[CDrama] Return Of The Condor Heroes (CCTV, 2006)

Discuss chinese drama series here.
crazylife123
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by crazylife123 » Jan 8th, '06, 08:44

auroragb wrote:
~shinigami~ wrote:The only thing is I grew up watching TVB so no matter how much it lacks when compared to mainland productions, I'll still watch it.

But I am noticing the great actresses mainland are picking up. LYF is still the cutest out of all the actresses I've seen though.
I still think that TVB still has some of the best writing and dialog. They just don't have the budget.

They might be the only broadcast company that still has a training program. it keeps them competitive because it's hard to find talent that has training. Whereas mainland scouts just need to visit drama schools
auroragb...wouldn't be much cheaper to hire a new actor since they're low on budget?

auroragb

Post by auroragb » Jan 8th, '06, 09:10

crazylife123 wrote:
auroragb wrote:
~shinigami~ wrote:The only thing is I grew up watching TVB so no matter how much it lacks when compared to mainland productions, I'll still watch it.

But I am noticing the great actresses mainland are picking up. LYF is still the cutest out of all the actresses I've seen though.
I still think that TVB still has some of the best writing and dialog. They just don't have the budget.

They might be the only broadcast company that still has a training program. it keeps them competitive because it's hard to find talent that has training. Whereas mainland scouts just need to visit drama schools
auroragb...wouldn't be much cheaper to hire a new actor since they're low on budget?
But they would not have the skills to carry off the script. Imagine F4 level acting (from MG) on all dramas.

This is most important on comedies (very important element in HK dramas). If you don't have the timing / delivery skills, the joke just WON'T work! No matter how pretty you look. Whereas looking ugly might help make the punch line more effective because there's no way to look worse, just funny :)

crazylife123
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by crazylife123 » Jan 8th, '06, 09:13

auroragb wrote:
crazylife123 wrote:
auroragb wrote:I still think that TVB still has some of the best writing and dialog. They just don't have the budget.

But they would not have the skills to carry off the script. Imagine F4 level acting (from MG) on all dramas.

This is most important on comedies (very important element in HK dramas). If you don't have the timing / delivery skills, the joke just WON'T work! No matter how pretty you look. Whereas looking ugly might help make the punch line more effective because there's no way to look worse, just funny :)
I feel you...HK are good in comedies series. LoL

skachild

Post by skachild » Jan 8th, '06, 09:24

yeah... for example virtue of harmony..!

crazylife123
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by crazylife123 » Jan 8th, '06, 09:25

Gandalf from 'Lord of the Rings'... :D

crazylife123
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by crazylife123 » Jan 8th, '06, 09:26

**Pictures provided by YiTianJian

~shinigami~

Post by ~shinigami~ » Jan 8th, '06, 14:01

skachild wrote:yeah... for example virtue of harmony..!

One of my favourite shows ever!

dnam

Post by dnam » Jan 8th, '06, 17:25

virtual of harmony is 1 of the best show ever.. but dam it's too long :blink
what happened to the oldest bro in the family.. why did he disapeared :whistling:

ank2go

Post by ank2go » Jan 10th, '06, 00:33

I think I found a site that has this series. But does anyone know if this is with Eng sub?

http://silentregrets.com/?cat=6

crazylife123
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by crazylife123 » Jan 10th, '06, 02:39

ank2go wrote:I think I found a site that has this series. But does anyone know if this is with Eng sub?

http://silentregrets.com/?cat=6
Wrong remake...that one is by Chris/Fann...ROCH '98. this remake hasn't been release yet.

ank2go

Post by ank2go » Jan 10th, '06, 02:47

Thanks for the reply !

crazylife123
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by crazylife123 » Jan 10th, '06, 07:45

might be a rumor but might not be...delay until mid Feb. *sigh*

~shinigami~

Post by ~shinigami~ » Jan 10th, '06, 09:24

crazylife123 wrote:might be a rumor but might not be...delay until mid Feb. *sigh*
I feel for you crazylife123, you've been waiting for 2 years.

