The Ballad of Suh Dong / Seo Dong Yo (SBS, 2005/6)

Discuss Korean drama series here.
busyizzy

The Ballad of Suh Dong / Seo Dong Yo (SBS, 2005/6)

Post by busyizzy » Dec 28th, '05, 22:25

aka 서동요

Anyone watching this? It's so very intense and very gripping!!! It reminds me of Dae Jang Geum, except more love focused and the main character is a guy. =) If you liked Dae Jang Geum, I think you'd like this!

It's about Seo Dong, aka Jang, who is born the 4th prince of Baek Jae, but his birth came at an inconvenient time, so his mom had to run away and spend her life hiding. He does not know who his father is (thus, does not know he is prince), and he works to fulfill his mother's wish of 'becoming a great man' so he can one day meet his father. He meets the Sung Hwa Princess of Shilla, and they fall in love. Of course, there's the rival. There's much political play at work here in the drama, so it can get really confusing, especially for me who ... well, old-style Korean is not my forte. >_> And have trouble understanding. But, it's really really exciting, and it's my favorite drama this season. ^_^

Anyone else watching? ;o; please~?

sweet kiss

Post by sweet kiss » Dec 29th, '05, 02:20

i really want to watch this but im waiting until subs come out. old korean is defn not my forte either :unsure: but i <3 the main leads: jhj & lby :wub:

shinkou

Post by shinkou » Dec 30th, '05, 04:34

I've only seen bits and pieces of this but it does look pretty good, and I usually hate all those old-time Korean dramas!

JoSungMo

Post by JoSungMo » Jan 3rd, '06, 23:48

This drama must be good .. It's same PD who made Dae Jang Guem is making this one aswell.

it's still airing in Korea though

zdoon
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by zdoon » Feb 9th, '06, 18:22

This show appears to be the bomb.

Too bad my Korean suxorz.

kodoko

Post by kodoko » Feb 10th, '06, 14:56

I wanted to watch this drama too. but i get bad seeding from another website. Have been downloading a week but none of the 40 episodes (currently available) is done. Any recommendations to where I can dowload from?(Not the raws, with English or Chinese subtitles) A million thanks.

limroom9

Post by limroom9 » Feb 13th, '06, 02:24

<3 lee bo young

habukie
AiRen
AiRen

Post by habukie » Feb 13th, '06, 03:04

kodoko wrote:I wanted to watch this drama too. but i get bad seeding from another website. Have been downloading a week but none of the 40 episodes (currently available) is done. Any recommendations to where I can dowload from?(Not the raws, with English or Chinese subtitles) A million thanks.
if you can watch with chinese subs, you can download the files (.rmvb) from BTChina.

kodoko

Post by kodoko » Feb 13th, '06, 16:16

habukie wrote:
kodoko wrote:I wanted to watch this drama too. but i get bad seeding from another website. Have been downloading a week but none of the 40 episodes (currently available) is done. Any recommendations to where I can dowload from?(Not the raws, with English or Chinese subtitles) A million thanks.
if you can watch with chinese subs, you can download the files (.rmvb) from BTChina.
I don't what should I say, I tried to download from BTChina, the speed is so much better.
A million thanks.

Mousie

Post by Mousie » Feb 13th, '06, 17:18

I wouldn't say its like Dae Jung Geum but yes I agree its great!

Ive been watching it weekly. LastWeek didn't have an episode though T_T. cursed Korean New Year Specials!! >_< But I will be getting an episode later today ^___________^.

At the current episode....almost everyone knows he's a prince though >_>. Seodong is going to end soon too T__T. ~cries~

This dynatsy is actually waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay before Dae Jung Geum >_>, like the 4th century or something O_o. This is when Korea was still divided three ways. Dae Jung Geum is waaaaaaay after Wang gun. (The guy that made the three seperate areas into one big Korea :D)

limroom9

Post by limroom9 » Feb 13th, '06, 19:21

i think i remember hearing that the last episode (ep. 60) will air june 1st or so, so we still have some time before being sad about it ending

Mousie

Post by Mousie » Feb 16th, '06, 10:13

here is something I posted elsewhere.

From the creators and makers from Dae Jang Geum comes
Seodong Yo also known as The Ballad of Seodong or Seodong's Song.
[img]http://img.sbs.co.kr/newimg/wizard2/lay ... sula13.jpg[/img]
Cast:
Jo Hyeon-jae: who plays Prince Seo-dong. He was born as an illegitimate son of the Baekje's king but later became the 30th ruler of the Baekje kingdom.
Yi Bo-young: Princess Seon-hwa. She was born as the third daughter of the Shilla king, but was expelled from the palace because Seo-dong spread a scandalous song about her all over the kingdom. She married Seo-dong and helped her husband to be a good and wise king.
Ryu Jin: A Shilla noble man who loves the princess, named Kim Do-ham.
Yi Chang-hoon: A Baekje scientist, Mongna Su Pak sa, who raised Prince Seodong instead of his parents.
Jung Sun-gyoung: A teacher who seems like Lady Choi at first but later changes herself into a character like Lady Han.
===========================

The setting is some around the 4th or 6th Century >_> I don't remember...so in other words its waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay before Dae Jang Geum XD.

It's still airing in Korea...but according to my Mom, its going to be ending fairly soon. Episode 45 was recently released via Valentines Day ^^. Airs every Monday&Tuesday.

The story is lovely! I loves it ^______^.
The guy who plays seodong was also a main character in a another drama Kumiho Hwaejun. Which is a story about the ninetailed fox peoples.

Princess and her King ^^
[img]http://imgnews.naver.com/image/108/2005 ... 5637_1.jpg[/img]

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Feb 18th, '06, 16:41

The Dance to Seo Dong's Song :lol

[img]http://dc2.donga.com/newsinside/dol/yd0501.gif[/img]

[img]http://dc2.donga.com/newsinside/dol/yd0502.gif[/img]

[img]http://dc2.donga.com/newsinside/dol/yd0503.gif[/img]

... SCNR XD (sorry could not resist)

source: johyunjae.cn

Mousie

Post by Mousie » Feb 28th, '06, 22:57

rofl..youre evil XD
btw...is there a chance that subs for this spectacular drama will be out soon? ^^

Jannah
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by Jannah » Mar 1st, '06, 09:52

Mousie wrote:rofl..youre evil XD
btw...is there a chance that subs for this spectacular drama will be out soon? ^^
It wouldn't be soon, but an English-subbed DVD release is likely.

Mousie

Post by Mousie » Mar 1st, '06, 17:13

Thats a shame...I found a place to download RAWS. but its not from the way beginning. its like..the 10 more recent episodes or something =/. I have RAWS but because Im not frequent in Korean...I either watch it with my mom :P or pic out words I can understand and just analyze whats happening o_O.

busyizzy

Post by busyizzy » Mar 2nd, '06, 00:01

You can find the raws for all the episodes on clubbox ...

And there are detailed episode summaries on Soompi. If I am unsure of what happened, especially with the political talk, I just read those summaries. They're pretty helpful. xD

Miaka FY
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Miaka FY » Mar 2nd, '06, 04:11

omg ..i'm really like the old serie..
i saw in youtube something about that ...and want download it
still who have in a clubbox...and this serie have more 50 episodes ...
if you go in a official site ...you can hear a theme song ..
i'm really like all song from this serie :-)
ps: someone tell me who have in a clubbox ^^ thank

Mousie

Post by Mousie » Mar 2nd, '06, 07:26

@ bizzy, yeah but people tend to take it off after a while <_< >_>.
@Miaka (i miss that anime ^^) I have the ost XD.

Jannah
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by Jannah » Mar 2nd, '06, 11:01

I wonder if anyone would be interested to have the 350 MB raw HDTV rips uploaded to D-A's tracker? I have been downloading them off ed2k, up to episode 32 or 33 now...

Mousie

Post by Mousie » Mar 2nd, '06, 13:50

Jannah wrote:I wonder if anyone would be interested to have the 350 MB raw HDTV rips uploaded to D-A's tracker? I have been downloading them off ed2k, up to episode 32 or 33 now...
...your doing the english subs?? O_O......;_; share...

I would help but I only have the 700mb files. episodes 40-49 RAWS.
I would make a clubbox account...but its too troublesome :unsure:. reading the instructions then switching back and forth blaaah.

Jannah
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by Jannah » Mar 2nd, '06, 15:12

Mousie wrote:
Jannah wrote:I wonder if anyone would be interested to have the 350 MB raw HDTV rips uploaded to D-A's tracker? I have been downloading them off ed2k, up to episode 32 or 33 now...
...your doing the english subs?? O_O......;_; share...
I did say raw... 8)

kodoko

Post by kodoko » Mar 2nd, '06, 15:35

I am currently downloading this drama at BTChina. The speed is excellent for the recent episodes (31-47) but the eariler 30 episodes downloading speed are crawling, that why although I have been downloading for 2-3 weeks, it is only around 50 % done. I am not complaining but I would actually want to see this drama soon as the feedback for those who have seen it are pretty good.

Miaka FY
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Miaka FY » Mar 2nd, '06, 15:40

ohh...really interesting here ^^

did someone have a 350 MB MQ version in a clubbox ..
and yes ..it's look like old chinese serie too loll it's a korean old serie ..

yay!!!
ancient vs modern ...who gonna win ... :whistling: ^^

Mousie

Post by Mousie » Mar 2nd, '06, 17:46

This is actually back in the like...the 3rd or 5th century....(I couldn't remember a date or name to save me life -_-).
And around this early century, Korea still had Chinese influence.

and CURSE! ;_; I thought someone was starting to sub it ;_;

lorac
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by lorac » Mar 2nd, '06, 17:59

If you are interested, NVZBL has done episode summary and Priscilla has done some dialogue translation and summary for many of the episodes. You can find these at Soompi or the Hyun Jae section at the Jisub forum...or if you want to read the synopsis without looking thru the threads go to my site. So far the summary/translation is in 4 parts...

http://www.redshift.com/~lorac/seodongyo.html

Above is the link to part one, additional links are within the page, or use the menu:

Korean Guys
Jo Hyun jae
Seo Dong Yo

and....if anyone is beginning to sub the drama, get in touch with Priscilla as she would like to be involved. The jisub link is in the intro...and everyone knows how to get to Soompi!

BTW, the link at the bottom of the page, Dimsum DVDs, has anyone bought them. They say excellent English subs, but I'm wondering if these are the versions with the almost unintelligible English subs ...because at that price how could they be good?!

priscilla

Post by priscilla » Mar 3rd, '06, 21:59

Hi, everyone. This is my first time posting here! Like Lorac already mentioned, I'm translating some of the SDY episodes.... You should check her site for easy find! For now, let me post the latest episode... which is actually one of my favorites... :thumright:

Suh Dong Yoh: EPISODE 49 highlight (summary and translation)
By Priscilla

(King’s guards are pointing their swords towards Jang and Dooil after capturing them.)

King: Is this a conspiracy? Are you scheming? (showing the necklace)
Is the 4th son alive? I asked you if he’s alive! (…) Who is he? Who is he?!

