What languages do you know?

The real life drama forum. Discuss your relationships or get to know the other members here.

What languages do you know proficiently?

Chinese
20%
Japanese
15%
Korean
3%
Korean
3%
Chinese & Japanese
5%
Chinese & Korean
1%
Japanese & Korean
2%
All of Above
2%
None of Above (must rely on subtitles)
50%

Total votes: 935

harliey_nick

Post by harliey_nick » Dec 27th, '05, 10:43

wow lots of ppl know lots of languages :thumleft: :salut: hehe...my 1st language is malay n the second one is naturally english....i also understand french...je parle francais un peu :P mais un peu....je comprende francais un peu....haha....

:wub:

NoWoRRieS

Post by NoWoRRieS » Dec 27th, '05, 19:47

My first language is Chao Zhou (also Chiu Chao or Teo Chew). I started learning English in pre-school. Then some time in elementary school, I started learning Cantonese, but that didn't go far. I can understand little to none now. Afterwards, I started learning Mandarin at the insistence of my parents, which I have become truly grateful for. I am a Chinese language and literature major now. :D I also took 3 years of Spanish in high school, but all I got out of that was "no se". Quite pitiful, but that's my bit.

sweetxvanilla

Post by sweetxvanilla » Jan 8th, '06, 04:52

erm i know japanese and english..that's it :(

auroragb

Post by auroragb » Jan 8th, '06, 04:59

NoWoRRieS wrote:My first language is Chao Zhou (also Chiu Chao or Teo Chew). I started learning English in pre-school. Then some time in elementary school, I started learning Cantonese, but that didn't go far. I can understand little to none now. Afterwards, I started learning Mandarin at the insistence of my parents, which I have become truly grateful for. I am a Chinese language and literature major now. :D I also took 3 years of Spanish in high school, but all I got out of that was "no se". Quite pitiful, but that's my bit.
Wow! Most young immigrants / ABC's tend to reject their native culture. Not only do you not reject it, you actually study it in school! :thumleft:
sweetxvanilla wrote:erm i know japanese and english..that's it :(
Nothing to feel bad about, knowing japanese makes you in high demand around here as many are j-culture fans around here

pwner4once

Post by pwner4once » Jan 9th, '06, 01:38

well i guess others gain the majority XD

NoWoRRieS

Post by NoWoRRieS » Jan 10th, '06, 09:03

auroragb wrote:
NoWoRRieS wrote:My first language is Chao Zhou (also Chiu Chao or Teo Chew). I started learning English in pre-school. Then some time in elementary school, I started learning Cantonese, but that didn't go far. I can understand little to none now. Afterwards, I started learning Mandarin at the insistence of my parents, which I have become truly grateful for. I am a Chinese language and literature major now. :D I also took 3 years of Spanish in high school, but all I got out of that was "no se". Quite pitiful, but that's my bit.
Wow! Most young immigrants / ABC's tend to reject their native culture. Not only do you not reject it, you actually study it in school! :thumleft:
I guess I'm just lucky my parents wouldn't let me.... I've met a lot of people who know little about their native culture. I can't say that it was a conscious decision though. I feel like it's more often than not a consequence of situation.

And sweetxvanilla, Japanese is a cool language, one I wish I understood! It's all good.

Sponton

Post by Sponton » Jan 10th, '06, 09:11

My first language is English, however, I also know a little bit of Spanish. Unfortunately I still must completely rely on subtitles.

love01

Post by love01 » Jan 20th, '06, 14:45

i speak tagalog, english, dutch and i know basics french and german... i really wanna learn mandarin and japanese...im starting to learn mandarin by watching dramas and listening to their music but it's not enough to fully learn the language :roll

christinachan

what language do you know?

Post by christinachan » Jan 20th, '06, 14:59

I can speak English,Malay and Mandarin quite fluently. I'm able to speak a couple of Chinese dialects like Cantonese, teochew/chiew chao, hokkien/fu jian(the one spoken by the Taiwanese)too....Trying to learn Korean now but it's a pretty tough language and you need to practice alot in order to be able to speak it properly.....I do hope that i can meet someone who is willing to teach and converse with me in Korean......any takers?!!! :P :D

Kadaj

Post by Kadaj » Jan 20th, '06, 15:34

Can speak russian(home language),english(school & university), japanese(~1.5y and continue to learn) and in next month start to learn korean :D

ademala

Post by ademala » Jan 23rd, '06, 22:31

I'm an Indonesian girl..
I speak Indonesian, English, French and Spanish..
trying to learn Mandarin since I have Chinese blood running through my vein.. but no one ever teach me!!..hiks..

