '08, 12:32

I really liked Seven Swords.