Jang: (looking straight) I am. (What?!) I’m the 4th son.

King: You bastard! (tries to kill him, but the king’s guards, who are actually Jang’s men, point their swords, one at Sun and the other at Heukchipyung.)

Jang: (He stands up, takes away the necklace from the king’s hand and wears it on.) I’m King Weedok’s 4th son, prince Mugang!

King: No way, it can’t be you…

Jang: You didn’t know that, and you told me straight yourself that you killed my father and my brother. So you must fear now.

(To Heukchipyung) You didn’t know that and you trusted me. Now you must feel betrayed.

Heukchipyung: You rascal, I’ll make you pay!

(The king’s soldiers hesitatingly point their swords at Jang and Dooil again)

King: Kill that bastard.

Jang: That’s not a bad idea. Yaksan, when I die, kill that man at the same time!

Yaksan: Yes, my Lord!

Jang: That way, even if I can’t become a king, I’d be making him atone for my father and my brother’s blood. So I’m fine with that. Actually, that would be easier than capturing him alive and making the people judge him. Do you understand?!

(Looking at his captor) This is your king. The man who killed prince Aja and king Weedok! (slowly) Take down your sword. Take it down. (The men hesitate.) Didn’t I tell you to take down your sword!!! (The men slowly surrender.)

King: You bastards!

Heukchipyung: Bastards!!!

Jang: Tie them up! (“Yes!”)

NEXT

Lord 1: What’s happening here? Where did all our personal guards go?

Sadokwang: What are you talking about?

Lord 1: None of our guards are here, not even one. (What?) Merchant Jin, what’s going on?

Sunhwa: Everyone’s safe. Don’t worry.

Sadokwang: What do you mean?

Lord 2: Return our men back to us! (Sunhwa’s guards walk in)

Sunhwa: Even the people standing outside are my men.

Sadokwang: What on earth’s happening?

Sunhwa: There’s an uprising going on right now at the Temple.

Sadokwang: What?

Sunhwa: Thus, you should all stay calm.

Sadokwang: Who is he? Who can dare lead an uprising, and under whose authority?

Wangoo’s voice: It’s prince Mugang!

Lord 1: Aren’t you Wangoo Moojang?

Wangoo: Crown prince Mugang is the only one king Weedok appointed as heir to his throne. To prevent prince Aja's coronation, the present king assassinated him. So King Weedok decided to quietly destroy the present king, and pass down his throne to prince Mugang. But he was murdered on the street before finishing his task. After this, the present king massacred the people who witnessed this, in order to cover up his crime.

Lord 1: Are you saying the rumors are true?

Wangoo: Yes, that’s the king you serve right now.

Sadokwang: But the present king announced the crimes were committed by the 4th prince. Even the man who tried killing prince Aja confessed the 4th prince sent him. How can you prove otherwise?

Wangoo: Right before the 3rd prince passed away, everyone was gathered at the place where the killer Jangdoo was being tried. Do you remember that?

Sadokwang: I do. We were all commanded to be there.

Lord 1: Jangdoo said the 4th prince sent him but that he wasn’t present there.

Wangoo: In order to prove Jangdoo was lying, the king had asked the 4th prince to step forward.

Lord 2: Yes. But the 3rd prince passed away right then.

Wangoo: Prince Mugang was there. And all of you know him well.

Sadokwang: What? We all know him?

Wangoo: Prince Mugang is… Dalsol Jang. (What???)

NEXT

(Yoorim tells Sunhwa Giroo escaped, and that he might be coming to the Temple bringing an army of 300 men)

Dooil: (pointing at their prisoners) So we must keep them locked up until the battle’s over?

Jang: Yes. What’s going on in Sondoksa?

Dooil: Everything should end soon.

(King Sun’s men intercept them. They fight. More of them are coming. Giroo’s there too, yelling “Save the King, save the King!” The king and Heukchipyung are running away.)

Jang: Capture Buyosun! Capture Buyosun!

Dooil: Take cover! Take cover my Lord!

(Jang and Dooil are surrounded by the enemy)

Giroo: Capture Dalsol Jang! Capture Dalsol Jang!

(Daejang’s rebels come to join the fight)

LATER

(Night time filled with fog. Jang’s men are on one side of the valley, Giroo’s men are on the other side, waiting…)

Jang: Are they here yet?

Dooil: They’re coming.

Jang: We must distract them for now. We should all escape and plan new tactics.

Daejang: Where should we meet at?

Jang: In the second mountain. Dooil, go inform this to chief Baek!

Dooil: OK.

(Both armies fight back and forth. Giroo’s more on the offensive but they’re not going anywhere. Silence in the foggy night.)

Giroo: Jang! Jang, do you hear me?!!! I’ve news for you! Master Mokrasu’s dead!

Daejang (looking at the startled Jang): Didn’t Mojin tell you he’s safe?

Jang: He’s just playing with my mind.

Giroo: I shot master Mokrasu with arrows while he was escaping, and he fell into the sea. But he crawled back into the island. I think he decided to kill me to save you. Then… do you know what I did? I cut him with the sword, I did! He was shedding so much blood but I cut him again and again! You should have watched him… How horrible it was, you should have witnessed that with your own eyes!

Daejang: He must be alive. Didn’t you say he’s just playing with your mind?

Giroo: I even told him, the greatest patriot that he is, who Sunhwa is. You know who she is, don’t you? I told him! He really didn’t want to believe it. I also told him who I am. Why I betrayed everyone. He died knowing it all, everything! When he realized the true end of your love, he threw himself down the cliff voluntarily. I may have cut him through with the sword, but in fact, it was you who killed him. He died because of you. You killed him, you did!!!

Daejang: (Holding unto Jang) You musn’t. Don’t listen to him!

Jang: I’ll teach you not to utter the name of the master through your dirty mouth again!!!

Daejang: You musn’t! (Jang runs madly towards Giroo while Giroo orders his soldiers to fire at Jang.)

Jang: Come out! Come out!!! (His soldiers come to protect him, some of them are killed) Why aren’t you coming out! Come out!!!

(Morning time. More fighting scenes. Jang orders them to go towards another direction lest they get trapped, but that road’s blocked. Actually, all road’s are blocked except back to Sondoksa. They decide to go in there.)

NEXT

Giroo: Your majesty!

King: Weesajapyung.

Giroo: Your majesty, forgive me for allowing you to suffer this!

King: I should have trusted in you, in you!

Giroo: But your majesty shouldn’t fear now, they’re all trapped inside Sondoksa.

King: Then go inside and attack them now. Go attack them right now and kill them all!!!

Giroo: They’re all trapped, but they’re too many right now. Thus, we must wait for reinforcement. Then, we’ll attack them at once and exterminate them. So do not worry!

Eunsol: Your majesty! (Bringing princess WY) Your majesty, I caught her trying to escape.

King: You i can't read! Go to hell!!! (Pushing her towards the floor.) You’re the one who brought the 4th prince’s necklace, aren’t you? (Giroo looks puzzled.) Since when did you know? Since when did you know Jang was the 4th son? You love Jang? Rather, you were conspiring against me. You wanted to kill me right from the beginning! Go to hell! I’ll kill you!

(He tries to hit her with the sword but Heukchipyung tries to stop him.)

Heukchipyung: Your majesty, don’t!

King: (Kicking Heukchipyung) How can you explain that she loves Jang? She was actually planning to kill me!!!

Giroo: (To himself) Jang… Jang… It’s Jang…

NEXT

Lord 1: Everything’s too quiet. Do you think the uprising failed? (The private guards come to untie their masters)

Sadokwang: The king escaped? (Yes!) Is Jang captured?

Guard: They’re trapped inside Sondokso, but they’ll be exterminated soon. Go untie them all! (Yes!!)

Lord 1: The king will be suspicious of us now.

Lord 2: That’s right. We were trapped at Jin Ga Kyung’s estate while the king was going through this alone.

Lord 1: What should we do now? Once the rebels are defeated, we won’t have much choice.

Sadokwang: It is not for us to choose anyways. We must wait and see.

NEXT

Daejang: (To soldier) How many do you have right now?

Soldier: 20 men died. Around 25 are lost in the woods. The rest came here.

Dooil: That should be around 60?

Daejang: How many of our men from Weesabu and Chinidae?

Yaksan: Everyone from Chinidae, and around 40 from Weesabu. The rest are hiding in the forest.

NEXT

(Jang’s remembering what Giroo told him.)

Giroo’s voice: I cut him with the sword, I did! He was shedding so much blood but I cut him again and again!

I even told him, the greatest patriot that he is, who Sunhwa is! He really didn’t want to believe it. When he realized the true end of your love, he threw himself down the cliff voluntarily. He died because of you. You killed him, you did!!!

Jang: (To himself.) That can’t be true. I’m being deceived right now…

(Daejang and Dooil walks inside.)

Jang: I’ve no excuse for what I did…

Daejang: I couldn’t help it either…

Dooil: Me either. If we escape by ourselves, all of our men would die here!

Jang: That means the king’s army are blocking all the exits from Sondoksa?

Daejang: Yes. We can’t know for sure how many they are, but I believe they’re blocking everything. Those of our men who aren’t here are hiding in the forest though. But you must leave.

Dooil: Yes, otherwise you’ll face the fate we wanted to give to the present king.

Jang: But our men are in good condition right now. The fact that we’re not being attacked yet means they’re waiting for reinforcement. We must attack them and leave this place before the extra force joins them.

Daejang: Yes, we’ll do that. But if our Lord stays here with us, our men won’t be able to fight freely.

Dooil: Yes, we’d need to secure a large number of us to protect you.

Jang: …

Daejang: My Lord, you need to live in order for us to live! Don’t think anymore, and leave this place with Dooil.

Yaksan: (entering) The boat arrived.

Daejang: Which boat? (Yoorim enters) What’s up?

Yoorim: Wangoo Moojang sent a secret boat through the back river. He told me to bring the Lord back to safety.

Daejang: My Lord, you must leave now. We will all fight back and leave this place alive. We’ll all survive and join you at the second mountain! Actually, even if we all die, you must live!

Yoorim: Yes, my Lord. The back river is still open now, but when more force join them, even that will be blocked. And I’m sure they’ll add more soldiers to guard that entrance as well!

Jang: …

NEXT

Wangoo: When the prince leaves them by riding the boat, that’s when they’ll fight back the army and try to escape.

Sunhwa: Is that the only way?

Wangoo: There’s no other way. Even if they all die, our prince must be saved.

Sunhwa: When do you think the reinforcement will arrive?

Wangoo: Maybe within 2 hours? Thus, he must escape before then.

NEXT

(Jang is still not responding)

Daejang: My Lord, please leave now!

Dooil: Their reinforcement’s coming! Why are you hesitating?

Yoorim: You must hurry.

Daejang: My Lord, you’re not abandoning us. And it’s not your fault we’re here! Besides, we don’t need you to be worrying for us right now! What we need right now is for you to survive so that you can plan ahead a better future for our people.

Dooil: That’s right. That’s what kings are for!

Yoorim: Yes, my Lord. Please go!

Jang: (to Daejang) Take good care of everyone…

Yongak: (entering) My Lord, my Lord!

