International Dramas - what's good in your country?

Discuss about anything here that doesn't fit in the other categories. Just don't spam.
pockiiee
Fansubber
Fansubber

International Dramas - what's good in your country?

Post by pockiiee » Mar 8th, '06, 03:06

Since we have such an international scope here at d-addicts, I was curious about shows or dramas from other countries that you think are just as good as Asian dramas.

I think many of us a d-addicts who rely on subtitles are pretty open-minded and interested in other cultures - and I know that wherever I've lived I found something unique - living in Japan got me addicted to Jdramas, after all. And I downloaded some Chinese and Korean dramas here just for the heck of it, and liked them. So, share your experience. I'll start by listing a few from the countries I've lived in:

1. Canada - Degrassi High
OK, It may be a bit old now, but I remember the issues being really topical to teenagers, and there were some great little romances - I think this show has been syndicated around the world

2. The Netherlands
a) Sahib and Julia - modern day retelling of the Romeo and Juliette story with a young Moroccan and a Dutch girl, a miniseries produced by the infamous Theo van Gogh who was actually assassinated due to his stance on Muslims, this show is both touching and a harsh social commentary on modern multi-ethnic life in the Netherlands, but a bit controversial!
b) Lotte - This just started, I mentioned it in another thread- based on the sensationally-popular Betty soap from Columbia, its an ugly duckling who makes it in the fashion world - will she nab her handsome boss?

3. England
They have a lot of great miniseries in the UK in my opinion, BBC Pride and Prejudice is amazing. Currently watching Life on Mars - it's a bit odd - A cop is somehow transported back to the 70's and his methods clash with 70's police - or is he in a coma? And some strange twists. This series is cool

OK, That about covers my experience. So, all you Americans, is there anything better than Lost? (we only get big successes or big flops here) Anything good to watch on German TV? Enlighten us

neonkinpatsu
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by neonkinpatsu » Mar 8th, '06, 03:32

I'm one who hasn't been very much into my own country's TV for a while. I feel American TV is way too full of ridiculous reality shows. I like less than a handful of reality shows, but only the ones where they tape real events (Airline, Flip This House, etc.). So, I find myself barely watching certain shows regularly/weekly. I still do watch TV, but I find myself flipping constantly until I find something to watch, rather than saying "OMG, it's Wednesday! _____ is on tonight!". I avoid WB and UPN channels completely. I think even most of the sitcoms suck. I haven't tried any lately, but I gave up paying attention a while back when I wasn't impressed. WIll and Grace is ending (or did it end now?), Friends is done, etc. Many of the new ones don't draw me in.

I haven't watched Lost, but my friends are hopelessly addicted :lol I'm told Weeds is a good one. 24 is supposed to be good, but I never checked it out. I caught a few eps of House, which were pretty awesome.

I was one to watch The Sopranos religiously every Sunday night on HBO. But, I thought last season kinda blew. The past couple seasons had incredibly long delays with bringing a new season. The new and final season starts this Sunday. I thought I would boycott it, but the previews have me kinda excited to see what happens :mrgreen: Although it's hard to remember what happened last time because it was like, 2 years ago. I haven't been watching the season 5 reruns.

Right now I find myself watching only ONE drama on a weekly "OMG-I-HAVE-TO-SEE-THIS" basis. The L-Word on Showtime. I caught a marathon on a couple months ago and totally got into season 1, then I watched season 2 on demand. Now season 3 is airing. Right now the mood is dreary but it tends to be drama mixed with some random comedy. Only 2 eps left for this season ;___; I'm gonna suffer for 6+ months waiting for new material, only to have to wait a week in between eps after that. I was turned onto this one by my friend who got me addicted to Queer As Folk (the American version), which was incredible! Neither show are for the faint of heart nor closed-minded :sweat:

I'm running mostly blanks right now. I might have to see some more posts to get into past shows....

Schala

Post by Schala » Mar 8th, '06, 04:18

I really haven't seen any dramas from countries other than the U.S. and Japan....