xuantocdo

Post by xuantocdo » Jan 10th, '06, 22:33

crazylife123 wrote:might be a rumor but might not be...delay until mid Feb. *sigh*
noooooo. :cussing:

of _the_fire_roots

Post by of _the_fire_roots » Jan 11th, '06, 00:45

yep, i grew up watching TVB too. thats all i did when i was little, no games, no toys, just TVB. and i think its GREAT :lol

of _the_fire_roots

Post by of _the_fire_roots » Jan 11th, '06, 00:49

yea i heard about this too, they are still doing something and it might not be in time for New Years. even though i just found out about this series nov 2005, it seems to be 2 yrs to me :cry:

~shinigami~

Post by ~shinigami~ » Jan 11th, '06, 02:04

of _the_fire_roots wrote:

yep, i grew up watching TVB too. thats all i did when i was little, no games, no toys, just TVB. and i think its GREAT :lol
I think it's awesome too. Except a lot of people says it lacks compared to mainland productions so I guess there must be some truth to it that's why it was in my post above but I love TVB.

And I think another thing that makes me like TVB is that I also grew up watching the same actors. That's why I haven't been watching many TVB series lately because of lack of time and motivation because of all the "New Generation" TVB actors that I'm unfamiliar with.

vietbaboon

Post by vietbaboon » Jan 11th, '06, 06:26

OH man. when is this serie actually coming out? i keep watching the MV.
i love Liu Yi Fei. will definitely buy the DVD when it comes out...i hope it has English subtitle. i can't wait ANOTHER year for it.

of _the_fire_roots

Post by of _the_fire_roots » Jan 11th, '06, 13:01

vietbaboon wrote:OH man. when is this serie actually coming out? i keep watching the MV.
i love Liu Yi Fei. will definitely buy the DVD when it comes out...i hope it has English subtitle. i can't wait ANOTHER year for it.
when i meant New Years i meant Chinese New Years, which is the end of january, not next year

crazylife123
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by crazylife123 » Jan 12th, '06, 01:33

Here are some new clips of ROCH:

http://s53.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0OVF ... VP9F9N0ZNZ

http://s51.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=19BS ... E6JUTYSCRT

Just from these clips...you could tell LYF's performance has increase tremendously from her previous series.

Grapz

Post by Grapz » Jan 12th, '06, 01:33

whats TVB lol

crazylife123
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by crazylife123 » Jan 12th, '06, 01:36

Grapz wrote:whats TVB lol
mostly HK movie/series productions. It's like paramount, universal...etc...

of _the_fire_roots

Post by of _the_fire_roots » Jan 12th, '06, 04:19

crazylife123 wrote:Here are some new clips of ROCH:

Just from these clips...you could tell LYF's performance has increase tremendously from her previous series.
omg all u did was increase my impatience to watch this series!!! but thanks anyways, it just made me want to watch it even more. i really do hope that the rumors are just rumors or just two weeks is good enough for me to go crazy :crazy:

crazylife123
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by crazylife123 » Jan 12th, '06, 09:32

omg all u did was increase my impatience to watch this series!!! but thanks anyways, it just made me want to watch it even more. i really do hope that the rumors are just rumors or just two weeks is good enough for me to go crazy :crazy:
It's not a rumor. It'll be delay until the middle of Feb. :cussing:

skachild

Post by skachild » Jan 12th, '06, 12:01

crazylife123 wrote:

WHAT..!! delay until the middle of Feb.. :crazy: :goggle: :cussing:

auroragb

Post by auroragb » Jan 12th, '06, 16:44

skachild wrote:
crazylife123 wrote:
of _the_fire_roots wrote:omg all u did was increase my impatience to watch this series!!! but thanks anyways, it just made me want to watch it even more. i really do hope that the rumors are just rumors or just two weeks is good enough for me to go crazy :crazy:
WHAT..!! delay until the middle of Feb.. :crazy: :goggle: :cussing:
Indeed, not a good start to the chinese new year :cussing:

xuantocdo

Post by xuantocdo » Jan 12th, '06, 19:51

crazylife123 wrote:

another delay :cussing: let's hope it's final this time. what if they push the release date to the Moon festival? :whistling: ..... :cussing: :cussing:

crazylife123
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by crazylife123 » Jan 12th, '06, 20:14

xuantocdo wrote:
another delay :cussing: let's hope it's final this time. what if they push the release date to the Moon festival? :whistling: ..... :cussing: :cussing:
don't joke like that...that wouldn't be funny at all.