Jang: Aren’t you the one who went to Choosondo with Mojin?

Yongak: (Yoorim’s hinting him to be quiet) Yes!

Jang: Did you go to Choosondo?

Yongak: Yes!

Jang: Was master Mokrasu safe in there?

Yongak: (looking at others) Yes…

Jang: Is he truly safe?

Yongak: (looking down) Yes…

Jang: Is that true, really??? Giroo said he killed him. What happened? Tell me the truth.

Yongak: Well… actually…

Dooil: Nothing happened. So let’s go!

Jang: Actually what? Actually WHAT!!!?

Yongak: Actually… he passed away.

(Jang is shocked)

Yoorim: I was told master Mokrasu thought of you till the end.

Yongak: Yes. That’s why, even when he was hit by the arrows and was falling off the boat, he told the rest to leave him, that they must finish writing the district laws for you.

(Jang’s eyes become red as he remembers…)

Giroo’s voice: I shot master Mokrasu with arrows while he was escaping, and he fell into the sea. But he crawled back into the island. I think he decided to kill me to save you. You should have watched him… How horrible it was, you should have witnessed that with your own eyes!

NEXT

Daejang: We cannot know for sure how many are waiting for us outside. We don’t know how many batallions are there waiting for us. Thus, we cannot know for sure if victory’s on our side, or if we’re walking towards our own death. However, we cannot just stay here waiting for them to come kill us all. Each one of you, follow your group leader and let’s attack them first. Again, let’s survive! And if we can’t survive, let’s die in honor!

Jang: You must not! (walking in) From now on, I will lead my army.

Daejang: (surprised) My Lord!

Jang: There’s no way for me to live after leaving my people, abandoning them to their fate. Thus, I will lead my people! We won’t separate in groups. Rather, we’ll all stay together and cut through our enemies with united power! That’s the way we can survive!

Trust me! We’ll show them who we are and they’ll have to retreat. In the same way, they won’t be able to defeat us because they cannot move us! Indeed, we’ll cut through them! Then, our enemies will fall!!!

I cannot die... and I shouldn’t die. Not because I’m the prince, but more so because I have work to do after this. I must fulfill the legacy left to me by prince Aja and King Weedok. Thus, let’s cut through the enemy’s force. Let’s unite our hearts and destroy their barriers!

(holding up the sword) Sound the gong! Let all of our brothers outside hear us. Sound the gong!!!

(The gong’s sounding while everyone’s inspired! At once, everyone starts running outside)

NEXT

(Everyone’s listening to the sound of the gong. Gilsan sees a boat going out from Sondoksa, so they think Jang’s escaping through that. The king orders that boat to be captured.)

(The battle’s on! Jang’s men are fighting for dear life, inspired by their leader!)

Jang’s voice: Teacher, help me. Please break down the barricade of our enemy! Though I couldn’t protect you, though I couldn’t be truly honest with you till the end, help me this once… Although I cannot afford to cry over your death right now, have compassion over me and help me…

Eunsol: Japyung! We’re being pushed back! We can’t hold them for much longer.

Giroo: The reinforcement’s not here yet? (not yet) We shouldn’t let them escape. Tell everyone to keep their positions tight!

Eunsol: Yes sir!! (he leaves, but he comes back soon after) The back’s closing down.

Giroo: What? There were rebels waiting in the back?

Eunsol: Yes, if we’re not careful, we’ll all die! We must leave now. Hurry up, hurry! (to the soldiers) Retreat now!

Giroo: Retreat now!!! (He comes face to face with Jang, and they fight but only for a short time) Retreat now!!! (He leaves)

Wangoo: Protect the prince! (to Jang) Get cover, my Lord!

NEXT

Wangoo: My Lord…

Jang: It’s so fortunate to have you all here safe and alive.

Wangoo: My Lord, the army’s following us from behind. You must leave now.

Jang: Bring everyone to the second mountain!

NEXT

King: Follow them. Follow and capture them!

(Heukchipyung tells the king they lost them but Buyosun doesn’t want to give up. They hear people singing outside, the by now popular song:

Wee-duk has Aja
Aja has Mugang.
Mugang has 'jangsu'
…)

NEXT

Jang’s voice: (while walking towards the second mountain) I cannot picture Baekjae without you, teacher. A Palace court without you, an Academy without you, myself without you… I never thought of any of these without you, teacher. Are you really… are you really gone?

NEXT

(Mojin goes to Wonsando looking for Mokrasu. She finds a sandal by the beach, Mokrasu’s sandal. She hugs that.)

Mojin: Master, master, master!!!! (Remembering)

Mokrasu: Mojin…

Mojin: Do you know this is your first time calling me by my first name? But you’re too late now.

Mojin: (hugging him) I don’t expect you to love me. I just don't want you to die, that’s all!

Mokrasu: We don't know what's going to happen to us. How could I ask you to share this big burden with me? What have I ever done for you? Who am I to ask you this?

Mojin: If I knew he’d leave this way, I would have told him at least once… that it wasn’t too late for him to call me by my first name… That I want to be the one he loves even after he dies… I wanted to go anywhere and everywhere together… that I’m willing to receive from him… that I don’t want to be separated from him for even a moment. I would have told him everything… Everything!

(Mokrasu’s on a little cave, unconscious but alive, healing himself by eating healing herbs… Mojin leaves the island without finding Mokrasu.)

(Sunhwa’s father sent a message to the servants telling them to watch over the safety of his daughter till he makes up his mind…)

NEXT

(People are planning the funeral for Mokrasu.)

Jang (entering): We won’t do the funeral for master Mokrasu. (Everyone’s surprised) Now it’s not the time. Not like this. After Haneulchae, I went through so many funerals in a rush, even without finding their bodies. I can’t allow the same to happen to teacher Mokrasu. After the revolution’s over, once I sit on the throne… then I’ll do the funeral for him.

Mojin: (entering) I think so too.

Eunjin: Mom!

Maekdosu: Mojin!

Mojin: I agree with the prince. When you sit on the throne, my Lord, do the funeral accordingly.

Jang: I have… sinned against you once again…

Mojin: The master’s final wishes were for you to establish the district laws. You heard this, haven’t you? (handing out the book) I’ll go to Choosondo and finish what he left undone. Thus you, my Lord, you must succeed in this revolution, and fulfill the wishes of our master.

NEXT

Yoorim: We must count all our ammunition and restructured our men.

Wangoo: We didn’t have many casualties but there are many who were wounded.

Instructor: Our Hanuelchae family and I will take care of the wounded.

Daejang: We need more weapons too. We still have arrows, but not many other armaments.

Maekdosu: We’ll take care of that too. We’ll make the weapons. We have the experience while living in Haneulchae.

Sunhwa: We removed the military forces from Savisong, but we need to take care of the other provinces. We need to gain the cooperation of other merchants that are not related with Merchant Abiji (Giroo’s dad).

Wangoo: Then we need to collect all we have so that…

Jang: No, that’s not right. We can’t work like that. We’ll be caught right away since all of us will need to be moving around.

Daejang: Then how?

Jang: We failed in capturing Buyosun. But right now, he is the one who is most afraid. Our best tactic should be to do an offensive attack.

NEXT

(Princess WY, queen mother and little prince are being tried and punished in public.)

Mother: Your majesty, only once… please forgive us this once. Your majesty!

King: Where are they? Where are the bastards hiding at?

WY: I don’t know, Your Majesty. I really don’t know.

King: You don’t know? You were planning to escape with them and you don’t know? (I don’t…) You already knew Jang’s the 4th son. Did you think you could live after deceiving me like this?

(The king orders the princess and her mother to be punished more.)

Boy: Your majesty! Your majesty, please calm down. You shouldn’t do this!

King: What? I shouldn’t do what? You rascal!

Boy: Your majesty, no matter what, the princess is your sister. If you do this… if you do this…

King: What?! If I do this what?

Boy: The people will say that you…

(The king wounds the boy prince with his sword, losing his control.)

NEXT

Wangoo: Offensive attack?

Jang: We’ll take control of all the 22 districts at once.

Sunhwa: What? All 22?

Jang: Yes.

Wangoo: But we don’t have that many soldiers.

Jang: First of all, we must post written notices everywhere. We’ll let everyone know exactly when and where. We’ll let the people know.

NEXT

Jang’s voice: (written notice) I am Jang, prince Mugang. I am the rightful successor to the throne after King Weedok. Prince Aja, King Weedok and master Mokrasu perished under the hands of the present ruler. I will claim back the possession of the land and of the people. Five days from now, I will take control over all the 22 districts at once.

NEXT

King: (to WY) You stiff-neck! But don’t think I’ll let you go this time!

Haedoju: Your majesty… outside… Jang has posted written notices announcing that he’ll take possession of all the 22 disticts at once!

NEXT:

King: When did he say he’ll do this?

Haedoju: Within 5 days.

King: (to Giroo) Does he have such a large number of soldiers?

Giroo: He’s just trying to scare us.

King: If he sends 100 men to each district, that would make more than 2000 soldiers. And he should have had casualties during the last revolt. How many men does he have to be saying this?

Giroo: Please calm down.

King: How? How on earth did he gather so many soldiers?

Giroo: Your majesty, he cannot possibly take over all the 22 districts. He has something else in mind. Please calm down.

NEXT

Sadokwang: The written notices is scaring the king even more.

Lord 1: But what do you expect? Who could be calm after reading those notices?

Lord 2: What can we do? It says he’ll take over everything!

Sadokwang: By saying he’ll take over all the districts like that, he might mean that he’s all prepared.

Lord 2: Let’s request the king to help us. If we don’t, we may end up losing our districts.

Lord 1: Yes, let’s ask for the king’s protection!

Lord 3: Let’s request a hearing from the King.

NEXT

(The Lords request the king to send the army to their respective districts for protection. That if any one district is invaded, they’ll all be shaken. They insist that most districts don’t have enough personal guards to fight back so they need Weesabu’s help.)

King: That’s it! It’s the Palace court! What they’re after is the Palace! They want me to send my army away to the different districts so they can attack the Palace! Besides, he has his own men infiltrated inside our Weesabu and Chinidae, so they can kill me. Weesajapyung and Heukchipyung, do a thorough search among your men to find any spies there!

NEXT

(Heukchipyung is beating up his men, trying to find out spies among them.)

Giroo: (to princess WY) How large is Jang’s army?

WY: I really don’t know. Jang never told me.

(Giroo and Heukchipyung tells the king they searched for the new members that had entered but they were gone. The king doesn’t believe it, so he orders for more search. Heukchipyung says that it will destroy the morale of his men but the king is scared that his own bodyguards might kill him…)

NEXT

Jang: All our men inside Weesabu and Chinidae left?

Yoorim: Yes! There’s no one left.

Daejang: Those of our men who are still infiltrated are the 55 men inside Haedoju’s guards, and more than 100 spread accoss the other districts.

Jang: We’ll need them during the most crucial time, so tell them to stay put until further notice.

Wangoo: You’re not really planning to take over all the districts right now. So which one whall we invade first?

