[Tutorial] How to Convert AVI to Standard DVD for TV

Discuss technical and geeky things here.
radicchix

Post by radicchix » Dec 26th, '05, 17:19

I found out an easier way to convert AVI to DVD. I used Win AVI converter, you only have to open the avi files on bacth files, set the quality up and encode. It is really fast with awesome quality! And you don´t have to use so many programs. Then you can use Authorguy or dvd prolab pro! If anyone are interested I can help :)

boji

Post by boji » Dec 27th, '05, 00:41

kyuuketsuki wrote:
Hmmm. Could be a lot of things wrong. My initial guess is that a path is not set up properly, or you did not load avisynth when you installed dvd2svcd. Could you post your dvd2svcd log file? That may have more information.
hmm im wondering could i have caused a problem by deleting the avisynth script files that were created during the conversion while it was still converting?
oh and is there anyones nice enough to give me a 30 second avi?

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » Dec 27th, '05, 04:23

boji wrote: hmm im wondering could i have caused a problem by deleting the avisynth script files that were created during the conversion while it was still converting?
oh and is there anyones nice enough to give me a 30 second avi?
You should probably leave all the files in the directory until conversion is done.

I have a 10 second test AVI that is 1 MB that I can email you. PM me your email address and I'll send it.

boji

Post by boji » Dec 29th, '05, 02:46

hmm im a little confused at this last part. all i have to do is put that file i circled into my burning program?

http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/5843/asdf1tw.jpg

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » Dec 30th, '05, 02:26

boji wrote:hmm im a little confused at this last part. all i have to do is put that file i circled into my burning program?

http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/5843/asdf1tw.jpg
That's correct. Some programs might be picky about burning ISO files, but it should work.

Alternatively, you can select "Create DVD Video" from whatever program you use, then point to the TS_VIDEO and TS_AUDIO directories that were created from DvdAuthorGui.

Personally, I import the TS_VIDEO and TS_AUDIO directories into TmpgEncAuthorDvd and burn and it works every time.

boji

Post by boji » Dec 30th, '05, 02:47

hi again hmm i burned the iso and when it finished burning a window poped up saying burned completed but with errors. the dvd gets rejected from the dvd player...do you think this problem is caused by the burning program and should i get a new program?

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » Dec 30th, '05, 03:56

boji wrote:hi again hmm i burned the iso and when it finished burning a window poped up saying burned completed but with errors. the dvd gets rejected from the dvd player...do you think this problem is caused by the burning program and should i get a new program?
Hmmm, I see now that it may be confusing. I will update the tutorial. You don't actually burn the iso file to the disc. The file is an "image file". So whatever program you use, you need to select "burn image". If you select "create data disc" and burn the iso as a file, then it won't work. If you have "Nero", just right click on the file and choose "open with Nero".

I looked at your files and it appears you have done everything correctly. If the burn still fails, then try and choose "create DVD Video Disc" from whatever buring software you are using. It should then ask for a VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS directory. I'm guessing that these directories are underneath the lovegeneration3 directory that you created. Just point to the lovegeneration3 directory and it should work.

Another thing you can try just to make sure that the conversion was done properly is to use a DVD Video player on your PC. I have PowerDvd and I can just point to the IFO file inside the TS_VIDEO directory.

boji

Post by boji » Dec 31st, '05, 00:13

thanks worked perfectly i appreciate all the help you've given me lol you're tutorials awesome. just ask one last question lol the video size only takes up half the screen on my tv vertically?

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » Dec 31st, '05, 08:45

boji wrote:thanks worked perfectly i appreciate all the help you've given me lol you're tutorials awesome. just ask one last question lol the video size only takes up half the screen on my tv vertically?
No problem. I'm glad you could get it working. I'm not sure what you mean by "half the screen vertically". The video should cover your whole screen and there will be no subtitles or video cut off.

Does the MPG file play like you'd expect when you play it in Windows Media Player? Have you tried playing the DVD in your computer to see if it works?

Are you still working with that test file that I sent you? You can email me the ISO if you want me to take a look at it. It looks like it's only 5 MB.

boji

Post by boji » Dec 31st, '05, 17:11

hmm i see where i made the mistake in fitcd soo no need to cause you anymore trouble haha it wasnt by 720x480 no wonder it didnt fit the screen my other avi fitted fine on the screen

boji

Post by boji » Jan 8th, '06, 23:59

--------------------------------------------------------
Initializing
- D:\Torrents\My.Name.Is.Sam.Soon.Kim.E01.SDTVRip.XviD-LUXURY.avi
Initializing finished.

- 1/8/2006 4:57:58 PM
- Free on drive D: 58337.70 mb
- AUDIO Extraction
Checking D:\downloads2\Extracted_audio_1.ac3
I/O error 998 Invalid access to memory location

hi i'm back again :D i've encountered a new problem that only happens to this torrent?
and the audio it makes is different heres a pic http://www.thefreeimagehosting.com/Uplo ... d2svcd.jpg

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » Jan 10th, '06, 00:46

boji wrote:--------------------------------------------------------
Initializing
- D:\Torrents\My.Name.Is.Sam.Soon.Kim.E01.SDTVRip.XviD-LUXURY.avi
Initializing finished.

- 1/8/2006 4:57:58 PM
- Free on drive D: 58337.70 mb
- AUDIO Extraction
Checking D:\downloads2\Extracted_audio_1.ac3
I/O error 998 Invalid access to memory location

hi i'm back again :D i've encountered a new problem that only happens to this torrent?
and the audio it makes is different heres a pic http://www.thefreeimagehosting.com/Uplo ... d2svcd.jpg
It looks like there is a problem with the audio encoding. Try this from the FAQ at the end of the tutorial.
I don't hear any audio, it is out of sync with my video, or BeSweet crashes when I encode. How do I fix this?
A: Most audio problems can be fixed with VirtualDub using video direct stream and audio full processing. If you don't hear any audio at all or BeSweet crashes, you may not have the audio codec (see question below). Another option is to encode the MP2 separately using BeSweet from the command line described in the "Advanced / Optional" section above. Installing OggDirectShowFilter and the VOInput.dll plugin can fix a lot of BeSweet encoding problems.
When I first started encoding, I had a lot of audio problems. Doing the audio conversion in Virtual Dub fixed most of them, but there occasionally were some that still did not work. Later on I installed the OggDirectShowFilter and VoInput.dll into BeSweet and I can't remember having any audio conversion problems after that.

hana-yukino

i have a problem

Post by hana-yukino » Jan 13th, '06, 19:40

i have 7 avi converted to mpv and mp2 files. i don't even know where the mpg file is i looked for it but it doesn't seem to exist. i used QuEnc. But now that i have them all converted my dvdautherGui splits out ERROR: File C:\Documents and Settings\raksmaii\My Documents\Movies\Pal 1\Pal 1.m2v is not a 11172-2 or 13818-2 Video stream. 3 [main] tcmplex 2560 handle_exceptions: Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION

I really don't know what to do. It's making really worried.