Aprisea

Post by Aprisea » Jan 24th, '06, 00:25

Mi first language is Catalan, dialect of Barcelona,Spain :P
Spanish, English,
I understand italian, portuguese and a bit of german. I study french at school but I don't remember anything ^^UUUU
I started to study japanese but was very difficult for me, I'll try korean :P
Last edited by Aprisea on Jan 24th, '06, 00:37, edited 1 time in total.

shimy bimy

Post by shimy bimy » Jan 24th, '06, 00:29

i speak fluent arabic, english...little japanese and korean..

tennis-chan

Post by tennis-chan » Jan 29th, '06, 04:44

I know Chinese, English, Japanese and Malayalam (An Indian language) fluently.

I understand Hindi and Tamil as well.

Its quite obvious I'm Indian then :P

And I live in Singapore~

chickchat

Post by chickchat » Jan 29th, '06, 08:05

:scratchchin: .......I can speak and understand chinese fluently but can't read or write much. bummer!*^@#

bangkok_devious

Post by bangkok_devious » Jan 29th, '06, 17:20

The only language I'm proficient in is English :lol------though I'm learning Thai right now.
Stuff on my language list
1. Thai
2. Japanese
3. Chinese (Mandarin maybe...)

kapompom

Post by kapompom » Jan 30th, '06, 07:18

I'm a Malay living @ Malaysia and naturally I'm fluent in Malay & English. Understand & can speak some Cantonese & Mandarin but not that good tho ^^ know some chinese characters but not good at writing them. Japanese - intermediate level, can speak some, read some, and certainly not good at writing kanji too :lol.

i3lu3fun

Post by i3lu3fun » Jan 30th, '06, 07:28

i only know chinese :-( , really wanna learn korean & japanese language in the future

canon05

Post by canon05 » Jan 30th, '06, 07:58

iceberri wrote:My first language was Cantonese so I can speak and understand, but I can't read & write unfortunately. >_< I know a bunch of phrases in Japanese that are common in anime, and I want to learn Korean... badly but pronouncing it is just so hard!! @_@

I found a site that teaches you korean.. http://korean.sogang.ac.kr/index.html but still, their pronunciation is much too fast for me.
:blink Really?! I always thought Cantonese speakers could learn Korean faster than anyone else b/c Korean sounds like Cantonese. ^_^;

I only know some Chinese lines and English.

Sousday

Post by Sousday » Jan 31st, '06, 00:24

I can speak fluently in khmer but i can't read or write a word XD
The only language i can understand well is french.
I'm still learning English...(i understand when i read but it's hard for me to write or speak in english (almost impossible to speak ^^;))
I started japanese a year ago, but i can't understand anything yet...

P0KEY
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by P0KEY » Jan 31st, '06, 01:10

i know mandarin fluently, it was my first language ^^ i also know english fluently, because the US is where i grew up :) but i do want to learn korean && japanese.

Yoroshiku

Post by Yoroshiku » Feb 2nd, '06, 07:16

Mandarin, Taiwanese, English, Japanese (studying)

K33

Post by K33 » Feb 2nd, '06, 07:20

I speak vietnamese and learned mandarin when i was in college, even studied in china.

Usagi_Mitsukino

Post by Usagi_Mitsukino » Feb 3rd, '06, 18:56

Well my 1st language is Spanish, then English, and next week I start my Jap lessesons ^^ when i dominate japanese, i want to learn Chinese and then Korean ;)

tigrbalm

Post by tigrbalm » Feb 7th, '06, 02:41

English
Urdu
Hindi
Punjabi
French

Japanese (intermediate)

Korean (beginner)

chunu

Post by chunu » Feb 7th, '06, 02:50

I don't know any of the above but love to learn
anyone want to teach for a rose? :wub:

Deleted User 44190

Post by Deleted User 44190 » Feb 7th, '06, 03:35

I am Chew Chow (Chao Zhou Ren).
I speak some Mandarin, Write some and definitely understand more than anything of the two.
I can speak write and read English of course.
I can understand the basic language of Khmer, it's because my parents were raised in Cambodia and they speak to each other oftenly in that language since I was born. My Grandparents are from China.
So literally, I'm Chinese.
I used to speak Haka, but I forgot that language years ago. Only can pick out a few words.

dan-san

Post by dan-san » Feb 7th, '06, 17:11

I only know Bahasa n English :thumright: ..always rely on english subs XD

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Feb 7th, '06, 17:15

I can read English and most dialects of Engrish. I can translate Engrish to English fluently. I studied Engrish for three years.

According to gingertoys, who is a connoisseur of these things, my grammar is excellent.

I would like to learn Pinoy IRC, but I don't know if my keyboard settings support it.

Sev

Post by Sev » Feb 8th, '06, 08:26

I speak and read Korean fluently, although when I write I have the spelling of a 2nd grader.

Japanese is almost identical to Korean grammatically, and alot of words and popular phrases I learned by way of anime. I can watch Japanese shows and understand about 40% of it without subtitles.

So when I hear...

"Kono otoko ga Kusanagi ka?"

in Korean it's...

"Ee namja ka Kusanagi ya?"

Exactly same structure. Different words.

redsea

Post by redsea » Feb 8th, '06, 16:22

Well I speak Vietnamese (mother tongue), fluently English, French (let say normal conversation :P ), a little bit of Dutch (enough for me to understand quite ok what people saying and some normal conversation)....Well, that's it and I definitely need substitle for watching dramas here :lol

mochimuchi

Post by mochimuchi » Feb 10th, '06, 03:06

right now i'm still learning japanese language,
wanna get fluently in speaking and reading hehe

asian_grl

Post by asian_grl » Feb 14th, '06, 06:59

man.. i am so friggin jealous of the ppl that r fluent in those 3 languages. I am fluent in Vietnamese n English only. Actually, i help teach Viet.. i refuse to teach by myself unless they force me..

wai_muna

Post by wai_muna » Feb 14th, '06, 09:25

i only speak and understand malay and english only...

others...i rely 100% on subtitles..:D

dayzi

Post by dayzi » Feb 14th, '06, 09:47

hmm..for me..I understand a little korean and japanese and fluent in malay,english,indonesian

p/s:- but still rely on sub's..hahahaha

alliemon

Post by alliemon » Feb 14th, '06, 19:14

English is my native language, but I can understand/read/write German fairly well, I've also taken 1½ years of French but I'm not so great at that, and I also have taken a semester of conversational Japanese. X3;;

AngelGurl6

Post by AngelGurl6 » Feb 16th, '06, 22:34

I know mandarin Chinese, Taiwanese, Latin, and English. I used to study spanish for like 2 years, but now I have forgotten it all. :-( Latin is a dead language so I guess that doesn't count. As for Taiwanese, I'm not proficient but I do understand it when someone is speaking it. Shesh, the beginning of the sentence makes it sound like I know a lot of language, but sadly I don't. :crazy:

DJ_Chopstix

Post by DJ_Chopstix » Feb 17th, '06, 17:03

i have to rely on subtitles...

i'm laos and part chinese..i speak laos and thai but i'm learning canto from my boifriend and mandarin from my uncle.

CuTiE 100%

Post by CuTiE 100% » Feb 17th, '06, 17:07

my first language is arabic
second english
and starting french and japanese

AznAngelofDeath

Post by AznAngelofDeath » Feb 17th, '06, 17:14

i know a little madarin and a little cantonese. can someone here teach me? i would like to learn. anybody here want to be my friend? lol it sounds stupid but it is true.

Paige

Post by Paige » Feb 17th, '06, 21:49

Usagi_Mitsukino wrote:Well my 1st language is Spanish, then English, and next week I start my Jap lessesons ^^ when i dominate japanese, i want to learn Chinese and then Korean ;)
good luck with that!!!! Especially Chinese. I tried. It's too hard for me lol. But I'll keep trying! :)

Kembang

Post by Kembang » Feb 18th, '06, 10:11

I'm a native Dutch speaker..
I know English fluently..
I know German and French very well thanks to school =P..