Jang: Why do you think we’re hiding at this location? I’m pretty sure that Buyosun, since he doesn’t trust his own men, he’ll make many mistakes.

(The king’s soldiers are being punished, making them hold grudges. Heukchipyung tells Giroo he realizes now he’s been blind and deceived, and that merchant Jin disappeared.)

Heukchipyung: Even dogs can recognize the master’s enemies.

Giroo: They had planned this all along, so it was hard to see through their lies. Don’t blame yourself. This isn’t the time.

King: (to himself) They're after the Palace! But I cannot trust my bodyguards nor my own army. What should I do?

Giroo: (to himself) He might have failed to capture the king. But Jang has destroyed the mutual trust of everyone here. Just one word Jang said, and everything’s falling apart.

NEXT

(The Lords are discussing saying that all the punishments and searches are breaking the morale of Weesabu and Chinidae, so they’re becoming useless soldiers.)

Haedoju: All we can do now is use our own guards.

Lord 2: Not everyone has so many guards as you do.

(The king calls them for a meeting)

King: Listen to me! All of you, send 1000 of your men to me. They’re coming into the Palace! But since Weesabu and Chinidae is falling apart, your men must protect me! Send your men right away!

Haedoju: Your majesty! The district Lords are busy protecting their own land and they need help. How can they send their guards here?

King: What? Are you plotting with Jang and Jin Ga Kyung against me? Starting with the closest districts, all of you, send your men here by tomorrow morning. If you disobey, I’ll make you pay!

(Haedoju’s men, Sadokwang’s men, and others come to aid the king.)

King: Today’s the day…

(Giroo tells the king how he had sent all the personal guards to the different areas around the Palace to guard it.)

(The Lords are complaining that they had to send their men to the king while they themselves are left without protection. They also complain how the king’s army is demoralized and the fact that he hurt the little prince.)

Sadokwang: (to himself) This must have been prince Mugang’s intention. The real fight’s about to begin. I must make up my mind soon…

(D-Day: all the districts are saying they’re safe. They just need to check on 3 more districts.)

Heukchipyung: A day has passed but nothing happened. They were just bragging to scare us.

King: You heard everyone’s report?

Giroo: Except from Domo.

Heukchipyung: They’re the farthest away.

(They had found a box, and inside, a messenger from Domo, tied and gagged. He tells the king they’ve been attacked.)

(The Lord of Domo is tied and kneeling down in front of Daejang. The people are watching. Daejang asks the man if he remembers the former Domo District Lord, who was unjustly sentenced and killed. The man says that it was Haedoju who helped him. Daejang tells him he is the son of that old Lord. People are surprised to hear this.)

Daejang: Yes, I am the son. And when prince Mugang sits on the throne, everything will be revealed.

(The people want to join in the revolution. They’re asking for weapons to fight together. Daejang tells them to take care of their lands instead, but the people insist in fighting. They also say that many people in other districts want to join the revolution as well.)

(The messenger from Domo, trembling with fear, tells the king that Jang told him he’ll take over every other district within the following 5 days.)

NEXT

Wangoo: Everything’s turning according to your plan. The Palace’s filled with the District Lords’ guards, making the Lords hold grudges. And the people, not only of Domo, but from all over the other districts are growingly supporting you.

Sunhwa: What will you do now?

Wangoo: Should we start taking over the districts closest from Domo and go up from there? That will unnerve them.

Jang: Yes, that’s how we’ll do it. But we won’t take too long. This time around, we will actually take over all of the 22 districts!

Daejang: What?

Jang: And by doing that, I’ll slowly make him suffocate himself!

END OF EPISODE

For more episode summaries and translations, go to:
Prisci4u Folder: Seodong's Song Episode Translations
Last edited by priscilla on May 3rd, '06, 04:24, edited 1 time in total.

Mousie

Post by Mousie » Mar 4th, '06, 08:00

o_O...Romanasized spellings could use fixing... Seo = suh...the suh is rubbing me the wrong way >_<.

lorac
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by lorac » Mar 4th, '06, 09:56

Suh is a minor matter ... just be glad we have translations! :-)

Mousie

Post by Mousie » Mar 6th, '06, 11:26

hmm..my mother is my personal translator XD. but anyway...

episode 50 available yet?

lorac
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by lorac » Mar 6th, '06, 15:41

I only meant that questioning another Koreans spelling is a minor point, since the words are Romanized in many ways! So, does your mom watch the drama with you? How does she like it, and what pleases her the most? Check the Seo Dong Soompi forum for availability of the file. A notice It is usually posted there first.

Mousie

Post by Mousie » Mar 8th, '06, 13:36

Yes she does. I usually have to watch it with her since shes the one translating it for me. We've done it for a long time :). The way it usually goes, shes watches something. THen me, being bored, decides to sit next to her and see what shes watching. Then I start watching and watchign XD. Until it's me whose like, "mom did you get the next tape?"

Its a fun to bond with my mama :D. THough I'm morely interested in historical dramas than modern ones. ^__^

lorac
Fansubber
Fansubber

episode 50 uploaded

Post by lorac » Mar 13th, '06, 17:01

Episode 50, illustrated version of the synopsis/translation has been uploaded to Hou Leng Jai. Also, priscilla has posted ep 51 text version at Soompi.

http://www.redshift.com/~lorac/seodongyo5.html

naughtynightelf

Seo Dong Yo (Ballad of Seo Dong)

Post by naughtynightelf » Mar 17th, '06, 10:11

Seo Dong Yo (Ballad of Seo Dong?)

Dang it! It's so hard to find anything.. nevermind the torrents for this drama. IT'S DAMN GOOD. Sure it's old historical-ish, but I think it's a real good love/drama/war story.

SOMEONE GET THIS! I am on episode 53, but I want to get this in my hands so I can burn them on DVD!
Attachments
p5.jpg
p5.jpg (45.48 KiB) Viewed 6599 times

lorac
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by lorac » Mar 17th, '06, 16:13

Clubbox is the way to d/l Seo Dong Yo. It's quick, reliable and avialable the same day as shown in Korea....that is considering the time zones. Several CB have the HQ, and LQ.

naughtynightelf

Post by naughtynightelf » Mar 17th, '06, 20:04

man I dunno how to use clubbox.. It seems complicated:s how do I used it? search and dl, like kazaa?

lorac
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by lorac » Mar 18th, '06, 01:54

Both D-Addicts and Soompi have threads explaining how to register and use the program. Give it a try ... or if you have a friend who is Korean, ask them to register you! It can be tricky, but once you get the hang of it I'm sure you will like it ... CB has lots of movies! And like with Seo Dong Yo, we are watching the day of release, even before the video stores get copies.

Mousie

Post by Mousie » Mar 19th, '06, 06:02

lorac wrote:Both D-Addicts and Soompi have threads explaining how to register and use the program. Give it a try ... or if you have a friend who is Korean, ask them to register you! It can be tricky, but once you get the hang of it I'm sure you will like it ... CB has lots of movies! And like with Seo Dong Yo, we are watching the day of release, even before the video stores get copies.
:roll its like download anime... :roll Naruto/Bleach anyone? XD

kodoko

Post by kodoko » Mar 23rd, '06, 16:08

I am currently watching this historical drama Seo Dong Yo. I would say it is really good. As I want to concentrate on watching this drama I decide to put my other dramas on hold. (Tree of Heaven, Goong, Hello! GOD). :D

This drama is fast paced and it does not totally focused on love affairs only but also pass on a lot of knowledge to audience. The show also mentioned quite a bit on historical affairs in Korea which i must admit that i do get lost. :O

However, I am a bit disappointed that this excellent drama series end at episode 55. :-( Initially, I thought it would end at episode 70 like Dae Jang Geum. I did not expect it to end so fast cos I thought someone mentioned that the show would end it run in June? :glare:

Nevertheless, I hope to see more good productions like this in future and no more terminal diseases, loss of memory, non-blood related brother-sister cannot fall in love drama series. :P

Spielbol

Post by Spielbol » Apr 6th, '06, 05:00

My first post and I need to vent my frustration.

Summary: A crappy male version of Dae Jang Geum.

I must disagree as this frustrating drama is average at best as it certainly has some entertainment value, but great???

Expecting he same korean melodramatic, unrealistic cliche with beautiful people when I downloaded this. But, this drama's melodramatic crap is overdone, especially given the length of the drama. The sheer waste of films on displaying 10-20 instances of serendipity between the leading actor/actress is somewhat retarded. The stupid and irrational decisions (I am not even talking about his decisions in regarding to his relationship with the shilla princess) that the male main character Seo dong makes me want to kick his butt. True, these stupid decisions drive the plot and lengthen the drama, but to what end? More stupid decisions and unnecessary deaths leading to a 55-episode "Ahem... the horse is dead so stop beating it, dude" drama. I don't understand korean, but going by the subtitles some of the explanations he mentioned justifying his retarded decisions doesn't even make sense.

I respect the admirable love between the main characters. That's OK because without that it wouldn't be a korean drama and I am sure the audiences would be disappointed. I also enjoyed the technological advances seen in the drama though the way they portrayed paekche make me almost believed that they were the ones who invented the internet. I don't know korean history may be someone can enlighten me how much of the inventions seen in the drama is real history such as if the credit of inventing what seems to be a katana belongs to korea? The military tactics seen is right out from romance of three kingdoms (borrowing arrows like kong min or giving up the emperor jade like sun ce did to borrow troops).

I think the portrayal of the main male character was poor. He did not change his acting throughout the drama. His goddamn facial expression is the freaking same on episode 50 as he was on episode 20. Why the hell do we have to waste half a epsiode during Episode 40-something to explain why the main character is so special as a prince that the professor should help him? May be they should have done a better job in fleshing out the character rather than seeing him in short sequences trying to appear deep in thought as he stared into empty space like a statue for 99th time! By episode 50, I still don't know who the prince as a character is except he is in this forbidden, undying relationship with a ex-shilla princess who had given up everything for him while he seems to make retarded decisions that gets everybody killed. Whatever, I know that during the first ten episodes when he killed his childhood friend. I think he deserves to suffer and he hasn't done anything up to epsiode 50 that changed my mind.

The lead actress is a typical eye-candy who did a decent job of acting the character of the shilla princess. However, I found the antagonist female professor turned paekche princess excellently portrayed. I can understand her point of view... I can understand why she had wanted to tell her brother the true identity of the prince, but stopped because she loves the bastard prince of paekche. It is both dramatic AND realistic. I can understand the inner conflict of her love and hate (because of prince's betrayal and identity) relationship with him. On the other hand, the main male lead acted like she is just a tool. how is this? Seo dong to the paekche princess after embarassing herself to rescue him from death: "Oh I can do whatever you want, but just take back saying that your heart is taken away by me!" WTF? I didn't know he was supposed to be the sensitive type. I think he is deranged.

The main male character is may have personality similar to Yang Guo in the chinese novel of Return of Condor Heros. Although Yang Guo loves and cares about his girl, he makes smart/less irrational decisions and is not selfish enough to get other people killed in the process.

A melodrama devoid of reality with a deranged lead character is legal torture.

