a program that cuts .avi files into separate files.

Discuss technical and geeky things here.
Hero

a program that cuts .avi files into separate files.

Post by Hero » Dec 22nd, '05, 01:59

I am yet to get a DVD-RW so Im still using tonnes of CD Rs, problem is I cant fit files greater than 700mb...for example I want to download the 1.01GB Hey hey hey music champ file and then want to split it in half so that I can fit it onto 2 CDRs
can anyone recommend me and good, easy to use, quick, free program that does this?
thx

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Dec 23rd, '05, 17:43

If you just want to archive the file it might the best to use winrar and create a rarset (e.g. 2 big files) and burn that. This way you can keep the file in original quality. Otherwise...

http://www.divx-digest.com/software/index2.html#cutjoin
http://www.videohelp.com/edit

Hero

Post by Hero » Dec 23rd, '05, 20:11

MoerkJ wrote:If you just want to archive the file it might the best to use winrar and create a rarset (e.g. 2 big files) and burn that. This way you can keep the file in original quality. Otherwise...

http://www.divx-digest.com/software/index2.html#cutjoin
http://www.videohelp.com/edit
thank you :)

flcia

How to cut video

Post by flcia » Jan 14th, '06, 04:22

Hi, anyone here can help me in how to cut videos?

yt_toshi
Virgin Islands (USA)

Post by yt_toshi » Jan 14th, '06, 04:35

videohelp or doom9 :P

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » Jan 14th, '06, 05:07

VirtualDub is a really good program for video editing.

melz

Splitting Files

Post by melz » Jan 18th, '06, 18:38

I have several dranas that I would like to save onto cds to watch later. But some of them are too big (over 700 mb).

I know it's posible to split the files, but I just don't know how. What kind of programs do I need to download to be able to split them?

If anyone knows of any tutorials explaining this, that would be REALLY helpful too. Thanks!!!!!!

cerberus

Post by cerberus » Jan 18th, '06, 18:44

You could do it with VirtualDubMod (aka Nandub) from doom9
Either by saving the file as a segmented AVI of size 700, and possibly go one step further and note down the duration of the first segment, and proceed to split the file properly (as segemented AVIs I have found to be a bit of a pain).

Is that helpful?

EDIT oh the threads have merged - that confused me for a second!
Last edited by cerberus on Jan 20th, '06, 00:16, edited 2 times in total.

minhl.

Re: How to cut video

Post by minhl. » Jan 18th, '06, 20:48

flcia wrote:Hi, anyone here can help me in how to cut videos?
I would recommend Easy Video Splitter.

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Jan 19th, '06, 15:35

cerberus wrote:Either by saving the file as a segmented AVI of size 700, and possibly go one step further and note down the duration of the first segment, and proceed to split the file properly (as segemented AVIs I have found to be a bit of a pain).
Yes, saving as segmented AVI is a bad idea. This option is not meant for producing playable files but only to create workfiles which will be auto-loaded as one big file later. The idea of segmenting is actually to break the 4GB filesize border of avi files (or rather the 2GB border for most cases) when capturing huge avi files with VirtualDub.

The segments are often not playable because they are not splitted at keyframe borders and the audio may also be async. Usually the segments have to be joined to produce a playable file.

melz

Post by melz » Jan 19th, '06, 17:49

Thanks!!

But I have another question now. If I want to save it as a .rar file like you said to, how would I do that?

cerberus

Post by cerberus » Jan 20th, '06, 00:12

Aaahh, is that what the segmented AVIs are for(!) I did wonder.... I usually use them to ascertain how many minutes of footage equates to 700Mb, then create two regions (as 50% of the footage usually doesn't work out exactly 50% of the filesize) and split accordingly.

As for winRar, (you cant play it without uncompressing - useful purely for achiving), make sure you have the latest version, then right click the video file, and select "Add to archive..." option. In the winRar box that pops up, change the "Split to volumes, bytes" option to "700m - CD-700M", for a CD. That should create two (or more) 700Mb files ready to burn and archive.

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Jan 20th, '06, 00:27

If you want to split only and compression is too slow for you then you can create an uncompressed archive and just store the files. Your video files are not very compressible anyway.