of _the_fire_roots

Post by of _the_fire_roots » Jan 12th, '06, 22:43

crazylife123 wrote:
xuantocdo wrote:
don't joke like that...that wouldn't be funny at all.
what a HORRIBLE thing to joke about. if they did that, i would ..... i dunno what i would do but its not going to be good. that better be the LAST time they move it back :cussing: :cussing: :cussing:

o yea, is it just me or the 2nd clip kind of messed up. it was like "lagging" on my comp. the 1st one was fine

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Jan 12th, '06, 22:55

Ah these delays are driving us all nuts. They're also driving up our expectation so I sure hope I won't be disappointed.

chenwei

Post by chenwei » Jan 13th, '06, 02:34

crazylife,

How come theres still no news about this one, grumble!!
A nephew of mine told me a lot of ppl in Wenzhou already watched this one streaming from paysites couple months ago!

crazylife123
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by crazylife123 » Jan 13th, '06, 03:18

chenwei wrote:crazylife,

How come theres still no news about this one, grumble!!
A nephew of mine told me a lot of ppl in Wenzhou already watched this one streaming from paysites couple months ago!
you sure it's not the '98 version? many people always mistaken it with '98 version.

crazylife123
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by crazylife123 » Jan 13th, '06, 20:19

I think this was captured from streaming. The picture will freeze and the sound will sometimes be out of sync with the picture. This is the way I got it so there isn't anything I can do.

It takes up where the last one leaves off. Passionless Valley rejection. Then XLN playing the qin. Yg practicing his lightness kung fu by running across the waters. He acts really young and starts to talk nonsense. He goes a little too far and displeases a severe XLN.

There is also a more fleshed out scene of the rape. I think one of his brother disciple sees him at the start of the rape. I think it might be YG's former seifu b/c he just walks away instead of stopping it.

http://s38.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0WHB ... G7EEJBY33L

**originally posted by asassin.

of _the_fire_roots

Post by of _the_fire_roots » Jan 14th, '06, 00:14

woo hoo!! thanks crazylife, i guess this will do cause those ppl decided to test out our patiences and see how long it takes for us to go crazy.

crazylife123
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by crazylife123 » Jan 14th, '06, 08:39

Much clearer picture and no freezing of the pictures. The scene where XLN plays the qin and a Mischievous YG runs across the water to bug her. They are really cute together! She comes across as very mature and cool. He on the other hand acts like a little kid. I didn't notice the actual age difference while they interacted. The more mature voice of the voice actress helped a bit.

I was able to pay attention to the dialogue and YG is speculating about the qin song. XLN is playing the music left behind by the founder of the tomb sect, Lum Chiu Ying. YG reasoned out that the song was very sad and reflect the founder's state of mind. She was thinking about a man. WHo could it be? Only a very powerful Martial Artist would be worthy of the Founder. The Stinking Taoist Priest, Wang Chong Yang (founder of the neighboring Chuan Chen sect)??! That's when she reprimands him with 'What are you saying.' He is really cute. He can't stand being ignored and she is very tolerant of his antics. I would have yelled at my younger siblings if they did that.

http://s37.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=301F ... F6GRXJAD1C

**provided by asassin

of _the_fire_roots

Post by of _the_fire_roots » Jan 14th, '06, 18:31

thanks so much crazylife and asassin, no freezing pics. YAY! :w00t:

calla9

Post by calla9 » Jan 14th, '06, 18:56

In my opinion, this girl is way TOO young to be the main character. Originally, the lady main character is 18 yrs old and up. As for this actress, she looks under 15 yrs old. The novel said the lady main character is older than the male main charactor, however, they choice the wrong actress. I saw her acting from Chinese Paladin, her acting make her looks pure, innocent and dumb, which is suitable for the female main character of Return of Condor Hero. However, if they want her to act as this character, they should wait 5 yrs when she grow older to film this. Cause, they messed up the whole point of SHE WAS SUPPOSED TO BE OLDER THAN THE MALE CHARACTER. Remember, SHE'S THE ONE WHO FOUND HIM ON HER 18TH BDAY WHEN HE WAS ONLY 6 YEARS OLD. She raised him up and he calls her auntie.