RonTheMan

Post by RonTheMan » Apr 6th, '06, 09:25

Wah, you really condemn this drama. And to think that I was on the verge on deciding whether or not to download the series. Now I will just put off the downloading for the time being.

kodoko

Post by kodoko » Apr 6th, '06, 12:33

Spielbol wrote:My first post and I need to vent my frustration.

I must disagree as this frustrating drama is average at best as it certainly has some entertainment value, but great???

Expecting he same korean melodramatic, unrealistic cliche with beautiful people when I downloaded this. But, this drama's melodramatic crap is overdone, especially given the length of the drama. The sheer waste of films on displaying 10-20 instances of serendipity between the leading actor/actress is somewhat retarded. The stupid and irrational decisions (I am not even talking about his decisions in regarding to his relationship with the shilla princess) that the male main character Seo dong makes me want to kick his butt. True, these stupid decisions drive the plot and lengthen the drama, but to what end? More stupid decisions and unnecessary deaths leading to a 55-episode "Ahem... the horse is dead so stop beating it, dude" drama. I don't understand korean, but going by the subtitles some of the explanations he mentioned justifying his retarded decisions doesn't even make sense.

I respect the admirable love between the main characters. That's OK because without that it wouldn't be a korean drama and I am sure the audiences would be disappointed. I also enjoyed the technological advances seen in the drama though the way they portrayed paekche make me almost believed that they were the ones who invented the internet. I don't know korean history may be someone can enlighten me how much of the inventions seen in the drama is real history such as if the credit of inventing what seems to be a katana belongs to korea? The military tactics seen is right out from romance of three kingdoms (borrowing arrows like kong min or giving up the emperor jade like sun ce did to borrow troops).

I think the portrayal of the main male character was poor. He did not change his acting throughout the drama. His goddamn facial expression is the freaking same on episode 50 as he was on episode 20. Why the hell do we have to waste half a epsiode during Episode 40-something to explain why the main character is so special as a prince that the professor should help him? May be they should have done a better job in fleshing out the character rather than seeing him in short sequences trying to appear deep in thought as he stared into empty space like a statue for 99th time! By episode 50, I still don't know who the prince as a character is except he is in this forbidden, undying relationship with a ex-shilla princess who had given up everything for him while he seems to make retarded decisions that gets everybody killed. Whatever, I know that during the first ten episodes when he killed his childhood friend. I think he deserves to suffer and he hasn't done anything up to epsiode 50 that changed my mind.

The lead actress is a typical eye-candy who did a decent job of acting the character of the shilla princess. However, I found the antagonist female professor turned paekche princess excellently portrayed. I can understand her point of view... I can understand why she had wanted to tell her brother the true identity of the prince, but stopped because she loves the bastard prince of paekche. It is both dramatic AND realistic. I can understand the inner conflict of her love and hate (because of prince's betrayal and identity) relationship with him. On the other hand, the main male lead acted like she is just a tool. how is this? Seo dong to the paekche princess after embarassing herself to rescue him from death: "Oh I can do whatever you want, but just take back saying that your heart is taken away by me!" WTF? I didn't know he was supposed to be the sensitive type. I think he is deranged.

The main male character is may have personality similar to Yang Guo in the chinese novel of Return of Condor Heros. Although Yang Guo loves and cares about his girl, he makes smart/less irrational decisions and is not selfish enough to get other people killed in the process.

A melodrama devoid of reality with a deranged lead character is legal torture.
Hahaha, the drama is not that bad. I actually enjoyed the drama in overall. But you are right that the scene which SeoDong borrow arrows from enemy is not an original idea.

But if you say he killed his childhood friend and he deserves to suffer. I would differ from your opinion. Remember, he lived in guilt for ten years and was ostracized from his countrymen. All he wanted to do is to say farewell to his only friend in Shilla before leaving and I guessed it would be human to do so. And he is only ten to twelve years old at that time, he is not mature enough to think of the consequences. It is somehow similar to Dae Jang Geum that when she was a child she caused the deaths of her parents by blurting out her parents 's true identity.

As for the part that he rejected Paekche princess, he is being only truthful to his feelings and do not deceive himself to save his own skin. Isn't it more admirable? He could have led her on till he become the King of Paekche. Remember that part his followers tried to kill Paekche princess to prevent her to blurt out he is the fourth prince. He would rather not be the King than kill the innocent. And where did you get the idea that he caused the death of innocent by making smart/less irrational decisions? (other than his childhood friend) I could not recall at all :scratch: In fact, he gave up the chance of returning to the palace and willing to be condemn as a slave when he saw his people suffering when building the dam. If you are refering to the people who are killed during the process of helping him to become King, I would say this is unavoidable. In war(internal or external), killing and sacrifices are common.

As certain scenes are totally unnecessary. I would agree with you. But which kdrama does not dragged on and on? :-)

naughtynightelf

Post by naughtynightelf » Apr 6th, '06, 18:30

I can see where all the ranting comes from.. but only if you could watch the drama without subs and see the raw version... there are many things said that cannot be translated to eng. Gotta get the original to appreciate.

And yes, understanding the korean custom and tradition and values.. history and other junk will help you understand why ppl do what they do.

lorac
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by lorac » Apr 9th, '06, 04:45

Wow, this is the first real criticism of Seo Dong Yo that I've read in an English forum. Although I don't share the opinion, everyone has a right to express theirs. Keeps the world spinning.

Did you watch the poor quality English subbed version or the Chinese? Maybe that is where the problem lies. Everyone who speaks Korean says the dialogue is poetic and epic. I've watched most of this drama without knowing the dialogue, and found it compelling. I also think that Jo Hyun Jae grew along with the character Seo Dong Yo. BTW, the scenes of silent contemplation is expressive of the Maitreya, 'the contemplative prince" of Buddhism.

For those who are interested, I've posted the English translationfor episode 53, illustrated with images at my site, Hou Leng Jai. Here is a link ... episodes 54 and 55 will follow.

http://www.redshift.com/~lorac/seodongyo6.html

kodoko

Post by kodoko » Apr 9th, '06, 06:09

lorac wrote:Wow, this is the first real criticism of Seo Dong Yo that I've read in an English forum. Although I don't share the opinion, everyone has a right to express theirs. Keeps the world spinning.

Did you watch the poor quality English subbed version or the Chinese? Maybe that is where the problem lies. Everyone who speaks Korean says the dialogue is poetic and epic. I've watched most of this drama without knowing the dialogue, and found it compelling. I also think that Jo Hyun Jae grew along with the character Seo Dong Yo. BTW, the scenes of silent contemplation is expressive of the Maitreya, 'the contemplative prince" of Buddhism.

For those who are interested, I've posted the English translationfor episode 53, illustrated with images at my site, Hou Leng Jai. Here is a link ... episodes 54 and 55 will follow.

http://www.redshift.com/~lorac/seodongyo6.html
I have watched the Chinese-subbed version of Seodongyo. I must say the Chinese subbers have done a excellent job. So I have enjoyed myself watching this drama. I can understand why you and naughtynightelf suggested watch in raw cos the real meaning of the drama is lost through the translation. But non-korean speaking people like Spielbol and me need kind subbers around to help us understand the drama better.

naughtynightelf
And yes, understanding the korean custom and tradition and values.. history and other junk will help you understand why ppl do what they do.
And I agreed with naughtynightelf that Spielbol's frustration comes with poor understanding of the drama, the problem does NOT lies with the subbers. I have gave Spielbol some explanation of why things happened and SeoDong 's actions towards these situations in my previous post.

lorac
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by lorac » Apr 9th, '06, 07:54

have watched the Chinese-subbed version of Seodongyo. I must say the Chinese subbers have done a excellent job.
Actually much of the understanding from the earlier episodes came from people watching the Chinese subbed version. Xia and a couple others at the Seo Dong Yo Soompi forum were instrumental in getting the discussion going, and eventually the Koreans jumped in.

The end result is that Priscilla has been translating and posting complete dialogue from the episodes. It has been a great help. My regret is that good English subs are not available.

I would have watched the drama in any event, but having dialogue translation and people to explain the ancient culture has been a god-send! I was a bit frustrated with Buyeo-jang once he became king, because I did not really understanding "what a king does" and it made me feel he was inneffectual. In reality he was quite clever.

priscilla

Post by priscilla » Apr 9th, '06, 20:33

Hi Lorac! I'm here!!! :D
Spielbol wrote:My first post and I need to vent my frustration.

Hellow Spielbol's, I've just read your comments, and just wanted to give my two cents... honestly, I'm not surprised by your assessment of Seo Dong... After reading tons and tons of Korean Viewers writings about this drama, I felt that for one, Korean viewers of period dramas are scaringly demanding and they too compared this with Dae Jang Guem and felt it lacking... and for two, this drama does bring out lots of 'emotional outburst.' For that, Spielbol, I'm thankful for 'benting' your frustration here and not elsewhere... But although "Dae Jang Guem" may be a better drama over-all, I was never as hooked about that as I am with Seo Dong...

Regarding what you said about Jo Hyun Jae's acting... I guess you have a point. I too was thinking like you while watching this 'superficially.' I was a fan even 'before' this drama, but I stopped watching this right when he came out on screen... feeling I'd be disappointed... and cuz I was watching other things...

But later, I started watching this more towards the middle... and I started to like this drama but I still felt that JHJ was 'too innocent' looking... so, against my own 'fan mentality,' I wrote that "Jo Hyun Jae's a misscast!!!" ~only to regret this later!!! Cuz, as the drama progressed... I 'saw' how this 'innocent' commoner was growing stronger by the minutes... and he was 'changed' right before my eyes!!!! Especially when I went back to the earlier episodes, I started to see the bigger picture, and to understand this character better. Then... Gosh!!! I felt then like apologizing to him for having said that he was a miscast!

I also disagree with your assessment on Jang's charater, especially on how you feel his character kept making stupid mistakes... while translating his dialogues, I was moved again and again by his depth of wisdom and forebearance... And just like 'Lorac' said, the words that would come out of his mouths spoke volumes of the man that was inside him, waiting to be discovered... This is why I want to go back to the earlier episodes and translate what he said... that the world may hear and understand also...

Although much constructive criticism was posted at the Korean Official Forum by the viewers regarding the 'silly battle scenes,' and the inaccuracy of many historical datas, etc... I feel that over-all... more viewers wanted to 'watch' JHJ even more!!! Thus, in the few episodes he didn't have much screen time, the ratings went down... and the Internet Board would be filled with viewers asking "We want to SEE Mu WANG!!!" :lol

BTW, there is a super-expert on K-entertainment who writes his weekly on Korean News, etc. His name's Mr. X, and he too wrote that this drama's producer Lee Byung Hoon's 'worst' drama in 10 years! This is how he said it at:
http://www.twitchfilm.net/archives/005421.html
... when it comes to Lee Byung-Hoon's 서동요 (The Ballad of Seo Dong). The show, which is a few episodes away from passing the ball to Gam Woo-Sung and Son Ye-Jin's 연애시대 (Alone in Love), might very well be Lee's worst in over a decade, but it's still a very exciting, well produced Drama. If anything, the fact it took so long to set things on fire might ruin its chances in the International market. Acting has improved quite a bit, even concerning Jo Hyun-Jae and Ryu Jin, and although there's still a few problems plaguing the show, compared to Lee's older works, 'Seo Dong' has become a very enjoyable show.
THis was my response:
I guess I must agree. This is after all, an SBS period drama... And honestly, even Seo Dong Yoh addicts post at the official forum comments about 'mistakes' they find here and there... (and Korean fans are soooooo demanding!!!) And honestly, I don't think the 'money' was just there for this drama to be compared to PD's previous works... But what makes me sad when I read such comments is that this sentence can be so missconstrued by those who haven't watched this. This might be his worst, but it's still VERY GOOD!!! LEE BYUNG HOON PD's previous works were masterpieces that changed trends in Korea's thinking.. reviving interest for Chinese medicine (Hur Joon) or for the culinary arts (Dae Jang Geum). I watched both so I should know... I didn't watch SANG DO but I know it got great reviews too (though the rating wasn't that great).