I only know a bit Japanese
and a tiny bit Indonesian

whenn it comes to Chinese and Korean,I only know some words..

So yeah for all 3 the languages I really rely on English subs(or Dutch subs when there are any,and I would probably understand German and French subs aswell though I never tried it)

kreidi

Post by kreidi » Feb 21st, '06, 15:54

I speak english, french, german, spanish and italian and I'm learning japanese and would like to learn korean and arabic but I don't which one to begin with

Menacia

Post by Menacia » Feb 21st, '06, 15:57

japanese, german, english and i can read a lil chinese and lil french.
what i really wanna learn when i get some spare time (if i actually get it :X) is korean

*edit*

oh and i really know how to do this ---> :cussing: (j/k)

VyVy

Post by VyVy » Feb 21st, '06, 16:15

I can speak and write (fluently): French, English and Vietnamese

Meiyi

Post by Meiyi » Feb 21st, '06, 16:27

I can speak and write French, English, Italian and Japanese and I'm learning Chinese :-)

Hika.chan

Post by Hika.chan » Feb 21st, '06, 16:32

I can understand,speak and write German and English, and Frensh. In April I will start learning Latin and maybe an asien language. In addition to that I know some words in Polish and Czech.

dywen

Post by dywen » Feb 21st, '06, 16:37

hmm.. i would be lost and cant understand a thing if there is no sub :cry:

well some langauges i know are
cebuano/bisaya (my native lang)
ilongo
tagalog
mandarin (a bit but not so fluent been studying from kinder to highshool)
fukian (not that well but can understand)
english (fluently)

i would really like to learn how to speak and understand jap, korean and mandarin languages fluently :roll if only a device could be invented to make us learn differernt langs immediatly haha wishful thinking

Kity_Kira

Post by Kity_Kira » Feb 21st, '06, 16:56

I'm a native english speaker. I know Chinese (only cantonese), I can speak and listen mainly and pick up most of what people say since I talk chinese to relatives. I learn French at school, but my listening skills is far worse. I know alittle japanese, Im studying it. I wouldn't count German, since I totally forgot everything. Though I would love to learn Korean and Japanese the most! ^^

SyaoranX

Post by SyaoranX » Feb 23rd, '06, 03:44

i'm a native chinese speaker. i can also speak english, french and very limited Italian. I'm currently taking AP jap.

SunStar

Post by SunStar » Feb 23rd, '06, 10:54

so unfair....

however, i'm currently picking up words and phrases in Japanese and Chinese... so many in 10 years or so... i'll speak it fluently....LOL... that's how i got fluent at Thai...

Zeretual

Post by Zeretual » Feb 23rd, '06, 19:07

i know english vietnamese and french

pacman99

Post by pacman99 » Feb 26th, '06, 03:44

i understand several languages...all of which are useless when it comes to east-asian dramas haha. I pick up a few words here and there but...yea :( Must rely on subs. I'm hoping to learn some mandarin soon though, when I get all my pre-reqs over with in uni and have time to really devote on a language.

sayuri43

Post by sayuri43 » Feb 26th, '06, 08:59

sigh, I know none of the above -_-; sighhh, I'd really like to learn at least one of those languages though~

clarkyshop 562

Post by clarkyshop 562 » Feb 26th, '06, 12:21

well...i speak english and french fluently
then spanish italian and a little japanese korean chinese

Echo9

Post by Echo9 » Feb 27th, '06, 01:53

Wow, so this thread has been resurrected from a year of inactivity, huh?

No subject interests me as much as the study of languages, so this is a very interesting thread to me. Anyway, for me the list goes like this:

Norwegian: natively.
English: as good as native.
Japanese: while living in Japan one year (in Gifu), I learned quite a bit. My Japanese is, however, quite tainted by the Gifu dialect, something which really seems to confuse many Japanese.
German: to a certain extent.

In addition to these languages, I plan on learning Mandarin, Korean, Spanish, Italian and perhaps French. I'm also considering Arabic and Russian, but they strike me as quite dull languages, so I think I'll just skip them. I think I want to pick up some Thai too; a friend taught me something two years ago, but I've forgotten it already... "Hello" was sawadi or something?

Dorama that I want to watch immediately (currently Unfair and Byakuyakou) I get the RAWs for; when such is not the case, I tend to get them with English subs because I'm lazy. I really wish they were available with Japanese subs, though.

If anyone wants to learn Norwegian (I admit this is probably quite unlikely; after all, despite its elegance it's quite a useless language in terms of both literature and business) and can speak any of the languages I've expressed a wish to study further, it might be fun to teach each other. :)

Galan

Post by Galan » Feb 27th, '06, 02:38

No reason why anyone would not be interested in Norwegian, or at least no reason if they are one of those crazy people who enjoy learning for the sake of just learning!

As for myself, I only know English as my native language and German semi-fluently. Basically, I wouldn't die if you dropped me down in Germany. Need to work on that before I go there this summer.

I'm currently trying to learn Japanese, and am interested in learning Korean. In all practicality, I shall end up needing to know French, ancient Greek, Latin, Arabic, and perhaps Persian, Turkish, Hebrew, and Aramaic.

Stupid interest in the Near East for postgraduate work. :cussing:

Echo9

Post by Echo9 » Feb 27th, '06, 02:53

What are you studying, Galan? History of religion?

I'm still in high school, and in the midst of having to decide what I'm going to study come autumn. One option I'm considering taking a bachelor's degree majoring in Economics with a Japanese minor (strange combination, I know), getting the credit from the Japanese class at the same time as doing the economy studies (this would allow me to get a bachelor's degree in 2 years, master's in 4), or getting a bachelor's degree in languages at the U of Oslo, which would allow me to study Mandarin and hopefully other languages, with decent student exchange possibilities. Yikes! The deadline for application is the day after tomorrow; I should probably talk to a consultant. This isn't really the right thread in any case, but oh well... :)

tinny

Post by tinny » Feb 27th, '06, 02:58

I speak fluent English and Thai.

I worked in Korea for a year so my Korean ain't bad, but I still rely on subtitles.
My mandarin is so so...learning it from the wifey, I probably know enough to travel in China on my own.

I tried learning Japanese from Pimsleur, but it was so boring, so I gave that up :P Didn't seem like I was getting much from Pimsleur anyways. Of course it's just my opinion.

ICEBERRI, have you learned to read Korean? I think once you've got hangul down it's pretty easy to read and pronounce words. In fact there's a lot of similarities in Japanese and Korean pronunciations, so if you have no trouble pronouncing japanese words, you won't have much trouble with Korean words. Good luck. :)

skachild

Post by skachild » Feb 28th, '06, 13:58

im just want to know how to say this few words in korean:
1) good morning
2) good night
3) thank you
4) sorry
5) sad
6) stupid
7) angry
8} how are you
9) i love you :wub:
10) what!!
11) good bye
hope u guys can help me with this hehe... :roll
i only speak english, chinese and malay :salut:

Galan

Post by Galan » Mar 1st, '06, 00:05

Echo9 wrote:What are you studying, Galan? History of religion?
Nope, just history, with a minor or major in religion. Who knows. But I want to concentrate on the ancient Near East. Mmm, dusty part of the library here I come.

pe3kabo0

Post by pe3kabo0 » Mar 3rd, '06, 09:25

i know cantonese. and currently learning french and german at school and korean, mandarin and japanese self study so i rely heavily on subs

red_pucca

Post by red_pucca » Mar 3rd, '06, 10:28

my mother tounge is indonesian. i can pick up some japanese and korean words from dramas, but never chinese. gosh they're really difficult.
and my best friend right now is 'english'. so yeah i also rely heavily on substitles.

Mousie

Post by Mousie » Mar 4th, '06, 13:33

I picked Japanese Korean. but I wouldn't say A proficient.
I took Japanese for three years when I was in highschool. I've learned to read, write, and speak proper Japanese. (Proper meaning the pronounciation.)
Thought I can't read Kanji...>_>. I would say Im semi-fluent in Japanese :)

My mom is korean. But I would say that I am more accustomed to the culture than the language. I've only learned how to speak it, and not on a high level. I can only pick up words being said and then analyze what is being said -_-. I can't read or write Korean. The only time I start speaking Korean flawlessly is when I go to Korea <_<. Otherwise..living on Guam just breaks down my brain.

If you wants to get technical though :P I can write numbers, dates, and months in Korean, Chinese, and Japanese XD. heh :P

Azngurl_meiying2006

Post by Azngurl_meiying2006 » Mar 9th, '06, 05:33

CHinese,Vietnames,and last would be English. :lol :wub:

catherinele21

Post by catherinele21 » Mar 17th, '06, 14:32

I'm Australian and quite fluent in Vietnamese..so yeah, have to rely on subs hehe

Starlightkitty7

Post by Starlightkitty7 » Mar 17th, '06, 15:00

I know English. I'm learning Japanese and chienese. (mainly japanese).

Kumaxell
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Kumaxell » Mar 17th, '06, 18:19

I'm fluent in Mandarin and can comprehend Cantonese & Taiwanese without subs.
I'm hopeless with Japanese, therefore I rely entirely on subs.
I found Korean to be one of the easiest Asian language to learn (reading, writing, and listening). As I build up my vocabulary, the easier the language gets.

PopGilligan

Post by PopGilligan » Mar 17th, '06, 18:22

English is my native language, but I'm nearly fluent in Japanese, and have passable Norwegian.

Echo9

Post by Echo9 » Mar 17th, '06, 18:33

PopGilligan wrote:English is my native language, but I'm nearly fluent in Japanese, and have passable Norwegian.
Så kjekt! :D

So, I'm curious; why do you speak Norwegian?

PopGilligan

Post by PopGilligan » Mar 17th, '06, 18:49

Takk!

Well, long story short, my mom's best friend is Norwegian, I had an au pair, who was Norwegian, and I started to study it so I could speak to her daughters who are too young to learn English.

sylpha

Post by sylpha » Mar 20th, '06, 20:49

*lol* my mother tongue is polish....even though i understand most of it my grammar is absoletly horrible and i am unable to write (even though i can read a big deal of it)...we moved to germany when i was 3 years old and my parents wanted to improve their language skills fast so we spoke no polish at home...so my best known language is probably german...my english skills are pretty good i´d say...
i learned latin in school and i understand a bit of french....ohh and i am studying mandarin (major) and japanese (minor) at university....i think i can follow the main plot of the taiwanese dramas but the details...argh...(-->i explain my obsession with asian dramas by telling everybody i watch them to improve my language skills...ya know ^-^)...i had only one semester of japanese so i still suck at it :mrgreen:

martina_SMO

Post by martina_SMO » Mar 21st, '06, 04:01

Italian, English almost as a native (or that's what I like to believe XD ). I speak bad Japanese with a perfect pronounce :| I usually watch jdramas without subs, but there are always parts I don't get at all.
I could speak French if I practiced a little, but I have no interest in that. I can understand Spanish and Portuguese because they're so similar to Italian.
And I tried to study Korean but I hated it, I'm sure it was the teacher's fault :whistling:

PopGilligan

Post by PopGilligan » Mar 21st, '06, 04:05

martina_SMO wrote: And I tried to study Korean but I hated it, I'm sure it was the teacher's fault :whistling:
UGH. I hate that. At my old high school, we had an amazing Japanese teacher, and a terrible Spanish teacher. No one wanted to take Spanish because she just didn't care. She didn't like the language, and she didn't like the kids.

I never understood why she didn't just quit, or why she wasn't fired. It's not like Spanish is a rare language...they could have gotten a new teacher in seconds.

yummiekiwi

Post by yummiekiwi » Mar 21st, '06, 04:35

HMm I know English!! haha sad.. but this is my most proficient language.. next would be Vietnamese, a lil bit of Canto...I'm just starting to learn Mandarin so atleast now I won't get lost in Taiwan or China cuz if I do I can ask for directions! :lol I also know Spanish. I think that was 3 years that I wasted because my pronouncation sucks but I can read and write I just can't seem to roll my (rrRRRs).... I picked up Korean and Japanese by watching the dramas just not enough to get lost in the either country..:mrgreen: