HELP, MY LOVE IN KDRAMA IS DYING...

Anhyong haseyo. Post Korean related stuff here.
jtlangel

HELP, MY LOVE IN KDRAMA IS DYING...

Post by jtlangel » Dec 3rd, '05, 09:32

hmm i dunno i use to like kdrama really much but now it's all bleh...i watched eps 1-9 of My Name is Kim Sam Soon.. and i thought it was really good but turns out it's boring to me. I don't know why people gave such high ratings.

I have watched:
Love Letter
What Happened in Bali
Full House
Let's Go To School Sangdoo <-really good..
Ruler of Your Own World
Stairway To Heaven
Autumn's Tale
Delightful Girl Choon-hyang
Attic Cat
Beautiful Days
My Love Patzzi
Bright Girl <--forgot full title, has Jang Nara, Jang Hyuk
Sweet 18

REASON FOR LOST INTEREST:
always the same thing, so repetitive.... every time same old thing.
-car accident (korean ppl cant drive)
-someone has a fatal disease like usually cancer, etc.
-a rich handsome young guy falls for a poor girl
-usually has a love triangle, or love quadrangle

Anyways, someone recommend me something Really good or should i just move back to Jdrama..

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Dec 3rd, '05, 10:14

Try I'm sorry I Love you for something slightly different.

raspb3rry

Post by raspb3rry » Dec 3rd, '05, 10:21

Ruroshin wrote:Try I'm sorry I Love you for something slightly different.
That was good! The ending was a bit too fast for my though. Despite all the cliches in kdrama, I still love it.

Hey, try My Name is Kim Sam Soon!! Its something slightly different :).

ddrimike

Post by ddrimike » Dec 3rd, '05, 10:22

Try sum jdorama :) Densha Otoko is awesome!!!!

Jannah
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by Jannah » Dec 3rd, '05, 12:05

Ruroshin wrote:Try I'm sorry I Love you for something slightly different.
Yeah, ditto that! Try watching historical dramas too, like Dae Jang Geum (must watch!) & Damo. Out of the dramas I'm currently watching, I'd recommend Resurrection, Super Rookie & Miss Kim's Making 1 Billion Won Project.

CuTi

Post by CuTi » Dec 3rd, '05, 16:21

Maybe Happy Together? :D

jaycee05
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by jaycee05 » Dec 3rd, '05, 21:00

My love for korean drama is on a recessionary gap also :cry: I came to the habit of fast forwarding(used to be an immortal sin) but I found out it's a really handy trick for time conservation. I thought that I'll never get tired of 'em even if the plot is too overplayed, but I guess there is a limit for such things.

But looking at your list, it's still missing some of the good ones ( Dae Jang Geum, MiSa, all About Eve...) Try those, and when you finished them all, switch to jdramas...The jdramas this season are just so freakingly addictive! I cant get enough of them.
Hopefully a batch of good kdramas would come out next year.

Jecky

Post by Jecky » Dec 3rd, '05, 21:43

why don't u try a new one like A love to kill??? starring Bi(Rain) :wub: :wub: :wub:

mikkichan

Post by mikkichan » Dec 3rd, '05, 21:58

ddrimike wrote:Try sum jdorama :) Densha Otoko is awesome!!!!
Exactly! That's what happen to me LOL...I just switch to Jdrama. It's shorter and less boring. No offense or anything but I'm used to be a huge Kdrama addicted before but after awhile I just lost interest. My Name is KSS is very interesting in the beginning but it got bore later on T___T

Most of the new Kdramas are okish in my opinion...I'm not trying to be biased or anything but I miss those wonderful Kdrama too, such as Full House and Delightful Girl Choon-Hyang or Wonderful Life. They need to make more of those. Well I'm waiting patiently for Palace to come out..I read the manga and it's awesome. That's like the only Kdrama that I'm looking for.

For the mean time...go watch Jdrama especially Hana Yori Dango :lol

Jecky

Post by Jecky » Dec 3rd, '05, 22:09

mikkichan wrote: For the mean time...go watch Jdrama especially Hana Yori Dango :lol
^ true! u should just try Jdorama or cdrama if u really loss interest in kdrama. there are alot of cool jdoramas like what mikkichan said, HYD, and some other ones like, Densha Otoko, Nobuta wo Produce, Brother Beat, Kimi wa Petto,Gokusen 1 &2 and ect. and some tw/Cdramas, Devil Beside You, It started with a Kiss, Meteor Garden, and ect. Just look for those dramas and some other ones cuz they're really interesting :mrgreen:

Romance

Post by Romance » Dec 3rd, '05, 22:24

Kdramas are long and takes alot of time to watch, and they just dont seem exciting anymore, so yeah lately im kinda tired of them aswell. Therefore i go for japanese ones, not that long, crazy, intresting, funny

fairx

Post by fairx » Dec 3rd, '05, 22:26

I am a Jdorama fan, personally IMHO,

Jdorama packed twice the entertainment value in half the airtime compared to 16 hours long Kdrama.
parts of the excitement were watching how jdorama cope with love & live story without abandoning the their environment <-- their uniqe passion in every aspect of life.

Jdorama also excels in "binary oppositions" storytelling. Its something that lacks in almost every other drama (in the world.. prolly).

daalig

Post by daalig » Dec 4th, '05, 02:33

Ireland!

Watch that before you decide to stop.

I'm watching Oh! Pil-Seung, Bong Soon Young now. And I've never enjoyed and laughed while watching a drama so much!

Shorty

Post by Shorty » Dec 4th, '05, 02:48

You should maybe take a chance in watching A Love To Kill, a new drama that hasn't finished airing yet. It's different from those average car accident, cancer, love triangle type of deal. It's more on the serious end, but it's quite interesting and addictive as well. ;D

ladyfoxx

Post by ladyfoxx » Dec 4th, '05, 08:13

I'm actually starting to feel the same way. I've seen about all those dramas on your list and I'm currently watching A Love to kill and Phoenix.... they're not as good as I hoped. i did switch over to jdrama temporialy. I've watched Orange Days, which is REALLY good, so I recommend it. Trcik was weird to me and so was Densha Otoko.

You might need to take a temporary break from the dramas. Maybe not watching them for a while will get you back into the groove. I dunno, the themes are so repetitive that I think I may take a break myself. :scratch:

milleu87

Post by milleu87 » Dec 4th, '05, 08:25

yes i agree with above people that maybe you ought to switch to jdorama or twdrama for awhile. i mean if you start watching other type of drama that wouldn't be wrong. just wait along for some great kdrama to get out.meanwhile why don't you entertain yourself with some good drama? i'm watching kdrama:wedding and the delightful girl choon yang. jdorama:1 litre of tears,hana yori dango,nobuta wo produce,princess hiro and antique.

x_XJules
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by x_XJules » Dec 4th, '05, 08:45

i used to fight to the death that kdramas were just as good as jdoramas...

now, not so much. i gotta say, if they're getting old then it's time to switch to jdoramas.

p.s. sorry, i love you is a good kdrama!

aya

Post by aya » Dec 4th, '05, 09:02

One factor you guys forgot about K-dramas. The current ones that have become really popular over the past year are dating/marriage contracts (mostly or only to rich guys though). LOL. I just noticed that after watching Delightful Girl Choon-hyang... and I watched Full House and My Name Is Kim Sam-Soon prior to that. I'm not tired of it though... I still find it cute and entertaining. But I did get bored with depressing K-dramas... you know with the whole cancer or blind theme. I couldn't stand Stairway to Heaven after about episode 8.

I was wondering... I know a lot of people like Let's Go to School... but I'm really curious why? I watched the first few episodes of it when it was the KSOTM and it didn't really capture my interest. Did it just get really better after awhile? Am I really missing on something?

x_XJules
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by x_XJules » Dec 4th, '05, 10:11

aya wrote:I was wondering... I know a lot of people like Let's Go to School... but I'm really curious why? I watched the first few episodes of it when it was the KSOTM and it didn't really capture my interest. Did it just get really better after awhile? Am I really missing on something?
I'm watching it right now.. and i'm tihnking the samething as you are. meh, i keep watching it though because someone with good taste told me it was good. it is picking up a little (i'm at episode 8.. i think..).

babai

Post by babai » Dec 4th, '05, 11:58

Yeah, I've been feeling the same way about Korean dramas too. I used to be obsessed with them, but now the usual plots and formulas are getting really old. I've been watching a lot of Jdramas lately. Like some people have said, the recent ones have been really good. (e.g. Hana Yori Dango!) I like the fact that Jdramas are shorter and offer different kinds of storylines. One Korean drama I'm really liking right now though is A Love to Kill. It's pretty great and has the same feel as I'm Sorry I Love You - you should try this one too. I loved it!

Toritorisan

Post by Toritorisan » Dec 4th, '05, 12:12

I switch between Jdramas, kdramas, and Taiwan dramas all the time. For the past few months I've been more interested in Jdramas. The storylines seemed to have gotten really good this past season. But for the past week, I started watching Kdramas again. I'm enjoying A Love to Kill. It started a bit slow, but it's really good now. I finally got around to Only You, which was a lot better than I expected.

Hmm... I recommend watching kdramas that have way different storylines if you are looking for something new. Damo is good because it is a historical drama and it's short like a Jdrama. So you don't get that draggy feeling. If you really want something different, try Gumiho. I admit it's not the best Kdrama out there, but it is a definitely different type of love story!

Romance

Post by Romance » Dec 4th, '05, 14:19

aya wrote:One factor you guys forgot about K-dramas. The current ones that have become really popular over the past year are dating/marriage contracts (mostly or only to rich guys though). LOL. I just noticed that after watching Delightful Girl Choon-hyang... and I watched Full House and My Name Is Kim Sam-Soon prior to that. I'm not tired of it though... I still find it cute and entertaining. But I did get bored with depressing K-dramas... you know with the whole cancer or blind theme. I couldn't stand Stairway to Heaven after about episode 8.

I was wondering... I know a lot of people like Let's Go to School... but I'm really curious why? I watched the first few episodes of it when it was the KSOTM and it didn't really capture my interest. Did it just get really better after awhile? Am I really missing on something?
Sang doo is on the other hand one of my favourite dramas of all time, wonderful story, wonderful acting, wonderful personalites etc etc.And i love the school enviroment

Syuichi

Post by Syuichi » Dec 4th, '05, 23:15

You should watch Love Story in Harvard. You seem to have seen most the dramas Kim Rae Won is in. He did a really good job in it.

hinako442003
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by hinako442003 » Dec 4th, '05, 23:25

Syuichi wrote:You should watch Love Story in Harvard. You seem to have seen most the dramas Kim Rae Won is in. He did a really good job in it.
umm... that might just kill her love for kdramas all together :lol no offense

well, I agree with someone else who said to watch Hana Yori Dango in the meanwhile. The pace is faster, the series is shorter... I think it's cute.
Usually you just switch around cuz having too much of something gets tiring.

kapneemo

Post by kapneemo » Dec 4th, '05, 23:28

Rx for curing your waning interest in Kdrama= Dae Jang Geum (so good)

aya

Post by aya » Dec 4th, '05, 23:38

x_XJules wrote:
aya wrote:I was wondering... I know a lot of people like Let's Go to School... but I'm really curious why? I watched the first few episodes of it when it was the KSOTM and it didn't really capture my interest. Did it just get really better after awhile? Am I really missing on something?
I'm watching it right now.. and i'm tihnking the samething as you are. meh, i keep watching it though because someone with good taste told me it was good. it is picking up a little (i'm at episode 8.. i think..).
Hmm.. could you please PM me after you finish the series whether it's worth to watch or not? Thanks!