Seo Dong's Song shows the sciences, which is not something that 'housewives' could learn at home... something that would change trends... On the other hand, although I do admit Hur Joon was his best drama ever, I don't think I was as obsessed with that as I am right now... You may think it's just because of Jo Hyun Jae factor... Nah... as much as I like him, I came to respect the writer a lot! I like her more than I like the PD! And as much as I love an actor, if the story doesn't appeal to me... I'd rather give it a miss!!! (I still haven't watched LAW FIRM...)

Finally, regarding JHJ's acting... I find it's soooooo funny that even people who writes comments like: "he should have said it louder," or "pronounced it clearer..." "that he looked too tired, etc, etc..." (and I read plenty of them at the forum, asides from the many accolates he gets...) many of the same people end up saying that there are very few actors in Korea his age who could have done it better!
Then, Mr. X wrote back:
yeah, absolutely. Maybe I should be careful when I say it's his worst in 10 years, as he's like the Im Kwon-Taek of TV Dramas. I've seen a few episodes here and there of his 'Joseon 500 years' series from the 80s, and they were so great. He changed it all, essentially, if it weren't for him and a few others we'd still be seeing the same story over and over (Jang Nok-Soo, Jang Heebin, Prince Sado/Lady Hyegyung. Rewind. Repeat).

It's just that expectations are an evil thing, and SBS is frankly a little too superficial to take full advantage of Lee's talents. I'm just speculating here, but I think this'll be Lee's last Drama with them (and now I wish he directed 'Jumong'). I can feel they're limiting his choices. Acting doesn't really have to do with it, it's like they're telling him behind the scenes: "come on, don't go overboard, it's not only old geezers anymore, gotta please the teen crowd!". I would say it's not as good as 해신 (Emperor of the Sea), but for other reasons. If they let the writer and PD go full force, this could have been great, average acting or not. Jo Hyun-Jae's not really at fault, he was given a big role, and people often misunderstand characters, projecting the actors' images into the characters' personalities and expecting that (think Son Chang-Min in Shin Don's first half. People complained he didn't show charisma. Well, no ****. If they knew even a little about the historical figure, they wouldn't have been surprised.)

But I don't want to make it appear as if I don't like the show. I've been enjoying it a lot more than I could possibly expect as of late, and even think JHJ showed improvement. Will probably review it too, but I need to refresh my thoughts, and there's some other 'priorities' now...
AND to all Seo Dong's fans, I could 'rant' on and on about this drama, but I've already written enough I guess... so if you want to read more of my 'babblings' regarding this drama and the actor... you can check this at my XANGA... I'm upgrading the Jo Hyun Jae section so I believe you'll have enough to read to keep you busy for a long time...

http://www.xanga.com/contentfolders.asp ... ews&bflag=

CHEERS!!!

kodoko

Post by kodoko » Apr 10th, '06, 16:06

Thanks priscilla, for sharing the website about the history of Baekje. It really boarden my knowledge about Korea history. You and Mr X mentioned that korean audience are demanding and unforgiving towards historical drama. I guessed I share my views with them. I am also more unforgiving towards mistakes made in historical drama too. Can't really explain why, but somehow felt that when audience watched historical drama, they want facts on historical events and the producers should not misled the audience.

As for Jo Hyun Jae being cast as a prince, never once I thought it was a miscast. In fact, I cannot think of another better candidate than him. He has shown much improvement from when I first watched him on Love Letter and Star Echo. In Seodongyo, I saw him slowly growing from a mischievous lad to an ambitious crown prince. The frustration, anger, anxiety in him, he has handled it well. I love the part when he went to Princess Youyong and made her the offer of working together, the cunning, evil smile he had was really convincing! Actually, I expected him to slowly developed to a cruel but powerful king but was disappointed. Cos though many toils and snares, I think the character of Seodong should not remain as the gentle and mild-tempered king. I would expect anger from him especially when the royals forced him to marry Princess Youyong. This is one part I cannot understand. And are cousins allowed to marry each other in Korea or rather Baekje? I know in the olden days at Egypt, brother and sister were allowed to marry each other to keep the riches and power within the family.

Nevertheless, I feel something seems to be lacking in this drama. Was it the high expections I had from the producers of Dae Jang Geam or is it due to lack of focusness in this drama? Somehow, I expected to see how the King Mu(Seodong) united Korea. (now after reading the story of Baekje, realized it is not the case) But it was not really mentioned in the drama and instead the plot was side-tracked to focus more on the love of Seodong and his Princess Suhwa. The drama should emphasized more towards this area as I thought this is the promise SeoDong made to Princess Suhwa. Quote: "If we cannot be together just because you are a princess and I am slave, I will the King of Baekje. If we cannot be together just because I am from Baekje and you are from Shilla, I will united the two countries." I feel that this the most crucial part of the story as this is reason why Seodong wanted to united Korea but the writer choose to end with the princess sunhwa died of grief. It was a disappointment to me. :-(

After the success of Dae Jang Geam, it is not surprising that people will start to compare this two dramas. Although I personally prefer Dae Jang Geam, I still find this drama Seodongyo enjoyable.

junebaby

Post by junebaby » Apr 11th, '06, 10:06

Wow! all the views here have made me more desperate than ever to get SEODONG YO!

DAE JANG GEUM and HUR JOON are really remarkable in depth and scale- dont' know it anything can top those but if SEO DONG YO is anything like these two, I"m gonna bet my bottom dollar its a trip!
:roll Can't wait !

sorasora

Post by sorasora » Apr 11th, '06, 17:27

this has to be one of my new favorites!! it was gripping and fast paced!! nothing was boring or slow at all!! i think it deserves more popularity. i thought the ending was so sweet,,,, actually more like bittersweet, but overall a superb drama.

priscilla

Post by priscilla » Apr 11th, '06, 19:38

kodoko wrote:Can't really explain why, but somehow felt that when audience watched historical drama, they want facts on historical events and the producers should not misled the audience.
Nice input! I like reading long discussions! BTW... I was curious to know how you got to watch this... Are you Korean? Or else... I was told there's a Chinese translation on this one... Wondering how good the translations were...

Also... I do understand that historical drama viewers are usually more 'serious' watchers... usually older and more mature... thus, they don't expect comedy or silly ranting... but I'm not sure if I agree with you about the 'fact' matter. This is a drama, and it was never the intend of the producer/writer to teach history. What they wanted was to create a beautiful story. It's based on history, but "what's NOT based on history?" This doesn't mean we should take everything we watch as facts. If that were the case... we wouldn't be able to watch anything. We may learn 'some' history, but we should always be weary that it's also mixed with fantasy. It is a known fact that BAEKJAE'S arts were very advanced back then, but I wouldn't think all the 'inventions' shown in the drama were true of back then...
kodoko wrote:Actually, I expected him to slowly developed to a cruel but powerful king but was disappointed. Cos though many toils and snares, I think the character of Seodong should not remain as the gentle and mild-tempered king. I would expect anger from him especially when the royals forced him to marry Princess Youyong. This is one part I cannot understand. And are cousins allowed to marry each other in Korea or rather Baekje? I know in the olden days at Egypt, brother and sister were allowed to marry each other to keep the riches and power within the family..
King Mu was angry, but he had that anger 'hidden' under a stoic mask. You must understand he was like a poker player... even when he was letting his subjects 'do as they wanted' with him, he was playing his card... he was betting that princess Wooyung would give up... he came to trust her that much... So later, Wooyung tells you: "You knew I'd give up..." Or something like this.

One noble said before this: "We shouldn't let the king know how princess Wooyung feels..." (that she really loves him) Cuz then, the king would use that against them all. The problem was... he already knew.... so he was already planning...

For more on this topic, you can check:
My short summary on episode 53:

Ending of episode 53 discussion:

My translation of episdoe 54:
kodoko wrote:Nevertheless, I feel something seems to be lacking in this drama. Was it the high expections I had from the producers of Dae Jang Geam or is it due to lack of focusness in this drama? Somehow, I expected to see how the King Mu(Seodong) united Korea. (now after reading the story of Baekje, realized it is not the case) But it was not really mentioned in the drama and instead the plot was side-tracked to focus more on the love of Seodong and his Princess Suhwa. The drama should emphasized more towards this area as I thought this is the promise SeoDong made to Princess Suhwa. Quote: "If we cannot be together just because you are a princess and I am slave, I will the King of Baekje. If we cannot be together just because I am from Baekje and you are from Shilla, I will united the two countries." I feel that this the most crucial part of the story as this is reason why Seodong wanted to united Korea but the writer choose to end with the princess sunhwa died of grief. It was a disappointment to me.
If I'm not mistaken, the original plot was going to be like this: Jang would become kingl like around episode 30. Then King Mu would unite the 3 kingdoms and Sataek-Giroo was going to help him! But the plot was changed early during the drama... I think mostly for 'historical accuracy' (since again, viewers complaint). Cuz according to history, King Mu reigned for like 41 years? followed by his son~ the last king of Baekjae. Shilla would invade Baekjae and conquer it. THis is why I found Sunhwa's encouragings words in episode 55 'prophetic.' She told her king that his legacy would be more than 'just conquering the lands.' His legacy would be that of 'creating' new farming techniques and better ways of living that would out-live any kingdom...

And yes... back then, cousins married each other to preserve the 'power' within the clan.

priscilla

Post by priscilla » Apr 12th, '06, 03:04

Jo Hyun Jae, chosen “The Man I Want To Marry”
(April 10th, 2006) Translated by Priscilla

[img]http://photo-media.hanmail.net/200604/1 ... .459.0.jpg[/img]

[My Daily = Reporter Nahm Ahn-Woo] Spring is the wedding season, and entertainer Jo Hyun Jae has been picked as the male star most women would like to marry.

The Entertainment Poll Site VIP ran an April survey asking “Which male star would you like to marry?” Among the 13,348 internet voters, Jo Hyun Jae received 1, 170 votes (22.3%) positioning him as a most charming potential husband. Recently, the SBS TV drama “Seo Dong’s Song” ended in a popular note, where he played the character of a tough and yet soft-hearted “Seo Dong.” Through such portrayal, he won the hearts of female viewers, moving many netizens to vote for him.