There are a few I enjoy from the U.S. though (but some aren't on anymore). They are

The 4400
Threshold (I haven't watched it in awhile though, so I need to catch up on it.)
Jack & Bobby (That was a really good show, but unfortunately it was cancelled after the first season. I guess everyone else was watching reality tv instead. :glare: )
Law & Order SVU (I actually just started watching reruns on USA, and I've been getting into it.)
Supernatural (I've been watching it from the beginning. For awhile, I dunno why I watched it every week. It was really predictable and repetitive. But now the plot is starting to go somewhere. But I fell asleep and missed it tonight though. -_-)

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Mar 8th, '06, 06:25

You know, I could have sworn we had a thread like this awhile back... :scratch:
Ehh...whatever...
I don't watch TV.... mostly b/c I have no TV.... :fear:

milleu87

Post by milleu87 » Mar 8th, '06, 06:29

urm i'm in the states now. i like house. it is super awesome but other than that i don't really watched anything on tv anymore

back in malaysia, i hate those crappy tv series, bad acting .same plot.unrealistic of scene ppl getting shot and fight. seriously i'm telling spanish soap operas are so much better.

Kae

Post by Kae » Mar 9th, '06, 04:19

Two major networks in my country, Philippines, are showing dramas and you have to fight with a family member if a show you like is on the same time slot as the show that the other wants to see or mainly because of channel loyalty. The two airs Korean, local Filipino soap and Mexican. There are other channels that air canned shows.

Although most Filipino soaps are the same (love triangles, poor guy-rich girl and vice versa, rags to riches, exploding cars, kidnappings, family dynasties) we still watch them :) At first they look corny, then overtime you become interested in what happens to them. Haven't been watching much these days though especially since I started taking night classes after work.

Local - referring to one station because am not familiar with the other one
Gulong ng Palad - a remake of a 1970s(?) soap
Sa Piling Mo
Pinoy Big Brother Celebrity edition.

Canned
Without A Trace
Smallville
Supernatural
Gilmore Girls
Joey
Lost
Reality shows
Living with Fran
Will and Grace
American Idol
Invasion
etc.

Korean
My Name is Kim Sam Soon
Jewel in the Palace
Princess Lulu
Spring Day

Taiwanese
LeRobe something...

skachild

Post by skachild » Mar 9th, '06, 04:29

milleu87 wrote:urm i'm in the states now. i like house. it is super awesome but other than that i don't really watched anything on tv anymore

back in malaysia, i hate those crappy tv series, bad acting .same plot.unrealistic of scene ppl getting shot and fight. seriously i'm telling spanish soap operas are so much better.
i think u are rite... after reading this topic.. ia ask myself if there is any drama from my country that i really like to watch... :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:
i don think so.. maybe some chinese drama(don remember the name already) that i really like in few years ago but not reccently. :-( :-(

bellaheart

Post by bellaheart » Mar 9th, '06, 04:42

i'm hopelessly in LOVE with veronica mars.

kimmi18

Post by kimmi18 » Mar 9th, '06, 04:47

In canada its pretty much like the states....i love to watch the O.C....i'm surprised no one has mentioned that one cuz its really big in north america. Then theres grey's anatomy which i hear is also really good (kinda like House). I use to really love watching Veronica Mars but they stopped showing it in canada which mad me so mad! :cussing: Thats pretty much the best of it.....

pe3kabo0

Post by pe3kabo0 » Mar 9th, '06, 10:24

i like Neighbours but it has different versions for different countries so yea.. er. the australien one.

the OC is so big right now and Desperate Housewives too!

x_XJules
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by x_XJules » Mar 9th, '06, 10:48

hahahahahahahahahaha :lol :lol

tv sucks in the states. (in my opinion, no offense) if i do watch tv i usually watch cartoons.
neonkinpatsu wrote:Right now I find myself watching only ONE drama on a weekly "OMG-I-HAVE-TO-SEE-THIS" basis. The L-Word on Showtime.
my friend owns season one and two. I haven't watched much of it yet.. but my goodness.. it's sooo good. i didn't know anyone else had heard of it. LoL, we're having a marathon of it this weekend. :D :D

laure_choc

Post by laure_choc » Mar 9th, '06, 11:10

mizune wrote: I don't watch TV.... mostly b/c I have no TV.... :fear:
Same here. When my flatmate came to live with me, she was a bit frighten at first not to have one. But now she's quite happy because she has more time :)
I did follow the s1 of lost though while visiting my parents, and the french mini serie Clara Sheller.

nadesico
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by nadesico » Mar 9th, '06, 11:12