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » Jan 14th, '06, 04:18

i have 7 avi converted to mpv and mp2 files. i don't even know where the mpg file is i looked for it but it doesn't seem to exist.
After each conversion, there should be an mpg file in your output directory.
But now that i have them all converted my dvdautherGui splits out ERROR
You don't need to convert all the AVIs to check if everything is set up properly. You don't even need to do 1 AVI. It is a good idea to make a 20 second clip and make sure that you have everything set up properly.

Can you post your dvd2svcd log file? It should say what went wrong.

bangkok_devious

Post by bangkok_devious » Jan 16th, '06, 00:01

Hey, kyuuketsuki
Wanted to say thank you for making this guide-------I followed all the instructions even though I thought it would be crazily complicated (it was actually kind of easy). Overall, your method works incredibly well. Now I have a nice resized mpeg video :-)
I haven't burned to DVD yet, but I'm sure that it'll turn out fine.

So, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!! :-)

Nice guide, good method.....I would never have tried this out if I hadn't read your guide :cheers:

hana-yukino

Hi

Post by hana-yukino » Jan 16th, '06, 06:23

It's okay i just used Winavi converter mainly cuse i wanted to see if you format would work given the correct files. It went really well until it came time to burn the iso. first off my iso file would not even open . i don't really know what you meant when you said you could burn it with any dvd burning software. So i just buring it like it was a data disc and i tried to make it work in my dvd played and it did not work. it's makes me very sad very very sad. :pale: so do you have any suggestions? also it took like 5 hours to convert 1 file using QuEn if i use the other encoders would it be faster? Cause winave converter only took like 20 mins to convert the file ( alhough i didn;t like it very much it cut off the a little bit of the pic where the sub was so i really didn't know what anybody was saying) I know you said that soft subs are better but hardsubs tend to be larger and i can actually see them from far away. My eye's sight's not that good and i like to be at least 5 ft away from the screen. Plus they usually come in pretty colors.

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » Jan 16th, '06, 15:32

bangkok_devious wrote:Hey, kyuuketsuki
Wanted to say thank you for making this guide-------I followed all the instructions even though I thought it would be crazily complicated (it was actually kind of easy). Overall, your method works incredibly well. Now I have a nice resized mpeg video :-)
I haven't burned to DVD yet, but I'm sure that it'll turn out fine.

So, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!! :-)

Nice guide, good method.....I would never have tried this out if I hadn't read your guide :cheers:
Thanks so much. I'm glad I could help out. If you have any questions, let me know. It may seem a bit overwhelming at first, but I think if someone follows the pictures exactly, then it it easy.

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » Jan 16th, '06, 15:47

i don't really know what you meant when you said you could burn it with any dvd burning software. So i just buring it like it was a data disc and i tried to make it work in my dvd played and it did not work. it's makes me very sad very very sad. pale so do you have any suggestions?
The tutorial says to burn as an "image" file. If you burn it as a data file, it will not work. Open your DVD burning software and there should be an option to "burn image". It will ask you for an ISO file.
also it took like 5 hours to convert 1 file using QuEn if i use the other encoders would it be faster? Cause winave converter only took like 20 mins to convert the file ( alhough i didn;t like it very much it cut off the a little bit of the pic where the sub was so i really didn't know what anybody was saying)
5 hours is probably about right, but the quality will be excellent compared to a program that took 20 minutes. Cinemecraft Encoder is the fastest, but it costs over $1,000. TmpgEnc is a bit slower, but it costs $100. QuEnc is the best free encoder that I know of. If you follow the FitCd and frameserving step in my tutorial, that will fix the "overscan" problem where the sides and subs are cut.
I know you said that soft subs are better but hardsubs tend to be larger and i can actually see them from far away. My eye's sight's not that good and i like to be at least 5 ft away from the screen. Plus they usually come in pretty colors.
Hard subs are even better than that. You can make them with any font, color, or size you want!

No matter which method you use, I really really suggest that you take a 10 second clip and do the conversion from start to finish until you get it correct. There should be no reason that it won't work if you just look at the pics in the tutorial and copy what is there. If you have Virtual Dub you can create a short clip, but I don't want to complicate things even more for you. If you PM me, then I can email you a short 1 MB clip for testing.

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » Jan 16th, '06, 16:01

I programmed my own application for batch conversions. You just set up the Dvd2Svcd parameters 1 time and my program converts all at once. If anyone is interested, then PM me and I will send it to you. I have been using it for a few weeks and have not had any problems.

bangkok_devious

Post by bangkok_devious » Jan 18th, '06, 19:52

Hi kyuuketsuki,
I've got a small problem (didn't think I'de have one :scratch: ). I followed all the directions and I know that I didn't make any mistakes (at least not big ones). Here goes: the DVD that I made plays perfectly on my DVD player-----except I still have the same problem as when I burned VCD's.

The subtitles are slightly cut off on the sides (I used a pre-hard-subbed vid----Hana Yori Dango by SARS). It's not bad, still watchable, but when the subtitles go across the screen words like "I" will be cut off and 'W' looks like 'V'....etc.

If you have any suggestions, I'm open to them (just want some advice before I go fiddling with the programs). Oh yeah, and I really payed attention to fhe "frame-serve" part of your tutorial, so I don't know what went wrong.

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » Jan 19th, '06, 05:13

The subtitles are slightly cut off on the sides (I used a pre-hard-subbed vid----Hana Yori Dango by SARS). It's not bad, still watchable, but when the subtitles go across the screen words like "I" will be cut off and 'W' looks like 'V'....etc.
You really should not have anything cut off on the sides or have your letters squeezed like that. The letters will get smaller, but they are proportional so the W would not look like a V. My initial guess is that you did not load the AVI into FitCD.

In the MPEG Resizing section of FitCd, I actually did not say this in the tutorial so I will add it now, but, you need to load the AVI with the "Source" button. This will choose the correct resolution and type next to the source button and fill out the apppriate check boxes on the left side. Don't change those to match what I have in the tutorial. Leave them however it sets them.

On the right side choose the destination as I have at DVD 720 x 480 and make sure none of the check boxes are checked. Leave everything else alone and only click where it says Blocks overscan. This should be 2.

If you think you have already followed these steps correctly then it could be that your TV just crops off more than usual. All TVs are different. What you need to do is then set Blocks overscan to 3.

I have been doing this a long time and I have never seen anything like you have described. I am curious to know if you are really following the steps and still not getting a perfect picture. I don't have that video so I can't check it out myself, but you could either send me a short clip or you can post a screen shot of your FitCd and DVD2SVCD frameserve tab and I could look at it.

bangkok_devious

Post by bangkok_devious » Jan 19th, '06, 18:08

[quote=Leave everything else alone and only click where it says Blocks overscan. This should be 2./quote]

That must be my problem, I didn't set that up (*embarrassed*).
Thanks Kyuuketsuki :-)

bangkok_devious

Post by bangkok_devious » Jan 21st, '06, 00:53

I'm kind of shy about asking more questions :unsure: but I just wanted to know if anyone else has had problems with QuEnc. When I'm encoding a 40-something minute drama it takes 1 hour and 30 minutes to encode (pretty good). But, if I encode a drama that is 1 hour long it takes 2-something hours (not complaining), after QuEnc hits the 2-hour mark it freezes (with about 10 minutes of encoding left).

If I press ctrl, alt, and delete to check on the program it says that it's "not responding". I really tried to cut back on time (I don't use 2-pass, and I tried it without VBR), but no matter what I do it still freezes.

It seems like I'm always fishing for tips, but I would really like some suggestions (hopefully this is the last time I ask for help *LOL*)

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Jan 21st, '06, 01:09

Note that kuyuuketsuki said:

"On the right side choose the destination as I have at DVD 720 x 480 and make sure none of the check boxes are checked. Leave everything else alone and only click where it says Blocks overscan. This should be 2."

(Note: The "Blocks" in this case appears to be a 16 pixel quantity.)

The critical thing here is "blocks overscan". Overscan compensation is necessary to avoid having the sides cut off on NTSC televisions (the kind used in the United States). I wrote a short article about this at:

http://www.transcoding.org/cgi-bin/transcode?Overscan

h2lam

Post by h2lam » Jan 21st, '06, 01:16

HI here,

I currently use WinAVi to convert Avi to MPEG2 and then use TMPEG DVD author to athor it and burn it into DVD. It takes 30-40mins to convert 1 hr epsidoe, so for a 3 episode (1.5hrs)+1hr to author + 30mins to burn, total = 2.5hrs for the whole process. Is your method faster? how logn does it take? thanks

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » Jan 21st, '06, 02:47

The critical thing here is "blocks overscan". Overscan compensation is necessary to avoid having the sides cut off on NTSC televisions (the kind used in the United States). I wrote a short article about this at:

http://www.transcoding.org/cgi-bin/transcode?Overscan
Nice article. Do you mind if I link to it from the tutorial?
I'm kind of shy about asking more questions Unsure but I just wanted to know if anyone else has had problems with QuEnc. When I'm encoding a 40-something minute drama it takes 1 hour and 30 minutes to encode (pretty good). But, if I encode a drama that is 1 hour long it takes 2-something hours (not complaining), after QuEnc hits the 2-hour mark it freezes (with about 10 minutes of encoding left).

If I press ctrl, alt, and delete to check on the program it says that it's "not responding". I really tried to cut back on time (I don't use 2-pass, and I tried it without VBR), but no matter what I do it still freezes.

It seems like I'm always fishing for tips, but I would really like some suggestions
Feel free to ask me any questions at any time. I'm relatively new and it seems certian questions are frowned upon, but you can PM me if you don't want to post. I don't use QuEnc regularly, but I will check it out and see if I have any problems with a 1 hour video.

HI here,

I currently use WinAVi to convert Avi to MPEG2 and then use TMPEG DVD author to athor it and burn it into DVD. It takes 30-40mins to convert 1 hr epsidoe, so for a 3 episode (1.5hrs)+1hr to author + 30mins to burn, total = 2.5hrs for the whole process. Is your method faster? how logn does it take? thanks

I updated the FAQ at the end of the tutorial.

Q: How long does the whole process take?
I always use the highest quality settings and it takes me between 3 and 4 hours to convert each AVI with a 1.6 GHz Pentium 4 . Typically, I set up a batch process for 4 AVIs and run it over night. When I come home from work the next day, I author and burn it.

Q: There are too many parameters and too many steps. I don't care about quality I just want to view it on my TV. Is there an easier way?
A: Yes. There are several popular programs that will do the conversion in 1 step. Check videohelp.com under the "tools / all-in-one conversion" section. However, I cannot recommend any of them. I have tried them all and I either ran into conversion problems or I don't like the quality that they produce.

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Jan 21st, '06, 02:57

@kyuuketsuki - by all means, link away!

jayph

Post by jayph » Jan 22nd, '06, 23:26

Hi kyuuketsuki,
Thank you for making this tutorial possible.
Can you help me though, I already converted an .avi file, but realize it's 5.459 gig.. more than the DVD.. is there any way I can split it?

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » Jan 24th, '06, 03:46

jayph wrote:Hi kyuuketsuki,
Thank you for making this tutorial possible.
Can you help me though, I already converted an .avi file, but realize it's 5.459 gig.. more than the DVD.. is there any way I can split it?
You could probably split it into 2 files, but you are better off just re-encoding it. It would be kind of a hassle to have to get up in the middle of the show to put in the other disc. Plus, a 4.7 GB DVD should be plenty big for a few shows.

Something went wrong in your setup. On the Bitrate tab, where it says "CD Size", make sure to type in the size that you want. If you want 3 AVIs on a disc, then make this 4430 / 3 = 1476. If you want to test after converting 1 AVI, then you can. Just burn the one episode to a DVD and it will work.

indiegirl

Please help!

Post by indiegirl » Jan 24th, '06, 16:31

Hi Kyuuketsuki,
I use Cinema Craft Encoder 2.5 SP Trial Version to encode a 350 MB AVI into MPEG using DVD2SVCD. Eventhough I entered 1109 in the CD size the resulting Mplex_Muxed_File00 size is 2.04 gB. I used TmpgEnc previously using the same CD size configuration and I always get 1.09 gB for similar size AVIs. Can you help me to find out what I did wrong?

Thanks,
indigirl

FitCD:
# -= AviSynth v2.5.6.0 script by FitCD v1.2.8 =-
AVISource("C:\Documents and Settings\andreana\Desktop\Andreana\Konna Koi No Hanashi\[neon]konna_koi_no_hanashi_ep03.avi")
LanczosResize(656,448,0,0,512,384)
AddBorders(32,16,32,16)
#Trim(0,66525).FadeOut(150)
ConvertToYUY2() # For VirtualDub or CCE
AudioDub(BlankClip()) # a CCE 2.50 'crashfix' for Athlons

DVDSVCD:

WNASPI32.DLL 0.0.0.0
- 1/24/2006 12:59:49 AM
- AVI to SVCD Conversion
- AVI2DVD ver. 1.2.3 build 1
Initializing
- C:\Documents and Settings\andreana\Desktop\Andreana\Konna Koi No Hanashi\[neon]konna_koi_no_hanashi_ep03.avi
Initializing finished.

- 1/24/2006 12:59:51 AM
- Free on drive C: 9908.61 mb
- AUDIO Extraction
Audio extraction finished.

- 1/24/2006 1:01:17 AM
- Free on drive C: 9866.13 mb
- AUDIO conversion
- 1/24/2006 1:01:20 AM
- Free on drive C: 9866.13 mb
- AUDIO conversion

Converting MP2 to WAV. Filename: C:\Documents and Settings\andreana\Desktop\Andreana\DVD2SVCD\Movie\Extracted_audio_1.mpa
Executing MADPlay (mp2 to wav). Commandline:
"C:\Documents and Settings\andreana\Desktop\Andreana\DVD2SVCD\MADPlay\madplay.exe" --quiet --output=wave:"C:\Documents and Settings\andreana\Desktop\Andreana\DVD2SVCD\Movie\Encoded_audio_1.mp2.wav" "C:\Documents and Settings\andreana\Desktop\Andreana\DVD2SVCD\Movie\Extracted_audio_1.mpa"
Conversion (mp2 to wav) of C:\Documents and Settings\andreana\Desktop\Andreana\DVD2SVCD\Movie\Extracted_audio_1.mpa finished.

Encoding Audio. Filename: C:\Documents and Settings\andreana\Desktop\Andreana\DVD2SVCD\Movie\Extracted_audio_1.mpa
Executing BeSweet. Commandline:
"C:\Documents and Settings\andreana\Desktop\Andreana\DVD2SVCD\BeSweet\BeSweet.exe" -core( -input "C:\Documents and Settings\andreana\Desktop\Andreana\DVD2SVCD\Movie\Encoded_audio_1.mp2.wav" -output "C:\DOCUME~1\andreana\Desktop\Andreana\DVD2SVCD\Movie\Encoded_audio_1.mp2" -logfile "C:\DOCUME~1\andreana\Desktop\Andreana\DVD2SVCD\Movie\Encoded_audio_1.log" ) -ota( -g max ) -shibatch( --rate 48000 ) -2lame( -e -b 224 -m s )
Audio conversion of C:\Documents and Settings\andreana\Desktop\Andreana\DVD2SVCD\Movie\Extracted_audio_1.mpa finished.

Audio conversion finished.

- 1/24/2006 1:08:18 AM
- Free on drive C: 9325.26 mb
- Video Encoding using Cinema Craft

Executing Cinema Craft Encoder.
StreamSectors: 1157437988
AudioSectors: 58100
VideoPAPO: 17928432
ScanOffsetBytes: 0
SeqAligningBytes: 0
DVDBytes: 0
VideoEndHeader: 4
SubtitleSectors: 0
EmptySectors: 238.00
PictureSectors: 0.00
PureMPEGStream: 1139451452.00
Seconds: 2.00
CalcMPEGStream: 1139451452.00
Frames: 0
CDSize: 1109.00
Number of CDs: 1
Cut point 1105.00
Variable Settings:
Frames: 0
Anti Noise Filter: 2
Passes: 2
Image Quality: 17
VAF file creation: On
Video Encoding Mode: Multipass VBR
Min. bitrate: 2000
Max. bitrate: 8000
Avg. Bitrate: 7200
Aspect Ratio: 4:3 (No borders, encoded as 4:3)

---AVS Begin---
LoadPlugin("C:\DOCUME~1\andreana\Desktop\Andreana\DVD2SVCD\dgindex\DGDecode.dll")
AVISource("C:\DOCUME~1\andreana\Desktop\Andreana\KONNAK~1\_NEON_~3.AVI",audio=false)
ConvertToYUY2()
Import("C:\Documents and Settings\andreana\Desktop\Andreana\DVD2SVCD\Movie\ResampleAudio.avs")
ResampleAudio(44100)
----AVS End----

Closing program
CCE Max Speed: 0.000
Video Encoding finished.

- 1/24/2006 1:25:48 AM
- Free on drive C: 7340.59 mb
- Video Pulldown
Executing Pulldown. Commandline:
"C:\Documents and Settings\andreana\Desktop\Andreana\DVD2SVCD\Pulldown\PULLDOWN.EXE" "C:\Documents and Settings\andreana\Desktop\Andreana\DVD2SVCD\Movie\Encoded_Video_CCE_NTSC.mpv" "C:\Documents and Settings\andreana\Desktop\Andreana\DVD2SVCD\Movie\Pulldown_Encoded_Video_NTSC.mpv" -prog_frames p
Video pulldown finished.

- 1/24/2006 1:33:13 AM
- Free on drive C: 5356.00 mb
- Multiplexing Audio and Video
Executing MPlex. Commandline:
"C:\Documents and Settings\andreana\Desktop\Andreana\DVD2SVCD\DVDAuthor\mplex.exe" -f 8 -o "C:\Documents and Settings\andreana\Desktop\Andreana\DVD2SVCD\Movie\MPlex_Muxed_File00.mpg" "C:\Documents and Settings\andreana\Desktop\Andreana\DVD2SVCD\Movie\Pulldown_Encoded_Video_NTSC.mpv" "C:\Documents and Settings\andreana\Desktop\Andreana\DVD2SVCD\Movie\Encoded_audio_1.mp2"
- 1/24/2006 1:38:06 AM
- Free on drive C: 3256.15 mb
- Determining length of audio
Analyzing: C:\Documents and Settings\andreana\Desktop\Andreana\DVD2SVCD\Movie\MPlex_Muxed_File00.mpg
2774.181 seconds C:\Documents and Settings\andreana\Desktop\Andreana\DVD2SVCD\Movie\MPlex_Muxed_File00.mpg
Analyzing finished.

Image creation finished.

- 1/24/2006 1:39:30 AM
- Free on drive C: 3256.15 mb
- Conversion done!

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » Jan 27th, '06, 04:50

But, if I encode a drama that is 1 hour long it takes 2-something hours (not complaining), after QuEnc hits the 2-hour mark it freezes (with about 10 minutes of encoding left).

Ok. I checked this out. I did a 75 min AVI and it encoded fine. It did not create an MPG file, but the MPV and MP2 files were fine for creating a DVD. I'm not sure what your problem could be. Sometimes the AVI headers get screwed up. You can try loading the AVI into Virtual Dub and see if it gives any errors. A lot of times you can fix the headers by doing a direct stream copy for both video and audio in VDub.
I use Cinema Craft Encoder 2.5 SP Trial Version to encode a 350 MB AVI into MPEG using DVD2SVCD. Eventhough I entered 1109 in the CD size the resulting Mplex_Muxed_File00 size is 2.04 gB. I used TmpgEnc previously using the same CD size configuration and I always get 1.09 gB for similar size AVIs. Can you help me to find out what I did wrong?
It looks like all the parameters are correct.
CDSize: 1109.00
Number of CDs: 1
Cut point 1105.00

Hmmmm, I'm not sure, but my guess is that DVD2SVCD does not work with the trial version or the version of CCE that you are using. You can always check the dvd2svcd forum to verify. You are probably better off using TMPG anyway since I believe the trial version of CCE puts a watermark on the video. TmpgEnc gives really great quality, just takes a bit longer to encode.

boji

Post by boji » Jan 30th, '06, 01:57

how come when i put in my burned disc into my ps2 it shows the menu and when i press play it just stays on the menu and all you can hear is the sounds and it doesnt show the video?

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » Jan 31st, '06, 02:44

boji wrote:how come when i put in my burned disc into my ps2 it shows the menu and when i press play it just stays on the menu and all you can hear is the sounds and it doesnt show the video?
Could be a lot of reasons. The PS2 is not the greatest DVD video player. It has some problems with compatibility. Might be your type of disc or it could even be the program you used to burn. The first thing I would do is to take the DVD you made and see if you can play it in your computer. If it plays, then it might be one of the things I mentioned above and you'd have to do some searching online to see what types of DVDRs work with the PS2.

bangkok_devious

Post by bangkok_devious » Feb 4th, '06, 07:37

kyuuketsuki wrote:
But, if I encode a drama that is 1 hour long it takes 2-something hours (not complaining), after QuEnc hits the 2-hour mark it freezes (with about 10 minutes of encoding left).

Ok. I checked this out. I did a 75 min AVI and it encoded fine. It did not create an MPG file, but the MPV and MP2 files were fine for creating a DVD. I'm not sure what your problem could be. Sometimes the AVI headers get screwed up. You can try loading the AVI into Virtual Dub and see if it gives any errors. A lot of times you can fix the headers by doing a direct stream copy for both video and audio in VDub.
Well, thanks for checking it out for me. I guess there's something about QuEnc that my computer dislikes (or vice-versa :roll ). I guess that it depends on the video. Another weird thing, I encoded nearly the whole series of "1 Litre of Tears" (great quality by the way :thumright: ) but once I tried to encode episode 11-----POOF! QuEnc started up, then immediately exitted. Weird. I tried renaming the file, and did the direct-stream copy in VirtualDub, no luck. In the end, I wound up resizing the vid with VirtualDub and just burning it in Nero.
Oh, not asking for advice by the way, just wanted to share what happened. Anyways, I did get really good quality with the tutorial (finally). Just something about QuEnc. :-)

bluberri_oreo

AviSynth

Post by bluberri_oreo » Feb 4th, '06, 08:02

I'm having trouble installing AviSynth. It says that I have to write permission for AviSynth for in my system directory in order for it to install ... how do i do that?

Thanks =D

Category9

Post by Category9 » Feb 4th, '06, 14:55

boji wrote:how come when i put in my burned disc into my ps2 it shows the menu and when i press play it just stays on the menu and all you can hear is the sounds and it doesnt show the video?
I have had to deal with that problem too. It may be the sound file for the menu. In my experience, .AC3 works fine with my PS2, but not my APEX DVD player. However, .MP2 works on my DVD player, but not on my PS2...

indiegirl

Question on selectable sub on DVD

Post by indiegirl » Feb 4th, '06, 20:32

Hi all,
I have an AVI file with softsub (.srt) that I would like to burn into a DVD for TV. I used DVD2SVCD to encode to MPEG2 without any problem. I then followed kyuuketsuki's tutorial to create DVD using DVDAuthorGUI, for softsubs I went to Extra/Add Subtitles menu and entered the .srt file. The thing is that when I played the VIDEO_TS file produced by DVDAuthorGUI on PowerDVD Player the subs does not show at all in the video. Am I supposed to see the subs showing at this point? Or do I have to burn the VIDEO_TS file first onto a DVD in order to see the subs?

Please help!

Thanks,
indiegirl

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » Feb 4th, '06, 22:09

Well, thanks for checking it out for me. I guess there's something about QuEnc that my computer dislikes (or vice-versa Roll Eyes ). I guess that it depends on the video. Another weird thing, I encoded nearly the whole series of "1 Litre of Tears" (great quality by the way thumright ) but once I tried to encode episode 11-----POOF! QuEnc started up, then immediately exitted. Weird. I tried renaming the file, and did the direct-stream copy in VirtualDub, no luck. In the end, I wound up resizing the vid with VirtualDub and just burning it in Nero.
Oh, not asking for advice by the way, just wanted to share what happened. Anyways, I did get really good quality with the tutorial (finally). Just something about QuEnc. Smile
I would be surprised if it had something to do with the time of the video. I still suspect there may be a problem with the header in one of the frames. There are some tools out there that fix the headers if they are bad. Most of the time though it is more trouble than it is worth. I've used them and rarely does it fix the problem. It is good to have a backup encoder like you used with VDub just in case.
I'm having trouble installing AviSynth. It says that I have to write permission for AviSynth for in my system directory in order for it to install ... how do i do that?
You should have no problems at all with this installation. Does it say exactly which file it is trying to access? Are you using Win2000 or XP? Make sure that you have permissons to install programs. Might also be that another program is using a dll that Avisynth needs to update. Shut down any programs that are running before installing.
I have an AVI file with softsub (.srt) that I would like to burn into a DVD for TV. I used DVD2SVCD to encode to MPEG2 without any problem. I then followed kyuuketsuki's tutorial to create DVD using DVDAuthorGUI, for softsubs I went to Extra/Add Subtitles menu and entered the .srt file. The thing is that when I played the VIDEO_TS file produced by DVDAuthorGUI on PowerDVD Player the subs does not show at all in the video. Am I supposed to see the subs showing at this point? Or do I have to burn the VIDEO_TS file first onto a DVD in order to see the subs?
I tried this and I can see the subtitles. They won't show if you fastforward though. You have to play at normal speed. Did you modify any of the subtitle settings? I would try it again and when you hit the "AuthorDvd" button, make sure that you see in the log file that it is converting the subtitles at the start. It is unlikely, but it also may be a problem with your srt file. You can open it with WordPad and see the times the subtiles should appear.

kht2015

Post by kht2015 » Feb 9th, '06, 23:01

I get the error below while authorizing the DVD:
ERR: Menu VOB reached 1gb
What can I do? Thank you.

One question, and please forgive me since this is the first time I am using this, do you do anything to the audio? I am just wondering where or how the audio is captured also.

groink

Post by groink » Feb 9th, '06, 23:15

kht2015 wrote:I get the error below while authorizing the DVD:
ERR: Menu VOB reached 1gb
What can I do? Thank you
Sounds like your menus are huge... Multiple chapters, animated icons on each chapter, background music, animated background, etc. When rasterizing all that content, it can really add up. There's a limit to 1GB per VOB under DVD standards. I'm quite positive that TMPGEnc DVD Author splits the VOBs into 1GB chunks for the video itself, but it may not do so for the menus. Quick work-around is to simplify the menus somehow... Maybe disabe the animation features or compress any audio in the menus to a smaller sample size.

--- groink

kht2015

Post by kht2015 » Feb 9th, '06, 23:24

Thank you Groink. I didn't realize I was doing that. I restarted it and let's see if it works.

Can you explain a little bit to me about the audio? When I burn the ISO image, does that burn the audio also? How is the audio captured?

Thanks.

groink

Post by groink » Feb 10th, '06, 03:20

kht2015 wrote:Can you explain a little bit to me about the audio? When I burn the ISO image, does that burn the audio also? How is the audio captured?
In the case of ISO, I'm assuming the ISO file is an image of a DVD that is configured using the VIDEO_TS format. Once your DVD is aassembled, you'll see one or more VOB files, each with a size of up to 1GB. A VOB file is basically video and audio muxed together. That's how audio is captured into to DVD.

Here's a great page that talk about DVD formats in detail:

http://www.videohelp.com/dvd

--- groink

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » Feb 10th, '06, 13:47

kht2015 wrote: I get the error below while authorizing the DVD:
ERR: Menu VOB reached 1gb.

Can you explain a little bit to me about the audio? When I burn the ISO image, does that burn the audio also? How is the audio captured?
Thanks.
I assume you are referring to the tutorial since you posted in this thread.
Something seems terribly wrong to me if your menu is over a GB. My menus are usually only a few MBs. Usually it takes me an hour of video to get up to a GB. My first guess is that you are adding the whole MPG to the menu instead of linking to it.

The audio and video are converted separately. DVD2SVCD uses BeSweet to convert the audio to MP2. It uses QuEnc to convert the video to MPV. After the conversion is finished the files are muxed together to get an audio/video MPG. Then as groink explained they are authored to the DVD.

kht2015

Post by kht2015 » Feb 10th, '06, 22:20

Thank you, both Groink and Kyuuketsuki. I think I got it.
One question, I am still not sure how to create the background menu. Can I use a jpg picture that I already have instead of a screen capture? And how do I insert it?

It takes me about 7 hours to encode a 710MB AVi file, using TMPGEnc (4 passes). Is this normal? Is there much difference between 2 and 4 passes?

groink

Post by groink » Feb 10th, '06, 22:41

kht2015 wrote:Thank you, both Groink and Kyuuketsuki. I think I got it.
One question, I am still not sure how to create the background menu. Can I use a jpg picture that I already have instead of a screen capture? And how do I insert it?
The background image for a menu can be either a BMP, PSD, TIFF, JPEG or a MPEG-2 file. I believe for TMPGEnc DVD Author you must use a MPEG-2 file with video/audio if you want background music. To do that, you would have to create a movie using a MPEG-2 movie creator (I use Pinnacle Studio 10) and add the audio to the audio stream. DVD Author doesn't allow you to use a still image AND audio as a combo in the menus.

To add the background image to a DVD menu, you must first save the existing menu theme as a custom theme (more likely you've already done this step.) From there, under Create menu, click the background image and it'll bring up a window allowing you to add a picture. Like I mentioned earlier, the "picture" can be either stills or motion video.
kht2015 wrote:It takes me about 7 hours to encode a 710MB AVi file, using TMPGEnc (4 passes). Is this normal? Is there much difference between 2 and 4 passes?
Each case will give you different results - good or bad. Most of the time, two passes is all you really need. In some cases, the more passes you make, the worse the video quality gets.

--- groink

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » Feb 11th, '06, 13:45

kht2015 wrote:Thank you, both Groink and Kyuuketsuki. I think I got it.
If you are using DvdAuthorGui, then go to Menu/Create m2v still. You can import your jpg file here. Then go to Menu/Add Titleset Menu to create your menu. Use the m2v you just created and you can add audio here if you want, but I usually just go with the still image.
kht2015 wrote: It takes me about 7 hours to encode a 710MB AVi file, using TMPGEnc (4 passes). Is this normal? Is there much difference between 2 and 4 passes?
7 hours sounds about right. If you are using DVD2SVCD, the number of passes is ignored by TmpgEnc. I don't belive TmpgEnc can even do more than 2 passes. To do 2 pass VBR, make sure your Rate Control Mode is 2 pass VBR. The time TmpgEnc takes is primarily based on "motion search precision". If you don't want to wait for 7 hours, then drop this down from the highest quality setting. The quality won't be as good on the lower settings, but you'll get pretty decent results using "normal quality".

uun

Post by uun » Feb 15th, '06, 17:44

i think playing dvds on a ps2 is a bad idea
it's what messed mine up anyway
i think it reads game dvds differently than pressed dvds or dvdrs? the sounds were different anyway
now cannot play the game i bought the ps2 to play with! bogus

nalika

Post by nalika » Feb 15th, '06, 20:15

Okay...I followed every steps and when i get to the encoder....one the bar it say "cinema craft encoder"...I got lost... :cry: ..what do i put on this bar...

Deleted User 44190

Post by Deleted User 44190 » Feb 17th, '06, 06:54

There's one thing that makes me think.
It doesn't matter whether it's avi or mpg, xvid or divx, it will still burn as a dvd file if I try to burn it on a dvd. All the the dvd players will play it right?

doom89757

Post by doom89757 » Feb 17th, '06, 14:22

In a DVD dics can put up to how many hours of show 1??

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » Feb 18th, '06, 02:31

nalika wrote:Okay...I followed every steps and when i get to the encoder....one the bar it say "cinema craft encoder"...I got lost... :cry: ..what do i put on this bar...
You need to download an encoder. You can use Cinemecraft Encoder, TmpgEnc, or QuEnc. QuEnc is the only free one of the 3. Download and install it, then point to the executable.

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » Feb 18th, '06, 02:36

There's one thing that makes me think.
It doesn't matter whether it's avi or mpg, xvid or divx, it will still burn as a dvd file if I try to burn it on a dvd. All the the dvd players will play it right?
Nope. For standard video DVD you can only burn MPG. If you burn anything else, you can only burn as a "data" disc. This is not a DVD compliant video and it won't play on most dvd players.
In a DVD dics can put up to how many hours of show 1??
I've never actually tried to see how many hours I can get on a DVD, but if you use 3 to 4 hours you will get good quality.

Deleted User 44190

Post by Deleted User 44190 » Feb 18th, '06, 05:59

I thought you can burn avi to dvd.
As long as they are converted to dvd files, they are playable on dvd players right?

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » Feb 18th, '06, 16:07

YouShan wrote:I thought you can burn avi to dvd.
As long as they are converted to dvd files, they are playable on dvd players right?
The way you worded it is kind of misleading. You can't burn AVI to DVD, but you can convert AVI to MPG then burn to DVD. So in reality you can watch any video on your TV using your DVD player because you can covert anything to MPG.

Dancky2

Post by Dancky2 » Feb 18th, '06, 16:25

well uh what if my the file i want to burn into dvd is alrdy mpg without converting, and i still have subs for it what do i do to get the title screen and all that?

linath

Post by linath » Feb 19th, '06, 11:09

Hi, the problem with me is not abt DVD2SDVD, it's DVDAuthorGui, I download both DVDAuthorGui 1.007 and 1.008, but when I click to let it run, this warning appears :
[img]

How can I solve this problem ?[/img]
Why the image is not appear ??? the warning says this :

Failed to load control 'CommonDialog' from comdlg32.ocx. Your version of comdlg32.ocx may be outdated. Make sure you are using the version of the control that was provided with your application.

frosting`

Post by frosting` » Feb 19th, '06, 21:42

I have a question.
After I finish authoring my dvd using DVDAuthorGUI, I play the VOB file on my computer but there aren't any subtitles showing. I did this a few more times but it still won't show up.. Is there something I did wrong..?

Thank you so much for this tutoprial though =)

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » Feb 20th, '06, 15:32

well uh what if my the file i want to burn into dvd is alrdy mpg without converting, and i still have subs for it what do i do to get the title screen and all that?
Just use a DVD authoring tool like DvdAuthorGui.
Hi, the problem with me is not abt DVD2SDVD, it's DVDAuthorGui, I download both DVDAuthorGui 1.007 and 1.008, but when I click to let it run, this warning appears :

Failed to load control 'CommonDialog' from comdlg32.ocx. Your version of comdlg32.ocx may be outdated. Make sure you are using the version of the control that was provided with your application.
Your Windows files are outdated or not complete. You need to have the latest Visual Basic run time / Active X libraires installed to run DvdGuiAuthor. Reinstall DvdAuthorGui and make sure to choose "Full Install". You can also download the libraries from Microsoft's homepage.
After I finish authoring my dvd using DVDAuthorGUI, I play the VOB file on my computer but there aren't any subtitles showing. I did this a few more times but it still won't show up.. Is there something I did wrong..?
First check the DvdAuthorGui log file after you are done. Someone else had posted and said they had problems with this also. It seems to work for me using PowerDvd. Make sure you hit the "subtitle" button on whatever player you are using. If you are still having problems, the main d-addicts faq talks about subtitles or do a search at videohelp.com.

yamiazn

Post by yamiazn » Feb 22nd, '06, 03:21

There is another way to do this by using nerovision but it not free =/

uniquo

Post by uniquo » Feb 23rd, '06, 13:21

is this for hdtv rips?

I used this script

a=AviSource("H:\Downloads\The.Imperial.Household.E01.KOR.HDTV.XViD-HODOLi.avi",false).Textsub("H:\Downloads\The.Imperial.Household.E01.KOR.HDTV.XViD-HODOLi.srt")
b=AviSource("H:\Downloads\The.Imperial.Household.E02.KOR.HDTV.XViD-HODOLi.avi",false).Textsub("H:\Downloads\The.Imperial.Household.E02.KOR.HDTV.XViD-HODOLi.srt")
c=AviSource("H:\Downloads\The.Imperial.Household.E03.KOR.HDTV.XViD-HODOLi.avi",false).Textsub("H:\Downloads\The.Imperial.Household.E03.KOR.HDTV.XViD-HODOLi.srt")
d=AviSource("H:\Downloads\The.Imperial.Household.E04.KOR.HDTV.XViD-HODOLi.avi",false).Textsub("H:\Downloads\The.Imperial.Household.E04.KOR.HDTV.XViD-HODOLi.srt")
e=AviSource("H:\Downloads\The.Imperial.Household.E05.KOR.HDTV.XViD-HODOLi.avi",false).Textsub("H:\Downloads\The.Imperial.Household.E05.KOR.HDTV.XViD-HODOLi.srt")
f=AviSource("H:\Downloads\The.Imperial.Household.E06.KOR.HDTV.XViD-HODOLi.avi",false).Textsub("H:\Downloads\The.Imperial.Household.E06.KOR.HDTV.XViD-HODOLi.srt")
g=AviSource("H:\Downloads\The.Imperial.Household.E07.KOR.HDTV.XViD-HODOLi.avi",false).Textsub("H:\Downloads\The.Imperial.Household.E07.KOR.HDTV.XViD-HODOLi.srt")
h=AviSource("H:\Downloads\The.Imperial.Household.E08.KOR.HDTV.XViD-HODOLi.avi",false).Textsub("H:\Downloads\The.Imperial.Household.E08.KOR.HDTV.XViD-HODOLi.srt")
i=AviSource("H:\Downloads\The.Imperial.Household.E09.KOR.HDTV.XViD-HODOLi.avi",false).Textsub("H:\Downloads\The.Imperial.Household.E09.KOR.HDTV.XViD-HODOLi.srt")
a+b+c+d+e+f+g+h+i
converttoYV12()
BlindPP(cpu=4)
Blockbuster(method="noise",detail_min=1,detail_max=3,variance=0.1,seed=1)
Convolution3D(1, 6, 12, 6, 8, 2.8, 0)
GripCrop(352, 240, overscan=1, source_anamorphic=false)
GripSize(resizer="LanczosResize")
Undot()
TemporalSoften(2,7,7,3,2)
DCTFilter(1,1,1,1,1,1,0.5,0)
#Blockbuster(method="noise",detail_min=1,detail_max=10,variance=0.3,seed=5623)
GripBorders()

function LRemoveDust_YV12(clip input, int clmode, int "limit")
{
limit=default(limit,2)
clmode=default(clmode,17)
repmode = 2
clensed = Clense(input)
rep = Repair(clensed, input, mode=repmode)
rg = RemoveGrain(rep, mode=clmode)
return LimitChange(rg, input, limit, limitU=255)
}

and the ending result looks dead crap.....when you have the litlest motion I get noise.

I have a amd 2400windows xp computer and am just using hte ssetools.

Can someone help me and tell me what wrong with the script?

I use the kdvd 10hr ntsc template this way I can cram 10 eps into 1 dvd

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » Feb 25th, '06, 14:46

I used this script ... I use the kdvd 10hr ntsc template this way I can cram 10 eps into 1 dvd
I'm not sure what program or encoder you are using, but 10 hours on a single DVD seems like way too much to me. Personally I keep it under 4 hours and if I want really high quality, I will stick with 3.

gixo
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by gixo » Feb 25th, '06, 15:21

Hi, one stupid question. I have an avi-DVD rip and want to burn it on DVD. Now the file has different audio tracks. So if I convert my avi and burn it are the different audio tracks still available? Sorry, don't know how to split avi yet, so I cannot test it myself.

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » Feb 25th, '06, 15:37

gixo wrote:Hi, one stupid question. I have an avi-DVD rip and want to burn it on DVD. Now the file has different audio tracks. So if I convert my avi and burn it are the different audio tracks still available? Sorry, don't know how to split avi yet, so I cannot test it myself.
No question is stupid :-) .

If you are using DVD2SVCD, in the audio tab, make sure to check "Audio 2 Priority 1" and fill out the bitrate. Then when you import the video into DvdAuthorGui select "add additional audio track".

Keep in mind that any additional audio tracks use up space on the disc, so to keep the video at high quality, you may want to put less episodes on there.

gixo
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by gixo » Feb 26th, '06, 10:56

kyuuketsuki wrote:
gixo wrote:Hi, one stupid question. I have an avi-DVD rip and want to burn it on DVD. Now the file has different audio tracks. So if I convert my avi and burn it are the different audio tracks still available? Sorry, don't know how to split avi yet, so I cannot test it myself.
No question is stupid :-) .

If you are using DVD2SVCD, in the audio tab, make sure to check "Audio 2 Priority 1" and fill out the bitrate. Then when you import the video into DvdAuthorGui select "add additional audio track".

Keep in mind that any additional audio tracks use up space on the disc, so to keep the video at high quality, you may want to put less episodes on there.
thanks for your help. Now I have another question. I also have some small video-files with dual audio and I don't want to waste a DVD on 200mb. So is it also possible to do all the steps you described before and burn it as a VCD or SVCD and still have both audio tracks on it?

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » Feb 26th, '06, 18:49

thanks for your help. Now I have another question. I also have some small video-files with dual audio and I don't want to waste a DVD on 200mb. So is it also possible to do all the steps you described before and burn it as a VCD or SVCD and still have both audio tracks on it?
Yeah, except you don't need to use DvdAuthorGui. Just use DVD2SVCD and select the output as either SVCD or VCD. Just burn the output to a CDR. It's been a while, but I have created some dual audio track SVCDs so I know it works.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Feb 27th, '06, 01:43

wow! an excellent tutorial. i'm really looking forward to using this. thanks for the write-up.

kht2015

Post by kht2015 » Feb 28th, '06, 16:17

Thank you so much for the tutorial, it took me a couple of tries but I got it. I have a question now, I've been using TMPEnc and want to switch to Cinematic Craft Encoder. I have version 2.7 but DVD2SVCD is using 2.5. I using Multipass and tried 2 passes but it's still encoding only 1 pass, the result file is quite big and quality is not as great as TMPenc with 2 passes. Is there a reason why CCE only does 1 pass, is it because of the difference in version? If so, can I set it differently? Is CCE faster than TmpEnc? Thank you.

I have version 2.5 but I am wondering if 2.7 is faster.

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » Mar 1st, '06, 01:54

wow! an excellent tutorial. i'm really looking forward to using this. thanks for the write-up.
Thanks! Let me know if you have any questions, comments, or suggestions.
I've been using TMPEnc and want to switch to Cinematic Craft Encoder. I have version 2.7 but DVD2SVCD is using 2.5. I using Multipass and tried 2 passes but it's still encoding only 1 pass, the result file is quite big and quality is not as great as TMPenc with 2 passes. Is there a reason why CCE only does 1 pass, is it because of the difference in version? If so, can I set it differently? Is CCE faster than TmpEnc? Thank you.

I have version 2.5 but I am wondering if 2.7 is faster.
I'm not 100% sure, but I think DVD2SVCD does not work with CCE 2.7. I will add this to the FAQ because several people have asked about it, but as far as video quality, 1 pass VBR and CBR are worthless. I've done many tests and in my opinion, CCE and TmpgEnc produce the same quality. CCE is faster, but TmpgEnc gives you way more flexibility. All versions that I know of CCE and TmpgEnc use SSE2. The later versions probably fix some bugs, do some optimizations and if they don't already will take advantage of dual core processors and dual CPU machines.

Having said that, I wouldn't worry too much about using CCE 2.5, 2.7, or TmpgEnc. What matters most is using VBR, how good your original AVI looks, and the bitrate of your DVD. The more episodes you put on 1 DVD, the lower the bitrate and the lower the quality. If you want top quality, then stick with about 3 hours per DVD. 4 hours will give you pretty decent results also.

Strider

Post by Strider » Mar 5th, '06, 17:45

Hello Kyuuketsuki,

I just read the update on the transcode issue, but I'm not sure how to apply it...
Do I put the code in the AviSynth script, where they ask to input the borders? (i.e. instead of 1=AddBorders(32,16,32,16), it would be 1=AddBorders(-j -18,-34,-22,-34)? Or do I need to use another program to do this?

Thanks for your help

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » Mar 6th, '06, 00:41

Strider wrote:Hello Kyuuketsuki,

I just read the update on the transcode issue, but I'm not sure how to apply it...
Do I put the code in the AviSynth script, where they ask to input the borders? (i.e. instead of 1=AddBorders(32,16,32,16), it would be 1=AddBorders(-j -18,-34,-22,-34)? Or do I need to use another program to do this?

Thanks for your help
Load the AVI into FitCD. Then copy the LanczosResize and AddBorders parameters into your AviSynth script on your frameserve tab in DVD2SVCD.

kht2015

Post by kht2015 » Mar 7th, '06, 18:57

Hello Kyuuketsuki,
I am running into a problem with 1 AVI. When I loaded into DVD2SVCD, it said: "The original video framerate of 29.965 is not supported. The framerate will be adjusted". The transcoding process took over 12 hours. After it's finished encoding, when I try to play the mpeg file, it does not have any sound. I've never run into any problem like this. Is there a way to solve this? All other mpeg files I've encoded have sounds, except this one. Is there a way for me to add the sound when I use DVDAUTHORGUI? Are these problems related?

Thank you.

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » Mar 8th, '06, 00:32

kht2015 wrote:Hello Kyuuketsuki,
I am running into a problem with 1 AVI. When I loaded into DVD2SVCD, it said: "The original video framerate of 29.965 is not supported. The framerate will be adjusted". The transcoding process took over 12 hours. After it's finished encoding, when I try to play the mpeg file, it does not have any sound. I've never run into any problem like this. Is there a way to solve this? All other mpeg files I've encoded have sounds, except this one. Is there a way for me to add the sound when I use DVDAUTHORGUI? Are these problems related?

Thank you.
There are a few things we can try. You should be able to convert the video and audio separately and since it took 12 hours to encode the video, let's just try and do the audio. First, can you post your dvd2svcd log file so I can see where things went wrong. Also, let me know if you have an mpv file or an "encoded_pulldown.mpv" file.

saigo_x

Post by saigo_x » Mar 8th, '06, 00:45

Can you explain the audio settings for DVD2SVCD? In the setup instructions all it says is "setup audio", but just above the FAQ it seems to say BeSweet will not encode the audio.

kht2015

Post by kht2015 » Mar 8th, '06, 03:43

kyuuketsuki wrote:
kht2015 wrote:Hello Kyuuketsuki,

Thank you.
There are a few things we can try. You should be able to convert the video and audio separately and since it took 12 hours to encode the video, let's just try and do the audio. First, can you post your dvd2svcd log file so I can see where things went wrong. Also, let me know if you have an mpv file or an "encoded_pulldown.mpv" file.
I don't have the log anymore :whistling: I will save it the next time if I have any problem.
And I checked and I did not have the "encoded_pulldown.mpv" file.
What do you suggest I can do now? Thank you.

doom89757

Post by doom89757 » Mar 8th, '06, 04:59

I was wondering , if wat processors is the best to to do all these video encoding & burn stuff??Coz i think this process is very long, do we really need a Dual Core processor??