In addition, the singer Bi, whose popularity goes beyond Asia, landing himself even in the American market, received 1,137 votes (21.3%) and rose to the 2nd position. The new entertainer Joo Ji Hoon, through his impassioned portrayal as a prince “Yishin” in the MBC TV drama “Goong” followed behind, with 4.3% of votes.

Aside from them, the lead voice of the singing group SS501, Kim Hyun Joong and the handsome actor Jang Dong Gun both received 3.7% of votes, landing them the 4th position.

[Entertainer Jo Hyun Jae, picked by the netizens as the male star they want to marry. Photo = My Daily DB]

(남안우 기자 naw@mydaily.co.kr)
(Reporter Nahm Ahn-Woo naw@mydaily.co.kr)

-#1 New Media News MY DAILY (www.mydaily.co.kr) Copyrights (c) 뗌絹?玖? - -무단전재&재배포 금지 -

kodoko

Post by kodoko » Apr 12th, '06, 16:00

This is a drama, and it was never the intend of the producer/writer to teach history. What they wanted was to create a beautiful story. It's based on history, but "what's NOT based on history?" This doesn't mean we should take everything we watch as facts. If that were the case... we wouldn't be able to watch anything.

Yap, I know what you mean. I should have explained myself more clearly. What I am referring to is what Spielbog has written:
don't know korean history may be someone can enlighten me how much of the inventions seen in the drama is real history such as if the credit of inventing what seems to be a katana belongs to korea? The military tactics seen is right out from romance of three kingdoms (borrowing arrows like kong min or giving up the emperor jade like sun ce did to borrow troops).
In the olden days (about a thousand and seven hundred years ago), China was divided into three countries (Wei, Shu, WU). In the country of Shu, they have a very clever advisor KongMing (Zhuge Liang) who used this military tactic borrowing arrows from enemy. They tied small boats together and sailed them in foggy, misty weather along the river and trick their enemy Cao Cao (Country of Wei) into thinking they have laid an ambush and thus send out their army to shoot at the enemy’s boats at full force. KongMing “collected” the arrows and later used the arrows against their enemy Cao Cao. This is what I meant by historical facts. Fantasies, exaggerations are in fact necessary to make the drama more interesting but I feel that using other countries‘history to be used as one’s history would be misleading to the audience. Should 'nt be credit be given? Unless Korea has historical records of using a similar tactic, I will take it as my lack of knowledge.
We may learn 'some' history, but we should always be weary that it's also mixed with fantasy. It is a known fact that BAEKJAE'S arts were very advanced back then, but I wouldn't think all the 'inventions' shown in the drama were true of back then...
If you watch the drama more closely, most of the inventions they did not say they did the invention. But rather, they were improving on the existing technology and creating a similar product.

Fact : Paper- This knowledge of papermaking was used in China before word was passed along to Korea, Samarkand, Baghdad, and Damascus.

Did you remember the first prince (SeoDong’s eldest brother) actually complained Baekje is paying the Chinese a lot for the paper as Korea could not produce paper on their own?

Fact: Silk waving pattern machine - Chinese discovered silk and had their monopoly on silk production. Sericulture reached Korea around 200 BC, when waves of Chinese immigrants arrived there.

SeoDong and Professor Mokrasu was tricked by General Seon and thought the first prince traded the paper production in exchange to save them from being banished to the island. In the end, SeoDong and Professor Mokrasu created (NOT INVENT) silk waving pattern machine in order to compensate for the loss of the rights to the paper production. (Note: Profits for silk was much higher than paper.)

Cheers to the production team of Ballad of Suh Dong to give credits to the rightful country of the inventions. :cheers:
King Mu was angry, but he had that anger 'hidden' under a stoic mask. You must understand he was like a poker player... even when he was letting his subjects 'do as they wanted' with him, he was playing his card... he was betting that princess Wooyung would give up... he came to trust her that much... So later, Wooyung tells you: "You knew I'd give up..." Or something like this.
Mmm. I agreed with you, so he is using dare tactic he used with the Chinese envoy before. That 's very clever of him to make the Princess YouYong to give up her own. I guessed SeoDong really understands her. :roll
If I'm not mistaken, the original plot was going to be like this: Jang would become kingl like around episode 30. Then King Mu would unite the 3 kingdoms and Sataek-Giroo was going to help him! But the plot was changed early during the drama... I think mostly for 'historical accuracy' (since again, viewers complaint). Cuz according to history, King Mu reigned for like 41 years? followed by his son~ the last king of Baekjae. Shilla would invade Baekjae and conquer it. THis is why I found Sunhwa's encouragings words in episode 55 'prophetic.' She told her king that his legacy would be more than 'just conquering the lands.' His legacy would be that of 'creating' new farming techniques and better ways of living that would out-live any kingdom...
So in the end, they decided to change the ending to follow more closely to the Korea history. No wonder I had the feeling somehow they end the drama rather abruptly. :-(

Btw, I am Chinese. :D

priscilla

Post by priscilla » Apr 12th, '06, 22:46

The Ballad Of Seo Dong: EPISODES 1 & 2. Summary & Translations
***By Priscilla

SDY 1_Priscilla's Title: The Child Of Mistake...

SDY 2_Priscilla's Title: The Growing Years I...

************************************************************************************************
The Ballad Of Seo Dong: EPISODES 3 to 4. Summary
***By Priscilla

Priscilla’s Title: JANG, The Growing Years II...

Last edited by priscilla on May 3rd, '06, 04:28, edited 2 times in total.

lorac
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by lorac » Apr 13th, '06, 01:29

The illustrated Seo Dong Yo Episode 55 is posted. Translation courtesy of Priscilla.

http://www.redshift.com/~lorac/seodongyo7.html

priscilla

Post by priscilla » Apr 13th, '06, 14:06

The Ballad Of Seo Dong: EPISODE 5. Summary & Highlight Translations
***By Priscilla

Priscilla’s Title: JANG, The Outsider I...

Last edited by priscilla on May 3rd, '06, 04:21, edited 1 time in total.

priscilla

Post by priscilla » Apr 15th, '06, 05:40

CONGRATULATIONS jo hyun jae for winning the popular awards at the 42nd Baeksang Acting Awards!

Hyunbin won too, but I've been following the internet poll results, and according to it, JHJ was winning BY FAR, so he really deserves this, which is supposed to be given by the people!

I don't agree with many of the other results, especially since I was very sure Uhm Tae Woong was going to win best actors... but I was comforted by seeing sweetie jo winning for his role as Seodong.

Here's a treat for all of you Seodong's fans! Synopsis of episode 6. Honestly though, I find the earlier episodes less exciting... especially since Jang's charisma's still hidden. But episode 7 would start picking up... getting better and better. Till then... ;)

The Ballad Of Seo Dong: EPISODE 6. Synopsis & Highlight Translations
***By Priscilla

Priscilla’s Title: JANG, The Outsider II...

Last edited by priscilla on May 3rd, '06, 04:16, edited 1 time in total.

priscilla

Post by priscilla » Apr 19th, '06, 05:35

The Ballad Of Seo Dong: EPISODE 7. Synopsis & Highlight Translations
***By Priscilla (The story FINALLY starts to pick up!)

Priscilla’s Title: THE PRINCESS & THE RAGGED BOY...

Last edited by priscilla on May 3rd, '06, 04:14, edited 2 times in total.

priscilla

Post by priscilla » Apr 20th, '06, 06:36

The Ballad Of Seo Dong: EPISODE 8. Synopsis & Highlight Translations
***By Priscilla (Read the DIALOGUES IN GREEN!)

Priscilla’s Title: TAKING CHARGE OF ONE'S DESTINY!

Last edited by priscilla on May 3rd, '06, 04:11, edited 1 time in total.

priscilla

Post by priscilla » Apr 24th, '06, 08:15

Tired of highlights? I've decided to just post the link here!

The Ballad Of Seo Dong: EPISODES 9. Synopsis & Highlight Translations
*** Priscilla’s Title: A MAN DESERVING MUCH HONOR!

Last edited by priscilla on May 3rd, '06, 04:10, edited 1 time in total.

junebaby

Post by junebaby » Apr 24th, '06, 15:34

Thanks a lot Priscilla, for the translations. My dvds have poor quality english translations which are really frustrating.
About Jo Hyun Jae, I've seen him in Love Letter; he carries just about the same look . Hopefully JHJ's acting will improve..like some of you have already mentioned here.

This show is really great and since I love the lofty mountain scenes of historical k dramas-its pure torture to stop watching and go to work !

priscilla

Post by priscilla » Apr 26th, '06, 07:24

The Ballad Of Seo Dong: EPISODE 10. Synopsis & Highlight Translations

Priscilla’s Title: A TRAITOR OR AN IDEALIST?

Last edited by priscilla on May 3rd, '06, 04:09, edited 1 time in total.

priscilla

Post by priscilla » May 1st, '06, 04:27

The Ballad Of Seo Dong: EPISODE 11. Synopsis & Highlight Translations

Priscilla’s Title: THE SNAKE BITE

Last edited by priscilla on May 3rd, '06, 04:08, edited 1 time in total.

chitato_80

Post by chitato_80 » May 2nd, '06, 04:19

thx priscilla

priscilla

Post by priscilla » May 4th, '06, 13:37

The Ballad Of Seo Dong: EPISODE 12. Synopsis & Highlight Translations

NEW!!!!***** Priscilla’s Title: THE LOVERS BREAK UP

YouTube BROADCAST~Watch SDY with English Subtitles!
***Koreancat has been uploading this drama with English subtitles!

priscilla

Post by priscilla » May 8th, '06, 07:25

JO HYUN JAE meets his fans~During His Birthday Party!!!
Reported by Priscilla

[img]http://photo-media.hanmail.net/200605/0 ... .615.0.jpg[/img]
[img]http://photo-media.hanmail.net/200605/0 ... .615.1.jpg[/img]
(Photos by MoneyToday Star News, Reporter Lee Kyu Chang)

I was supposed to work on Seodong’s Song, ch. 13, but I decided to write a report on JHJ’s Birthday Party/Fan Meeting instead. After all, news reporters already wrote aplenty about this today! ~I usually complain the reporters don’t write much about him… or is it JHJ’s fault for ‘avoiding the spot-light’?

So after reading enough of News Articles (and there are sooooo many of them!), I started reading the fan’s reports… and that took even longer, cuz you know fans… they write more personal stuff and they’re more detailed than the objective journalists!

SO THE FOLLOWING is my Summary Report, after all that reading. I gathered everything (Fan’s reports and News Articles) from JHJ’s Fan Café “Carpediem”: cafe.daum.net/hyunjaelove

When: Sunday, May 7th, 2006, to celebrate Jo Hyun Jae’s 26th birthday. (His real birthday is May 9th, and in Korea, he’s a year older!) The starting time was set for 11:30 am.

It was organized by his largest Fan Café, “Carpediem.” (He doesn’t have an official fan club, so “Carpediem” can be considered his official fan club.) They met at a college theatre, and 500 fans attended. There were Chinese/Taiwanese and Japanese fans among them. A considerably large group of newscast was there as well.