If you need more help...
In the folder where you installed WinRAR there should be a helpfile.
You should can also access the WinRAR help through the Windows Start menu and WinRAR's graphical frontend has a Help menu.
:wink:

melz

Post by melz » Jan 31st, '06, 04:14

thanks!!! But if I save it as a .rar, can I then save it to cd-rw?

cerberus

Post by cerberus » Jan 31st, '06, 21:36

Sure you can, but you can only watch it by sticking the Cd-rw back into the pc and then uncompressing.

melz

Post by melz » Feb 2nd, '06, 20:30

Thanks!! And just one last thing: for some of my files (under 700 mb) I only have soft subs. Can I stick those in the archived file with the video? How?

Thanks again!!

Maddie87

Any good splitter?

Post by Maddie87 » Feb 27th, '06, 13:49

Hi, i want to split an avi video, this way i can put it on a web site, you know like YouTube and other. The problem is when i do my research, i can't find one good splitter for free, they all split 50% only of the part i want. Can you advise me a good one for free who can do the whole splitting? and which one do you use?
thanks by advance

Lowest

Post by Lowest » Feb 27th, '06, 14:05

You could use virtualdub which is quite easy to use, there are other programs at Videohelp.com
There are also guides on that site if you need help as well as on http://www.doom9.org/

Maddie87

Post by Maddie87 » Feb 27th, '06, 20:53

thank you very much, i use virtual dub to hard sub but i didn't know that i could use it for the splitting too

Schala

Post by Schala » Feb 27th, '06, 21:44

Yeah, I was using Easy Video Splitter before I found out Virtual Dub could split avi too. And then I ran into some problems with Easy Video Splitter, where it wasn't splitting the video where I told it too. It was splitting a few seconds BEFORE I told it to split. Lol. That makes no sense to me...

But yeah, ever since I discovered Virtual Dub can split avi, I've been using that, and I haven't had any problems with it yet. ^^

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Feb 27th, '06, 21:50

Note that whatever tool you use, you can only split on key frames without re-encoding. That is why with some tools the split occurs somewhere other than where you specify, because the split is being done at the first keyframe before the point you specified. This means that VirtualDub reencodes. There is nothing wrong with that, I'm just explaining the why's and wherefore's.

Schala

Post by Schala » Feb 27th, '06, 22:01

pokute wrote:Note that whatever tool you use, you can only split on key frames without re-encoding. That is why with some tools the split occurs somewhere other than where you specify, because the split is being done at the first keyframe before the point you specified. This means that VirtualDub reencodes. There is nothing wrong with that, I'm just explaining the why's and wherefore's.
Ah...well now it makes sense as to why Easy Video Splitter wasn't working correctly. Most of the time it did split where I wanted, but it seemed like with a couple certain scenes, no matter what I did, it would keep splitting in the same place. It all makes sense now! :lol

Now, if only I could get this dvd to rip, or understand WHY it won't rip at least. :glare:

Maddie87

Post by Maddie87 » Feb 27th, '06, 22:18

oh thanks for the explanation, I am wondering how can i reduce the weight because I want to split an 500 MB files in 5 100 MB files but it keeps going up to 700MB even if I select a very little space

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Feb 27th, '06, 22:54

Not sure what "select a very little space" means, but if you want to reduce the size you will have to reduce the average bitrate. A combination of denoising and bitrate reduction CAN produce a smaller file with little image degradation, if done with care. My understanding is that VirtualDub has very good defaults for this (though I do not use it myself).

Note that reducing the dimensions of the image does not reduce the bitrate. It is still necessary to reduce the bitrate when resizing to smaller dimensions if you expect the output file to be smaller.

of _the_fire_roots

Post by of _the_fire_roots » Mar 3rd, '06, 04:05

google hjsplit. it can split any file, you just have to use hjsplit to rejoin them. its very good

Fantasio

Post by Fantasio » Mar 16th, '06, 12:52

I want to use VurtualDub to cut .avi file but I cant open the file by VirtualDub. It said " Couldn't locate decompressor for format "XVID"(unknown). VirtualDub requires a video for window(VFW) compatible codec to decompress video. Direct Show codecs, such as those used by Window Media Player, are not suitable"
I have installed codec pack in my computer.
Edit: I know how to solve this problem now :)

supastar85

Post by supastar85 » Jun 3rd, '06, 19:13

if you use or hav RecordNow Sonic! .. u can record data files onto a DVD-R ... it works for me n saved me frm using a 700mb cd-r!