I love this story when i was young. And is disappointing to find they choice the wrong actress for this story... :( I saw the pictures, the film looks good, but still i hope they could've waited five years later to film this.

crazylife123
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by crazylife123 » Jan 14th, '06, 19:14

calla9 wrote:In my opinion, this girl is way TOO young to be the main character. Originally, the lady main character is 18 yrs old and up. As for this actress, she looks under 15 yrs old. The novel said the lady main character is older than the male main charactor, however, they choice the wrong actress. I saw her acting from Chinese Paladin, her acting make her looks pure, innocent and dumb, which is suitable for the female main character of Return of Condor Hero. However, if they want her to act as this character, they should wait 5 yrs when she grow older to film this. Cause, they messed up the whole point of SHE WAS SUPPOSED TO BE OLDER THAN THE MALE CHARACTER. Remember, SHE'S THE ONE WHO FOUND HIM ON HER 18TH BDAY WHEN HE WAS ONLY 6 YEARS OLD. She raised him up and he calls her auntie.

I love this story when i was young. And is disappointing to find they choice the wrong actress for this story... :( I saw the pictures, the film looks good, but still i hope they could've waited five years later to film this.
i didn't want to go through again. i don't know what novel you're reading but i think you read the wrong book.

XLN was 18 when YG met her in Ancient Tomb. Yang Guo was 14 years old(6 years old? are you kidding me?)

At age 22, in the novel...it stated that XLN suppose to look 16-17 years old.

Ok, do you want to know why she slowly age? The martial arts that she learned and the ice jade bed that she slept in...helps her aging process. The novel stated that even at age 100, she'll look like someone in their 50s.

XLN has no emotions; therefore, that also help her as well. YG on the other hand is different from XLN. He stressed over so much with his father's death, criticism, his arm being chop off, his aunt/uncle being the culprit of his father's death...and most of all XLN running away all the time.

I can't blame you though. You're use to the TVB version. All of the XLN there looks much older than YG. But guess what...they butchered the novel so much that Jin Yong has stop them from using any of his work again. He's only dealing with only Mainland China now.

As for LYF, Jin Yong picked her out of 30 other actresses. He said that she fits the description of XLN the best. She's the perfect for the job. Only thing we have to see are her acting abilities...but what i've seen so far from the recent clips...she has improve a lot and doing a good job at it too.

oh yea...he called her Gu Gu(auntie) not because she's older than him. XLN is YG's master. XLN asked him to call her master but he refused. YG had a master before from the Quan Chen(probably wrong spelling) Sect...that master treated him bad and YG hated his master. He said this. "I don't want to call you master because I hated my old master. If I call you master and when i go to sleep, i might curse or belittle you while i'm asleep. I don't want to call you Jie Jie(older sister) because I don't want to disrespect you since you're my master. Gu Gu is much more respectul" and that's how the book stated.
Last edited by crazylife123 on Jan 14th, '06, 19:20, edited 1 time in total.

WroW
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by WroW » Jan 14th, '06, 19:16

calla9 wrote:In my opinion, this girl is way TOO young to be the main character. Originally, the lady main character is 18 yrs old and up. As for this actress, she looks under 15 yrs old. The novel said the lady main character is older than the male main charactor, however, they choice the wrong actress. I saw her acting from Chinese Paladin, her acting make her looks pure, innocent and dumb, which is suitable for the female main character of Return of Condor Hero. However, if they want her to act as this character, they should wait 5 yrs when she grow older to film this. Cause, they messed up the whole point of SHE WAS SUPPOSED TO BE OLDER THAN THE MALE CHARACTER. Remember, SHE'S THE ONE WHO FOUND HIM ON HER 18TH BDAY WHEN HE WAS ONLY 6 YEARS OLD. She raised him up and he calls her auntie.