The MC of the day was Magician Lu. Many fans wrote that this unknown magician did a great job leading this event. He was tall and handsome, and he looked very full of energy, doing so many things at the same time, running everywhere and throwing questions at everyone… he even did some ‘magic’ during intermission! Everyone had a great laugh because of him!

He belongs to STAR-J (JHJ’s agency) and they’re pretty close. Lu also mentioned that they hang-out together many times, and that JHJ even slept at his house… “I should put the underwear he wore on sale one of these days!” (Or something like that…) The fans also wrote that he did most of the talking since JHJ doesn’t say much… for the first 10 minutes, all JHJ did was laugh. But Jo’s laughter was very real everyone was relaxed.

The magician knew how quiet JHJ is, so he made JHJ play some games. The actor confessed he’s really bad at games, but he played along a ‘pointing fingers’ game, making everyone laugh. When he lost, he was told that he must write a letter to his fans before May 10th!

In another game, he had to answer the truth in 5 syllables. They asked him:
1. What’s your secret? = That is (he thought for a few seconds) a secret!
2. What’s your strength (personality wise)? = I’ve a good personality.
3. Your weakness? = I think too much.
4. How do you keep yourself fit? = I use a treadmill. (He got lots of cheers for this one because “Carpediem” sent him a treadmill as a present!)

The fan who wrote the above (천명한 이슬) said that they asked him more questions like this but that she couldn’t remember. Another fan wrote that everything worked so much better than expected and that she wouldn’t forget this day ever… but that she felt a bit burdened when hearing that he ‘thinks too much.’ She was like, she understands what that means… since she tends to think too much also… making life more difficult… He was also asked to tell them what he wished while blowing off the birthday candle, and to tell them how he would make up with his girlfriend, etc.

As the pictures already showed, other stars participated on this day. The first one to appear was the ‘infamous’ Ryujin! 8) Many articles reported this incident in detail. According to them, Ryujin was invited to come but he had declined, saying that he was too busy (he’s presently working in the drama “I Really, Really Like You”). His intention was to surprise JHJ at the party. So he came an hour earlier, but they both met at the parking lot. When JHJ saw him, he asked “Hyung, what are you doing here?” Ryujin just smiled, caught on the spot!

During the meeting, Ryujin said that rumors spread around that they don’t get along, but that it’s false. He admitted he had a tough time during the shooting of Seodong’s Song he hardly remembers much else! “But we were actually pretty close, and we would hang out together whenever we had a chance!” At this, the fans shot back at them: “Are you saying you aren’t close anymore?” LOL! :D On the other hand, JHJ said that although Ryujin played a bad guy in the drama, he is actually really nice and very good at taking care of others. And that the rumors spread only because Ryujin acts very well!

Ryujin brought a T-shirt and a cap for JHJ, saying that the younger actor always wore the same one it was stinking. :) Even Ryujin’s manager, who happens to be a JHJ’s fan, brought a construction toy of some sort… According to the article, Ryujin saw JHJ building something like a dinosaur while shooting the drama! Ryujin felt that it was nice to see JHJ doing other things even under so much pressure (when he had tones of things to memorize); so he too played along.

He also mentioned that they had celebrated the birthdays of so many other staff while shooting the drama, his included, and that Jo had participated in all of them. Ryu was just happy that Carpediem gave him a chance to celebrate the younger actor’s birthday also. But then, Ryu had to leave soon, since he had to continue shooting for his present drama, which he had delayed in order to attend this party.

Another guest star was actor/model Lee Chun-Hui, who played his rival at ONLY YOU. According to fan’s reports, he stayed at the party the longest, participating in the ‘pointing game,’ where Lee had to write his name with his butt when he lost. Lee too mentioned that JHJ doesn’t talk much, but that he’s a really nice guy. They looked like they were really comfortable with each other, whispering things to one other… and they even went to the men’s room together! :lol:

Speaking of men’s room… Several fans wrote that they met JHJ up-close and personal while they were going to the lady’s room… hearing people screaming that JHJ was at the men’s room… waiting for him to come out. Some even dared to go inside of the men’s room! (They said it was only after they made sure other ‘men’ left… whatever that means…) One of them wrote how she dared to approach him outside of the men’s room, and tell him that she likes him a lot… and he smiled. Then she asked him if she could shake his hand, and he did! Then… people started flooding from everywhere she felt sorry… most everyone ignored Lee Chun-Hui who was walking next to Jo…

Later, they read a fan's “Love Letter,” where they brought up the nostalgic memories of JHJ’s beginning… and that opportunity was taken to introduce another guest star: Soo-Ae, his co-star and love interest at his 2003 drama LOVE LETTER. JHJ was really surprised to see her, saying that it’s been almost 2 years since he last saw her.

He also mentioned that this drama was their first leading role, and that she made him very comfortable back then; and that although she might give the first impression of being ‘cold,’ Soo-Ae’s actually warm-hearted. According to Soo-Ae, JHJ makes her feel so comfortable he felt like a good friend at times, and at other times, like an older brother, or like a younger brother… or at other times, he felt like a lover to her! Ha!~ Many fans screamed at this: Oh NO!!! :shock:

But then, the MC asked the fans “Which female star was best matched with JHJ?” The fans screamed at once: "Soo-Ae!" To this, Lu fired back, jokingly?: "They both belong to STAR-J! One of the rules is, no dating within the management!" (On a side note, I remember reading a small report several months ago, where JHJ mentioned Soo-Ae, and Ji Jin-Hee from LOVE LETTER, and Ryu Sung Bum from SUNSHINE POURS DOWN, were one of the few stars he kept in touch with…)

I also read that his foreign fans sang happy birthday to him in Japanese and in Chinese, and that they were given the chance to hug him… but one fan didn’t want to let him go, so much that she was rebuked! On JHJ’s part, he too sang to his fans… First, he sang “I Love You” by Position. The fans encored him so he sang “Sarangtoo” by Yoon Do Hyun. A fan wrote that she worried at first when she realized he’d sing “I Love You,” one of her favorites, but a tough one to sing! But he did it so well she understood why he was a singer before!

Descriptions of him followed. Everyone agreed that he looks a lot better in person than in front of the camera, and that his face is really small. But some said that while on TV he comes out too angelic, there is a tough side that you can only witness face to face. But others disagreed… saying that he still looked ‘beautiful’ and not ‘tough.’ One thing I found very interesting is that, according to their description, JHJ’s side profile is very different than his front profile. They said they both give different feelings, the front one being softer and the side profile being sharper… In addition, most agreed he looked really happy all throughout the meeting, but that he looked very tired by the time he was greeting everyone. Actually, I read that he caught a severe cold before and that he was in bed for many days. During the meeting, he was coughing many times, and he looked very skinny.

Also, when asked what his next project would be, he said that he has not decided on that yet. And one fan also mentioned that according to Lu, JHJ quit smoking. But she was just hoping this would be confirmed. According to another fan, JHJ smelled a little like cigarette, but he was just coming out of the men’s room which is full of smoke. So we shall see…

At the end, he shook hands with all 500 of them, one by one. One fan wrote that he shook hands one person per second. So she thought of a way to make her encounter a bit longer. When she was in front of him, she screamed: “Get well soon!” So he paused for a second to look at her and to smile. She felt so clever for doing that. So she wrote at the fan café: “Others saw him face to face for only a second. I saw him for 2 seconds. This means I got to see him twice as long as everyone else!!!” Another one said that she was so nervous she looked down while shaking hands; she only got to see his side profile up-close! She regretted this so much she felt like hitting herself! Overall, I think the meeting ended later than expected, but no one was complaining! And the fans continued celebrating even after the Fan Meeting was over!

****EDIT:I forgot to mention that the club also did some fund raising, I believe... and that they were going to donate that to help cancer research. A few days ago, another Article talked about another fund-raising event (a star-clothes selling event) where Carpediem Fan Club caught the media's attention for their serious involvement in social activities. The media was also surprised to find out that the club membership was comprised of older members than expected... (Mostly in their thirties?)

THIS IS ALL FOR TODAY… You see, I haven’t watched this yet. This is what ‘others’ wrote so I may be wrong… Sorry for writing so long! Hopefully, some fans will post video links of this Fan Meeting.

IncaStar

Post by IncaStar » May 9th, '06, 10:42

HAPPY BIRTHDAY HYUN JAE!!
THANK YOU PRISCI FOR CONTINUING TO DO SDY'S TRANSLATIONS
FOREVER INDEBTED TO YOU!!

:wub:

ps: thank you for the detailed report on the bday boy as well!!

priscilla

Post by priscilla » May 10th, '06, 02:14

The Ballad Of Seo Dong: EPISODE 13. Synopsis & Highlight Translations
***By Priscilla

Priscilla’s Title: THE PRINCESS’ CHOICE

Last edited by priscilla on May 11th, '06, 08:14, edited 2 times in total.

priscilla

Post by priscilla » May 11th, '06, 08:03

The Ballad Of Seo Dong: EPISODE 14. Synopsis & Highlight Translations

Priscilla’s Title: THE TEST OF LOVE

Last edited by priscilla on May 12th, '06, 21:45, edited 1 time in total.

chitato_80

Post by chitato_80 » May 12th, '06, 01:53

thanks a lot prisci for SDY translation and the news translation ! really appreciate all your work :salut:

priscilla

Post by priscilla » May 13th, '06, 20:19

JO HYUN JAE wrote to his fans!!!
Translated by Priscilla

Title: Nice to meet you! (May 9th, 2006)

It was great to meet everyone who attended the birthday party.
My only regret is that I wasn’t feeling well. Had I been healthy, it would have been even better.
I was very happy to see so many people coming to congratulate me. Thanks to you all, I was able to celebrate my birthday in a joyful and fulfilling way.

People also came from far away countries. I hope that, not only them, but everyone who came on that day had a great time like I did.

I always receive so much from you.
I really don’t know how I could repay you for all the love you shown me.
I believe that the person I am right now would not exist without you all.

I will never forget the love and encouragement I received from all of you:
the people who attended the birthday party and all the fans who watched me through the years.
I will try my best to come back to you through a better piece of work, showing you a better part of myself.

Take care of your health and be happy always…*^^

priscilla

Post by priscilla » May 15th, '06, 15:00

The Ballad Of Seo Dong: EPISODE 15. Synopsis & Highlight Translations

Priscilla’s Title: I WILL SURVIVE!

priscilla

Post by priscilla » May 20th, '06, 07:48

The Ballad Of Seo Dong: EPISODE 16. Synopsis & Highlight Translations

Priscilla’s Title: THE TRUE SOURCE OF POWER

akiana

Post by akiana » May 29th, '06, 14:14

since i'm on vacation break i'll use the time to softsub the series... anyone want to tackle this project together? :unsure:
so is it possible if i use your translations priscilla?

priscilla

Post by priscilla » May 31st, '06, 03:53

Wow! It's been hard for me to connect lately... but what do I find??? Someone's willing to sub this... hmmm... that's GREAT NEWS indeed! I just hope you'll be able to finish this... such a looooong drama!

And yes AKIANA, why not? ~You can use my translations...