why is Jdrama so short???

Talk about the culture and entertainment from Nihon.
amulet

why is Jdrama so short???

Post by amulet » Feb 20th, '06, 23:08

Hi everyone ,
I'm newbie with Jdrama only finished Hana yori dango(:wub: so nice drama , one of my favorits ) , Gokusen, Kimi wa petto ( because of nice Jun:wub: ) but those series were so short obviouslly 10/12 eps , I just wonder why ? . But Chinese or Korean they have 20-50 eps :blink
Anyone here knows , please tell me . Thank u so much .
have a day day :D :wub:

groink

Post by groink » Feb 20th, '06, 23:11

Actually, the question is "Why are other Asian dramas so long?" IMHO, I think you can tell any story - including details - within 12 episodes. Any more and it starts to drag or there's just simply too much information.

--- groink

Prince of Moles

Post by Prince of Moles » Feb 20th, '06, 23:20

Japan has 4 TV seasons per year, Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter. So each season is 10-12 episodes long.

The US has 2 seasons, 1 season from September to May with typically 20-26 episodes. And a very short summer season with 6-10 episodes.

Personally I prefer the Japanese format since there is constantly a new show. But the bad side is that very few shows go on for multiple seasons. Wataru seken series, Trick, etc.

PS
I have no idea how the TV schedule works in Korea or China, Taiwan, HK. If anyone knows, I would love to know. :D
Last edited by Prince of Moles on Feb 21st, '06, 00:10, edited 1 time in total.

Gozen

Post by Gozen » Feb 20th, '06, 23:30

Don't forget taiga dramas do last for 49 episodes, but there is only per year. I adore taiga dramas because I find history, especially Japanese history, fascinating. But normal dramas suit me just fine too, being around 11 episodes, it's long enough to get into the story, if they were too long they'd pad out the episodes with irrelevant stuff and drag it out.
From a purely selfish point of view, downloading 11 episodes to get the whole series is just long enough. Trying to keep up with a really long series, especially an older one with not enough seeds, is such hard work. And the prospect of having some new ones every few months is such a pleasure! So many gorgeous men, only one of me.....

techie
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by techie » Feb 21st, '06, 01:40

I think the combination of Taiga dorama and the shorter more relaxed ones are a perfect solution.

Besides, I dont really know about Korea or China, I would guess chinese dram adoes introduce a lot of tradition and history in amore mythical sense but no other country I have seen TV shows from present their on history with such a flare for education included in the shows as Japan.

I am getting more and more interested in the collection of the Taiga dorama by themselves and plan on making a list of them (in cd form :) ) from the first to the last, starting with Toshiie and Matsu (1552-16xx) and up.

The short ones I find to be more suited in short form because they dont really do more than talk about daily life and give little sensemorals. I doubt Falcon Crest or Dallas could ever have done that in what, 10-15 super seasons. :faint:

groink

Post by groink » Feb 21st, '06, 02:50

I think the best format for dramas is actually the NHK morning dramas. Every day, just before I go to work, I turn the TV on and watch 15 minutes, and then I go on with the rest of my day. Because they're limited to 15 minutes per day, the focus doesn't wander off like some 45-minute dramas I've seen.

--- groink

techie
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by techie » Feb 21st, '06, 06:47

I miss the little 30 minute "Women of the Onsen"
... gah and I used to have all the seasons of that thing until I moved... :doh:

Anyone up for a little superseeding to techie :lol :glare:

amulet

Post by amulet » Feb 22nd, '06, 00:17

:lol thank you all for reply my question :lol i'm totally agree that long drama's sometimes only drag and dob but within 9-12 eps is quite short. i was sad when Hana Yori Dango came to an end at 9 eps :cry: how I hope that series continued :wub:

spacecommand

Post by spacecommand » Feb 22nd, '06, 00:34

It depends on the show, some dramas I think are just too much for 12 episodes because I think they just drag it on, other shows I think are too short for 12 episodes.

If you are really lucky you'll have a special episode, and if you're really really lucky a 2nd season.

Or in the case of my favorite drama to date (Odoru Daisousasen) you'll get specials plus four movies.

TNF
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by TNF » Feb 22nd, '06, 00:53

Prince of Moles wrote:Japan has 4 TV seasons per year, Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter. So each season is 10-12 episodes long.

The US has 2 seasons, 1 season from September to May with typically 20-26 episodes. And a very short summer season with 6-10 episodes.

Personally I prefer the Japanese format since there is constantly a new show. But the bad side is that very few shows go on for multiple seasons. Wataru seken series, Trick, etc.

PS
I have no idea how the TV schedule works in Korea or China, Taiwan, HK. If anyone knows, I would love to know. :D
The U.S. shows do separate into seasons, but it seems like "seasons" on american TV is useless since shows go on for decades anyway *snore*
With Japanese, HK, Chinese, korean 'tv seasons' new shows actually come out. In the u.s. a new season basically means yet another year of (fill in with show).
I mean, how many more seasons do we need of gilmore girls, law & order, etc etc?oh yeah and seventh heaven...its been around longer than I've been alive seriously.

but oh how I wish MUKODONO would go on FOREVER. There's a second season but still....I can never get enough

groink

Post by groink » Feb 22nd, '06, 01:18

You guys have to realize something... Japanese TV also have these American-like dramas that last for YEARS. You just don't see them uploaded to D-Addicts. These include:

- Hagure Keiji Junjoha - finally ended after 18 YEARS!
- Abarenbo Shogun - Aired from 1978 to 2003, with over 800 eps total.
- Mito Komon - Even longer than Abarenbo Shogun.
- Abunai Deka - A 1980's American-style cop series. Lasted several seasons, with movies still being produced today.
- Omiya-san - completed its third season, but I expect this show to be TV Asahi's replacement for HKJ.
- Wataru Seken wa oni Bakari - Starting its 8th season this Spring. Each season is about 50 or so episodes, and has been on the air since 1990. Probably the closest thing that Japan has to an American soap opera.

... and the list goes ON and ON! So even though some people criticize the way American TV stretches its shows season-after-season, it is no different than the dramas in Asian countries. Again, you just don't see them uploaded because the focus of D-Addicts is basically the trendy renzoku dramas, along with a jidaigeki renzoku drama thrown into the mix. In reality, what you see on D-Addicts represents less than 20-percent of what's actually airing in Japan.

--- groink

impression151

Post by impression151 » Feb 22nd, '06, 01:38

...which is fine. Imagine a fansubbing group trying to do all 800+ eps.

chunu

Post by chunu » Feb 22nd, '06, 01:53

me......I don't mind short or long just as long as it's good, it's worth the watch :lol

Philmein

Post by Philmein » Feb 22nd, '06, 01:58

I think it's perfect for japanese dramas to have 10-12 episodes; they get right to the point as oppose to dragging like korean dramas.

SyaoranX

Post by SyaoranX » Feb 23rd, '06, 03:35

Philmein wrote:I think it's perfect for japanese dramas to have 10-12 episodes; they get right to the point as oppose to dragging like korean dramas.
my thoughts. i think 10-12 is perfect. this one of the reasons why i dont like msot jdramas. They drag out way too much.

techie
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by techie » Feb 23rd, '06, 03:38

now lets talk super seeding.
I seriously want those 800 abarenbo shogun :D Really...

goygakgoy

Post by goygakgoy » Feb 23rd, '06, 03:47

I like how it's short. Why spend so much of your life watching the same drama with ongoing plots? Long dramas just add to that negative image of couch potatoe swho watches dramas all day.

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Feb 23rd, '06, 04:07

Ok, I may be completely wrong, but I vaguely remember reading someplace (many, many, many years ago) that the Japanese television studios used BBC serials (e.g. Upstairs Downstairs), as the model for the trendy drama format. Beyond the length of the series, it also affected the type of stories chosen and how they were filmed...
But like I said, I could be completely off my rocker.... ^_^;;;

raider73

Post by raider73 » Feb 23rd, '06, 04:15

Philmein wrote:I think it's perfect for japanese dramas to have 10-12 episodes; they get right to the point as oppose to dragging like korean dramas.
Yup, totally agree, have stopped watching any Korean dramas unless it's highly praised by the majority like "My Girl". Only watch JDramas now since they don't drag on and on like the Korean ones. I do, however, love the Korean movies though.

Lowest

Post by Lowest » Feb 23rd, '06, 11:27

I was going to say, programs over here in England tend to just be 10 or so episodes even though some series (like Spooks) have more than 1 series. I was thinking over here it might be because the programs are expensive and England is small :P

Ruka707

Post by Ruka707 » Jul 7th, '08, 13:18

I think they aren't short - but not long either. Just... perfect ^^
Far more better than the stupid soap operas with thousands of episodes >_<

Karate-ka

Post by Karate-ka » Jul 7th, '08, 13:41

Short is fine with me so i can go watch a other new/old show....

bluexberryz

Post by bluexberryz » Aug 9th, '08, 00:51

are episodes 10-12 still raw cuz i cant find them anywhere :unsure:

ChiisaiKouma

Post by ChiisaiKouma » Aug 21st, '08, 15:33

groink wrote:You guys have to realize something... Japanese TV also have these American-like dramas that last for YEARS. You just don't see them uploaded to D-Addicts. These include:

- Hagure Keiji Junjoha - finally ended after 18 YEARS!
- Abarenbo Shogun - Aired from 1978 to 2003, with over 800 eps total.
- Mito Komon - Even longer than Abarenbo Shogun.
- Abunai Deka - A 1980's American-style cop series. Lasted several seasons, with movies still being produced today.
- Omiya-san - completed its third season, but I expect this show to be TV Asahi's replacement for HKJ.
- Wataru Seken wa oni Bakari - Starting its 8th season this Spring. Each season is about 50 or so episodes, and has been on the air since 1990. Probably the closest thing that Japan has to an American soap opera.

--- groink

Thanks for the info, I never knew that!

getawayfrom

Post by getawayfrom » Aug 21st, '08, 17:03

I'm glad they are short, there's no way I can watch them being long. I'm not much of a Jdrama fan so watching long ones make me irritated or loose interest so I tried to ignored them altogether. So far I've only watched 5 Jdramas and they are not bad but I'm more into Kdramas. I'm a Kdrama addict!

fatmouse

Post by fatmouse » Feb 10th, '09, 06:17

I think Japanese drama is too short but Korean drama is too long - the story is too dragged out.