Hi there!I live in France and since my 6-months old addiction to dramas, I've ceased to watch tv.
Any way, there were good things to watch on french tv, we are really good on historical dramas, I think it can be compared to BBC's dramas(by the way pride and prejudice is my favorite ever, just like u pockiiee!). French tv is full of foreign series:
Lost,4400, tru calling, friends.... My faves are desperate housewives, the shield, just shoot me, and degrassi high!!i think if u ask the average french people, they will say their favorite dramas are from the states.

neonkinpatsu
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by neonkinpatsu » Mar 14th, '06, 03:04

x_XJules wrote:hahahahahahahahahaha :lol :lol

tv sucks in the states. (in my opinion, no offense) if i do watch tv i usually watch cartoons.
neonkinpatsu wrote:Right now I find myself watching only ONE drama on a weekly "OMG-I-HAVE-TO-SEE-THIS" basis. The L-Word on Showtime.
my friend owns season one and two. I haven't watched much of it yet.. but my goodness.. it's sooo good. i didn't know anyone else had heard of it. LoL, we're having a marathon of it this weekend. :D :D
Until you complete season 1 and 2, beware of Showtime. They show previews all the time. Also, avoid most of the fansites because they post spoilers (which I was reading :roll ). You'll get some new characters in season 2 and more in season 3. Season 3 is pretty out there. It's pretty morbid and dreary (you'll see why) but it's very eventful. Some of it seemed to go a bit slow, but all of the sudden all of this crap starts going down. It's pretty sad though ;__; Only 2 eps left for this season. Last night's episode was completely insane and frustrating (although the event in reference was rumored to happen). On a random note, the opening theme BLOWS. I hate it so much, it's irritating.

I'm told the season 3 DVD will be out in October 2006. My friend (a hopeless L-Word addict) says that they shoot in the summer and start airing each new season around January of each year. So, season 4 would probably air in January 2007 :cry: My friend was shocked that I saw it and got into it b/c she thinks that only lesbians watch it :lol

Erliana2

Post by Erliana2 » Mar 14th, '06, 03:20

Has anyone ever watched DEAD LIKE ME? it was really good
Last edited by Erliana2 on Mar 14th, '06, 03:22, edited 1 time in total.

Erliana2

Post by Erliana2 » Mar 14th, '06, 03:21

I gotta admit a lot of reality shows blow. But there is one good one (In my opinion) it's Project runway. I was soo addicted couldn't miss an episode. Everyone needs to download it or something

currently hosting hardsubbed 1 litre of tears episodes 1-11
http://www.dramarific.com/1_litre_of_tears_main.html

8thSin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by 8thSin » Mar 14th, '06, 04:06

We have this supernatural drama called "The Collector" in Canada. It's about this guy who made a deal with a devil, but tricked into becoming a soul-collector. Devil lets him save other people's souls as a game. He always has 48 hours to amend for whatever harm his 'client' caused on others. The computer graphics sucks like hell, but it's an interesting show.

Kembang

Post by Kembang » Mar 14th, '06, 17:25

I'm Dutch(born,raised,still living here)..but I haven't seen Sahib and Julia or Lotte yet..I do wanna watch Lotte,but I always forget about >_<..
I have watched the first ep of Evelien,it was nice,but not that special yet..so gotta wait and see with that one.
Ohwell I don't really know if you can count it as a drama series,but my fave Dutch tv series would be ZOOP,imo it's really funny and the story's nice aswell,it's about a bunch of rangers that have education at a zoo(ohwell dunno how to explain the series better actually,since it's already airing for so long).They've also made a ZOOP movie,but I haven't seen that one yet.

silzii

Post by silzii » Mar 14th, '06, 17:42

Im a BBC (british born chinese!) but yeh the tv in the UK is.........so so (I'm refering to the soaps/series).
I usually watch stuff on cable like supernatural! Im currently hooked on that. Oh and also Prison Break!
Im a sucker for cute guys :mrgreen:

blackstarjr

Post by blackstarjr » Mar 16th, '06, 17:45

Well being in Canada mostly get over run by the US drama's like 24,Prison Break,Lost etc etc which i love, but some which are canadian only that i love are

-The collector
-Tracker (ended)
-First Wave (ended)
-Charlie Jade (ended)

catherinele21

Post by catherinele21 » Mar 17th, '06, 15:00

yikes.. i cant think of any good dramas from Australia man.. :blink

kokko8

Post by kokko8 » Mar 17th, '06, 20:33

Nothing!
In France everything on TV sucks :(
Fortunately DA is here for us!

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by aNToK » Mar 17th, '06, 20:42

Hmm.. American dramas worth watching... Honestly, I haven't seen much to grab my attention lately, so about the only shows I watch are One Tree HIll (one of the few "teen dramas" that take ordinary situations and blow them up drama-style and still have you care), Boston Legal, though it's more hilarious than serious most of the time, and Grey's Anatomy (but how come they've got the ugliest Korean girl out there playing Chinese... again?) (okay, she fits the role perfectly, and she's not ugly, just.... not my type. But why not just make her Korean on the show?)

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Mar 17th, '06, 20:45

We were eating dinner in a Chilean restaurant that had a monstrous huge TV going in the dining room. Just as our food was being served a news segment on a shootout between the police and some drug traffickers in Santiago came on... The police captain proudly held up this bloody rag and announced that they shot the guy so many times that his pants came off!

Now that's television!

kokko8

Post by kokko8 » Mar 17th, '06, 20:54

I like Nip/Tuck, very modern american show...
Battlestar Galactica too!
both of them worth the watch!

:salut:

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by aNToK » Mar 17th, '06, 21:03

pokute wrote:We were eating dinner in a Chilean restaurant that had a monstrous huge TV going in the dining room. Just as our food was being served a news segment on a shootout between the police and some drug traffickers in Santiago came on... The police captain proudly held up this bloody rag and announced that they shot the guy so many times that his pants came off!

Now that's television!
Note to self: No drug trafficking in Santiago. Damn!!!!!!

ariela_enchilada

american dramas

Post by ariela_enchilada » Mar 17th, '06, 21:07

american dramas pretty much suck...i can only name a few i have liked and most of those were cancelled due to lack of viewers (everyone was watching really crappy reality shows like big brother and the bachelor)
i really liked american dreams and jack and bobby
i watch greys anatomy, desperate housewives, lost and the office but theyre beginning to lose their "mojo"

currently im hooked on asian dramas such as it started with a kiss, devil beside you, love contract, and of course goong

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Mar 17th, '06, 21:17

aNToK wrote:
pokute wrote:We were eating dinner in a Chilean restaurant that had a monstrous huge TV going in the dining room. Just as our food was being served a news segment on a shootout between the police and some drug traffickers in Santiago came on... The police captain proudly held up this bloody rag and announced that they shot the guy so many times that his pants came off!

Now that's television!
Note to self: No drug trafficking in Santiago. Damn!!!!!!
You could use this: http://www.bulletproofme.com/Body_Armor ... Protectors

sour_pickles

Post by sour_pickles » Mar 20th, '06, 05:59

another good canadian t.v. show - corner gas

eiD

Post by eiD » Mar 23rd, '06, 18:17

...i think there are not realy interesting with my country drama
...i think the other malaysian are thinking the same too...(maybe)
...all the drama are same plot...same style...n i'm glad becoz dont hav the same title
...why...??? :unsure: ...urmm :scratch:

mya

Post by mya » Mar 24th, '06, 02:34

HUMM.... MY FAVORITE TV SHOW RIGHT NOW IS.... VERONICA MARS....

Kae

Post by Kae » Mar 26th, '06, 00:51

Erliana2 wrote:Has anyone ever watched DEAD LIKE ME? it was really good
I've seen the website because of the theme song, but have not seen the series. I heard it's good like you said, but Showtime is not offered by our cable provider. Is this out on torrent?

Erliana2

Post by Erliana2 » Mar 26th, '06, 08:36

Kae wrote:
Erliana2 wrote:Has anyone ever watched DEAD LIKE ME? it was really good
I've seen the website because of the theme song, but have not seen the series. I heard it's good like you said, but Showtime is not offered by our cable provider. Is this out on torrent?
I have no idea, I just know it was cancelled

seeker

Post by seeker » Apr 16th, '06, 12:17

We've got some pretty good weekly dramas here in Greece. Most of them are about condemned and unmatched love affairs with tragic storylines and happy Endings, most of the time..
My Favorite right now is "The Witches of Smyrne", an historical drama. I wish I could rip it and share it with you guys, it's very good. I wouldn't have any problem subbing it in English but unfortunately, I don't know how to rip it from the TV and we don't release our series in DVD :-(
We also have some nice comedies but the problem it that, the good ones, almost always are "too Greek" for others to understand the humour.
Niki