Well I think LYF will look the same even if she is 25...asian girls often do look younger than they are. And since she lost some weight she looks a little more mature in my opinion.

crazylife123
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by crazylife123 » Jan 14th, '06, 19:21

WroW wrote:

Well I think LYF will look the same even if she is 25...asian girls often do look younger than they are. And since she lost some weight she looks a little more mature in my opinion.
WroW...in your opinion ...how did she look in the clips?

WroW
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by WroW » Jan 14th, '06, 19:32

crazylife123 wrote:
WroW wrote:

My official answer would be " she looked good " ....my inofficial answer would be "grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr"

No but she really also looked unexpecatly good in the fighting scenes...because I have always seen her in innocent roles,I couldnt imagine her fighting. But she looked good in the fighting scenes. Especially in one of the last videos you uploaded...it was from some news scene. It really started my anticipation again and I liked the score in that short scene...I hope its the official one :-)

crazylife123
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by crazylife123 » Jan 14th, '06, 21:25

WroW wrote:
crazylife123 wrote:
WroW wrote:
My official answer would be " she looked good " ....my inofficial answer would be "grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr"

No but she really also looked unexpecatly good in the fighting scenes...because I have always seen her in innocent roles,I couldnt imagine her fighting. But she looked good in the fighting scenes. Especially in one of the last videos you uploaded...it was from some news scene. It really started my anticipation again and I liked the score in that short scene...I hope its the official one :-)
yup, the score should be good in the series.

calla9

Post by calla9 » Jan 15th, '06, 07:20

hmm.. looks like we have to check out this video to find out.

Rice

Post by Rice » Jan 15th, '06, 07:31

I think the main actress should get some meat. She looks so tiny and skinny even with these multi- layered ancient clothes and her baby face makes it worse.

Engelchen18
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Engelchen18 » Jan 15th, '06, 11:20

I'm looking forward to Return of the Condor hero.^^

The Demi-Gods and Semi-Devils and Return of the condor hero ist the same or?

WroW
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by WroW » Jan 15th, '06, 13:34

Engelchen18 wrote:I'm looking forward to Return of the Condor hero.^^

The Demi-Gods and Semi-Devils and Return of the condor hero ist the same or?
No its not Demi Gods .... is Tian Long Ba Bu which is a different series but from the same writer.

@calla9
I dont know if you have seen the actress before. But she had more meat in her last series and that made her look very young. I think its great she lost weight not because she looks better thin but because she looks a little older.

~shinigami~

Post by ~shinigami~ » Jan 15th, '06, 15:18

I missed quite a few posts because the auto reply notification thingy didn't work. :P

arch13255

Post by arch13255 » Jan 15th, '06, 23:45

Which country is the series airing? and do u know when the vcd will be out ?

~shinigami~

Post by ~shinigami~ » Jan 16th, '06, 00:50

Sorry guys, I know this is a little off topic but since you guys are into JinYong(sp?) stuff.

In preperation for ROCH '06, I've been downloading LOCH '03 and HSDS '03(I think it's '03) but I'm having trouble finding TLBB.

Can anyone direct me to where I can get TLBB?

Calcifer
AiRen
AiRen

Post by Calcifer » Jan 16th, '06, 06:14

Return of the Condor Heroes is the 2nd of what can be considered the trilogy consisting of She Diao Ying Xiong Zhuan/Legend of the Condor(-shooting) Heroes, Shen Diao Xia Lv/Return of the Condor Heroes and Yi Tian Tu Long Ji/Heaven Sword, Dragon Saber. Tian Long Ba Bu/Demi-gods is a totally different story.

shinigami, TLBB is here but looks like there aren't many seeds. I know it's at btchina for sure.

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Jan 16th, '06, 06:16

Jem also has TLBB, its under the name of Chronicles of Heavenly Dragon http://jem.d-addicts.com/

TLBB occured before the time of the Condor Trilogy and has some character and martial art relationship with the Trilogy.

~shinigami~

Post by ~shinigami~ » Jan 16th, '06, 09:05

Ruroshin wrote:Jem also has TLBB, its under the name of Chronicles of Heavenly Dragon http://jem.d-addicts.com/

TLBB occured before the time of the Condor Trilogy and has some character and martial art relationship with the Trilogy.
I saw Chronicles of Heavenly Dragon in JEM's clubbox but I looked at the chinese characters and saw the character 八 and thought I was wrong because TLBB doesn't have the word "Person" in it.

Thanks for the information Ruroshin, I can't wait to watch it. :-)

Patpat

Post by Patpat » Jan 16th, '06, 09:32

to shinigami, isnt that a character for 8? the word for person is different...its in the word Mercy.

~shinigami~

Post by ~shinigami~ » Jan 16th, '06, 09:47

Patpat wrote:to shinigami, isnt that a character for 8? the word for person is different...its in the word Mercy.
Oh crap, I guess my chinese writing is very rusty and I mean VERY RUSTY. I learnt chinese when I was little and I really hated the teachers so I tend to forget a lot of things.

How embarrasing for me to get them mixed up. :doh:

Patpat

Post by Patpat » Jan 16th, '06, 16:52

lol iits all good, i used to take chinese too, but now i dont even know enough of it to save my life. >_<

~shinigami~

Post by ~shinigami~ » Jan 17th, '06, 07:27

Patpat wrote:lol iits all good, i used to take chinese too, but now i dont even know enough of it to save my life. >_<
We're in the same boat. :-)

I wish I could learn chinese again though, it'd make watching dramas so much easier.

of _the_fire_roots

Post by of _the_fire_roots » Jan 17th, '06, 23:16

~shinigami~ wrote:
Patpat wrote:lol iits all good, i used to take chinese too, but now i dont even know enough of it to save my life. >_<
We're in the same boat. :-)

I wish I could learn chinese again though, it'd make watching dramas so much easier.
i agree, reading eng subs isnt really good as if you can just watch and understand :roll

does anyone know the release date for ROCH 2006? i know its in the mid of Feb., anyone know exactly when?

Grapz

Post by Grapz » Jan 18th, '06, 00:47

Lol 2 or 3 years ago, i only knew the basics in chinese. I could only listen, couldnt' write or read. but now that i've been watchin dramas in chinese for like 2-3 years, i learnt so much and can understand it fluently D: , no need for subs ^^

~shinigami~

Post by ~shinigami~ » Jan 18th, '06, 07:32

Grapz wrote:Lol 2 or 3 years ago, i only knew the basics in chinese. I could only listen, couldnt' write or read. but now that i've been watchin dramas in chinese for like 2-3 years, i learnt so much and can understand it fluently D: , no need for subs ^^
Wow, that's pretty good. Did you watch the dramas all raw?

Grapz

Post by Grapz » Jan 18th, '06, 14:29

ya lol , no subs, but i usually ask sum1 what it means.

~shinigami~

Post by ~shinigami~ » Jan 19th, '06, 02:53

I grew up watching chinese dramas dubbed in vietnamese because those were the only things available in my area. So now I can speak and understand vietnamese fluently even though I ain't viet.

I wish I watched the dramas in chinese, maybe now I would've been fluent in chinese already. :-(

of _the_fire_roots

Post by of _the_fire_roots » Jan 19th, '06, 05:50

~shinigami~ wrote:I grew up watching chinese dramas dubbed in vietnamese because those were the only things available in my area. So now I can speak and understand vietnamese fluently even though I ain't viet.

I wish I watched the dramas in chinese, maybe now I would've been fluent in chinese already. :-(
you shouldnt be sad. viet is a great language to know. there are plenty of series that are dubbed in viet. i watch them all the time. i know some great links for downloading if you are interested :whistling:

btw, anyone know the exact release date for ROCH? i know its in mid feb. but anyone know the exact date? thanks

persimon_pg

Post by persimon_pg » Jan 19th, '06, 06:38

Hi Shinigami,
I congratulate you learning to understand another language when you're not Vietnamese yourself. It's not too late to learn the mandarin language. You can do the same thing like I do, i.e. keeping watching and listening to the mandarin dialogues. Personally, I couldn't read or write the chinese characters but I manage to understand most spoken mandarin/cantonese via watching various TVB, Taiwanese, Chinese and Singaporean Tv series. Asian languages when they adopt the use of chinese characters, share common meaning except for the different tone/sound used. I prefer to watch Korean series in its original format with English subtitles and manage to pick up some words along the way. The cantonese word "Kam Tone" meaning " touched emotionally" is used in the same tone and context in the Korean language! I think the word 'king" in mandarin is similar to Vietnemese. I know that it can't be done overnight but patience will get you along like I do. Hope this may encourage you to try and learn mandarin.