:-)

Corona

Post by Corona » Dec 4th, '05, 23:40

I have the feelling the latest batch of K-drama weren't as exciting as they used to be, but hey, naturally everyone watches the good series first..and the what's left is left: the mediocre ones. But seeing what the future will bring us in terms of K drama's I'm still excited! Mind you, there's not going to be a Full House/I'm sorry I love you/Kim sam soon/etc every season. Patience is a virtue

And if there's no series that appeal to you, do as Toritorisan does, switch between k/j/c drama's.

aya

Post by aya » Dec 4th, '05, 23:45

Corona wrote:I have the feelling the latest batch of K-drama weren't as exciting as they used to be, but hey, naturally everyone watches the good series first..and the what's left is left: the mediocre ones. But seeing what the future will bring us in terms of K drama's I'm still excited! Mind you, there's not going to be a Full House/I'm sorry I love you/Kim sam soon/etc every season. Patience is a virtue

And if there's no series that appeal to you, do as Toritorisan does, switch between k/j/c drama's.
You make a good point. Although it would be nice if there was! :thumright:

WroW
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by WroW » Dec 5th, '05, 02:10

I understand how you feel ,everytime I watch a few kdramas I really get tired of them even though I am the biggest fan of kdramas. Thats why I have to watch japanese or chinese dramas inbetween.
But from your list you have still so many great kdramas ahead of you and even though most kdramas are kinda stupid (stupid doesnt mean I dont like them or that they are bad) there are always dramas which are great even if there are just a few every year. This year Resurrection or Emperor of the Sea really set a new standard for kdrama exellence.

Jules

Post by Jules » Dec 5th, '05, 07:14

i guess kdrama is dying cuz.. theres tons of great shows.. but no one to translate...

translating is hard stuff.. i tried before with wrow.. lol! and i still feel bad to this day cuz i gave up too quickly and my translations are not the best.. as I only lived in korea thill 2nd grade.. and im US born.. hard to find translators willing to do it free and such.. Im a Junior in High School and School is my priority and get into college.. >.<;; 8 hours for 1 episode is... painful and that can be study time or so..

I think kdramas, they do 2 episodes a week.. (shows how dedicated actors are.. saw specials of drama after they are done and most ppl get 3-4 hours sleep, wow..) which is alot faster than usual Jdrama 1 epi a week... its fun if u see 2 episodes in a week by TV broadcasting also.. keeps u in and waiting for next week.. which is more fun than waiting for subs to comeout on yes asia and all episodes are released and the bit addiction makes you watch all at once, which makes it MORE addictive..

so biggest fault is.. there needs more translators... Jdramas, theres lots of ppl experienced from anime and such and its not as cramful to translate as Kdrama

not many koreans are into translating I guess.. lol..
I wish i had a TV rip sub thingie..
everyday, theres like 2-3 shows on TV at where I live in LA where theres subtitles.. and if I take all subs out.. wow thats alot of KDramas..
I watch Kdramas and im currently watching Marry a millionaire and SuhDongYo ( I really love historical dramas) and there are great historical dramas that will never reach D-Addicts, some recent ones like Lee Soon Shin and other dramas out there.. ( Lee Soon Shin is the best historical drama I have ever seen imo.. beats Emperor of the Sea and interesting because I love history)

Also korean game shows are fun but u need korean sense of humor lol! xD which cant be explained by translations.. :s

so all in all, translator / people who can like take Subs off of TV are needed.. I would translate if I had the script, where the Translator for K-TV in US probably has because they have hookups with the korean stations.. =/

Also most dramas you see in this site is dramas from the night time Dramas at 10-11, where there are tons of shows before that also.. but most shows here are the 10-11 ones because they are shorter.. some good dramas out in korea right now with high rating are 5 days a week dramas.. (which is pretty crazy.. 5 episodes a week.. wow) Those are pretty fun too.. but too korea life related.. mostly about family issues.. marriage issues.. unlike 2 guys like 1 girl or brain tumor stuff..

Romance

Post by Romance » Dec 5th, '05, 07:31

Jules wrote:i guess kdrama is dying cuz.. theres tons of great shows.. but no one to translate...

Actually i would state the opposite... one year back or something when there only were a few korean dramas translated that everyone watched and was crazy about, like im sorry i love you, lets go to school sang doo and what happened in bali. Now there are so many kdramas with english subtitles so people dont have the time to watch or get excited because there is so much of it :P Anyone feel the same? :whistling:
Last edited by Romance on Dec 5th, '05, 07:35, edited 2 times in total.

xLilVietDevilx

Post by xLilVietDevilx » Dec 5th, '05, 07:31

start watchin japanese dramas....... thats wat im doin LOL =/ i realized that all kdramas i watch have these in common:

- car accident
- some kinda weird ass disease or injury (cancer.... blindness.... amnesia....)
- love triangle
- **** ass parents who are rich
- some super **** or freaky girl who is always like "get awy from my man!"
- rich guy with a poor girl...
- they always try to give their loved ones away. (like if guy A and guy B like girl A, but girl A likes guy A, guy A will try to give girl A to guy B) haha >_>

techie
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by techie » Dec 5th, '05, 07:40

Eeeerhhh.. wasn't that describing Jdorama too :roll

:lol Well you could as said swap over to J for a while.

Jules

Post by Jules » Dec 5th, '05, 08:07

Romance wrote:
Jules wrote:i guess kdrama is dying cuz.. theres tons of great shows.. but no one to translate...

Actually i would state the opposite... one year back or something when there only were a few korean dramas translated that everyone watched and was crazy about, like im sorry i love you, lets go to school sang doo and what happened in bali. Now there are so many kdramas with english subtitles so people dont have the time to watch or get excited because there is so much of it :P Anyone feel the same? :whistling:
well as a person who watches all kinds of korean shows, I feel that theres not many

1 out of like 10 dramas gets released here I think.. some dont make it because its not fully translated..
and Jdramas is pretty much the same as Kdramas.. diff plot and ppl but pretty much the same.. lol. I watched some Jdramas.. almost the same stuff IMO.. just kdrama releases faster..
as I said there are lots of variety types of dramas out there, most never seen and never will be out that are good...

love_crisis

Post by love_crisis » Dec 5th, '05, 08:19

I think your reasons for lost interest in K-drama is true because I think it too. Nah...but I try to not watch K-drama as much as before. Of cause, firstly, I addict K-drama a lot. I watch mostly of K-drama and later I feel like you now. They're the same plot like you said. Nah...if you try 'A love to kill' that on air now, you'll see that this drama has a plot different from others. :D

Anyway, for me, every drama whatever K, J, TW or others are just the same plot. I choose to addict the drama by male-leading. :roll haha...

Romance

Post by Romance » Dec 5th, '05, 11:21

Jules wrote:
Romance wrote:

well as a person who watches all kinds of korean shows, I feel that theres not many

1 out of like 10 dramas gets released here I think.. some dont make it because its not fully translated..
and Jdramas is pretty much the same as Kdramas.. diff plot and ppl but pretty much the same.. lol. I watched some Jdramas.. almost the same stuff IMO.. just kdrama releases faster..
as I said there are lots of variety types of dramas out there, most never seen and never will be out that are good...
Actually, i think every big korean drama today is being subbed or is going to, and for jdramas released here, all dramas for every season is uploaded and most are subbed aswell, atleast in recent times ;/

WroW
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by WroW » Dec 5th, '05, 13:52

I agree most korean dramas are being subbed ... there are just a few dramas that fall through. And those might be picked up later by kbfd and get released a few months later. A year back only highlight dramas were getting translated.
Rights now airing in korea and being subbed (and I just mean the nighttime dramas cause the daytime dramas might get high ratings but they dont have great production value).
Love To Kill --- Check
Marry a Millionare ---- Check
Sweet Spy ---- Check
Well this are the major dramas running right now and the newest ones and all are being subbed. And there are already subbing groups for future dramas like goong :-)

@love_crisis
I guess most of us do that sometimes (well for me not the male leading but the female :D ) but just doing that you miss a lot of great dramas which might have some similar storylines but which also are unique.

timbits

Post by timbits » Dec 6th, '05, 13:54

i just started watching kdramas again and im currently watching "a love to kill " and "bean Chaff". So far so good. I watched alot of funny anime's to keep me entertained. For me, a drama has to be either exciting like "misa" or hella funny (or atleast try to be) like "full house" . Like most people are saying , take a break and surely the first episode of a kdrama u download will restart your love for kdrama's/

Scyth3r

Post by Scyth3r » Dec 7th, '05, 05:27

Take a break from k-drama and watch some j-drama. Usually they are much shorter, happier, and simpler (in a good way). I just can't help myself grinning like an idiot after some episodes because they are so happy go lucky silly.

After a while though you're going to miss that deep heartfelt sadness that you get watching kdrama. Those intense emotions that gets built up more and more over each agonizingly slow episode. =)

lt23

Post by lt23 » Dec 7th, '05, 10:45

All this J-drama talk ... Interesting. I'm a K-drama purist who actually feels "at ease" with all the cliches and stuff. Tried watching a J-drama with my "J-obsessed friend" and I felt lost haha ... Something was missing ... But I want to reach out to my J-drama friend ... And I see that some K-drama people are down with the J ...

So, from a K-drama perspective, what's a good transitionary J-drama show? One that can ease the pain of losing the luv triangle, the sassiness, the same 5 songs played on rotate as an OST? What's THE J-drama to watch for K-dramers?

Or is my problem the fact that I don't know Japanese haha? :thumleft:

jtlangel

Post by jtlangel » Dec 7th, '05, 21:19

Thanks for the reply guys..

I'm currently watching
Hana Yori Dango.. -> omg i love it jdrama rocks still

Kdrama:
forgot to list
also watched
Let's Go To School Sangdoo -> i really love this one.. all time favorite. story is diff from ost kdramas
Dae Jang Geum ->really awesome

I already watched some jdrama before like:
Be Nice To People
Orange Days
To Heart
GTO
Kamisama Mou Soshi Dake
Waterboys
Seikei No Bijin
Strawberry on the Shortcake
Kimi Wa Petto
Good Luck

actually kdrama works the emotions. make u cry because they talk about something horrible like someone dying or car crash or feeling guilty for killing someone. always the poor vs. rich conflict. evil korean women trying to steal a guy. lol.

Jdrama gives u different perspective on everything. how to have confidence. protect someone important to you. believe in yourself, believe in others. how to get back up after falling. how to treat other people. how to give your best in whatever you do. others are plain funny..

I think i will watch Densha No Otoko... hehehe

Paniolagirl

Post by Paniolagirl » Dec 8th, '05, 00:09

I sure will not lose any sleep over you getting bored
of watching k-dramas.

Go ahead and stast watching j-doramas. In about 6
months you will be back here saying how bored you
are of watching j-doramas.

Maybe you should start watching some african american
dramas. Whole different culture. :lol

|sUiZiD|
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by |sUiZiD| » Dec 8th, '05, 09:34

sorry, I didnt read the whole thing through... so I dont know if someone already proposed that option to you :D

as for me, I sometimes get bored of dramas as well, it is not that they are acctually boring it thats I have been doing nothing for the whole time as watching dramas..... As for me I am taking a break from time to time, this means I am not watching any drama at all, (but loading them like crazy :D)

So give you some time to relax do something else and then watch a drama again, and you will see you will enjoy it again :D

JoSungMo

Post by JoSungMo » Dec 9th, '05, 05:35

All the good Kdrama are not listed in d-addicts .. oh wait .. there is one in here .. Dae Jang geum aka a jewel in a palace.

All good Kdrama is exceptionally long .. least 50 eps to abit over 100.
:P

timbits

Post by timbits » Dec 9th, '05, 06:53

jtlangel wrote:Thanks for the reply guys..

I think i will watch Densha No Otoko... hehehe
You wont regret it. funniest jdrama of the year :D

Xi@h
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Xi@h » Dec 9th, '05, 07:14

I believe JDrama are more lively than KDrama, yet I have only one Kdrama to my list which is Bulsae and I'm currently downloading My Lovely Sam-Soon and is looking forward for Country Princess.

chomania1986

Post by chomania1986 » Dec 11th, '05, 01:57

The problem with most kdramas is stagnation. There is no real character/plot development.
As many of you have already mentioned kdramas have mostly the same motifs and themes (which is not that bad and the problem). The problem is that WITHIN the drama there's too many repetitions and, as I mentioned earlier, therefore no real development which causes the drama to get draggy.
So far I have watched only Autum's tale, Full house and My name is KIm SAm soon.
But after reading reviews and watching these 3 dramas I can say that most of the kdramas start really good and end horribly (like Autum's tale). The development of the plot and the characters stops so often as the episodes go on that at some points they are even being thrown back. Thus, many episodes are so senseless and unnecessary that it would've been better to leave them out. As in Autum's Tale you could cut more than half of the 16 Ep. and in Full House like 3-4 Ep. Only in MNIKSS you could feel that the plot is moving forward, that the characters develop (even though there were some holes in the plot). Especially in Full House I was disappointed because of the last 3-4 Episodes (as in Autum's Tale I lost all hope after the characters had grown up). It started so good and it was hilarious, but the overuse of fighting and moving out/moving back in or "ajaaja-fighting" was a pain in the ass. I also had wished for a deeper examination of Lee Young-Jae's dead sister or his bad relationship with his father. But as it turned out that was just to fill time. So bottom line is...it was a superficial drama with no deeper meaning.
OK I see I have written too much again.
As for me, after watching Autum's Tale and Full House I'm kinda disappointed. The korean filminudstry (as in drama) is not there yet.....(or maybe it's the viewers who like that crap). I'm now going to watch MISA and have big expactations. After that I wanted to watch a good romantic comedy like MNIKSS, but still haven't havent found anything. What I'm definitely not gonna watch in the remaining time of my life is some cheesy crap like "autum's tale". Still have a headache because of that drama....even though it has been months since I've watched the last episode..

chomania1986

Post by chomania1986 » Dec 11th, '05, 02:06

I mean, at first you see Eun-Suh's Mom crying. In the next scene it's her other mom. In the Scene thereafter it's Eun-Suh herself. Then of course it is Joon-Suhs fiance who cries. After that it's Joon-Suh crying over Eun-Suh. Then after Joon-Suh it's Won Bin drinking alcohol and wallowing in self-pity.
And of course during all of those whining, self-pity scenes they play the cheesiest songs in the world...the main theme and that annoying guitar song, that is.

nlayhua

Post by nlayhua » Dec 15th, '05, 14:22

i used to like k-drama but i lost interest now. I gave up half way watching 'a love to kill' because i found myself yawning while watching. I'm switching to hongkong drama now more fast-pace. Hongkong drama has more themes like uniform group, fireman, policeman, detective, doctors, nurses, pilots, undercovers etc... Yesh i'm addicted to hongkong dramas now. :D

mmai

Post by mmai » Jan 3rd, '06, 20:37

i agree!!!!....i used to like kdrama but it's so boring now...the heros don't get to be together!!!!....they just die!!!...and what's up with all the evil step sisters!!!....they need a new plot or something different!!...i've never watched jdrama....so any recomendations????....i love cdramas though!!!!....like meteor garden and mars!!!!....but i can't wait for goong to be translated in english and for sale!!!....i love it!!!!(the manga)...it's the best!!!

evildevil

Post by evildevil » Jan 4th, '06, 02:37

I notice now I can't sit still for hours to watch Korean drama like I did before. I dont know if its because there isn't any good K-drama nowadays or because I have been watching TVB series, which are short and straight to the point. I still like the story/plot of K-drama. It is just a lil slow. K-drama shows a lot of scene where characters just sit or walk around and ponder about their pasts, their situations and stuffs. Its sort of boring and time consuming but I swear it all pays off at the end. I mean at the end of the story I feel like I'm the characters because I have been watching every scenes related to them ..like how they think, how they suffer.

melonyhappy

Post by melonyhappy » Jan 4th, '06, 06:35

i'm finding the same problem.. i mostly watch comedies cuz at least they're funny.. and i love watching happy endings.. i'm avoiding the tragedies at this point.

Super Rookie's kinda different, although there's that love rectangle, but I think it's mostly about Eric's character trying to succeed in a world who only cares about college education.There is a love component, but the focus is more on Eric's character, Kang Ho.

if you really want to try something different, like what others had said, just watch japanese shows, they're a lot shorter. i just find them a little too short. But i haven't watched one that was same (well except GTO and gokusen were similar)

flcia

Post by flcia » Jan 19th, '06, 13:57

ahha i juz found this thread n i hav 2 agree with all of u guyz...i am losing the kdrama wave as well
s true, too muich crying wont do u any good...
but after switchin 2 jdrama 4 awhile now...im startin 2 kinda miss kdrama (somehow)...i guess cuz jdrama has this block-by-block episodes, like each episode represents something happening, which can be a bit tiring after awhile...
plus i dont really like this season's jdrama...but lookin 4ward 2 byakuyakou...so lookin 4 good kdrama this seasonn any reco?

busyizzy

Post by busyizzy » Jan 19th, '06, 17:17

A main problem is that stuff on THIS board specifically is so overhyped! I mean, you have all those die-hard Full House and Song Hye Kyo and those type fans all over the place. Everywhere I look, there's someone screeching about how AMAZING Full House is - and honestly, it was a cute and amusing drama, but NOTHING totally amazing. The really good ones get glossed over because, why? Because of the fans. One of the really good ones that are subbed is Dae Jang Geum. That, I can say, is one amazing drama that I really appreciate. I think I saw the whole thing twice, once when it first came out, and once last year when I was in the vibe for good drama. A pretty good show similiar to Dae Jang Geum that's airing now that no one has even considered subbing is 'Seo Dong Yo.' Hwei Shin was also really really good. Of course, historical dramas are pretty hard ti translate, but the Korean dramas available here aren't the only ones that are available. Sure, the ones being subbed are the most 'popular' technically, but god, Lovers in Paris? What WAS that crap? Just because it has high ratings does not mean it's good. I mean, Brittney Spears was #1 in the country before, and most people I meet are really not that fond of her music. It's kindof the same thing.

Another pretty good show was Be Strong Geum Soon, and I don't think I saw subs for that anywhere. It doesn't involve too much love triangles/squares (there is a love triangle but it's not the focus). The story focuses on Geum Soon, and her hardships in her life, and how she overcomes them. There's a lot of stress on family and love and trust. It was very cute.

bugsie

Post by bugsie » Jan 19th, '06, 17:25

busyizzy wrote:A main problem is that stuff on THIS board specifically is so overhyped! I mean, you have all those die-hard Full House and Song Hye Kyo and those type fans all over the place. Everywhere I look, there's someone screeching about how AMAZING Full House is - and honestly, it was a cute and amusing drama, but NOTHING totally amazing. The really good ones get glossed over because, why? Because of the fans. One of the really good ones that are subbed is Dae Jang Geum. That, I can say, is one amazing drama that I really appreciate. I think I saw the whole thing twice, once when it first came out, and once last year when I was in the vibe for good drama. A pretty good show similiar to Dae Jang Geum that's airing now that no one has even considered subbing is 'Seo Dong Yo.' Hwei Shin was also really really good. Of course, historical dramas are pretty hard ti translate, but the Korean dramas available here aren't the only ones that are available. Sure, the ones being subbed are the most 'popular' technically, but god, Lovers in Paris? What WAS that crap? Just because it has high ratings does not mean it's good. I mean, Brittney Spears was #1 in the country before, and most people I meet are really not that fond of her music. It's kindof the same thing.

Another pretty good show was Be Strong Geum Soon, and I don't think I saw subs for that anywhere. It doesn't involve too much love triangles/squares (there is a love triangle but it's not the focus). The story focuses on Geum Soon, and her hardships in her life, and how she overcomes them. There's a lot of stress on family and love and trust. It was very cute.
different people have different taste in the dramas they watch, so you cannot expect that what's amazing in your eyes will be amazing to others and vice versa. and that is the good thing in THIS board, members are allowed to express their feelings on the drama they watch.

busyizzy

Post by busyizzy » Jan 19th, '06, 22:57

bugsie wrote:different people have different taste in the dramas they watch, so you cannot expect that what's amazing in your eyes will be amazing to others and vice versa. and that is the good thing in THIS board, members are allowed to express their feelings on the drama they watch.
Excuse me, you seem to be implying that I think people here should not be expressing their opinions, and that's NOT at ALL true. It's just simply what I think. My opinion: I think that people here on the board are so die-hard in love and crazy about the few drama they have seen, they stick fiercely by that. And is that a bad thing? No. I'm just saying, most people seem to treat series such as Full House like it's the most amazing thing ever, and /I/ think it's not. Since the starter of the thread's interest in K-drama seem to be waning, I was pointing said person in a different direction from all the 'mainstream' K-drama that is very popular at this board. Jeez. I never said people can't express their opinions; well, I'm sorry if my thoughts are negative, but those are MY opinions, and if you don't want to be a hypocrite, you'd do best tor respect that.
Last edited by busyizzy on Jan 20th, '06, 00:47, edited 1 time in total.

CraZyaH
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by CraZyaH » Jan 19th, '06, 23:03

flcia wrote:ahha i juz found this thread n i hav 2 agree with all of u guyz...i am losing the kdrama wave as well
s true, too muich crying wont do u any good...
but after switchin 2 jdrama 4 awhile now...im startin 2 kinda miss kdrama (somehow)...i guess cuz jdrama has this block-by-block episodes, like each episode represents something happening, which can be a bit tiring after awhile...
plus i dont really like this season's jdrama...but lookin 4ward 2 byakuyakou...so lookin 4 good kdrama this seasonn any reco?
I've watched some of the new kdramas and I'd recommend watching My Girl,12 eps so far and it's getting better..
This Love I want to Kill was a bit draggy by the end,but the beginning was alright..
and Goong just started,and it seems promising,tho it's not much like the manhwa

vis

Post by vis » Jan 19th, '06, 23:41

I know what you guys mean... all those repetitive stories and bad endings.... I was pretty close to totally give up on kdrama after watching Autumn Tale, Summer Scent and some other "crappy" stuff in a row, without encountering anything unique. But then I found a thread in korean entertainment section about recommended kdrama and decided to give some of the most mentioned drama titles there a try including: I'm Sorry I Love You, My Name is Kim Sam Soon and some others that I'm going to dl to watch... After watching those titles that I've decided to give I try, I'll probably head back to good old jdrama and cdrama/twdrama... at least for a while ^^;;;; I'll prolly come back to kdrama from time to time.... I mean different season brings different series ;P So no worries, if you are tired of kdrama know, just switch to something else until you feel like watching some kdrama again :)

I think I'm Sorry I Love You was great, although the ending did feel a bit rushed~~ It was very bittersweet. I liked Kim Sam Soon after having gotten over that first episode ^^;;;;; Dae Jeam Jang is simply awesome. Before you give up on kdrama I really suggest you watch that one, it's really a MUST! I heard the Emperor of the Sea (drama about ancient times) is also supposed to be good, but I haven't gotten around to watch it yet... ^^;;;;; Full House was the first drama I ever watched so it's very dear to me and I loved every episode :)

Goong/Palace seems to be promising ^^ I read the manwha so naturally I'm going to follow the drama as well ;P I'm going to try watch Green Rose and My Girl next and see if they are interesting~~ As for cdrama, I'm currently watching Chinese Paladin and I really recommend it ^^ Currently looking forward to Legond of Condor 2006 to get released! Best twdrama in my opinion is MARS! As for jdrama... there are too many good stuff out there ^^ Like Nobuta wo Produce, Ace wo Nerae, 1 litre of Tears, Dragon Sakura, Ima Ai ni Yukimasu, Densha Otoko, Gokusen, GTO, Pride and the list goes on :) Heh, I'm more into jdrama as you might have noticed ^^;;;;;

junebaby

Post by junebaby » Jan 20th, '06, 04:32

I have some suggestions coz I was in the same boat too..but since I watch just about everything (family, modern, historical, teen stuff..bla bla)....i've come across some pretty great ones that made me love k dramas even more!

Historical
Emperor of the Sea / Haesin - lots of information abt doing business in Korea and China which is fascinating, lots of fighting, 'gladiator' types, romance, family --- some of the fighting scenes are really hollywood-like- AMAZING! :lol
Fashion 70s - LOVE this!!! :lol

Whodunit/romance/mystery
RESURRECTION :roll
Green Rose :roll

Family types
On the Prairie
Conditions of Love
Yellow Handkerchief :roll
My sweetheart ,my darling
A second Proposal
be strong, Geum Soon

I can't stomach some Japanese dramas ..IMHO.. plain weird and slapstick silly..... but some are really good like Nobuta Wo Produce and Crying Out in the Center of the World

bloopy_babo

Post by bloopy_babo » Jan 20th, '06, 04:59

i am currently watching MY GIRL and GOONG. they are some light comedies.

bugsie

Post by bugsie » Jan 20th, '06, 05:32

busyizzy wrote: Excuse me, you seem to be implying that I think people here should not be expressing their opinions, and that's NOT at ALL true. It's just simply what I think. My opinion: I think that people here on the board are so die-hard in love and crazy about the few drama they have seen, they stick fiercely by that. And is that a bad thing? No. I'm just saying, most people seem to treat series such as Full House like it's the most amazing thing ever, and /I/ think it's not. Since the starter of the thread's interest in K-drama seem to be waning, I was pointing said person in a different direction from all the 'mainstream' K-drama that is very popular at this board. Jeez. I never said people can't express their opinions; well, I'm sorry if my thoughts are negative, but those are MY opinions, and if you don't want to be a hypocrite, you'd do best tor respect that.
i'm not the one who is implying something here, you are the one who thinks that there are a lot of overrated dramas being praised here is a problem. and who said you can't express your opinions i'm actually recognizing it since i'm replying to it. you should read your post before you react and telling me i'm a hypocrite.

JoSungMo

Post by JoSungMo » Jan 20th, '06, 10:58

I think Fan subbers are excited to see all the whining bunch!
Never a satisfied customers. :-)

chomania1986

Post by chomania1986 » Jan 21st, '06, 01:31

bugsie wrote:
busyizzy wrote: Excuse me, you seem to be implying that I think people here should not be expressing their opinions, and that's NOT at ALL true. It's just simply what I think. My opinion: I think that people here on the board are so die-hard in love and crazy about the few drama they have seen, they stick fiercely by that. And is that a bad thing? No. I'm just saying, most people seem to treat series such as Full House like it's the most amazing thing ever, and /I/ think it's not. Since the starter of the thread's interest in K-drama seem to be waning, I was pointing said person in a different direction from all the 'mainstream' K-drama that is very popular at this board. Jeez. I never said people can't express their opinions; well, I'm sorry if my thoughts are negative, but those are MY opinions, and if you don't want to be a hypocrite, you'd do best tor respect that.
i'm not the one who is implying something here, you are the one who thinks that there are a lot of overrated dramas being praised here is a problem. and who said you can't express your opinions i'm actually recognizing it since i'm replying to it. you should read your post before you react and telling me i'm a hypocrite.
Regardless of you being a hypocrite or not, I do think that he's got a point there.
Of course everybody should be able to express their opinion in this forum and say what he wants to say, but, in general, dramas that are recommended/hyped in this forum are usually not that good (in fact, many are way off from being good...."crappy" to put it bluntly). Many people lack objectivity and easily get sidetracked by superficial things, like outer appearance or one or two funny moments.
I think, that the average user is around 14/15 and female. Naive and easily getting enthusiastic. If you want to be recommended to a good drama (doesnt' always have to be deep), you're definitely in the wrong place. If you wanna watch a cheesy, repetitive, stereotypical, insipid drama with a crappy plot, then BINGO! Perfect place for you!

. . : : Snow Fall : : . .

Post by . . : : Snow Fall : : . . » Jan 21st, '06, 02:59

hmm wow, calm down everyone. we're not all the same, and we like one sort of drama or another...people shouldn't critisize what others think. just accept that everyone has their own opinion..

anywya, try these dramas..i've found them really good:

my sister in law is 19 and the sweet spy... :-)

bioshiva07

Post by bioshiva07 » Jan 23rd, '06, 23:34

although i only started watching korean dramas half a year ago, i've seen about 10 dramas so far. i must agree with many people on the thread, Dae Jang Geum is one drama that is superbly acted throughout its entire 70 episodes and does not drag as much.

now i can catch on a guess the plot of a lot of the dramas that i'm watching and have lost some interest. unfortunately, i've startted watching dramas for the leading men instead of the plot (shallow i know). but for every batch of disappointing dramas, there is always one that rekindles my love for Kdrama.

bugsie

Post by bugsie » Jan 24th, '06, 10:47

chomania1986 wrote: Regardless of you being a hypocrite or not, I do think that he's got a point there.
Of course everybody should be able to express their opinion in this forum and say what he wants to say, but, in general, dramas that are recommended/hyped in this forum are usually not that good (in fact, many are way off from being good...."crappy" to put it bluntly). Many people lack objectivity and easily get sidetracked by superficial things, like outer appearance or one or two funny moments.
I think, that the average user is around 14/15 and female. Naive and easily getting enthusiastic. If you want to be recommended to a good drama (doesnt' always have to be deep), you're definitely in the wrong place. If you wanna watch a cheesy, repetitive, stereotypical, insipid drama with a crappy plot, then BINGO! Perfect place for you!
different people have different reasons when choosing a certain drama to watch, some people wants to laugh, cry, some people wants a good plot, some just wants to see their favorite actors/actresses, and etc.. so we have different reasons in watching, the dramas that may not be good to you, they can be the best to others, and the dramas that are the best to you, others may not like it. so there is no need to emphasize that most of the overhyped dramas here are not that good. and i'm not saying that i don't agree with you, somehow i know how you feel, like the drama "my name is kim sam-soon" everybody is saying that it's good, but when i watched it, it's just a mediocre type of drama which i can watch while knitting (and no offense to other people who liked it, it's just my opinion since i'm not into that kind of dramas. :P)

laure_choc

Post by laure_choc » Jan 24th, '06, 11:10

chomania1986 wrote: I think, that the average user is around 14/15 and female. Naive and easily getting enthusiastic. If you want to be recommended to a good drama (doesnt' always have to be deep), you're definitely in the wrong place. If you wanna watch a cheesy, repetitive, stereotypical, insipid drama with a crappy plot, then BINGO! Perfect place for you!
Not all people here are this way at all. If you stay long enough and try different dramas, you may find someone who has similar tastes, and you can then follow his/her advices and not the majority ones.
That's what i find great in this board. I don't always agree with the mass choice either (in fact who always agree with it), but i read a lot of different opinions, and i usually can get a good pronostic about my liking or not of the dramas.

Going back to the main subject, I tend to watch more jdramas than kdramas, so no ending love , but every one and then i'll try one if i heard good things (in my ratings) about it. And so far it works well. Maybe the secret is not to watch too many kdramas at once

amrayu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by amrayu » Jan 24th, '06, 11:28

I think those that are bickering should just stick to the topic and help the poster with some recommendations. :-)
Keep the peace! :salut:

v1rgi3

Post by v1rgi3 » Jan 26th, '06, 02:48

chomania1986 wrote:
bugsie wrote:
busyizzy wrote: I think, that the average user is around 14/15 and female. Naive and easily getting enthusiastic. If you want to be recommended to a good drama (doesnt' always have to be deep), you're definitely in the wrong place. If you wanna watch a cheesy, repetitive, stereotypical, insipid drama with a crappy plot, then BINGO! Perfect place for you!
umm... well i guess i'm not an average user b/c i'm 20 tho i am female...

and to say that 14 and 15 year olds have no perspection to good and bad is a bit harsh... if they like the drama, then its a good drama to them...

just b/c their tastes differ from yours, you have no right to call them naive and "easily getting enthusiastic" geeze...

NEWAYS, BACK TO THE THREAD, hehehe... my interest was waning too, so i STOPPED and i started watching some jap dramas and taiwan dramas.. and eventually another korean drama caught my attention again " my girl" (its so funny)... i'm sorry to say that my last korean drama was " a love to kill" and it was just downright boring .... (tho rain looked hot in it)

~anjelic~

Post by ~anjelic~ » Feb 8th, '06, 15:52

I think you should watch Dae Jang Geum. Really really good series and its different. It's long but definitely worth it.

kodoko

Post by kodoko » Feb 8th, '06, 16:24

busyizzy wrote:A main problem is that stuff on THIS board specifically is so overhyped! I mean, you have all those die-hard Full House and Song Hye Kyo and those type fans all over the place. Everywhere I look, there's someone screeching about how AMAZING Full House is - and honestly, it was a cute and amusing drama, but NOTHING totally amazing. The really good ones get glossed over because, why? Because of the fans. One of the really good ones that are subbed is Dae Jang Geum. That, I can say, is one amazing drama that I really appreciate. I think I saw the whole thing twice, once when it first came out, and once last year when I was in the vibe for good drama. A pretty good show similiar to Dae Jang Geum that's airing now that no one has even considered subbing is 'Seo Dong Yo.' Hwei Shin was also really really good. Of course, historical dramas are pretty hard ti translate, but the Korean dramas available here aren't the only ones that are available. Sure, the ones being subbed are the most 'popular' technically, but god, Lovers in Paris? What WAS that crap? Just because it has high ratings does not mean it's good. I mean, Brittney Spears was #1 in the country before, and most people I meet are really not that fond of her music. It's kindof the same thing.

Yap, I agree with you. Only the popular dramas are being subbed. I wanted to watch Seodongyo too but no one seems to want to sub this drama. Maybe, it is not popular or the drama is too long a project for the fansubbers to take up. (around 60 episodes). So, I actually went to another website to download a LQ version with chinese subtitles. But due to it is not so popular, I get poor seeding too.

After watching so many dramas, a lot of the korean drama started well and went downhill all the way(etc, What happened to Bali, Lover in Paris, Love in Harvard).
However, I am currently addicted to My Girl, it is really good, funny and not repeative like Full House and not too draggy like My Name is Kim Sam Soon.

Fortunately for me, I am normally pretty good at picking good dramas, so far the dramas I have picked are still watchable.

mentlkase

Post by mentlkase » Feb 9th, '06, 09:55

seodongyo is very popular and if u look hard enuff (and know some korean) sources aren't hard to find. if u just want raws, pm me and ill give u a link, (u need donkey tho)

kodoko

Post by kodoko » Feb 9th, '06, 10:38

mentlkase wrote:seodongyo is very popular and if u look hard enuff (and know some korean) sources aren't hard to find. if u just want raws, pm me and ill give u a link, (u need donkey tho)
Thanks, but i can only read english and chinese subtitles. I have been downloading Seodongyo more than a week, Not a single episode is done, it actually show how poor the seedings are.

patti0311

Post by patti0311 » Feb 10th, '06, 02:34

I was reading the comments about losing interest in K dramas. You are all right. After a while, the plot is the same. I think the only reason many still watch is for the actors. I was recently watching Wolf, the new series with eric and um tae woong. Although the plot is the usual love quadrangle, it is very funny too and I watch it for the entertainment. Um Tae Woong is very good in it. The Korean movies on the other hand are much better and definitely much shorter!!
I haven't watched many J dramas, but those that I have tend to be very weepy. The one I enjoyed was about two cops - a seasoned cop who was teamed with a young, scholar-type cop who goes by the book. It was very good. don't know the name fo the show but I thought the young cop was very attractive - don't know his name. Can any one fill me in on this show?
I heard a Love to Kill is very slow moving and after a while you will lose interest. seems it was a flop in Korea. Biscuit Teacher and Star Candy was good though - a slightly different theme of student falling for teacher. It has very funny moments but also very touching moments - quite well balanced. Try watching that one if you are tired of the usual melodramas. :roll

my girl addict

Post by my girl addict » Feb 10th, '06, 02:36

try "my girl" it's really good!