~shinigami~

Post by ~shinigami~ » Jan 19th, '06, 11:16

Thanks guys, I know that understanding vietnamese is a plus. I'm not sad that I can understand viet, I just wish I knew mandarin too.

I am going to keep watching dramas in the hopes of one day understanding mandarin and cantonese without subtitles. :-)

exal

Post by exal » Jan 19th, '06, 16:36

Umm just by watching chinese dramas without subs won't help you understand mandarin

xuantocdo

Post by xuantocdo » Jan 19th, '06, 17:53

exal wrote:Umm just by watching chinese dramas without subs won't help you understand mandarin
....yes, but it does help you to learn the language easier if you have somebody to translate for u :-)

WroW
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by WroW » Jan 19th, '06, 17:57

Wouldnt that be great...learning a language from watching dramas. But it definetly doesnt work...well it does a little and it does if you can speak a language which is similar.If it did I would be fluent in Korean,Japanese and Chinese by now. But watching without subs helps also because when you watch with subs you dont really listen to the details.
Thats why I love all the subbers so much :wub: :-)

exal

Post by exal » Jan 19th, '06, 21:07

If you want to learn a language go to the country of the language of your choice to learn, or just where you live.

For me, I learned Japanese by going abroad to study the language, where Japanese is always spoken

of _the_fire_roots

Post by of _the_fire_roots » Jan 19th, '06, 23:38

exal wrote:If you want to learn a language go to the country of the language of your choice to learn, or just where you live.

For me, I learned Japanese by going abroad to study the language, where Japanese is always spoken
that is a good way to learn the language but many ppl are still in school, and we need $$$.
if those arent a problem then i would definitely go to china, korea, and japan and study all of it!!
the more languages you know the better, that way you can watch any drama without subs :cheers:

~shinigami~

Post by ~shinigami~ » Jan 20th, '06, 03:34

exal wrote:Umm just by watching chinese dramas without subs won't help you understand mandarin
I know this is mostly true but...

I learnt vietnamese by watching chinese dramas dubbed in vietnamese, of course that was when I was little and I guess you learn things easier when you're little.

And I know some vietnamese people who learnt chinese after watching chinese dramas.

When I get the time and money, I will go abroad but for now I'm stuck because I'm in my final two years at high school which will determine if I can enter the university course that I desire.

For now, I'm just going to go watch some dramas now.

persimon_pg

Post by persimon_pg » Jan 20th, '06, 11:33

I know it's a "plus" to be able to afford to go to foreign countries to learn their languages. I only need to understand enough to watch my tv series. In fact, I learn to understand the Cantonese dialect in Australia after I left Malaysia and my hometown is a predominantly a Hokkien speaking place. Also being a Hokkien myself, I used to not understand a word of Cantonese. But after a few months of watching TVB series, I obtained a vocabulary of words. Whatever word I didn't understand then, my friend who is from Hong Kong and sharing the hiring cost, helped me out. Watching HGZZ I, II & III help me to learn the chinese "four words phrases" and also make me want to learn to read and write chinese one day.

stormingblizzard

Post by stormingblizzard » Jan 21st, '06, 03:05

Will the DVD's be released in Feb., or will they start airing it?

crazylife123
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by crazylife123 » Jan 22nd, '06, 08:14

AznEnigma69

Post by AznEnigma69 » Jan 22nd, '06, 11:46

thankz for the picture crazylife123, very nive pic.

~shinigami~

Post by ~shinigami~ » Jan 22nd, '06, 14:08

I've been waiting for a picture update by crazylife. Always a nice update. :thumright: